(2009/02) February 2009 MTBs

hi liting,

it must be so hard for u having to go through the bad treatment from ur MIL.. have u tried speaking to ur husband about this? at least make her stop her remarks n let u have a peaceful mind. hope u will stay strong and positive and dont let those who want to put u down affect u. just think about ur bb and ur mummy!

Hi Mtbs,

I guess we have to be more tolerant of MILs so that our HBs will not be in a spot. As for me, my PILs are nice folks, i go to my MIL place for dinner once a week and last week, i didnt have much appetite and my PIL noticed that, so my FIL said in future if i have any cravings, just tell my MIL in advance so that she can cook for me....
Hehehe.. but i dun even know what i want to eat sometimes... but i know i cant eat rice because it will cause me indigestion and will make me puke.... So MIL has been cooking noodles for me...

I will be going for my 3rd scan tomorrow, i am 11weeks now.. Hope everything is good !
happy.gif
Looking forward to see my bb...

peachmomo
i got 4 wireless comfy bras for abt 90 bucks (on promotion) at perfect mum arcade raffles place. i m wearing them now as like u mentioned, it kind expand n our usual ones r real uncomfortable despite putting extension for my opinion.
me going c my gynae this fri (i changed lady one as i was very pissed off with my initial male one who shld hv prescribed me cough mixture rgt in begn) and ask if need to give me some other cough mixture as the one she gave me i finished whole bottle n not recovered fully yet. impatient me..
cant wait to me t scan despite real x as nuh chrages separately for consultant, scan n medication.

hi babygab, mine is the normal scan.

u should be able to see very clearly also coz bb bigger n more developed now. i saw my bb pouting his mouth!

liting: why ur MIL treat u like that!! ur hb know??

wow... the thread is moving fast. i'm gg for my oscar scan in the afternoon. keke.... finally can see bb after so long.

spicegirl
is your tummy hard? mine always very hard & bloated.

taztaz
i hate chicken essence. my mum forced me to drink a bottle during my #1 confinement. yucks. keke...

sandy
glad tat you & bb are ok. must rest well & take very good care. cheers

babyGab
if expecting boy, some can tell during 3 mth. for gal, usually will have to wait til detailed scan then can confirm. so hor, i dun wanna know the gender yet... hee....

Liting
if i'm not wrong, i think preggie cant eat ginseng. you better check with TCM.

i think it's better to do your confinement at your mum's place. you'll be in better care.

PeachMomo, u did ur oscar at TMC? The sonergrapher nvr tell me anyting de... so disappointed..

Hi gals, I done my oscar at TMC.. The whole process takes 1 hr.. Basically will go into the ultrasound room, there will be a sonergrapher who will scan the baby.. Make sure go in with full bladder.. She scanned for around 10-15 mins, to measure the crown rump length and the neck.. But she nvr showed me anything for the whole 10-15 mins until she is done.. After she finished her measurements, then showed me the baby's head, arms n legs.. Tried to ask her for more details, she said everything will be sent to my gynae.. Sianz.. I think they are not supposed to tell patients so many things bah.. After that, I proceed for blood tests.. I took 3 test tubes only.. Then I go off liao.. Results would be out today's evening.. But since I am going to my gynae next week, next week then ask her.. I saw the CR Length she input in computer is 5cm, the NT is 1.0cm.. Screen abit small, duno got peep wrongly or not..Really nothing much else...

Liting, my MIL also brewed birdnest, fishbone soup for me.. But i cant appreciate cos taste bud change.. Just gobble all down and hope I dont vomit after that.. I dont live with her, but she will ask my FIL to deliver to my house cos his factory near my house.. or when I go back for dinner, she will specially brew for me.. Liting, try to go back to your mum's house for meals or dabao from outside.. U live with your MIL?? How are you doing, your stomach still pain?

