(2009/09) September 2009 MTBs

Hi Hajirah

Took me a little to learn the jargons and I am still picking up as I go. Hehe it is quite fun.

SAHM - stay at home mum
WM - working mum
BF - breast feed
BB - baby

I am sure there is more we will pick up as we go along. I am a newbie myself.

I am also delivering at NUH under Prof Mary Rauff. Usually I have a list when I meet my gynae and I will fire her all my questions. I find taking down this questions as I go along very helpful because I have great difficulty recalling all I want to ask when I am sitting in her office.

My gynae is very attentive and patience and takes pains to make me feel at ease. You might consider doing some exercises to strengthen your back. Swimming, yoga and a warm bath does wonders for me.
 


ling,

now u and i in same boat, my hb now also not in town. yeah, think the preggie hormones does affect us more so when pregnant now. this morning after hb left i was all waterworks.. was never like that before.
 
jenifur,

i'm quite keen to get a diaper bag from the walmart spree, can u teach me how to roughly calculate the shipping part? thx.
 
corsage,

standard cot mattress size should be 28"x52". this is usually the size for cots that can be converted to toddler beds.
 
Hi Hajirah

My gynae recommends 10-13kg for my build. I am half way there, so I think it is about right.

Try this link - http://www.babycentre.co.uk/tools/weightgain/

Hi Kiki and Ling
My husband travels a lot for work too. I have made him promise me not to travel in my last tri. I am all waterworks now too if anything is REMOTELY sad or disturbing!! Very annoying haha
 
hijirah and babybloom,
hi there! i'm delivering at NUH too! no fixed gyn, and i go for my visits at the main wing's O&G clinic.

prof biswas
i saw him for my april 09 visit. he's the most indifferent gyne i've ever seen in both my pregnancies. he didn't really want to discuss my eczema condition, but told me to visit a dermatologist instead. anyway, i can't believe what i was hearing from him most of the visit (cos i asked a lot of other questions). concluded that he must be a very experienced gyne who has seen a lot of problem preg cases, that's why he's so indifferent to me cos my questions and problems must seem very minor/minute to him.

prof mary rauff
mary rauff always has a big entourage of students around her when she goes about her rounds. i saw mary rauff's daughter for my may 09 visit. surprised that she's a gyne at the same hospital with her mum! she's super pretty and really really nice/patient. a big contrast from prof biswas. anyway, she did hint that her mum influenced her choice of a career, hahaa.
 
My hubby on shift work patterns When he doing afternoon n night shifts I cant spend time with him at all. By the time he is back ard 1240hrs im aldy sleeping and during night shift, when he return home i already left for work. Sometimes very pressurizing when you gotta sleep alone without yr hubby. I mostly go in tears when he leaving for night shifts. Suddenly feel so clingy to him. I stay with my in-laws still, when i move back to stay with my mum during his night shift i dun feel so bad cos i share bed with my mom. I wonder how u ladies cope with hubby not being in town..
 
Hi sandwich (peanutbutter)
Now that i've fixed on Prof Biswas can i change to mary Rauff nw? Will the hospital allow that. Bty im paying the private rates to see him.

Hi I Loh (babybloom)
Thanks for educating me abt the Jargons, Hope i will learn more along the way.
 
sandwich (peanutbutter)
maybe i shd follow yr strategy, write down my questions and shoot at him during my next visit.
I told him i have not been eating meats stuffs only able to take vege due to my appetite change, he says no problem with that jus continue to eat what i can, He didnt suggest iron tablets too. Moreover i have thalaseamia (low iron blood count).

Im soo upset dunno y my gynea so boh chap type. I heard he is the most experienced and he is a very gd gynea, recommended by my SIL> she had 2 babies delivered by him. However i dun think i will take him for my 2nd baby.
 
hajirah,
have you signed a package with him? if you haven't prepaid anything, then you should be able to change to any other gyn whom you wish to see easily. mary rauff is prob very popular, dunno if you'll have to spend a lot of time waiting for her for each visit. you've gotta get babybloom's advice on this. the person writing down questions is babybloom lah, not me. but seriously if you've prepared questions for prof biswas, i doubt he'll answer the questions satisfactorily. hahaa, okay maybe i'm just biased against him.
 
jenifur, mama to 6Js... really thanks for sharing about your opinions on being SAHM.

