(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Hi caroline,

Sorry...not to "splash cold water". But your choice are very popular school, a bit "risky" to register under 2C right?
Mine is :
1) Kuo Chuan (2B)
2) Ai Tong (2B, if can't, then 2C)

Cheers.

En...looks like really depends on luck. But I think better have a 3rd choice to fall back on. Anyway, hope your son will get get in to your choiced school.

Cheers.

Hi hippo2002,

I don't have any walk distance neighbourhood school, the nearest is Zhang De (within 1 km), not sure this is a good or not. Rivervalley and Radin Mas are within 2 km.

My choice

1) Nanyang ( Should be 2A2 since I am a old gal)
2) Southview ( Not sure if I should go for volunteer work)

Sorry my gal is simply too lazy. Can I do a poll here to see what course and where you have sign up your kids with

Phonics
1) Montessori Phonics at Growing Up (enrichment centre in CCK)

Chinese
1) Native Chinese who comes to my home

If you are not old student of Nanyang and have not registered as volunteer, you will fall under phase 2C.

However, for Nanyang, even within 1km you will need to ballot (for previous years).

My gal also very lazy plus hyper and playful. I have signed her up for :

1) Phonics at Little Bambis (previously under Montessori);
2) Chinese lessons at BHR; and
3) Yamaha music class.

I am thinking of stopping her chinese lessons now and look for another centre. I am thinking of Eduplus, Berries or TienHsia. I prefer one that teaches more on words recognition and writing, rather than emphasizing on speech. Any mommies have any experience with any of the above, can share your experience please?

Thanks.

Avocado,

Check out nanyang's website www.nyps.moe.edu.sg
Ya I think you will fall under 2C.

Even though you are 1 Km, you check the stats, 25 - 2006 , 48 - 2005 and 55 - 2004 managed to get in. Most of the seats are out by 2A2

Phonics
1) Montessori Phonics at Growing Up (enrichment centre in CCK) - Chicken Little
2) Little Bambis - JXY Mom

Chinese
1) Native Chinese who comes to my home - Chicken Little
2) BHR - JXY Mom

Music
1) Yamaha music Class - JXY Mom
2) Yamaha Music at Yew Tee CC - Chicken Little

Ya JXY, the native teacher I engaged is more on words recognition through play, songs , and will do some IQ worksheets with them.

I think TienHsia is more academic based , Berries seems good

for my boy, he will enjoy class so long the teacher is not fierce.

Phonics
3) Dowell (signed up from PCF) - Fz

Chinese
2) BHR - JXY Mom
3) Berries - Fz

Music

Others
1) Abacus (Elementary 2) - Fz

JXY Mom,

my boy just started berries. went for 2 lessons only. my boy likes the teacher cos she is not fierce and lessons are fun. for learning wise, i have yet to see his progress, although i admit berries gets his interest for chinese going due to its fun learning approach. they have reading every alternate week (with a small booklet for us to practise at home) and writing. alternate week will teach a chinese idiom. having said that, i still have to reinforced the teachings at home cos he can't relate to/recognise the words taught yet.

Fz

I like this native Chinese Teacher. She herself has got a pri 2 gal and a 2002 boy like us. She will always recite a poem first, they will recognise the words she pick out from each poem. First half an hour, all will be able to read. The next lesson she will spend a few minutes to test them and read the whole poem again. Then music and movement. Next will be storytime, she will read once then will want the kid to recite back to her on what they have understand. I can see the progress in my gal in terms of recognition of words

Chicken Little

Phonics
4) Read in a week at Kent Ridge next to Lot 1 - Caroline

Chinese
2) BHR - JXY Mom
3) Berries - Fz
4) Not yet, may consider Berries or TienHsia next year - Caroline

Music
3) Covered under Kinderland child care curriculum FOC - Caroline

Others

Chicken Little
Remember I told you I registered for Crestar Phonics at Kinderland premises? After 1 lesson, I withdraw because I feel teacher is too young and syllabus too slow and same as nursery. Now I go and see, the class no more.

My son is now at Read in a week at Kent Ridge next to Lot 1. The teacher covers all the sounds of A - Z in one lesson (1.5hr). This coming Sun is 2nd lesson. I think she would start with CAT, HAT, HEN, TEN etc

Carol

What timing is the Kent Ridge one ? I think after my gal complete the montessori, I will put her in there. I trust your taste. hee Hee

Chicken Little
I thought you are already attending at Growing up? Kent Ridge one is always full. I waited 5 months. My first lesson was 12 May, 5pm slot. There is a new class in Jun, Sat 2pm. I am not sure it is filled or not.

