(2007/09) September 2007 MTBs

angel, dodo,
really ah? my gosh, sarah screamed bloody murder when she got any kind of injection.... oh oh.. the worse is yet to come then...

emily, heavy doesn't mean better :p

my boy is 7.7kg, i am a bit concerned he overweight even. heehee

Pd says he has the weight of a 7-8mth old baby.

Hi Emily,

No worries!! My En En is only 6++kg at 5mth plus..Haha..But she really knows how to "absorb" nutrients from her food. She does not grow fat, but have solid calves and 2 teeth already.

emily, angel & justme,

ya that's what the PD told me leh.. and i noticed my boy only fidget for his 6-in-1 jab but cried so loud for the pneu jab till im all teary as well...

my boy was 7.7kg on his exact 4th month... all his weight, height and head circumference on 75th percentile, so quite average bah...

emily,

ya agree that big doens't mean good.. so no worry k... saw edison's photo at mother & baby mag, he's indeed a very handsome boy!
happy.gif

Hi all,

I managed to find a similar ice cube tray for the puree at the provision shop near my school. $2.50 only!! No need to travel to Isetan!!

Re: Puree
My gal has taken carrot, apple, pumpkin, banana and brocolli till date. I have concluded that brocolli puree tastes HORRIBLE(i tasted it myself) although my gal prefers it over pumpkin. Apple puree is her favourite!!

Re: Preparation of puree
Can we peel off the skin of sweet potatoes, apples and pears when we steam them? I have been peeling them off b4 i steam. Will there be a lot of nutrient lost?

Hi dodo,
Ok, thanks
happy.gif

Maybe Edison is like daddy & mummy, not very big size also... He is on 25th percentile..

Hi Poohwei,
So fast got 2 teeth liao!
happy.gif

Hi Emily,

Yeah!! And we have given her teething biscuit!! She loves her teething biscuit!! Got "deep marks" on the biscuit somemore..cos she has teeth already.

Re: Sitting Down
While she got teeth already, she still cannot sit unassisted!! She refuses to sit down! Even in her exersaucer, she will stand in there for 30 min...How? How to train my gal to sit?

Hi ecookie,

You still looking for Friso 1? I got 1 tin to let go. I stay in Redhill. Got it as "standby bottle" in case if i got no BM. Managed to perserve for 6mth!! So can get rid of it liao!!

Dear mummies,

My boy is only 6.9kg and 64cm at 5 mths 1 week at the 45 percentile. So worried cos he only put on 100g and 1cm since last chkup 1 mth ago. Is it normal?

For those feeding cereal,
1) Do you replace 1 meal time with only cereal cos my boy will refuse to drink the remaining BM after taking cereal. That was instructions by PD to feed cereal on top of normal milk intake but doesnt seem like he can drink more.
2) If we use FM to mix with cereal, isnt it wasted if we make like 180ml, use 40ml to make cereal and then baby refuse the rest of the FM and need to throw remaining FM cos can't keep for more than 1 hr ya?

Pls advise...
happy.gif

Hi. Caelen is also growing very slowly now. He is 7kg at 5 months. Now coming to 6 months and the last i weigh him, only 7.1kg - 100g every month.

Poll: I have a friend thinking of setting up online bookstore. Can help give your opinion on these website names?

1) Booksbabieslove.com
2) Thebuddingreader.com
3) Babybookhut.com
4) Littlelearnerbooks.com

hi mummies,
finally gave apple puree to nynke. i forgot that peeling of skin is done after steaming leh...is there a difference on nutrients loss? btw, nynke loves the puree...yippee...

Miraclecraz: Actually loads of working mums have their kids in Playnest. They get a helper/grandmother to bring the kids. In fact, I'd say more than half of the kids there have working mums. There are quite a few helpers in my bb's class - they can all sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in Mandarin, put me to shame really!

poohwei, the bb first food say tat retainin the skin while steamin can retain more nutrients so i steam my apples with the skin on then aft tat then scrape off lor..
happy.gif

peapod i like no. 2..
happy.gif
hee

miraclecraz,

i feed my gal aft her milk.. i'll give her the cereal aft like 1.5 hrs.. then she can finish both her milk and creal
happy.gif
but i dun give so much cereal lah.. like 2-3 table spoon.. cos just started not long... so i'm still at the tastin stage.. introducin diff kind of fruits and veg to her..
happy.gif

peapod i like number 3! =D

high5 ecookie. my bb was 7.8kg, 65.5cm at 4 months. now never weigh. this friday 5 months. was 75th percentile too.

re jabs: ben has only wailed 1 loud wail for the two 5-in-jabs. now i fear for the pneu jabs. see how things go la.

Hi ecookie,

Yes, it is unopened! Which part of Redhill are u staying at?? I stay opp the train station. Is $20 ok for u? PM me?

Re: Puree
I just made 2 batches of puree: Apples and Carrots. Think must use more ingrediants liaoz cos only managed to make 6 cubes of apples and 4 cubes of carrots with the new ice cubes. Wanted to make sweet potatoes (the purple type) but my mum actually gives her fresh ones when they eat porridge. Apparently, my mum has given her some porridge too. So my gal is like a rubbish bin now. She took porridge, brocolli with cereals, apples and sweet potatoes today.

Re: Juice
If i make fresh fruit juice, must i dilute with water?

Thanks mummies ... for all your comforting words. I am learning to take things easy now and I just pray for God to give me strength and wisdom.
happy.gif

On weight ... just weighed Jordan ... he's 8.7 kg now at 5 months+. Didn't put on much from last time ... so should still be in 75th percentile.