Jul, happymrskoh, I Loh... i'm considering to become SAHM or PT due to various reasons. currently my MIL is looking after my 10th month old gal when i'm at work. i appreciate her help but sometimes i don't quite agree with her way of taking care of my baby. i trust my mom more but she is working so can't help me. i really hope to spend more time with my babies. but like u gals, financial independence and having own social life are some concerns. on top of that, i have a nasty sister-in-law who has been sarcastic and mean to me and hb ever since we put baby with MIL, she treats my baby as toy - fun to play with, once baby cries or poos, that mean person fast fast gets away. i don't want my baby to be influenced by such bad person.

i still like my work as my colleagues are very nice, and one good thing is that my co has part-timeers. so maybe like what jenifur suggested, i may discuss with my boss and see whether they can let me become part-timer instead... but it means i still have to look for childcare or helper for half day when i go to work... still headache...
 
sandwich (peanutbutter)
oh okies got mixed up on who's asking the questions. The problem is during my last visit at 21 weeks i already signed package, Now's like too late. Nvm i learn from mistake, next time wont take him or rec to any1 ready.
I admit he is a pro and very experienced but he isn't my type of gynea.

One thing which tick me off was during my visit to him on my 2nd month visit, i suffered from terrible morning sickness that i cant even walk or bathe myself, with terrible tummy cramps. When i told him that he say he cant help it but prescribe panadols for my tummy cramps and give me 2 days MC's. End up i still cant go work the follow day, afterwhich i had to take my own Annual Leave to stay at home and rest till i felt healthy enuf to travel to work again.
 
hajirah
i have thalasemia too. iron tablets wont work for us becos our condition is congenital. in fact iron tablets will lead to an over built up of iron in our bodies which is not good for us.

if u not comfortable with ur gynae, better change if u have not made any prepayment. u try writing down ur questions first and if he answers them indifferently then yes! u r better off with another gynae.
 
Kiki:
Thanks for info on the cot mattress size
happy.gif


Hi everyone, esp all the new mummies! I'll write soon about my thoughts on staying home etc. Got work stuff to rush out now.

Anyway, suddenly in the last 2-3 days everyone is telling me that my tummy shape looks like I am carrying a BOY! Anyway, I don't really believe that and the scans have always showed GIRL. But I was just thinking it would be so funny if at the next scan we realise it is a boy =P Then all the girl stuff I bought would need to be given away. Eep.
 
Welcome hajirah
happy.gif


Well, I take the birds' nest that my MIL makes for me, abt 1x/mth. Sometimes, also ard 1x/mth she wil make black chkn soup with black beans. I guess Babylet must have been receiving the nutrients, else he wun be so big haha.

Sometimes when the gynae is very expreinced, they may see our small probs as being minor lor. Anyway the most impt thing is that u must be comf with ur gynae. He is gog to take care of u from now until after delivery, so ur confort is the first priority.

mrskoh

Oic. Thanks. Maybe I might go see Gap, maybe I might not. It's a bit expensive for me.

babybloom

Me am first time mummy. And yup, I have been thikning all those issues that u mentioned. I think for myself, I will let things rest for a while, then consider again as the time draws near. Sometimes when I'm stuck, I feel that standing back & detaching myself for a while helps me to think more clearly when I revisit the issue. Keke hopefully I can manage financially to join the SAHM Club
happy.gif
 
Peanut butter
When are you due? Are you doing the antenatal class?

Hajirah
This is my first bb, I guess I need to have a lot of confidence in the person to take care of me. Prof Mary Rauff is indeed very popular, the waiting time for me so far is still very manageable but the clinic is always crowded. I guess in all my visits, 30 mins is my longer waiting time so far.

Waiwai
At least your co seems to entertain part timers or flexi hours. Definitely not in my type of work and environment. I guess the ideal scenario is work from home ... Just for financial independence and feeling relevant.

Anyone has any opinions to offer about breast pumps? I am looking for one.
 
Thanks babybloom and Jul_in_week23 (jul_04) for yr advice on my gynea. Next visit i will shoot him my question and demand a gd reply. haha.

Anyway im waiting for the next baby fair in June organised by Motherhood magazine at expo to get my baby stuffs. Hope to get a good offer and moreover all under one roof.

Motherhood 2009
Admission: Public - Free Admission
Venue: Hall 6A

Time:
4 - 6 Jun 09
12 noon to 10pm

7 Jun 09
11am to 10pm
 
mama to 6Js (blessedmommy)
Ive aldy paid all packages price in full with my gynea.
Guess too late to change now.

