(2009/06) June 2009 MTBs

Mummy_Ash: Latching in public, I've a poncho if there's no nursing room, otherwise, can just hide in nursing room
happy.gif
Still finding a good nursing cover cos mine is soft and light but I can't peep and adjust position unless someone hold it for me or I've to insert my head into the poncho
happy.gif

I went Taka nursing room which can be shared, and man not supposed to walk near, I'm ok with it,can chat w new mom some more. The ones at Paragon is solo type, only 1 at a time

If your hubby drive, then it's perfect to feed inside the car
happy.gif
save time and just need minimal cover.

TPY_mommy: Thanks! My PD asked us got any question, but we always have no question to ask.. huh, I should have write it down! But how about BM? Also no water needed?

11_beans: Looks like your son is in NY time! But is he growing well?

11 beans, guessed yr baby has confused the day & night.. baby is conditional behavior.. u can tune it back but it will takes time.. What i do is...

In the day, i will make it less cosy.. such open window/curtain (let fresh air in the room), bright room, play & talk to her (15min before feed), feed him in a bright room..

while @ night, set a sleeping time, no activity before sleep (i will not play or talk with her), i will draw up the curtain, feed her in a dim room, play relaxing music (baby will learn to relax @ night so that they could hv good night sleep)..

hey mommies, does your baby become more cranky @ night (7pm -11pm)?

Ok, I hv asked my PD too.. it is due to a sudden change in their body n weather temp.. The night temp is low than day. Hence, the baby feel a change in their body temp too. if we are able to adjust it right, they will be less cranky..adjust it by dressing, sleeping location, air con temp, etc..

If sleep in air con room, always increase the temp 3degree more than the room temp.. ie.. room temp normal 25temp so plus 3 = 28 degree for room..

Funny, right? I do find it weird.. but it work for my gal.. their nose will not be dry

dolly, do you realise that pIS suction is not so strong after used for sometime? I have used it for almost 1.5mth.. feel that the suction is getting weaker or my nipple is getting numb being sucked..

My milk supply is dropping drastically.. Got demand but no supply.. daily feeding: 240ml for my 4yr son (1 feed) and 150ml for my daugther (2 feeds) also got problem.. very demoralised..

1) I pump every 5-6hrs cos going back to work soon.. so start to stretch the pumping time..

2) Oso sometime, pump halfway.. my baby cried.. no one around.. so must stop pump..

3) Only let my baby latch on during weekend cos my in law complaining that she is too cringy..

Wonder is the pump problem or my milk supply is dropping..

angelbaby8, my Cl is helping my friend now,which will end in 2 week time (3rd aug).. I give her a thumb up for her service. When u wt the CL to commence?

TPY_mommy: wow, you feeding your 4yr old son w BM still? Maybe that's why?
My PIS is ok leh, my cousin used it 2 years ago for 1.5 month, so far I started only managed to pump last weeks, I use the lowest power and it's still OK. Maybe your nipple is getting used to the pump and need more power? You supply very good already, I pump around 90ml in total most of the time, sometimes didn't manage to pump at all cos cannot bring myself out of bed and scared baby wake too soon.

finally got time to post! was reading and when i wanted to post baby always wake up and interrupt!

feeding has been 2.5 - 3 hours interval. usually i start from latching on. baby will automatically unlatch after 15 mins then i'll change sides. if still hungry, top up with 60-90ml of FM, depending on how long more to next feed, and how long baby has latched on.

i haven't been able to hear baby swallowing until last weekend. realised he's been drinking little from left breast, causing supply to drop on tat side. now i always start with left breast cos need to build up supply.

was quite happy today cos can pump 80ml instead of the usual 50 ml. hope supply is finally increasing.

my boy gained 800+ grams so far (1 month 3 days). a bit concerned cos it's lower than the average 1kg but dr says it's ok.

i'm using a dual pump. how long should i pump?? 15 mins? 30 mins?

amk_gal: How long does it takes your boob to be emptied from pumping? Till now I've not pump many times, but when my boob is very full (like leaking wherever I go) I can pump 90ml from it in 10 min, but other times can only manage 10ml after 20min. And I use dual pump too, different breast yields diff amount.

dolly, i think i need abt 20min to empty my boobs.. Maybe its the pump n it takes some time for my boobs to letdown.. Bt i've tried pis at the tmc parentcraft before,needs only 10min to pump 1000ml!....tts super fast,so tts why i made e decision to buy medela freestyle.

