(2010/11) November 2010 MTB

naf

me too if can cfm ger ger den can spree liao...

btw there was one of u who wen to Aust Gold Coast for holidays last few wks rite? i cant remember who was it.. so how was the trip? how was temp there? anything to do or not to do? cos im gg Gold coast also on the 28th June for 6 days cos there was a good promo by airline. but im abit concern cos my MIL commented tat i shldnt go cos preggy woman cannot go c animals... cos we gg to Seaworld where there is lots of animals n my #1 will sure love it... n the farm c sheep cutting fur, kangaroos, koala bears etc.

any of u heard of such concerns? now tat we cfm everything liao den sthg like tis comments come up... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Tris Mom,

Never heard of preggy woman cannot go see animal before.. I went to Melbourne early June and went to the Zoo with my family.. no one commented anything about it..don't worry too much and enjoy your trip!

Hi ladies,

I'm letting go of my Babyplus Prenatal Edu System for $200. Bought in March and it is still under warranty. Comes with original box and receipt as proof of purchase. Anyone interested pls pm me. Self-collect at Yishun or nearby vicinity.

trishmum, some old folks will say tat. My mil too. But this is old wives tale la.

Am havin blocked nose middle of nite n headaches, giddiness again past few days...thought i wont face tis un 2nd trimster [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Ya, I dun understand why cannot see animals, we see animals everyday, on e road, on tv, it's everywhere. Jus dun think too much, everything will b fine. I m facing my dog everyday and playing w him, dun see any issue w it. No one says anything wrong w it too. =) enjoy ur trip!

Tigger - oic. Hmm, I have no idea if my report indicates that, as I still have not read it yet. Will have to wait till 30Jun when I'll see my gynae. I'll be doing on detailed scan on 30Jun as well. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] I'll let u know about this if my report indicates the same as urs? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Tris Mum: Tht is rather queer..animals are part n parcel of our daily life. we see them, we even eat them.so it's kind of illogical rite?but oh well,since u have booked everything,just go ahead..enjoy your holiday & have a great time [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Im sooo envious of all the moms travelling..coz of my previous miscarriage, my whole family is sooo protective...im dying for a massage,relaxing by the pool...goodness!all those holiday-ing,ENJOY on my behalf..hehehehe

Animals:

My hubby even dun allow me to watch those animal documentary especially on monkeys and snakes..not only animals documentary, he also dun allow me to watch horror movies.

Anyone attend any wedding or birthday celebrations? Last Saturday, I had a wedding dinner and birthday celebrations. I didn't know that preggie are not suppose to attend 2 celebrations in one day. My MIL says that it will clash.

Dimple - Why not go for a staycation in SG instead of travelling overseas? At least you'll be able to do what you want. :p

Bluesoda - Hehe, never heard of this. Most of these are just old wives tales. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Ladies,

Back from Melbourne.. haha.. flew off immed after my Detailed Scan and knew baby's gender so we started shopping there.. not very cheap but more of stuff which we think we can't find very often in SG..

The elder say cannot see animal is due to 1) scare the bb will look like one ESP monkey 2) if the animal suddenly become crazy it might scare the MTb and then dong tai qi

but as mentioned these are old grandma's tale no need take so serious :p

staycation?tht's a first..but i live on my own..so there is nothing much to get away frm..but wat i really wanna do is get a massage..but im scared..juz in case sth goes wrong..so yea..have to patiently wait until 3 mths after delivery..then ill go for a nice short vacation..i told my hubby to be prepared to have a high cost vacation.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] with all the BORING classical music im made to listen..and eating n drinking all sorts of things i dun quite fancy..I TOTALLY deserve it!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Bluesoda,

I went for a baby shower n a house warming on the same day last week but no one said anything.. I think is up to u to believe it.. Me n my hubby not very pang dang so still ok

dimple,

I normally play classical music on my laptop or iPhone n put the earphone on my stomach and I watch DVD.. Haha..but I just started less than a week only.. Thinking of getting babyplus..

