2 Year Old Toddler Need Milk?

decbb

Recently brought my son to a PD at Thomson Medical Centre and I am shocked to hear from the pd that toddlers (above 1 year old) do not need to consume milk at all. He said that parents are generally "misled" by milk companies.

Any thoughts about this? May I know how much milk is your toddlers taking now? What is the daily food menu like?

Thanks

hi decbb,

yeah most pds said no need to drink milk after a year old. I suppose this is bcos toddlers can take more solid meals after 1 year old since after that, dun have to be too concern over any food allergies as their body system are more matured now. So without milk, they also can grow well with the right/nutritious food intake.

But got 1 aunty told me, kids must drink milk else will have no strength when they become adults
happy.gif
!
My sis in law said milk is the best source of calcium, so should continue if the child wants it.

My son hates milk, we have to spoon feed him, he will not drink it willingly. If i dun give him milk, he will ask for a lot of junk food.

Daily food menu here, how abt urs?
-milk at 240 to 450ml depending on his mood
-brkfast consist of oat porridge + crackers + fruits, or bread with jam/cheese + fruits
-snack of yogurt/fruits or some crackers/milo
-lunch consists of beehoon soup or porridge or rice
-dinner consists of rice or porridge

decBB,

My PD recommend kids below 3 yrs old should ideally have 3 milk feeds a day. Min 2 milk feeds a day leh.

If kids do not like milk can give cheese or other diary products for substitute.

Hi cherrie

My son's typical meal
- morning: milk around 120 - 150ml (depends on mood too)
- lunch: meehoon/ porridge/ mee sua with fish or meat (grinded)
- dinner: same as lunch or rice
- milk around 150ml before sleep

My son don't fancy snacks. He hardly takes fruits too. He always spit out new food that we like him try.

He is already two years old but still can't chew meat well. Same for your son? The weird thing is he can take McDonald nuggets (which is meat too!) and hotdogs well.

What time does your son wake up? How do you squeeze in breakfast? For my son, he usually wakes up around 8 to 9 plus and we will give him milk (using bottle).

Hi Athen

My son don't like milk, cheese and diary products. Any suggestion to increase his calcium intake? We tried to give him pd's prescribed multivatmins but he refused to drink at all.

hi decbb,

my son wakes up real early, abt 6plus or 7am, sometimes 5plus, he is alrdy singing in bed.
That's y I am able to squeeze in brkfast... But then my brkfast is also v light and 1 hr after his milk feed. His brkfast only consists of 1.5 to 2 tablespoon quaker oats mixed with boiling water and some pieces of fruits or crackers. If he eats more bread/quaker oats in the morning, then for his lunch, i will reduce the noodles/rice intake.

Oh, i think ur son is like mine, he can eat bak kwa and eats even faster than me, but he doesn't seem to chew well for other meat!! SO i suppose he is just choosy abt it...

What snacks u give? I usually give a small piece of bread with jam/cheese, or some cakes, some cracker to dip in cheese, fruits....Sometimes none at all bcos he no mood to eat.

Actually, veg like broccoli and spinach also provides calcium if i am not wrong. Also can cook soup with pork/chicken bones, buy fresh silver fish from the market/NTUC and cooked for him to eat, plenty of calcium!

For new food...I always eat the food without serving it to him, he will want some when he sees me eating, seems like whatever is on my plate will look more delicious than on his....If he doesn't like it today, try another few days later.

Could it be bcos ur son doesn't like sweet taste? My son doesn't like it, he will complain milk is v sweet, he 's on gain IQ. But then he doesn't like cow milk also....he also doesn't like cakes bcos too sweet for him.

How abt yogurt for ur son? My son also doesn't like it but he still eats if he is feeling v hot cos the yogurt is cold...

Hi DecBB,

Cherrie is right. Broccoli, spinach & dark green veg are rich in calcium. Try giving these veg.

My son (almost 3 yrs) also don like new food quite a picky eater. I have difficulty getting him to eat new food such as western food. So very headache if we want to eat out.

DecBB,
think we met on another thread b4. trying to recall which 1..my boy oso dec 06 bb.

i hav the same problem like ev1 else..fussy 2yo eater. and i muz agree on the part abt nuggets. he so lazy to chew meat,but no problem with nugget,fishball and ngoh hiang. funny rite? i think maybe the nugget made of ground meat with lots of seasoning,so easier/tastier to chew? im gg to make home made chix nugget 2mr for him. hope he will like it.

evday plan his meals and put in so much effort to cook,but if itz not to his taste, then all my efforts goes to waste, not to mention me stressing over his food(nutritional) intake.

there was 1 day, he totally din eat proper meals. morning din eat his cereal, lunch 1/4 tofu, dinner 2 slices of cheese..cos tatz all he wans to have tat day! *vomit blood*

itz so FRUSTRATING!

