2.5 years old boy not talking at all

jaslyntay

Hi, my 2.5 yrs old has not started talking at all, not even calling papa or mama. He had been assessed by a speech therapist from Nuh. He is not autistic, understand instructions well. He doesn't imitate at all. Is there any parents whose child is a late talker share your experience. What can I do to help him?

Hi, my 2.5 yrs old has not started talking at all, not even calling papa or mama. He had been assessed by a speech therapist from Nuh. He is not autistic, understand instructions well. He doesn't imitate at all. Is there any parents whose child is a late talker share your experience. What can I do to help him?

When my boy was 2.5 yrs old, he could only call papa. His development such as psychomotor skills was later than most of my friends' babies. I thought it was a global delay.

Upon advice my PDs, I sent my boy to a private speech therapist and she started to eliminate learning difficulties for me. She said my boy was not ADHD or autistic. During the few sessions, I could see my boy trying to pronounce the words. Back then, he was not in school.

I enrolled him into school shortly. I told the CC teachers about my difficulties and we adopted the same strategies in home and school. His teachers suggest that he can only have what he wants when he say out the word. We worked closely with this teachers and thankfully, his CC focus on holistic education. When we put him in school, he didn't even want to play with peers. He only wants to play with adults. When he was about 3 plus, he also had coping issues when I was pregnant with my second boy. His teachers also helped me to resolve these issues. So I suggest if he is in school, you need to work closely with his teachers because they can give you good strategies.

Some kids just need more time to blossom. My boy is 6 now. As he is a Nov baby, he is going P1 next year. We have no more issues with his learning. His vocab is alright and his Maths foundation is around early P2 students. He also speaks fluently in both languages, although he hates Chinese. Artistic skills is horrible. His analytical skills is also quite alright. He could follow diagrams and build his own robots. Science wise, he has some of the kits lying around at home but currently, he is not very interested. The telescope and microscope were used more often than my 3 yr old boy. Hahahaha.

Hi Chelsa, initially what did the speech therapist do to help your son? I am not sure if I want to continue with the speech therapy as the one who assessed him has retired.

Jaslyn,

I went to Leo Magan. But not sure if she is good as I only sent my boy for 3 lessons before stopping to enroll him into CC. She kept asking him to pronounce some words. It was the CC teachers who helped him more.

May I ask how the NUH therapist confirmed that he is not autistic?

Hi Jaslyn,
I believe it is not normal, but it is definitely not adnormal. It is because my son also started to talk at a very late age (can't recall how old he starts to talk). Last time i am also very worried like u. Now, he is already 6 years old....and he can talk very well. His memories is far better than others (commented by his childcare teacher). He can memories a few sentences just a few times of going through with him, provided he wants to learn, as he is too hyper active and not willing to sit down and listen to class lessons. I believe they are slow in talking because he is trying to see, hear and memories in his brain what we talked. Once he is ready to open his mouth, you will be surprise with his output.

Chelsa,
The speech therapist had a 45 mins session with my son. She played with him using our toys we brought and hers. Rearrange all the toys so that they were not in a certain sequence. He had eye contact with her and could follow her instruction. He babbled to the ST as a way to interact. Responded when she called him.

WonderNWonder,
How did u help him to speak out? Did he see a speech therapist? Think your son wasn't this late.

Jaslyn,
I din bring him to see a doctor, but i am sure he is slow to talk. Imagine, he can't even call Mummy. When he went to child care, he just cry and baby talk and it really makes me extremely worried because no one's child faces this situation.
I believe boys are slower than girls. Different child has different capacity and once their capacity arrive, they will perform themselves. I believe he is learning how to talk in his heart and he did not want to open his mouth to talk at this present moment. Why not you try to encourage him and talk, but don't talk baby talks to him, or else he will not speak our language.
I have 2 kids now. My gal learns to speak very fast because my auntie looks after her. She will talks to her and plays with her everyday without fail. Whereas my son is taken care by maid. She don't talked to him as much as my auntie and he is left alone almost the whole day, so less communication occurs.
Give him some time. He is fine and will be fine.

Hi mothers
Anyone can share about Divinity School for Especial Needs, Zee Learning and Kids4Kids?

I am sourcing for another school to replace St Gerard.

Back