(2006/01) Jan 2006 MTBs

Rachel

when i read your post about thinking alot and having the courage to take up a life changing challenge... i can identify with you.. i have recently made up my mind to take on something work related that was not initially my choice and would require some major changes to my future plans... i was quite devastated initially cos I was played out by some nasty person and that's why i had to make a decision on what to do next in such a short time.... for me the problem was work related... i was so upset i was ready to become a SAHM, not that its a bad thing but its a scary decision for me... i really took a long time to decide and really prayed hard for God to give me the courage to proceed such that i could make a decision that would not be for short term benefit but would be for the glory of his name and would suit me. I still don't know if i've made the right decision... but at least i'm at peace with the choice i've made (i still dunno if its a "choice" but i've settled on it at least)... i hope you can pray about it and come to the same conclusion... listen to God... listen to your heart ...sometimes its scary... i'm quite stubborn...hope you can find what you want...

Tabbiesus
I am sure you have thought it well and you made the right decision. Stay positive and everything will be fine

Rachel
Same goes to you. Sit down and weigh all the factors and I am sure things will work out. If you need a listening ear, I am on MC at home. Can IM or sms or even call me if you need a pair of ears.

Queen
I am sure you will be able to find your ideal job.

InnovativeLand Purchase
Sorting out the payment with Peter. His calculation differs from mine which is $4 higher so checking again.

KY
I think Cheng has sms you that our boys not able to attend the aquaducks this sunday.

May
Aden has bronchitis again. Had very high fever for 2 nights. This time he is refusing milk and water. Now have to monitor closely to make sure he does not go into dehydration otherwise he will be admitted for drip again. Sigh

Hey Rach,
troubled over stuff? U can share with us.
Btw, I have already emailed u Caleb's pic last friday. I guess u did not received, so i have resent this morning. Pls check and let me know if the pics is approriate.

CL
Oh dear, both you and Aden not feeling well? Ya maybe try giving him diluted juices. Take care. Alot of ppl falling sick in my office. My hb is down with stomach flu too. Keeping my fingers crossed he doesnt't spread to Mel. Paisei, owe you so much money. Can you pm or sms me the amt, so that I can pay you first?

Tabbiesus
Yes, just go with your heart. Sometime things may not turn out to be as bad and scary as what you thot initially. It could be a blessing in disguise
happy.gif

Re: Bronchitis

CL,
U mean Aden kanna before issit? Is he coughing badly, esp at nites? Yesterday I brot Ethan to see pd & pd suspect he got slight bronchitis symptoms. She could hear slight wheezing & phlegm in lungs. Only 2nd day but she put E on neuberlizer & prescribe Singular for 1 week. Cos during CNY this yr, E had a very prolonged cough. She also mentioned that the bronchitis bug going around. So better to stay away from crowded places.

Wenyl
Oh no, Ethan is not feeling well too. You can care too given that you're now preggy. So when is your new maid coming in?

Queen,
Great to hear that u r adjusting well to life of a SAHM! Its difficult to switch line now tat u hv been in the engrg field for quite a while. For me, I left engineering after less than 2 yrs. So its easier. My fren is still stuck to engrg but has been tinkg abt switching line for more than 1 yr. Mainly becos she couldnt accept the pay cut lah.

Flo,
The new maid should be coming in today or tomorrow. Hopefully she will be of good help to me. Cos next week going for amnio, so I really need someone to care for E for the next 2 weeks. My backup plan is to send E to my parents plc if the maid cant handle.

Wenyl
Hope you get a better maid this time to ease your load so that you can have more rest and prepare for #2.

Yup was admitted at 9 months for similar bronchiolitis. Was dehygrated so admitted for neb and drip. He was very breathless and last night he was so cold he was shivering and even turn purplish so I hugged him for a few hours. It does not help when Charmaine woke up and was having high fever too. So I am so tired now. Actually after seeing dr yday, I was busy with Aden follow by Charmaine I have not taken my medication yet.

