(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

Irene: TaRa is something new! I don’t even know about it… maybe I go check it out but they only have playgroup?

Im thinking of putting her at CC when she turns 18 months at Jurong Safra. 2 of my friend’s kids are there and she told me it’s gd cos they have lots of field trips and also swimming lessons.

But my mum told me to put bb at playgroup first..

Green vegetable: What kind of green vegetables do you all puree for your babies? Do you still puree your vege now or just cut into smaller pcs for them?

Ann - I've given chyesim, kailan, spinach (local, angmoh), siew bak choy, broccoli. other porridge staples - pumpkin, sweet potato, tomato, potato, carrot. it's always green vege + 2-3 porridge staples for H's porridge. now i also throw in a piece of ginger into the porridge.

For porridge, i don't puree the green vege. when the porridge's almost done, just throw the chopped green vege in, cook for 5 mins. i used only the leaves though

But if it's for pasta or to mix into cereals for outings, then i'll puree the vege.

i've also made yellow capcicum + tomato puree as a pasta sauce. i roasted the capcicum. and it was yummy. smelled good, too [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

and also made 'or nee' as a dessert for H. i pureed baby yam + pumpkin. very nice. next i tried yam + sweet potato + pumpkin. also very nice

Ann: spinach very leafy so I will chop into fine pieces. The other veggies only cut into small cubes. When they are cooked, they actually turn soft so bb has no issues eating.

She can bite off a big piece of bread/biscuit on her own.. I was worried she would choke cos bread is dry. but she managed to suck and chew on it.

ica & Sweetkiss: Thanks for the advice. Kayden till now have not tried any leafy vegetables or green vegetables except those jarred type of pureed broccoli.

Yam with pumpkin sounds nice.. maybe I should try too. Hehe!!

Babyjogger 2011 City Mini: I am in a spree mode again. Haha!! Saw this spree and so tempted to buy. Any use this pram before? I like the idea that it is easy to keep and light (weigh lesser than Kayden). Haha!!

Ann: For leafy veg, i also chop into tiny pieces (the leaf part only) and then throw into porridge to cook. I don't puree them anymore. Broccoli - i chop the florets part only.

Yeah, yam & pumpkin sounds nice. Think i should try too. Running out of recipe already. Always the same old green veg + carrot/pumpkin + fish for porridge.

I find that you all add alot of ingredients into your porridge. Normally for me, I only add silverfish or fish or vege puree or potato. I hardly mixed them all together. Maybe I should start doing so. Hehe!!

--- On Tue, 10/5/11, Charles Tan (Volunteer Resource Network) <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Charles Tan (Volunteer Resource Network) <[email protected]>

Subject: Outings for the Underprivileged Children

To: "Charles Tan (Volunteer Resource Network)" <[email protected]>

Date: Tuesday, 10 May, 2011, 11:22

Dear all

We are still short of sponsors and volunteers for the outings arranged for the Underprivileged children, below is the updated numbers :

No. of Children Sponsor : 12

No. of Volunteers : 6

We hope to have about 45 children and 35 volunteers to come along for this Ice Cream Making Workshop, for those who can help, do get back to me by 15 May 2011 so we will have sufficient time to send out the flyers to the children.

In the event we are unable to get sufficient sponsors, we will cancel the outing and will refund those who have sponsored so you can use the funds to reach out to others instead.

Thank you

Regards

Charles Tan

Volunteer Resource Network

Email : [email protected]

URL : www.vrnetwork.org

From: Charles Tan (Volunteer Resource Network) [mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Thursday, 5 May, 2011 11:09 AM

Subject: June Holiday Programme for the Children

Dear all

We will be resuming our outings for the children from the low income family this June after taking a break last Dec. This coming June, we plan to bring the kids to downtown east for an Ice Cream Making Workshop and have Ice Cream Buffet there as well, below are the details :

Event : Ice Cream Making Workshop + Ice Cream Buffet

Date : 18 June 2011 (Saturday)

Time : 10am to 2pm (Tentative)

Venue : Downtown East

Meeting point : Daybreak Family Service Centre

Blk 855 Yishun Ring Road Training Wing

(5 mins walk from Khatib MRT Station )

Targeted number of Children : 45

Volunteers required : 25

The cost for each child is about $35.00 which will cover the cost of the event, including lunch and cookie packs for each child. We hope each of you can sponsor at least one child for the trip, we will also need some volunteers to join us for the trip to take care of the children and help them out during the ice cream making workshop when we are there.