There are, I think, 2-3 teachers. New class start when the previous class ends (ie one year). The class go through beginner, intermediate to advance.

Tel no. for Kent Ridge at Lot 1 is 67670444. You can speak to Doris or Wendy. Registration $15, material $30. Per lesson $28. Pay monthly.

Phonics

Chinese
2) BHR - JXY Mom
3) Berries - Fz

Music
4) Kindermusik - Covered under Cherie Hearts cc enrichment - jh

Art
1) community centre - jh

Ballet
1) community centre - jh

Others
2) Act 3 - Covered under Cherie Hearts cc enrichment - jh

Phonics
5) Kumon - hippo

Chinese
2) BHR - JXY Mom
3) Berries - Fz
5) Kumon - hippo

Maths
1) Kumon- hippo

Music

Art
1) community centre - jh
2) community center - hippo

Ballet
1) community centre - jh

Others
3) gymnastic - hippo

hi JXY mum,Chicken little,
tink the chances of getting into Nanyang under Phase2C is quite slim,despite I am staying wtihin 1km.

Biw,we oso own another house within 1km fr. henry park primary.Can we register for two primary schools under Phase2C?

appreciate your advices!

Avocado
You can only apply one school. They use the address on your IC. So if you want Henry Park, your IC must show that house's address.

Avocado

Henry Park is equally popular. My fren's mum staying there. She was commenting everyone stays at Ghim Moh wants to go there. still have to ballot

Hi Avocado,

Yes...as Caroline had mentioned, your IC address need to reflect that you are within 1km from school. However, if you are under phase 2C, you must be prepared there is a chance that you need to ballot even for those staying within 1km. My colleague was within 1km from the school and thought she don't need to do volunteer work but turns out that year (rabbit year kids) have to ballot, and unfortunately her name's was not drawn.

HI JXY Mom,Chickenlittle,Carol,
thanks for the advice.

now i am reali in dilemma which school shld I register with? Nanyang or Henry Park?

My hse address shows my address near to Nanyang.But I know the chances of getting into Nanyang under Phase2C is very slim.

This seems tat we hv no choice but to join in any committee member.If my hb is helping in the PAP meeting the people session,can he be qualified under the Phase2B(community leader)?

hi mummies,
if we unable to get a place fr. Nanyang under Phase2C, wat other schools can i go at bt timah area?

Avocado
Ask hb to check out it on the PAP part, might be useful leh. When my hb refused to let me enrol my gal with Nanyang, I was going to join the RC or something to offer my service liao.

Avocado,

Right..since your hb is helping with the PAP meeting -the-people session, would be useful, better quickly check now, so you can decide how to proceed next.

The "not so popular" school left in Bt. Timah area,I think would be Bukit Timah Primary School. The rest almost like all also need balloting within 1km.

Chickenlittle,
Nanyang is a good school.why ur hb refused to let u enrol ur girl there?

if we volunteer our service to RC,how do we qualify to be "active committee leader"?

hello mummies,

am very blur. I just cannot understand this ballot/staying within 1km/volunteer hence phase 2B thingy.

if I stay out of 2km and volunteer in the school, does that qualify me under the phase 2B?
if i stay out of 2km and do not volunter in the school, I should be in phase 2C is it?
if I stay between 1-2km, does not volunteer, where does that place me??
if I stay between 1-2km and DO volunteer, do i get into the Phase 2B?

cos read the MOE website, the distance was related to balloting, but the volunteer work and phasing was not related to distacne of house. So very confused.

help help

many thanks!!

harriet

hi Harriet,

I'll attempt to clear your doubts :

Phase 2B is for a child whose parent has joined the school as a parent volunteer in *June (of the year before you are due for P1 registration) and has given at least 40 hours of voluntary service to the school by July of the year of registration; (*For e.g., for my case, I will register for P1 for my gal next year, so I will need to be a parent volunteer by June this year). or whose parent is a member of the church/clan directly connected with the school; or whose parent is endorsed as an active community leader.

Phase 2C for a child who is ineligible for or unsuccessful in earlier phases.

The number of places in phase 2B and phase 2C are the same; after all the available places for a school is taken up in the earlier phase 1 to phase 2A2, whatever places remains in the school will be divided equally for phase 2B and phase 2C.

However, as you could see from above, the group who could register in phase 2B would be smaller than the group who would register in phase 2C (note: phase 2C is basically opened to all). So most parents will get themselves into phase 2B to increase their chances of getting a place in the school.