PEapod: I like number 2

On weight: my girl is in the 25th percentile.

Can u girls advise whether i shd take bb for pneumoc jab?

Its like choosing between the devil and the deep blue sea...one hand, its risky not to take, other hand alot of reports from the States say that its not good...im confused.

Hi Justme,
My boy is 6.9kg, 64cm at 4 mths. He's at 50th percentile.

Re: bottles
I just changed the my old avent bottles to Pigeon bfree bottles. It's made from PPSU.

Hi Miraclecraz,
I feed Jade her milk first then followed by cereal/puree too. Will warm up 150ml of milk, then she usually will drink only 90-120ml, then the rest of the milk i will use it to mix in the cereal/puree. Must watch the time and throw away the milk if its more than 1 hour. In any case, I always limit feeding to 1 hour coz if it takes that long then I believe she's not hungry.

This is what I got from my book - hope it helps you.
happy.gif

During the first stage of weaning, we must ensure they don't reduce milk intake too fast coz that means baby is not getting enough nutrients as all the nutrients they need is in the milk. At 5-6 months, their total milk intake for the day should be a minimum of 600ml, including any milk that's used to mix the cereal/puree. If your baby is cutting back too much on milk and is not meeting the minimum, then try to reduce the solids first. Then slowly increase again once baby is taking enough milk.

Then second stage of weaning between 6-9 months, solids must gradually be introduced and increased at meal times with the ultimate goal that they're eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. Coz milk no longer can provide their daily nutritional needs of carbo, protein, fibre, vitamins,etc. So their daily feeds are something like this - Eg. Breakfast will be milk + cereal with mashed fruit, Lunch will be porridge with meat/fish/vege with a drink of water/juice from a cup, milk at tea time at 3pm, porridge and water/juice again for dinner at 6pm, then last milk feed before bedtime at 8-9pm or whenever their bedtime is. If baby is milk addict and refuse solids at meal times, then must try to cut down on milk. The minimum requirement for milk is still 600ml up to 9 months.

During the third stage from 9-12 months, we start to introduce bite size foods, meat, vege and fruits are chopped or diced rather than mashed, rice and noodles instead of porridge. Milk intake should be reduced, maximum 600ml a day. By one year, milk intake will be reduced to minimum of 350ml.

rxsti and angel,thanks for the tips! Today managed to feed bb that ONE teaspoon of cereal, haha! Realize he swallows beta in the stroller compared to walker.

I also has a Braun handheld blender, hooray! Dun have to invest $$. But have been using to blend cooking stuff, forgot the function of other accessories. Must go to malls to refresh the instructions.

Looking for food steamer. Any brand to recommend?

Hi Mummies,

I am new to the thread. May I join the discussion? My boy was born on 4 Sep, turning 6 mths soon. He is 7.1kg at 5 mths, PD said he is ok, as long as he is happy & alert. He also said that breastfed baby is usually leaner and dun ve to worry abt overweight. Only my mum & mil always comment that he is too light lor.

My boy is still latch on, he refused all kinds of bottles, avent, nuk, pigeon... i really lost what to do w him. Any advice pls.

I heard fr my neighbour saying tat breast milk is no longer nutrients after 6 mths, dun noe if it is true or not...

BabyDoll: That's nonsense! BM continues to be beneficial to your bb past 6 months for sure. Don't worry abt your bb's weight, my gal is 6.6kg and she is almost 8 mnths old.

Angel: wow, thanks for that v useful summary!

Re weight,
Jade was 8kg at 4 months and 8.5kg at 5 months. PD say she's past 97 percentile. Now almost 6 months I think close to 9kg liao! That's the median weight for 1 year olds *faint*

Peapod,
I vote for 1!
happy.gif

Hi Poohwei,
Haha my girl hated broccoli too! The book say broccoli taste very strong and some babies don't like, so when feeding must slowly mix with something they like like sweet potato, or pumkin puree to entice them to take..then slowly add more and more broccoli.

Re juice, unless your baby is constipated, its better to dilute juice with water, otherwise they develop a sweet tooth and won't take well to things that are not sweet like water.

Hi Babydoll,
Your baby is ok...healthy weight range!! Breastmilk is definetely nutritious past 6 months, in fact its recommended to breastfeed for as long as up to 2 years. But after 6 months all babies iron stores will start to be depleted and iron is essential for growth and development, and milk no longer keeps them full, so need to start taking other foods besides milk.

Re getting baby used to the bottle, try to give him expressed breastmilk from the bottle when he's hungry, he may be more hardworking then. Or if he's too hungry and flustered, he may not want to try something new, so try giving him your breast first for just a while, then halfway through feed him by the bottle. It may help if someone else is feeding him too. Coz if he smells you and see you, he knows you're there and he will want you. Try to get your mother or MIL or hubby to feed him and then make yourself disappear. Essential thing is to keep trying and offering it to him everyday, and he will get it eventually. Good luck!
happy.gif

Angel, Jordan was 8.3 kg at 5 months and PD said he's only at 75th percentile leh ... thought he should belong to at least 90th percentile ... haha.
happy.gif

Hi mummmies,

is advisable to get a blender or a Braun handheld blender? Went to Courts today wanted to get a blender to make puree but i didnt knoe which to get. As for the Braun handheld blender, which one did u all get? i saw 300,400 all cost bt $90

Back