Thanks Flo and Sep03bride for your suggestion.
As long as the milk bottle teat goes near his mouth he turn away. I gave him via syringe. Cannot force it down his throat otherwise he simply throw up. And I wont even know how much he is drinking. He will sip once or twice on this straw bottle. I tried oso using straw to pick up some and let go into his mouth but he still turn away. Even by spoon he refused. Now with nanny while I rest. Maybe he will listen to nanny more since she is his main caregiver now.

CL,
Oh dear! Its worse when all 3 is down. U must remember to take ur medicine & meals too. Else, how to care for the little ones. I tink Aden will be fine at nanny since he is comfy there. Dun worry too much! U rest now please.

Re:8th June Hightea
I have took half day leave on 8th June... hopefully no last min changes due to mth end reporting.

morning mummies..

Will be taking half day in the afternoon and head down to MT E to pick Caleb after the op. actually wat i understand from hb yesterday is that its not an op but rather an extraction of tooth so i feel slightly better. dentist said she can see the tooth. so just need to sedate him, inject to numb his gum and extract the tooth out.

Flo - no the tooth did not drop off as we expected. it went into his upper gum and its still there..one whole solid tooth and its abit infected already. so we need to remove it asap. caleb has been quite cranky in the night and in the day, he wants to be carry all the time. we are so drained out without proper sleep. really pray that later everythg goes smoothly and he can recover faster. anyway thanks mummies for all the hugs and kisses! will take care of myself too.

chicken_little- can understand the tireness you are experiencing esp when 2 kids are down. hope Aden is much better today. you may want to keep him away from swimming which my frds advise to avoid when bb has bronchitis. btw, do you or hb has asthma? coz some say its related and my hb has it.

rachel - wat is the challenging thing you are experiencing? do share with us and don't stress yourself too much ya.

wenyl - hopefully a new maid can help to solve all your problems and not create more. read in papers that they are gg to increase indo maid paid as well. wow..seems like having a maid is getting more and more costly these days.

hmmm... so much is happening and mummies here are going through so many changes...

Juz an update:-
- My new indo helper will be joining us end May, praying really hard that she'll be a kind n helpful person... so worrying...
- Eshley is not well n my asthma has been acting up for the past two weeks as well... so difficult..
- The unexpected reply came for my interview which i went abt 3 mths ago that i was shortlisted for a position that I've applied long time ago... hence, need to make a decision fast, to work or to be SAHM...
- Have previously signed up for some exams to be taken, so m now in the midst of studying for it...

CL

it's terrible when 3 of u get sick at the same time. does aden need to be nebulised? It usually helps after nebulising. I gave my boy glucose water when he refused milk and food then. I understand from my PD is that he's having a sore throat and glucose water doesn't hurt as much. Hope u all get better soon.

Rachel and Tabby
Everything will turn out better. Challenges toughen you up and mould you to a better person.

8th June Hightea

me also got month end report..not sure able to take leave or not coz boss just come back from Milan and at the same time his boss is coming.

CL,
hope u get better soon. sounds terrible that so many pple sick at the same time

rachel
feel free to share with us if u need to n when u feel ready. dun stress hor.

wenyl
yeah, hope your new helper wlil be a good help..nowadays really depends on luck whether we get a god one or not

queen
sounds like u enjoying your new life as SAHM...
happy.gif

Hi CL...

Take care......

Rachel,.
Is better to talk to someone if you really "FAN"
And I think you need a time to get use of the new challenge.....and I'm sure you will find your own way to overcome it....if you need help..we are here for you and support you.

I came to across the situation like you before...as I got no one talk to..at that time my hb was in oversea for business trip. I wake up in a middle of the night..just for cried and the next morning called to Indonesia just wanna to heard my mum voice. After that I find ok.....even till now sometimes I got stress...I will cry too because that is the only way for me to release my pressure.

I'm sure you will find your way to overcome it..
Cheerrr up with your darling Deylannnnn
happy.gif

milk intake for newborn babies
This is the formula I got from my PD last time.
(150ml * weight) / no.feeds per day

So for exampls, if baby is 3kg and feeds 10 times a day, she should be drinking : (150ml*3)/10 = 45ml per feed.

