(2006/01) Jan 2006 MTBs

Aileen
I got a Yamaha Digital Piano now and it was a steal at $500 second hand recommended by a tuner.

You may check Yamaha and Christophori

Queen,
She still drink from bottle sometimes. I am doing the weaning slowly. I will prepare in cup if I see her drinking slowly, that means she want bottle. Will pour in for her. Then she will finish super fast.

Hi mummies!

Long time no see and share. Been busy with work and FB =P

Re: Milk
D drinks 3 times a day from Mon - Fri. When he wakes up, packet milk in school and before bedtime. There are times when he's too tired at night he requests to go without milk. Weekends only milk when he wakes up and before he sleeps.

CL,
wow really? that's truly a steal! OK I'll check out Yamaha and Cristophori. BTW where are you kids learning and what's the rates? I was hoping to find someone to come to the house to teach if Ed is really interested.

I saw a kawai piano on sale a few weeks back on eBay at$500, maybe u wanna check. According to the seller, he's upgrading to a grand that's why selling. Maybe can ask a tuner to go check it out with u?

Re bottles
haha my boy has forgotten how to suck from a bottle. Wish he likes milk but he doesn't. Now dun even wanna drink the pediasure.

Mummies,
Just to check. Had ur kids start writing?
Understand from J's teacher that N2 will only learning tracing of alphabets and slight introduction on writing. as for Chinese, they will learn simple strokes like "Heng", "Shu", "Pie", "Na", etc.

Just asking as we are still considering should we switch to another sch that is more academic focus. Cos current seems to have very little writing and no worksheets. They are more focus in learning thru play and literacy.

May
Dylan loves writing. he writes words and chinese characters pretty well now. he will take out a book on his own and 'copy' them while writing on a piece of paper.

honestly, no hurry to get them into writing. let them learn through play, cos there are many more years to come with tons of homeworks once they start Pri school.

May,
Isaac is in K1, being Dec born. He can write but is terrible at it. As in, it's not neat and still a bit 'haphazard'. Not sure if if I'm expecting too much... In any case, I don't practise writing with him. I also fee that evenuntally his writing skills will mature.
He is already learning to write whole words and learning how to use sight words like as, in, the, he, she etc. In fact, I think he can write Chinese characters better and has progressed quite fast in writing Chinese. He can write his own name and even difficult that I don't even recall learning back when our generation is in Kindy. As for maths, Isaac knows very simple addition and subtraction already.
I think for N2, the level which you describe seems fine. It's probably in K1 that our kids will learn a lot more.

mashy,
I think I'll get a digital piano for now coz it's less bulky. Thanks!

May,
Edgar is also only just learning to write and read.

personal experience ... N2 is time to start to write ... start with tracing, then free writing of letters, then putting the words together. at K1, more writing will come in and kids should start to do copywriting. My #1 started to have spelling in K1 term 3 and eventually by K2, they should be used to writing and able to form words and sentences well ... focus on getting the letters like d, b, r, n, z, 2 right ... once the strokes are there, it's quite difficult to change. there would be other 'simple' stuff to focus on like remembering to start a sentence with a capital letter and ending with a '.' ... btw, my #1 was in a more academic kindy environment n now in P1, he is not against writing and homework as much as some other boys I see, but for girls, somehow their handwritings are much better even if they are in a more play-based kindy environment.

.ky.

writing:
My boy loves to trace those letter tracing workbooks and quite diligent in doing so. He can trace well, but when it comes to free writing on his own, the alphas start to look "ugly". But still can tell what the letters are. For chinese strokes, he's able to tell me pie, nah, shu, heng, dian, etc etc.

At this stage, I'm still doing more reading with him and get him to read certain words. He can read some books for his level on his own - with some prompting, guidance and encouragement. He recognizes words and are able to spell quite a number of single syllable words. I believe that's also essential to their writing skills...