Mudpie, yes.. pregnant cant eat ginseng, my gynae said got research on ginseng no good.. Forgot why no good..

hi ladies
i have migrated from march thread to this since my EDD is shifted to 22 of feb.

nice to meet you all. I am currently with Dr WH Kee from TMC, seeing him at his Jurong point clinic. This is my second child.

hi roxanne,

dont be sianz. . everything will be fine. if ur sonographer is a technician rather than a doc, she probably isnt confident enough to interpret the findings and maybe they r only responsible for imaging, so not allowed to discuss what they see; what if they interpret differently from ur gynae then will give wrong impressions. dont worry, im sure ur baby will be healthy as u r still young!

Welcome Jo.. today thread abit quiet, think everyone not free.. or maybe suffer from MS.. hehe.. btw, got 2 Jo here, how to differentiate..

<table border=1><tr><td>S/N</TD><TD>Mummy</TD><TD>Zone</TD><TD>Gynae</TD><TD>Hospital</TD><TD>Baby #</TD><TD>Baby's Gender</TD><TD>EDD </TD></TR><TR><TD>1</TD><TD>Ginn</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>1-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>2</TD><TD>Roxanne</TD><TD>Sembawang</TD><TD>Dr Caroline Khi</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>4-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>3</TD><TD>Angel</TD><TD>Bukit Panjang</TD><TD></TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>2</TD><TD></TD><TD>4-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>4</TD><TD>Baobao</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Ho HK</TD><TD>MountA</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>5-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>5</TD><TD>jo (chinchalok) </TD><TD>SengKang</TD><TD>Dr YC Goh</TD><TD>MountA</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>5-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>6</TD><TD>Liting</TD><TD>Woodlands</TD><TD>Dr Ang</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>5-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>7</TD><TD>Mudpie_cp</TD><TD>SengKang</TD><TD>Dr Yeap Min Li</TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>6-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>8</TD><TD>taztaz</TD><TD>Jurong</TD><TD>Dr Adrian (CCK)</TD><TD>Mount A</TD><TD>1</TD><TD><font color="ff0000">Boy</font></TD><TD>6-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>9</TD><TD>Babywiz</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr Adrian (SengKang)</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>7-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>10</TD><TD>Sandy</TD><TD>Philippines</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Manila Doctor Hosp</TD><TD>1</TD><TD><font color="ff0000">Boy</font></TD><TD>9-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>11</TD><TD>PeachMomo</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>TC Chang</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>10-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>12</TD><TD>DD</TD><TD>Bukit Panjang</TD><TD>Dr Tham Kok Fun</TD><TD>GlenE</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>10-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>13</TD><TD>Saro</TD><TD>Queenstown</TD><TD>Dr Tham Kok Fun</TD><TD>GlenE</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>11-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>14</TD><TD>Peggy</TD><TD>Bukit Purmei</TD><TD>Dr Lim W Y</TD><TD>Mount A</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>11-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>15</TD><TD>Gerrydin</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr Henry Cheng</TD><TD>Mount A</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>13-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>16</TD><TD>AG</TD><TD>Pasir Ris</TD><TD>Dr Lisa Chin</TD><TD>GlenE</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>13-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>17</TD><TD>BabyOx</TD><TD></TD><TD>Dr John Tee</TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>13-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>18</TD><TD>pinksunnysummer</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>14-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>19</TD><TD>Wedtobe</TD><TD>Bukit Batok</TD><TD>Dr YC Wong</TD><TD>NUH</TD><TD>1</TD><TD></TD><TD>14-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>20</TD><TD><font color="aa00aa">Mich (Twins)</font></TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr Gordon Lim</TD><TD>GlenE</TD><TD>2 &amp; 3</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>14-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>21</TD><TD>Blueb</TD><TD></TD><TD>Dr Paul Tseng</TD><TD>Mount A</TD><TD>1</TD><TD></TD><TD>14-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>22</TD><TD>QiqiT</TD><TD></TD><TD>Dr Lim</TD><TD>Mount E</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>15-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>23</TD><TD>Tarynn</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr HK</TD><TD>Mount A</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>16-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>24</TD><TD><font color="aa00aa">Nicole G (Twins)</font></TD><TD>Sembawang</TD><TD>Dr Yu</TD><TD>SGH</TD><TD>1 &amp; 2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>16-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>25</TD><TD>Babythad</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr Yvonne Chan</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>18-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>26</TD><TD>BBYang</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr Michele Lee</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>1</TD><TD></TD><TD>20-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>27</TD><TD>Mibebe (Candy)</TD><TD>Simei</TD><TD>Dr Esther Ng</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>21-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>28</TD><TD>Spicegal</TD><TD>Jurong East</TD><TD>Dr Lawrence Ang</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>21-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>29</TD><TD>BabyGab</TD><TD>Clementi</TD><TD>Dr Peter Chew</TD><TD>GlenE</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>21-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>30</TD><TD>Grace Chua</TD><TD>Bedok North Ave 4</TD><TD>Dr Joycelyn Wong</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>21-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>31</TD><TD>Jo (heavenlymade)</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr Wh Kee</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>22-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>32</TD><TD>Lili</TD><TD>Jurong West</TD><TD>Dr Paul Tseng</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>23-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>33</TD><TD>MamaFio</TD><TD>Sengkang</TD><TD>Dr Adrian (SengKang)</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>1</TD><TD></TD><TD>23-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>34</TD><TD>PiggyMoussey</TD><TD>Sembawang</TD><TD>Dr Kowa Nam Sing </TD><TD>MountE</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>23-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>35</TD><TD>Ling</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr John Tee</TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>23-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>36</TD><TD><font color="aa00aa">Butter (Twins)</font></TD><TD>USA</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>1 &amp; 2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>25-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>37</TD><TD>DJ Mama</TD><TD>Toa Payoh</TD><TD>Dr AL Lim</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>26-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>38</TD><TD>Jane</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>1</TD><TD></TD><TD>27-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>39</TD><TD>Jas (lizardesss)</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Dr Ann Tan</TD><TD>MountE</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>27-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>40</TD><TD>Imushroom23</TD><TD>Changi</TD><TD>Dr Fong Yang</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>1</TD><TD></TD><TD>27-Feb-09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>41</TD><TD><font color="aa00aa">Eipsy (Twins)</font></TD><TD>Bedok </TD><TD>Dr Joycelyn Wong</TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>2 &amp; 3</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>End Feb </TD></TR><TR><TD>42</TD><TD>Serene(worried girl)</TD><TD>Pasir Ris</TD><TD>Dr Judy Wong</TD><TD>Mount A</TD><TD>1</TD><TD></TD><TD>End Feb </TD></TR><TR><TD>43</TD><TD>Ppbbxhz</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Mid Feb </TD></TR><TR><TD></td></tr></table>