Rachel, Tabby,
I can also fully emphatise with both of u. I also did alot of deep thinking before I decided to quit teaching (after 5 long years) and took up another job. 2 weeks ago, I also had some problems with my husband and we were even talking about seperating. However, after some discussion, we decided to give us another try and so far so good. Sometimes, its important to communicate clearly with one another or small midunderstandings can grow enormously big if left uncleared.

CL,
Poor thing. It must be very tiring for u. Take good care of urself and Aden then. Don't worry abt the playgroup. Join us next time if u are unable to make it this time round.

CL
Oh Dear.. sorry to hear that both char and aden is down. Take care of yourself too ok. you have to be strong 1st to take care of them.
Hope all of you a speedy recovery.

Seems like lotsa virus around these day... wish all unwell babies, mummies get well soon
happy.gif

CL
Oh dear me. How's Charmaine now? It's a good thing that at least you have a nanny close by to help you out with Aden. Gotta make leng yang in this case for charmaine and yourself, but Charmaine cannot drink too much of it either.

Rachel
Wow, must be a challenging situation for you right now. I think for what you want to do, listen to your inner voice/heart and if it's something that requires a big commitment financialy, do give it 1 - 2 weeks to think about it and find out more if it's worth it. I think more importantly, your hb must be 100% supportive of what you want to do. Maybe can share more when we meet up on Thursday to scrap?

Oh my so many sick babies!

CL,
Sounds really bad. Do take care of yourself and your darlings! Hope you all recover soon!

Mamapanda,
You and your hb get along well, i really didn't think separation ever crossed your minds. Glad that things are well and fine now
happy.gif

Rachel,
Care to share with us what's bothering you? Do hang on and go with your heart!
happy.gif

Wenyl,
Pray hard that your new maid will be a good one! Hope Ethan gets well too!

SSF,
Yeah send Caleb hugs and kisses from all the aunties here. He'll be well soon. You take care too!

RE: S'pore version of supernanny
Anyone managed to catch that on Sat 9:30pm? I saw the advertisement for it and it really striked a chord in my heart abt the boy who refused to sleep, drink water, etc etc. Hahaha! I must really try to watch it this Sat but will be out...so i think tough. Any feedback from anyone who managed to watch it?

rachel,

if you need some advice or just some one to talk to .. do give me a call see if i can helpp... well always remember .. nothing is too diffcult for thee.. jsut pray to the lord for answers..

SL/SY,
Oh...guess maybe i can save on the toy phone then.

SY,
JW also like dat. He want us to eat his food with him. He will push the spoon towards us. After we pretend to eat, he will pull our hand....and eat from the spoon. Like want to share share. So funny.

Rachel/Tabby,
Reading both your posts made me feel that I am not alone in facing dilemma in workplace. Recently something happened at my workplace....and my boss actually hired my "replacement" even though I am still around. Got pretty upset initially....that I just wanted to quit and stay at home. But hb not comfortable with that decision. So I started to hunt for another job. Just got an offer...but it would mean a lot more hours and less time with JW. Really torn and really couldn't make up my mind.

Just had a talk with my hb....decided to give it a try. I asked hb if I really cannot cope, as a last resort, can I quit and slowly look for another job. Heng this time he is supportive...but I am still very scared coz I am with my current company for 7 years liao. It's a big chance for me....really hope everything works out well.

Hope things work out well for both of you too!

CL,
Oh no....all 3 of you down. That's really tiring. Hope you all get well soon.

SH
u got a new offer? me still looking but not very urgent cos can only leave in july. but no motivation to work now lor.

good that your hb is supportive now. give it a try first and see how it goes.

CL - Do take care! Wish the three of you a speedy recovery
happy.gif

Mamapanda - Good to hear that all is well
happy.gif
Do take care too
happy.gif

SSF - Glad to heard abt Caleb's situation. Take care & rest well the both of you.

Rachel - Pray that all works out for you
happy.gif

Wenyl - Here's wishing you an okie for the amnio and a good maid.

SH - Wow liao...very demoralising of your boss to do that. Well, I'm not having prolems at work but being here for yrs, sometimes feel like I'm in a rut. Hope everything works out well for you too.
happy.gif

Hi CL,

Get well soon! Must be very tiring for you. Megan had a few episodes of broncholitis whens he was 9-11 months.... now we use the sparay daily as a preventer. SO Far so good.

