My 5 year old was scratched by his classmate

jo_tadd

My 5 year old, coming to 6 years old just started his K2 in another PCF centre. Due to his previous weak health and sensitive nose, I opt for half day class instead of full day. His previous preschool was shut down due to poor response.

From Jan till now, he was abused more than 1 instance. In his previous K1 class last year, there was this gal who was 1 head taller and double his size who pinched his back at least 6 times until it was red. He told me on his way home but I brushed aside because it was the first time I heard of him bullying her and I thought it was merely a playful pinch. Until I shower him and his entire back was red. There were scratch marks, blue black and skin torn. I brought him to see a doctor but the doctor kiasi don't dare to make comments. I showed his teacher but she refused to believe that the gal could be capable of such abuse. Until she admitted herself. That was close to the end of the semester.

During the PTC, the mother asked me why I said her daughter threatened my son not to tell the teacher of the abuse. If not she would tell all his friends not to befriend him. It was reduced to a small class of size 7. Many kids left by then. I told her mother what her daughter did. Apparently, she refused to apologize in class. Her mother asked her if what I said was true. She refused to admit it until the teacher said that her daughter admitted on her own accord few days back. Her mother told the gal to apologize but she refused to apologize. I let it slide since she is young and nothing much I could do.

So this year, he and she were supposed to be in the same morning class. After that incident, I got the principal of the new centre to swop him to another K2 class. There was no vacancy for the afternoon class. Somehow, for mother tongue class, they merge and he still get to see her.

She would sit beside him intentionally, make negative remarks of whatever he draw or write. And even ask questions like "Hey why are you here? Why are you in this class?" It happened daily not occasionally. I realized that telling him to ignore her wasn't gonna make herself scarced.

One day she punched him while seated in front of the class. She was seated right behind him. The thing that made me wonder is the principal and teacher are aware of their "history" but they did not attempt to separate them. I made a complaint to the principal. I saw the kid outside the school and asked her why she beat him again. The principal said I should not intimidate the kid. All I did was ask her and I can't even do that? I wasn't violent to her.

Currently the 2 of them were separated. There was only 1 instance when the boy seated in between them was absent and she pinched him once again. But this silly boy said it is ok no need to report to teacher because it wasn't painful.

Yesterday, another boy in their chinese class was holding a color pencil and seated in front of my son when he suddenly turn around and "draw" his face. My son told me that the teacher immediately punished him by making him stand and tried to clean up the color marks on his face using a wet tissue. The chinese teacher apparently informed the English teacher who was in charge of my son's class. She told me when I went to fetch him. I only saw the severity of the scratch when I went back. They told me not to tell the principal and the boy was punished.

Today the teacher told me the scratch was not caused by the boy. The form teacher even claimed that the scratch was already there when I brought him to school. She claimed that she asked my boy if it was caused at home and he said yes. However, I brought him home after school and when I shower him, he was screaming and crying in pain. More even when I applied aloe vera on his scratch.

I went to talk to the chinese teacher. I told her that she should be the one to tell me the full story instead of pass message even if she is not available. Moreover, they cannot say because it is not very serious, so they will close case and not tell the parent. I talked to my sister and she said in order for color pencils to leave marks, it must be applied with a lot of force. I tried on my own and it was true.

I kinda lost all confidence in the chinese teacher because it is not the first time and definitely not the second time but every time my boy was being abused, she was not aware. It was not the first time that boy bullied his friends. I thank god he didn't target his eyes or I should say his eyes were spared.

If the form teacher discovered the scratch yesterday morning, she should check with me. I was there. Moreover it wasn't a minor scratch.

All I can say is change school. It looks like they have serious issues managing children and bullying.

You can change school every now and then. But not forever. School bullying is real. Happens in every school. Hence it depends on your boy's luck.
I second aquietkindofpeace. Spend time on things you can change.
For preventive measure, educate your kid to spot bully act and teach them to defend themselves. Coz by the time u step in, the crucial moment is over. Hurt would hv bn done.
For corrective measure, gather all evidences. Includes photos, medical assessment from reliable doctors etc. Note down all comments from schools w regard to the incident. Don't let go if you don't get a satisfactory answer. If u can, minute it in a follow-up email. Build up your case for potential denial of fault party.
Request for meetup immediately w the fault parent for every incident together w a credible witness preferably the teacher or principal . They can't deny all the time for every incident. Show your kid u mean business if they classified their classmate act as bullying when they com to you. This will make them accountable for their claim too. (Coz some kids may exaggerate the event.. u know wat i mean)
As for parent, stay vigilant and give assurance, always. You cannot afford anythg to happen to your kids. Physical hurt can heal. Mental hurt, goes a long way.
*noone likes to deal w 'problematic' parent. So b one when comes to bully issue.

Last edited:

Back