(2008/05) May 2008

Dolly and Icebubbles

I'm using cotton bud from Pigeon to clear it the smallest size one. But need to be careful don't hurt their nose. The best thing to clear it is their own finger, I always told my hb bb's finger is the right size for their nose. I always can't stand the mucus stay inside as if bb can't breath thru nose using mouth will cause them to have dry throat and that will lead to cough especially in aircondition.

Hi mummies,

Any ideas that baby less than 6 months no need to feed water. my brother told me according to a research report by Channel 8 news, if BB feed too much water will cause winds in stomach and mayb more seriously 惊风!?

Gals pls allow me to vent my anger here:
My BB still having lots of winds in the stomach & getting worse despite i massage to make him fart. Now i suspect it's plain water that my MIL fed him too much. Everytime BB wake up she sure make BB drink water 1st thing. Very fan lei... i feel like snatch BB back to my care.

Why old ppl got so funny funny thinks? Like Tracy's grandma wants to use BM to treat poor eyesight, ridiculouslah... My MIL 71 yrs old, stubborn and insists her own thinking is correct, just because she got 8 children & i am just new mummy?

Moony,

Hmmm ... i`m okie lah just that i feel that give birth via natural way ...then can feel mother`s ***WEI DA***

But at least my BB obtaining the nutrients ...that why sooo chubby
happy.gif

Ladies ,

I was asking my mom whether we need to give BB water . She said can give but alot ...cos since baby is drinking milk . But she said maybe abit of glucose water will be good .

Ladies ,

So have you first time mommy trying to cut their finger nails after full month ?

Thinking of ....i cannot imagine me doing it .Ahhhh...too tiny !!Any technics to do it right and not hurting our little ones .

Soooo much things to learn ....!!

Jo,

I don't know how true it is. My mum told me every woman is born with a Motherly instinct. I told her I'm worried abt handling baby, especially when I'm moving out to stay alone next time. Asking her alot of what ifs? She told me not to fret. When the time comes, solutions will come to us naturally...

I very bad cos I always think, if people like my MIL and FIL can be someone's parents and even have a son like my hubby. I believe with our knowledge, our willingness to learn, everyone of us can be great parents too. I told my mum that also. She shake her head. LOL...

Jo, Arielle, Kelcqi, jiat yu and good luck to us !

Me still around. Will be checking in hospital later today and will be induce on 28th too ! Looks like 3 out of 4 remaining mummies who have not pop will be induce on 28th.

Kelcqi is up to you to jump Q.

Might be a long process for me, if the induce for me is going to drag. I guess Singapore Gynae are short and sharp. Today I will be warded, they will insert some 'stuff' later in the evening to soften the cervix and dialate the cervix up to 3 cm overnight, mine is already 2cm.. so hopefully is easy to reach 3cm. Then tomorrow morning will start the drip to induce and the gyane actually give me 2 days to try to give birth naturally, if by Fri morning still no sign of baby then c-sect. My bb's cord is 1 round the neck and my preeclampia, aiyo .. hope everything will turn out fine !

I will only be discharge in Jun ... so till then!

Dolly,
I also use the pigeon cotton bud smallest size to pick out nose dirt if i can see them in bb's nose.

Muzicgal,
Thanks for the poncho link! I need one rather urgently for this sat so maybe i'll order this.

Ant,
When bb latch only 15mins and fall asleep, we know jialat liao...very soon have to feed again. This morning my boy also took half hour to finish 100ml BM from 6am-630am.

Last night first night without aunty and we realise my boy is very noisy!! After milk he keeps grunting and stretching cos I think uncomfy then he will end up burping up quite alot of milk on the bedsheet and his clothes! We couldn't sleep well cos of his grunting. Last night's feeding was:

945pm-1020pm : direct latch
12am : Hubby bottle feed while I express
250am-320am : direct latch
420am : direct latch
6am-630am: bottle feed

Now i going to wake him up to bottle feed again. I let him sleep tummy down and he is sleeping longer.

jo, i tried cutting my baby's nails when she's 3 weeks old. she was born with long nails but the nurses at TMC dun help to cut and i tried cutting but the nails were very soft and she's very small so dun dare to cut. ended up my sis helped me cut, and then the second week again cut. by the third week her nails were hard enough for me to try cutting. not so difficult but do it while they're sleeping
happy.gif

re: thawing frozen EBM
it says that thawed frozen EBM can only be kept for 24hours. so the 24 hours ticker starts from the moment we bring it down from the freezer to the fridge to defrost? cos it is recommended that it be left in the fridge to defrost overnight, that means 12 hours already gone, and only 12 hours left?

loomi, good luck for later! very soon you'll be joining in the talk abt diapers, poop and breastmilk lol

tracy, does sleeping tummy down help with gas? cos i've been given this advice by well-meaning aunties to help relieve my girl of gas..

am worried that if i let her sleep tummy down then next time she won't sleep on her back.