Oh i tot thalaseamia need alot irons. Then i also dun eat meat nowadays. I was worried not enuf blood count for baby. My last blood test also showed low blood count n my gynea says its ok probably due to thalaseamia. I dunno i keep feeling tired all the time, dunno is it due to thalaseamia or pregnancy making me feel like tat.
 
Hi babyloom

Btw I am a SAHM. I have been working as a sales mananger for 3 years. Too tired. Decided to quit and take a break. During the break, I got married, went for honeymoon and got pregnant instantly. No choice but to continue to stop work as no co. will employ a pregnant mum. End up this is biggest break of my life. I miss working...

I hav walking alot and just started swimming recently. My greatest sinful food will be ice cream too. Haiz... try to control but really cant help it. I also don't really control what I eat. Just eat everything but in small quantities loh. Like laska, nasi branyani, nasi lemak....SINS SINS SINS

To balance the SiNS, I have cooking birdnest and taking it 3 times per week. Hahaha...
 
hajirah
i guess both also contribute to u feeling tired. is ur thalasemia alpha minor? mine is. its not affecting me in any way though. i always have low blood count but have never fainted or felt exceptionally tired. if u were normal b4 preg then most prob its preg hormones making u tired.

dun worry abt not eatg meat. take lots of soy? cos soy products will make up for the protein that white meat gives. actually my haemoglobin level is ok, its my MCV which is very low. v typical of thalasemia carriers lor
 
<font face="Comic Sans Ms"><font color="0000ff">KiKi,

I used e shipping charges from my previous spree as a guide. 1 lb = S$3 to $5, tis is jus an estimate hor</font>


<font color="aa00aa">Jul_04,

Just realized I made a mistake w yr shipping charges... It shld be between $9 to $15.. but hor it's just an estimate leh.</font></font>
 
babybloom,
am due on 23 sep. not signing up for the atenatal classes this time round, as i've already gone for them not too long ago in early 2007. we've had a lot of discussion abt breastpumps 1 or 2 weeks back on this thread. i personally like the avent manual pump, after having tried both the medela mini and avent uno. but different mummies have different opinions abt pumps. if there's a particular model that you're interested in, you can ask mummies for their opinion here!
 
im also a sahmtb. quit my job last year, wanted to take a break. was so confident i cld get a job after a 1 mth holiday but come back with the beginning of the economic crisis. 3 mths later i got preg...sigh.

so like karen, i also miss working life. want to be able to be financially independent, esp now that i hv a bb. due to too much free time at home, i tend to be lazy and most of the time, dont feel good abt myself cus i find myself irrelevant. quite a torture being a so-called 'tai-tai'...

btw, want to ask those on subsidise at govt hospital (eg kk, nuh, sgh)...my last visit was at 21 weeks but no one offered or talked to me abt delivery packages. im at 23 weeks now. shld i take the initiative to check with the hospital i visit?
 
Hi

Thanks Jenifur, girlygirly and jul_in_week23 for your advise....

Yap I have ask my gynea before but he is Mr OK so mostly everything he also say ok and ask me not to worry. But I know its all individual la so cant compare. As for my weight, he dun take weight every visit and I guess his main concern is on the baby and not mother. Now I start to suspect its the mummy's milk that make me fat in such a short period as my food intake is still as per normal maybe slightly more meat nowsaday thats about all.

Girlygirly, so envy you only put on so little weight till now....
 
acneery

now u said that, i realized it really cld be the 'Mommy's milk'! coz during my 1st pregnancy, i drank anmum daily, and when i was at the delivery suite, my wt was 57kg. however in my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy, i didn't take any coz i don't know why but the milk makes my stomach uncomfortable...for both i was only 50kg when i delivered...for this 4th, i didn't take any as well coz i find them too sweet...i rather take fresh milk....

coincidence or what im nt sure...my sis who is also currently pregnant switch to low-fat fresh milk instead of those powder type for expecting mothers coz she too was gaining wt fast...
 
Yes girly and acneery, i also wondered where did the weight came from. i put on 4kg on the 5th month and tat was when i started anfamama.

on my previous visits, i only put on less than a kg every month till i started the milk..sob sob. i stopped now... will resume on the 8th month. heheh.
 