as for the wat ur pd say abt the milk. my pd oso discourage me frm gvg 2much milk. evtime i complain to her abt his food intake she will ask me to stop gvg so much milk. she say 1 day 300mls is enuf frm 1yo onwards. but my mum say kids small muz drink mre milk so their bones will be strong. i oso dun noe liao.

my son wakes up abt 7-8plus. if i can wake up i gv him some milk at 7am, then he will nuah in his cot till 8plus. bfast is cereal with egg/fruits. i alternate betw oats,mix grain,meusli. lunch is rice/mee suah/porr .smtimes when he is REALLY fussy i steam egg with veg,soft food easy for him, easy for me oso. dinner is the same but i gv smtimes, potatoes instead of rice. he loves sooup, so i will make in bulk simple chix/beef stock and add diff ingredients when i heat it up each day.
snacks he likes cornflakes and rice krispies dry, banana, cracker, cheese. he's into self feeding now, so evthg i throw in a bowl and let him eat by himself.

there r times when he dun want me to feed, he want to eat by himself..and to my surprise, can finish half a bowl of rice like tat. mayb u can try let ur son do tat. it cld increase his interest in food?

hi

generally if your child is a fussy eater, then milk i think is necessary. Like my toddler girl, sometimes only eat rice for a meal!

sungrapes,

I am like u. every meal is a stressful occasion for me. i always need to prepare like 3 dishes, so in case first dish doesnt want, throw away, then comes 2nd dish. My girl doesnt even have proper breakfast(And she wakes up early < 7am). I just give her milk for breakfast. I am a FTWM, so weekends i do this. Weekdays when my mum is taking care, she will try to give her some breakfast altho at times also to no avail.

i dont even dare to think of self feeding. cos when i feed her, i need to coax her, chase her around, distract her with books. Self feed ? cant imagine it will be..

Hi Sungrapes

I found your nick familiar too. But couldn't remember where and when we met. Ha.

I don't know how to cook, so basically my maid helps to prepare the food for my boy. My maid isn't a good cook either so his food is quite standard e.g. mee hoon/ sua soup/ porridge cooked together with fish or meat &amp; veg. We don't cook separate dishes.

Jenny
Definitely yes. You can give cheese to kids as young as 1 year old.

stumbled by,
me 2! i oso have standby food juz in case he dun like wat i cook. my standby food is mee sua cos is quick to cook and he likes it, tho i try not to gv too often in case he sick of it, then i will have no plan B liao.

maybe 1 day u shd try let her self feed, u might be surprise by the result. i oso quite shock my son can finish half bowl rice, he refuses to open his mouth wen i try to feed him, i so fed-up i gv him the the spoon and told him to do watever he wan.then he juz eat the plain rice by himself and i managed to sneak in some veg and meat on the side.

dec bb,
im oso lousy cook. im trying to learn now frm my mum,cos my son likes her cooking. i oso got some simple cook books im trying to attempt. but most of the time is the same thgs for him. i dun cook for family cos i find it so troublesome to wash/cut etc.

cheese is good for kids but if you found out it cause allergic to her/him, better do not give it.

at this moment, my boy will only eat 3 thgs willingly...

1 cheese
2 hard boiled egg without the yolk
3 tofu

so he's gg to eat these for the rest of his life it seems....

Hi DecBB,

What yr PD said is right, kids after a yr old don't need milk. They can drink milk till 18 mth at the most. A lot of pple are misled by milk companies, as there are a lot of media coverage on the "goodness" of milk.
I am 1 good example, I drink milk for 10 over years but I don't see my bones get any stronger, in fact I don't feel healthy. After I stopped drinking milk, I don't hv phlegm anymore which I don't know why I keep hving it.

A lot of food contain calcium, eg, kailan, seaweed(they are very rich in calcium &amp; other minerals), sesame seeds, ikan bilis etc.

If you are interested, you can read this article http://www.richardseah.com/naturalhealth/nomilk.html

hi mummies,
i wanna share with u wat hap recently.

my boy had diarrhoea recently,so pd say cant drink milk and no dairy products.

for 1 wk he din had any milk..guess wat? his appetite increased tremendously. can finish all his lunch/dinner with minimum fuss.

so now i gv less milk..

blessing in disguse?

