(2008/11) November 2008

re: sleeping thr the nite

I have monitored my bb these two days and it seems that my bb now at 6weeks old able to sleep thr the nite after the last feed at 12mn. At least now I can sleep thr the nite too! BB can sleep thr till 7am and I will wake up to feed him. I did not set any routine plan for him, I just feel that bb will eventually set the routine to sleep longer at nite when we adults are sleeping too! Probably different babies will have this routine established in time to come.

Mosh
I do what bibi does. I did try to put her on the bumpermat to play with her but she can't play for long. After a while, she'll just cry. Usually it's because she's tired. Usually when she's awake, she's alert only for a short while.

Fifi,

we din wake her up at 1130pm cos she was sleeping so 'xiang'..hardly moved since i last put her down to bed......hubby say dun force her to wake up scarly she cranky and dun wan to sleep...

But in the end, she wake up herself at 12.30am...and the next feed she woke up 4plus...so i guess it probably will work if i wake her up at 11.30pm to take last feed...

Olwen: Wow..how your bb has grown!
happy.gif

Sabre: I am also on TBF. EBM is abt 80-110ml..depending. He usu drinks less coz he don't like bottle arghh. My bb is abt 10 wks old.

Snowwy: My bb's intake of EBM also flunctuates, I guess shld be ok as long they are growing??

Mosh: If I am not tired, will play with him for a while, but if I am tired (usually the case haa), I would put him in rocker. If he cries, then have to carry him for sometime...

SLeeping thru the night: Noticed my bb can sleep longer for the past wk, but like Bear and Fifi, mine's last feed is abt 7-8pm, and he will wake up at 2-3am. *faint* and after that, he would still wake up again at 5am, so still have to wake up twice as well...will try to feed again at 11 or near midnight and see how...

shop4stuffs,

Jadon is already in his 5th day of medication, didnt seems to get better, but not getting worst also. Will bring him back for review soon.

Bear,
Good to know that the sound coming from his throat is not to be of big concern. Bought him to the PD and he does not seems worried abt it also. Gave Jadon medication for his phelgm cause he is really phelgm and sometimes will vomit milk together with the phelgm.

BB sleeping thr night
Jadon is doing so much better now. Last night fed him at 9.20pm 120ml FM and he slept till this morning 5am before asking for milk. HIs schedule more or less fix le. Now he will sleep around 10+pm and last feed abt 9+ and he can sleep till 4-5am in the morning.

Olwen,
Sorry, did not see your question until now. I am a christian and attending Evangel Family church in yishun. You looking for a church to go to??

glad gal,
Your bb's intake also like tat? Then I guess it should realli be fine cos my mil commented that they should onli increase the intake and not decrease. But I'm the onli 1 in the family giving BF out of all the DIL.

RE: BB sleeping through the night
I guess it should be different bb's pattern and habbit. Sometime the more what want to change, the worse it become.

My bb last intake is around 8+ to 9pm and she will wake up at 4.30am. But instead of crying for her feed, she will just lie in cot and suck her thumb. Hear liao like so ke lian so I bf her.

My friends tell me that bb need to be trained to wean off night feed by ignoring them no matter how badly they cry, After a few nights, they will auto stop waking up for milk. But it like very cruel lay.

hello mummies
can advise on your timings to pump and store milk. I latch bb all day. During nite, very siong coz nurse every 1hr. does sleeping in sarong help????

snnowy,
ya, it is true. Most Ang Mo trained their baby to sleep through the night by letting them cry out.. So eventually baby will stop asking for milk cause they know even they cry, also no milk for them. But u must make sure they get enough milk during the day time.

Feather,
I pump every 4 hourly now.. at night i also pump.. Think it is quite true that bb who latch on tends to wake up every 2 hourly for milk.. maybe u wanna try to express and let bb drink your ebm? I remember my #1 also latch all day long and he will wake up every 2 hourly sharp for milk.. But this #2, i gava her ebm and she tends to sleep longer. Last feed ard 9pm+ and she can stretch to 4, 5am.

RE: Pls advise
I had about more than 10 cups/bags of frozen breastmilk. As i had run out space in my freezer, i am thinking of giving my frozen breastmilk away. Can i donate to orphan home? Any idea mummies?

Hi everyone,

Need some advice from you guys
happy.gif

My baby is now 8 weeks old and i've been BF her since day 1. Last week, i had a blocked duct and a huge area on my left breast was swollen and lumpy. No matter how often i latch my baby on that side and pumping frequently, the lump remained. I massaged and used hot water bag but it didn't help much. That lasted for about 5 days when all of a sudden, milk started leaking out from that breast and when i pumped, the breast became soft again, just like when the milk has been emptied out.

