(2007/12) Dec 2007 MTB

Eve... just keep reminding your child to chew. my girl also eat rice with soup sometimes.. I keep asking her to chew and show her the action. now she just do it for most food
happy.gif

eve, she was also "holding" on and off when she was 5-6 months, then she did the same thing and played with her bottle. so we stopped. recently, we asked her to hold again and she held. no training at all. but of course she started off shaking her bottle. but i'll stuff into her mouth when she does that. sometimes, she'll drink, sometimes, reject. but more recently, she'll hold and drink on her own! we are surprised too! babies are just so unpredictable. but i guess, the key is to keep giving.

when we give her rice, she'll chew cos i think she likes the texture. but we make sure the rice is soft. we started off giving her pearl / jap rice cos it's soft and gluey. but last sat, went to my SIL's house and gave her "hard" rice and she seems to take it quite well. then on sun, i tried brown rice... ok too... no indigestion.

QJ started holding his own bottle about 1-2 months ago. Before that, we always held it for him till the last drop ... it didn't occur to me to let him hold it himself (duh!)

Mealtimes strikes!
QJ has been rejecting his porridge for about a week now. At first, he was ok if it was a spoonful of soup followed by porridge but these last few days it was zilch! Tried rice and soup and he took just a little. He even rejected his favourite cereal & cheese in the morning. Only thing he ate was yoghurt, biscuits, nibbles of bread and milk. I hope this is a passing phase and all will be back to normal soon. Sigh.

Tub,
Is your rice prepared like what we adults normally eats? I have not tried that on Kyrell but would like to intro it to him.

Re : Holding own bottle
I'm glad tat mine has been holding his own bottle since 6 mths. But we will still hold on at the edge if he's too tired or when we are outside, worried he will drop it heee... Somethimes, he will take out and talk then put it back. Or twist and shake it. Guess its normal for them to play but I will remind him not to
happy.gif

Oh Kyrell likes to drink soup too, during meal time, he will tell me if he wants "soup" or "eat"/"mum mum" his food de, very funny!

self hold btl: sr does dat oni at my mum's. when she's wif us .. haa... i latch her for milk.. and its water that she will use btl .. will hold oni awhile too ..
she oso cant drink frm straw leh.. been trying to teach her but whenever give her the straw she starts chewing on it..

hi all
happy new year! just got back from penang, now all 3 of us sick. i was so sick on saturday that i couldn't get off the bed. uggghhh... viral fever. brot to pd...shawn had throat infection. poor kid that's why his appetite wasnt fantastic for the last week. so i hadn't brought him to the new school yet. his weight dropped a little so need to pump up now.

shawn has been eating rice. veri little gravy, in fact when we were back in pg, he ate what we ate, like pork knuckles in the dark soy sauce too (minus the sauce) when there is no soup,i put a bit plain water to make his rice a bit softer. ya.. i couldn't be too picky about all this liao since we were back, just make do with whatever there is.

<font color="aa00aa">ladies,
thanks for the wishes.
i too hope he rocovers soon.
poor boy..
yup i did apply the cherry chest rub on his chect and back and feet especially before bedtime.

mimeole, deerdeer,
i send faiq to amiral country club..
its at sembawang..
convenient for me n hubby cos since we are at admiralty its quite near us.
btw i heard from my fren there is an infant swim class at the new sengkang pool.
my fren sent her kid there.

tub, jeelomeelo,
i hope all babies n mummies get well soon!!!</font>

lynzi,
hope faiq is recovering well. it may time.. hang in thr.
as for the swim class.. sengkang is near. ani chance u cld get the detail/cntct nmbr for tt frm ur fren? wld greatly appreciate it.
happy.gif

jeelomeelo,
gosh.. get well soon. n hope shawn gains wt soon. well as long as his appetite picks up it shld be gd. tk care.

ber, usually i'll cook use 1:1.2 ratio for rice: water. so the rice ends up softer. i also use jap rice so it's softer.

val, dun worry and dun force him la. it'll pass. susu was like that for the longest time. this "pattern" will still appear from time to time.

