(2009/09) September 2009 MTBs

kik,
urs can self-feed 3/4 consider v good already.
My gal will only complete if she is hungry. Usually the last portion we will feed her and if she split the food out, we will stop.
There is a few occasion, she overturn the bowl n say "No more", pouring all the food to my dogs.

Water intake
My gal still taking not much plain water. Always request ribena. Haiz Went out whole day and water bottle left 3/4.

5-1 booster
Went for booster but was rejected. The nurse said must be 1 yr apart from the last 6-1. They are the one who schedule the booster then rejected me. Funny. wasted my leave.

Gummymummy
welcome.

kiki,
Kimmy's doing fine! When Katey first started self-feeding she also can only feed 3/4, then slowly, she will learn how to finish the whole bowl.
However, mine feeds herself faster then I feed her as she tends to "kam" her food and not chew when I feed her.
Kimmy's starting school? full day?

gummymummy
WElcome
happy.gif

jul
I also use picassa, its very user friendly.

myfavchoco
wow! all teeth out? My K is also like your K, can still eat, sleep, play, not cranky when her gums are all swollen. She only got cranky once when she sprouted her first 2 teeth
happy.gif
happy.gif
but my K only has 9 teeth, now 3 molars all aprouting at the same time!

connie
you have problem with your gal not drinking enough plain water. mine drinks too much water! i wonder is it too much or not. 1 day can drink 2 munchkin bottles of plain water! i can't stop her, when she drinks her water, she will not let me take it away until she has her fill. if i forcefully take it away she will throw tantrum and cry!

paige
kim starts school this friday. not full day..lol, i wished though! only 2hrs daily.

wow...Katey only has 9 teeth and 3 molars sprouting and she's eating so well! mine has 18 teeth already but still sometimes refuses to chew more 'solid' food. *stressful* man!! today she gimme hell during dinner coz i cooked her rice instead of porridge!

kiki
feeding more solids :

I still cant get my girl to eat more solid food like rice / pasta / noodles AT HOME. Only when we go out, she's okay to take anything we give her, like noodles. So strange right? Maybe because outside food is more savoury (and more MSG). *sweat*

Any tips on how to get them to eat more solids at home? Obviously for Caitlin, it's not that she can't chew them. Everytime i feed her noodles at home, have to standby for her to spit out.

Paige,
Yup, think same as Kim got 18teeth Liao. More coming?? Cos he drool ALOT this 2 days.. >.<

Kiki,
K used to drink 2 munchkin bottle too.. Until recently he refused to drink from tat bottle. Change new water bottle then he drink veri fast.. now this current one he loss interest again, about average 450-600ml per day. Normal wkend he will drink more.

gummymummy
when its comes to feeding solid food, my girl got mood one. good mood she'd eat, bad mood she won't eat. hmm....so far, i've not really given her outside food as a full meal, just bits perhaps to keep her quiet so we adults can eat. whenever we go out i will cook the food and bring it out. but for me, feeding at home is definately easier then feeding outside coz at home can switch on DVD for her to watch, outside cannot!

myfavchoco
K also drinks alot. do u think drinking too much water affects the eating ah? does K drink water when eating lunch/dinner? kim eats halfway will ask for water, if i don't give her, she will refuse to eat somemore and throw tantrum! but somehow i feel that she drinks too much and it affects the food intake. but how to stop her fr drinking while having meals? *stress*

kiki
I have a suspicion she doesnt really chew her food!
OMG!! that maid is horrendous!!
I was very determined not to get one, not because of incidents like THIS as I thought it would be rather rare now..but more of not wanting to have to be responsible for another human being under my roof, not to mention all the maid problmes which often surfaces..but after reading this, I am even more determined NOT to have one!

gummymummy
mine's the opposite, she doesn't like mushy food e.g porridge, she loves her noodles, pasta and rice...and breast must be toasted or else she just peel the 'skin' and leave the inner part intact!
I prefer to give her porridge, easier to prepare, every nutritious ingredients goes in and out come the product!

<font color="119911">Kiki, myfavchoco</font>
Ian drinks about 3-4 pigeon straw cup of water so it should be about the same as 2 munchkin bottles. Ok lah, not too much.

