(2008/11) November 2008

Hi Mummies

I'm November 08 & 1st time mum. My baby girl is 7+ weeks. She is on FM - Similac, drinks 80ml at 3 hourly. Is it too little? From the thread, notice that some of the mummy feeding at least 100ml or 120 ml at 6-7 weeks old.

My girl also do not have a sleeping routine. During the day, She usually doze off during feeding, after she finishes her milk (sure got left over abt 10-20 ml..haiz..), I will put her to bed or yaolan, most of the time less than 30 mins she wakes up and start fussing uncontrollable..no matter what I try. What can I do ..I really very tired : (

Re: BB slp thru' the nite:
I feed my girl 3 hourly in routine and do not establish last feed ie. 10 or 11 pm like some of the mummy did in this thread. However,sometime she dun drink, so I wake up another 1-2 hour later to try again, and she'll drink.

During the nite, do you normally wait till bb's wake up then feed her? I'm afraid she'll be hungry if I don't feed her.

BTW - any mummies experience that BB at nite will make some "noise" while sleeping?

Blocked ducts:
Mummies, i have several lumps in my breasts and just a little pain when pressed. I didn't consult LC before. Is that considered blocked ducts?

<font color="119911">TGIF Nov Mummies and have a nice weekend ahead!
happy.gif
</font>

<font color="0000ff">Kash</font>
Most welcome
happy.gif
Last wkend, I didn't manage to bring my #1 and bb to Harbourfront cos I caught flu. Oh, I intend to bring #1 to watch his bb's brother do his 1st swim at Hwa Xia.

<font color="0000ff">Fifi</font>
Thanks for sharing your detailed pump schedule at work. I think I will not be able to pump as frequently as U at work. Is Alyssa swimming daily?

<font color="0000ff">Joyce</font>
U can also try to ask whether Breastfeeding Mothers' Support Group Singapore (BMSG)whether they accept donations of frozen EBM.
http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/home/index.php

<font color="0000ff">Olwen</font>
So happy to see that Luke has progressed well. Look forward to seeing the rest of yr bbs during CNY.

<font color="0000ff">Blocked Ducts</font>
Blocked ducts area do feel lumpy usually.
These pages from kellymom.com is very informative, do check it out.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/recurrent-mastitis.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Can also try to latch your bb with the bb's nose/chin pointing towards to blocked ducts area, but the key is to continue nursing bb frequently, massaging will help too.

<font color="0000ff">baby_joi</font>
80ml is not too little if your bb gal is small size or a small eater. But best to consult your PD.
I never wake my bb up at night cos he will wake up on his own to drink, usually once at around 5am. His last breastfeed is usually at 11pm.
Some noises by bb at night is normal, especially for breastfed bbs.

<font color="0000ff">dreamyjo</font>
I'm thinking of getting a maid to help with my housework, maybe I can get yours ha when do U need her till? Not sure still, gotto discuss with my hubby. Wow, bb Kayden has grown well too
happy.gif
Can I visit U during CNY?

halo ladies !! is fri day
happy.gif

Breastmilk Bag - Wan to chk with those wrking mum. Im using abt 6 breastmilk bag per day. is there any other cost saving method to keep the EBM ? Cos the storage bag is ex
sad.gif

olwen
Glad to see that Luke is doing well.

featherg,
My boy is 2.38kg when he's borned but he's 4.2kg @ 8wks when I brought him to the PD. PD says he's average weight for his age. Dun worry. He's drinking about 90ml per feed that time and drinks abt 6-8 times a day.

bluebear,
I will be bringing my son for his 1st trial swim @ Hwa Xia this afternoon. See if he enjoys, then I decide if he needs more lessons.
happy.gif

Hi Liv,
wow, you can pump 200ml? That is really good! like you said, can relax aft that liao.hahah..

my baby was only 4.2kg at her jab at her 6 weeks. hope she has put on much more weight and taking more milk.

hello mummies, need some advice.

last nite my baby woke at 2am to feed and was saitsfied and fell asleep till 5am. I latched her the other side and she fell asleep satisfied again. Tried to wake her but she was quite soundly asleep so decided to pump since the first side was feeling lumpy and getting painful. unfortunately right after i finished sterilising my pump, she woke up and fussed for more and i didnt hv eunf for her to latch after the pump
sad.gif
she suckled for awhile and struggled and cried.

any mummies had this prob before? would you pump or just wait for baby to wake?

fifi, bear,
tnks for advise. But the lump seems improved, will monitor these 2 days, if pain continue, then will make appt to see LC. Ya, the hardest to clear is those under armpit area. So far, this is my 2nd time kenal that side already, but has self cleared.. Aii, really so tiring for breastfeeding..

babyzel,
you continue to latch on and massage that area, else it will become more painful when it is not cleared.

