(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

btw we are in need of the haenim play yard . Another mummies who are able to bring a panel ( including the yellow connecting piece) for the bash please let us know. We are looking at 8 pieces and please remember to label them.

thanks

1)Lynn

2)Annie

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

Tomorrow, Kayden will be turning 1. So fast. I still remember On 24th June last year at this time, I am lying in the labour room enduring the labour pain despite the epidural. Haha! Time really flies.

Wow so many babies sick, mine too. Was down with fever flu cough phlegm... Now only left cough n phlegm... Really tired taking care my boy, plus my mum not ard... Super tired!

Btw I need some advice, my boy is not feeding v well, he will b turning 11 mths this 30th n yet he weights only 7.45kg. The first thing my pd commented was his size, sooo skinny she said. Any babies here abt the same age here? Can share with me ur bb's weight? Should I be very concern???

And can anyone share with me how to cook porridge for bb? I tried many different methods le but he only eat 3 mouth then stop already, any other alternative besides porridge??

Thanks in advance!

Bd bash: sorry I do not hv the hareim panels, will be there earlier to help out thou!!! Thanks so much for organizing!

yes [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] ann .. time flies, i absoulutely agree. our little ones are alrdy not so babish looking now that they are coming to 1

Happy 1st birthday Kayden!

Hi kepsis, mine oso don quite like porridge le, she like watever I put into my mouth! Keep pulling my shirt somemore. She's 8.2kg but think as long she's drinking ok then I don worry abt the weight.

iherb

i can spree other items. pls let me know what. my collection points are all in town. do send me an email [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hi Kepsis,

how about K's milk intake? Besides the usual porridge have u tried cereal, instant porridge, or pasta? u can try adding his fav fruit or veg puree to the cereal , porridge and pasta too. Bottomline keep trying the different combination , jia you!

How about bread and pancakes? i know some mummies are giving bread and pancake already..

Hi quartzie: ya same here! He likes to eat wat I eat, must be fr my same bowl, but I refuse to feed him my food cos not good right?

Hi Geri, for milk he's taking 210ml abt 4 times a day, my pd says tts v little considering tt he's not taking much solids. Ya I tried giving him those bottles one fr happy times or heniz lor. For tt he eats more then porridge, I usually mix 2 scoop of cereal with abt 1 third of the bb foods. I never try pancakes cos no time to do it!!

Asked my hubby to help take care of my boy for a min, next thing my boy fell head down from our bed to the floor!!

He kept crying & now asleep, which is not even his nap time@ is it cuz he hurt his head? My HB said to send him to.hospital. wat shall I do??

MrsLong: he is probably tired from the crying..

just monitor first .. see if he vomits or shows restlessness or any other symptoms.. any visible bumps?

Kepsis: his milk intake is good! but could it also be that he is feeling full from the milk hence lower solid intake.. try adjusting ur milk intake/solid time.. play around the different options again. I just dropped one milk feed for a solid feed so now my gal drinking ~700 per day

No visible bumps but he fell from quite a height, that's why am worried.

Ok will monitor later when he is awake. Hopefully no side effects. Stupid HB really useless lor. Best thing is he blames me! Winz lor.

junie, yes monitor your baby. http://www.babycenter.com/0_falls_397.bc

husbands usually like that...haiz. I'm thinking of getting my baby to sleep on the mattress on the floor. Has anyone tried that?

My baby is also getting fussier when eating. She will spit the food out, if she doesn't like the taste. But she will always eat her baby biscuits and puffs!!! So fussy. I do feed her wholemeal fine grain bread sometimes. I also got her to try some samples from Petite Bowl at United Square, maybe will try to duplicate the recipes.

Julie: yup am letting my boy sleep on the mattress on the floor, and I put my bed on the floor too so all 3 of us sleeping on the floor. I quite like that cos easy for me to see him if he wakes up at night n also he feels more secure knowing mummy n daddy is beside him, jus tt I might hv problem weaning him off tt next time.