Re: writing

My boy is atrocious in it. So bad until we have to see the occupational therapist now.
sad.gif
His fine motor skills isn't good enough. He can write very ugly alphabets but totally sucked in Chinese. He still can't do copywriting altho all his classmates can.

With regards to reading, he's reading very well. He's able to read books like 'Cat in the Hat comes back' and 'Green Eggs and Ham' all by himself.

But like what ky said, N2 is the time to start to write. So since not in K1, no need to hurry her. The real test of writing is in K1.

I've seen some of Jamie's work and i think she can write pretty well. So don't worry about that. Even in terms of drawing, my boy is still at the stage of a body-less person i.e, his legs join the head directly.

to add on to CL's info, do watch out for schools' openhouses ... and go now even if your kid is a 2006 kid ... don't wait till last min. remember last yr, many schools cancelled theirs coz of H1N1 ... and find out if the school is going to (rumours or watever) move, interim, long-term ...

Also, if u r very keen on the school but chances of getting there is not certain, try to source for info and talk to the principal... let the P knows of your interest.

also, do up a backup plan or 2 if plan A did not work out. those who knew what happened to mine, my Plan Z came up within 5 mins when I realized that my plan A is not going to materialize...

.ky.

Hmm writing, reading. I am not very actively involved with Aden and a lot are very much left to the childcare since I always have to battle with Charmaine on her homework.

When Charmaine was young, reading was done by her automatically and she does not need me to supervise. But I have never tested her on comprehension which she is facing problem in comprehension now

So maybe when you do reading, we still need to check with them in their own words to see if they understand what they have read ?

For Charmaine, I never give her extra penmanship on writing she only does it in school. But I am happy that her writing so far quite neat and good.

For Aden , I probably will start to do stuff with him soon to cut down TV time now. Daddy intro too many cartoons and I am having problem keeping up with his request. Now is "to infinity and beyond"

Sigh.

Just bought some books to work with him while I teach jie jie. Which means I wont have TV for myself on weekday too.

Hi mummies

sorry to interrupt.

I have 6 bottles of DOM (1litre) & 1 bottle of Yomeishu (700ml) to sell. All brand new! Selling cheaper than retail and provide foc delivery. Pm me if keen. Thanks!! :)

KY/CL,
Didn't know Primary School also have open house. How do I view that?

Me still thinking if I should enrol Jamie to my Primary School Nan Hua, or the primary sch opposite my mum house which is with 1km of mine ?

May, either call the school or check their website ... it's usually around this period, just before phase 2C.

take your time to think and if possible, visit both schools ... distance is a key concern, I realize. Esp with CCA and remedial lessons, u do have to consider who can bring your kid to school eventually

.ky.

hi mummies....i got the stomach flu from J and was on MC last thurs and fri. i was just lying on the bed from thurs thru last sun and had to drag myself out of bed to watch the 2 kids as hb was also down. worst still, my mum and sis also got the diarrhoea and vomitting. in the end, we are left with no caregivers. wah, i truly appreciate maid for that moment mann! haa...

anyway i am back! pink in health and so ready for the weekend but haiz! hb will be flying to china for work next mon and back on thurs. but well...i have booked my 'ME' trip to HK with my mum and sis on the 6th Jul~ wohooo....4d3n no hb no kids. hee...but guess i will miss them and probably will cover my guilt with some toys from disneyland. haa...my obliging hb had agreed to give me time off and is willing to take leave and look after the kiddos. tsk tsk. i just pray that they will ALL be in good health.

queen - another mummy who is expecting no 3 is sandra. remember the michelin baby sarah?
happy.gif
eh...anyone else that i miss?

May - C can spell his name and write some alphabets and numbers. i realise that C likes to do assessment books. hahaa....i know that's ridiculous but he loves them. so i went to popular and bought those IQ booster, IQ perfect, etc. in fact all 4 books on IQ series and he just complete them in 2 days with me explaining the questions. not difficult and pretty fun. like they have circle the differences, puzzle missing pieces, etc. now i am moving on to mathematics and chinese series. haha...

but then for J, he has no interest and is pretty slow. i guess different kid has different pace. he is almost coming to 3 but still cannot tell 1 to 5. his writtng skills and colouring is also weak which is worrying me abit. but then i also don't want to stress him too much. somehow with C, teaching is so much a breeze.