I used to pump exclusively.. Bt now since im better in latching,have since started a routine of latching,then pump then bottlefeed ebm..bt tts in e daytime. For nighttime, i ll latch as far as my physical body can carry me.. if nt my hubby ll bottle feed ebm. I used to pump ever 3 to 4 hrly intrval.. Nw since im latching,i ve stopped pumping at nite.

Qn to nursing mummies: is it ok for me to latch on only 1side for each nursing session?.. My boy eats and reallu drinks for abt 20min then seems satisfied so i hardly offer the next breast. My concern is, if i dun pump out the other breast, it will take another 2hrs before e milk can be expressed!..so i wonder if my milk supply will drop? .. Any advice? ... Bt its so tiring to feed n still pump at nite.. E whole cycle will take abt an hr! ... Sighh..

Lately,i found some little red bumps in my boy's scalp as well.. Im nt sure if they are heat rash and if they are itchy. Any mummies experiencing this as well..? ...

Finished feeding. Time to sleep before baby wakes up again!....

Mummyash, I afraid the supply will drop.. Last time, I can pump 90-120ml every 3hr/4hr.. Now sigh!! 70ml every 5-6hr.. I have no choice cos I am going to work soon n my workplace doesnt has lactation room.. so I hv to drag my pumping hr..

If u breastfeed alternate breast every 3-4hr, the gap for each breast for each alternate interval will be 6hr..so it will be best to pump n feed.. but very siong for you..

Little red bump could be heat rash cos my son had it when he was a baby too.. but it will best to check w the PD.. cos is so near to his brain.. dun anyhow apply medication.

dolly, no la.. really supply dropping..

each day pump 4times X 70-120ml each times = 280ml - 480ml (seldom 480ml, avg the most is 350ml)

I dun keep stock in the fridge.. cos read TMC book said BM can only can kept 48hr.

So how to continue my supply to my children with the BM? i need 540ml a day.

I realised that BM is really good for my elder son too.. he was falling sick last week but he kept drinking my BM n took some medicine.. he recovered very fast.. fast than usual.. So I tot of continue to give him BM.

I love my gal so much cos she knows when her grandma free time n disturb her.. heehee...

Her grandma cum her caregiver always wanting her to sleep.. rock n rock the sarong when she doesnt wt to sleep in the afternoon.. cos she has slept enuf in the morning..

My gal will start to cry n demand for attention when her grandma is watching TV from 3pm - 5pm.. she will poopoo n demand to be washed (her habit - personal hygenice).. heehee..

That is the only time her grandma is free.. other time is either marketing, cooking or washing.. so my gal really knows how to pick her time..

It is also good for me cos her REM will stop @ 9pm every night.. n fall into her sweet dream n wake up 6.30am for her first feed of the day.

<font color="0000ff">my boy not really on new york timing leh.. he been sleeping really well at night too.. heh. o well.. maybe cos i been exercising him when he's awake.. make him super tired.. hahaa..

he's 5 weeks already, i realised we have not registered his birth yet!!! oh shoot wait kenah fine.. gotta go tomorrow i think..</font>

TPY_mommy: Wow your gal so good! How you do it?

Last night is the first time I woke my son up from his sleep and latch him on at 11pm. Then I wanna wake him at 1am because he starts to move (and wake me up) but my CL says should let him sleep, in the end he was fed at 2am+ Then the next feed at 6am.

11_beans: Quick quick you have to register before 40 days right? Think after 30 days already got a fine? Do send in all the CDA account application and cash gift registration form at the same time

<font color="0000ff">mummy ash >> every time i only latch one side.. even if baby unlatch, i will try to burp him or let him rest awhile then latch back on the same side still for the same feeding session. mik sure enough one.

actually if switch sides, wouldnt the brain interpret as baby dun need so much and supply drops instead?