Junie: my boy fell fr quite a distance some time ago n had a big ba Lu Ku on his head, but he was ok, eating n playing as normal so I never do anything. U jus monitor ba, if he's still as playful after he wakes up so shld b ok.

Kepsis,

S just turned 11 mths yesterday n weighing 8.6kg. His weight was previously 8.9kg. He is eating well so I guess is too active bah. How u cook the porridge? Normally I would cook stock then use the stock to cook porridge. In this way, the porridge would be tastier n have more nutrients since they can take alot of food at one time. My typical stock includes tomatoes, potatoes, sweet corns, carrot n meat (either chic or pork). Sometimes I will try out diff combi. S loves his porridge n normally can finish 1 full pigeon green bowl.

Julie,

My boy been sleeping on mattress on floor since he was 6+ mths cos by then he could pull himself into a standing position n his cot can't be lowered. But I put double layer mattress on the floor, ie 1 adult single size mattress then on top I put his bb mattress. This way, can avoid the "wet air" (shi qi) from the floor. My mom insistented tat we do it this way cos she said the floor is too "cooling".. Lol..

Sun Tan, u so good.. Still cook stock to cook porridge... :)

Mine just simple.. Cook the rice abit soft & mashy.. either pork or fish.. carrort or pumpkin.. No more le.. :D

Sun & Kepsis, I tried bb to sleep on mattress last night but she is too active when falling asleep. She will roll out of the mattress onto the floor and wake up! I let her sleep in the cot in the end.

Kepsis: My bb is never a big fan of porridge, recently is even worse- eating less than half a bowl of pigeon bowl on bad days. I also never use stock before for porridge, I just cook like Hershey's, but I did try to add in dried scallops, wolfberries for more taste. Other things I add in are pumpkin, tofu, egg yolk, carrots, veg, meat. Mix and match. But for fish, I will steam it first with tomato and ginger, and add into the porridge when ready.

Julie: My bb also tried the food from Petit Bowl before and I have taken their menu too. Haha! Bb does not really like the food though. I think it tastes good but is a tad too exp!!

Did G scale over her cot..? Why do you want to let her sleep on mattress on the floor.?

Ann: How was K's bday!!? Hope he has lots of fun and hugs!!

Hershey,

I cook the stock overnight using slow cooker. Very easy, just dump everything in n on switch. Next morning off it then use the stock n boil porridge. Weekdays at my mom place think he only eat meat (either fish or pork) n carrot, then weekends when I cook, I make sure he have at least 1 vege, so it's fish, 1 vege n 1 some other type of food. Then add ikan bilis powder.

Julie,

S's mattress is blocked on all sides cos he is a super roller when comes to sleeping. The right side is block by his cot, left side by my bed, top side is by the wall n the only opening which is the bottom, I blocked it using pillows.

Thanks all for the advice. Monitored my boy for a night. Luckily he is alright.

Actually my boy sleeps on the mattress on the floor with me in his room. Bought a king size mattress cuz else not enuff space for him, hehe. My HB sleeps on our bed in the master bedroom.

hi sun_tan, may i know where u purchase the ikan bilis powder? You blend the ikan yourself or is it come in powdered form?

Yup own self made de. But this time round is one of the Mommy's maid made for us n we paid for the ikan bills plus some labour cost [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

very long nv come in here to post...coz I'm more active in Aug2011 MTB ;P

anyway, seems like my girl is quite chubby. at 11mth, she's 10kg! ;P

kepsis: my girl eats a lot of stuffs. We just started giving her McDonald's pancakes (just pancakes, no butter no honey). Maybe you can try giving ur son some fruits? Mix banana into cereal? Apple puree? Fruits are naturally sweet, so maybe can help stimulate his appetite? Apples and Banana are the simple and good. ;) NTUC got sell baby pasta, i bought recently to cook for my girl and she quite like it. I will boiled the pasta together with broccoli, then mash the broccoli and add in some meat (either chicken/salmon/cod fish).