Dear All,
It has been a real long time since I loggin to chat..Currently in France (Bordeaux) here is super boring everyday stay at home either cook nor do housework.Just hit the 1 mth mark.Don't know how long can I last here OMG.

Last Sat just went to see the gyne here ,they dun do scan everytime and I did not get a chance to see my bb kinda of sad. Ppl here dun have section-C unless special cases mostly the due date they calculate will be 41 weeks or 42 weeks. I got to wait for another 1 mth again before doing the scan. How I wish to be back in SG. Miss my family so much..
sad.gif
Here so cold and so lonely everyday have to wait for frends to be online to chat. Worst thing is no one online at times!! Haiz...So far never gain much now only 48kg kinda of scare ppl not growing well stomach seems to be very small for 24 weeks. What can I do?? Stress..

Hubby go work come back also tired we never talk much also. Haizz... Always all alone so bored to the max!!! OMG I think I going crazy over here.How I wish I can turn back time. Anyone can suggest what can I do ?? Help help... Feeling very depress and sad.
 
hi mummies, sorry to intrude, me is Jan mummy...got this to sell

Graco Playpen with bassinet

Selling at 9.5/10

GRACO playpen with bassinet.
Selling it coz baby prefer to sleep in cot.
Used less than 3 times, not even 5 mins.

Bought at $259 now selling at $200, will include playpen mattress (bought at $34) still in plastic
Comes with motor which vibrates and got lights and light music.
comes with a bag
Note: the toys hanging there is not the actual toys, actual toys will be given together with the playpen.

Self pick up at sembawang.
2471304.jpg
 
Hi Mavis..perhaps you can start a blog. it will be a good outlet for you to vent and 'talk it out'.

what i do sometimes is go to streaming sites for free movies, or catch up with new songs online in youtube. Most of the time i play games in facebook, can keep me occupied most time of the day. =)

if you hv any hobby (ie photography, cooking, sewing, or hair styling, etc) can turn it into a business. This is one of the most productive ideas.

my husband also gets tired at the end of the day. i complained alot at first that he is not spending enough time with me but this will only worsen the situation. so, i try to become more independent by looking for another 'outlet'. if my husband want my company, he will come to me and i will then treat him like a king. this will encourage him to take the initiative of coming together than me chasing after him with complaints. Hope this helps =)
 
ya 1 of the marriage tips is to offer unconditional love without any obligations or strings attached.

And avoid thinking only of me, myself and I.

Always live and think together as a couple.

Simple yet difficult to comply.
 
Morning Everyone!!

Jenifur
i just email you. So sorry i got to cancel my order. Do let me know if it is still possible. I overspend liao :p

Regarding weight gain

Me too have been gaining weight. Hit the 5kg mark liao. I envy mummies that are light weight pre pregnancy. Must be the ice cream haha. Need to watch my diet liao

mama26Js
I too have thesslasemia beta minor. But gyn say i can take iron only during pregnancy. I do experience fainting spell once in a while
 
oh my gynae is against me drinking those mommy's milk. he said unless i wanna put on a lot of weight. he also never specify that i must drink milk. he said just take low fat milk or even better, soy milk. he is not very into cow's milk as well. in short, he is a total health freak!

mavis
here few mommies r lamenting over the absence of their husbands, and there you are following husb who station overseas but feeling lonely. actually i experienced both! after being "abandoned" by hub for my first and most of 2nd trimester here, cos he was in aus to work, he asked me to follow him there. but when i was there i was so lonely and everyday at home alone while he went to work! that time no motherhood forum, no msn, no yahoo, u can imagine how miserable i was! good thing aussies work short hours so 5pm sharp he knock off and come home. u gotta learn how to occupy urself lor. think positively, even though ur hub busy u still get to see him and sleep beside him every nite. i guess each of us has our own challenges also hor

huichern
ur thal is beta huh? i heard beta is risky? correct me if im wrong. i freaked out when gynae told me i had alpha thal when i was preg with my gal cos nobody told me this before!! i thought i was gonna die!
 
mama26Js

I find i got beta at age 16 cos my bro was detected during his NS checkout. I also thought i'm going to die young or something
Well, not risky i heard. Just make sure your partner is not a carrier. Thank God DH is not.
 
huichern
oh i see... so have u found out which side of ur parent carry the gene? till now i have not found out also becos my dad no longer ard! cos when my gynae told me im alpha he said thank goodness is alpha cos if its beta its more troublesome. thats what he said lah.
 
i just recvd my motherhood.com package today. their quality is so so good and their bottoms all come with the belly band which is so so comfortable and for once i can wear a pair of jeans which doeesnt hang at my ankle. cos the length of bottoms sold in local stores r all too short for me
 
Hi Mavis,
long time no "see". i supposed all of us have each of our problems.. like u being bored and me so busy with work that i got no time to do other things.

