(2010/08) August 2010 MTB

suika,

i am going BARNEY concert. scare volume too loud for bb. nevermind, duckling will go first, and she can feedback before i go the following day.

penguin, your hb's heartbeat sot sot cause too stress? no worry la. that one just treat it as exercise for him, otherwise u wil go into depression v soon. dun think so much.

teary babe, i have a strong support for full expressing bm. my hb fed my girl when he has time so that i oni need to pump. when he was not around (posted overseas) then i do it myself.

the oni problem with pumping is, I have to pump even during midnight(even when baby can sleep through le) otherwise supply will go down. so a bit more xin1 ku3.

QQ / MVH, okok, then I think I will let my boy to finish the BM that I store in freezer before I back to work first & store the new 1 so that the storing period not more than 3 mth...

sunflower, haha, welcome to EBM group... actually EBM is more work & u should proud of it if u decided to do so... hehe... i play play to let my boy to latch just now, he sucked for 10mins then sleep liao.. then my another breast is leaking badly & i need to go n pump out again... at the end, double work !! let's why I always prefer fully pump... keke...

QQ, last year i went to Thomas show & the concern sound was quite loud le... Anyway, will let u know abt barney show situation after I watch it la [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Now waiting for the massage lady to come... going bath first [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

just now i mix 10ml of EBM (frozen) with my elder gal FM for her to drink.. she said not nice.. lol..

my CL went to talk to my PIL this morning about not enough ingredients to cook for her meals.. so daring n open.. lol.. no need me to speak for her.. save me the trouble..

duckling, now our freezer got those auto defroze(thaw) cycle system.. so that the freezer will not collect ice on the top layer.. hence, not good to keep EBM for more than 3 months.. unless u bought those freezer that do not have this system..

jialat.. my legs n arms aching.. dunno issit becoz stay in aircon room too long or not..

Only deep chest type freezer can store EBM for 6mths. Normal domestic freezer is 3mths cos they have thawing cycle so that ice do not form in the freezer.

Btw, do we need to get those small brushes for cleaning the teats? Or the sponge ones from Pigeon is ok to use?

I see everyone talking about breast feeding. I feel relieved.

This is my 5th day and i already gave up latching as a 1st time mum. My gal dun like to latch on my inverted nipple and my the other nipple lack of colostrum. I had been so stressed about when my BM kick in. In the end, I cried. Now my husband said we gave her FM as she always cried for milk.

How long does our breast milk kick in?

ng,

let me check with my massage lady later if she's still available, cos she do alot of ppl,

she even do regular for stroke patients and she even have young customers like 12yo...

Sunflower & tearybabe,

I also don't want to stress myself... eventhough i know latch on will stimulate the supply

but my boy suckle a while and got fedup too... ebm also got its advantage...

I'm more relax with CL feeding instead of me latching on...

cheekrene,

by right if u keep expressing out the milk, it should kick in already...

try warm water towel massage...

mine kick in about 4th day but due to block ducts on the nipple, i can't express out then engorgement...

my massage lady says it's bcos nipple dirty that block the milk from coming out,

after the massage and clearing from her, it really helps alot...

i rem previously before we gave birth someone talked about dirty nipple... maybe sometimes that's the cause also...

eeyore,

i think i am not trying hard to express milk. i was so stressed last night till i cried. i can feel the harden on my breast so i should pump now, right?

i already have red dot on my nipple as my gal suck too hard.

cheekrene, normally the milk will kick in ard 3-4 days after delivery.. drink more water and maybe you can also massage your breasts to simulate..

my gal is impatient last nite when latch on.. struggling.. i think the milk flow too fast for her to catch up.. sigh.. really hope she can grow up faster and drink more n faster.. me lazy to pump.. keke.. i latch my #1 for 22months, except go back work.. hoping to do the same for #2..

anyone here latch & also pump?

i wanna try latch this time. cos tinking of the conveniences when gg out... btl free.. & i agreed double job if were to express out also..now i try to latch more during the day, maid btl feed at night. whereas i contd to pump at night. dont tink i can make it to latch him at night. cos he dont slp well beside me & i must keep waking up to latch him.. si bei tired.. plus my #1 also same room with me.. if he wake up , i cant possible look after two..

cheekrene,

depends on individual.in any case is ok to supplement bb with FM. but u still need to try to latch bb to stimulate ur milk supply. once milk kick in, u can pump diligently to keep up the supply.. alternatively, i have other frens also doing exclusively pumping.. got over supply tat she has to do milk bathe for bb... my last one my milk kick in 6th days.. tat time latch & pump at the same time.. after latch bb awhile i pump. super tired.. but must be determined.

eeyore_03, dirty nipples will cos block ah. OMG. I'm the one toking abt dirty nipple leh. Hope mine won't block leh. Will try to clean when I bath now.

Hmm.. so Bb do drink the dirt on the nipple if its not block ah?