For those who would like to sponsor, you can mail a cheque payable to “Maple Lifestyle”, indicate “VRN June” and mail it to :

Maple Lifestyle

195 Pearl’s Hill Terrace

#01-32

Singapore 168976

Please let us know the details of your cheque such as bank, cheque number and amount via email if you are sending by cheque.

For those who preferred to funds transfer, please do email me separately for the account number to transfer.

Do remember me to update me so I can consolidate the sponsored funds, we will stop accepting funds once we have enough as per our usual practice.

And for those who are keen to volunteer, do provide me with the following particulars :

1) Name

2) NRIC

3) Contact Number

4) Email address

The cost for each volunteer is $38.00, we will likely be getting McDonald Lunch for everyone, if you are a vegetarian, do inform us and we will pack lunch separately for you.

We hope to be able to get your support to sponsor up to a max of 45 children from the low income family group for this trip.

Regards

Charles Tan

Volunteer Resource Network

Email : [email protected]

URL : www.vrnetwork.org

Hi,

Am posting for information as they are short of sponsors and volunteers for the event. Pls liaise with the organiser directly if you are interested in helping out..

Thanks a mil! =)

My porridge staple is fish. Either threadfin, salmon or cod fish. Then I would add 2 more types of ingredients, ranging from tofu, cucumber, pumpkin, veges (so far given peas, broccoli, chye sim, spinach, xiao bai cai). I would cook his porridge stock using either chicken or pork + carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, sweet corms n wolfberries. For ingredients tat I used to cook stock, I won't put it into his porridge anymore. Haven't really started giving him meat (other than fish) Has any mommies started on meat alr? Must give those minced meat?

Rgd gg out alone,

I m ok with bring my boy out alone. Like Irene , I prefer tp carrier my boy rather than stroller. I m using ergo too. But the stressful part is taking public transport. Bb S is super active. He will start to fidget if I sit dwn n he will try to struggle out of his carrier. Thus for now I have only been on Mrt with him for lesser than 5 times. Other times are all in cab :p once I am

Walking, he would be quiet n stay still in his carrier. Headache right...

Ann: mi usually add one veg + 1 meat/fish only… I wanted to give yam but my mum ask me not to. She said yam will cause “itch”. Anyway I wanna try salmon & cod fish too but she also say wait till bb is 1 year. cos I have been giving threadfin which I find has a fishy smell if we store in the fridge for 1 day.

Suntan: I have given chicken & minced pork. For chicken I buy chicken thigh. I put the whole thigh into porridge and cook.

After cooking, I will take out the chicken and shred them.

Again, my mum said chicken must blanch with hot water 1st & not advisable to put with uncooked rice? All along, I have been putting rice grains, water, chicken & veg together to boil.

I thought chicken is quite “clean”..

Only for pork bones then I will blanch.

I tried giving minced pork but then he always kanna choke so I always very afriad of giving him pork in the porridge. I have never try chicken yet. Maybe I should try.

Cos Skyler still no teeth yet. So not sure if he can "chew" the meat properly with his gum or not, tats y so far didn't really start him on other meat.

Re: feeding fish

fyi, it is better not to feed our bbs with fish daily, esp deep sea fishes such as threadfin, salmon and codfish. My sister's son has 自闭症,and she brought him for very detailed checkup to be sent to London for detailed analysis. Docs advised that the mercury in fish is one of the causing factors in such problem, hence it is not advisable for young kids to take fish daily, though most chinese like to feed their kids fish. Just a reminder for us to take note, cos fish may not be the best if we always think that the fish oil and DHA are good the brain development etc. We must be aware of the polluted environment we are in now. Perhaps try to feed those fishes that are not from deep seas and those reared in fish farms.

