(2007/04) April 2007 MTB

I'm thinking of going down to the Fox warehouse sale tomorrow. But it's outta way since I'm now at Jurong. Anyone going?

Btw, those who have gone earlier, are there more loots than last year?

Kate,
I'm not looking. SpringD is and she wants Central. But you're right, there's a Pat's at Lin Ah Pin road
happy.gif

Min,
I agree...for boys it's always just some top (Tee or polo or shirt) and bottom (usually shorts). For girls, the dresses are sooo cute, even I'm tempted to buy them when I have no girl!

hi ladies,

sorry for the MIA.. been busy.. i am here again to ask for help.. i know a mum from the march thread.. her NB is suffering from Intestinal Malrotation and has gone thru 3 operations in less than one week old. we jst want to help her get thru things so looking out for pple who is willing to donate, to help her out.

more of the babies illness: http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1181/mainpageS1181P0.html

anythng pls msn me.. thanks..or can pop by the march thread to donte.. thanks..

Total Damage Report

J&J Sale
One box of J&J blue wipes (no lotion & fragrance) @ 3 for $9
$36

Fox Sale
11 t-shirts (range from 3T to 6T) @ $6 each & use $5 discount coupon
$61

Taka Sale
Dun buy anything....

btw.. i read that mummies are going wing tai for fox sale.. there will be a bigger fox sale at expo starting from the 22 or 23 december. heard from my mum who sells children clothes.. jst for mummies info..

FOX sale:
look like no longer $3/pc deal. the previous sale still hv S$3/top or romper.

darbebe,
will keep u posted
happy.gif

springD,
if you recall, i had some feeding and weight problems when mine was abt a year old. well, he is very light still, but we don't have any major problems with feeding on normal days. what i mean by no major problems doesn't mean he eats an astronomical amount of food, but that he generally enjoys the process of eating. want to share with you some of the pros and cons of feeding with regards to school.

pros:
1. fixed schedules --> toddlers will learn that if they don't eat/drink between 8.30-9.00am every morning, they will go hungry/thirsty till lunch time. again at lunch time if they don't touch their food, they will go hungry till 3.30pm. eventually they will relent, and eat whatever the school offers them
2. self feeding --> toddler will pick up self feeding very fast because everyone else is doing so.
3. no need to clean up mess yourself
4. no problems with drinking milk --> toddlers will also drink milk (recall you have a milk problem with jonas) because everyone else is doing so. those using straws and cups will sit together in a table to drink facing each other, those using bottles will huddle in a corner and drink together. during all the times i have visited the school/peeped at the kids from a corner, i have never seen anyone throwing a tantrum or not drinking milk.

cons:
1. frequent bouts of sickness --> someone who starts school DEFINATELY wil get sick often in the first two months of school. get sick = lousy appetite = weight loss for abt 2 months or so. but thereafter, it's bright and cheery when toddler gets used to school routine.
2. no control over food --> one of my grouses is that food in school is too salty, but i have no control over what they serve, really
3. allergies --> no control over this too, but don't think this affects jonas much right?

**disclaimer: above are my personal opinions, must remember that i am not fastidious about rules, am generally optimistic, and trusting (about what the school tells me). my mum who's more particular abt feeding and weight, complains to no end abt school and feeding

s/w,
what an interesting and concise read
happy.gif

SpringD,
I recalled this morning that when J was really little, I borrowed and read parts of Dr Sear's Baby Book. There's a chapter in there on fussy eaters. Borrow the book and read it if that method suits you. Generally, it just says that some kids are too active to slow down for meals and their method is to cut up bite sized portions of various foods from different food groups, put it in a designated corner and the child will pit stop for food whenever he feels like it.

I obviously don't subscribe to this, preferring the "school's method" of fixed schedules. But I'm just highlighting an alternative from probably the other end of the spectrum. Also, since you're not the primary caregiver, it might be good to bring it up with her because doing both methods (confining to highchair or fixed meals) and this might just confuse your child even more!

My mom was a FTWM when I was young. During lunch, my grandma allowed me to cycle/run around the living and dining room and "refuel" after each round. But when my mom was home during dinner, she'd tie my legs to the highchair (using cotton strips...she says there was no seat belt then), and I would be forced to sit and finish my food. I could on that chair for up to 2 hours (crying, whining, etc but no much since I get whacked for that) but my mom and the rest of the family would leave me at the dining room alone when they finish and get on with their business. At 2 hours, my mom would get me and throw away what's left. She was tired too and told me she went to bed (around 9pm) soon after we did (8:30pm) during those days. All I can say for sure is that it didn't spoil my love for food...just an aversion to porridge for 16 years.
happy.gif
And after a while, I just ate faster since it was really a waste of time and really boring to be sitting there alone (no tv, no books, no toys, nothing)...I talked to my food (imaginative play!).
happy.gif

Fruits for our kids:
mummies, need ur inputs:
* how often u feed ur child fruit in a day
* if u are giving apple, pear, grapes n plum, do u just like them bite the slices or making them fine paste?
bite the slices/whole : how long they take to finish the portion?
* do u feed ur child fruit everyday?

share share hor
happy.gif

Sandwich and Dee
WOW...mega thanks for sharing so much.

