(2008/07) July 2008

Cellow,
Since ILs have already been activated, I think there's nothing much you can do except to LL suck thumb (army language alert). Next time, you can consider part-time help for the cleaning and laundry portion on weekends? I recall youpi used to have that.

doggiebb,
I think Bishan is a super popular area cos it's so close to the MRT and housing estates. Now I wonder how super kiasu my cousin was cos my niece is in Berries Bishan. Heh heh.
Wah! -15 to -9 is super cold! Has it always been this cold for the past few years?

bbp,
teach me a way to tell them 'dun come so often, you hinder me more than you help' :p
they fly in 3-4 times a year, and stay 3weeks to a month each time. that is one entire quarter of the whole year i need to zip and release steam here.

dyslexia
i had a lightbulb moment at 2am last night. went to google 'dyselxia signs for preschoolers'. C1 exhibits some of them, but not all. had a conversation w Mr C in the car this morning on the way to work, and we agreed to let the new school teachers assess first.

my first sign (which I pushed away and only rem now) is when PD asked him last year to blend sounds like B and R to form BRown. he cannot do it. second bigger warning was the parent teacher mtg 1 Dec. verbal ability v good, can lead his peers in conversation. writing and reading ability nearly non existent.

we chanced upon a pen based reading tool last evening in the mall, and C1 was VERY interested.
anyone heard of, or is using ilovereading.sg materials?

call this a mom's instinct, i m concerned.

will bring him to DAS (dyslexia association of Singapore) for a formal assessment sometime in Mar or Apr next year.

Mr C thinks i m overreacting.... give it a few more months for the new school to assess. time will tell if i m right (of course i think i m now!!!)

cellow

i am a big fan of pen-reading materials, or rather T2 is. I bought the Leapfrog pen reading stuff for T1 but ends up he's the only one using. In fact he loves it so much that apart from books, i bought the world map and solar system to use with the pen too. I proceeded to buy this $2k+ pen-reading interactive encychopedia for T2 and it has been a worthwhile investment cos he reads it like everyday. but however, i have not heard or use the one you mentioned.

bbp

guess it must be that! super popular location

doggiebb,
ilovereading.sg is quite cheap by comparison then. 18 beginner's books in English and Chinese. the books are from China. Initially i was concerned abt the English standard, but wow the pronunciation is really clear. I am a stickler for good English... in fact, any language spoken fluently... tis like music, as my primary learning sense is auditory.

anyway.... ah soh sharing.

iherb is offering free intl shipping for orders over USD 40 weighing under 4 pounds. offer lasts till 31 Dec
happy.gif

cellow

when i was travelling to china quite a bit in the past, i have seen many of these pen-reading stuff and i was impressed. just that those are for mandarin reading, i haven't heard the english ones.

the leapfrog series is very good too. a very comprehensive series covering all the short vowels, long vowels, what-have-you and the pictures also emit sounds so it makes it fun reading! buying here is terribly expensive but if you buy it in the US? super affordable. you can mobilise your team members again to help you? hehe!

iherb? woohoo! i lurve! *dashes over to see now*

Cellow,
What's their reason for flying in? If it's to see the boys, it's hard to tell them no. But if it's to help you, then tell them you don't need any help. Or rather, ask Mr C to tell them you don't need any help.

Talking about ILs, I really hate cooking when my ILs are at home. Cos most of the time, I'm really just experimenting and really just winging it. Then they will come into the kitchen, stick their heads over my shoulder and ask me what I'm cooking. And I really really hate that! So that's why I hardly cook nowadays. It's times like these that I really wish I had my own space.

Cellow
Ya it’s me. I kept hitting myself with the ‘how could you have done something like that!’ stick

Chores
We don’t have a helper right, so it’s either me or him. Because it’s so not going to be me and me. He does the ironing (cos I have nothing to be ironed) and vacuuming is his cos the vacuum cleaner is his toy. Cooking and marketing- my responsibility. Other than that, everything else is shared though at different levels of intensity

Bbp / cooking
Bluebunny’s job is to watch the kids and keep everyone, including himself, out of the kitchen while I cook. Somehow someone always manages to find their way in. but that’s not it. He always likes to lift the lid of whatever pot I’m using and stir 2-3 times. I don’t like! Like I slave over it, and he comes to ‘add the finishing touches’ only! I always give him dirty looks for that.

btw does anyone have any experience with hives ("hong mok")? calla had one bout of it and may be experiencing another. doc prescribed antihisthamine which worked the first time. now we're wondering if something simpler like calamine lotion might just do the trick. prob is, it's on her face as well. CB calendula cream?

i remember my brother had it as a kid and it just went away by itself in his teens.

PB,
I did a quick google search and according to BabyCenter, one of the few possible causes may be food. Did she have anything different when the hives came out? Mr bbp had it a few years back and he always took antihistamines so can't help you out there.

Re cooking:
At least you can smack his hand if you get really irritated. I have to bite my tongue everytime it happens. If not, I'll probably end up saying something really rude.