However, since then, the lump would reappear every evening even though all is fine during the day. It would leak in the middle of the night and then i would pump and the breast would become soft again.

Is this normal for blocked ducts? How long will it take before it becomes unblocked completely? I have called the lactation cosultant at Raffles Hospital where i delivered and her advice is to keep latching on or pumping. I'm reluctant to use cabbage on the breast as it would reduce my already miserable supply.

Since last night, the area where the lump was now has a bruise-y feel to it, it's even painful when my bra touches the area.

Anyone has any advice?

hi mummies!

snnowy, karen, glad gal, haru, yes luke has grown
happy.gif
thanks to all the prayers & kind wishes of the aunties here.

hui: noelle is so big!

carol: oh errrr, i just thought tt since u bring your maid to church, u were catholic cos most filipinos r catholic
happy.gif

hey joyce my bb prefers breast. hubby bottle feed once at nite and its war time. so u mean from beginning just pump 4 hourly no latch needed any more?

Waterbaby:
To clear the sides, use football hold when latching. Now if its so painful, likely its extremely blocked already. My advice is to see a lactation consultant to get her to clear for you.

Joyce:
My freezer like going to be no space liao oso. I got 20 bottles and 19 bags liaoz.

Sleep Thru Night:
Still fail.

Thanks, Fifi
happy.gif
I was wondering if I should see the lactation consultant. When i called the last time, she just told me to keep latching on and applying purelan. Perhaps I should just make an appointment to see her now...

Waterbaby,
I went to my gynae for blocked duct n sore nipples. He gave me some antibiotics n told me use cold towel to reduce the sore. After the antibiotics, my blocked duct problems improved. He also told me to drink more water. Maybe you can give it a try.

Bear,
I have done the transfer on sat already. But mine is interbank and will only reflect in ur statement later, transfer details are as per email. Pls check and cfm whether u received. Thanks

Bear,
Just transferred. Pls acknowledge when u received. Tnks..

Fifi,
Ya, will call to hospital like KK or TMC to check whether they accept not..

Hello!

Re: Enne
My laptop's Java got prob so i have probs checking ur transfer. need to use another comp. will email u guys once i have checked.

Re: block ducts
Wah lao it happened to me yesterday night lor. i spent 3 hrs trying to clear it.. hardly slpt last night. this morning rush to see LC cos it is affecting my milk supply. LC said tissues are swollen already so even though she cleared my blocks i still feel pain and my boob is still a bit hard. hope it clears by itself soon man, so painful. although the boob was blocked, it still leaked when i slpt. first time i leaked all over the place!!

Re: slping through the nite
I think i succeeded! last feed last night was 11.15pm. he woke up at 4.15am but i pat him back to slp. he then woke up at 5.20am so we fed him. heh... hopefully he can skip the 5am one soon too.

Bibi,

Thanks for sharing that with me
happy.gif
I just made an appointment to see the lactation nurse tomorrow. She asked me many questions and eventually 'decided' that my blocked duct could be due to a blister i had on the nipple. It was a small white dot which was on the nipple for several days but i didn't think much of it. Apparently that was most likely to be the one blocking the release of the milk.

Bear,

Mine leaked in the middle of the night too! I never had any leaks cos my supply is not great to begin with so they have never been so full that they leak. But when i had blocked ducts, no matter how hard i tried to express or latch my baby on, no milk came out. Eventually the boob got so full and engorged that it was like a huge stone and then leaked and soaked up the entire bra.

The lactation nurse i spoke with said that it's better to determine the cause of the block. If it's like my case, even though i managed to unblock it on saturday night, it would still continue to be block again and again as the real cause of it is not tackled with.

Waterbaby, ya its best u go and check what's causing the block. else it will recur very frequently. this is the 2nd time in 7 wks plus that i kena block ducts. first time was just a few days aft my bb's birth. i think this time i kena becos for the first time since his birth on Mon and Tues nites, i was too tired and skipped the 3am pump. hence both boobs were pretty engorged in the morn.

The LC said there was a block IN my nipple! that's the worst place to have a block cos the tissue there is so sensitive. when she cleared it today, i was trying not to scream... now the breast tissue all swell liao. she told me must keep pumping to clear the milk in the swollen tissue else will develop infection. I now breathe also pain, but thank gdness my breast is still producing some what the same amt of milk.

featherG,
I also latching baby on whole day. Only one of the feed i'll give EBM. After he wake up in the morning i'll feed him n bath him. Then I'll pump out the milk. He's feeding 1-2hrs so i'll pump inbetween lor. But at night sometimes he can sleep 3-4hrs without milk. He also don't really like bottle, somemore drink very little only..