Yah, her nametag put senior sonographer I think, not a Dr.. I was still hoping to see if can tell my baby's gender.. My husband saw the baby jumping, kicking and all movements.. All I saw was the sideview, no movements.. Feel that I nvr see enough today...

hi roxanne
yea i dont know how to differentiate too. Actually i got another account which i used 4 yrs ago, but lost the password... so have to create this new one.

btw, are u still having MS? I hope it will go off soon. Hated the nausea feeling.
My first kid, i vomitted alot. This second one, just feeling nausea the whole day.

taztaz and sandy
so fast can find out gender already. i cant wait to know too.
I used to have a japanese friend who was pregnant , they quite high tech there, can find out gender in the first month.

sandy: congrats! must be excited! now can shop for bb stuff already. u feeling better now?
happy.gif

jo: actually its the guessing of gender n waiting that's keeping us on edge. now at least can start shopping for bb stuff. Kiasu hor.

i waiting for robinson sale to get stroller hehe.

hello!

QiQiT - but i am not on iron pills! haha..

taztaz - ya.. i love oranges too but i've heard that too much of it will cuase phelgm and hubby now is making sure i can only have 1 daily.. i used to have 2 daily.. haha.. yummy.. it smells so fresh and rejuventating!!!

Liting - my body belong to the 'liang' side so i can eat all the heaty stuff!!! chix of essence is ok.. never caused me any problems.. but the eu yan seng's 'bai fong wan' is really power, i can only eat that for 3 days apart.. that's really nourishing aka heaty..

i used to like my MIL's cooking as well but now i totally dislike it.. but she's still cooking the same things.. i get evening sickness so i would just pretend that i've eaten before and then not have dinner.. i think it's just never easy to stay with in-laws.. and of course, our own mummy is the best..

sandy.. take care yeah?? shared your story with my hubby and he asked me to send my regards to you as well..

hi grace: can we still take bai fong wan while pregnant? if can, i go buy. is it good? u notice any difference after taking?

taztaz..
i've tons of bai fong wan lor.. heard that cannot eat liao.. so all of it now is sitting on the table..
it's very good for us.. it gives you great skin and health as well.. i take it everyday before preggies..
i bought them from eu yan seng..

hi gals, what other tonic should we take now that we're approaching 2nd tri? im thinking of taking fish oil? u all eat what 'bu'?
happy.gif

taztaz, i start taking fish oil the moment i know i preg cos my gynae say is good for baby brain u should start eating now. u can try the NeuroGainPB is for preg women so is very save.

Hi Roxanne,
Please update my Zone-Sengkang. Thanks

Btw, you have just done the OSCAR this morning?? My appt is tomorrow afternoon. You sounds very disappointed with the whole process, do u regret doing it?? Actually i m not very keen in doing it as it is very costly, but HB insisted.. well...

how much did they charge you??

i will be doing it at TMC also..

Hi mummies,

Cant take Ginseng?? but i was told to boil 冬虫草 with Ginseng leh.. once a week.

i have not started taking it but just bought the stuff last weekend.

i've visited a gynae whom told me cannot drink ginseng at all.. but i never drink this stuff so it's ok for me.. dont like the smell.. yuckies...
actually heard from my mummy that cannot take chinese herbs now so i just stick to popping pills that gynae gives..

mich: thks! i'm gonna buy fish oil from my gynae then.
how much is urs?
My gynae one is natalcare plus i think, $30 for 30tab.

u r having twins! very gd hor so envious.
happy.gif
can pregnant 1 time &amp; get 2! hehe.

taztaz, i think mine is $32 for 30tab. hahaha good &amp; bad lor. good is 1 time get 2. bad is everything also x 2 like the fish oil is additional 1 so everytime i have to buy 2 bottles hahah.

Grace, i agreed with u for 1st tri cannot eat bu only 2nd tri onwards then can

Taztaz, like Roxanne, I'm also drinking brewed Dong Cong Cao soup abt once a week.... But very ex... Heart-pain to buy these tonics.. but no choice.. need to "bu"... TMC says cong cao helps in a lot of areas, and babies borned will be bigger and stronger.. Dunno how true..

mich tss.. my MIL also said that first 3 months, you eat you 'bu', and then 4th onwards, all bb eat... i read somewhere that the bb is 'eating' from the sac and thus has no link to mummy as yet.. but i just feel weird on why we start feeling to eat more during the first trimster.. and well, it also makes sense that it's not worrying for us to lose weight while it's in our first trimster as we go through the morning sickness thingy.. aint mother nature cool? she knows that we are going through hell so she makes the bb dependent on itself first..
=)

QiQiT.. i've also heard that durian can be a very good source to 'bu' the bb as well.. sounds weird right? but my hubby's friends are all telling me to eat durians as all of them did..

dong cong cao taste like what ah?? bitter? sweet? weird or funny taste not? how ex is it?

grace, ya my MIL also say tat, tats why 1st 3month no need to eat bu 1. eat more during 1st tri so tat when the MS strike the baby still got reserve food ma hahahaha. Ya alot ppl say durian is bu but too much will make ur baby very big also so if u intend to go for c-section then u can eat alot nvr mind if not moderate ok liao.

taztaz
which stroller u plan to get? i read from the other thread that cap something s705 is good.

i currently have one for my older son, but abit dirty looking already, and not suitable for newborn.

mish
u know for my first kid, i was given folic, fish oil, iron and calcium pill by gynae , but for this second one only given folic and iron pills.
dont know why also.. my gynae says can dont drink milk also, just make sure baby is healthy and not too big.