Dimple - haha, get away fr home and pretend that you're overseas also good. Hehe, can find those pre-natal massage places for a massage too. Hee, I totally agree with you that you deserve the pampering with all the things you're going through now. hehehehee.. Lucky u for staying on ur own, so won't need to go through PILs' naggings & weird beliefs. :p

ya... some old ppl also say cannot attend weddings, full mth, furneral etc... but like we all say its up to u whether u pan dang anot lor...

aiy... we all hor preggy got so much to sacrific...

Dimple (godblessus) - Yes im started to plan for one. I intend to give out cakes vouchers for my office collegues but dun intend to get those Bengawan Solo. Find it quite common.

Anyone has any better suggestions?

Anyway, I attended last saturday wedding dinner and birthday celebrations. As long as is those happy celebration, i find it no harm. I definitely try to avoid attending funeral and visiting to the hospital.

For full month, you may need to check with the other party whether they are pantang or not. Because some believe that the full month bb may start crying or fall sick cos they are "jealous" of the unborn baby.

For me, I avoid full month, funerals, and hospital visits. Will attend weddings and birthdays (other than bb birth and full month)

Nana,

Post natal massage will help to ease water retention, uterus to shrink back faster, improve blood circulations, clear lochia faster, etc.

I did attend fren's bb full month & wedding dinner. But avoid ppl's wedding in the morning event. Funeral & hospital visit definately is a no no case for most preg mommies.

piggydog (piggydog)- Oic. Think i should avoid baby full month too.

Post natal massage-

Heard that it helps in slimming too. My sis did the post natal massage and i find her much slimmer than before. No tummy at all!

I attended a funeral memorial service last week , went Alvernia to visit friend's newborn and also went SGH yesterday to visit husband's grandfather. For me, its ok cos when my grandmother passed away last year, my heavily pregnant girlfriend also came and stayed for very long to chit chat with me [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hpc your gf is not pantang that's why she still attend the funeral but most elderly are very particular about it. Last month my grandma was critically ill but my mom and aunties all forbid me to visit and when she passed away last month I was told by all elderly to avoid the whole funeral saying that it will crush. And my Hubby will represent me at the funeral. I shld pay respect to my grandma after I give birth. So I just listen And do as told

thanks tigger and bluesoda.

by the way, the post-natal massage should start how many days aft giving birth? aft full month?

Nana - If natural birth can start after 1-2week from birth. If Csection, need to check with the massage lady or ur gynae when to start, cos wound sensitive.

Tris Mum, regarding the animals - "can see, better not touch", so go ahead and enjoy the vacation. Your hubby can bring your little one wants to carry the koala or go close to the kangeroos, right?

I'm not pantang, had I been back home and if I had to attend any events that might potentially clash, I would check with the event organiser if they mind.

Classical Music:

HammieBao..u r soo cute!!you mean it actually works if we dont listen to it and the baby does?

n juz coz we put it on the belly the baby hears it?hmm...BIG QUESTION MARK!!

Animals:

Maybe coz im not chinese so the pantang-ness is lesser!

Living Alone/Holiday

Angel: Im afraid of prenatal massage..if they do it wrongly,then sth goes wrong...kinda sad..

ILs:

well,im personally quite pissed with my ILs.for 1 yr plus we were not on toking terms with them..then we HAd to tell them bout the pregnancy coz my SIL(hubby's wife) got preg last yr n didnt really tell us till much later..so we didnt wanna be like them.so we told them once the 2 mth+ mark passed..they acted soo nice n happy n all..always advising to eat this/avoid that..but Until now(im almost 5mths),they have not bought a single fruit or food or anything for me to take..how ANNOYING!!

it's juz a BIg FAT pretence...n they were like we will go for the BB shopping with you all coz we shopped for ur nephew's stuff..im like back off ppl..u didnt involve us then..n now u wannna get involved...arrghh...sorry juz had to let it out... SORRY to bore u gals

Dimple,

from the researh I did, baby can hear what's happening.. And I saw some device which is like a belt over the stomach with a few speaker on it.. So I guess it helps..