As for distance considerations : if the places that are available under phase 2B is less than the number of registrants, then allocation will be based on the proximity of your home from the school. So, in this regard, the advantage (priority) will be given to those who stay within 1km from the school.

Works the same way for phase 2C.

So, in other words, the distance you stay from the school, actually does not determine which phase you could register.

Hope this helps to clariy. Feel free to ask if you are not clear :)

Cheers.

hi JXY,

many thanks. therefore we would do volunteer work so as to up our level from 2C to 2B right?
when mommies say they volunteer to the school at least a year or two years before the child's enrollment, does that mean the school would accept their service immediately to 'start work'? Or they KIV the name list and call up the parent a year before the enrollement?
from reading the threads, i had the impression that we just have to call the school, leave our names/CV and the school will inform us if they need help and most of the time, 'help' would be accepted...
correct me if I am wrong.

harriet

Harriet
for my case I have to call every now & then to check with the school when it starts accepting registration for parent volunteers
the school is unlikely to return call one by one especially when they have so many parents interested to volunteer

did you read Straits Time supplement 'guide on primary school' yesterday? quite interesting

Phonics
5) Kumon - hippo

Chinese
2) BHR - JXY Mom
3) Berries - Fz
5) Kumon - hippo
6) community centre - Mo2

Maths
1) Kumon- hippo

Music

Art
1) community centre - jh
2) community center - hippo
3) community centre - Mo2

Ballet
1) community centre - jh

Others
3) gymnastic - hippo

Harriet,

When are you registering your child for P1? If you are registering for P1 this year, you may be late already. Most popular school would have closed their PV registration (for P1 enrollment next year) as they need to clock in at least 40 hrs (80hrs for Nanyang), so would need about one year to complete the required number of hours.

Every school varies, some will not notify you even if you are not selected as PV, so you will need to call in to check with the school. Also, some schools will accept the PV but work may or may not start immediately, really depends on the school requirements.

Interesting to note - one of my colleague got accepted as PV for Nanyang (she wrote in 2 years ago), she went for briefing this morning and realised that all of her patch of PVs stays outside 2km. And I thought priority for parents within 1km (even for PV)? Those staying within 1km did not write in to volunteer?

hi JXY mom,

Registering for p1 in 2009 and realised that the condo that DH bought is within the 1-2KM of pei hwa, when we bought it, it was just for investment, but now someone wants to buy and the reality of registering for P1 has finally sink into our heads. so very headache over whether we should sell condo and stay in HDB and enrol in neighbourhood school downstairs or Keep condo for P1 registeration but yet 1-2km, may not get in, who knows?? *sigh*

harriet

Harriet,

Since your child will only enrol in 2009. If you have the means, perhaps get an HDB within 1km (sorry...not sure if there are HDB within 1km of PH) and keep the condo to collect rental income. If you can, join as PV to up your chance in 2B.

Cheers.

hello mommies

what is your child doing on a typical week?

my 5 years old is attending:
- Kumon (thrice a week)
- Arts (once a week)
- Gymnastic (once a week)
- PAP kindergarten

Hippo

My 5 years old attending
- MMI half day childcare
- Classical piano (once a week)
- Pre Pri Ballet (once a week)
Starting kumon soon, waiting for orientation to confirm suitability.
Thanks for recommending
Cheers

my 5 years old attending
- Abacus (once a week)
- Berries (once a week)
- Swimming (once a week)
- Phonics (once a week)
- PAP kindergarten

he is asking for more interesting programmes. i discussed with my dh and conclude that kumon might not suit him, cos my boy prefers a setting where the teacher engages with the kid during lesson rather than just sitting down to do worksheets. i have asked him if he is interested in music lessons and he said he want to learn drums only (which is for older kids).

Hi all,

This thread is very interesting indeed. I also have a 5 year old girl...and I probably would be enrolling her into MGS as we stay less than 1km from there. Wondering if we should do volunteer work then??

Also, any plans for your kids' June holidays? Do you ladies know of any holiday programmes for the kids?

any mommies send your child to Global Art & Creative program?

they have franchises in many locations eg. Marine Parade, Tampines, Jurong and many locations

any feedback appreciated. thanks!

Hi Linette,

I called MGS sometimes back (about 6 months ago) to enquire about parents volunteer. They said they do not need anymore volunteers at the moment as they have a pool of them. Their volunteers are all members from the church affiliated to their school.

Back