QiQiT: Dongcong very exp!! like $100+ for 1 liang!
but guess if its good all mummies will spend lor.. MTB all so 'wei da'.
happy.gif

Grace: i heard the durian thing also. my mom also say very bu. eat already bb come out very big n strong. if u read other threads, those mtb who eat alot of durians bb all 3.5kg above wor.

now durian season some more, later go buy kekeke

Baobao,

I also bought Pao Shen (wild ginseng kind) together with Dong Cong Cao from Eu Yan Sang.. The lady I bought from told me that cong cao brew with pao shen is better to "bu qi" (energise)... But then when I pop by another Eu Yan Sang outlet, the other lady told me that better don't take with Pao Shen cos some preggy women's health cannot take it... Aii.. so now, to be on safe side, I'm just taking cong cao..

jo: ya i read also. i tried out some strollers at taka sale two weeks ago.
Combi &amp; mclauren abt $300. i also heard graco very gd.

my hb very shocked when i say some strollers cost $1k plus (he didnt go taka with me), he dun believe! ;p

hi mummies,

there r older folks who told me cannot bu during first three mths because bb is forming; the neural tube, and other major organs. must wait till abt 4 mths then can bu but cannot be too strong bu. i read from a china tcm paper before that first trimester should be neutral diet: not too heaty and not too cooling. gingseng is also found to have some enzymes that might not be safe for bb but im not sure about the exact details. actually, when i was around 5 wks pregnant, my mom was making me some herbal soup. then during the same wk, i saw my patient (i assess children with mental retardation) for IQ test and she has global developmental delay and mental retardation. the mum was in her early 20s and so child isnt DS. i found out that the child's mum took chinese herbal stuff during her first trimester. after knowing, i was freaking out and insist not taking any herbal stuff that my mum made. i dun know if this is applicable to us but i just thought of sharing.

Hehe seems like most of the mummies appetite is getting good starting to talk about food.

My MS still lingering around, not much appetite i think of having durian but yesterday i pass by a durian stall i felt like puking no craving MS playing tricks.

hi baobao,
I read from some magazines that ginseng could damage maturing fetus especially for the first 3 months. I think you may want to check with your gynae first before you start taking it.

I read that you gals are taking so many vitamins now..my gynae has not given me anything to-date yet except for folic acid..she said that it's too early now and will start giving it to me on my 2nd trimester.

Grace and Taztaz... Yah, cong cao is super super ex... Taztaz, you missed out 1 zero.. It's $1000+ to $2000+ for 1 liang for the tibet kind of cong cao... There is the Qinghai kind of cong cao, which is good too, but cheaper... $500-$800 per liang.. 1 person drink, 2 persons get the benefit, that what the Eu Yan Sang person says... Heart-pain also buy...

Grace, the taste of cong cao is hard to describe, cos mixed with chicken, it becomes like chicken soup, although the taste with cong cao is more fragrant... not bitter nor sweet..

Regarding durian.. that's another way to "bu" too... But I dun like to eat durian.. so that's out...

Hi Sandy and AG... that sounds scary.. tks for the info..

Mummies, maybe some of you can check with your gynae what on can be taken and what cannot.. Different gynae say different things... Let's share what we know! I checked with my gynae on cong cao, which he says ok to take in moderate amt.. But I never ask abt ginseng, so not sure...

Hi AG,

Thanks for your info. Will check it out from my Gynae on my next visit, maybe i will just boil cong cao with reddates without the Ginseng.

Me too only taking Folic Acid. Was also told is too early to take others except FA.