Aiyo, so sad after reading the article. Same thinking as Paige, hubby and baby enough 'problem' liao, not gonna add another person to the household.

itsy, kiki: I stay with my mum, she working currently, she will monitor the maid when she's home but she's not the SAHM type. She likes to travel and cannot tahan alone with my girl, though she finds Angelyne cute :D hahaha

Maid: I do try to maintain a "good" relationship with the maid. I know it's not easy to do housework and look after a toddler at the same time esp when i take over during her off days.

I talk to her lo and say we help each other. Esp when she needed advance pay to remit back to help her family, i never say no. So now I need her help to help me keep watch on Angelyne esp now, she climb up and down.. =_=

HAHAHA sorry was typing halfway when I read " and breast must be toasted". I was like O_O?! Hahaha Sorry Paige XD I couldn't help~

kiki,
SURELY is not affecting his food intake, he eat alot recently... haha.. Yes, he will drink water during his meal. i will ask him to drink. i wan him to drink as much water as possible.. drink more water then wont get sick easily ma..

itsy, paige
thats so funnie! now i am confused, is it bread or breast (as in chicken breast) thats toasted? :p

solids
oh ya, when i said i let her try outside food when we go out, it is only after she takes her regular porridge which we bring out as well. but so mafan if i am alone with her, so hoping she will graduate to more solids sooner.

paige
your thinking abt porridge is exactly like my mum's! thats why caitlin has been having porridge for lunch and dinner for almost one year now, haha. Same reason, i wish to bring her out more, so hoping for less reliance on homecooked stuff tho i agree its definitely more nutritional.

Gina, crayon stones
that BP has so much innovative stuff! I am a sucker for shopping. I also dont mind sharing but you decide who is more convenient for you la. I stay at novena.

maid
heartbreaking to read that story, moreover described that baby crawled in and out crying for help but was totally ignored and kicked. For those who are totally writing off maids, I think it really depends on your luck. I don't have much complains about my maid now (except that she doesnt like to admit she's wrong), she dotes on my daughter, and is even more gentle with her than I am (I become the fierce mummy). But the inital period is always rough, trying to get used to a new person with a different culture in the house, wondering if she's trustworthy etc. In fact, my maid wanted to go back a few times during the inital period. while we are adjusting to her, she is always trying to adjust to us and life here. After about 8 months, they will settle in somehow, the good might get better, the bad might get worse since they can now get full pay without deduction. For me and my hubby, the adjustment was even tougher because we are the sort that are really carefree, until i got pregnant, and in came the maid, the baby, the inlaws, the parents.... it is not easy to adjust to having suddenly so many people around all the time but its been 1.5 years already. suffice to say, i survived with a few knocks here and there.

facebook
hey mummies, add me on FB so i can see your faces and cute babies. easier to remember names that way. email : [email protected]
oh ya, please teach me how to bold the words in the post, as u can see, i am still a newbie!

prenursery
can anyone help me with prenursery or direct me to any previous discussion? thanks!!!!

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+1">Crayon Rocks (16 colours):</font></font>

Who are interested? Was thinking of spreeing from manufacturer if many of us are keen... but need to have 25 boxes (for 16 colours). Should not be more than $8 per box

kiki,
thanks for the link. i briefly heard a colleague talking about the case, but didn't get a chance to read it till you posted the link. actually i sympathize with the accused. cos after reading, i think have to take care of a 1-year-old baby and 2-year-old toddler and have to do housework is no joke. some more she is only 16 years old herself. if i am 16 years old and in her shoes, earning a meagre income, having to slog so many hours a day, who knows what drastic actions i might do when the young charges in my care keep crying non stop and i cannot go and finish cleaning the house or cook dinner for my employers. i also might break down, run away from the employer's house, beat the children etc. i think employers must also exercise some responsibility by cutting down the helper's jobscope reasonably, like maybe put the 2-year-old in childcare or maybe don't need to let this particular helper do cleaning/cooking.

<font color="0000ff">Bread</font> and not Breast
Sorry, I had no idea what I was thinking while typing that message last night.
It was supposed to be bread.
itsy I dont do the toasting per se, she eats breakfast at the Cove
happy.gif

Weekend, she will eat her kaya toast and her 2 half boiled eggs!

gummymummy
for bold you just need to include the backslash and the letter b like this \ b {abcde}
omit the spacings.

suck-ey grade at work
Am so demoralised, I just received THE letter from boss with a crappy grade, but I kinda guess I will be getting it since I only got back in April after maternity leave...but still, I did so much after that, I feel that mummies get penalised for giving birth...no wonder birthrate is decliningin this country!