What age do we send our tods to pre nursery etc? I want my tod to have good foundation for maths (abacus class) and chinese...any advise mummies.,.?

Hi Mummies,

I have a few items to let go...

Use it less than 5 times ...

1) Infantino Front2Back Rider Baby Carrier (Selling $60)

Can view the picture here:
http://www.infantino.com/Carriers/151-301.php

2) Bumbo Baby Seat with playing Tray - Blue Colour (Selling $50)
http://www.bumbobabyseat.com/orderbumbobabyseat.html

3) Safety Fits Infant Car Seat - Red (Selling $30)
http://babymeadows.com.sg/safety-fits-4-in-1-infant-car-seat.html

Interested can drop me a mail @ [email protected] or sms 97484744

hi mummies

anyone can share with me the recipe of green papaya fish bone soup? am thinking to get maid to cook but i dunno how to cook as well so cant instruct her. thanks

Sabre,
My bb also dun really like bottle. Sometime she will keep pushing the teat out and cry. Then in the end, I stopped and nurse her, she 'll take the breast immediately.

However she will drink for 10 mins and dozed off. Put her on bed, less than half an hour, she will wake up for milk.

Pre- nursery:
3 or 4 years old.

Anyway, abacus and those xin suan may not help a child to be good in Maths. Instead, it may hinder instead. When I was teaching, my boys who were very good with abacus and xin suan had so much problems with some of the Maths topics. Its because they are taught to count backwards, i.e. subtract from 10, instead of proper addition and subtraction. Hence, I will not let my daughter go for such classes.

Sleep thru night:
Alyssa slept from 11pm to 5am yesterday. So happy. But lets see if it lasts.

Fifi,
thanks for ur tip. i am currently already taking Fenugreek.maybe i will combine the dosage and take them when i am at work only. will just go with the flow. just bot sterilizer yesterday to put at my office.

snnowy,
ignoring their cry seems so heartless!! i can't do that, rather wake up no matter how tired i am.

Re:sleeping thru e nite
my baby has still been waking up between 5-6am regardless of the time of her last feed. so i can feed her anytime from 9pm - 12am and she will still auto wake up around that time.hahah..no complains on it as it is quite a long stretch for her already, just that she wakes up again after that feed like 2 hours later. just when i m about to get some more sleep.=P wonder if i put up dark curtains it will help her sleep a lil longer till maybe like 9am?

hey mumies,
since most of your babies are sleeping thru e nite already, do you wake up in middle of nite to pump? i was doing that until a few days ago coz i was just too tired to do so..lazy mummy..sigh..

can i also ask if you are doing single side latchin or both? i am wondering if i am too lazy to pump other side should i just let baby latch both sides just to stimulate the supply? especially when i return to work.

feeding: My bb is drinking 5x a day, 130ml each feed ... is this sufficient? 5-6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10-11pm. In the day, every 4hrly.

Last night, he drank at 10.30pm. Sleep till 2am, move here n there .. my hb say he hungry ask mi make milk but he fuss (which is unusual at night). He drank 30ml then my hb gave up and put him to sleep then he woke up at 6am for milk again. He usually fuss during feeding in the day but not midnight feed.

bluebear,

thanks
happy.gif

Jo,

my boy drinking 150ml EBM 6 times a day. PD said just nice.

Re : Pneumococcal 1st dose

I juz brought my boy for his Pneumococcal 1st dose vaccination today. At 11.5 weeks, he is 5.81kg and 59cm. Weight is 75 percentile and height is 50 percentile.

PD said 150ml per feed at 6 times per day is good so i think i will stick to 150ml.

Re : Maid

I finally LOST it this morning, scolded her very badly this morning..then later, screamed at her too! cant understand simple instructions even i showed her and repeated 6 times! finished liao juz kept the items nvr bother to ask me i hv to take effort to open the fridge to check.

fifi: thanks for the advise..didnt know will hinder their maths..

Do you intend to send todd to pre nursery..? what do they learn or do at pre nursery?

Feathers: I pump every 3 hrs, and baby drinks every 2.5-3 hrs each feed is 100-120 ml, at night sometimes she sleeps for almost 5 -6 hrs then drink... I tink bcos direct latch baby does not drink as much as in bottle feed. I bottle feed from day 1.

