(2009/06) June 2009 MTBs

sweethalo> preggie le cannot eat sashimi, i've been craving for salmon sashimi since the day doctor confirmed my pregnancy.... i also begged my gynae to allow me to eat, all he say was NO, cos it's got bacteria la, can only eat after birth....

<font color="aa00aa">ahnetsan >> heehee thot that nick looked pretty familiar.. I was also from there, nick was eleven_soyabeans..

congrats on your pregnancy!! =)</font>

ahnetsan- sian... some MTB discussed this topic and we sort of said shld be fine... since Singapore quite clean...

AMKgal- I hv been feeling bloated after meals too, no matter the small qty that I am eating. I think bak kwah especially causes me to feel indigestion.. so tried not to eat too much at a go..

When I feel bloated and uncomfy, I take a bottle of Yakult.

toffeecat> wow, so nice... can get ur flat next yr le, so fast... eh, wats AHG? you mean now there's additional 40k grant?? i tot it's the rise from 30k to 40k only? oh my, im so confused now...

i've also been drinking honey red tea wif pearls, i love bubble tea... esp after pregnant, dunno y keep wanting to drink... but my hubby keep telling me not to drink too much, cos he dunno heard from who dat preggie cannot drink too much tea....
sad.gif

11_beans> haha yeah i remb u... u also pregnant shortly after weddng yeah?
happy.gif
how many weeks now? how are you feeling? do you stil chat in sept brides forum? i think there are 3 or 4 brides pregnant le.

sweethalo,
I've had lots. And lots. And more. Heehee. Scary stories from all kinds about all things. That same strand of bacteria can be found in lotsa other foods - even with cross contamination. I trust the professional judgement of the drs my sister and I see. Plus I see the sense in being responsible for the QUALITY of the raw fish and eggs we eat, rather than flat out avoiding them.

I'm still recovering from CNY activities too. Looking fwd but also not looking forward to this weekend again!
Bellies surely starting to get in the way for most of us, "Coming soon to a body near you" for others. Even when sitting down, bending forward causes some discomfort. I can't keep my legs crossed for too long without feeling uncomfy anymore either.

ahnetsan,
I'd be envious of myself too. I'll probably work from home in due time. But yes, I do feel blessed to not have to worry abt returning to work after everything is "over" and my new life begins. We have been quite prudent when it comes to saving and that has helped heaps even though I haven't worked for years and years.
Just curious: why quit after wedding?

jam75,yeah... at last it's our turn.. hehe... wait quit long already...huh... you will drink the fresh one or can one? for cutting toes nails,i still try to do it by myself,just think it's excise bah.. like yoga... keke... when in 3rd tri,don't know... when it's comes then see how.. hahaa...

Bing,i stay at hougang,near to seng kang.. but i visiting KKH.. I will talk to my bb also,hehee... plus drink juice or something else...

Re:bubble tea/iced drinks
I nv drink those drinks since last year Oct.. because iced drink is not good for our BB and us..

Cassey,I will talk to my BB tonight... keke... you will join me soon... me also not working,i quit my job before last year christmas.. and plan to take care BB for at least 1 year..

Ling, just went to check the HDB website, think the AHG quite complicated. even though the cap is $5k, the more you earn the less grant you get. previously combined income 3.5k-4k, will only get $5k. although still get something but not as much as i first thot. haven't experience the leg cramps yet *touchwood*. think when you experience cramps can try flexing toes towards your tummy. at least that was wat my hb told me to do when i had the feet cramps the one time when i was walking and it works! he says not enough salt in the body. hmm..

sweethalo, yeah, the showflat looks very nice and it is too exp for us. but it's so hard to get a ballot number. we applied for so many flats and our ballot number always last 20% of total applied, so don't even get a chance to choose.

cassey> i tendered before my wedding last sept, cos im super sick of work there and wanted to change a new environment... who knows so fast kenna pregnant...
sad.gif
den preggie how to find employement? plus even if i wan to pretend dat i dunno im pregnant during the first 3 months, i've been hugging the toilet bowl all the time, where got energy to find job? so im jobless lor...

Stickymouse- i heard from my MIL that boys will kick until we beh tahan... she told me to be prepared... I am abit scared yet looking forward to the real beckham kick.