Bluebear,
tnks for ur info. Looks like most of them dont accept cause they dunno the health info on the donator.. so maybe will just pour away some.. so wasted.. but no choice
happy.gif

Spin,
u may want to buy Playtex milk bag, think 150pcs only cost $10+?

happywifey,
in this case, then u faster warm those ebm and feed her. Or u don't put your ebm to fridge so fast, so that when she awake, u can directly feed her ebm. EBM can keep in room temp for up to 4 hours.

Bear, Fifi,
Thanks for the advice
happy.gif
I saw the lc and am feeling much better. Have tried latching on my baby again even though i was terrified of the pain, but it's not that bad anymore. But i think this blister thing can be recurring...any idea how to prevent it?

Spin,
There are several sprees going on for Playtex milkbags right now. I think these are one of the cheapest milk bags around but they don't come with clips or 'zips' to lock the milk in.

Babyjol,
I think i am experiencing the same problem like yours. My baby is drinking 150ml every 4 hourly at week 8 presently. However, he still having problem sleeping well and silently at night and keep making noise (eyes was shut) and keep skretching himself, if nobody tap on him on time, he will make louder noise like afraid of something. He also like to use his hand to "sweep" his face like as though there is something irritating his eyes or nose. I am very troubled by this....

Do mummies here believe that if baby pass motion contains "GREEN" colour mean they are frighten?

fifi: ok thanks.

kash: My Phil maid also no initiative, i tell her to do something she does it once and never again so everytime have to repeat, and she eats 3 PLATES of rice, if eat instant noodle Minimum 2 packets! And she eats my bread (one loaf) does not last more than 1 day. I wondered my maid agency recommended me a buffalo or a maid.

My Indo maid is skinny and eats less and is less greedy. ALso has more inititive, will always ask you m'am do u want me to do this and that...? So when I compare the both of them, i wanna send me Phil one back..and change another one.

my advise: If your looking to change maids, never pick a maid who is big sized, they come ehre eat like there's no tomorrow...pick slim ones. They work more efficiently.

RE: ANG POW FOR MAID
How much r u mummies giving your maid for CNY?

Joyce,
WAIT!!! I think I read somewhere in december or Jan 09 thread that someone is seeking donatioon of ebm cos they have just adopted a bb. Want to feed bb on ebm.

I try to trace back and let you know.

Jynnsan,
Nope. green colour poo does not mean they have been frightened or starlted. If you are giving your bb breastmilk, regardless of direct nursing or ebm, it could either be you have take in too much veggie and passed through breastmilk to bb or there is too much foremilk given. If it is the case of too much foremilk, try to give more hindmilk will correct/ reduce the poo colour.

jynnsan,
green poo poo. may not be get startled. some bb on BM still pass green poo poo like my boy leh.. fi bb normally poo yellow color den suddenly green color.. den i guess tis is kanna scared symptom bah..all u mentioned like the making noise while slping, skretching, sweep his face are oso in my boy category. i tink it's normal leh..

my boy stilling drinking 100ml 3hrly wor.. not sure if it's too little for him.. Currently he is 9+ week old..

today i realise there a red dot on my nipple.. not sure izzit blister.. hopefully i wont kanna block ducts!

Carol:
Better go by weight gain instead of amt of milk. Average 20-35g per day. Its average de coz some days dun gain, some days gain more.

Bear:
Np. Told ya she's good. Last time before I deliver, I was shopping at Moms in mind. The lady there also told me this LC is very good. She say I deliver at KK and got this LC there, sure can successfully breastfeed de.

Re: Feeding amt
Have been giving baby 100ml each feed when bottle fed (EBM). About 3 hourly now. She does not cry for more after each feed so its fine. He average weight gain over last 2 weeks is about 20+g per day so its fine. She's a gal so dowan her to be too fat too.

baby_joi:
Yes, BF babies does make noises when they sleep. This is as adviced by my LC. So I'm sure its ok. As long as there is no other factor causing the noise lah (like chocking, etc).

Babyzel:
Yes. That is blocked ducts.

Bluebear:
No not everyday. Cannot afford the water bills if its everyday lor. Mostly is once or twice on weekends.

Re: Sleeping thru night
I'm still trying to help my BB sleep thru the night at the correct hours. 1 day ok, next day not like that. Slowly hope that she can get it soon. I give the last feed at 11pm and hope she drink more. Last 2 days she can go till 4am &amp; 5am for next feed.