Also i very scared bb get too much foremilk if switch sides cos start of feed always foremilk, lots of lactose. Lactose overload will cause tummy ache.. so i always stick to 1 side.

Dolly >> ya lor!! so planning maybe tomorrow drop by my office also. Anyone went back office (without baby) ? need to bring red eggs or not ah?? i planning to bring a cake but dunno wanna bring eggs or not.. or maybe i buy some ang ku kueh? any suggestions? Cos bb full month le i dun wanna go back empty handed also hahaaa.. </font>

Hi,

anyone doing pneumococcal jab for your baby? Is 2 months old too soon? I know that if I do it after 6 months, he will only take 2 jabs. But if 2 months, he will take 3 jabs. It's not the cost that bothers me, it's whether baby can take the jab at such young age. Any advice?

11 bean, i went back office w/o baby.. to b careful cos never know who is sick in the office.. but i brought along my gal album n video clip took when she born... i order cake from coffee bean &amp; tea.. no kueh/egg cos some may find tha hassle to peel egg shell/find the ang ku kueh too oily..

Hi Dolly, I think yr CL is right.. let them wake up on their own for feed.. a way to stretch their feed.. somehow baby should be less hungry in the night cos they are inactive.. so is all right to stretch their feed..

mummyash: my boy has little bumps on his scalp too. no worries. heat rash will go away on its own.

dolly, i think the time to empty breasts varies. sometimes short sometimes long... my right and left breasts not balanced so different amount of time. think generally 30 mins ba... if it's after a feed maybe 20 mins..

11_beans: No plan to go back office w baby, cos I've already invited some of them for the 1st mth celebration. Also I'm getting one of my colleague to return cake cards to those well wishers
happy.gif

mummyash, amk_gal: My boy has pimple on his face and on his scalp as well, they start to disappear after applying Calendula cream given by my friend during 1st month, really come in handy

createjoy, don't worry, if your boy is already 4.6kg at 5wks, then he's growing very well! Not latching is ok what, at least you feel more assure when you pump and feed, cos you know exactly how much bb is eating. I'm worried about supply lor, cos my girl was heavier than your boy at birth (2965g) and at 6wks only 3.26kg. But doc says she's ok leh, so maybe that's just the way she is. Small and long haha.

bbaug, Terence's appointments are usually fully booked from about 2-3mths beforehand! It's crazy. Anything less, you'll just have to walk in. I waited 1hr as a walk-in the other day. Guess I'm considered lucky already?? Haha...

LFB, babies can take the pneumococcal jab at 2mths, I'm planning to let my girl take it together with her 6in1 when she's 2mths, doing it on 4th Aug. My friend's bb took the jab @2mths, seemed fine, no fever or anything. But of course, maybe best that you check with the PD whether take at 2mths or after 6mths is BETTER. For us, someone we know had a kid who kenna meningitis at 3mths old and nearly died, and took more than 1yr to recover, so both my friend and I are very scared after hearing their story, and we choose to send our babies for the jab at 2mths... KS lah, but cos this sort of thing happened to someone we know, it hits closer to home and we feel more paranoid.

<u>CDA / Baby bonus</u>
I haven't sent in all the forms for CDA/baby bonus. Anyone knows if I can just chuck everything into the enclosed envelope and mail in? or must go bank to get their endorsement, etc etc? We didn't do it that time at the hospital lah, then after discharge, procrastinate until now...

TubbyMummy: Wow, at last you logged in again
happy.gif

Yeah, your girl small size, but if PD OK, then nothing wrong lah!

Still thinking about the pneumococcal jab though, but thanks for sharing... maybe really need one more jab for my boy.

Tubbymummy,
ya that's what I am afraid of! I am only worried abt bb's acceptance to the drug, not the cost. Think will ask around more. Thanks.

CDA
You must go to the bank to endorse the doc, then send the materials back. There is a hotline number to call. They will explain what needed. Just get your IC and bb birth cert copy ready!