Wow, guess I have not been feeding enuff ... being cranky during feeds made mi thought that he is still full .. doesnt wanna drink ... guess I shld try to feed him like every 3.5hrly ...

Bear, my block is also in my nipple. Apparently i had a blister on the nipple,which is didn't know, and that caused the block. Now that the left boob has been unblocked last night, i saw a blister on my right nipple and a lump was forming on the under side of that boob this morning when i touched it. I hope the boobs don't take turns to get blisters and become blocked! Really left me in a bad mood...

hi mummies.. wow u all so hardworking can pump every 3 hours.. i very lazy i only pump 4 times a day 6 hrly.. ;p i seldom direct feed coz he took very long.. bottle feed faster.. haha.. my pump amt is ard 200ml each time i pump and bb fed 3 hrly 100ml..

Kash,
cool down, i know how u feel. Just repeat again,they are very forgetful. Ask her to write down and read everyday till she remember!
I remember u mentioned EBM can keep in fridge for 24 hours, it should be 48hours right? *Confuse*

RE: Blocked ducts
Looks like some mummies here are also getting blocked ducts.. It is very common for bf mummy. Just to checked, any mummy get blokced under the breast, which is near the bra support area there? think i kenal blocked 2 times there already and it was damn painful. massage with hot towel for 2,3 days already but still there! Milk supply is still there, so do i need to visit LC?

my baby is 8 weeks. weighs 4.2kg is weight OK birth wt was 2.3kg? I direct latch.

CC, LIV
you pump and latch or just pump to store the extra milk??

my gal sleeps v little and wants to be latch almost hourly... so I tot i may just switch to giving ebm??

Liv,
u pump 6 hourly, wont get engorged or blocked ducts?
I used to pump 3hourly but ss alot and stretch to 4 hourly. Midnight pump 4-5 hourly.. Actually i wish to stretch longer but afraid that wil get blocked ducts easily..

joyce,

i kenna before at that area... super painful when touched... that time was still during confinement so i was still able to latch my bb... and he cleared it after 3 short latching sessions... hiaz...sometimes really must massage real hard until i wanna tear...

something as simple as cutting a papaya into 8 slices and remove the skin also must write down? I took out the papaya and showed her how to cut leh... aiyoh!!! STUPID! Then hor, since CL left, i already told her the cloth nappy must fold and ensure about 5 ready folded for me to use. I will only use ocassionally when say if bb poo poo and i will be showering him in another 30 mins. then i will use cloth nappy. Everytime, she nvr follow instructions, i will bring her to the drawer and show her...see no more liao, please fold and ensure at least 5 ready pieces... this happened at least 5 times and everytime, i will ask her to come and show her and tell her nicely, must check etc.. coz she fold bb's clothes daily will sure open that drawer. This morning, same! Used till no more liao and she din bother. Guess what, she ate pork last nite! And even save a lot of it for herself. I already lost my patience with her.

kash,
u think she purposely do it or she is really that silly? (some are really very forgetful) Some will purposely do and makes u send her back..

hiya mummies, how's everyone?

Out of curiosity, any mummies here thinking of engaging a maid to help with housework only and do not mind a transfer maid?

I will be returning my maid to the agency when the replacement comes but i wish to help her secure a good employer first instead of being sucked dry by the agent. Personally i feel she is very hardworking. She can work from morning till night and housework quite ok but the downside is she is not good with babies and my mom is impatient with her. She say very hard to train her as she is too young and do not like my mom's nagging. My mom also no time to properly train her as she is taking care of 2 babies. As for me, i take care of kayden myself and seldom ask her to help so she concentrates only in housework. My mum been bugging me to get a maid with baby experience to help her so no choice, she has to go. She been with us for 6 mths and doesnt steal.

But for her to perform well, you got to be firm with her and not get too friendly. I think we started off the wrong foot, too friendly with her in the beginning that sometimes she forget she is working for us and not here to holiday. She still left about 1-2mths loan to pay off.

She had working experience in Malaysia for 2 years.

joyce

i dunno leh...she looks blurblur type. But honestly, i wonder can anyone be that stupid?? Think she prefers to go to my mum's place as my mum chit chat with her. I told my mum to keep it up as 1 shd be nice and I have to be firm.

Dreamyjo

my maid doesn't touch my kids too. i only engage her to do housework. Housework wise i still think she can pass lah... juz that she is forgetful. and i find she has started to slack...like nvr clean my shower screen in the bathroom... i had to tell her off last nite then she cleaned it well today. I also like u, started off with the wrong foot... i was pretty nice and patient with her. Even the horrible mistake like hanging my baby's bib and face towel with hb and my undies (touching hor) i also nvr scold her. Just told her nicely cannot do that. Even the lizard trap incident where she mixed with my eating containers, I also told her nicely cannot do that coz dirty etc. This is the first time i LOST my temper and screamed at her.

