Feb 2018 mummies to be

I'm still vomiting too. reaching week 17. But the intensity of throwing up is less intense.
I've gained like 2.5kg already, even with a bad appetite :eek:
Me too!!!! Still vomiting occasionally.. around week 15 now. Can't stand strong smells too. V gross!

But I put on 5 kg Sigh.

I was quoted 3.5k for March confinement. Any mommies have book or found their confinement lady? What's the range of the price?

Hi elyn02! I'm likely to go mt alvernia even tho doc is at TMC haha. Did that for my #2 because I really like mah environment. Very peaceful!

My doc only has 3 hosp for me to choose. Mt A, TMC and Mount E Novena. Cost wise I dont think I will choose Mt E. I go online see Mt A and TMC cost are almost the same. But I see more good comments for Mt A too. Thanks for giving me another plus point. :)

Hi elyn02! I'm likely to go mt alvernia even tho doc is at TMC haha. Did that for my #2 because I really like mah environment. Very peaceful!

does your gynae charge you extra for delivering at Mt A since he is from TMC?
My gynae delivers at TMC and Mt A too but he mentioned that extra fee will be chargeable if he delivers at other hospitals other than TMC. =x

My gynae delivers at TMC and Mt A too but he mentioned that extra fee will be chargeable if he delivers at other hospitals other than TMC. =x
That was not mentioned to me so dont think he will charge me extra if i go other hosp. As long as I choose 1 out of these 3 hosp will do.

That's good for you!
My appetite seems to have disappeared but I am still able to take in food. Just don't enjoy it. As such, I am looking to eat sour food (which means spicy food I suppose) but my husband doesn't want me to take spicy food. Is kimchi fine? I heard cabbages are very cooling, so I stopped taking kimchi when pregnant.

I asked my gynae about kimchi. She said try not to eat too much because of the preservatives. So i go ahead and eat it but i didn't know cabbage is supposed to be cooling =(

I asked my gynae about kimchi. She said try not to eat too much because of the preservatives. So i go ahead and eat it but i didn't know cabbage is supposed to be cooling =(
I just ate lots of kimchi pancake over the long weekend. Guess its not too cooling since we are in 2nd tri. But now that you mentioned preservatives, then prob shouldn't eat so often.

I was quoted 3.5k for March confinement. Any mommies have book or found their confinement lady? What's the range of the price?
Mine is 4.2k cos of cny. She told us 3.2k + 1k cny surcharge. So 3.5k seems on the high side unless she is a singaporean. And agencies seem cheaper, even for cny

I just ate lots of kimchi pancake over the long weekend. Guess its not too cooling since we are in 2nd tri. But now that you mentioned preservatives, then prob shouldn't eat so often.

I made kimchi myself. One huge pot. Before i was pregnant. No preservatives! But can still keep very long!

hi flairy! is this ur first baby or? may i know how r u intending to DIY ur confinement? E.g, with help from maid or family members?

i'm intending to do self confinement too but as its my first time, was hoping to learn from those who have done self confinement or intending to do self confinement .. :)

Hi xue...

My second baby. I hired cl for first one and I thought its a waste of money. 3k i rather pay for 5 mths maid.

I have a 3 yo toddler. And a maid. I will ask my mom or baby father or neighbours to help with showering baby.

Food wise i will either cater confinement food or my mom will order my help to cook?
I feel confinement food quite simple le... Just everything with ginger only. Hahaha.
I've also asked for my colleague if her mom will cook me some special dish on and off. I work in a childcare near home and my colleagues stays quite near.

Just be thick skin and ask everyone for help.
If rly no help then just order confinement food.

Baby wise... Bcos i breastfeed. My cl was rly useless bcos i wake to feed everytime. But bcos i paid 3k i wake her up to burp baby and change diaper hahaha which i can do myself.
The thing is do yrself dont see hp so much liao. Full concentration on resting n baby

That's good for you!
My appetite seems to have disappeared but I am still able to take in food. Just don't enjoy it. As such, I am looking to eat sour food (which means spicy food I suppose) but my husband doesn't want me to take spicy food. Is kimchi fine? I heard cabbages are very cooling, so I stopped taking kimchi when pregnant.