ILs,

I am not sure what happened to my MIL.. Don't know I'd menopause or what.. Suddenly getting more n more particular.. She also nv cook anything for me for pregnant.. In fact I can always find pineapple, papaya and the small banana (Which she say I cannot eat while pregnant..) at home.. And she like to pick on little little things which my hubby also cannot stand her.. She don't used to be like this.. Now we just keep everything simple n don't want to step on her tails..

hammiebao (hammiebao)

Maybe it could be due to menopause. Or it could be your MIL is ignorant about the food which preggie should avoid? You may wish to ask your hubby to talk to her. Some old people are like that, they wan their children to care for them.

PTB7476: Yeah, agree with you that most elderly are pantang about it. IN my case, my relatives were ok. My grandma passed awasy a month before my wedding and a few relatoves asked me how come I still went for the wake every night. Even my bf's parents then also visited. And then the funny thing is after the whoel thing, the monk instructed all of us to stay away from celebrations or funerals for the next 49 days. But thank God my relatives all ok, they all tuned up for my wedding without any problem. In a way, I am thankful. Can u imagine if one big group of them never come...then also very difficult.

Dimple - Mine said that she wana cook tonics and some weird dishes for me, but hb & I told her not to. Reason being that old folks may not know the real medicinal benefits/harm. There was once she even said tat she wana cook liver w vinegar during my 5th mth, sth about reducing the uterus' size. I was like huh? Should let it grow now what, reduce liao then wun bb feel cramp? So I told her no, & tat I hate vinegar.

But such tonics aside, I also never see any fruits or birdnest so far. To me, it's better not to have any from them. We'll never know what weird stuff old folks will come up with and force it on us. :p So whatever I wana eat, I'll buy them myself or get hb to buy. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] I'm happier that they leave my food intake alone. :p

hammiebao - I think ur MIL abit like mine, feel that she's losing her standing in the house. Just ignore her bah. Most impt thing is that ur hb is on ur side, so at least if things get worse, he'll be able to talk to his mom. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Ur MIL said that u can't eat small bananas ah? Mine said I can't eat those large ones like Del Monte. Haha [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Some unlucky ladies will have hard time getting along with ILs esp if staying under the same roof. Sure got conflict one unless bor chup like Angel ;)

I've got a fren whose MIL insists on doing confinement for her. Her MIL sleeps on her bed w/o asking & my fren got to sleep in another room... & her MIL never listen to her, she always do her own way cos she see herself as more experience mother. She will put my fren down and so my fren cried everyday while her MIL is there... so ke lian.

Dimple, women will go thru menopause & have mood swing. They will be extra sensitive, my own mother has a prob with my SIL & bro. I must say my SIL & bro has been nice but my mum will pick on small things they do or did not do & things that happened donkey years ago. My SIL & bro just ignore her these days when they come back to my parents place during weekend. Even though my mum is not extreme with the rest of us but I can see the changes in her after menopause. I really hope I dun become like that when I grow old. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

yea..i guess the most important thing is that we dont turn out to be such ILs in the future...

will we remember or will it juz be a natural characteristic that will grow into us?

hmmm...

Haha, I think I'm the bochap DIL and abit bad also. I don't really buy stuff for them or go out with them etc. We just live our own lives and just happen to stay under one roof. They will always packet food fr the canteen they work in, and my hb & I will either cook or eat out for dinner. So far, all those food that she advises, I'll juz nod my head, eat what I want, and refrain from common stuff like pineapple, cooling foods. But sometimes really can't get along with my MIL, esp after they said won't smoke in house, but continue to.

Jewel - Sounds like ur fren got a really bad MIL. She must be very glad when her confinement ended.

MIL,

Just hope that she will be back to normal when menopause done.. haha..I insist that I will stay with my family during confinement.. and my MIL don't know much about all that (despite she has 3 kids) so she also don't border..