Morning all,

Finally my nipples not so sore n oso the lump has disappear lo.. i keep massaging yesterday n even though pain still let baby latch on.. it really helps leh.. after he latch on the lump bcom smaller.. den i cont to pump lo. Today i wake up no more lo.. so happy.. n milk supply gone up.. juz now i pump 1 side was full bottle think more den 150ml den the other was ard 120ml.. =) thanks to last nite's papaya fish soup oz i 2 days nv drink tat as i'm sian of it.

Jo,moony:

I oso feel very depress whwn i need to go for emerg c-sect.. sum more i already suffer for 12 hours, dilate till 8cm.. but for baby's safety got no choice but to c-sect lo.. but now really feel beter coz see baby healthy n the wound has recovered.. so dun worry too much Jo.

I still haven't do baby's birth cert yet coz that time i delivered over the weekends n mon is a public holiday.. so TMC cannot do.. maybe this week will go to ICA to get it done lo.. anyone noes the chinese names rite, will it be printed or we haf to write ourselves? coz my n my hubby chinese character not very nice lo.. haha.. Heard that TMC use computer leh, if it's true den i rather pay more n go back TMC do lo.. hehe. Does baby needs to follow as well?? wat do we need to bring along?

re: milk collection shells
if we use milk collection shells to collect leaking BM when expressing or latching on the other side, the milk collected can be used? that means the milk collection shells must be sterilised too?

Hi,

Finally i have time to log on. For my second child, i have less time to let him latch on directly, so i don't have enough for him , then i have to supplement. Cos i need to play with my elder child and she is so whiney when i breastfeed. I will see how long i can continue breastfeeding. Any mummies facing the same problem?

icebubbles,

it's normal that some babies drink every 2hrly. So dun bother about ur MIL.

Your weight okay. I only lost 9kg after 1 month+ and still have 4kg more. LOL. I already give up on my weight loss. Now only hoping my hips and tummy tighten (cos after 3 kids..abit loose skin...lol).

RE: Baby girl
She is finally hitting 4kg. No wonder my arms hurt carrying her last nite. She "wayang" and refuse to sleep until she had her 2nd dose of milk last nite. She still drinking around 80ml - 100ml only. Heehee. She is going for her injection tomorrow morning. Will update the price tomorrow.

jo,

You not "useless" mummy okay? Sometimes it's good to listen to gynae when they say too big and scare u can't do natural. It might cause baby distress instead. You made a good decision based on the facts. =)

Kelcqi,

I wanted to upload a recent pic of my darling but hor...the picture too big. I dunno how to downsize it.

Cheri,
Dun worry abt the weight loss...I also stagnant after losing 9kg. =P

Moony,

For me, I think those women as long give birth is consider "wei da"!!!

Vel,
ICA now can use software to type the chinese characters also. think they juz change recently only. I did my gal birth cert last wk.

Lynn,
My PD recommended the tummy down position to help with the gas but I'm wary about this position as there is a risk of SIDS. So I'm only putting him in this position in the daytime. I just changed his teat to NUK but fitted on a Pigeon bottle. So far he burped once and didn't regurgitate his milk. I shall try the NUK again for next few feeds see if it really helped prevent him getting wind in when drinking milk. Cos I notice that for the Avent and Pigeon teats, his mouth doesn't close fully on the teat so air can enter, while the NUK he latch on fully like on the nipple.

For the breast milk collection shells, I do sterilize them. And yes, I do save the milk that leaked into the shell.

I not sure if the 12hours that you take down the frozen milk from freezer is included in the 24hours. But within this 12hours the milk so frozen and not completely thawed. So still consider frozen? I not sure, but I guess the best way is to try out one pack, then taste the milk before you feed. If in doubt I always smell and taste the milk first.