The fetal movts that I hv been feeling for some time now seems only discernable by me, myself alone! I tried getting hubby to touch and feel it, he looked at me like I gila... then i thot he is just insensitive ... the other night when i felt bb move alot, i got my mum to leave her hands on my tummy... she said can't feel anything... in the end everyone just said to me "Be patient la, not yet! Now only moving around"

jam75 &amp; toffeecat, I also LOVE bubble tea! I like simple green tea with pearl (mainly love the pearls haha), but ppl tell me green tea is "liang", don't drink too much. So I didn't drink bubble tea at all in 1st tri, and of late, I've been resorting to drinking red milk tea with pearl, hoping that the milk will counteract any "liang"ness. Wahaha! Later going Bugis, already planned way in advance to drink bubble tea. Happy!

ahnetsan,
any OJ / lime juice. Some MTBs swear by it but my boy totally doesn't respond to it. Ppl say drink for scan in case bb inactive. But to active also very hard to get images and measurements.

Best situation for scan: Baby in good position and keep still.
If bb in good position, no need to move.
If bb (like mine) in lousy position, then pls move!

Maybe like bing says, just talk to bb. Bring cold O.J. JUST IN CASE the fella is not in right position and refuses to move no matter what you and sonographer do!

Re: Bubble Tea
If worried about ice, ok la. Valid.
If worried about tea, not much "real tea" left in the concoctions we drink anyway.
So relax, it's mostly just syrup and flavouring anyway.

<font color="aa00aa">Ahnetsan >> I'm at 20 weeks, went for detailed scan yesterday.. =) You? Prince or Princess?? heehee

have not had any MS so far... doc said yesterday that i'm gaining weight too fast.. *sad* so i have to control liao.. i also quite owrried, so far abt 6kg liao wor... yikes..

quite the "marksman", my hb, the conception date is like exactly on my wedding day ??!! hahaaa.. though i know is plus minus 1 week or so lah...

I havent been going to Sep brides lately.. maybe will drop a note there sometime haaaa... but i think Rach is preggy too...! hee</font>

TubbyMummy- I think I saw the same stroller at Spring Vivo too... it's cool that can change direction the basinet is facing but the only think i find not so good is that when u face the baby to yourself, the wheels are in fact 2 in front and one behind, making manouvre quite tough?

ahnetsan, originally there is a $30k housing grant for 1st time buyers for resale flats. $10k more if near parent. and there is one more Addition housing grant if combined income <$4k the addition is 30k if combined income is <$1.5k. and less the nearer you hit 4k. for dbss, you will also get housing grant of 30k same as resales (cos so ex, i think).

11beans> i think im 19 or 20 wks. going for detailed scan at TMC next friday... mine is a prince... you?

wat's MS ar?

yeah rach is preggie too, jus one month plus ba...

did ur gynae tel u hw to control ur kg increase?

Cassey- yeah i think samonella is quite common if food is exposed right? So that would even go to hawker food like Chicken/ Duck rice that's left hanging out for the whole day isn't it?

sweethalo, haha. ya. must consistently read and keep up. i just came back from lunch then so many posts liao. really very siong. thanks for the tip. =p

Cassey, really! that's so good! haha. mine's a boy too! have u started thinking of names for your little one already? i am having big headache over this.

Jess Ma, have you told Dr Adrian you going KKH? cos i remember during one of my visit, got one lady she last min need to give birth liao, then insist on going KKH but dun have slots then very messy. so must plan in advance. all the best!

sweethalo, is it?? I didn't notice haha! I thought it is the seat that gets detached and turned around to face me, so the wheel orientation still stays the same. Hmmm, one of these days I'll go back and make sure, and try out all the different permutations properly. But it was easy to collapse, nice to push around, and I like the look of it.

Welcome Bing!

To mummies getting detailed scan tomorrow, good luck and have fun!
happy.gif

TubbyMummy, o u mean the one u saw is not where the handle is moved front and back as u prefer? I thought that's what I saw... I don't like it when it's move the other way especially for a 3 wheeler, it makes it quite awkward... Capella one is a 4 wheller so doesn't make a diff which way the handle goes

tubbymummy, thanks! any lobang/recommendations for light weight stroller? i tot of buying a new one but i am also inheriting a old one from my SIL.

sweethalo, exactly. Not as common as we think it is. Maybe if we're "ang moh" and come here, will kenah. Just like when we go to a less sanitary country, just about anything we eat can pose a problem. But those who have lived in that environment are perfectly fine. I've found that true for me. For MTBs who don't feel deprived, it's fine. But if we feel deprived but are paranoid abt these things, then I think perhaps read on huh?

excerpt:
WHEN my wife was pregnant with our son, her obstetrician gave her a list of food dos and don’ts. Chief among the don’ts: alcohol, unpasteurized cheeses and raw fish. Meanwhile, every French mother I know consumed alcohol and unpasteurized cheese in moderation during her pregnancy, and my friends in Japan laugh at the notion of avoiding sushi when they’re expecting.

