(2008/07) July 2008

two "FIRST-DAYs" today. and i started the first one missing the school bus! grrrr!

lugged T2 along with me to send T1 to school at 6.45am and realised grrrrr forgot to bring her pupil profile form. and the school was SOOO ORDERLY that no parent is allowed 100m from their kids!

Drove home to collect form then went to drop T2 at 8.15am. He lurved the new kindy and we somehow mistakenly thought early release today at 10am (that was only for nursery kids not K1 kids) so thought might as well stick around to wait for him to finish. Phoned helper to come early too so after she arrives, we can go back to T1's school. Then at 10am, alamak! realised no dismissal! Sent helper home. Trooped back to T1's school. By then already missed her recess time! grrrrrrrr!

Then helper called and said some TUPID teacher went to put T2 on the bus and she raised such a ruckus racing around the school to look for him and luckily found him in the school bus that has not driven away yet! and i had to call her three times all interrupted by dropped calls to get this info! grrrrrrrrr!

Went home showered went off to work and finally at 2.15pm got call from T1 that she has finally reached home! GLAD THAT THE FIRST DAY IS OVER!

Wah! What a chaotic day for u! Hope the kiddos enjoyed their first day though... Which kindy is t2 in now? I'm considering your ex-kindy as an alternative for us.. No complaints about it so far?

Your views too, Youpi? And is S in p1 too today? How did it go?

G starts tomorrow. Hope he gets good teachers... Which I feel plays the biggest part...

Doggie
Wah! Your Ts have a thing with school buses hor... Relax, it gets easier and better as the days follow. As long as there was no crying, okay lah!

DD
Some parents complain that it does not prepare the kids enough for P1. This is not a a competitive kindy. No ting xie. Ludicrously simple homework. Standards are very low compared to what SY's kids do in school. But the teachers are lovely and loving. The space and greenery is fantastic and children get to romp around in this hidden green lung. There is no air-con. Even the bus drivers and the bus aunties are super friendly.

BUT there is constant congestion on the roads and in school during pick up and drop-off, and it will get worse once work on the north-south highway begins.

S is in P2! Old bird already!

Sounds a lot like G's kindy.. Def no ting xie and he doesn't have homework at all... But the space, greenery and warmth sounds great!

Gosh! S's in P2 already?? Still picture him as a little boy who was reading famous four at such a young age.. Does he take the school bus now that the school's on temporary grounds and is further away?

Sent G today and heard there's 30 kids in his class this year! Hope the teachers can cope...must gather more details later.. But he's glad to be back among familiar faces, I could see
happy.gif

i agree with youpi. there is an old school charm about the place. apparently it looks exactly like how it looks 30 years ago when sil went there. lovely lovely teachers. and i like the christian/catholic environment. huge greens and space to run around. even has its own little wading pool where the kids have weekly pool time. its a lovely place to grow up in. and i think it still believes pre-school years are to play and have fun. so no tingxie no spelling. homework is like really simple. takes you 5 mins to complete. i really like the place. if not for the fact i shifted, i would not pull T2 out. so far, the new church kindy has been great too though.

cellow
my house is always in a mess. so nothing to shout about
happy.gif

LOL at teacher waving fan remote! she knows her stuff! gosh, even the REMOTE also can! best la

doggiebb
haha can imagine loud beeping noises if parents get within the 100m radius! whoa what a first day for you! super drama, can?!

eh you shifted? where to?

youpi
lol on S being "old bird"!

DD
I answer for youpi : SHE/mr youpi are the bus drivers
happy.gif

Oh ya... Hahaha

Can't believe how fast the kiddos are growing up...

Good to hear T2 adapting well to new kindy too... Can see he's a good natured boy who'd have no problems actually
happy.gif

Cellow hang in there! Am sure teachers can win c1 over with the fans they have over there hehe

Crap..
I missed the school bus yesterday..
Luckily i know the route and quickly rushed to the next point.....

really tiring to wake up as early as the kids and sleep later than them..

doggiebb
oh! wah. then what about T2? will he go to the same sch?

actually just out of curiousity: if one has a house, and rents it out and rents another place, then which address counts as the one the child is registered for? ie which address to put when applying for school? the rental, right?

T1 goes to a girls school. T2 will go to papa's boys sch. slightly further away near bartley.

the address must be the one the child is living in.

Cellow: hope today is a better day for C1 at his new school. Once he finds something he can relate to, he will walk in automatically. My Pre-school teacher friends told me its a boy thing, every year their "full of patterns" at start of school come from the boys. The girls have too but they settle more quickly.

