(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Hi mummies,

My girl will aso be taking her Eng Paper 2 today. Ive been reminded her to read correctly, slowly and finished the sentence before attempting the questions! And also to check & check her work.

Hi Mummies,

My son's exam starts today. What I can do now is only to revise the mistakes he used to make.

Hope he will not be careless cos last nite when my hubby gave him a test, he missed out 1 page. Haiz...

Jolene: So envy you!

hi mummies,
my boy's first paper starts tomorrow!
so fast! end of P1....seems like yesterday that they just went through orientation....

Hi All Mummies,

Jia you....All the best to 2002 kids...

Finally I can relax....now anxious abt the result....hahaha so long she maintain her standard I would be very happy....

Ya..time really flies, doesn't it. I can still rem her 2nd day at school - forgot to put on her name tag and sch badge. She was so worried when I told her to stay at the canteen while the rest of the class went to the hall for assembly. I sped home as fast at I could to get them for her. ha ha.

Jolene
Congrats that you can rest liao.

Ha ha BP,
me too din do much revision. Yday just went thru her spelling list and sharpen her pencils and colour pencils and knock early together.

Now she should be having her first paper liao. Realli up to her liao.

my son's compo was yesterday. then got to wait for this coming friday for his English paper 1 and listening compreh and spelling. Next week then will be his Maths and Chinese. Looks like I got to wait for another week before I can relax. Anyway, I also did not revise much with him. Ya, talking about pencisl... I've totally forgotten to sharpen his pencils on Monday for his compo. Absent minded me... Aiyo..
sad.gif
Not sure if he's still using his mechanical pencil to write not, because I've told him do not use them for exams, use the traditional ones... I must remember to check tomorrow for his Friday's English..

Ya, time really flies... remember we were talking about which schools to register, sch orientation, which school bags to buy, etc... so fast P1 coming to an end liao... oh...

My dd will be having her EL paper 1 - listening comprehension, composition, spelling tomorrow and CL paper 1-listening comprehension on Friday (luckily no "ting xie" and composition). Paper 2 for EL & CL on next mon and tues, Math on Wed and it will be holiday for both of us for the rest of the year.ha..ha.. (just can't wait for that to happen).

Nate, why do you prefer him to use the traditional pencils, any reasons?

oh.. my son started using mechanical pencil think in semester 2. But kids don't know how to control their strength, thus the lead keeps breaking... so they will be busy clicking their pencils and when comes to short lead, u can't write well and they will busy exploring their pencil till they can write. that is why time is wasted there, rather than on their papers. Isn't it? traditional pencils is when blunt, you only switch to the next sharper one or use the sharpener to sharpen it. much faster!

Hi
I also dont know when my girl starts to use mechanical pencils. She wld buy the mechanical pencils and the leads as well. Ya agree they dont really know how to control using the mechanical pencil leads. Prob shes too lazy to keep sharpening the pencils!

Ya nate, now that you mentioned it, i realise my dd also do that. You have a point..

Nate, do you know of any art class for kids near our area or cc? Thanks.

Nate
me too same as you. I confiscate all her mechanical pencils today. Because she will waste time loading new lead or sharpening the blunt one which is those stabilo thick kind of lead.

So today I loaded all with traditional ones

Never come to my mind to allow the kids using mechanical pencils till they reach P3. But it was my father in law who introduced them to my kids... ha...seeing the handwritings can be neater and finer, because kids don't sharpen their pencils frequently, so I closed one eye to it loh. But kids are kids, they are busying loading and clicking. Did not give my son the whole tube of lead because will be finished very soon, so he only goes to my FIL for leads when he runs out in his pencils. I also worry, if given him the whole tube, he may finish all without our notice during exams. Thus, he will not have any pencils to write on... ha.. so to play safe, better to use traditional one for this exam period.
happy.gif

Hi Valerie,
My kids used to go The Jeluntung CC for art on Saturdays. But too tiring because they have lessons in the first half, so I've stopped. Another one they had attended before was at Blk 413, but it was held on Mondays. Had stopped since my son started P1 because he is in the afternoon session

Thanks nate. My dd requested to attend art classes during school holiday. Will check Jeluntung CC out.

Regarding mechanical pencils, my dd really wasted alot of leads and now she is asking me to buy her shaker type and the stabilo thick lead type.

one paper down!! woohoo!!!
my boy said he checked 10 times and then have plenty of time to 'sleep'; hope it's not cos he rush through the paper!

I let my gal use mechanical pencils cos she is very obsessed in sharpening the traditional type of pencils, she cannot stand blunt pencil. *faint* So far she has been using mechanical pencil for her daily work. But I am the one controlling the lead. For example, I told her if her mechanical pencil get stuck, don't waste time fixing it - use the traditional pencils.

Someone complained about having compo in P1 SA2

Below taken from asiaone:

Exam too tough for primary one?

In a letter to my paper published on Monday, Ms Koh Li Png wrote that her son, who is in primary one, will be tested on composition in his final examinations next week. According to her, the composition component of the exam paper will contribute 10 per cent of the score for English.

She was surprised because her elder son, who studies in the same school, was tested on composition only from primary three onwards. She also checked with friends, who say that their children were not tested on composition in their schools.

Finally, her letter questioned, "Is the school raising the bar too high for Primary 1 pupils or is this required by the Ministry of Education?"

Shin Min Daily approached five schools to find out if English composition was a requirement for primary one students at their schools. They found that it was not a requirement by the Ministry of Education, but some schools included it in their syllabus.

Canossa Convent Primary principal Miss Christina Teo said teachers would give the students proper guidance on how to write a composition before the examination. For example, they tell the students stories, and ask them to share their opinions on the stories; then they will write a story together as a class before writing in groups; and finally, write their own compositions.