Berries
Yes it is difficult to get into and I have been in waiting list for 1 year when finally they opened a class new class. And good thing it's near my place hehe. when I was there there are still vacancies for K1. The place is at Regency house, sommerset.

Doggiebb
Ahh Korea!!!! I still have not gotten the chance to go Hmmph!!!!

Cellow
I don't have helper at the moment so I will cook, laundry, iron while mr SD does the dishes, clean the kitchen and mop the floor. Good thing I have a 12-year old so she can shower the sister, and help to hang the laundry and sometimes mop the floor with the static tissue. The 4 year old just make a mess all day.hahaha

Pen-reading materials
I bought leapfrog's TAG. Emma loves it. She loves to play boggles too

PB
I was prescribed zyrtec and it really helps a lot. other than that I guess calamine should work or aloe vera for baby.

SD
Aloe Vera? Never thought of that!

Thanks girls for the links! Wondered about food too but don't think she had anything different

Housework
Poppy is really into mopping! So I let her!

Berries
They are opening a new branch at Safra Toa Payoh next year. That may help ease the crunch and the queues at other outlets. We were lucky when I enquired earlier this year, and only had to wait a couple of weeks. Some other people who waited too long went to Tien Hsia instead.

Doggie
Oooh so cold! Enjoy yourselves!!!!

Cellow
For household chores I just tell hb what to do. He does the ironing (like PB, my clothes don't need ironing), the dishes, and his own laundry because I already have three other laundry loads to do. The boys also love the dry magic mop (we have two!) so I take advantage of that.

SD
Yah, surprised that you've not been to Korea!

Christmas craft
It rained so hard and so long yesterday afternoon, we ended up staying at home and making stuff. Not all shown here; we also did a terrarium and some pom pom x'mas tree posters, and decorated a mini tree. It was fun and a really good way to keep them distracted! http://singaporemotherhood.com/articles/2012/12/easy-christmas-crafts-to-do-with-your-kids/

Such fun crafts! Do's paper Christmas tree on fb is cool too and I got another using kitchen rolls to make a wreath too.. But UN-arty me lack most ingredients haha *two thumbs up*

hey youpi
we did the same two crafts as well! same birthday folks think alike!

poor mr youpi - can imagine him looking at his own load of laundry and singing sad songs as he brings it to the riverside to beat it with a stick on a rock

sigh this december is moving by in a daze somehow! so tired!

bbp,
ah well of course their stated reason is to see the boys. v difficult to say 'no dun come and see the boys' rite.

chores
i made a list, and divided the chores. plus assigned cooking to my MIL, haha

Ya maybe u can go out for your well deserved glass of wine or cuppa coffee... Throw in a manicure or pedicure and a massage too! :D

we interrupt this programme to bring you news of our new fav play area! http://www.gingerbreadmum.com/2012/12/the-city-our-favourite-pretend-play-area.html

apparently from what we hear from mums who have been to 'baby boss' in taiwan, and kidzania, this one is itsy bitsy. but hey, until kidzania opens in sentosa next year, this is our fav play area!

DD
speaking of coffee.... realised today that mccafe has decaf coffee! so i had meself a nice cup of decaf iced mocha. ahhhhhhh

Thanks PB.. I've actually been drinking coffee... decaf and caffeinated cos no idea how to say decaf in kopitiam lingo haha.. Which I'm quite sure they don't have either :p

merry christmas!

coffee drinking during preg
i drank a little bit DD. everything in moderation should be ok one de.

ILs are around when my maid is on home leave
a few times i feel like exploding. but i dowan to get into a 3 vs 1 situation in the house. so i keep my peace... anyway as long as Mr C is onside, i m fine. they are only around for the time being anyway.
sometimes i think really meeean thoughts and hope as they age, they will travel here less frequently. stay away from my house and from my marriage! my house is not my home when they are around. i was thinking of hauling the boys off to my mum's for the day yesterday but did not eventually, as it will be an act of war agst Mr C, entrenching him firmly on his parents' side. no point to win the battle and lose the war.

Blessed Christmas everyone!!!

PB
You wanted the 'recipe' for the kiddy log cake right? Just get a mini swiss roll as the base. Can buy that from provision shops. Top with a spread (i used nutella), sprinkle with anything you want (rainbow sprinkles, powdered sugar to act as snow), plonk an x'mas miniature on top, and eat! Oh I think I also got the kids to smash Oreos in a ziplock and then spread these on the plate to form the 'ground'. Basically anything goes lah
happy.gif

hehe thanks youpi, but it was for a party a few days ago. no prob, we did a craft instead!

DD
'kopi zhe bueh. mai caffine'? :p

cellow
why not take the opp to go out for dates with Mr C while the in-laws are around to jaga the kids? or sneak out for some me time?

PB... U did mini log cake with our kiddos before remember? Hehe

And Kopi Soh probably would reply: caffeine Simi Lai? Kopi Mai Kopi Hoon ah? Haha

Dd
Actually is was Youpi who conducted that session at my house! I did the Xmas wreath just before
happy.gif

Are there any "close-shop-already" mummies who have building blocks to sell off?