Tks for the advice, oki I just put in pork bones, carrot n tofu into the slow cooker, hopefully he will eat more the 3 spoon tmr! Should I still blend the porridge after it is cooked? And ikan bills powder is it just blend the ikan bilis?

Charliebrown: Ya, he enjoyed himself a lot. Was full of smiles the whole day. But when my first aunt arrive, she went to forcefully hug him. Shocked him big time and he keep crying very frequently. Hai... I told her don't get near him cause see her sure cry since she shocked him like that. She don't believe. Sure enough, every time she walked near, he cry big time. Calm him down le, then she will try her luck again. So angry. Then she say why my boy so scared of strangers, never bring him out is it, must bring him out more. Hear Liao I also angry. You make my son cry and still say such thing to me. He played with everyone and smile at them lo except you.

Ann: some relatives are just so like that ! I am pissed reading ur post too ...

haiz... I hate having a party for my child when others trying to ruin it... so upset... my BB upcoming bday is also a pissed to me thou not even started ...

mainly invited are my HB's frds n his family(no extended ones lar) i have to come out 50% share of the buffet ... my side only have 10pax coming only (family + frd + colleagues)

bloody hell HB...

Kepsis:ikan bilis powder, first you must soak for awhile, then dry them. Then you must remove its head and stomach (you can do it in one pluck, your thumb must just cover both head and stomach before you pluck). After that just blend into fine powder. Please keep the powder in a fridge. It can last very long if its inside the fridge. If not will turn mouldy!

I add 1 teaspoon into G's lunch everyday.

As for pasta, you can add tomato sauce as well into it. I buy those canned tomato sauce (look for those that says no preservatives etc). Then you can add in some chopped vegetables like celery, mini carrots etc.

Ann: such horrid aunt! Luckily K still enjoyed his bday and not spoilt by such pple. There will always be such pple around in our life.

Beannie: I minimize the no. of pple I invite cos I don't want such fuss. And I just hope my PILs will not keep snatching my son away.

Jaclyn: I think you miss a step? Need to dry fry or oven bake too right, before blending?

oh ya!! hahaha sorry!!

How to make Ikan Bilis Powder:

- Buy Ikan Bilis from market preferably because you can tell the uncle/auntie you want the ones that are not saltish (for babies)

- Soak them (if you buy those from supermarket in a packet kind, they are very saltish, so I suggest you soak already, dump the water and soak again)

- Remove head and stomach of ikan bilis

- Ikan bilis has to be dry before the next step

- Fry in pan (with no oil), or oven bake them. I use the small toaster that is to toast bread those kind. Bake until crispy

- Blend into powder and store into fridge

- 1 teaspoon into their porridge is enough

Halo everybody!

Most of our babies will be turning one year old soon! Time really flies. Now that the archives is back in action, I went and search for my post where I announce my birth experience! Did you do the same thing like me? Hahah!! :p

Jasline: thanks, will go try it!

My attempt at making porridge failed again, think I put too much rice n too little stock, the porridge became wet rice. Arghhh. Plus K not feeling well so refusing all food except milk today. Previously I was worried cos he always play dun sleep, now I'm worried cos he kept sleeping. Woke up at 7 am drank his milk then went bk sleep till 11.30 I woke him up eat my porridge, then failed so fed him milk bath him then he went bk sleep again. N he poo after every feed. Hmmm dunno if it's dirrohea?

I hv never tried making porridge myself, hehe. Just went to buy the Bellamy organic baby porridge, saves the hassle of experimenting with the water/rice level :p

My boy only eats home made porridge at my IL's plc.

Kepsis: Initially my boy also refused porridge (I cooked till mushy then add puree). After many tries I discovered he only eats porridge that is yummy - meaning must be tasty de then he will eat! So now I put in an ice-cube of chicken stock, little silver fish powder, pork slices (for taste only), veg, and cook the gorr hee right at the end just before eating so it is not overcooked. If fish is overcooked he will not eat and will stick out his tongue! Chicken stock is quite easy to prepare - 2 chicken thighs w skin removed will make 1 ice cube tray of frozen stock.