Lucky for u to still be able to eat without appetite. I can hardly eat. Idk what nutrients im getting everyday. Like 0. Worried. Prenatal also cannot eat. Makes me worse. Cabbage is cooling.. But bcos its sour it gives some appetite. I feel its ok bcos how much can u eat right? Dont have it everyday?
I marinated cucumber in salt n sugar once and it taste awesome. Can put vinegar too. My friend reccomended da gey with vinegar i haven tried. And gan lan cai for porridge. Salted veg. These may not b v good but hey if it helps u eat better why not...

I think it is specifically chinese cabbage that is cooling. My TCM said not to take kimchi cos it's cooling and spicy. I guess if you are fine after taking it, it's okay!

I was quoted around $3.75K and I had booked when I was in early 1st trimester! high prices cos I'm definitely hitting the CNY dates. If your dates do not overlap with CNY, I think the rate from agency is around 3k?

Lucky for u to still be able to eat without appetite. I can hardly eat. Idk what nutrients im getting everyday. Like 0. Worried. Prenatal also cannot eat. Makes me worse. Cabbage is cooling.. But bcos its sour it gives some appetite. I feel its ok bcos how much can u eat right? Dont have it everyday?
I marinated cucumber in salt n sugar once and it taste awesome. Can put vinegar too. My friend reccomended da gey with vinegar i haven tried. And gan lan cai for porridge. Salted veg. These may not b v good but hey if it helps u eat better why not...
Yeah, quite lucky the food goes down even though I have no appetite. Oddly, I feel better after eating. My gynae says everything I eat should have less oil, less salt, less sugar and my husband takes him very seriously. So all these marinated and preserved is out for me. Luckily I love soup and the soups we cook at home are yummy :) I secretly tried taking the 'banned' food during lunch but I felt so guilty afterwards, so I stopped. I guess whatever works for you but do watch the salt and sugar intake.

any mummies-to-be intending to DIY their confinement?
Hi xue, I'm getting my mum to do confinement for me since she's a really good cook and is aware on what to take note of for the child and I. I guess, you can ask more experienced family members on things to do and things to avoid on your confinement cause it will affect your health directly. When I get quotes from the confinement agencies (before I confirmed that my mum is available to do for me) they will usually append meal packages/ herbal bath packages/ post natal massage packages...maybe the infor will be helpful :) I also heard if you DIY, your family members esp husband support is very important since you won't get much sleep.

That was not mentioned to me so dont think he will charge me extra if i go other hosp. As long as I choose 1 out of these 3 hosp will do.

Hey elyn02, my gynae is also from TMC and delivers at MtA, MtE novena or TMC! :)
I asked the nurse before...if he delivers away from TMC, where his clinic is, there will be inpatient charges since he needs to go over to your hospital to visit you :( Your clinic is so nice!

Any mommies have constipation? I am constipated for three days and have see a Doc but still useless. Any remedy?

Not sure how good is confinement agency. I read the review mommies commented in fb all seems positive. As I do not have anyone to cook for me during this period and according to my sil, the confinement food caterer which she ordered was not good and also not cheap, I think no choice but have to spend this money for a cl. For those who have mom and helper I think they should be able to help.

Any mommies have constipation? I am constipated for three days and have see a Doc but still useless. Any remedy?

Not sure how good is confinement agency. I read the review mommies commented in fb all seems positive. As I do not have anyone to cook for me during this period and according to my sil, the confinement food caterer which she ordered was not good and also not cheap, I think no choice but have to spend this money for a cl. For those who have mom and helper I think they should be able to help.

Try red dragonfruit. Earlier when I was feeling a bit constipated, my TCM told me to take red dragonfruit.

The confinement agency I hired was what my sis in law used twice. There's hits and misses. So I suppose just need to manage expectations.

Me. It makes me grumpy. I take prune juice and lots of fruits, but it can still skip a day sometimes.

For my earlier mcs, I catered food from natal kitchen which is a new company. Find them good cos the food is more healthy and the contact person on email is prompt to respond to feedback or special requests. I plan to cater from them when nanny leaves at 28d since my mum prefers for me to do a 40d confinement.

Hey elyn02, my gynae is also from TMC and delivers at MtA, MtE novena or TMC! :)
I asked the nurse before...if he delivers away from TMC, where his clinic is, there will be inpatient charges since he needs to go over to your hospital to visit you :( Your clinic is so nice!

I usually see him at his another clinic at Jurong east. I also cant confirm if there is additional charges since some of u ladies mentioned abt it. I will confirm w the staff again in my next visit. hopefully there are no extra charges....

I drank soya milk almost everyday. This helps me in my bowel system. i trying to take fruit juices as well during lunch. maybe u can try taking more fruits n vege?