Indeed, in Japan, eating raw fish is considered part of good neonatal nutrition. The Japanese government is fanatical about public health, and Japanese medical scientists are among the best in the world. You can be sure that, were there documented complications resulting from pregnant women eating sushi in Japan, there would be swift government intervention. Yet, in the United States, it is taboo for a pregnant woman to eat raw fish.

But this isn’t because scientific research has concluded that unborn children have been damaged by sushi. Rather, it’s because the speculative risk of food-borne illnesses, especially parasites, has captured the public imagination.

There are several reasons, however, that these fears are unfounded.

While Americans tend to associate raw fish with sushi and Japan, we have been eating raw seafood for centuries — namely, oysters and clams. And it is these raw mollusks, not the fish typically used in sushi, that are responsible for the overwhelming majority, about 85 percent, of seafood-related illnesses. As the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine concluded in a 1991 report on illness from eating seafood: “Most seafood-associated illness is reported from consumers of raw bivalve mollusks. ...The majority of incidents are due to consumption of shellfish from fecally polluted water.”

If you take raw and partly cooked shellfish out of the equation, the risk of falling ill from eating seafood is 1 in 2 million servings, the government calculated some years back; by comparison, the risk from eating chicken is 1 in 25,000. (Over all, 76 million cases of food poisoning are reported a year.)

for full article, pls click on: http://www.trevvy.com/sgboyx/index.php?act=ST&amp;f=40&amp;t=27254

ahnetsan- I think breast pump is used to continue demand when baby has been fed? For eg, when there is built up and u don't want engorgement... so u pump and store the extra?

Hey Cassey. thanks for the excerpt. yeah samonella is a big problem in the USA. When we were living there, we had to do things their way. For eg, we are not supposed to defrost our frozen meat like we do in Singapore, must use Microwave defrost mode else will also kena bacteria... Eggs left in the open will also kena samonella.

My American SIL freaked out when she visited my MIL in Singapore when she saw that our eggs were left around after marketing... she thinks we are sibeh dirty! (BLEAH)

bing,
we've named our little one about 1(boy)-3(girl) years ago. heehee.. We've confirmed a single choice of boy and girl English names since late last year and were just waiting to see which one would be used. =)

It's just that we're being a bit wierd abt it and not telling anyone. Skali my sister spy on me here also, then she will know and it's a closely guarded state "secret" at the moment. *chuckles* Suffice to say, it starts with a "J", sharing my hubby's English name initials. Chinese names are a brain-teaser. No ideas yet at the mo..

ahnetsan,
breastfeeding doesn't mean don't need pump neh. I intend to breastfeed but NOT exclusively cos I'd like hubby to share the experience so obviously have to express so he can bottle feed. Pumps are good for working mums and even for one intending to stay at home like me, surely I get to have my days out, right?!?! Then I must pump ma. Already bought pump. But only a single. I figure bb suck one side, I can pump the other if he's full already.

im actually not really into breastfeeding... cos i've seen and heard that our nipples get bigger if we breastfeed...
sad.gif
and dats smth i dun wan it to happen... i dun wan my boy to ruin my nipples size leh. hahaha. it may sound abit weirdo, but so far, up til nw, i stil cannot accept it leh.
sad.gif

i dun mind my hubby sucking to have the experience of it, but the tot of my boy sucking it?? hmmm, i dun quite like it, he cant control the strength...

and i tot using breast pump will not make the nipples bigger. is it true?

Baby sucking supposed to create bonding for mum and baby... don't worry, I think should be quite natural.