Ikan bilis powder: I use silver fish instead of ikan bilis coz lazy mummy la, no need to remove the head / stomach. Just need to soak 30 min to remove salt, dry, then toast and blend into powder.

Chicken stock: sorry ah need step by step instructions to cook stock n also like how much water to one chicken thigh?? Heh cos actually I dun cook at all last time so no experience at all.

Porridge: should it be watery? Then after tt do u blend??

Also now my boy having fever (on n off) n have v lose watery stools n he poos like 5 6 times a day and now keep on very tired, stays awake for like 2 hrs then sleep for 4 hrs. He got cough n phlegm, any bbs here got this type of symptom b4? Am thinking dunno is diarrhea, not used to milk powder ( used to give 2 scoop similac, 1 scoop nan n 2 scoop friso cos they were sample so wanna use them us n continue on similac, so now only giving similac) or teething (but heard fever won't be high till 39) or viral fever??? Went to pd last week le cos had mild fever n cough, then went Kkh cos fever went up to 39.5 on sat then now I dunno to go bk to pd or not, scared is just me being gan Cheong spider.

kepsis, my girl nv likes porridge too. at the very most and rare times she can finish like half a bowl. but as she grows older, she eats lesser & lesser porridge. sometimes only 5-6 spoonfuls per day. she eats cereal as 2nd meal of the day and also about 2 tablespoons but nowadays cannot even finish! sometimes she only has milk whole day without solids cos she dont want.

i added cereal to her milk bottle and that is the only way i get her to take solids. i really dunno wad to do, my pd says we just have to keep offering... eg. if she doesnt want solids at this feed, we try again at the next feed. dun attempt to feed her milk/top her up with milk if she eats v little just because we are afraid she will go hungry, or else it's back to square 1.

sometimes i will give her snacks like gerber's puffs, bread, bun, or bits & pieces of wad i eat as long as it is not oily or fried. she also likes sharing our food.

at 11 mths she is about 10kg, but overall she slimmed down a lot and not as chubby as last time le. i also think perhaps they are getting active ba.

hi all mummies, Zann was born 16th July.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/5658717.jpg]

Zann is taking 5 x 210ml everyday, plus 2 times porridge. Recently she was down with bronchitis. Her weight is now 10kg.

hi kepsis, you can try putting marmite to the porridge to make it more tasty. Alternatively, you can make si shen soup to improve the appetite.

Else, try this. I tried this and it was super tasty. Cook liu wei soup for tonight's dinner, keep some for tomorrow porridge. Shiok and its good for the body. I usually feed my baby anything, from durians to ice cream... Try a bit of everything, not mouthfuls.

Where do you stay Kepsis? Try Kidslink Clinic (PD). Don't let your kid cough too long. Bronchitis is on the rise. My son just went to Mt A for treatment last week. Never mix formula powder diff brands together, can cause diarrhoea.

You can try Hou Zao San for the phlegm loosening. Do chest physio for your kid. Lay him on his right and sup your hands. Pat him on the ribs, this is to pat the phelgm from the side to the centre so that when he coughs, the phlegm can come out. Even if he swallows, it will at least go into his stomach and he can poo out. then repeat on the other side. Twice a day. Fever is always caused by something, so prob the virus. If it is bronchitis, he will cough and seems like choking on his phlegm. Anyways, go visit the Doc at Sengkang. Anything you may PM me.

Chicken stock: this is what i do.

1kg chicken bones

3litres water

Boil and simmer for about 3-4 hours

keep the stock in the fridge for 3-4 days, freezer for months. Next day you will see the fats accumulating on the top of the container, remove that and you get pure chicken stock.

kepsis: Do you mind freezing your food for her? Some mommies do not like to freeze, but I have been feeding G food from the freezer since he was very young already and so far so good. If you don't mind food from freezer, heres what some of us do:

Ingredients: (note this can change)

- 1 Chicken Breast (skin off, bone left on) $1.50 in market, $5.50 if buy from cold storage

- 1 large white/yellow onion

- 1 packet of corn (either baby corn or 2 adult sweet corn. Chopped into pieces)

- Carrots

- 1 Vegetable (my son loves water cress and i've tried xiao bai cai, chinese lettuce, celery etc..

basically anything also can).