She says that the children love to share their stories, and the English paper only requires them to write eight to 10 sentences to describe a picture, so it is definitely within their ability.?

Chongzheng primary school principal Mrs Jasmail Singh Gill said that the school lets the students go through different experiences in the course of their learning. When answering composition questions based on pictures, the students can base their compositions on their experiential learning.

At Tao Nan, primary one students are asked to construct one sentence for each picture that they are given. Tao Nan School's principal, Mr Tony Tan felt that students should be tested on composition only at primary three.

"To test them on English composition at primary one is expecting a little too much," he said.

hmm... mummies, so what do you think? my son got compo, but not few sentences for 1 picture. Kind of 3 pictures, which will combine into 1 story. just need to write 3-4 sentence for each picture. I asked him what topic was give, he told me something about playing basketball then it rained kind of thing.
happy.gif

mine also got compo, 4 pictures, min 40 words, 3 para.

they were given park, bird park and zoo for practise. I wrote for him bird park and guide him for zoo; basically same story. Zoo came out in exam but he didn't use the intro I told him to write.

for mine, i ever see them practise for the pictures in SA1 already. But no indicate min no of words. Just say 3-4 sentences each picture.

tao nan doesnt have chinese compo, not even writing wif pictures. but have chinese listening compre. no LC for english.

my gal's last paper 2day! yippee!!

for my son's neighbourhood sch, the marks as follows
For Eng, main paper 65marks, oral 15marks, listening compre, 10marks, compo 10 marks -> total 100marks
For Chinese, main paper 70marks, oral 20marks, listening compreh 10marks -> total 100marks

JH
My gal also finish her exam today. Last paper Chinese. Hurray... Take a breather while I hold my breadth for the results! Yday her maths paper, she listen to our instruction to do detail steps (so that no silly mistake). The teacher commented it's good she does detail steps. Keep my finger crossed.

Compo;
She had her compo exam few weeks ago. Gotta write like 7-8 sentence based on 1 pic. They have been practicing that in school. My gal likes writing so it's still manageable for her. But my son next year P1 - I dunno how he's going to write compo as his writing skills is notorious.

Compo;
my boy's neighbourhood sch for english compo, they have a picture and supposed to write at least 5 sentences. i find it is acceptable. it is ok to expose them early so long we don't expect too much from them. i read the model compo available in Popular bookshop and can't believe it when they state that it is P1 standard. of course i dont expect my boy to write like that. :p

For chinese, they have to write 2 sentences for 1 picture. i find it ok too. the teachers are not expecting them to know how to write most of the words as helping words are given. they are only looking for proper sentence structure.

Hi All

For my gal English & chinese compo they were given one picture and they were told to write at least 5 sentences....I asked her abt her paper she said very easy...crossed my finger till I get to see the papers.

Hi Jolene, Nicholas is in ChungFu @ yishun. We are still adjusting P1 n now we have to gear up for P2. Gosh.. Time flies! How about your child which school..?

Hi mommies,

Finally my gal finished her last final paper yesterday. What a relieved for the mummy...My gal told me her Maths paper was very difficult. Oh mind!! that was her worst subject compared to Eng n Chinese. Hope she can passed ...

oh... mummies, do envy those whose kids completed exam... mine only start main paper for English and istening compreh this coming friday. next week then chinese and maths.
sad.gif

My gal is having her chinese papers today. Of the 3 subjects, Chinese is the one that we spent the least time and effort. Partly cos I do not know how to teach her, and I believe that she will not fail the paper. But now I am getting a bit worried. Keeping my fingers crossed that she can handle HYPY well.

bebe75,
i think HYPY's weightage is not alot cos semester 2's focus is on word recognition. the most i guess is one section of 5marks ba.
i think for chinese, the 'killer' will be in compre section....

my boy's chinese paper is tomorrow.

agree that 2nd semester, chinese is word recognition. For compre, I asked my son to find same words in the passage as the question then copy as answer.

I left 1 battle for Chinese paper tomorrow. Will only be doing the sheng zi biao at the end of text.

Compre, i feel my gal sometimes very careless, 1. like to write in own words . 2. incomplete answer.

You know my gal came back on both days telling me EL and Maths is easy. When I hear easy I oso worry she careless or never read question properly. Also afraid to hear difficult because dunno how she will fare.

Today my gal says easy and another forum mummy sms me to say her gal says a bit difficult. Now start to worry oso no easy. Already done.

Hi mummies,

Guess now we can do is to wait for our kids result. My girl will be having MT today. I dont hope for much from my girl for MT coz my MT is bad and i dont know HYPY. Will leave it to the tutor. Tmrw my girl can relax liao! Jia You to those mummies wif kids still having exams. All the Best!

caroline3sg,
i told my boy to look for similar words and copy direct too, but he always like to rephrase! copy the words also can miss out a stroke or 2! there was one practice and i told him to do checking in front of me for that sentence and he couldn't detect the mistake! right under his nose somemore...

Hi All

For Compre in Eng & Chinese they are suppose to rephrase the answer they are not allowed to copy directly from the passage...normally the teachers in school will teach them how to do it...

My gal had her chinese paper yesterday..she said no HYPY and compre...Wow..dunno real or not..if that is really the case, I can relieve liao.

Today is the final paper and her weakest subject - Maths..if she can score 70 for this paper..I will be very very elated.

Me too counting down the last paper. Now she should be in the midst. 1 more hour to go. Yippe.

Ha ha already gave her a pack of M& Ms to celebrate with her close friends during recess and advance for Halloween hee hee

Hurray to mummies whose kids finish their exams today. You can enjoy starting this weekend. My battle starts next monday ... can't wait for 19 nov, the last day of school to come, hahaha....

Back