Also breastfeeding can help us slim down! Yeah! hehhee

Cassey, was just thinking, how fresh is the fish by the time we get it on our plate? I loved sashimi before getting pregnant, and I thought I would feel totally deprived if I don't eat it, but somehow, I'm not feeling that way, no particular craving for it whatsoever, so I've simply chosen to not eat anything raw. I would dare eat it if the fish were really fresh, but then, also remembered jap restaurants import the good stuff from Japan, so by the time they get here, and by the time they end up on our plate, is it really that fresh anymore? I don't know about this part (and have been too lazy to research on it haha), so I just skip it altogether now.

Thinking of taking a holiday in Feb, and seriously considering Japan. I guarantee, if I do go there, I'm gonna find myself a good and reputable restaurant and slurp up my sashimi!
happy.gif

ahnetsan, based on some feedback I've gathered from friends, here's what they say about breastfeeding:
a) feeding from breast will not be painful if it gets done right.
b) 2 friends tried to pump, and it hurt so much they gave up, but my sis used to pump, and no such feedback from her.
c) if latching baby on directly, saves a lot of hassle when bringing baby out, cos no need to bring milk bottles, water, formula powder etc., no need to have big diaper bag.
d) however, if you don't pump &amp; express BM, you can't leave baby to be cared for by another person if you need to run out for errands, or simply need a break from baby.
e) all mothers going back to work after maternity leave have to pump if they wanna continue feeding BM.

So I'm still wondering if total breastfeed is the way to go, but I'm gonna try and do that, but will also buy a pump for back up.

cassey, but other than bubbles milk tea i still drink other cold drink leh! my cousin oso told mi not to take too mnay cold drink i juz can't resit it leh!

im contemplating to cook up this excuse to my hubby.... cos i dun really wan to wrk after birth, i rather take care of bb myself than putting in my dirty and disgusting MIL's hands, i shall say i wan to full bf baby, and therefore i need to stay at hm... haha...but my hubby will surely say can always pump out and put in fridge wat.... hmm, den i shall say MIL dunno hw to warm the milk properly and keep it bacteria free... how how? does this sound workable???

ahnetsan, you very funny! You can tell hubby breastmilk is the best milk for baby, and drinking straight from breast is the best, cos no need to worry about temperature, bacteria contamination etc. Plus since you're not working, breastmilk will save you lotsa money, no need to buy so many bottles, steriliser, formula milk, cooler bag, breast pump etc etc. Or maybe you tell him you tried pumping and it hurts like crazy? Hehe... But make sure his income can support the whole family first hor, esp when baby comes along, there may be a lot of unforeseen expenses, like doctor etc.

my hubby wans me to bf baby... says best for baby... but skali i got no milk leh. hahahhahaha

anyway, i've been complaining on msn wif my fren abt my MIL... haiz... seems like jia jia you ben na nian de jin....
sad.gif
u see me good i see u good... in the end, everyone is not good....
sad.gif

ahnetsan - my friend gave birth 4 months ago. her baby sucks quite hard so slight pain. she also using breast pump to extract the milk. she strongly recommends medela pump in style. but it's too ex for me. i am planning to use my SIL's one. haha.

Ladies, just came about this... anyone interested?

Aqua Fitness In Pregnancy
Class Content:

Warm up
Flexibility stretches
Strengthening training of pelvic floor, back and abdominal muscles
Aqua-aerobic/ low impact workout
Cool down
Monitoring optimal exercise intensity

Starting : Saturday, 04 April 2009
Time: 1.00pm - 1.45 pm or 2.00 - 2.45 pm
Venue: Hydrotherapy pool, Rehabilitation Department, Basement 1, Children's Tower
Fee(includes GST):$111.30 for a total of 4 sessions

http://www.kkh.com.sg/SharedCMS/Templates/Singhealth%20Generic%20Template.aspx?NRMODE=Published&amp;NRORIGINALURL=%2fForPatientsnVisitors%2fClassesforWomenandParents%2f&amp;NRNODEGUID=%7b30C61E66-E542-4CD1-B28C-17AEE2A7EC98%7d&amp;NRCACHEHINT=Guest#2

bing- my friend who is using Medela recommends me to get Ameda... the staff at Mothercare says that Ameda is the same company as Medela, just a 2nd brand so much cheaper but same pump quality

sweethalo: really? i heard of Ameda too. They say it's good as well. but i dun have friends who tried it so didnt really know. other than Mothercare, is it sold anywhere else? i am planning to get a dual pump, if affordable.

aiyoh Cassey u're right, I just went out for lunch and I have so much to catch up here now.. good on you that you can choose to not to work.. so so so envy you right now le.. haha.. we'll get to see Cassey in her palace when we visit ur place (when ur hb not around of course..)
happy.gif
the leg cramp is horrible rite.. to wake up suddenly to oh-so-painful cramp in the leg.. can still feel a bit of it in the morning too..

amk_gal, you may try taking yakult daily, it kinda help with me, and have to eat very small portion.. eat less of the gassy food like cabbage and onion.. dun lie down after meals.. please take care okie..