MVH,

okie, i am going to pump later as i am sweating. trying to cool down before i can do pumping. i sweat a lot since i discharge.

alibaba,

since you mention 6th days will kick in, i will start to pump diligently today. thanks!

alibaba, same here. i tot latch can b v sinnang when i go out, so i will try when cl left. see how la. might end up full tiem pumping again though. i keep u updated with my latch plus pumping problems then. now dunno yet

eeyore.. oops.. i not enough sleep, must be.

Eeyore,

thanks.

Duckling,

your massage lady good?

Cheekrene & alibaba,

me try to latch on my girl for 2 days. Probably her mouth small n my nipple skin still not yet tough, so my nipple tuo4 pi2 n bleeding. N my girl hav a bit jaundice. So in the end I decide to pump n let her hav EBM for better control of intake. Now my nipple ok oledi, try to latch her on again during day time but really tiring. My girl a bit impatient. She suck few times then sleep, suck few times then sleep again. I try b4 put her on my breast for 2 hours in the end she still cry for more. Think direct latch on really need lots of patient...

n_g,

i had latch my gal for 3 days, still she got jaundice too. i also did not give much colostrum to her yet. that's why. she is also impatient so she suck very fast till she gave up. and this is my first time, i didnt know i got to pump diligently. now i know what to do...

eeyore. haha!! my eyesight not v good one. since m/c last year. now it seems like the problem is back.

my gal? she is with nanny during day time, nanny brings her to school for 3 hours in the am. she is ok in general.

QQ,

i also find it's very encouraging to know that you give EBM for 11 months. cos they say pumping exclusively may result the supply to die off faster than latching..so now im motivated!

duckling,

i also motivated by you becos u can pump so much! i also feel that i have to latch and then pump, its double work..

eeyore,

ya i also feel very stress out to pump and latch..

cheekrene,

u gota be hardworking to pump every 3-4hrs.. then ur milk will build up more..i rem i have colostrum first few days, but only 10ml each time..very little too.. but i continue to pump, now my supply is more..so jiayou!

Cheekrene,

me too first time handle baby with jaundice. Last time my boy non at all. in order to giv her enuff milk intake, I think EBM is my only choice cos I dun wan to giv her formula. Now pump every 3-4 hourly. My ss kick in by 4th day. So still ok lah. =)

just nipple injured so super pain when pumping...

i had to go out for a while to run an errand, so left bb with maid. she tried to feed my bb 160ml of EBM within 1h. in the end my poor bb vomit everything out and my precious EBM was all over the floor. gek sim.

mums who are pumping exclusively,

which pump are you using? i currently only have one Avent manual pump. it's working fine but can get quite tiring. my friend has loaned me her Medela PIS, but I need to get spare parts for hygiene purposes. Not sure if it is worth it?

ladies,

check with u gals, how much weight gained should we expect a newborn within 1 wk? my boy last week weighed 4kg (after a few days stay in hosp)..but yesterday i measured him, he is already 5kg.. am i overfeeding him?

Ya man! I hope keep on pumping can increase my ss leh.. 3 wks aft my del liao, the most I can pump out is 100ml only.. If not only 50-60ml only..

Cheekrene: i also hav inverted nipples like u, sad to say my supply is not much but I still manage to pump out!! I'm on total EBM I never latch on her ever since I discharge gem hospital. I'm sure u can try to massage b4 u pump! Jia you!!

I pump exclusively.. Only when baby not that hungry n I'm warming the milk that I let him latch on first.. So far his intake is ok.. Cos he gt jaundice so I bottle feed him breastmilk to make sure he gt enuf n hence can have more bowel movements n get rid of jaundice stuff

sunflower,

same. i also have around 10ml of colostrum for initial latching... after that it drop.

n_g,

true. my nipple was quite pain after i just pump 15 mins ago.

winnie,

you really gave me confidence. it's not only me who dun latch. i will consider total EBM since my gal is quite greedy.

alibaba, me! me! I'm the one that latch and also pump at same time. I latch on fully but after bb zzzz, I still pump for another 10 mins. I don't pump after every latch but I try to pump at least once during day time and then pump again at 12am. I used to also pump after the latch at 4am but I'm too sleepy these days...... Its more siong and I think I'm crazy to do this. Now I have accumulated 1.5 litres of EBM in my fridge and never use. And a few days ago, my hubby forgot to shut my freezer door tight and I think my frozen EBM got melted a bit inside...... Was so angry with him then but he's so guilty, I forgave him. Ha! End up, I just let my EBM refreeze ..... Boh pian, heart pain for me to throw all away leh.

Saffy, Medela PIS is v good. But the suction power is quite strong so u gotta get used to it. May get sore nipples if pump for too long duration... but once seasoned, its okay.

n_g, I think all mummies will get sore nipples or bleeding or tuo pi in the 1st week...... once nipples seasoned liao, its ok. I even had blisters on my nipple... Now 4th week liao and my bb created a new blister on my left side..... so painful but boh pian, i still let him suck.... gotta keep improving his latch.

saffy,

previously i was using pigeon manual pump (got it cheap)..but it was really frustrated bcos the yield is little.. and so tiring and time consuming.. so hubby asked me to buy medela PIS .. i got it and it does serve me very well..

saffy, i also use avent manual pump.. tiring.. but in control.. u can check how much is the spare parts.. if within tens of dollars, then can consider getting ba.. avent spare parts cost $20.