No doubt, Milk esp those formula apparently reduce appetite.
I was frustrated with my girl also very picky eater and eat little of other things.
She drinks 3 bottle 180 ml each a day, 2 main meal, 2 snack (fruit or cake). She is now 26 mos.
However I also read that having milk is good for those fussy eater, as replacement.
I personally feel, milk/calcium is very important for growing body.
I think as long as they still like it, milk/calcium is good for them, when they can choose, like I did, I dislike them unless they are flavoured or milo.
Still do, but I force myself since I am pregnant again.
You can see the difference of adults who had enough calcium when they are young and the opposite, I also read that body can only store calcium when they growing, after 20, they can only store it temporarily until 30, after 30, you need regular daily intake because body cannot store it, hence a lot of calcium supplement for older people.
Calcium is those things you can only see the effects as you grow older in the form of bone density, stronger teeth, etc

hi hi mummies, am new to this thread but I can understand how you all feel. Generally, I think milk is essential for their calcium intake esp if your kid is a fussy eater. =D My girl is 27mths now..she's generally quite ok with her food intake, plus 4 times milk of 180ml each feed. I find that she tends to eat more when she has a bowl &amp; spoon to feed herself besides us feeding her. So I guess it helps them feel 'adult' and they eat better. Maybe you mummies can try that? Of course, there are times when no matter what we do, they just don't want anything. i guess that's part of their growing up process, sometimes my girl refuse to drink milk or sometimes refuse to eat... can really vomit blood then.. =D

me too... sometimes my 2 year old son can eat alot of porridge but sometimes he did not one to open his mouth. thinking of ways to coax him to eat. one or two mouth i am really very happy le.but i also give him crackers/bananas/apples/milk in case he don wan his proper meals.

mummies,
many parents told me they enforce the rule of eating at the table vs having them run around while feeding.

I HAVE tried very hard to do the same. but he wld rather not eat when i tried to make him sit at the table. keep wriggling to get off the seat. so how like tat? in the end i think i'd rather feed him around the hse then to have him refusing his meals at the table.

i even bought a kiddy's table and chair hoping he will feel grown up and therefore mre willing to eat at the table. but it doesnt work..
sad.gif

i always envy other parents when i c their toddlers sitting calmly in the hi-chair at restaurants. my boy will nv do tat.

personally I feel that milk helps to make them grow faster. I have a neighbour who feed milk only to her gal... her little gal was like 18kg when she is 2 yrs old..SHE IS REALLY BIG! there was once she shake hands with my little girl...my little cried immediately as it was so painful!... So I feel that beside feeding solid food to them, we still need some milk to help in their growth.

we all agree calcium is very important to keep the bones strong. i'm a firm believer that kids must drink milk daily. coz we can't really ensure they get enough daily calcium intake in the meals, unless you start measuring each &amp; every food they ate....

which i think is very exhausting lah..

yes I do agree that beside solid food, we still need milk for their intake. Both my kids at the age of 3yr and 18mths have been taking milk and sometime they can even ask for milk after an hours of their meal.

Personally, I find that milk is important for them especially they are in the growing stage. I am glad that my kids still drink milk cos my cousin gal doesn't like milk since born and she just ate mainly cheese.

Cheer!

Dear moms,i have a very good product to intro its from e.excel call Nutrifresh. its contains 15 different types of fruits and vegi, suitable for all ages. i've been giving to my 2yr old gal it really helps in providing her the everyday needs of vitamins and nutrients the body needs, most importantly it is very affordable.if you need more info can email me at [email protected]

Your doctor is right (about being misled by milk companies). The only milk a child ever really needs is mothers' breast milk. Immunity is built over growing years but this does not mean you do not need to maintain that immunity after 12 or 21!

If quality of milk is good and your baby is well, your baby is the best decision-maker on how much milk is enough. But due to pollution to air, lifestyle, children may need vitamin supplements.

Where I am from, kids need extra Vitamin D in winter. Here in Singapore, you have sufficient natural sunlight to help production of natural vitamin D.

I had read an article, a doctor found out that bones are made up of minerals and not calcium! Calcium hardens concrets. So too much calcium intake makes our bones painful in old life!

And milk is not absorbed by humans as it's metabolism rate is 9x slower than human, those lactic acid will deposit in our bones, causing pain in old lives.

And doc is misleading that we must have dairy pdts which we don't need it at all....

I don't know how true.. Just that I had stopped drinking milk since 1 YO and still fine =)

No, me not a vegan so not pushing about stopping meat but reading all those articles and videos really affected me!

Hi Katie's mom u r rite i've also heard about this report and i have also cut down abit on my 2yr old's milk intake by mixing with nutrifresh as it was made up by 20 n not 15 different fruits and vegetables.if u need more info i'll be glad to help u know more.

katie's mom,
very interesting info..any chance of getting a link so we can also learn mre abt this doc's research?

hi katie's mom, yes the pdt is a mlm pdt but it is experimented by a very professional doctor who is into Nutritional Immunology.now my family are taking alot of their pdt to strenghten our immune system.if u want me to help u purchase it i'll be glad to help n we can meet up n i can pass to u.

thks katie's mom. r u totally not gvg ur kids any milk then? cant believe all these donkey yrs, we were misled. i told my mum juz now abt this milk thg, she was very skeptical.