Tracy,
My bb also sometimes latch on for only 10+mins b4 pullin her mouth out. But i will wake her up n latch her again til she start suckling again. Wil try to have her suckling for abt 30mins b4 i satisfied that she have enough to tahan for 3-4hrs b4 until the nxt feed. Mayb ur bb gets too cozy n comfortable, so want to slp once not feelin hungry. can try "disturbin" him so that he will continue to suckle till full. =)

vel,
my hubby also just went down to the hospital yesterday to register for bb BC
me n bb did not follow

remember to bring both parents ic, original marriage cert, doc letter of live birth
bb chinese character is printed out de =)

for the bb bonus, remember to fill up the form and sign, plus bring bank book

thats the case for me, dunno is tmc different from east shore or not

btw, the BC number is now already T0814XXX

Re:Breastfeeding
thanks ah
i hvnt given up on BF yet
still perserving
i will jia you de

btw, do u all experience leaking when u are pumping the other breast?
i pump one side, the other side dripping...
is it normal?

hi tracy,

are you using the standard or wide bottle for pigeon ? i also feel like trying with NUK teats but i am using pigeon wide bottle and Avent bottle, so not sure if the teats can fit into them.

hi vel ,

i did my boy birth cert im TMC as well, and they will use computer to print out the chinese character on the birth cert, no need to write. you will need to bring ur marriage cert, both parents ic and can also do the baby bonus claim there. No need to bring baby along.

hello ladies

tracy
my mum said if bb keep grunting, it's a sign that they are growing well.. she said cant complain infront of bb that they make alot of noise. if not, they will slow down in their growth instead..
i dun believe my mum when she said that.. so i told my #2 not to be so noisy when sleepin.. then true enuf, after she passed her full mth.. she din grunt anymore.. but she gain weight very slowly.. unlike my #1 who hit 10kg when 6mth old.. my #2 hit 10kg when 11mth old..
so now my boy grunts, i juz keep quiet.. last friday weighs him at day19.. he's 5kg liao
happy.gif

kelcqi
u can add my blog at www.precious-babes-of-cheng.blogspot.com
happy.gif

vel
must do birth registration within 14days leh.. better do it fast

jo/lynn
i can take care of bb, clean their buttock etc etc.. but i dun dare to cut their nails.. their fingers so small.. once i cut my #1 fingernails.. think i cut too deep, suddenly she cried.. scare the hell out of me.. after that i dun attempt in nail cutting anymore.. always ask my mum to help me... :p

icebubbles
the other side drippin is normal.. when dripping, it's call the let down reflex. maybe u want to buy breast shells to "catch" it.. so it wont goes to waste?

poky,
last night, i latched him 30mins on one side and tot was enough liao. Who knows, one hour later he wan more milk! Mine really sleepy head. Only way to wake him is remove his diaper. You tickle him etc, he jus grin at you in his sleep! Cannot help but laugh at him.

Dolly,
I have one Pigeon wide bottle and 6 pigeon narrow neck. The narrow neck I actually use for pumping and storage of EBM in fridge but it can fit the NUK. The pigeon wide neck, I gotta go buy the NUK wide neck teat to try. Cos this wide neck pigeon bottle I bought is not the usual. I mad lah, abit paranoid over the BPA-free stuff so i specially went Taka to buy pigeon bottle made of PP material for boy to try out. Only Taka and i think Isetan have this bottle.

This friday i going TMC, will drop by pharmacy buy the NUK teat for wide bottle see if can fit my Pigeon bottle.

Pooh,
Oh really ah? :p Ok ok, I shall not complain then. So far we didn't complain, only tell him to 'shhhh'. But it's REALLY noisy at night! Lucky my big gal is sound sleeper so she not affected but hubby and I are! I wonder how aunty handled it!

So now your boy grunts? At night? Do you ignore him? I keep waking up to see wat he wants. I worry he choking on his regurgitated milk.

RE : Wind in bb's tummy

Rub Ru Yi Oil on palm till warm then apply on bb's tummy. After that, use a nappy to wrap ard bb tummy (overnite). This wld get rid of the wind better. Applicable to toddlers also
happy.gif

tracy
my boy now also grunt alot.. daytime he also got make noise.. but maybe at night, more quiet.. his grunting becomes more obvious.. hb sleep with his hands on his ears. he say cannot stand his noise.. haha
becoz my boy co-sleeping with me on my bed, when i sleep, my eyes is like half closed only.. i also worry he choke on his regurgitated milk..

sometimes i latch him, he will suddenly cough non-stop.. i think my let down too fast for him to handle.. esp my left breast one.. u know of any ways to slow down the flow??

tracy,

can you try for the wide bottle and let me know ? if not, then i think i will go and buy a NUK bottle to try .. but they have so many types, which is the recommended one ?

Yaoyao mum- I saw the news too. Nw dun dare to gv my boy water liao. my mum also got the tinkin tat bb has to drink water but after she saw the news, she stopped givin liao.