Ssf

oh dear, glad you n family r ok now. Stomach flu can really spread very fast.

haha my boy loves assessment books until the end of last year too. We will bring one out each time and he'll complete them at meal times. But alas it didn't last long. He's no longer keen in them. Now he's into reading. I just bought Geronimo Stilton for him to see if he likes them.

He's so into words. Now his fav show is word world.

fyi, south view pri (near Lot 1) openhouse tomorrow ... got cheap baking class for parent + child (if it's like previous year) ... and I hear this year, there's a bouncing thinggie ...

.ky.

mummies
i m moving next fri...so will become westerner liao.....

CL
i realise the daddies are quite encouraging where tv is concerned. mine says he wants to watch even when i make jh switch off!

mummies
anyone heard of little wonders at hillview?

SY
tell me about it, hubby is always glued to the TV even where its way past the time to get Dylan ready for bed. there was once I purposely kept quiet and watched when the man will move his butt, but ended up the father and son were both glued to the tv program...

you moving to hillview? welcome to the west!

SY moving to hillview too? I'm also moving to hillview end of the year.

Wow, seems like we got quite a few in hillview right? We can have more meetups at hillview in future
happy.gif

Hello mummies,

I am newbie here and would like to join u all in the sharing. I have a 4 year old girl shermaine and 15 mth old boy Javier.

Hi juliann,

Welcome! Our thread has gone quiet for quite a while...
My first boy Isaac was borned in Dec 05 (his EDD was supposed to be Jan 06) and my younger boy Matthew is also 15 months old!

Hi gals!
can anyone give me contacts of good Confinement Lady?? need one ard the chinese new year period..

hey hey not for me! its for my sil ;p

TIA!

Hi juliann,
WELCOME! mine are two boys, 4.5YO and 18 mths =)

Hi Juliann,
Welcome, I have two gals. Born in Jan 06 and Mar 09 (16mths).

Pin,
I saw a dance class at Suntec outside Level 3 Toy R Us Exit. They are doing some other dance. Hip Hop Dance looks fun as we saw a teacher conducting class last wk.

hi mummies
long time no check in here!

rachel
wah CNY very hard to find. not many pple want to do. let me ask my fren's one. think she did hers over CNY this year

i m actually staying at my mum's at Toh tuck but kids go to sch at hillview.
happy.gif

mamapanda
which part are u moving to?

hi juliann
welcome!
i have 2 kids. boy born in jan 06 and gal in june 08.
happy.gif

are u SAHM or FTWM?

Popping by to say hi. Busy busy at work and leaving on time to fetch Charmaine from student care by 7 leaving hb to fetch Aden from childcare.

SY
hee hee Mamapanda will be shifting very near me. Come join us then we can have a car convoy or car pool to NYPS in 2013 ha ha

Welcome Juliann
I have 2 kids. Girl in Aug 2002 (P2 this year) and Boy in Jan 2006

hi!

long time no c.

My gal is down with HFMD.
sad.gif
Good thing my hb is working from home today and thus can help me out coz i hardly had a wink last night.

wow, so many shifting to the west ah...

My SIL just got Zhen Jie as her confinement nanny in Dec. looks like the rate has gone back down to $1.8k.

hi juliann
i also have 2 kids, one is 4.5yrs, the other just turned 1 yr old.

SY
Yeah, in fact, I'm moving to opposite CL. Hee hee. Most likely will be there by October. Seems like the place is gonna TOP sooner than expected.

Mashy
hope your gal recovers soon. The rashes look so uncomfy for her.

There is a case in aden's childcare too so today I keep him away.

Working from home and finally met up with sleeping deer with her second gal. So cute with precious moments' eyes.