Bing welcome!
happy.gif
omigosh.. we've got same gynae, and very close edd too.. mine initially 5th Jun, but last 2 times it's 3rd Jun, hope we dun give birth on the same day hor.. orelse dr Adrian would be very very busy...
happy.gif
I've been goin to the SKang clinic too.. very long queue rite, long wait, but once got in only a few mins..

JessMa, thanks.. I think bein pregnant I also become a bit more sensitive.. esp when the remarks is abt my baby.. whoa, I got all defensive inside.. but u're rite, it's our bb, I shd care least of what she or other ppl say..
happy.gif
my bb moves a lot too, protesting over the half kilo bak kwa I took
happy.gif
happy.gif
which hospital tour you're going tomorrow ? Share with us yea..? Re.: Leg Cramp: my mum told me that when leg cramp, not supposed to massage the leg, if we massage wrongly, may get clot..

jam75, u try cutting toe nails ah.. I haven't cut.. always wear open-toe sandals these days.. sometimes back I attemped putting on nail polish, which is more hilarious.. really cannot tummy n thunder thigh blocking me n my toes.. there n then I decided better go to have pedicured done lor..

toffeecat, good on you to get the citi view, that's a nice one, we didn't get it.. the Bishan one, as we went there to view, we dun like the location.. AHG is the additional 10K grant is it..? eh.. must be <5K ?? I didn't know got such conditions le.. haiz.. so complicated, either way dun think I can get it then..
sad.gif
so xian, thot govt so nice to add the grant by 10K.. I already thot the dbss scheme is very ridiculous liao, with private home pricing, yet the combine sal must be less than 8K.. I know what u mean.. we only got ballot number twice, once for Bishan, and the other one for JW, and both our numbers would be the last 5-10%.. for 30K grant, is it so complicated too ?

Dear Caramelle, Ling and Dovey,

stopping work is my choice. My family couldn't believe cos they don't think I can managed. My vice head also cannot imagine, he said I so workaholic, how can? My sister think I will go bonkers. But I strongly believe I can. We are not earning alot, enough to go past daily, so we prayed and decided. A big step cos I heard of post natal blues and depression. Will pray hard for sanity! Actually maternity only until Oct. Will let relative take care for 3 months, then apply no pay leave for a year.

Thanks to all for the info on numbness. But I remembered I didn't sleep on my hands, cos it happened a few times last night. Thanks Cassey for looking for the article. Appreciate.

Ahnetsan,

I am also going to TMC for my detailed scan next Fri. Hubby can't come cos his work cannot take leave kind. So I alone.
sad.gif
But will tell baby to be good. My cousin walked 3 times up and down also cannot check properly. Will heed advice and drink orange juice.

Having bad headache now. Still got a meeting with vice head now. Sian! Ok, I will chat again when I am home. See ya!

bing- yeah, my friend using the medela pump had a loan set from ameda and she says that the ameda pump was stronger. She also told me to get a dual pump as it is more efficient- don't waste so much time pumping ... hehe..

If u are getting from Mothercare, u need pre-order. But I think Robinsons and Isetan has them too... I hv not got them yet, waiting for sales
happy.gif

ling, thanks! wa. u also at SKang. hee. ya, super crowded. i make sure i am always early so that i dun have to wait too long. my friend says usually come +/- 2 weeks one. unless u induced buy my hubby dun like. so i am planning to work until bb is born. haha.

sweethalo, i am also waiting for sales. hee. my colleague say there may be baby fair in march. plus dunno my 'factory' can produce milk or not. if not buy liao waste money also. haha.

bing- must not doubt if we can produce or not.. my fren says if u think u can, it will flow, if u think cannot.. then nothing comes out
happy.gif
Her trick is to look at her daughter's foto while pumping

Back