USERS OF AMEDA PUMP
do we have to wash the tubes everytime we use the pump? it seems that the tubes remain clean and only there to provide the suction?

after using the ameda pump i realised that it doesnt empty my breasts fully and they become engorged and i feel hard lumps( i tried to pump for 15-30mins until i see no BM at all). does anyone face the same prob as me?

avent manual works better for me, it empties the breasts better but its very sickening cos the valve keep getting dislodged during pumping. does anyone face the same prob??

BABY'S WEIGHT
my PD mentioned that the guideline is +/-1kg weight gain from birth weight at 4 weeks.

11 Beans, thanks for your advice! This is what I was told by my colleagues too who were totally breastfeeding and never even use the pump at all! ... she just offer 1 breast per session so that each breast can be emptied fully per session, unless baby does not have enough from 1 breast. I guess I will continue this routine for this week and monitor the milk supply.. milk supply currently seems to be increasing a bit, i just pumped out 5.5oz of milk without latching and with 3hr interval.. it was usually abt 4oz in the evening. hmm.. The latching is however causing strain on myself physical well being.. sigh, maybe its my positioning of the baby, he seems uncomfy sometimes.. and he still chokes on my milk at times!! but he never chokes while feeding on bottle!! ...

Dolly, my mil says the rashes are ok too... i will just be mindful to rub his rashes gently if he cries sometimes for no reason, maybe its itchy?? heheh ..

Tubbymummy, I think there is a dateline to the submission of the CDA forms and baby bonus forms.. i had checked with ocbc bank, its 1 month from birth .. not sure if the officer at the bank is right tho..

First mum... I am an ameda user too... and I am going to stop using this pump soon. I encountered the same problem as you as I was previously pumping exclusively, then the breast is always so lumpy even after pumping that I am so scared of getting infection, so i went to see mrs wong bb, and she taught me the right way to massage the breasts before pumping.. but to be honest, even after massaging, the ameda pump cant empty my left breast very well as well. So my immediate solution is to latch my baby, and lo and behold! the lumps are gone! ... so I am latching him more often to prevent myself from pumping so much .. Mrs wong bb also commented that 9 out of 10 users of ameda pumps experienced blocked ducts.. but its still a cheaper version of a good grade pump .. but not as good as medela pis.. I had just ordered a medela freestyle .. why not invest in one too?
btw, the tubes no need to wash.. no contact with the breast milk at all...

I have a qn for nursing mummies.. Do your nipples feel sensitive nowadays? .. mine arent painful.. but its sensitive, ie.. they are usually a little errect, not like prebirth days when its usually soft.. then cant wear tshirt over breasts, too much rubbing and nipples cannot take it.. is this normal? then after each pumping session worse!! ... the nipples look fat. ahhahah ... is this normal?

mummy_ash: Just had a 40min nursing on one breast
happy.gif
Yeah, nipples are more sensitive, and wondering why Triumph come out w nursing bra that has seams inside! So dumb right? Good that we are out of the time when nipple is painful from nursing though.

Some elders says the rashes are the heatiness from birth, so may be the coconut water which I took before birth are not that useful afterall.

Strange that your boy choke on your breast but not bottles! My boy was introduce to bottles last week and he's drinking very slow. He finishes 2 ounce in 10 to 15 min time

<font color="0000ff">mummyash, firstmum,

that makes 3 of us.. i also get blocked ducts quite often. but i massage and massage during the pump and squeeze until no lumps then i stop.. though is dual pump, i pumping 1 side at a time cos both side different pressure required. 1 side need stronger suction then the other side will hurt..

no getting 1 ounce per hour only.. 3 hr interval get 3 ounce, 4 hr 4 ounce.. not increasing leh..

i guess i wont be changing the pump.. already stress over how to depreciate the ameda liao hahaaa by saving on milk powder!! so, maybe 1 more kid will depreciate it enough..!! </font>

<font color="0000ff">dolly >> my boy take bottle also very slow.. yours not slow le. mine can take 45min to finish 3 ounce sometimes!! plus burping, can 1 hour lor.. plus pumping, washing, sterilising, the whole process soooo long!!
so latching is the easy way, but i lazy to wake up at night to feed so use ebm/fm and my maid can do the night feeds while i wake up twice or thrice to pump, and on and off to check in on bb.. heh.

my bb chokes on breast also. Cos letdown too fast, he cannot swallow in time.. so everytime he gulp gulp gulp and cry and unlatch abt 3 times b4 peaceful.. dunno how to slow it down tho.. so bo bian..</font>

dolly, my boy drinks 3.5 oz in less than 15min,using nuk tiny feed hole somemore!... Bt he can choke on my breastmilk... Wat an insult to my breast rite, hehe.