You can buy some passionfruit and mix with some honey. Put in the fridge. Sweet and sour, very refreshing n got vitamin c.

I had a bad bout. Took lactulose from the gynae, with lots of water. N must remember to take more fruits n veggies. Red dragonfruit is good but don't be alarmed if the remnants appear in the poo. They can look scary.

L
yes leh he charges more I think 15-20% more. Fair enough since he probably has more privileges at his 'home hospital' TMC. But I'm really turned off by my experience at TMC. Nurses were rude and frazzled. MAH more caring.

hello!
I also intending to DIY my confinement leh.. CNY period too expensive...
being a first time mum here too, like to learn sth from those who DIY confinement..
my MIL most likely be cooking the confinement meals for me, and maybe washing the baby clothes etc..
As for me, i probably need to settle my baby myself.. will also ask my mum to help too...
BF, burping, bathing, changing diapers.. still got wad huh?

Hello! For mommies who like to do their own confinement or have queries about confinement care, do consider joining us for our upcoming event, which our TCM physician will share useful tips and knowledge. Every mommy will receive attractive goodie bags and deals from our partners including a bowl of freshly brewed bird's nest. =)

Hope to see you guys!

https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/confinement-at-ease-tickets-37991192680

Anyone buying insurance for the bump? I am thinking of buying but so many choices.

How do I decide on the company? I am lost. Anyone can help with this?

Does ordering confinement food catering consider DIY? I will be staying with my parents, as I don't own a house yet (No space for the confinement lady to sleep). My mum and hub (hopefully) are going to help me.

I am a FTM. I am hoping this will works out fine.

For those asking abt whatsapp group, there is a group of abt 40 of us currently. PM me your hp number and name if you want to be added.
Hi veraine, i cant seem to pm you. Can u add me in the group chat?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello ladies, it's my first post and a first time mum-to-be nearing wk20, so please bear with me for all the ignorant qns i may ask.. lol... Anyone delivering at Mount E orchard :) ?

I do it for the first one. basically you must have a very supporting husband to help you to help baby shower, carry the baby when he/she cry. my mum suppose to help me in my confinement, but she didn't do anything except showering the baby. cos I breastfeed baby, no one can help me feed her. I just ordered confinement meal. so I think I quite lucky never employ one. if not waste money.

Does ordering confinement food catering consider DIY? I will be staying with my parents, as I don't own a house yet (No space for the confinement lady to sleep). My mum and hub (hopefully) are going to help me.

I am a FTM. I am hoping this will works out fine.

yup! i think its consider as DIY too since nv engage confinement nanny ...
Same as u, my mum and hub is going to help me :)

I do it for the first one. basically you must have a very supporting husband to help you to help baby shower, carry the baby when he/she cry. my mum suppose to help me in my confinement, but she didn't do anything except showering the baby. cos I breastfeed baby, no one can help me feed her. I just ordered confinement meal. so I think I quite lucky never employ one. if not waste money.

thanks for sharing! did u touch water during ur confinement?

thanks for sharing! did u touch water during ur confinement?
of cos got. haha. hard to avoid i guess. maybe first few days at home I got follow a bit. still will use water for washing hand after toilet. but shower wise i use those herbal boiled water to shower. but after a while I heck care just shower as per normal. haha. I don't really follow all the confinement rules.

Thinking of employing a confinement nAnny, but their pricing is just scary. My mother don't really cook n her health is not good too can get stress easily. so I don't think she can help in my confinement. My MIL can cook veri well but she jus dont like to do cleaning. Cannot be expecting me to do house chores during confinement ma then baby also need shower and my husband also need to wrk. To me my MIL is a stranger to me she don talk much to me n I don entertain her. How am I going to ask her help me do things since we r not close at all i jus don feel comfortable talking to her. Anyone can tell me what is the worse part for confinement. I really afraid I can't manage.

Last edited:
Hi mummies, anyone have their 20w detailed scan yet? What should we be expecting? Thanks.

I did my detailed scan this afternoon. Basically they will do an ultrasound for you. Using the ultrasound, they will measure the fetus's head circumference, the hands length, the legs length etc. The whole ultrasound took 30 minutes. That's the whole process for me.