Kiki,
2 munchkin bottles is how many ml?
Envy lor. Mine can drink 3-4 bottles of 200ml rebina but can't finish 200ml of plain water.

Hi mommies,
I have issue with my gal scare of grass, sand or any surface that is soft. She will not walk on those surface. She had being like this for not sure how long. Last time we went to the beach is ok but was 4-5 mths back. I brng her to new playground and she refuse to walk on the floor. The one at my void deck is ok. Anyway to overcome?

Paige
Birth rate is declining in all countries. I'm getting mine today maybe. Didn't pin high hopes cause co increment only 3-5%. Can't beat inflation.

Hi Wai wai, i m interested to get the crayon rocks. Let me know if the order is confirmed.

Connie, My duaghter too very reluctant to walk on the grass and sand (at the beach) even she's walking shoes. she will just stand there asking us to carry her or someonne to hold her hands to walk through the grass and sand. Somehow i think she feels "geli" to walk on it, which i also dont understand why. Perhaps we didnt expose enough "nature' to her...always spend time in shopping centre, that's why it's likes that.

Paige
thanks for the tips! hope this works.

I can totally empathise with who you feel about work, putting in effort, yet penalised.

I cut short my maternity and came back in mid Dec to take over the work of a colleague who left. Worked so hard and put in so many late nights. Obviously as a new mother, i still had night feedings then, was still expressing milk and all, and sometimes baby would fall sick and i would have to take urgent leave. But i more than compensated by working later, even as late as 12am - 2am in office sometimes!

In my evaluation form, he actually pinpointed out my unexpected absences and late arrivals into the office at times. So disappointed. One of the reasons why i left work, i think enough is enough, i'd rather be appreciated for the additional hours i put on my baby.

Connie - soft surfaces
hi, my gal actually had the same issue just two weekends ago. We were at the MBS, and she was "running" about freely and excited about the space, but once she stepped onto the grass patch, she froze, face sulked and wanted to bao bao. I took a pix of her, so funny.

havent brought her to the beach yet, will try it soon. I guess the way to overcome if she's scared is to entice and encourage her with something fun there?

Kiki...same here. I am still feeding my daughter with porride only. Tried to feed her some fried rice, kuay teow, been hoon and spaghetti over the last few weeks. She ate the food, but then she will spit them out again. End up all the mess we need to clear. Haiz...dunno how to make her start solid food now...

Wai wai,
I am interested in the crayon rocks.

Bovril
any mummies giving their child Bovril? My mum is suggesting to give my son, I am still contemplating.. * think think *

Can our child start taking half boiled egg at 18 months now?

Hello all! Me back from our HK holiday! Anyone missed me :) The thread was/is very active when I was away, lots to read/catch up.

Jul,
I use Picasa mainly for photo editing and doing up collages. I upload photo direct to the web-based Picasa photo album, then from there, I copy the link and paste it to my blog post. That way, I never have any problem uploading post to my blog (compared to if you use to insert photo function on blogger). And by doing this, you can post photo of any size (if you notice, the photos on my blog are relatively big), rather than the preset sizes available. PM me if you want to know more.

myfavchoco, Ling and other mummies using photoscape software to do collages, I tried it before, and it's pretty user friendly too. Good thing with Photoscape comparing to Picasa is that the former give you more option/layout for your collages. I never tried Picnik. But I think in Picasa software, there is a link to Picnik which allows you can do some extra things with the photo/collage.

kiki,
My boy drinks A LOT of water! I asked his PD before. He said anything from 1-2 litres is still okay, as long as he doesn't drink too much at one go and he still eats well. My boy's record is 350ml at one go but that's rare. To more, the more water the better, there is never too much water.

To let the kids to self feed porridge is not a good idea, very very messy. Can try noodle or cut fruits/veg. Have to let them to learn how to handle a fork/spoon first.

Connie,
I hope you are giving diluted Ribena? Cos I think for the pack ribena, for a <3yo kid, the max Ribena should be no more than 200ml.

Kam,
Given her the syrup type. CAnnot exceed 200ml? Oh, my boy taking more than that sometimes.