Im nt sleeping yet, lying on bed waiting for his next feed at 11pm..bt he is still nt awake.. put him to sarong for first night!.. Guess he is enjoying it then.. Heh.

So dolly, u latch ur boy for 40min on a breast! Can imagine hw tiring. Hw do u tell tt baby is full? I unlatch him when 1.he is sleeping and tickling dun trigger any suckling 2. he really sleeps and milk is leaking from his mouth! 3. He spits my nipple out. Bt sometimes its false alarm, i unlatch him and it seems tt he still wants more.. So i tot maybe tt breast is empty so i offer the next breast for him. Any advice? Cos im still quite newbie in latching baby..
happy.gif
Do u pump after each latching?

hi mummies,
anyone knows wad is the costs of jabs in TMC under dr ang poon liat???

I read some posts from other thread according to them the 2 dr angs in TMC is no good..shld i switch PD???
Any reccomendations??
thanks for ur help

Mummy_Ash: I'm still learning... the timing varies, and yes, the easiest is when baby doze off and spit it out. Sometimes my boy just doing comfort suckling, that's why start to introduce pacifier, else dun think my nipple can tahan.

boy coming back for milk again
happy.gif

Mummy_Ash: I latch lying down some times, especially when I wan him to sleep. I can't tell when he's full, but is rather he dun wan/need to suck anymore
happy.gif

1. If he sleeps, and dun suckle much even when you stimulate him, then he's not sucking much milk anyway, so just let go. He'll either wake w a smile (meaning full at the moment) or continue to sleep.

2. When he sucking pattern change, nipple become painful and sucking not active, I do the drop hand test. Hold his hand and drop it on the bed, if he dun respond, then he's quite asleep, and I try that a few times and on both hands to make sure he's sound asleep. If so, pull out my nipple gently (like now)

thanks dolly for e advice heh ... Look at us, multi tasking and surfing while nursing in e wee hrs! ..
I tried latching while lying down, dunnoo if my boobs r nt big enuff, baby ant find a comfy position leh .. Heh ..
he's still suckling nw.. Shall try e drop hand mtd later,haha..

Just finished a feed and pump... going to wash and sterilized... YAWNZZZZZZZZZZzzzz

GOOD MORNING ALL PANDA EYED MOMMIES
happy.gif

It's beautiful morning, havent smell the air yet, but the solar eclipse is kicking in, in a few hours time...

My left side producing only 70ml, right side 80ml per 4 hourly... Got to latch my girl on when I am free to get 80-80.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thirsty and hungry now... I'm going to grab soya milk and catch 2 hours of sleep till her next feed.

She amazingly stretch to 3.5 to 4 hours at night. Day if she's not asleep is about 3 hours. I hope the result at kk appt will be good later... if 8 weeks and she's still not 3kg I wish I can cut my fats at my tummy and give her!

sigh...

Where is the eclipse? So tiring... wonder what will be like when my CL left!

