(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Congrats mummies... all have done well. :)

Now I am confirming his schedule for hols classes... :)

Star : Gathering? Great idea. :) We are keen too.

mummies,
my boy is studying in a neighbourhood school. today is the last day of school and (my boy told me that) during casual chat with one of his friends from his CL class, this friend asked my boy if he had started learning P3 science. the friend said that he did and then took out a folder of completed P3 past yr papers on science....

FZ

uhoh.gif
Wow..yr posting reminds me that I better start reading up on science assessment books..:p

Can mummies advise me how to go abt selecting science assessment books? Any publications or authors to recommend? Thanks!

mummies,
any good CL assessment books? Thanks!
if my boy's school only has CL and no HCL, but they learnt the 'Sheng Guan' section in their textbook, should i buy CL assessment books or HCL assessment books?

Hi bebe75,
If you have got the POPclub magazine, they have this education edition that tals about how to choose an assessment book. I think it is quite good and you can refer on it.

fz

Wow,completed past year papers on Science!

I usually buy textbooks 1 week before school reopen. No space to store and I noticed by then all the books would be in, so don't need to make repeated trips to bookshop. But hor, yesterday my dd specifically asked me to buy science textbooks for her earlier so she can start reading. Wow, since when so ON? So rare so I quickly chiong to buy 3 Science textbooks for her. She finished all 3 yesterday. Jaw drop man
rofl.gif

bebe, fz

I'm still browsing assessment books, haven't decide what to buy. This time round popular only give one discount coupon, must use wisely so I intend to buy all at one go. The other way is to go bookfest. I frequently run into publishers there, can ask them for recommendation. Or I just kaypo a bit and see what other mommies are buying at bookfest

Jolene/YenLing
Thanks..I will check out the pop mag..and kept Janet Sim in mind..

For other subject assessments, I will still stick to Andrew Er and Fabian Ng for their maths assessment books. For Chinese and English..prob got to go down to Popular one of these days..

Bookfest - dunno got time to go down or not...

Mummytiffany - my gal only keen with the puzzles at the back page. Most of the time, the paper will end up in the old newspaper stack..hiaz

YawnYawn - at least yr gal is initiative..easier for you..

Next year p3
I asked my gal which class is the top class in P3..she said she did not know. But judging from the names of the classmates that will be sharing the class as her next year, I think my gal is in the middle range..*Phew* at least not the last class..

Mummies,

The long awaited holiday has finally started.

Popular only gives 1 voucher this time round, so kiasu me bought an extra copy of the pop club mag at 50ct. Just in case I can't find all the books in 1 popular branch.

I also heard janet sim's sci books are good. Are they out in Popular already? DD's maths tutor also reminded me to get DD to read up the sci textbooks during the holidays, seems like this is the trend nowadays .....

Hihi juz me,
I bought the extra copy after the cashier told me the mag runs out fast, heehee ....

This thread has been so quiet for the past few days, wonder where are the rest of the mummies ...

cookiepie, juz_me,
i didn't know can purchase extra copy! 50cents so cheap! should have gotten a copy too! hope they still have on sunday...

I have already used mine, so I also bought a copy. Thougt of getting another discount voucher from my brother in law since he is also a popular member and he seldom use it.

Did anyone bought the whole set of Ronald Dahl books?

Yen Ling,

I bought them in batches this year during MPH 30% discount promotion.

I wont recommend you to buy the whole set unless your child has read his story book/s before.

Hi Yawn yawn,
Are all the stories nice?

Hi avrilf,
I get what you meant. But the cost is cheaper when buy in bulk.

My son just started reading the Charlie and the chocloate factory and he found it nice.

So I am still thinking whethr it is worth to buy.