Tub
No lah, I didn't force him. Just a little concerned that he was not eating (no hungry meh?). But guess what? It seemed he ate with a vengence yesterday ... he was back to his usual diet and came asking for 'mum mum' when we were having our dinner. So greedy.

Hope all the sick bbs get well soon!

Rice with soup:
What kind of soup did you all add in? With seasoning? Jr is still on plain no seasonings porridge. Seems like quite a few of the bbs here having a tasted of seasoned food already?

Mine don't like porridge, those mashy porridge already. He wants white rice with soup. Even mash potato aren't his favourite anymore.

Tub,
Ok noted, thanks!

Bluelily,
I gave veggie soup. Usually add celery, potato, onion, corn, carrot then sometimes add lentils or wolfberries. No chicken or pork stock yet. He has been having millets, quinoa, HT cereal and pasta so far. Not much seasoning as well. I try to give him natural flavourings from food, varieties and lotsa colours.

Oh.. jr got vegy/chicken/pork stock in his porridge. So smells fragrant. Recently he just learnt a v useful new word. Kai (open)

So now eat must ask us to kai fan, kai tv (with his vcds), sometimes kai lights.. then he'll eat.

i dunno wat happened to alexis these few days..she has been insistg on drinkg ONLY fr e left neh. no matter wat i do, she'll arch her back n wail till i offer her my left. so now wat? damn waste time man..cz she drinks whole day fr e left, i must end up expressing out e right. &amp;#*$^#$#*($&amp;#$*@#@ thanks man alexis. anyone facing e same problem?? basket, if i end up hvg lopsided breasts, i'll go aft her!!!!

bluelily, mine also no seasoning leh. just fish bone or ikan bilis/silver fish with variety of vege, wolfberry and walnut. i'll feed her the vege if they are pureed or soft enuf.

val, haha. so cute. eat wif a vengence. i can never picture my skinny bone doing that.

steffie, so farnie... different flavour? :p

tub, different flavour? hahaha 1 side banana, 1 side strawberry? :p:p:p So you cook soup specially for su lah.. not our adult soup har. What my mum did is to scoop up jr's soup 1st.. then put seasoning for adults.

coco, ya loh. Now jr's fav word is kai! He forgot how to say cat, keep, etc liao. Now everything he wants he'll point to it and say KAI! He tot kai is the universal word for take/get/open/on/want etc. Can get him anything! hahaha

aiyo... bluelily, susu's fav word now is the ang mo version of "kai". its AH-PEN or pen pen pen (read: open).

re: soup
we drink her soup. actually quite tasty without the seasoning leh. i don't add any additional seasoning. just fish bone or ikan bilis with soy bean and vege. nice leh...

i lazy to cook soup over the weekends, usually it's my mum who cooks the stock.. then freeze for weekly use. :p

ya.. so quiet her n nj... I'm busy at work but bored. wwahaha!

QJ drinks from the same pot of soup as us. I know my MIL's soup is always made from pork / chic bones or ikan bilis. Don't think there's extra seasoning.

Tub
It is really with a vengence. Last night, when I got back, he already finished his dinner + bottle of milk, and his tummy was big and hard. When we had our dinner, he came asking for 'mum mum' so I gave him some plain rice and steamed fish ... after that he ate biscuits and when we got home, he downed another 180ml of milk before he KO *faint*

Steffie
Could it be the feeding position? But so strange ah?! Haha ...

2 syllable word
While QJ's speech is limited, we are very surprised that he can say 'kwe ker'(cracker) -- my neighbour has this bunch of fire crackers hanging at the door for cny and everytime we get home / are going out, he will rush to say 'kwe ker' and point at it
happy.gif

me too, bz but bored.

val, wow! QJ really can eat wor... envious seah... and i like the kwe ker... so cute.

cocoangel
when u cook the stock with celery and onion, will the soup has a strong taste? I'm very scared cooked already, he doesnt want to eat becos of the smell.

tub,
when you cook soy bean, need to presoak first?