Sanwich: You sure gave me a brighter outlook about school...I did think that the school might be a solution to his feeding problems and give him some discipline and 'no nonsense' training for my boy's eating habits...coz this mummy here is likely to relent and get all frustrated and upset trying to make his mealtimes work out.

Just that I need to cross this obstacle mindset first to allow my slim boy to lose weight even more for the 1st two months when he start school due to sickness or skipping of breakfast & lunch at school.. actually, kinda guilty & bad for me to say so, I also delayed the idea of starting school coz I think my boy is slow in terms of development for many areas and still dunnoe how to do alot of stuff. But, who knows on the other hand, school might hasten his development process rite? Aiya...Think I'm getting kinda confused and paranoid. :X

Dee: Your mum sure was pateint...2 hours! Anyway, I forgot to share, I was a slow & small eater since young and still is, although better but definitely still slower than most friends and colleagues at meals...just tot my boy could have inherited this from me. :p

SpringD,
my mom didn't sit with me hor... I was left alone...ostracised! haha.

I think school is a good option if the mothers can't look after and grandparents can't discipline (like my in laws :p).

Leo,
I hardly give Jesse fruits though he likes apple and banana. He also takes water melon, papaya and sometimes kiwi.

Hardly give cos I lazy to cut.

When I do give, it'll be in chunks. Sometimes I'll let him bite from a slice, sometimes cubed, just pop in the mouth, depending on whether I want to get my hands dirty or not. He can also feed himself using toothpick if it's cubed.

Depending on the size of apple, he can eat up to 1/3 of a Fuji apple a day. Maybe he'll eat some in the morning, some after lunch, some after dinner. It's a healthy alternative to cookies and puffs. And I find a good teether!

So ya, ideally, he should be eating fruits everyday. And ideally his mother should do housework but what can I say... life's never ideal :p

s/w,
I agree with what you wrote about attending school. M started attending a 3 hr programme since Monday, and the school really has fixed feeding schedule. No bib, no running around, just sit there quietly and eat. Good training I must say. Haven't tasted the food though, but I'm trusting too. I'm just waiting for the illnesses to kick in...
sad.gif

SpringD,
My mum uses a counting method with M regarding his food. If M starts to fuss about eating, she will say '5 mouthfuls and that's it'. Then she will be dramatic in counting each spoonful of food with lots of encouragement. That usually works for M, because he knows the end is near, and he will oblige. After that he will be 'rewarded' with a book or toy at his highchair while my mum cleans up.

Augleo,
My mum gives M a fruit almost everyday, but it's only during his tea break. He has some cake or bread and fruit for tea. Soft fruits like papaya and banana will be cut into chunks and M will fork them with assistance. If it's apple or pear, my mum will puree them, because M takes too long just to chew a quarter slice, and my mum is busy with housework and dinner to wait for him. When he is with me, sad to say he has no fruit because we are usually out. Unless we buy cut fruit from food courts. As for portion, 1 whole apple/pear (average size), 1 slice of papaya or 1 small 'red meat' banana. No Del Monte for him, strict rule from Wai Po.

Hi mummies,
ash is out of cc n w me full tx at hm. v busy but i enjoy his company. both kids wake up at 7am n d busy day wld start. now ash is naping, cher disturbing me. bye..

SpringD,
Oh ya, eating speed is not inheritable. My parents eat fast, but my sis and I take so long to finish our food, until now.
happy.gif
My slowness developed because I used to read and eat when young. My sister watched TV. So don't blame yourself, it's not your fault.

leo,
K eats apples, pears, kiwis, papayas, grapes.bananas so far think need to be a particular type. otherwise, her mouth will get red
usually will cut into smaller and more manageable bite size for her to eat.
she will have dinner at her usual time, then when we get home for dinner, she will sit and eat her fruits. like matt, she will try with her fork, when she cant,she will ask for help
morning time she will have yogurt

SD,
Why you blame yourself, maybe you shld consider enrolling jonas into playgrp first, then he will find the urgency. ??

cherry,
you know after having fruits, i usually ask her to brg her plate/bowl to her grandpa to wash. and she will oblige.

Ann and Mich
THANKS...guess when I get frustrated, I start to imagine and link up things which makes myself more upset.

The counting method that cherry mentioned I tried before..."just one more mouth please..." ...but when he dun wan to eat...means DUN WAN...and he will get angry, beat me or cry if I continue to try feeding. :p

SpringD,
Oh dear, J beats you? Beat him back! Sorry I subscribe to the old fashioned "spare the rod and spoil the child" theory. M better not try something funny like beating us, because he'll get it back.
The counting method only works if you and J decide on a number beforehand. Then start counting down, and last really means last. I'm sure there are other methods out there, just have to trial and error. Hang in there!

Heh...
actually, I sometimes do the counting mtd with Jesse as well. When he's having a bad day/week, when I'm tired/bored. Exaggeration seems to entertain him!

Dlim,
Oh, that sale!
Wah...I've driven there before to get my FP toy fixed. The person did tell me end of the year they'll have sale to clear old stock. *sigh* Why so far...
Hmm...but 5th is this Friday... *grin* HB on half day.