- Tomatoes

- anything else you want to put in that you think will be good for her. (wolfberries, apples etc).

Organic or not, you can choose. Since I cook soup stock once a week, I buy organic ingredients as much as I can.

Boil stock for 2 hours and then divide out into 7 large avent VIA cups (they have two sizes, I use the large one). After it cooled off, I put one in the fridge (for next day's use), and 6 in the freezer. I do this once a week (every sunday) so that I don't need to boil so often every week.

After that every morning I take the cup from the fridge, pour it into my slow cooker, add about slightly less than 1/4 rice. It slow cooks for about 4 hours or if you are using those normal over the stove method, will be much lesser. Then just cook it to your desired consistency. After that I add in a cube of vege puree and some fish (which are also frozen and defrosted). If you find that making vege puree a hassle (esp if you don't have the philips avent steamer device), then you can just cut vege into small pieces and add into the porridge. As for fish, I buy threadfin, salmon, red snapper, cod.. pre-portioned into small pieces (probably half a palm size), and freeze. Then every day take out 1 slice together with the soup stock. You can also try minced pork, minced chicken, minced beef etc instead of fish because one mommy here said before that we cannot feed too much of these type of fish.

This is what I do daily for the past 4 months liao and what turns out is very fragrant and delicious porridge (which I myself eat the leftovers kekeke). Don't forget the 1 teaspoon of ikan bilis powder!

Might sound troublesome but its actually very convenient and once you get the "production" going, it saves a lot of trouble for you. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

You can try many other soup stocks, I change every week. Sometimes I put pork bones (remember to boil them once and throw the water away first because it contains scum which makes it very porky taste), sometimes I use beef cubes with radish etc etc. But I find the tastiest one is still chicken breast. Some might find that baby cannot eat this etc etc, but I am quite flexible with food for baby nowadays.. my policy is as long as its not all the time.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/5658781.jpg]

(Just made on sunday with 1 Chicken Breast and threadfin fish bones.)

Jaclyn: lol what a descriptive porridge post! U have a passion for porridge!

Royce gym: went wif lasery n bb L yesterday, is really fun!! really suited for bbs and v young toddlers, unlike peekaboo or bambini which are more for tods. K has alot of fun n when i picked him up to leave, he whined. Bb L is soo clever, can blow gdbye kiss at us!!

kepsis... poo for 5-6 a day is a lot leh... and watery too! Please seek PD attention asap...Its better to be gan cheong a bit when it comes to kiddo's not feeling well...

Two weeks ago, baby K also had fever hovering around 37-38.5, we brought her to PD but 4 days later her fever still hovering and had developed rashes (we thot were chix pox) so we went back to the PD again on same week...more medicine and after that day she is well already.

wah Christina - 5x210ml a day + 2 porridge daily...?! May I know what's the usual feeding time like? I already find it difficult to squeeze in 3x180ml + 3xsolid for my ger

charlie: no lah..tt kiss kiss was invented by him.. we teach him how to do the "mmmba" by pressing our lips together..ended up he squeeze his cheeks n invented his own kiss kiss...

oh ya...need to tag kenji in the pics i posted too...can add mi in Fb [email protected]

charliebrown: Haahaa yep!! I love creating stuff for baby to eat! And when he loves to eat it... even happier for me!!

Chelz: Those are cherry tomatoes. But can also add 1-2 red dates inside the stock! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

If i did not remember wrongly, inside this particular stock got:

water cress, large onion, 1 apple, baby corn, chicken breast, threadfin bones, carrots. End product, I also can drink without adding any salt haaaha! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] My baby eats better than me lah!!

Back