Mamapanda
looking forward. wait for you and see if we can form a swimming class , we can rotate each month for the class. hee hee

CL,
My girl not so interested in swimming lei. She's only interested in getting herself wet but freaks out when we ask her to submerge her head in water. She bathing also scared of water over her head, don't know how she's gonna learn swimming.

Violin lessons
Anyone got lobangs? Big A wants to learn violin. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand 1/8 or 1/10 violin for her. Also, anyone got good (and cheap) teachers/schools to recommend?

Hi mummies!

Didn't come in for a long, long time. How's all the mummies and the kids?

They must be really big now...

I see that lots of mummies are moving to the west... : )

Mamapanda,
My gal has the same problem as yours! So we stopped her swimming after 3 mths. She enjoyed playing with water though.

Hi mummies
Long time no "see", hope everyone is well. Have been busy at work plus starting to feel the pressure of Singapore educational system! Mel is having more homework now =( I think I'm more pressurised than her in making sure she finishes her work!

SL/MamaPanda
Mel was like your gals too. Scream for almost 3 - 4 terms at every single swim class that I really felt like giving up. Luckily I persevere and now she's enjoy swimming lessons =)

hi hi

long time no "see" too.

I'm looking at getting sufficient people to do a 1-time pottery at the Dragon Kiln (near NTU)(http://sgblogs.com/entry/visit-firing-thow-kwang-dragon-kiln/250132)

My older boy did this when he was 5 and he enjoyed it. So now thinking of doing this for my younger. The guy that we did this is no longer doing but I managed to get another who has quoted me $35 for a 3-hr session per person. Includes pottery wheel (let the kid try out), visit into the dragon kiln, and hand-made 1 clay item (includes drying n painting in 1 session). Firing would be done and so item can be collected at a later date. I need 15 pax in order to have this group price. Parents can join in for free (ie kid makes only 1 item). It's in a outdoor old-style kind of environment, so no aircon :> ... I'm thinking of doing this earliest in Dec (a Sunday) or possibly in Jan/Feb when our kid turns 5. Any older kids can join too...

I'm trying to gather response now. Can email me your interest? tx.

.ky.

hi mummies,

our thread is so quiet nowadays...

Flo,
Goot to see you posting again! Where does Mel take her swimming lessons? Is it in our area?

Hi KY,

I am really keen. Do keep me updated!
happy.gif

For both my gals. Since they do not have any art class during the holidays.
happy.gif

for some reasons, A is so scared of water over her head that she crys during bath times if i pour water over her head for more than 15sec continuously :/

orange
Hi! My 2 kids are also 2006 and 2010
happy.gif

Hi gals!

Long time no c!

Ky
this sounds so interesting! Too bad my gal is too young to participate and I can't handle one kid doing the pottery and another screaming to put mud in her mouth. Sigh.

My gal also scared of water. Bath time is touch and go. It's like dub prolong my agony. When we brought her to the pool, she cried throughout.

I saw a photo of my nieces underwater. So brave. The younger gal was just 6 months older than our 06 kids. So I thought I should get goggles for my boy to try.

So fast some of our kids will be enrolling for p1 next yr. My boy cannot go acs liao. So going either anderson or Townsville. I hope he doesn't complain to me next time why his sis go sap sch and he in a neighbourhood sch. My friend's son did.
sad.gif

Morning Mummies
happy.gif

Hi MamaPanda

Wow! both of us having 2006 n 2010 kids
happy.gif
At 1st i was quiet worried tat my gal cant get along wif his little bro. 4 yrs difference. Luckily she's likes her little bro very much.

How many mths is your little ones?

Hi mashy - My gal is oso afraid of water. Begginning of the yr, i brought her for swimming assessment and she cry throughout n the instructor say she's not ready. Ask me not to force her if not she'll have phobia in swimming in future. She advise to bring the child to baby pool and play for sometime until she's not afraid of water. Perhaps u can try on tis method.

Back