Yen Ling

Both my kids love Roald Dahl books, read over and over again. Out of the 15 books, I think there are about 2 books they don't quite fancy. But still cheaper to buy the whole set lor

If I recall correctly, I paid close to $130 for the box set from popular. You might want to compare against online prices

Hi 5

Brought my kids to watch hi 5 at marina square. Long queue. Meet & greet for first 50 group but queue started forming more than an hour before showtime. And it's on a weekday afternoon.
My dd2 is a huge fan of hi 5. She can do all the hi 5 dance steps and sing along. So this 二十四孝 mommy has no choice but to queue lor. No way I am going to queue that long for a handbag but for my dd2, can't disappoint her leh. Also bought the pictures taken with hi 5 as souvenir
biggrin.gif

Dora

Watched this show last weekend. Performance last about 30 minutes and queue is quite reasonable considering it's a Saturday. My dd1 said Dora is too kiddy for her

yawn yawn ,
Chance upon Dora show at raffles city yesterday so let my gals watched them. dd2 who's in nursery enjoyed the show while dd1 found it boring (same comment as your dd1). dd1 is now into winx club, bought her the winx club school bag and pencil box for p3 next yr. Also requested for winx club cake for her bd next mth.

Any mummies with yr-end kids here? Based on your observation, is their learning curve at par with other kids born in the earlier months? dd1 is dec baby, I find that she's slowing catching up with her peers academically, but yet to be on par....wonder when she will fully catch up....

Popular bookfest starts next fri, 10 Dec. We can go there to 'shop' liao, haha...noticed last yr, parents were buying in TROLLEYs. wonder how their kids manage to finish so many assessment books...

cookiepie

Yes, I saw that too, trolley over spilling with assessment books. I pointed to my dd and she looked so relieved that I only bought a handful
lol.gif

yawn yawn,
I try to limit myself to less than 5 assessment books per subj in p2, still cannot finish ..think this yr got to cut down further....intend to subscribe for the young scientist mags during the bookfest ...I enjoy reading them myself, heeheee....

Hi mummies,
I already chiong to bookshop this morning to buy all the textbooks. Assessment will need to analyze and buy one shot to fully utilize the voucher. Hee hee ks mum.

Cookiepie,
Is your dd p1 or p2? My ds is p1 this year. He's born mid dec somemore a bit premature so rightfully he's 'younger' than his peers by one year. His teacher always comment that he is super active and cannot sit still. He even quarreled with his teacher. Sigh.... I wonder if it is because he is younger hence more active. Academic wise he surprised me by placing 4th in his class this year so I believe kids will adjust themselves accordingly to the environment.

Maisy daisy,
The bookstore will be delivering the textbooks to my hse today ...looking forward to the smell of new books, hahaha....

Wow, your ds is academically better than his peers. I think boys tend to be more active at this age. My dd1 is going to p3 next yr, she seems to have this 1-yr lag e.g. things taught in p1, she only grasps the concept this yr; things taught in p2, she still a bit blur. Hopefully she can catch up by p3.....

Cookiepie,
I've friends who were blur blur and academically weak. But when they went college, their results just shine. They are now scientist and lawyer. The top top gals in my pri school class became teachers instead since they are so good in studying. So ranking is not important lah. We can only provide the best. The rest is up to them.

Jolene,
Can share what you bought? I only bought textbooks. Next must chiong for the assessments. Muah chiam like war..

Maisy Daisy,
You're right, we can only provide the best. The rest is up to them.

Jolene,
Yah can share what you bought? I usually go bras basah popular during lunch break, so a bit difficult to browse through the wide varieties there.

Cookiepie, Jolene
ha ha I am working just next to bras Basah complex. Popular is a place I always go but aiyo the queue now is so long.

Do share what books to get. I only want to get 2 books for each subject.

Cookiepie
ha ha we can go shopping during lunch together

CL
If I am like you working next to Bras Basah..I think I will hang out at Popular daily..ha ha..Mountains of assessment books..see until I blur..

Jolene
Yeah - pls share what are the books you have bought $140 is a lot!!