Spin:
I am pumping into bottles and using this EBM for next day's feed. Only the excess which I pump at home then I freeze in milkbags. This way, use less milkbags and also my BB will get fresh EBM with the antibodies. Freezing destroys these antibodies. To ensure I have enuff bottles for the next day, I will transfer into 2 tall glass bottles at home. I am waiting to get my Playtex bags and will use those coz its the cheapest BPA free ones le.

Happywifey:
I will pump. Else later blocked hor... both mother and baby suffer. At most give EBM mah. But BB can usually still get some after u pump coz they are very efficient.

WaterBaby:
I am having blister too. Prevent baby from making those "tiap tiap" sounds if BB is doing that now. Also ensure that baby dun keep using tongue to stop flow on nipple. When pumping, make sure nipple dun keep hitting sides of the funnel coz abrasion oso can cause this. Must vary latching method (cradle/football/etc) so that all areas of breasts are drained properly.

mummies,

my boy has a lot of red small rashes on his bottom. He has been wearing drypers all along. Anyone knows how to clear away the rashes?

poohbeary, my baby has rashes on her face. i use physiogel (i got it from my PD, maybe can buy from pharmacy) on her and it works very well.. maybe u can try..

Snowny &amp; Alibaba,
Thanks for sharing.
Baby is currently on FM, hmm, got to monitor his changes closely.

CC
I plan to give a $18 as CNY Ang pow for my maid

cc,

oh dear, ur phil maid sounds really like an ox leh... can eat so much??? my maid is also very big size... even my neighbour commented my maid doesn't look intelligent... she is juz stupid loh... i scold her she nvr apologise...gave me blank look.
sad.gif
As i am very upset with her performance, i may juz give her $10. If she upsets me even more, i think i will juz give $8. The other day i bought 1 big tin of love letters thinking to give her...now i passed it to my mum instead since she pissed me off so much. I was soooo angry with her yday that I was carrying my daughter and complaining to my mum all the way to the carpark. I nearly placed my toddler daughter into the baby's carseat by mistake...see, she made me blur... milk ss also like dropped these few days coz very pissed off with the maid. I will nvr let her handle my kids.

Bear

my agency charges $300 for replacement! I called them and they told me for my case, i juz need to pay $100 which is for the new maid medical etc... but i told agency to have a talk to my maid next week to ask her to buck up. Actually i very sian to change too... must train again. Howevr if i keep this, i will nvr let her touch my kids.. she is juz not intelligent and really blur... dun want my kids to learn from her.

Maid meals,
My maid is medium frame, but she can eat 2 plates of chicken rice and for instant noodle, min 2 packets too. She prefer to eat especially fish and meat. Actually I agreed with Kash, changing a maid is really very sian + we have to fork out the 14 days levy for nothing.

My agency dun charge me replacement fee....

joyce, fifi,
thanks for yr advice! guess I will pump then. I also thot there would be more after pumping since babies can extract milk that the pump cant, thats why was surprised and regretted pumping when she started crying so soon after. cos am worried she is not getting enuf esp cos her weight gain is slow
sad.gif

mummies who have extra milk to pump - when do you pump? immediately after feeds? I am latching my baby almost every hour during the day that there is hardly any time in between feeds.

poohbeary,
I use desitin too. after my baby had some rashes, my CL taught me to use a little desitin each time she changes diapers when she poops. after that no rashes so far.

hi mummies, long time no post.

On maid:
I have a Indo maid for 2 mths. In the beginning, also very blur, lazy, always short cut on housework. My grandma doesnt like her from day 1 coz my grandma says she looks fierce and doesnt want her to touch my bb. i thought i might just use her for 2 years and change another maid.

I go to my mum's place everyday. But on Mon, my maid forgot to bring the FM. i asked her why she forgot and she rebuked me by saying "there's BM in the fridge!" i was stunned! My maid always talked back whenever i told her that she has done something wrong or she shouldnt have. i thought i just tahan for a while coz i already trained her for 2 mths and more or less she knows my style. But when i went home to take my FM, i dunno why, called it my 6th sense, i suddenly have the urge to go thru her personally belonging which i normally dun. TO MY HORROR, i found some bits of hair and a piece of fabric looks like cut from dirty panties in a ziplock bag in her drawer of clothes! i am guessing those hair could be mine as hers are very coarse. i felt so uneasy, i went straight to the agency and request to change for a new maid. I have to pay $60 for the transfer and $245 insurance for a new maid. i thought to myself, i just want to CHANGE the maid! so scary, could it be some voodoo that she's trying to do??? so yucky, i dun even want to think about it. My mum has maid for so many years but never encounter any maid like this! just my luck for getting such a maid.