Thinking of employing a confinement nAnny, but their pricing is just scary. My mother don't really cook n her health is not good too can get stress easily. so I don't think she can help in my confinement. My MIL can cook veri well but she jus dont like to do cleaning. Cannot be expecting me to do house chores during confinement ma then baby also need shower and my husband also need to wrk. To me my MIL is a stranger to me she don talk much to me n I don entertain her. How am I going to ask her help me do things since we r not close at all i jus don feel comfortable talking to her. Anyone can tell me what is the worse part for confinement. I really afraid I can't manage.

This is my 1st time hiring a CL also. I will think you will be able to get some rest during the 1st mth. at least someone cooks n take care of bb for u. as for the house cleaning, maybe ur hubby can do it?

hey mummies, what kind of bed do u all prep for the CL to zzz on? I have those foldable mattress at home... i think abt 3 inches... is that ok?

hey mummies, what kind of bed do u all prep for the CL to zzz on? I have those foldable mattress at home... i think abt 3 inches... is that ok?
The agency said foldable mattress is good enough for CL. We are intending to get a bed from Muji though...

Yes, their pricing is really very high! I have asked Confinement Angel agency for their pricing for Feb EDD, and becos my EDD is 4 days before CNY, confirmed will tio CNY period. Their price is $2950 for 28 days & there is an additional surcharge of $1200 if its between 11-24 Feb (as long as got 1 day inside this period, $1200 extra O_O). Not including surcharges if you request for better/experienced/eng-speaking nanny. So far, have not asked any freelance CL for pricing cos i'm afraid of last minutes screwup esp after tons of negative reviews on the forum here. dun think i can take the stress when near delivery or even after delivery with so much stuff and baby on hand.

And so I probably be doing confinement myself without CL. You can call me practical but i rather spend the $3-4k on baby essentials, maybe a better breastpump, UV steriliser instead of steam etc. But there are also other worries on mind, like confinement food and rules. 2 options for food. either tingkat (also not cheap; thomson confinement food for 28days lunch & dinner already $1.9k) or ask someone to cook for u. for rules, I wont be following so strictly, but maybe basic ones like buying herbal to boil for bathing and buying ginger shampoo (saw somewhere in this forum but haven't go source for it yet), or else my MIL or mum will start nagging -.-

Kelly, have you ask your MIL about this issue - confinement food? Try asking, your baby is going to be her grandchild! But also must understand while she may be a good cook, she might be clueless about confinement food too. Like my mum, she can cook, but confinement food she did admit she dunno. Luckily my MIL is still okie, she said guar-guar know, but seriously i have no complain right now, its a big sum i going to save here. Have a talk with her to understand better. I think as long as you settle the confinement food, at least you can concentrate on the baby. And yes, agreed with the mummies here, your husband will be your best support!

So far the "worse" part i heard from friends and family is no time cos baby need full attention. If intending to BF, latch and pump will take time, plus need to burp baby. Somemore for FTMs, baby cries and sensors might be overwhelming. Mummies will get worry such as why baby is always crying, drinking enough milk. but i think its part and parcel that we need to face. Changing nappy and bathing baby also another chore. Cleaning bottles and washing baby clothes too. One thing worth mentioning would be baby like skin-ship for better bonding, so BF and bathing are all good ways to bond! Unless you are very strict on confinement rules like cannot touch water etc, maybe you can let your husband bond while bathing the baby instead.

I'm also a FTM and I also tend to worry alot haha (is it due to pregnancy?). What i doing now is reading up, and stocking up necessary stuff at home, so at least i can be prepared for my baby delivery since no CL (but at least MIL cook and hubby will help and support). Try to look at the bright side, it will be worth it when your baby arrive!

Last edited:
Yes, their pricing is really very high! I have asked Confinement Angel agency for their pricing for Feb EDD, and becos my EDD is 4 days before CNY, confirmed will tio CNY period. Their price is $2950 for 28 days & there is an additional surcharge of $1200 if its between 11-24 Feb (as long as got 1 day inside this period, $1200 extra O_O). Not including surcharges if you request for better/experienced/eng-speaking nanny. So far, have not asked any freelance CL for pricing cos i'm afraid of last minutes screwup esp after tons of negative reviews on the forum here. dun think i can take the stress when near delivery or even after delivery with so much stuff and baby on hand.