Qi: I wish I can cut my fat too! Have not been losing much weight leh

i'm still on my quest to increase milk supply... now it's at least a bit better than right after i got mastitis, so nothing i should complain about i guess.

i cannot empty my breasts with the ameda pump. isn't it like tat for all pumps?? tot baby can empty the breasts the best. my right breast not getting quite emptied these days cos i always start with the left breast (i have less milk on left side). now that it's more or less equal guess it's time to alternate and offer different breasts first at different feeding.

i eventually will move to fully pumping in the day and latch only at night to prepare for work. if the medela is better at emptying then i'll consider getting one. anyone can share their experience with the pump? i tried the medela one at kkh, is better than ameda i must say. can get more milk in shorter time.

how much of FM do you supplement daily?? i was counting and i supplement about 250-270ml everyday...

argh.. so frsutrated.. my boy is rejecting my right breast again! .. he latches beautifully at night on my right breast but spit it out always in the daytime! .. but loves the left breast.. sigh, i checked his nose, everything to see why he fusses... nth.. still reject.. so in the end, i gave him bottled ebm .. i wonder if its the reason for rejecting my right breast.

its tough taking care of him alone.. have to latch, bottle feed, clean and pump! ... its the punping which is tough, how to pump when he is not sleeping??!?! ... and sometimes he just dun sleep! .. and my pumping session will be delayed! ..

Such a beautiful day today.. i think i ought to catch some sleep now that he is finally sleeping... hmmm

amk gal, I think u shld consider investing in a medela pump.. cos I think ameda pump really cant empty that well. But its getting better for me now since I latch more, and before pumping massage.. in the midst of pumping when u see hardly any more milk coming out.. stop and massage again... then pump until let down and until not much milk ... that way it works for me in emtpying my breasts.

my boy is awake again..poor me. sigh.. cant rest at all!

mummy ash: my boy also not not sleeping much in the day... he sleeps more at night which is in a way good too. he's still awake, but heck la.. i'm going to take a short nap since he's playing on his own =)

amk_gal: Yeah, my boy is not sleeping in the day time, drink already, doze for few seconds and wakes again.

When I pump, the milk drip all the time, but usually I dun empty my breast, cos dunno when my son will need it. Just now pumped for 8 min, lucky I stop, cos my boy wakes up soon after and start latching

amk girl.. ur boy is good! at least he can play there himself.. mine dont. he is attention seeking! ..

dolly, I totally understand how frustrating.. after i pump my boy will be impatient at my breast.. and i noticed that he only LOVES to drink at both breasts at night when i dont pump at all.. cos I am tired of latching all e time and appreciate my mil to take care of my baby when i am not at home, I have to cont pumping.. so i am still practicing routine of latching, then pumping, then bottle feed ebm.. and routine repeats.. so that there is enuff milk for him in the breasts .. and i can still store. But now I have a problem.. I have abt 10 packets of frozen milk in freezer.. and some bottles of milk in the fridge.. if my routine cont, there seems no need for those frozen milk! what a waste will that be... hmm... but then again, who knows, my supply could drop anytime when i get too stressed.

btw, does frozen milk store for 2 months or 3 months? I had read inconsistent infor on the websites..

u know my boy is sleeping now, finaly.. but ... i find no time to rest, cos i need to wash and hang clothes, sterilize bottles.. etc etc.. and I really wish I had engaged a CL.. sigh.

hi mommies, i really salute to u guys.. well discipline mommy award. i'hv to admitted that i m not a good mommy.. my last feed latest is 11.45pm.. n 1st feed earliest is 5.30-6am.. i do not know if my gal has wake up for milk or not...i guess NO cos i m a light sleeper n she can cry super loud.. but she always widely awake in the afternoon from 1pm to 5pm..diturbing my MIL watching TV (my motive, heehee).. she wld only sleep after she has cleaned up ard 6pm n taken her evening feed.. so by then she must b super tired lo.. to wake up n disturb anyone

i feel guilty cos i didnt wake up to pump..cos no feel of engorge. could it be the reason y milk supply getting lesser?

hi mommies,
i am curious w the below questions.
1. how often we need to change the nursing pad? $$$ very siong to change every pumping session..
2. how to unlatch the baby? Do u pat after unlatch?
3. Do u clean yr breast before letting baby to latch? how do if is outside?
4. Do u wear nursing bra during BF? the cover can be very irritating..
4. how do u know yr breast is empty? My always not hard.. so pump or no pump, cant really tell the different.. Imagine 2 breast only can pump 70ml/4hrs (Sigh!!!)
5. how do u sterlise the pump? my friend told me not to steam/boil cos produce chemical which is bad for baby..

Back