Hi Rachal and Tabbieus,

Go with your heart, You will feel God's peace if it is God's will. We will be here as a listening ear if you need any. Jia You!

Hi Queen,

I am in the construction line. Tired of being a QS too. Ha Ha. Thou now is the boom time for construction. IS you engineering construction related?

Hi all,
Really busy at office only managed to skim through the posts...

SSF - The thought of what happened to Caleb really sends shivers... Must be really scary for you... Pray that Caleb will be back to his usual happy self soon!

Rachel - Sounds like a big decision u have to make. Dun stress yourself out, remeber we're always here to give our 2nd/3rd opinions if you're comfortable to share. =)

MamaPanda - Am glad everything's working well so far for you & HB. Hope both of you will never have thoughts of separating again. =(

CL - Take care!! Really no joke all sick at the same time... pray that Aden will not need to be put on drip.

Hi Mummies, haven't logged for more than a week. So much to catch up!

SSF - Such a terrible accident! Hope Caleb will be fine soon.

CL - Oh dear, take care and catch up on sleep while Aden is with nanny. By the way, have you sent me an "invoice" for the risotto? Next time you are organizing a bp for risotto, can jio me? I love it!

Rachel,Tabby,SH - Hope you will find courage in whatever you choose to do!

Wenyl - Oh no, not again, hope Ethan maintains his good appetite even though he's not well!

Mummies, not sure if you have heard of the below. Try it when your little ones are having coughs.

To stop nighttime coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally),put Vicks Vaporub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime thencover with socks.

Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief.

Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescriptions cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly.

I heard the head of the Canada Research Council describe these findings on behalf of their scientists when they were investigating the effectiveness and usage of prescription cough medicines in children as compared to alternative therapies like accupressure. I Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good due to the chemical makeup of these strong drugs so, I listened.

It was a surprising finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, and in addition, it has a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly .

Lolly tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her. Her coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe me, this was a deep,( incredibly annoying!) every few seconds uncontrollable cough, and she slept cough free for hours every night that she used it.

So, if you have children, pass it on, if you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be absolutely amazed by the effect.

Re. SAHM
I have to say that I miss the challenges at work. But on the other hand, I'm also glad that I don't have to face the stress at work. It's a dilemma. As a SAHM, each day passes by with not much ups and downs. But I'm glad to spend the past 2 to 3 weeks taking care of Isaac full time cos each day, I see different things in him that I realised that I have missed while working full time. When I was working, I basically have only 1 to 2 hours with Isaac before he goes to bed. And weekends are spent doing housework, going grocery shopping, visiting my parents etc. Now I have hours alone with him, I find that Isaac has really grown much closer to me and much more demonstrative in his affections. Still, I think I'm not ready to be a SAHM permanently.

Wenyl,
Do you mind sharing which line of work you are doing right now? I remember you used to do process engg too. I was in engineering for more than 4 years. Managed to get out of it and join an IP firm, who knows the firm is so lousy. Sigh...

Yuki / jan06mum
My engineering background is in semiconductor. I used to work on a condo construction project during my industrial attachment in Uni though. One of my close friend is a QS as well and I can see that she's overworked. She has lost 5 kgs in a few months when I met her last weekend.

SH,
I can't believe your boss did such a thing! How did he do that? Did you give any indication of leaving?

MamaPanda,
Glad to hear that you and HB are working things out. It's not good to entertain thoughts of separation or divorce without first trying the hardest of working things through.

Tabbie / Rachel,
Care to share more on what happened? I hope things work out for you...

All the sick babies and tired mommies.. hang in there! GET WELL SOON!!!!

Mommies
Thanks for the words of encouragement... funny, once we all shared, we realised that some of us are going thro similar problems... haiz... all these screwballs that life throws us... i know it makes us stronger but going thro it initially is horrible...

It really helps to know there's this thread to share...

SH... something happened at work quite similar to yours... dun worry...we be brave and take on these new challenges... hopefully everything will turn out for the better...

Unfortunately for me, i can't change jobs... i'm really stuck where i am unless i really intend to give up more than 10 years of training...