And so I probably be doing confinement myself without CL. You can call me practical but i rather spend the $3-4k on baby essentials, maybe a better breastpump, UV steriliser instead of steam etc. But there are also other worries on mind, like confinement food and rules. 2 options for food. either tingkat (also not cheap; thomson confinement food for 28days lunch & dinner already $1.9k) or ask someone to cook for u. for rules, I wont be following so strictly, but maybe basic ones like buying herbal to boil for bathing and buying ginger shampoo (saw somewhere in this forum but haven't go source for it yet), or else my MIL or mum will start nagging -.-

Kelly, have you ask your MIL about this issue - confinement food? Try asking, your baby is going to be her grandchild! But also must understand while she may be a good cook, she might be clueless about confinement food too. Like my mum, she can cook, but confinement food she did admit she dunno. Luckily my MIL is still okie, she said guar-guar know, but seriously i have no complain right now, its a big sum i going to save here. Have a talk with her to understand better. I think as long as you settle the confinement food, at least you can concentrate on the baby. And yes, agreed with the mummies here, your husband will be your best support!

So far the "worse" part i heard from friends and family is no time cos baby need full attention. If intending to BF, latch and pump will take time, plus need to burp baby. Somemore for FTMs, baby cries and sensors might be overwhelming. Mummies will get worry such as why baby is always crying, drinking milk. but i think its part and parcel that we need to face. Changing nappy and bathing baby also another chore. Cleaning bottles and washing baby clothes too. One thing worth mentioning would be baby like skin-ship for better bonding, so BF and bathing are all good ways to bond! Unless you are very strict on confinement rules like cannot touch water etc, maybe you can let your husband bond while bathing the baby instead.

I'm also a FTM and I also tend to worry alot haha (is it due to pregnancy?). What i doing now is reading up, and stocking up necessary stuff at home, so at least i can be prepared for my baby delivery since no CL (but at least MIL cook and hubby will help and support). Try to look at the bright side, it will be worth it when your baby arrive!

Haven ask my MIL yet. Might wait till end Oct when the baby gender is confirm, than will ask my husband to check with her. But heard frm my husband tat his mum have help prepare confinement food before for his brother frenz. So I don't really worry abt food. I will be buying those Confinement herbal soup package, even the food is not nutrition enough I still have those herbal soup to help me from recover. But thinking of waking up on the middle of the nite to feed baby milk n changing nappy just let me feel that I really need a CL. Maybe first time mum and there is too many worry in my mind, what if this happen what if that happen. Don't feel like spending so much money in confinement as well.

Anyone buying insurance for the bump? I am thinking of buying but so many choices.

How do I decide on the company? I am lost. Anyone can help with this?

Yup, I am buying maternity insurance, now waiting for underwriting result. I chose the GE flexi maternity insurance.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. So far when i was researching, there are 2 types of maternity insurance plans -
1) those stand alone insurance plans covering some conditions/complications, hosp & death benefits for both mum and baby (i think only GE and NTUC offer this);
2) and the other one is insurance plan which come with an investment linked plan (so called "savings" but pls read up on the guaranteed and non-guaranteed returns on this).

I wasn't comfortable with the idea of investment linked policy. For these plans, you need to pay a one-time off premium to start the insurance plan. and also a monthly premium for the insurance/investment linked plan, usually minimal $100/mth -> which means $1.2k a year. for this monthly premium, you would need to pay until you wish to terminate the policy or when your baby is 21y.o. and legally pass the right to him/her and he/she continue paying until wan to stop the policy. Yes, agents may say its good to do some savings for baby now, but pls look up on how much is saved (guaranteed and non-guaranteed returns).

Another aspect i consider while getting insurance is the guaranteed insurability benefit (GIB), which roughly translated to guaranteed to be insured without any medical underwriting. Most maternity insurance starts with the mother coverage (pregnancy complication etc) den pass on to cover the baby after born to up to 3 years. So what happen after 3 years? u probably still need to buy a hosp + accident plan & life insurance when baby is born. but it's the uncertainty of whether anything would happen during the first few days after baby is born. If there is no GIB, the life insurance you buy after baby is born will be subject to underwriting (which means existing conditions will not be covered) and this is not what I want.

Most maternity plan with the investment link policy has the GIB component, which is good. but for standalone maternity insurance, NTUC didnt have it while GE hav GIB (even though NTUC premium much cheaper and more coverage for pregnancy compilation and baby illnesses).

At the end its your call. To me, I'm more concerned about insured coverage on my baby after he is born, and its really hard to predict what would happen, so I took the GE with GIB. Anyway pls consult your insurance agents to hear more about the plans before deciding cos i may not be accurately correct with the info above (disclaimer first haha).

Last edited:

Back