BlissTan: Oh no! I've been feeding my son fish daily ESP the 3 you mentioned (salmon threadfin cod). Oops!

bringing baby out alone: I do it quite alot, practice makes perfect!! The more you are afraid of it, the more you should do it so then you learn from mistakes and get better and beter at it! Come out for weekly lunch with us mommies! A few of us always bring our kids out for lunch alone

Oh no! I've been feeding my boy fish (threadfin & codfish) daily too, ever since he turned 8 mths plus. In fact, PD asked me to give him more codfish lei coz he is underweight...

Bringing bb out alone: I finally took the courage to bring bb out alone - using Ergo and both Ergo & stroller for further places. My stroller (peg perego) is damn heavy lor...how u mummies manage with just baby carrier? Eg: when you need to make milk, how? Ever since my boy knows how to hold his own bottle, he doesn't want me to carry him to drink, he wants to lie down on his own in the stroller to drink. So gotta bring stroller if go out for long.

Bliss: yup, i agree. everything in moderation. anyway, babies' health starts in utero - what we ate when pregnant affects babies' adult lives and health

Ann: Cold Storage sells baby yam, pre-packed but not all the time. Fairprice Finest sells too and you get to choose

sun_tan: our babies at this age are not using their teeth (if they have any) to "chew" yet, still using their gums

bringing baby out alone: yes, I agree with Jac. mind over matter. just have to harden your heart, especially when you driving and baby's crying in the car seat. sometimes i drive out alone, with my baby in the car seat. usually her fave CD of nursery rhymes will do the trick. and i will also talk to her when driving, just to make sure that she's ok

vernie: i prefer using the stroller. have stored my sarong carrier le. yeah, mine is also peg perego - heavy but manageable lah

piggy_77: For my boy, I would be celebrating at my aunt's condo function room.

ica: Just now I went Cold Storage at kallang leisure park, never sell. Maybe I try NTUC later in the evening. In the end, I bought broccoli, eggplant and sweet potato nia. Hehe!!

Are these cake toppers cute?

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/5451021.jpg]

Ann: very cute!! i like the one in red, right in the middle, front row. also the one next to it, in blue & white stripe top. i can imagine H in that kind of top, with her bloated belly exposed. ahahaha

Casual Playdate at the WEST on 21 May Sat (Irene's house)

Dear Mommies, I am opening up my place for a casual playdate. Details as follow. If interested please add your name to the list. Just bring yourself & baby will do =)

Venue – Jurong West Central 1 (10-15 min walk from Boon Lay MRT)

Date – 21st May, Saturday

Time – 12noon onwards

1. Michelle

2. Pris

3. Geri

4. Lynn

5. Marie

6. Iris

7. Phy

8. Suntan (Jacelyn)

9. charliebrown

10. Jaclyn

11. Quartzie (Janice)

12. Grace

Sweetkiss: I found out about TaRA through a SAHM who is attending the musikgarten class with me. I personally think that for a start, it is better to put bb in playgrp first. After our child are more accustomed to attending school then probably when we have out #2 we can consider putting our child in childcare. Then the current caregiver can take care of #2 while #1 is in CC. The CC at Safra is Nurturestar which is under kinderland management. The reviews for the other Nurstarstar branches are very good and I like them. But it’s not easy to get in. They give priority to siblings and hence there are very limited places for others. If you are really interested, better to register early. For such popular CC, the waiting list is very very long.

vernie: My Peg Perego has become a white elephant now haha. Last time when bb could still fit into the isofix carseat, I would still use the stroller sometimes when I drive out alone with him. Now that he has outgrown the carseat, I stop using the stroller and use the Beco instead. If I need to feed milk, I will prepare the milk while bb is in Beco. When milk is ready, I will carry him out and feed him. He is still ok for me to carry him in my arms while he drink. For solid, I would usually feed him when I am having my meals too. So he would sit in the high chair in the restaurant while I feed him. I’ve seen friends who feed their bb milk while bb is sitting in high chair. Basically bb will sit in high chair, mommy prepare milk and then pass to bb and bb will hold the bottle and drink himself. Maybe you want to try to train Ian to sit up to drink?