Diamondstar, OIC! But I don't need it now cuz I still have 5 mths supply of Friso 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sungrapes,
I tell you, no one believes that we don't need milk.

I am just disgusted by how the dairy cows are treated... I don't really care at all cuz I don't have pets and me not an animal lover so i just ignored anything about animals!

Since she's already 1YO and on solid, I don't think milk is that important. It's only liquid leh! Drink for one whole year as main food, not sick? Hahahahaaaa...

Morning I give her 150ml milk mixed with a teaspoon of cereal, then lunch at 2 hrs later and then snack would be soyabean drink with biscuits, bread, cereal flakes (eated without milk cuz she don't like it soggy), kueh, etc. Then dinner and then last milk feed before bed.

I used to worry that how come other bb drink so much and eat so much everyday while mine cannot.

Then i put myself into her shoes, what if EVERYDAY i am fed so full, how will i feel?! Sick right?! Sometimes we also won't feel like eating.... I think it's good so that we won't overwork our tummys! And feels more alert without feeling so bloated and stuffed with food EVERYDAY!

That is what I think and my mom also often tells me don't worry if she doesn't finish a bowl of porridge each time as just like adults, we might not very hungry at that time.

I will also feel and see her tummy, it's hard means she had enough liao and I can clean up, watch TV! No stress about making 100% sure she's full!

Hi Katie's mom, wah tat's alot of supply but u can buy to mix it with the milk powder as me too is mixing it then give to my gal.u r oso rite to mix it with cereal as too much milk is not good.

milk to me is somewhat like a nutrient drink,juz tat the base is made frm cow's milk.(smthg like the protein drink tat bodybuilders take). I suppose scientists were finding a way to mimic the nutrients and composition of breastmilk and cow's milk is the easiest and most readily available source.
there's so many foods tatz milk-based..(cheese, yoghurt), and many tat uses milk. i dun think we can totally eliminate the use of milk or diary products..i guess for me, evthg in moderation is the best policy to go. But i will certainly pay mre attention to the impt of minerals in my child's diet now.

they say knowledge is power. itz certainly impt for ppl to noe abt this calcium 'lie', if not to believe in it. at least, we r able to make informed choices in future.

sungrapes,

ya, it's all on our own perceptions as everything found in internet, books or anyone cannot be 100% true too. What are true nowadays? hahahaa... Only cold hard cash!

I am very irritated by people who are vegans cuz i think they are just crazy to miss out good food in the world, what's the purpose of living?!!! For me, I live to eat =p

Then, i got to know that cows, goats, chicken, ducks are not meant to be reared to eat. And when animals are frightened esp when in the killing ground, they let out poisonous enzymes in their bodies which flows to their bone marrow even when dead. Taurine is actually the hormones of the frightened slaughtered animal... Yucks!

I watched those videos on farming i got so disgusted. Well, maybe the farms in the ang moh countries are more brutal but i certainly can't bring myself to eat meat... even eating eggs I feel sick.

I think i am abnormal. hahahahahahaaaaa..........

Anyway, will eat anything in moderation until the world tells us that meat are not for human..... i asked my frn how come the govt never tell us? cuz they have to protect the big companies... Imagine the big dairy companies and meat companies close down.... how many ppl will be out of job =p

Hi Mummies,

When my kids were below 1 YO, I get worried when they do not want to drink milk (both my kids got same problem, start to reject milk when they were about 4 -5 mths).

I find ways and means to ensure that they get enuff milk intake - mix cereal to milk, eat paste-like cereal, introduce yogurt, cheese, etc.....

As they gets older, ironically, they are drinking more milk than they were younger, willingly.

Now, both my kids are 3yo and 1.5yo, I leave it to them to decide if they want milk - hot or cold milk since they are already on solids and growing very well.

Conclusion - So long as the kids are eating balanced diet and growing well, milk may not be a necessity afterall.

Nowadays, conventional pasteurized milk is just loaded up with hormones, antibodies. The cow's are corn fed instead of grass fed. Avoid pasteurized milk for your children including formula milk. Give your child almond milk, raw milk, brown rice milk, oat milk. Milk with few ingredients, ingredients that you yourself recognize. Avoid soy milk as 90% of soy in the world are contaminated with GMO.

michelle, i read on many of our soy milk (those available in NTUC) packaging, it says they use non-GMO soy beans?? not sure how true..

Interesting thread. I know milk is good but I am simply lactose intolerant. Hate the taste of it since I was a kid and feel sick/bloated after drinking. The only way out is to take some soya bean milk and supplements
sad.gif

My kid's still drinking milk but eating more solid food now. To me, so long as kid is healthy and growing well, I allow him to try all sorts of food so that I don't end up having to pander to a fussy eater.

Back