Btw, any mummy wants to go to Babies' Prom this Friday? I have a ticket to go with a couple of mummies here but this Friday is soooo tight for me and the timing (12:15pm) is right smack on Jesse's nap time. If can sell, I'll sell. If can't sell, I'm still at two minds about going.

Fruits for our kids:
mummies, need ur inputs:
D will hv 2 fruits a day.

* if u are giving apple, pear, grapes n plum, do u just like them bite the slices or making them fine paste?

If i giving oat meal.. i will puree them coz need to mask the cheese that i put in

if serve on its own.. will cut into thin slices for apple/pears

for plum.. will use those small ice cream scoop to scoop them into small round balls.

quite fast for D.
initially he reject, prefer purree. but everyday give him apple slices to try to munch then slowly he accepted it. or i eat the apple infront of him

Yes. i even cut strawberries and blue berries to bring out as snack when we are out

Fruits for our kids:
mummies, need ur inputs:

Hmmm....Mal gets 1 fruit after dinner during weekdays. Usually one piece of peeled apple/banana/payaya

During weekends, I would prepare fruit puree with wholemeal cereals (usually cranberry+apple+pear/avocado)

Gd morning mummies,

RE: Fox Warehouse
For those who have went to the fox warehouse sales, are there any gd buys for boys clothing, size 2T onwards?

D,
I went last year. Quite alot of toys to buy but some of the packaging are abit old & dirty. If
u r buying for J shld be fine.

The venue very out of the way & u need to drive in...its near to industrial side. Since HB on half day,
u can go down & take a look..
happy.gif

RE: Fruits

I feed Jayden strawberry/papaya/apple/kiwi/banana/avocado. Will cut into small pieces for him to self feed himself.
Same as D, sometimes will bring strawberry out as snacks.. his favourite fruit is strawberry!
happy.gif

I dont feed everyday but will try to if we can remember.

Beyond,
Boys clothings very few compare to girls. I took quite sometime to find for my Jay & only managed to find 3 T-Shirts!

fruits for kids:
tks for the input.

JK has 16 teeth can't eat fruits in chunks "fast".
JK takes fruit almost everyday...unless fridge out of fruit.

SD,
hv u tried massaging J, it may help to eat better.
J sleeps well? sleep thru at nights?

meet up next wk:
mummies can meet next wk, any preference on the date?

Time: 3pm to 3.30pm?
Venue : T3? any other suggestion?

augleo

chloe has lesser teeth than JK, 12teeth...slow hor...wahaha.. my mum will feed her fruits every noon as teabreak snack..normally my mum will cut into bit size for her to self feed.. oranges, grapes, strawberries, bananas...she don like watermelon, papaya, apples, pears..

min,
yes, i asked coz i cldnt remb who ask tumpang fm the spree. fm bbmall. think after shipping, the price is $7.48.
they are a bit hard to find nowadays. not sure why, though.

dlim,
i dare not give K anymore avocado since she started. i find avacodo quite be too fatty for my gal.
K only got 12teeth but i see 4 more popping out liao.
happy.gif

Michelle,
ya, avacoda is fatty but very nutritious!
happy.gif
I've read that it's okay to give children under fats...I think they mean good fats. E.g. Give full cream milk instead of 1%. So I think avocado will do no wrong lah. It's the deep fried that will...

Leo,
Timing and venue is good for me. Let me know when.

Wah...looks like the mummies here are really good at giving healthy food to their children! I must buck up!
happy.gif

J has 16 teeth, now just started teething again...looks like he'll get his last four by next Mar/Apr.
happy.gif

milo,
last time ? ages ago when we started weaning.
now no more. strictly fruits like, grapes, apples, pear, kiwis for now. and watever fruits in season.
juz need to cut into bite size, so that she can munch them. last nite, she had pear (u now li, not those green pear)

D,
K has always been at 90% so i usually stayed off avo. think she has less than 5 avo until now.
besides the 3 feeds of FM, she also drink full cream milk during tea time

Michelle,
hehe, I've seen photos of K. haha. I guess I'm just trying to say, don't worry about it for now...worry only after they hit two. Jesse's not exactly "lean mean" either! *grin*

D,
happy.gif
cant help it lah. but good news is she seems to growing taller n her weight has more or less stabilise. not as chubby now.

Michelle,
can't help what? her size or the worrying?
happy.gif

HB thinks I have a gift for not worrying. haha. Anyway, I've always thought that as long as the length and weight goes hand-in-hand, it's okay...Jesse's leaning out too, but he still has those adorable thigh lines. Still nice and squishy.
happy.gif

milo,
more teeth doesn't mean can chew well
happy.gif

some of the kids hv lesser teeth but can chew very well
happy.gif

u are moving to the EAST????

kaexin
i think K is of good size now. and very pretty
happy.gif

augleo
you can try letting him practice on 1 slice of apple or pear (which is much softer) everyday. then balance juz purre them
that what i did. so only past few days then D is willing to eat apple slices. But never know when will he start to reject them again coz he got his mood swings.

thankfully he loves fruits more than main meal

Back