(2002) Any 2002 babies?

hippo,

yeah my girl also, to her math is just formula. . Today i went trial for montensorri, not bad at least i could see some result. Quite exp is 140 for 4 lesson. Each lesson 120 min. But for abacus she is like your girl she didn't relaised is mistake she just accept the number on abacus

Cqn i check is zoophonics better or i can read.

Pin,
you went for the montessori math? at which location? the enrichment centre that i enrolled my boy in does not allow any trial. if you refer to montessori math, $140/4 lessons for 120min is consider 'cheap'. i am paying much more than that.
sad.gif

fz, Pin

if switch out of abacus, I don't have a replacement for her & there's no continuity leh. I think dd2 will totally forget how to count, worst isn't it?

so hard to find good Maths programme. Kumon so repetitive, she lagi cannot take it. Now already so hard to coax her to do a few pages of homework

not familar with MPM. maybe I should visit a center to find out more

fz

hi i went to cs montessories at bukit timah plaza, this centre just open 1 or 2 month ago. Sorry not 120 mn is 90 min (Poor at countiung). Do you stay around west side

hippo,

i also never withdraw my girl from abacus yet, as still looking around for math enrichment. Till today i send me girl for trial i was so happy with the result that i sign immediately. I also consider Kumon before, but i am a lazy mum Kumon need to go 2x a week and only half hour.

Pin

Kumon just need to go once a week to hand in homework. 2x a week is an option only, not compulsory. My girl used to go once a week too

what result can you see after the trial?

mommies

I visited a MPM center today. Saw the materials, very colourful but quite similar to assessment books. A lot on patterns & logic thinking.

Plus point is MPM covered more areas than Kumon. For instance MPM covered MOE syllabus such as money. However, it is much less intensive compared to Kumon. Frankly speaking, I'm not too impressed leh, I feel that I can cover those areas too with assessment books. Maybe just 10% (from my quick glance) questions styled differently from the usual assessment books but that doesn't render the fees lor

Kumon is not perfect either. Parents still need to be very hardworking to bridge the gap since a lot of topics in MOE syllabus are totally not covered in Kumon

hippo,

at least after the trial they let her do some assessment, and all the answer she did it by herself. But very simple math, only addition but at least after one lesson can do some math, not like abacus learning only formula.

hi can anyone advise me how to order old navy, as they dun allow oversea credit card. I need to order about us 300 so not able to join spree. Thank you

hippo2002,
in a lot of enrichment, still need the parents to do revision and bridge the gap...cannot run away from that. :p

Pin,
going by cost per hour, your MMI enrichment is stilll cheaper than mine!
did you girl join the course halfway? my boy won't be able to touch on addition for another 2 weeks!
did you manage to get the curriculum?

fz

since this is a newly open school, so only 2 student in one class for math enrichment. They will assess her and then see which level should her be in. So the first day they already let her to 5 pages of assessment with 8 - 10 question. But is only simple math question. No i never got the cirruculum. I think they got 4hr program also for 1500 + that cover phonic, math, chinese etc.

Pin,

Regarding Old Navy, all the mothers pay by Credit Cards don they? I dont think there should be any problem paying by credit card? Perhaps you can PM one of the mummies from overseas Spree? They should be in a better position to advise you.

mommies

how much time does your child spend doing homework or assessment books daily?

fz

revision is fine. But I expect myself doing full fledge Maths assessment books with my girl even if I restart her on Kumon, in order to bridge the gap. Worried too much work for her

hippo2002,
may be ok for now, but when reach P1 will be pretty hectic.

for homework/assessment, depends on how fast he choose to do it..can be 15min or 45min (especially if involve chinese character writing).

hippo2002,

dd1 spend about 20 minutes on her assessment books daily. Depending on her mood, i try to ask her to do 4 pages of math and 4 pages of English but if i see that she is not really cooperative, i will reduce to 2 each. Usually 4 pages is for MCQ, those that require writing like verbs and nouns, perhaps only 2 pages each.

I still don see alot of homework from her school. The most is Chinese character, 1 page per week.

How about your dd1?

dd1 spends about one & half at her desk Mon-Fri. Weekends off.