On Baby:
I think i have a weird baby. he's on the bigger percentile, at 8 weeks, he was 5.8kg, 62cm length. but the thing is, he can sleep at 8.30pm with 80ml of BM feed and wake up at 7am!!! the other thing is he's not drinking much at all. i'm kind of worried coz he's drinking 80-100ml BM every 4-5hrly. sometimes i have to wake him and force him to drink. he sleeps so much that i dun understand why. i asked my PD but he's growing at 200g per week which is above avg of 150g, so PD is not really concerned. but i am!! i dunno if my baby is a low cost but i really hope he can drink more milk. i calculated, on avg, he drinks 400ml a day or even lesser! anyone have babies like this?

babyjoi,
My baby will also make noise when sleeping, n also always smile or laugh during sleep! Sometimes scare me lor hearing him suddenly laugh out..

Think no need to wake baby up for feeds at night, or else will become a habit for them den they will always wake up to feed at night. If she is hungry she'll cry for u de...

happywifey,
Normally in the day I'll pump and feed the baby when he wakes up. Just don put in the fridge and leave it at room temp can liao... Max 4 hrs, easier to warm it up also, cause not cold ma..

Jynnsan,
I never believe that green poo means frighten de. Previously when I bring baby out, whenever he go out he will poo green poo. But come home den will be normal liao. But then we also never went anywhere noisy or what. So i checkup online and it says that if baby poo green poo, and if is a TBF baby, it would be that baby is getting too much foremilk or overfeeding or underfeeding. If on FM, den probably there is vege content in the FM.

sabre,
do you mean if we leave the EBM at room temp, we can feed within 4 hours? or still must warm it up? sorry for the silly qns, hv been doing direct latch so far so dunno nuts about EBM ;p

happywifey,
yup. Whether to warm it up is up to u ba.. For me I don't. I only warm it up unless I've put in the fridge.

amooks

oh dear! ur maid sounded scary! yes hor, sounds like voodoo
sad.gif
i think i also find 1 day when my maid is not at home i will go thru her things. But will she discover I go thru them? Did u get a filipino this time? maybe we shd avoid indo coz of the voodoo thingy... aiyo now i also scared...
sad.gif

hhmm...ur PD said ok? perhaps ur bb absorbs very well... maybe u wanna call another PD to get 2nd opinion if u r really concerned. 400ml per day does sound rather little... mine is drinking 900ml EBM per day.... my PD calculated said correct amt...

hihi,

haven been the forum for a lonnng time.. my baby was born in oct instead of nov..

anyway, i will be movin to sengkang, anyone leaving in that region, we can bring our babies and meet up.

if u have facebook/multiply, pls add me.
[email protected]
cheers!

featherg: i didnt latch bb on.. i only pump every 6 hrly.. ;p coz since week 4 i can pump 200ml+ liao so now fridge gt excess as bb drank lesser at the start..

jynnsan: my bb also like ur bb.. always make noise and use hand to rub his eyes/face..

alibaba: my bb now 11 weeks+, 100ml every 3 hrly.. even lesser intake than yours.. worse right..

Liv,
Do you experience problem especially during night time sleep? My baby still wake up every 3-4 hrs for feeding (FM), and seems to have difficulties to sleep "deep". Very tough!

hi baby joi,

i m on a eat-play-nap schedule..so i will try to keep her awake after feeds although she also like to doze off during feeds.....by burping her over the shoulder..usually that will wake her up..then i put her over my shoulder and burp her while walking around the house...she kaypoh will start look see look see...if that dun work, i will lay her down and unswaddle her and gently shake her abit..5-10min later that will wake her up...after she awake i put her in rocker, she is usually contented to look see look see for awhile...
she starts to fuss when around 1.5hrs last awaken...but cos i am on this 3hr sch i knew is most like cos she tired rather than she wanna eat...and plus she will start yawn ...then i put her to her cot to nap...

this routine works for me...i think it makes it easier to know if bb is hungry or tired...sometimes bb just wanna to have something to suck suck and not really hungry...during confinement i was on feed on demand..that was tiring...sometimes feed less than 5min she doze off...v frustrating and also make milk supply v inconsisten...

dunno issit cos i on this sch so come night time also quite manageable...she is not sleeping thru the night yet but at least i am not waking up every hr to feed..i woke up around once/twice per night...btw..my gal is 7wks, on total bf...

Bluebear,Joyce,Fifi
Thanks for ur info and advice.