If u are gd with handicraft, mayb can do something for bb or urself? Starting a blog will be good too, an avenue for u to vent ur frustrations. Start some online businesses?? Mayb by the time bb comes along, u will find urself so busy with bb that u got not time for other stuff... so try to enjoy the free time u have now and dont think negatively lor...
 
hi all MTB! congrats to u all

im new here n it's my first post... having our first born bb boym due-ing in mid sept 09.. exciting... hopefully can hit 09.09.09... lol

oso dilemma over to be WM or SAHM... havnt decide at all.. would luv to take care of bb by myself.. that gd in terms of the breastfeeding part that i wont need to store in office and bring back home...

in my 23 wk.. experiencing backaches esp evening time onwards... belly became more heavier and bloated.. waddled like a penguin... so sad when nobody let me sit in the crowded MRT.. they just look at me like im an alien with fat belly...

has been eating many choco kit kats and ice creams.. lol... hopefully i m not overweight.. since my doc hasnt weigh me since the 1st appt in my 1st mth... looking forward to next appt (which is this wk) prepared a lot of questions to ask him...

oh.. looking forward to arrange a pre-natal massage to ease my pains too.. hahaha... cheerio
 
Hey gals!

mavis

Gd to see you here. Hmm are there any Singaporean or at least South-east Asian families there? Try to make frens with the other mums, or u will get very depressed leh.

Can understand that u r so down now b/c u're in a strange cty with no frens, family, &amp; ur HB is busy working. Try to hang in there ok? Maybe u can try to pick up some hobby to occupy ur time also?

jenifur

Oh, if that's the case, then maybe ard less than $100 for the set? I will go take a look at Aussino soon. If I can't find anything I like, I may decide to get from Walmart after all.

mamato6

Ooh.. I have to collect my Gap jeans this weekend from this spree. I hope it fits.
 
Welcome jessica
happy.gif


Me also had backaches (actually I got them in 1st tri!) But I have been wearing this support band which really helps to relieve back ache, stretching tummy muscles &amp; reduce freq of gog to pee! Quite a lot of us bot the support band after one of the mummies here recomm it.
 
Hello Mommies~

Back from my Monday off from work... ^^

Been to OUB Centre yesterday and they are having moving out sale at the 3rd floor( I think ). Selling baby clothes... Nothing priced more that 13 dollars and As cheap as 50cents! But as I didn't really check when I made payment, I noticed little holes on the 50 cent piece. And on other pieces, Some buttons were off. Or a little stained...So... remember to check!

Mmm... My Gynae advises no chinese herbs during pregnancy due to no scientific proof etc. Any of you mommies take and herb like foods? My MIL cooks herbs every weekend and I can only see my hubby drink it. When I only get to drink Chicken essence once in 2 weeks? =(

I heard Birds Nest is good for BB skin? True?

About mommies milk, DH makes a cup for me every morning. So far, I've gained 5kg? I think it's not the milk... But more to our daily diet. Some people think that I don't look like I'm on my 23rd week. They said my tummy is a tad small... Whereas my mom thinks It's too big to be 23 weeks >.<
 
Harlo BUSY BUSY..

Who am i suppose to meet for lunch tmr har.... at raffles place!!
Pls SMS me to confirm time and venue.. its flexible for me...

EXHAUSTED ... BACK TO WORK REALITY!!!
 
Hi Ladies

Good day everyone!

Peanut butter
thanks for the tip, I will try to retrace the threads on breast pumps.

Ah Goh
I like your insights on treating your husband like a King. The reverse psychology method!

Mavis
My husband travels a lot and on some long trips I tag along. I really enjoy it because I have new things to explore. Get to know the ppl there. In fact it is back in Sgp that I get bored. Most of my friends are working and most are not married or pregnant. But glad to find all you ladies here!!
 

hey pamelia, ijus came back from OUB Centre. ya. i bought a few too. size range from 0-6 months.

Kiddo &amp; Milky, wanna go meet for lunch den head to OUB centre tmr??
 

Back
Top