Ann: the cake toppers are very nice! May I know where you got them from and how much?

Irene, thanks for sharing. But I thought the childcare is called Little Skoolhouse @ the treehouse and it is also under NTUC?

http://ntucfirstcampus.com/littleskoolhouse.html

Yup, my friend’s kid is there but cos the principal is her friend, she doesn’t have to go through the waiting list. Now her #2 is in also, don’t even have to wait. I have put my girl on the waiting list since jan.

Think the Tara playgroup will be a prob cos 9am start, dun think my mum will want to take bus to & fro just to bring or fetch her from sch. But read some reviews seem pretty good.

Bargain Balloons Private Spree

Dear Mommies,

As our baby’s birthday is around the corner, I have received request to organise a spree for balloons! Please see below for the details.

Balloons At Low Low Price!!

Check out www.bargainballoons.com

WILL CLOSE SPREE BY TUE, 17 MAY OR EARLIER. WILL PLACE ORDER BY 18 MAY. WILL CANCEL SPREE IF TARGET AMOUNT IS NOT REACHED BY THEN.

Exchange rate:

1. USD 1 = SGD 1.30 (may adjust higher if credit card rate is higher).

Shipping Charges:

1. Domestic shipping of US$8.92 to be split by number of items ordered.

2. Int’l shipping via vPost and shipping charges to be split by number of items ordered.

Payment (NO PAYMENT, NO ORDER:

1. Payment to: POSB Savings 189-08583-4

2. 1st payment: Cost of your purchase (Please email the payment details to me after payment.)

3. 2nd payment: Domestic, International shipping and Local Postage.

Waiting Time:

1. Pls be prepared to wait approximately 3-4 weeks after spree is closed.

Collection methods:

• Self-collect @ Boon Lay MRT (any day but by apptmt)

• Self-collect @ MRT East-West Line from Boon Lay to Tiong Bahru on Tue-Thur Mornings

• Self-collect @ Harbourfront MRT on Tue-Thur lunch time

• Courier svc (to be advised)

• Via SingPost (normal or registered post)

- Add $0.50 for wrapping and $2.25 for registered mail.

- I will not be responsible for lost or damage of items during postage.

- Registered mail is encouraged.

Other Terms & Conditions:

1. This spree may be cancelled if response is poor or due to personal matter.

2. I reserve the right to cancel the spree. In such a case, I will refund payment within 3 days.

3. All shipping + SingPost (if applicable) charges must be paid b4 collection/mailing of items.

4. No cancellation of order once order has been submitted to merchant.

5. I shall not be responsible for any shipping delay from merchant & vPost.

6. I shall not be held responsible for any missing, defects, damaged or wrong shipment caused by merchants and during shipping transit.

7. If item is out of stock, the excess amount will be used to offset the shipping

8. Orders are confirmed once I have placed the order.

9. Shipping charges are rounded up to the nearest 2 decimal points.

10. Please transfer the payment once you have emailed your orders. Do not need to wait for my confirmation.

Order Format

Nick :

Email :

Mobile :

Collection mode :

Item 1

Item Name:

URL: (pls ensure it’s correct)

Product Code:

Quantity:

Price in US$:

Item 2

Item Name:

URL: (pls ensure it’s correct)

Product Code:

Quantity:

Price in US$:

Total Amt: USD x 1.30 = SGDXXX

Sweetkiss: Oh yah you are right! The CC at Jurong SAFRA is Little Skoolhouse @ the treehouse. There are a few other CC in other SAFRA that is by Nurturestars. Sorry for the mistake. But generally I think CC at SAFRA are good as the environment is nice and have access to swimming pool. Your friend is really lucky to get a place there =) BTW, your house is not walking distance to JP? There are also some other playgroup or CC around Boon Lay area. If your mom prefer not to travel, you might be able to find one nearer your house. But the reviews might not be as good as the CC at SAFRA or JP.