I m now in my 11W7D. One more week to 2nd Trimester....

talking about durians make me abit scare of natal diabetes.

i have eaten few times of durians and now indulging in longans. before durians, lychee. Yummy

but all sweet leh.... abit scare and moreover i hate drinking plain water.

as for tonics, i told my hubby i only want to eat it at second trimester.. first month most things make me puke.

QiQiT: LOL so exp! Eh i think i stick to chix essence. :p

My gynae hor very liberal, he says anything also can eat except pinapple n alcohol but eat in moderation lor. Sashimi also can wor.

Jo: i also hate drinking plain water, now i try to drink warm water instead. water at room temperature not hot not cold is the worst!

Jo, my MS came back yesterday for 1 day only, but these few days I am ok liao.. Hee, just that appetite not very good yet, eat 1/2 bowl of rice full liao, duno issit long time nvr eat well, stomach shrink..

Baobao, i dont regret taking the oscar scan.. I just thought that my sonergrapher can share with me abit more information, such as bb's gender.. Haha.. I paid around $400 today, including 20th week detailed scan (already after 10% FBI discount)..

Grace, yah.. baby absorb from us when the yolk is finished, that is when it is after 1st 3 mths.. I think the body still need nutrients, healthy body develops healthy baby..

My MIL told me congcao's prices increased liao, cost 1kplus for 1 liang. If put red dates inside, it takes nice.. Feels like drinking the longan soup with no sugar..

Gals, try to cut down on durians and other sweet fruits n food, it is no joke getting gestational diabetes...

Some articles on Ginseng and pregnancy

Can I Take Ginseng During Pregnancy?
One of the active components of ginseng (known as ginsenoside Rb1) has been shown to cause changes in rat embryos that indicate it could cause birth defects. At this time, it is not known whether ginseng also causes similar effects in human embryos. At this time, it is usually recommended that pregnant women avoid ginseng, especially during the first trimester.

Many women try to avoid medications during pregnancy and turn to herbal remedies as an alternative, assuming that "natural" automatically means "safe." However, natural products can be quite toxic. For instance, many poisons and toxins are natural products. It just does not make sense to use an herbal supplement for which there is no information available about safety during pregnancy.

Ginseng remedy pregnancy warning
Women should be cautious about using the herbal remedy ginseng in the early stages of pregnancy, say researchers.

A team from the Chinese University of Hong Kong has found evidence that one of the main active components of ginseng can cause abnormalities in rat embryos.

Lead researcher Dr Louis Chan said: 'Before more information in humans becomes available, women should be cautious about using ginseng in the first three months of pregnancy.'

The study is published in the journal Human Reproduction.

The researchers tested the effect of various concentrations of a compound called ginsenoside Rb1 on nine-day-old rats.

They found that embryos exposed to more than 30 micrograms per millilitre of ginsenoside Rb1 showed signs of significant developmental abnormalities, including problems with their heart, eyes and limbs.

At the highest dose of 50 micrograms the problems were even more pronounced. The embryos were significantly shorter in body length and had fewer immature muscle cells.

Dr Chan said the study provided strong evidence that ginsenoside was capable of causing malformations in rat embryos - known technically as a teratogenic effect.

It was also possible that lower doses of compound led to more minor developmental problems which would not always be picked up.

Relatively untested

He said: 'Although there are numerous reports in the literature concerning the potential benefit of ginseng, much less is know about the potential toxicity and there are no data about its potential effect on the developing human foetus.

'Yet a survey published in 2001 showed that over 9% of pregnant women report using herbal supplements, and in Asia up to 10% have taken ginseng during pregnancy.'

Dr Chan said that in many countries herbal medicines such as extract of ginseng are available over the counter. Manufacturers are not required to submit proof of safety and efficacy before marketing.

Ginsenoside Rb1 is only one of the ginsenosides in commercially available ginseng.

More than 20 have been identified and previous studies had shown that different ginsenosides might have different actions.