Year end child
My #2 (2003, Dec)is a a xmas eve baby, physically her motor skills are not really on par with her peers, not sure if it is due to her walking postures or what, she is very prone to slip /fall, and when she eats she will spill this and that, and her writing is also a problem..sometimes she can write neatly, sometimes it is so horrible that I could not even read...hiaz. But she is very competitive and inquisitive. Teacher commented that she has a mind of her own, based on her writing and drawing she did in her class. Academically wise, I think she is doing fine, just have to be very careful in her work (very very careless girl).

P3 English workshop from Popular
I got this mailer https://www.popular.com.sg/jsp/homepage/html/EN/enewsletter/nov10/e-popular29Nov.html

It is a workshop to share with parents on the techniques/ideas to help their kids to deal with the transition from Stellar English prog (p1/P2) to P3 English.

Date 11 Dec
Time 9-12
Venue Suntec 301-302
Fee $10/pax
Speaker Dr Cheah Yin Mee

Can register with Popular (first come first serve)

I am very keen to go, but my kids has lessons in the morning..ARRRGGGHHH..if not I can go to the bookfest after the talk. Save time and transport..hiaz...

CL,
Sure, one of these days we shd meet there. My ofc is actually at raffles place, so I took a bus there.

Bebe75,
I also receive the workshop email from popular. Interested too but can't go coz dd has tuition on sat mornings.....

yooohoo... mummies... it has been a super long time from the last time chatted with you all in this SMH... after not able to access net in office.
sad.gif
But i've been reading quietly on all your posts here, due to the alerts emails SMH sent to my mailbox. Hope you gals still remember me... :p So how are things getting on with you gals? I've bought most of my kids' books required from Popular, left some not able to find in Popular deh, will get from school.

Morning mummies!

Assessment Books
I usually buy EPH books, especially Maths. Next in line is SAP books. Dd1 is rather weak and not interested in Chinese, any mummies can recommend good assessment books?

Science - any mummies come across any science guide books that contains a comprehensive glossary of the science terms? Something like a dictionary. There's so many terms in the science books which I don't know how to explain to dd. Cham, think gotta outsource the teaching liao
sad.gif

Bookfest
Is it really much cheaper at the bookfest? How does the price compare if buy from popular using the 20% discount voucher? I hv not been to one before.

Cookiepie,
Both my girls are dec baby. Until 6, I do find dd1 a little slower than her peers. Academically, dd1 seem to be on par with her peers starting P1. I think at a younger age, as long as your child achieve according to the milestones, it is alright. Premmies may take a longer time, but I believe they will eventually pan out nicely as they grow up. I don't think year end kids has any disadvantage by the time they take their PSLE. Just my opinion.

Bebe,
So qiao, my dd2 born on x'mas day!

Hi Mummies,

I have not had time to shop for assessment books. Have activities planned for the next couple of weekends.

Maybe I should learn from Chicken Little and Cookiepie to drop by Bras Basah Popular to have a look since my office is @ Gateway. Think I will be spending a couple of lunchtime running through the books before I purchase as there is lot of choices.

As I am still struggling to get my boy to finish his current assessment books. I think I will try to keep to 2/3 assessment books per subjects except Chinese.

Hi mummies

For science I bought the guide book from marshal cavendish (my pals are here) at $32 also bought Janet Sim guide and assessment book as well

For Chinese I bought p3/4 model compo and two books on Chinese idioms in comic form

English- I zoom into specific book for grammar & vocabulary,
Comprehension, synthesis & transformation mainly from casco, eph, just..

Maths- I bought Andrew Er for topic based Fabian Ng on problem sums and Li Fang Lan books..

Avrilf,
Same here. I have loads of unfinished assessments and exam papers. Ds can inherit my dd P2 papers and the P1 will pass on to my niece. Otherwise it is a waste. What hol pro have you planned for your kid? I only signed up for science camp.

Will need to go bras bash to browse through what to buy.

Aly_nat,
I saw the sci dictionary by eph at bras basah popular yesterday too. It comes with words and pictorial explanation of scientific terms. Thinking of checking out the price during book fest...