Shirley, gummymummy
Mine totally don't walk. I tried to put her down and her leg refuse to touch the ground. When we hold her hand, she will stop at the edge of the walk pave, refuse to step on it.

kiki
shanis drinks lots of water too... so now to prevent her from drinking too much, i dont fill up her bottle.. i give her the amt i want her to drink. she will also drink till it's finished and asked for more!

paige, itsy, sandwich, gummymummy
yeah, the article is quite sad. i feel sorry for both but of coz i can't help but feel more sorry for the little one because she is defenseless and more fragile. wonder what kind of psychological damage (not to mention all the physical abuse) the little one has gone thru. now that i'm a sahm, i know even more how difficult it is to look after a baby/toddler and also have to deal with most of the hsewhole chores. even as a mommy, i do have moments when i feel like pulling my hair out, so what more for a maid. but i think no matter how upset/angry mommy is, she won't kick, push or smoother the child! think ya, have to pioritise expectations. if the maid is employed to help care for the child then just got to sort of close 1 eye for other things like housework. smoother him instead!

connie
2 munchkin bottles is abt 600ml. 1 bottle 10oz so abt slightly lesser then 300ml.

kam
welcome back! so HK fun??? didn't know u took off for holidays until i saw you posting on FB!
regarding the water intake. actually i'm happy my girl likes to drink water, but just not happy she keep drinking water while having meals! i feel if i can make her drink lesser will be good then she can eat more and maybe put on more weight!

milkyway
ya,i've tried filling lesser water in the bottle too but after she finish, she will 'humm humm' and hold the bottle up to me asking for more! if i don't refill the bottle, she won't open her mouth AT ALL to eat the food! *cry*

gummymummy
try this forum kiasuparents.com or you can try to use the search function and search for topics in this forum too.

question: multivitamins/calcium pills?
after giving birth, do u ladies still take any supplements ah? lately i feel my bones ache alot! wondering if i should take some kind of supplements or not like a multivit maybe? any recommendations if you're taking one?

Babies biting: late evening last wed, after my son's tramuma, my hub in fact regretted what he said to the centre. I told him caden will be there whole day and he is the one who face the teachers and children there. Do you wan your darling son will be without friends? the purpose of sending him there is for him to interact, play, learn and enjoy, what if every child dont wan to play with him? after all, the teacher is quite nice, she sms me five times in a day, reassuring me that caden is in good hand. She even put ice pack and zambac for him. The next day, all subside. when we fetch my son, we just pretend nothing happen and happily bring my son home. Although i quite upset and heartpain, but seeing my son happy and enjoy the playgroup, we rest our case. But if happen again, of course we hope the centre can do something and give us a good explanation.

Wah so much inteersting discussions going on, esp abt the toasted breasts hahahahaha. Think I was grinning like an idiot to myself.

Drinking Water

Sam HATES water! But he has improved a lot after I intro-ed the Pigeo Magmag straw bottle to him. he still doesn't drink a lot of water but I try to give him at least 1.5 bottles of that a day, which is a miserly 350ml. I dunno how much MIL gives him though. She doesn't seem to be as good as tricking him to drink water as moi *puffs chest*

Abusive Maid

I also can sympathise with the maid. Yes, she was very cruel to the baby but having being a SAHM, I can imagine how stressed she was at having to do household chores, AND take care of 2 babes/tods. I'd found myself getting angry with Sam, not to mention a total outsider. I'm not condonng the maid of course, &amp; she shd be punished for what she did. But I think the parents also have a responsibility in it. The baby is the poor innocent victim

Paige

aw.. *hugs* I can understand what you're feeling. You read my blog right?

water
This has always been a problem with my son. Invested on a few items, including munchkin straw bottle, combi cup, avent magic cup, etc.. still can't get him to drink lots of water
sad.gif

I think his daily intake hardly 200ml..

babiesmeme,
Like what Sandwich explained earlier, the teachers will not able to give you an explanation unless they see it happen that very second. How to explain if you don't even see how it happen? Just like they catch bugs from their classmates and fall sick, how to prevent and how to explain? Actually hor, the first HFMD my son caught was suspected from a bite by his classmate, she was having high fever and sore throat, though wasn't diagnosed as HFMD. Childcare environment is like that de. As long as you are sure the teachers are genuinely caring for the kids, that's the best you can hope for. A little bite and fall is part and parcel of the growing up (in a cc esspecially). When my son was in the infant care, there was a pair of parents who complained about almost everything. The teachers still treated their daughter nicely cos it's their profession, but deep down in their heart (they told me cos I am very friend with them), they are all very afraid to handle that particular kid and they hope the parents will withdraw the kid asap to get back their peace of mind. Just to share with you.