Tabbie,
You can always go into medical research, consultancy or teaching... but it's really not the same as clinical medicine I guess.

Oh my! So many unwell mummies and children. Get well soon!

SSF,
Sounds scary to me the accident. He wld be back to his usual self soon. Kids recover very fast!

RE : "Ball"
A little joke. My sis was carrying my boy when he suddenly gave me sis a hard stare. Pointed to a mole on my sis brow "BALL BALL!" ...and today on the bus he did the same to a lady sitting beside me. Malu....

Hi mummies!

CL,

Get well soon. Try valerie's vicks+socks at night for aden's coughing at night. It really works. I have tried it for Charmaine.

SH,
same here! Well, to a certain extent. I am really in a dilemma now as to what to do....

SH/Tabby,

One more thing, my hubby's former boss has told him that if you leave an organisation, and the organisation feels more pain/loss than you do then congrats! It means that you are doing a good job. On contrary, then it means that (1) you have more things to learn from the organisation; or (2) you are not really contributing....

re jobs
seems like a lot of us wants to change jobs...maybe cos we are in our current jobs for too long?

tabby
yeah i think for u it is harder to switch cos that wd mean giving up your many years of training. that's really painful. what other options do u have?

Sl,
for me i m thinking of switching industry completely. dunno whether that is a good thing to do or not. but i m quite tired of what i m doing. been doing the same thing for almost 5 years. so it's time for a change. and i dun think my boss will let me change dept so probably change co wd be the next option.

SY,

I have been in the same job for 7 years. It's my first job. There's jobscope expansion of course but the pay increment is not equivalent to the jobscope expansion. However, it can be very difficult for me to change jobs cos my area of work is very, very specialised so any switch of job for me would most likely entails learning new things all over again.

sl
yeah i understand...sometimes it is hard to switch cos of the expertise. but have u tot of learning all over again? if i can get something interesting, i dun mind.

Hi JAn mom,

Hi-5 to you! Yeah, boring job.

Hi mummies,

Seems like most of us are not satisfied with our job. Sometimes i wonder if it is a case of 'the grass is always greener than the other side'.......... I used to lament on my first job whereby i stayed for 5 years. After i switch company only can i appreciate the things i learn in my ex company. Sometimes we don't see it but we gain the knowledge thru every day handling. The most challenging thing is to handle people. Ha Ha.

Queen,
It's a long story. To put it briefly, he told me I should get a bigger role internally for me to advance in my career. But it turn out that there are no roles internally (within S'pore) for me to go to. So I was stuck in my current role. Then someone else that he tot was a good fit as my replacement came along and he decided to hire her so as not to lose her as he didn't know when a position will be available for me.

Although he told me he was in no way chasing me out...I felt really lousy over his gesture. So I decided to try to hunt externally for a new job.

Chillies / Aileen,
Haha so funny abt the mole.

Sy/SL,
Which line are you in?

SH,

Technically, I am in the government sector. But cannot say too much here. After it's a public forum. : )

re: current job
Ha ha ha.... it sounds so familiar except for the replacement part. What mine told me was that if I kept refusing to "expand" my jobscope, my performance grade would "suffer" and therefore my opportunities for promotion, etc, etc, etc.
But as it is now, my jobscope alreayd very big how to expand further without eating into my family time?

Queen, Sy
Actually i'm limited becos of my resisitance to go into the private sector... I'm not really interested in doing so now... hard for me to go into research and teaching becos i'm so subspecialised, but i may soon have to head towards that direction.

Dunno if i'm feeling this way becos I'm just starting my family and tabby is still so young and my second is on the way.. feel a bit frustrated that I can't have a bit more family time now.. don't want to regret not spending more time with them when they are young.... kinda at the crossroads whether career or family is more important and dunno where exactly to draw the line between these 2 areas.. you know.. on one hand want to move on with career, on the other really miss the kids....

Aileen
my tabby also goes eeh sometimes... worse my mom go and teach her to press her mole and say ding dong... which i find v. irritating.. ARGH!!!

wow i thought i was the only one who's unhappy with my job. Glad that I made the switch back to my old line. No regrets. I like my present job much better.

Back