Dr Chan said: 'Although results from animal teratogenicity studies may not reflect the circumstances in humans, our findings suggest that further investigations and monitoring of embryonic effects of ginsenoside on human pregnancy are warranted.'

Ginseng is used to enhance stamina and the capacity to cope with fatigue and physical stress.

It is also believed to have an anti-cancer function and to improve cognitive and physical performance, and has shown potential as a treatment for diabetes and obesity.

Some people also recommend it as a treatment for morning sickness.

Dr Chun-Su Yuan, from the University of Chicago, has conducted experiments showing that an extract of ginseng can normalise blood sugar levels in mice bred to have diabetes.

He told BBC News Online: 'In general, I think that ginseng, like all other herbal medicines and dietary supplements, has both benefits and potential risks.

'Very likely, the risks could be dose related. The mentality that 'little is good, more is better' could encourage consumers to take a high dose of herbs in an environment with limited dosing guidelines.

'It is very import to address potential risks of any commonly used herbal medicines. However, to translate data from this in vitro animal study to human reproduction, many well-designed studies are needed.'

i found this from the website

The following is a list of herbs that may be harmful to developing fetuses or may cause other reactions, such as contractions or bleeding. These herbs should NOT to be used during pregnancy: Angelica, Anise, Anise Star, Arnica, Ashwaganda, Asian Ginseng, Barberry, Bitter Melon, Black Cohosh or Blue Cohosh (except during last six weeks of pregnancy), Cotton Root, Blessed Thistle, Blood Root, Blue Cohosh, Blue Vervain, Borage, California Poppy, Camphor, Catnip, Castor oil, Celandine, Chaparral, Cinnamon, Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Crampbark, Devil's Club, Dong Quai, Echinacea, Elecampane, Ephedra, False Unicorn, Fenugreek, Feverfew, Gentian, Gingko, Ginger, Golden Seal, Gravel, Guarana, Honeysuckle, Horehound, Horsetail, Hyssop, Juniper, Lemongrass, Licorice, Lobelia, Lovage, Mistletoe, Motherwort, Mugwort, Myrrh, Oregon Grape, Osha, Parsley, Pennyroyal, Pleurisy, Poke, Prickly Ash, Red Clover, Rosemary, Rue, Sage, Sassafras, Sarsaparilla, Saw Palmetto, Shepherds Purse, Spikenard, St. John's Wort, Tansy, Thuja, Thyme, Turkey Rhubarb, Turmeric, Uva Ursi, Vitex (Chaste Tree), White Sage, Wormwood, Yarrow and Yucca.

My gynae told me some gynaes dont prescribe fish oil becos the patients are experiencing MS, cant stand the fishy smell when burp and will vomit.. If u can stand the smell, no harm taking..Esp when brain is forming now..

I experienced vomitting fish oil before, it really smell sux and vomit one time, the other things will come out subsquently, no time to breathe.. cos too smelly liao, induce vomitting.. try to eat before you sleep..

anyone been taking wolfberry? the red stuff supposed to be good for eyes.
my MIL has been adding that into my soup.
should be ok rite??

jas: i took wolfberry. i think should be ok bah i only ate once in a while.

mibebe: i also ate sashimi n sushi.
happy.gif

i'll give in to my cravings unless the food is really unhealthy.

my gf that time pregnant, crave for a lot of things like durian, fried kway teow, chix rice but she all dun eat thinking its not good for bb.
now her child 2 yrs plus still drooling. her mother also say if we have cravings but insist dun eat, next time bb big already still will drool.

my SIL gave in to all her cravings, bb doesnt drool at all, 5 mths old liao.

Hey Taztaz.. Sashimi is supposed to be a no-no... anything raw has risks of food contamination and bacteria.. You are naughty
happy.gif

Mibebe, salmon skin (fried) should be ok bah...

taztaz, i will be very happy to give in to my cravings!!! hehehe!!!
happy.gif

also, just want to share that in my scan last week, we saw baby moving his hands and feet...very active!
happy.gif

Back