Hmm... now learning how to make stock from you all. Me lazy... just put minced pork/chicken into porridge only. Once in a while then made stock from lotus with pork or corn with carrot &amp; potato.

Steffietan
When i was bf my boy previously, he also had this problem. Only want from my left. Same as Alexis. I was so frustrated I just give in to him. End up the other side low supply as a result. In the end, i stopped latching and give ebm cos he was very easily distracted when latched on.

eve, i also couldn't figure if i should presoak so i soak for a while (say 1 hour) and use them. haha.

Bluelily,
He tot its magic word ah kekeke... can get everything he wants!!! must still remind him to say those words tat he already knew, later he forgets abt it...

I cook the stock over weekends myself then pass to my mum on monday, can last for rest of the week. Thats why I need to wake up early to prepare his stock+meal on weekends, no rest leh
sad.gif

One question mummies, when you put the stock in the fridge, will it be at the freezer or chiller section? If freeze liao, how to take out the portion of soup you need? wondering. I normally put at the chiller section leh.

Eve,
No leh, its smells nice, fragrant. Use white onions, its not as strong as the purple ones
happy.gif

I have tried putting in parsnip and red capsicum before, my boy still take so I assume its ok.

hi ber, wat i did for stock is, after the stock cooled down, i will put into baby cubes...then store in the freezer...recently i learnt from zoe tay "wuahaha from tv lah", she says put the appropriate amt of stock into ziplock (per meal) and then keep into freezer...

hope this helps...

Pretty,
OIC... ok got it thanks! Hehe... I will do that. At least can put my baby cubes into good use. Then when you need it, you put the required cubes into the warmer?? My mum hse dun hve the warmer leh...
Wat about if we use zip lock bags??

valeriet &amp; eve,

ya, very weird la..(n v irritatg too!) e position hasnt been changed or wat ..everythg is e same..i just cant fathom..jus last nite..she wanted to b nursed so badly (i thot ho sei can let her drink fr e right) ..but in e end, she din allow herself to b tricked. =(

aiyo... i'll prepare her dinner everyday. dump everything into slowcooker in the morning, then come home can eat liao. in sch, she kuai kuai takes porridge that we prepare the night b4.

ber, i freeze using ceramic bowls. dun dare 2 use ziplock cos dunno wat kind of plastic. baby cube is a good idea!

Tub,
Aiyoh must be tiring to prepare meals everyday after work! Dump everything into slowcooker? Like uncooked mixed veggies and meat all in with the rice? Hmm used ceramic bowls then cover with?? Shrinkwrap? If the bowls are of average size then will take up quite alot of space in freezer right?

cocoangel,
i used zip lock bags once. usually i put into ice cubes or baby cubes. Will take out a few cubes that i need and put directly into the cooker for it to melt. Shd be ok bah.

ber, i mix the fish bone, ikan bilis with the veg. for rice, i'll cook when i reach home. quite fast/

am reading all abt the freezing of stock etc...just wondering, how many baby cubes of stock is needed to cook 1 meal? Coz if to last whole week, seems like a lot of baby cubes leh.

Also, how long do you boil your stock for? What I usually do is just put the chicken / pork into the porridge and boil. Also smells nice lah..hehs.

No need to use baby cubes. I use those baby jar bottles for freezing stock. It's glass.. so no need to worry abt plastic. 1 jar for 2 meal of porridge which i cook together.. just nice! I use the cubes for freezing vegy only. I'm a lazy mum! Fish I also cut into daily pieces then put in freezer. Thaw the night b4. :p

Wanna ask, besides threadfin, what other fish is suitable for bbs? Izzit codfish?

bluelily, i only tried threadfin and cod. dun dare to try salmon yet cos worried about the toxins. hehheh worry about everything...

bluelily
i gave salmon already. havent tried cod yet. also gave those tiny white baits twice. so far only these 3 types.

I think I'm quite lucky cos Mon-Fri, QJ eats at my inlaw's place so the maid cooks for him. I only need to go marketing on Sat and buy the whole week's supply of veg and fish. For veg, I leave it to the maid to use whatever amount is needed. Sometimes she uses other veg she has at home too. For fish, I cut into meal size and freeze them then bring everything over on Monday.