School: how's everyone's kids at school. Today is last day of orientation for G2. So after this, if I didnt hear from the teachers....I will have me time in the mornings!!!!
happy.gif

*waves* to everyone...

hows everyone been???

School update: during the pTC last month, teacher said eboy had difficulty staying still in class and thus doesn't seem to be able to "keep up with his peers".. imagine it was so bad they recommended i "pull him out from the school's full day enrichment" since he is not "benefitting from group learning". instead, they recommended i go 1-on-1 with him. *whoa, knife stick into my heart. the chinese teacher feedback was the worse. he refuse to speak chinese and communicate at all. *cue thunder and lightning*

so during the december holidays, me and Mr Mich made a commitment that our nights with eboy would be different now and everyday we will be spending structured learning with him for at least 1/2 an hour every night. It showed tremendous progress and i beg to differ with the teachers that eboy is not keeping up with his peers, As far as I am concern, he is doing fine.

What i wanted to share on chinese. eboy has been in berries for over a year. he enjoys it, yes absolutely. he could recognise some words, yes. but rarely wants to speak or read it out loud. So we did some internet googling. and we found a series of chinese books from popular. We started the book with him, doing a few pages a night (took less than 5min) and within a week, he could read chinese passages very well. I was amazed and so impressed, i felt so proud of him. must share this with all mummies whose child refuse to read chinese. he could do it so well now, he is self motivated to read more and more chinese everyday, and during the first week of school, chinese teacher wrote to me to say finally eboy could communicate in chinese!!!

its the sage formula books from popular. each book costs only $6.95 and basically just read a few chapters a night and just keep moving on cos the chinese words keeps repeating itself as you move on the chapters....

Ooooh popular. I must go check out this series mentioned by mich. But recently I bought so many things from them I just decided it maks sense to be a. Member. The latest was this series of science comics called young scientist /science explorer or something that T2 simply adores.

Yeah, Chinese books from Popular are really affordable. I like the music ones with the words and CD included. So while I'm surfing net on the computer, I can play the CD and Declan can try to follow the words on the book. Win-Win!

hi mummies!!!
phew..it was a tiring first week but both kiddos are ok with their new sch. i feel very blessed that they adjusted with no issues esp JX cos i din even have time to pop in to check on her but just sent her there at 715 on the first day and only pickced her at 5.30pm. was at JH's sch being a volunteer for 3 days and saw many interesting characters! there was a father whose son was late for sch and he told us to tell the teacher that the mother had forgotton the son starts sch. he was repeating that so many times! hey, who says it is only the mothers' responsibility right.....sigh...

now i feel busy busy busy...jx's new sch has news article sharing every mon and show n tell every wed! that is going to keep me busy man. worse part is they alternate btwn chinese and english. i need chinese newspapers!

doggiebb
is young scientist really good? was thinking of getting for jh.

michelle
there is this series of chinese story books about a giraffe that jx loves. i borrow from library and she loves it until she will memorise it. the stories are very cute as well. i will take a pic and post it.

jo
hee freedom for u in mornings!!! precious time to do own things.....

Chinese books: There's also another series I saw at berries book shelf, very good too. They progress from nouns, adjectives, verbs...to stories of application. Like anger management, how to deal with emotions... All in simple Chinese words. the berries receptionist told me to call up the publisher and currently they have a counter at chevron(raffles place) and airport T3 basement. They come in sets.
I like to use word cards to teach, they somehow impressed my kids.

SY: ya! Me time! Hooray!
happy.gif
you still at bouna vista? Next time go find you.

Mich,
Yup they are songs. I think songs are the easiest way to a kid's heart. Or at least to my kid's heart. He just randomly makes up his own words and his own songs. I think songs make kids more open to Chinese too.
I just like the fact that he will request for certain songs, flip to that page (or ask for help to find the page), then try to follow the words on the page while singing the song
happy.gif

My ILs also like to randomly get Declan to sit on their lap while they are reading the Chinese newspapers and point out certain simple words or ask him certain simple words. I am grateful for that cos it makes him open to reading the Chinese newspapers, which I am nowhere proficient.

bbp
i have the green one! jx sings song 1 to 40 all the time....

Jo
yes i m still there!! come come!!!

bbp u r very lucky!! hee can i get chinese newspapers from u fortnightly?? haha need to bring to sch!

Sy,
Sure! Just let me know which day you want and I'll keep for you.
I have 2 - green and yellow. I love to buy these books as presents. Got hanyu pinyin for parents who need the extra help. Haha.

Wah mandarin... Something I'm totally hopeless in... Bought that green book too but think its collecting dust somewhere.. What I do is bring out his very few mandarin books and pray his grandma reads it with him cos no one else (the other half grrr) won't bother...