Tracy- my boy also smtimes latched 1 side thn fall asleep n no matter hw I wake him also no use thn 1 hr later he cries again. Ytd he refused to sleep til 1am thn woke up at 330am. I latched him both sides n he slept til 630. ended up I only managed less thn 4 hrs of slp =(

Pooh,
Below is an xtract from the TMC parenting Bks.. got one of the bf position, meant for those who let-down too rapid.
"On ur back
Lie on ur back with pillows under ur hd. THen place ur bb with his face towards ur breast, his mouth opp ur nipple n his body across ur chest n tummy. Then supports his head with ur arm to feed him. Use this method only if the let-down is too rapid as ur baby may be unable to coordinate suckling n swallowing."

Hope this help u. =)

Tracy,
did ur boi suckle n swallow regularly during the 30mins?? My gal sometimes suckle liao. then stop for a long time without any motion,, like slpin with the nipple stil in her mouth. then she always hungry v fast despite latchin on for 30min to an hr. =( now, when latchin her, if she not sucklin or swallowing for some time, will tickle her jaw to make her continue to suckle n swallow. =) i find this work for me better for most times. =)

Pooh,
Same advise given on kellymom website. To position your baby in a different way, against the flow.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Dolly,
Sure, will try and let you know. Nuk has wide neck and narrow neck and glass bottles. Wide neck is better cos easier to add FM powder inside. Glass bottle only avail in narrow neck i think. This is for those who are concerned abt BPA.

Nuk also has both silicon and latex teats. Latex teats softer but not as lasting so gotta change often. I prefer latex teat, but looks like the wide neck bottle only available in silicon teat.

http://www.nuk.com.hk/english/product.php?module=feedingtime&subsection=bottles_NUKPREMIUMCHOICE&product=4008600-660620

Poky,
First 10mins he suck vigorously and swallow. subseqeuntly he will suck suck suck, rest, like comfort sucking. Then when I have letdown, he will start to suck deeply again and swallow. Sometimes if he's hardworking, he will suck well for 20mins on one side and 10mins on the other and this can last him 2hours plus!

RE: Registation of Birth Cert

so it's all computer printed la.. i see.. think haf to do it within a mth rite coz my fren did it when her baby 3 weeks old.. but muz both me n my hubby go together? anyway if muz i oso dun mind la, coz can go out walk wlk during my boring confinement ma.. haha..

Pooh,
No leh.... the bk got no eg pic on this position.... guess it jux bb "sprawling" on top of ur body ba.... not too sure....

smurferoos,
I'm facing the same problem too. elder daughter is seeking attention so not much time to latch on or express. and worst thing is, im suffering from very very sore nipples......

icebubbles,
whenever i express, i face the same problem too. so i guess its normal.

muzicgal, saw your boy's pic just now, his eyes really look like yours :)

icebubbles, i dont have enough BM for my baby so the CL adds in 1 oz of FM for my baby just to make sure he is full..as long as the baby has some BM, better than none at all..

vel, either your hubby or you can go and register the birth cert but must fill the form completely first and must present original I/C (both the parents)and original marriage cert for verification. also, for the chinese name, needs to know the hanyupinying so that the registrar can find the chinese characters for you and you have to check if thay are correct before theyprint on the birth cert. The birth registration prodecure given by the hospital stated should register your baby's birth within 14 days including weekends and public holidays.

Dolly,
How do we clean mucus from bb’s nose? This morning I also notice mucus in my son’s nose. It looks like a rather big piece of semi-dry one in one of the nostril, not the watery type. I was at polyclinic with him then, to test his jaundice level, and at the same time ask doctor. Doctor says don’t clean wor, when it dry up, I will come out on its own. If we clean it, we will hurt bb’s delicate nose. However, I am not sure if the mucus you talk about is the same as the one my son has.

Ant1712,
My hb is a light sleeper. As I am on maternity leave, I will attend to bb at night. Sometimes, when bb “ek ek ek”, I will carry him to the living room, so as not to disturb my hb, coz’ he needs to work the next day.

Icebubbles,
My son also hiccups a lot, and there are also some discharge from the eyes, but doc always say never mind one.

Vel and Diamondust,
I lost 9 kg in 2 weeks, still got 4 kg to go. I think the massage does help to bring down the water retention and expel some gas. My tmuumy, is also significantly tucked in. However, there is still this extra tummy loose skin, which I do not know what to do with. Maybe after confinement, should do more sit up to tone the loose skin into muscle ... ?

Jo,
Cutting bb finger nails, I read some where, saying do not cut, but file it when bb is sleeping, because bb nails are soft and usually not very long.