Prenatal Pilate,

wanna ask those who attended last week, I can just wear tights and long tee right? thanks!

hi ladies!

had joined this thread a looooong time back but had bn too busy to come back often..am going to 18 weeks now, and already having backache! didn't remember it being so early with #1 leh..maybe age is just catching up with me..my detailed scan will be in early july, can't wait to find out gender! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

re:pantang... Actually some families are just more pantang then others lah..my grandma passed away early on in my first trimester, and i flew all the way to penang to pay my respects with hubby..my family felt it was ok, and we gave "pek kim" also. In my POV, it's my own grandma, and she'd bless the baby, not harm it right? as for attending celebrations i.e. weddings, full month, i'd ask the ppl inviting me, since sometimes they are the ones that are particular about these things as it may "take away their luck" (2 good things to celebrate better than one in my POV.. ;p)

preggie foods:

we can't eat papaya? i thot it was just green papaya that's off limits? i've bn taking lots of papaya to prevent constipation to for the vitamin C cuz i don't want to fall sick whilst preggie!!!

Abt visiting animals, to some sense it has scientific explaination to it.

Some gynaes say we shld nt get close to stray animals. U nvr knw wat thy hv. I also read fr a pets' forum tat there was a dog owner who got miscarriage twice n gynae say it is becos of her dog. Finally, she has to give up her dog and manage to give birth successfully.

Lilyn : I also heard can't take papaya from my colleagues. Not sure why, but my mum did mentioned that the last few weeks in T3 can't take cos of risk of jaundice.. I myself am prone to turning yellow when I take too much Carrots, Tomatoes or any stuff that has orange pigments, so have not been taking too much now aleady..

angel: ya my mother also say cannot take those big bananas like Del Monte. so just in case, i have stop taking bananas regardless small or big since i know im preggy since still got other fruits around to eat [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

oh ya i recalled u mentioned before ur MIL like smoking in house rite? have u have announced ur preggy news to them liao? maybe can ask ur hubby to remind them tat preggy shld not take too much 2nd smoke..bad for both mummy n bb leh..

Ermmm: how come I searched Internet and said tomato is good to cure jaundice? I have heard of tomato wil cause heart burn during pregnancy but won cause jaundice. Anyway, Hopefully won cause jaundice coz I have been taking lots of tomatoes..

Angel, as long each mind own biz is ok. V scared of those domineering ones & like to interfere with their children's life. That day, my MIL suggest to hubby to name our bb with 1 character cos she said easier to write. I almost faintz... so chi-na, yucks! Although she oni suggests & I never say anything, but in my heart I said no way Im going to listen to her.

After my fren know her MIL is like tat, my fren now rather pay for CL for her 2nd confinement now. She die die also dun wan her MIL to come & live with them... **once bitter twice shy**.

Hammiebao: yes u can wear tighs & T-shirt. That's wat I wore last week. ;)

Papaya:

During my first visit to my gynae, I asked if there's any food that I cannot eat and he mentioned only "Papaya", he say all other food ok.. even raw food he say as long as it is clean then its ok..

Nana : A few years back, I was told by a GP that I looked yellow. She told me restrict my intake of papaya and carrots. On afterthought, I realised that I looked yellow because I was taking 1 tomato a day during that time. Jaundice is a bit like turning yellow, right? So I try not refrain from them lar.

confinement lady:

at first it was my 5th aunt who kena force by my another aunt to do confinement for me....which I will of course pay her, but MIL just called.... she say hiring confinement lady expensive, she do for me..... (I never ask her to pay CL. I can pay CL myself also...) And when I ask her does she know how to cook.... she say she ask ask ard...then she can do the confinement together with my new maid (intend to hire one as both hubby n me working)

Oh man! there goes my hope for yummy confinement food which can only eat after birth! =(

worst, instead of being treated like queen, now have to entertain in laws... =<

~demoralising

I heard cannot take green papaya from TCM practicians. Say will miscarriage. Also read fr somewher tat papaya contain sm enyzme tat cn cause miscarriage if take too much.

But I still tak papaya occasionally. I think it is a gd fruit. Anyway, everything also can eat, but in moderation lor.

Fruits:

Huh? cannot take papaya??? how come so many things cannot take? Durian don take (big babY & heaty), mango don take (v heaty), banana don take, dragon fruit cooling don take too much, now papaya...

But my doc only say don take coconut & pineapple, other things can take, even raw sashimi. He say the reason y raw food was not encourage for fear of food poisoning which will be difficult for the mother..... which I am havin now... mild diarrhoea plus tension headache, but it sure felt worse than when I had it b4 preg..

Back