Where's jx going to now? Why did she switch schools?

dd,
I think you can just play it in the background or in the car. Yup, it is irritating at times, but what can we do as mothers right?

Haha the two men are already fighting for their songs to be played in the car...

Today G went for his new berries session for the year and came home with homework to do which I totally couldn't handle (no hanyun pinyin or alphabets at all) so made the hubby sit down with him for the very first time... Just before bed, hubby turned and said: I think his mandarin's horrible..and I can't do it... We need to get him a one-to-one tutor

*rolls eyes* preschool mandarin and the hubby is too lazy to sit down with him Liao! But highly likely I may consider that when he's in primary school.. And mandarin gets serious!

Cin... What are your views? Can u n SJ speak/read/write?

DD
i switched JX's sch cos of logistics issue. switched to nearer to JH's sch so i can send and pick easier. hb refused to help with the logistics!
sad.gif

yah i play the music in the car too. so all of us now can memorise the songs haha....

my hb also dun do any of the teaching with them. the few times that he did, it ends up in tears for them as they got caned haha.....no patience lor.

Think this year onwards? They didn't have any last year but today (his first class) he came back saying he has to complete one page of the workbook..

Gywn attending too?

bbp
i like how you substitute "pinkbunny" with "for those who need extra help"
happy.gif

just went to the bookshelf and TADA! saw that i had the green one haha

garang guni time has come again! may i ask around please, if anyone has BOTTLE CAPS? any size. can keep for me please? i don't mind paying for postage if you will send to me (like in batches la, not one by one), if we're not meeting for a lunch or anything. thanks in advance!!

Ok ok... Thanks for info! Luckily we talked about this! The teachers didnt tell me and I didnt see that page! -.-"""

PB,
No la. Everybody needs the help from time to time, cos I'm sure there are words that we hardly use in typical conversations.
That green one is probably from me - I like to give that as a present. Haha.
Bottle caps - I'm sure you don't want the beer bottle ones right? Haha.

Jo,
Probably cos Gwyn finished the homework in class already.
happy.gif

BBP: ha ha ha... Thanks for making me feel better!
happy.gif
it's mummy sotong and girl also sotong! The book is new so the pages sort of stuck together. And when I finished looking the first 2 pages, I happily close the book and put back into the bag! :p yesterday I took out again then I found the page! :p asked Gwyn, she said, "oh ya, Lao Shi 说要 do with 妈妈"! -.-"

Michelle, which chinese books are these? I want to get them too! This year, my resolution is also to be more serious in teaching my 2 kids every nite. trying very hard..

Berries

Oh, that should be K1 standard. Wuffy got retained in the N2 standard, so no homework yet... phew.. else, with Kumon and his kindy homework plus chinese revision, I will start to feel sorry to Wuffy...

batgirl,
Wah seh, Wuffy got Kumon also?
Mich was talking about this series. Just some info for you. See the 3 dots at the side of 500? That indicates Level 3. And the 1 2 3 4 5 on top of the title are sub-levels. So this particular book is 3.2
7997824.jpg

I m also stocking up at iherb if anyone wants to tompang. East and central collection points la

Doggiebb,
Guess tis more worth it to b popular card member once the elder one is in p school
happy.gif

jo
lol at gwyn's dual language sentence! i get that lots from poppy too

bbp
actually i bought that green one after hearing you rave about it!! today we dusted it and re-played it and poppy loved it. yay

wah so that is the sage series. i also have! hahahahha. just went to check. mine is level 1 with 4 dots. i think i should get 1.1

beer bottle caps? i wan PLASTIC la, woman! if beer ones come in plastic, i don't mind!

hey DD - sorry late reply, just managed to check the forum
happy.gif

both SJ and i cant read/write/speak fluent mandarin
sad.gif
. bean attends chinese kindy for 3 hours daily. figured we needed help and better to tackle it now.

Popular cardmember
Me too! Got it to buy stationery (yes for P1) and other rubbish
happy.gif

Ostrich syndrome
I really want to bury my head in the sand after reading your posts. Super impressed by Mich's dedication, Bbp's in-laws, and all the kiddos here who have exceeded their level academically. Have decided to buck up and torture the small one to actually learn something this year. Unfortunately will have to do it on my own as he refuses to take any classes. Had to shove him into Berries this year as he enjoyed the break from classes too much!

Berries homework: he did the writing on his own. I opened the book and found that he'd written the words in the first two boxes. In the third was a drawing of a car :\ But quite a nice drawing
happy.gif

Pb
You mean like the bottle caps from mineral water bottles?

Back