But actual coverage not much lor, she dilly dally mah. Maths around a chapter if she's productive that day. Otherwise 2 pages. Chinese usually 2 pages or write 1 page in exercise book.

English also 2 pages but twice a week only because by the time she finishes Maths & Chinese, she's usually not willing to continue with English

Not feasbile to space out her homework time because she is distracted the moment dd2 returns from kindergarten, wanting to play with her sister. So I have to cramp everything in while dd2's at school

Hi Devi,

We are in the same shoes
happy.gif
I'm residing at Redhill. Considering of sending my gals to CHIJ Kellock too. Personally, I like the school's environment. They have the youngest principal in MOE. Like the ballet & gymnastic classes that they offer. Wat's more it's a single session :p

Anyway, I called the school to enquire abt my proximity & was told that we are out of the 2 km zone. Heard that balloting was conducted for the past yrs. Sigh ..... Maybe, I'll have to consider River Valley (slightly nearer) / Radin Mas which unfortunately are out of 2km zone. So chances of balloting are very high. Sigh ....

Btw, are u a Catholic by chance ? If yes, was told that u'll sure can get into CHIJ Kellock. To reconfirm, call the school up :p

So far, i only enrolled my gals into Kinderart @ Demspey. I'll coach them as & when i have time at night or during weekends.

Like wat fz has mentioned, I certainly falls under the category that would let my kids enjoy now & worry abt P1 later
happy.gif
Aiyah, they still have such a long journey to study leh. Just my 2 cents worth.

For my case, my ds dont have any homework from school at all. In the afternoon when my dd is taking a nap, ds will write a page of chinese everyday and this will take him probably abt 20mins. And usually when I'm back from work in the evening, I will make him practise Eng and Maths on alternate days, abt 30mins but can be up to 1 hour (cos of distraction), which usually covers 2 chapters (depends on his speed). In the case where there's ding xie (from Tien Hsia) on that particular week, he will focus more on that and i will cut down on the rest. I also give him spelling once every 2 weeks or once a month. Strictly no homeworks on weekends.

BTW mummies, i believe some of your kids love to read. What kind of books are they reading? My son loves to read Berenstein Bear series, gospel books and since he loves to read, I thought of intro other stories to him. Any good titles or series to recommend? How abt Enid Blyton?

ssm,
my boy hates reading.
dunno why. have been reading to him since young. apparently, he prefers me to read to him than he read himself. Ask him to read, he said 'no thanks', and ran away. Nowadays, the only stuff he reads is his berries small booklet...and that is only if i do revision with him. think he is like his dad...hates reading. my 1 yr old, on the other hand, likes to help himself to the bookshelf and do some self-'reading' (probably picture gazing) daily.

mummies,
how do we strike a balance between this...
some months back, my boy is very upset whenever he can't score full marks, i said it is alright to make mistakes and don't have to get perfect scores. now, he is contented that he gets only 1-2 wrong answers, and is reluctant to doublecheck his work to try to get it all correct.
haiz.

ssm,
I borrow my books from the library which has extensive collection. Based on my boy's interests, his favourites include Elmer Elephant series (in both Chinese & English), Curious George, Mr. Men and authors like Eric Carle and Leo. Both my kids enjoy Enid Blyton short tales too but I must read for them lah.

fz

no, I didn't ask her to check home assessments, only ask her to check during her Maths compeition.

But that is a great idea. Shall start doing that

hippo2002,
for a while, i thought we have a new member. ;)

it is pretty hard to believe that your girl dillys dallys as she is trained under Kumon....if she can complete those task at the specified timing, i don't think she is anywhere near having attention deficit.

fz

I was talking to my friend today & she said my girl may have attention deficit when I complained about her procastination. Got me worried....

Hi Ma22,

I just got back from holidays, last Monday i was at MOE to check my chances for CHIJ Kellock but unfortunately i was told "slim" cos its vacancies are filled on earlier phases and the school do not go for balloting. This happened last year. Same goes for Radin Mas. I guess i will register my girl at Queenstown primary since its opposite my block.

I am not Christian and also heard chances are good if you are. Is your girl going for any enrichment. I am looking for Chinese enrichment for my girl to prepare her for P1 do you have any idea?

Since we are neigbours, we should meet for coffee someday..My girl is studying at Montessori Farrer Road.