Cellow,
You have the patience of a saint la. If it was me, I would have gone to my mom's and war be damned. To me, a day of relief at my mom's would have recharged my patience meter to tahan the ILs for a longer time. Then again, my situation might be slightly different cos I see them everyday.

Pb,
What kind of building blocks are you looking for?

Cellow,
When my flat comes, I will.

Got to clarify, I like my ILs most of the time. But tiny things really irritate me and it's times like these that I really wish I had a place of my own.

happy holidays mummies!!!

wow lots to catch up!!

re chinese
JX loves to speak chinese. she will tell me to speak chinese to her at times. i realise she is not too bad (maybe cos we dun expect anything from her at all compared to jh). i was sorting jh's p1 chinese cards and i think out of 80 cards she can do about 70 cards.

re hypy
p1 supposed to teach but most kindy actually prepare them for it. so jh already learnt his hypy. i dun really know how to teach hypy so i leave that to the teachers. the most i can do it read chinese books with him and as we are reading i ask him which sound is the word and help him to go through the 4 sounds of each word.

PB
i think i have the wooden blocks but the box a bit koyak..blocks are fine. u wan?

is kidzania opening in sentosa next year?? wow....

Cellow
yah take the chance to go pak tor!!! nowadays when my parents are back i will quickly ask hb to go for dinner....

re IL
my IL are nowadays dependent on me. i have to take care of my hb's whole families birthday dinners and reunion dinner. my mil thinks my sil and her hb are inefficient so everything ask me to do. honestly i m the busiest among them but still have to do all these things like source for venue, making bookings, coordinate with everyone...but i guess got pros and cons. though it takes up my time, now my mil thinks i m the best haha...easier for us to communicate also and at least i prefer that she comes to me instead of telling my hb things and my hb always keeps it from me.

ILs venting time
FIL gave C2 rounded kids' scissors to play with. that is ok if he supervised and taught C2 how to hold the scissors properly. but he did not.

I was working at home, hiding in the laundry room. and came out at 6+pm. C2 ran to hug me, then asked me mama where is my scissors. MIL told me on the shelf so i got it down for him.

realise he held the scissors pointing at himself.

just half hour before, I received some unhappy news abt maid's OAC being delayed and hence may have prob coming back fm PH..... plus i worked that afternoon intensely. so i was already in a volatile mood.

i lost it then.
shouted at C2 in front of MIL "WHHOO is the one who gave you scissors to play with? what a stupid thing to do?"

MIL startled into silence. luckily for FIL, he is not around.

but i should nt have lost it, spent the next half hour doing damage control w MIL. had to spend half hour pretending to listen and nod my head at appropriate times. my home is not my own la. idiotic, i wish they are gone soon.

the first thing i told Mr C when he stepped in is 'your dad gave C2 scissors to play with.' turned to C2 and said 'here... give papa the scissors' C2 compiled. phew.

so I got to Mr C first before MIL had a chance to complain abt me shouting.

even as i type, i can feel my heart beating v fast. i need sayang la and i need my own space back.

*SAYANG CELLOW!!!!!*
All this will pass too... And now MIL and FIL will know not to overstep boundaries or incur the wrath of Cellow! Can get hb to talk to them about teaching the Cs about safety precautions before letting them have anything that may potentially cause damage to themselves? And to remind them that children need to be watched over Every. Single. Second.

SY
Thanks for Snow City tix. We went yesterday and all had fun
happy.gif
Really think they should move to bigger premises and do it all up again though. This place is falling apart around itself ;\

Kidzania opens in 2014
happy.gif

Cellow
I love that blog, thanks for introducing! Will not be following her methods -- she is very ONZ hor -- but she is so funny!
happy.gif

Cellow
Aiyoh Sayang Sayang. Go have an avo shake at AV with mr Cellow!!! Scissors at C2's age? Unsupervised? Cannot la!!!

Youpi
Same! We went to snow city today and we feel it is a rather sorry state! But we were looking at it with adult eyes. Poppy loved it though. We really have to learn to look through kiddy glasses

SY
Wow jx is good! Oh yes the blocks!!! How muchie? box doesn't bother me
happy.gif

mums with 2, do you separate the kids' books? i suppose when they are older i won't, but now i try to put aside poppy's books vs calla's baby books (calla's in lower shelves and poppy's higher up). but the prob is those clothish ones - how do you store them?

happy 2013!

.... and the ILs flew home last afternoon, making it an excellent start to the new year
happy.gif

after just one morning of driving around, packing bags, unpacking bags, laundry, floor sweeping and mopping, phew i m tired. still have to work intensely this afternoon. i salute all you maidless moms! [PB and youpi come to mind immediately but i m sure there are others i forget to mention]

C1 sat outside his new school for half an hour, and was only enticed in by the teacher waving the fan remote at him. and the ikea train tracks and magnetic trains.

note to self: slowly cellow slowly. it is after all a big change for him.

Gosh silly me thought that school starts tomorrow! Thank goodness everything was already prepared. L starts next week so this week is still full time playtime for him.

Happy Cellow
happy.gif

I do have a pt helper who comes once a week lah.

Back