maelyn

Gek sim hor??? But I try not to give Sam any sweetened drinks. I'd rather he drink a little less plain water than a lot of sweet drinks.

babiesme

Erm.. I dun wanna add any 'pressure' but I agree that some accidents are inevitable in CC or preschool. I'm sure the teachers dun want something like this to happen coz they're have to face angry parents, tell the biter's parents, write report, apologise etc etc. if I were the teachers, I'll prob be affected coz no matter how prefessional I am, I'm human after all. I won't ill-treat your son but I may feel differently towards him. Maybe something like not so enthusiatic or loving towards him. or maybe I'll wrap him in cotton wool so that no more accidents happen &amp; that'll end up affecting your son's development coz he cannot do ANYTHING coz it's dangerous. You get what I mean?

Kiki
I know what u mean cos Ian like to drink lots of Water during mealtime too. What I do is simply don't let him see his water bottle. Out of sight out of mind.

Dunno why Ian is suddenly feverish. Slightly only.. Hope won't develope into anything serious.

water intake
Osp, am I the only mommy that gave sweetened water to toddle hoping she will drink more?
I have a few water bottle but no used. I thought more water intake will reduce chances of falling sick.

connie

it depends on the kid itself. Some won't get 'addicted' to sweet drinks, others would. MIL is also nagging us to give Sam glucose, ribena, sweetened barley.. else he won't drink. I dunno where she gets this "he won't drink" or "he won't eat" concept from. Hubs &amp; I try to stop her as much as possible. She still does it behind our backs lah, but at least we didn't give her the go-ahead. Imagine if she did,... chiam that time really 'die' liao

itsy
i've tried that before too! i think i've tried every possible 'method'! but hard to keep the bottle outta her mind. i usually put her bottle on this small attached tray thats on her highchair. its low enough for her to reach it so during the day, if she wants to drink water, she will know where to find her bottle. she'd bring it to me and i'd open it for her (doesn't know how to open the munchkin bottle yet). so when i'm feedin her meals, she will instinctively look down to the tray at the side for her bottle! if its not there (coz i've tried hiding it), she will go 'hmm! hmm!' and keep pointing to the tray! then don't wanna eat liao!

oh dear, how come fever? maybe try to put that patch thingy or towel his forehead? could be teething since u've been having problems feeding him!

jul,
Yup, totally Gek Sim.. Sometimes when he is constipated, I beh tahan and try to give some juice/ribena.. I am trying to avoid having him to ask for sweeten drinks everytime too. Anyway, sometimes I had to pretend that I am drinking something nice from my cup, then he will kaypoh, will wanna drink from my cup too.. keke..

Initially left then when it slows down, right.

Curiously, I saw this some time ago when I was still working. I can see it in one direction, blink, the direction changed, blink and changed again. Basically I can see it easily in both directions. Now it's mostly left, maybe after stopping work for so long, my brain is dead Liao.

Connie,
As we all know, it's not good to use sweetened drink to make the kids to drink. For me, water is water, drink is drink. I do offer them sweetened drink (yagurt, vitagen, ribena) but I strictly limited it to once pack/bottle a day. Other than that, they have to drink water. If they get too used to drink sweetened drinks, they may not want to drink tasteless drink anymore, which will make a big impact!

Itsy / kiki,
The kids have fun lah. For us, not much fun cos no chance to hunt for good food, which was our aim for this trip. But have to take care of the 2 kids on our own is no joke. Tiring but the bonding part is really great! As expected, we didn't do any shopping at all, didn't even go to all those famous streets. Btw the disneyland HK is really very small, but well, at least I met my Mickey :)

kiki
Mine started with clockwise, then when the narrator said train your brain to make it turn the other way, it really turn the other way! but after a while I see her turning clockwise again, until the end!

itsy, kam
so the image does slow down when u try to 'change' direction rite? ok...i thought something wrong with me. haha.. coz at some point...the it was spinning really slowly like slow motion! gosh, itsy is my brain dying too?! =/ on 1st look, i see it spinning clockwise.

Back