Irene, yup besides the pool my friend told me they get to play at Kid’s amaze… My First Skool inside JP is more convenient actually, but I will choose Safra because of the facilites.

My house is walking dist to JP but not my mum. She is staying opp River Valley High.. There is a playgroup at the RC near her block but I have went inside before & don’t like the environment. So most prob my gal shall go straight to CC. Unless my hubby permits me to be a SAHM for like 6 mths? Hahaha.

Sweetkiss:r u referring to the star tots playgrp which is just beside my block? I also agree with u that travelling a bit further for a good school is worth it [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] hope u can succeed in being a temp SAHM then we can go for musikgarten classes and lunch dates together!

Irene: lol hope so! I dunno what is the playgroup name. but it is at the RC at Blk 260 void deck. U stay at blk 600+ right?

Oh btw, is the Beco carrier good? My hubby is in US, maybe I can ask him to help me buy if he sees it!

Morning mummies,

The cake toppers which i shown is OOS. I bought another set from ebay. Hope they will look nice on the cake.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/5454091.jpg]

Justina: Ya.. I like them very much. The costumes can be interchanged one... Hehe!! They have many other series but I just think this garden series one look quite cute.

Ann: This is so cute!!! I love the 2nd one from the top left, the one with the red hat.

sweetkiss: Yup I stay at blk 600+. You have a good memory =) The one at Blk 260 is also star tots playgroup. I love my Beco and have sold a few to some other Jul mommies, friends of friends, and some other mommies in SMH forum. I buy from Amazon and ship in vpost. As I consolidate the shipment, the shipping cost per carrier is much lower. According to my colleagues, they were unable to find the carrier in places like Walmart, Target etc. Hence it would be better to order via Amazon and ship to your hubby's hotel if there's still time. The carrier is eligible for free 2-days (working days) shipping with Amazon prime. If your hubby is unable to get it, I do have limited stock from my latest batch that just arrived on Tue. If you are interested I can sell you at ard cost price.

Filling of balloons: here's the contact that suntan shared with me:

My Party Friend!

http://mypartyfriend.com.sg/

#02-68 IMM Building (next to kopitiam)

You can reach us at:

Christopher Hia: (+65) 8188 7173

Catherine Lee: (+65) 8189 9878

Retail: (+65) 6560 1762

Email: [email protected]

Here are some others that you all can consider. They also have helium tank rental:

http://www.kidzpartystore.com

http://www.balloonsnkids.com/

Irene: Yup it is star tots, saw it ytd.. Anyway I went in before, it doesn’t look impressive.

But I saw their banner, they actually adopt “Montessori” teaching or something like that.

thanks for the info.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] I went to Beco’s website and searched for their retailers and one of them is just 1 mile away from my hus’ hotel! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

So I asked him to check out the store. Anyway the Beco butterfly 2 seems good but cant face out..

I saw so many mommies either stop using the sarong sling or prefer to use these beautiful carriers, I wish i get to use them too.

tried on many of these carriers, I dont seems used to carry bb in them. My Patapum still sitting in the car for some donkey months since getting it.

HB prefers to carry BB or put in stroller most times. Haiz... now headache ... sell or dont sell the patapum carrier (I got it at $140)

MusikGarten: Any mummies still interested to go for the free trial? I have the intention to bring Kayden to try but during weekend only.

hi mummies,

Anyone hv been to Taiwan for a holiday? Is it fun? And any idea when is a gd time to travel to Taiwan?

Thought of going for a holiday. Actually wanted to go France again to visit my sis & her family but my HB dun want to bring our boy on such long trip. So now maybe just go Taiwan with my HB only.

Back