Hippo 2002
ADHD refers to hyper-active child who have keep moving and cannot sit still. If your gal can sit still, then it's not ADDH. My dd is also like that so may not be as serious as you think. She gets easily distracted too. I heard that such kids need to learn discipline and persistence. Anyway, I thot of letting my dd learn piano so as to sharpen her attention.

Hi Hippo2002,

Just to share my personal experience.

When my DD was 5yrs old, she couldn't sit still and hv short attention span. I started by getting her to do her homework for 15mins, then let her play. Slowly I increased to 20mins, 25mins and so on. By 6yrs old, she was auto-pilot, able to sit down and complete work assigned to her.

So, you may want to give your DD some time to adjust to the desk bound routine. If there's no improvement after certain period of observation, then you seek professional help.

mommies, thanks for sharing your view
happy.gif

She is not hyper, but procastinate a lot. I read on the web that is also a subset of attention deficit.

However, she's not active at all, I have to drag her to gymnastic class initially. Now better, at least willing to exercise a little. She simply day dreams & procastinate a lot, very slow motion. Not attentive & drift off to wonderland in the middle of her class.

Nv Ren
thanks for the tips on stretching her attention span.

Iwg26
she refuess to take piano class. No interest leh. I believe music is very good for brain development

Hippo,
maybe try to find something that she's really interested and get her engaged, boost her morale and increase her confidence. Sounds like your girl is bored. My dd is a chatterbox so we send her to speech and drama, she really enjoys herself. Not sure if in long term, it helps her to "focus" but we want her to learn to persist and hopefully, succeed in achieving something - need not be academic.

Hi,

I am a sahm with 2 kids. Boy-6yo and girl-5yo. Staying in sembawang.
Both my kids are taking abacus but i still hv mixed feeling how beneficial will it help their maths infuture. I am reading your archived threads on going into muliplication, got to mesmorising timetable. I thought of switching them to MPM, any mummies kids in MPM and how well are they mastering their maths?
thanks!

Hi hippo2002,

Thought of putting him in Endevour Pri.. newly open sch in sembawang. Canberra is v popular every yr balloting. But i heard their standard drop.
btw where do u stay?

Shirley

Hi mummies,

I am from the Aug08 MTB thread. Sorry to interrupt but my friend who wks in a market research company is urgently looking for a mother aged between 25-45 with a child in Pri 1-4 for a survey. The mother will be paid $70 and the group survey will be held on 1 April, tuesday at 6.45pm. If keen, pls PM me.

Thanks

mommies

any outbreak of HFMD in your kid's kindergarten?

my kids' kindergarten had 5 cases recently. I'm quite concerned. One even in the same class as my girl. Don't know whether I should keep them at home...

hippo,
so far, my kids' kindergarten dont have such cases *keeping fingers crossed*. Honestly, if I were u, i rather keep them at home.

Hi

The child care centre my son went to also had a few cases. This morning i discovered 2 ulcers in his mouth and took him to the doctor. Doc said ulcers only discover this morning and no fever or rashes so it's too early to determine if it's HFMD. Doc said to keep him at home to monitor for few days. He had HFMD last year too. Had lots of ulcers in the mouth. Rashes on hands and feet.

Worse of all i was infected too. I even had ulcers in my throat. Drinking water was killing me. Blister like rashes on hands and feet which were very sore. The pain was unbearable...

for the past 3 weeks, my boy was home due to bad cough and cold...went back to school last wed...no notice on HFMD...think i better check with the teachers...

*haiz*

my daughter had high fever last evening. Checked her mouth and hands and feet, no signs of HFMD *fingers crossed* and there's no such case in her school too.

Saw in today's newspaper there are more HFM cases. So far my kids' school have none. Keep fingers crossed.

Mummies,
Did you read newspaper today. All the food prices like rice going up? Seems like inflation is getting worse.

i just called up my boy's school to check if they have any HFMD cases and they said no...then i asked them if they are doing any checks and they said yes...then when i said my boy said there are no checks done, they said they are going to start today....:p
hope they don't have caller ID cos i didn't identify myself...:p

according to the kindergarten, MOE required all schools to check temperature from 1st April due to severity of HFMD

Previous 1 or 2 weeks, the school checked mouth & palms

Back