My bb is 3 months old now. Time flies. Miss the time when pregnant and enjoying the time since bb born till now.. Went to PD on fri and bb weighs 5.93kg. Her weight &amp; height both 50 percentile but head circumference is 90 percentile. I'm latching bb on most of the time and she is feeding every 2 hourly. Normally, One nightfeed on FM will last her 4-5 hrs but currently still doing my best to give bm(direct)even at night.

jynnsan,
My bb will also rub her face and starts to get cranky as she is sleepy and tired. She will wail loudly for 10-15 mins and then settle down to sleep after that. People who dun know will think i starve my bb.

Joyce/Peanut,
I tried hand express but really cannot. So painful and only few miserable drops.. I alternate between my manual and electric pumps and will get more if i also latch while pumping.

amooks,
Jadon is similar to your bb. He is 6.07kg, but he onl drinks btw 500-700ml of milk each day. Each time have to spend 45mins to an hr just to let him finish 120ml and sometimes the gap is 4hrs! But if PD says he is ok and gaining weight consistently, think there is no need to be concern.

Jynnsan / Babyzel,
Jadon will also start rubbing his face and cry when he is sleepy. Sometimes put him in the sarong he also dont want, need to carry him, appease him first, then can put in the sarong to sleep. Nowadays bb very difficult to please. :p

guess what my maid said she wanna change employer this morning. I am v bz and can only send her back to agent next monday afternnoon. what are my options if i want to send her back start to indonesia instead? i suspect she cut a hole in 1 of my bb's new romper this morning. Coz I put to wash yday... when i took out the tag etc, i din see any hole. it was a big hole. After she washed, she told me din i know there is a hole? I hope she wont find a new employer! times are so bad! so fed up. NOw dunno where to get a maid so urgently. my agency got no maids in hand also.

Hey mummies i stay in hougang opps hougang mall. my fridge is very full and my MIL ask me to clear everything cus she need the freezer to store her CNY food. so i have about 20-30's breastmilk packet to donate. Do let me know if you gals are interested. i got to clear by tomorrow sunday. The first packet that i have pump is dec till jan Thanks.

Jynnsan/babzel/carol
My girl also super cranky when she's sleepy in the daytime. She would cry and cry for 15 minutes or so before settling down to sleep. Sigh.

Jynnsan
In the middle of the night, my girl will not wake up but she will be turning her head a lot of times, and make a lot of whimpering. Will only quieten down to silent sleep when I stuff my nipple into her mouth. So yah, she sleeps through the night but still, I don't
sad.gif
I got awakened a few times. I wonder when this will stop.

Maid
There was once when I was in my bedroom, putting on makeup and my bedroom door, I didn't close. My maid wanted to come in to put something, and she walked in without asking if she could walk in. I was aghast! I told her later that it was rude to enter my bedroom when I'm in the room too. I told her that I wouldn't do that to her too.

Fifi, happywifey

I try to air his bottom awhile after bath. Think will go and get the desitin for diaper rash and see if it works well on him. Thanks

baby hard to please

I agreed to that, my boy also very cranky when he is sleepy. Need to coax in comfort before he can settle down to sleep. After feeding, he will still want to suck his fingers before he can fall asleep. Sometimes have to rock him before he is satisfied.

My boy can't sleep well in the day, so I usually let him sleep stomach down and he can really sleep well for 4 to 5 hrs throughout. At night, I will swaddle him and sleep in aircon facing up. It works well. Probably you all can try that on your baby if they have difficulty sleeping in the day.

Poohbeary
No lah, your boy is not that difficult. I do what you do, and my girl can sleep for 2 hours, I'll be happy. 4-5 hours is a feat!

Snnowy,
Tnks for ur info
happy.gif

Amooks,
wow, ur maid really sound scary. u made the right choice by sending her back.

Kash,
ur maid also very problematic hor.. sometimes is really a matter of luck when engaging maid. U must look after ur belongings now since she is going to leave cos some will steal things.
When my philipino maid went bk last time, i checked on her everything, also ask her to take out her bra n panties but of course she back face me lar.(i also dun want to see). I also ask my mum's maid to stay with us when i checked on her, just to prevent any miscommunication.

poohbeary:
If you need desitin and can wait, you can wait till the drugstore spree stuff arrived. Prob end next week or so. Coz I ordered spares and its definitely cheaper than SG.

Fifi,
Thanks for the tips. It's really getting very annoying and demoralising for me. Had a blister on the left boob plus blocked ducts last week and it took a week to clear. Then the other boob had a blister which, fortunately, cleared within a couple of days. BUT now, the right boob is blocked again! I've seen the lactation consultant at raffles hosp last week already but my boobs are taking turns to give me problems... Super sian...

Back