160ml for 1 feed is too much leh.. tell yr maid to reduce to 80-100ml..

sunflower, ur boy gains 1kg within 1 week?? when my gal discharge, she lost 100g, then after 3 days gain back to birth weight. 2 weeks later for jaundice check, my gal gains 700g..

Sunflower, I think babies supposed to put on 1kg per month... your boy put on 1kg in one week?? Maybe its your weighing machine not accurate? If u r overfeeding him, he will puke one..... so if he's happy and not puking, you should be doing fine.

QQ, for loud concerts, my friend went to buy those ear mufflers (those used in winter

saffy

if ur fren loan u her medela pump for long, it's worth to get the spare parts.. i'm using medela PIS. so far i'm happy with it... initially i used manual avent pump, it's good.. but my hand tiring plus waste more of time... & i almost give up, til i got medela PIS.. i cont'd to BF my boy for a while. hehe..

n_g

overall. to me i feel latching on is more tiring cos cant gage bb drinking qty & then must keep on attend to him when he whine.. -_-

my sil told me bb drinking qty calculation is

15ml x weight of bb = bb drinking qty per hr..

she was ex kk nurse, tat's how hospital calculate.

meaning my bb is est 3kg , he shld be drinking 45ml per hr leh...

Gt to drink lots liquid.. Hot red date longan tea.. Or hot soups .. Then will increase the mill supplyZz .. I remember a lactation consultation said this before : " a dry well wun produce water " so in order to have milk supply.. Naturally u need to have intake before u have output....

Dun drink cold water as the old folks say it's not gd for the breastmilk

oops, my message kena cut off.

QQ, for loud concerts, my friend went to buy those ear mufflers (those used in winter) to put on her baby so it will soften the sounds.....

ann

the FBM defreeze abit cannot be used again leh.. i tink u have either throw it away or do a milk bath or foot spa for urself liao..i know it's a waste but the quality of milk no good already leh...

i different with u.. i dont want to latch him at night. cos i wan to slp better.. however i still wake up around 3am to pump... although broken slp rather than keep waking up to tend to bb...

i latch him liao den i pump.. the amount quite pathetic about 30 - 40ml.. meaning he got drink while latching but he still whiney... i give him ebm. & he can finish 2 oz.. ermmm.. also duno.. sometimes he drink alot . sometimes dont..

Ann, MVH, winnie

I also duno if the weighing machine is accurate..i weigh myself , then carry the baby and weigh again.. then calculate from there..is that correct? My hb did the same leh..outcome is the same leh.. we feeding him 100ml 1.5-3hrs, depending if he poo and pee a lot, he is hungry easily, yell like mad.. No, he didn’t puke, yet slp soundly after each feed..

duno u guy's bb same anot..

my bb.. one moment slp soundly next moment. can hear him "aiiiiirrrr"" den when u walk over & see him. he is slping soundly.. next moment. hear him air again..

y like tat one..

alibaba,

me me... my girl also does that... i heard her sound so went over to check but she was sleeping soundly... i walked away, she make sound again.

even at night, she can make many noises...

sunflower

is like that one ah?? i dun rem my #1 like tat leh.. he dont whine for nothin.. this time keep walking over & see wat happen... how come stretching will air.. funny..

Alibaba, yes my bb is like dat.... Agree w sunflower tt they r stretching... So nowadays he make this sound, I don't wake up to check on him......

ya.. at night the sound worst... tat's y i tink he cant slp with me.. else i gonna be zombified... the sound like phelgm in his nose. or he got difficulty breathing...

mi latch n pump...yest nite lagi best....latch on 1 side i pump at the same time on the other.....coz it's dripping like tap yest nite....duno how come....v waste if let it drip all on my clothes

suika

i oso got latch & pump at same time but many times i just let it drip.. lazy to prepare pump to pump the other side... or u can get those avent breast shield -- duno correct name anot.. to put on other breast to keep the milk..

sunflower

the phelgmy sound is normal.. most bb have it... my bb drink full bm. oso got the same sound. last time i asked PD for my #1 of the same sound. pd said it's normal... no issue to it... let it be..

Csy,

yes! Tat day my hb bring my girl to polyclinic to chk jaundice level, the doctor told him to BF, drink a big cup of drinks before n after pump.

Ann,

I dare not latch my girl on when injured my nipple cos it's bleeding. Even when pump can c milk become strawberry juice.

Cheekrene: no choice we can't latch so we juz pump out! In order to gif her breastmilk. I keep on telling myself each pump gt hw many ml not impt ad long I keep on pump got milk flow come in can liao. Heehee!!

My gal will cry like hell if I latch her maybe my milk flow v little she drink till pek chek so I gif up latching..

Alibaba: my gal will make tis type of noise, 1st few days, I tot wat happen keep on walking to her room n check. Now I

use to it liao, as long she dun cry out loud shld be ok.

n_g: That sounds like a lot of bleeding.... then u better let that side rest and air dry it.

suika: dripping like tap?? wah... so good your supply.

Back