Amt of Milk:
My PD says if really want to measure, the formula is 120ml to 150ml per KG per day. But a better gauge is weight gain than amount of milk.

cc:
I intend to send her in the future. More for her to make friends and social skills rather than mental development.

Haru:
I think you shld pump then slowly stretch the timing between pumps. Else later blocked.

Waterbaby:
Better see a lactation consultant. Else it gets worst very fast. Trust me on this as I have a blister last week. Solved le but came back & worst than ever. Been suffering these few days coz of blocks and blisters.

Joyce:
Better see. Else get worst you suffer. Just for these blocks and blisters, I took leave on Tues and today liao. Pain like siao.

Feeding
Jadon is drinking 5-6times a day, btw 60-140ml. He is quite difficult to feed de. He is drinking betw 600-700ml per day. Not sure if thats enough. So worried that he is not getting enough milk. He is 6.07kg, thus if according to Fifi's PD, he is not drinking enough!! :S

Kash, haha i think my maid prefers to come back to my place cos at nite can have good sleep and no one will nag at her. She can do the things she want. At my mom's place, its siong as got 2 babies to look after and my mom will nag her to do this and that and nite time had to get up to help make milk. I think as im the one paying her the salary, she's not willing to take orders from them but will still do. My mom still chit chat and joke with her and let her watch tv but behind her back will complain to me. haha so funni.

I guess maids all like that, very forgetful or should i say lack common sense.

Ya, for the new maid, i had decided to change the tactic liao. No more friendly mdm. She is to eat separately from us, no more at the same table and no more little chit chats from me. Too friendly, they will start to get bolder and yaya and forget their place.

feeding
Kayden is drinking about 120ml 7-8 times per day. I think abit too much but he will auto cry for feed every 3 hrly. He is about 7kg liao and look so chubby. Very scared next time got obesity issue.

joyce, featherg: sometimes i will have lumps and block ducts.. jus keep massaging and also latch bb to clear lor.. i only latch bb on when i need his help to clear hahaa..

i started with 4 hrs.. then slowly stretch the timing to 5 then to 6 hrs.. ;p everytime i pump i will only pump till 250ml max.. once i hit 200ml, i relax relax le.. coz my bb only take 100ml per feed.. so one pump session can feed my bb twice.. ;p

dreamyjo

can i ask when u send the maid back to the agency and ask for another maid, is there any form of service fee that your agency charges?

My agency told me i have to pay $300 for any changes and another $100 for medical and also new insurance fees....What the $%#&$???????

Heya ladies..

Re: Enne
sorry i still haven't checked ur transfers. my block ducts didn't clear so had to go to another LC today. Must thank Fifi for arranging for me to see her LC. her LC damn gd. she managed to express 100ml of milk using her hands from my blocked breast!!

Waterbaby, i agree with Fifi that u shd go and see a LC. i nv knew that i had to massage my nipples and areola before i express! most of my blocks were there, plus the tissue there so sensitive. i almost mati when she squeezed my nipples!!! and i have high pain threshold! i always had sore nipples and i tot it was becos i pump so often hence they hurt. in actual fact it was becos they were partially blocked hence i feel the pain. now i can massage my nipples and areola and get abt 50ml!!! then i put on the pump and get another 90ml. nipples also not pain liao.
happy.gif

Joyce u also kena ah? LC said that the hardest to clear is the area under the breast. although my blocked breast still got milk coming out, my supply was halved. if it still persist, u better get it cleared else u get infection!

Kash, oh dear.. sorry to say ur maid sounds very goon du.. i so scared i will be like u. go crazy with my maid. i lead a very hectic life, cannot imagine spending time going through instructions so many times with her! how come ur agency nv offer 2 free replacements? i tot its standard? like that u might as well change agency! as for insurance, u cannot get back the lump sum. think if u cancel the policy within 1 mth, u get 70% back but aft that if u cancel within 3 mths u get only 30% back. aft 3 mths u get nothing. insurance is non transferable.

Re: feeding amt
My boy is taking 7 meals a day leh, 120ml each. he weighed 5.1kg 2 wks back.. dunno if i shd be increasing his feed. sometimes he can take forever to finish it. for me, i give him a fixed amt and no matter wat, he has to finish it! he drinks abt 800-900ml a day cos i do give him an extra feeding at 7pm before he goes to bed.

Back