Loomi,

Good luck to you huh! Keke... This morning contractions again. Urgh... Then 1 hr later stop. I wonder what is wrong man! My baby's head engage liao, why still all the contractions???

Later going to see Gynae. See what he says. Hopefully he won't suggest me Induction...

Icebaby,

What do u use on your com to view pictures? You have Paint in your Accessories section? If u have, use that to open the picture, then go to Image, Stretch/Skew. Click on the desired percent, start with 80 percent, see that size u can upload or not, if still cannot, then slowly reduce loh.

Pooh,

I add you into the link liao. Hehe... I realized something. Your #1 looks like you alot. If you haven change much from the friendster pics lah...

icebaby ,

Ya ...the most important is baby is well and healthy . Kekeke ...as time pass i`m getting to excited to see my BB .

Loomi ,

Anyway we both jiayou jiayou tomorrow ...keep updated here after our BB birth .....!! All the best
happy.gif

Any one has suggestion/method to shrink the waistline faster ?wondering how to shrink the 30inch tv to a 25inch one without too drastic drop in wgt. I cant rem how long did i take to get back to my usual after my first preg tho....jus a bit gan cheong as i managed to flatten 85% of my tummy to normal after massage and only intend to lose anr 2-3kg by mid/end Jun.

Trim nails
I am using Pigeon scissor to trim bb's nail more easy to control but still need to be careful not to cut them.

BB sleeping at nite
My girl also making a lot of noise while sleeping last nite.

Hiccup
I notice that normally after or before they hiccup BB will shit.

LC contact @ TMC
anyone have their contact can give me? I need to check with LC regarding BB latching with sound as I tot they are not suppose to make sound while drinking. As I afraid bb suck in wind while drinking my milk.

Thaw milk
My friend told me that the 24hr start from the milk completely defrosted... But normally after you bring down to defrost you are plan to consume it within the day right so should not be a problem that the milk will be spoil.

Re: Birth Cert

Alright.. think i will still go wif my hubby this sat.. keke.. stay at home really bored leh.

Weight Lost:

I'm really afraid that my weiht will reamin like tat leh.. i still got 8kg more to go other den the 11kg lost. dunno wat to do to encourage more weight lost leh.. i already eating very little. Will massage help in weight lost too??

My baby sumtimes will refuse to latch on i'll feed wif EBM.. i'm really worried tat after confinement since my mum not there to help me i might gif up latching.. juz pump only. but if pumping regularly will the milk supply drop??

Really wan2 to go back to work asap leh.. but dun dare to tell my hubby coz he wans me to go bak only after 6 mths. i dun dare to rebel lo coz if not he say i dun love baby.. =( think i'll juz haf to wait..

I really dread my stretch mark lo.. it's so awful obvious.. think i will haf to say byebye to my bikinis.. asked my gynae she told me it will gradually lighten n turn into silver white colour leh.. not so obvious.. dunno how true or she juz consoling me.. haha

mrscheong:

how u measure ur waist?? coz when i'm preggy i measure at the belly button there leh.. more lioke i'm measuring my tummy not waist lo.. so now if i wan2 see the diff shld i measure my waist or my tummy??

Peace,

i didnt really clean the nose or the mucus until yesterday the PD highlighted to us. She asked us to use fine cotton bud to clean on the surface area only, but have to do it very gentle, if not will cause the nose to bleed as it is still very sensitive. My boy also got a big and hard mucus right inside, so my PD also given me a type of spray, called Nasal Hygiene (Sterimar) to spray inside the nose, it is supposed to soften the mucus and when my boy sneeze, it will come out on its own, or it will flow down into the throat... This evening my hubby tried to spray for my boy, and seem like it works .. cos the big mucus seem to be gone.

mrscheong,

same same .. i have lost quite alot of weight, just that my tummy is still there, so ugly.

anybody heard tat sugar cane juice can dispel "heatiness" in the baby? cos CL said my baby's prolong jaudice and poor feeding is due to heatiness in the body and drink a bit of sugar cane will help. at first we all dun believe her and still bluff say the pasar dun sell sugar cane.
then this morning, when my mother bring the baby for sunbathing, a very old ah mah also said my baby drinking very little. and should drink sugar cane to dispel the "poison" or the heatiness in the body.

dunno true or not.

poko
remember you were saying tat you make ur baby latch on successfully after 3 or 4 weeks? how did you do it? can teach me pls?
now i try to latch on my baby, he either cries/protest or just pretend to fall asleep on the breast. really at wit's end liao.

Back