On weekends, I cook his porridge in the morning which he will eat for lunch and dinner.

Fish varieties
I have given threadfin (most often), cod, sea bass fillet (I buy the large marine ones, not the table-sized ones), batang.

Sometimes, we will feed him whatever fish we have for dinner too if he comes asking for food.

Eve,
I read from internet, that we can freeze the soup into ice cube tray, shrinkwrap it then when its frozen, remove and put them into bags (i pressume its ziplock bag), does any of you do tat? I was thinking of doing that and throw in necessary cubes into the slowercooker when its meal time. Can? Or need to thaw first?
And, the ice cube tray mentioned, is it the normal tray we use to freeze ice cubes? Are they safe?

Bluelily,
I have also given codfish. Salmon, once only, bits and pcs when at Ikea. Like tub, also worry abt giving Salmon hehehe...

CSI,
I also feels tat if we used the baby cubes to freeze stock, will gonna need alot of the cubes cos mine is the 1 OZ de, I think my bb drinks abt 2 OZ (or more) per meal, if prepares for a week's supply then I will need more then 10 cubes liao!! kekeke..

bluelily,
1 baby jar for 2 meals of porridge? Sorry ah, I dun quite understand....coz when I cook 2 meals of porridge (1 cup of grains), I need about 1.5 cups of water leh...so 1 jar sounds little to me. Is there another way to cook it?

BM to FM:
Succeeded!! Spoon fed Emma some FM, then she gulped down 100ml last nite! Repeated again twice this morning, so in total drank 150ml. Phew! Don't need to express like mad now. I AM FREE!!

Cocoangel,
Only ever tried freezing soup stock in 1oz and 2oz baby cubes. Each meal use 1-2oz, the rest top up with hot water. But I make sure the soup stock is super yummy by throwing in lotsa carrots, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, corn etc. Hee, gotta chase my hubby away from drinking it.

Bluelily,
cod is very good. Oily fish, and just a small piece can make baby porridge very fragrant, so no need to add soup stock. Hm, I like you, will freeze some of my food beforehand ;p

ankh,

yah...I understand what you mean...hahaha. I also decided to stop pumping last week. Now only direct latch on at night. Felt free...no need to rush here and there during office hours, no need to lug pump. haha. But also felt a bit sad, coz have been going to the room to pump for close to a year liaoz, also got some "feeling" with that room...(mad already). hahaha...

btw, for soup stock, you top up with hot water...won't that sort of dilute the stock? Will be just as yummy? or taste diluted?

ankh,

congrats!! so happy for u! i have also been feeding dylan FM occassionally to get him used to it. He finished 120ml in one sitting earlier today - i could barely believe my eyes! But that wasn't quite enough and he had to latch on an hour later for another feed. What brand of FM are you giving Emma?
happy.gif

csi_fan, the 1 jar of stock is only for the taste. So will still need to add more water for the porridge. But cos my mum make the stock quite concentrated (she cook whole pot of ingredients with some water, then take the stock up, then add more water n seasoning for adults), so the porridge still got fragrance.
happy.gif

What is cod fish in chinese/hokkien har? Gd.. then I got more selection. Cos threadfin fish my place sometimes dun sell.. v troublesome to buy.

ankh, haha.. i read from bottom up.. tot u preg so ppl congratulating u! :p

bluelily,
oh...i see i see...ok ok. Now I understand better.
To prepare stock, must boil for quite long is it?

cod fish = xue yu (snow fish). yah, exp fish...
sad.gif
and there was one point in time, there were reoprts that some fishmongers were selling fake cod fish (passing off cheaper fish as the exp cod fish).

Oh.. thks for translating! Yeah, I rem that news abt fake cod fish too.

csi_fan, dun think my mum boiled for long. Maybe just slightly longer then normal soup cooking. Then she buy those pork bone.. 1 big piece kind.. think it's the thighs? or leg.. or something.. supposed to have calcium.

Back