Maisy Daisy,

I have registered him for The World of Roald Dahl's 1 wk class @ Lorna Whinston.It started this week and he enjoyed it.

His Science lesson @ Mindstretcher will start on 9 Dec.

I signed him up for National Museum's Pompeii workshop (Mosaic Tessellation) and an interactive tour. He loves going to such events.

Tonight my hubby and him will be watching Walking with the Dinosaurs. Hope it will be as good as the one I saw years ago @ the museum.

We will be watching The Arabian Nights on Sun. Heard from my friends, it was quite nice.

Avrilf,
I watched Arabian nights yesterday. Qt nice although I prefer Scrooge. You must have done a lot research on the courses.I am laid back this year. Just returned from Tw and the kids is immersed in the Chinese culture. They seemed to be more keen to speak up. When we were at the nite market, my dd told me, she need "ying1 liao4 ". In the past she will only say they need water. We went to Babyboss where they had to act out in diff characters including as lawyer and judge. They were given scripts to read in traditional Chinese. Surprisingly, they could do it with some prompting. Will definitely return to tw for Chinese immersion.

Assessment Books picked by parents & tuition teachers, from Dec's issue of Young Parents :

English
Primary 3 Challenging English 4-in-1 (by M. Rani, EPH, $6.40)
Primary 3 Complete Practice Book For Grammar, Vocabulary And Comprehension (by Saira Yusof, EPH, $8.90)

Mathematics
Primary 3 Complete Step-by-Step Maths (by Simon Eio, EPH, $8.05)
Primary 3 Andrew Er's Maths Companion (by Andrew Er, EPH, $8.05)

Chinese
Primary 3 A/B Chinese Daily Intensive Practice (by Cai Yun Fei, EPH, $12.95)
Primary 3 Creative Chinese Writing (by Ni Si Jin, Greenleaf Publications, $7.50)

Science
Primary 3/4 Science Process Skills Lower (S'pore Asian Publications, $16.90)
My Pals Are Here! - Science Booster Volume A (Marshall Cavendish, $32) ... think Jolene bought this ...

Chicken Little,
the above seemed to meet your 2 assessment books per subject criteria
happy.gif

does anyone know if the daily chinese book mentioned above is too much for our kids, on top of daily homework from school? my gal used the weekly type this year and even then, she's somtimes not "on time". wonder if Popular sells the 2nd creative writing book.
as for maths, these 2 authors have been recommended all the time. anyone has tried the Andrew Er's thick assessment book (think it's green for P2)? wanted to buy this during the year but it costs $15 or $16 nett, so no discount even for Popular members. wonder if this thick book is better than his other books since no discount is given.
my friend (her son's in GEP) recommended me the 2nd science book too.

Thanks JH
Ha ha I shall hunt for these books. Printed out and will check it out

Last year I have 2 assessment book for Chinese. They are by chapter. So what I did was after she finished one chapter in school, she will do one of the book. The other one I kept for revision for test.

Dun think my girl will entertain me to do daily ha ha

Hi JH,

My son practised Maths using the Green book that you mentioned.

They have some critical thinking problem solving sums and more practices. Think is ok. But must really put an effort to finish the book.

Hi Maisy Daisy,
Great news that your children are starting to like Chinese more.

I din plan much too. Just happened to come across those activities
happy.gif

Planning to go Science Centre next weekend with my friends' kids cos my son requested to go There are 3 temporary exhibitions: CSI Experience, Robot Zoo and Fun w Dinosaurs
happy.gif

hi mummies,

wah.. so fast Dec already.
I am planning to go prawning with DS and my fren next sat. Following that my son and HB will be to science centre on weekday and discovery centre on weekend.Last week will be going to Malaysia.

Seems like i didn't plan for study time..Oops.
Got his P3 books and nicely packed into the sch book and deliver to place at in-law's place for use during sch reopen.

Back