very little breast milk

My bb is currently 2 mths old...
i found that my defrost breast milk got kind of "fishy" smell...but doesnt taste bad...
is it common?

Beanie, you have to take 2 cap 3 times a day. When expressing really have to relax and think of your baby. Letdown will then come.

beanie, how is your latching and expressing schedule. What I read in the bf book it says to have increase of supply you have to increase the latching and expressing and fluid intake. For example, at 9am you have let baby latch on. After that drink at least 6-8 cups of water, 20 mins later express or latch on again. Continuously do this you will see the increase.

Hi mommies,

does anyone here see an increase in supply after 2/3 mths? My bb now 2+ mths le...my supply thou increased abit, but still very low...now oni managed to feed her twice of bm per day...the rest of the feedings all fm...i wonder if my supply will increase further, or it will remain as it is.

hi Janis, frozen milk when thawed smells fishy.
I heard that the longer it has been kept frozen, the stronger the smell.

Frarmaine, how often to do you pump/breastfeed? If you want to increase supply.. you got to try to pump/bf every 3 hours..

Hi Jess,

so u mean there is still possiblity tat my supply will increase even after 2/3 mths? Actually during my confinement, i did try to pump every 3 hrs...but sometimes wif my elder son ard, very hard to keep to the routine...now i oni pump 4 times a day coz start work le...after reading thru u mummies advises here, i am now trying to latch my bb whenever possible, in the hope to increase my supply...

Frarmaine,

I am working now too.. I try to latch bb in the nite when we are all sleeping ... n in the day time i will pump. I reach office super early, at ard 7am n start pumping. During lunch i pump again. When I reach home, I will either pump or direct latch. My supply for each pump is around 180- 250ml. I notice my milk supply will decrease when i don't pump/latch regularly. Due to health condition, I can't take fenugreek (tho I bot 1 bottle to stand by). I tried drinking longan n red dates water n surprising it increase my supply. Mayb u can try tat again?

HI all..
I'm all new here..
I've 7days more to go for my EDD.I ve heard from frens dat Fenugreek work wonders to increased de milk supplies,however my concerned is...can i start now or should i wait till after delivery?Or should i wait till i've low milk supplies?I'm not a "fish" fan all dis while and conssuming fish during confinement can be abit of challenged to me!Any suggestions or is there any other remedies that can help to increase milk supply?I'll be a full time mum-to-be and will willing to try anything so long is safe n comfortable...:eek:)

hi princess diamond,
u can actually boil green papaya with pork/chicken instead of fish. Like u, I am not a fish fan n i avoid eating/drinking anything relating to FISH haha.
i notice a few "NO NO" during tis confinement.
1. no mint
2. no stress
3. no liver(as wat my MIL say lor)
A few "must do" things tat i oso notice.
1. Must have enuf rest
2. Must have enuf water
3. Must keep latching / pumping. (during my confinement ... i can pump up till 1.5hrs using a single pump)
4. Must drink longan and red dates water (this only found out when I came back to work .. but i took qing tng instead haah)
er...tat's all i can rem for time being lor.
wishing u a smooth delivery
happy.gif

just like to know for those takin fenugreek, wats d dosage and take how long to see the effect? anybody can help?

Last nite, my fridge is spoilt. I have to throw away 7 bottles of EBM. So sad. Now I can't express the milk cos I have no place to store my milk until the fridge is here in the late afternoon.

Fenugreeks 2 cap 3 times a day.

Maureen, sorry to hear dat. thanks for the info.
how much can u get whenever u express? wish i got s much s urs, my 1 day express milk is only sufficient for 2 feeds only, very pathetic..

Hi hi,

Another food item to try to increase your milk supply would be the jin zen ku (mushroom). It really helps for me...from 100ml to 300 ml per pump..intervals of 6 hours!

these message meant to be sent a few weeks back to jennifur, sheryl and susan but was so caught up with work and bb. anyway, hope the below mummies still come in to read this :p

jennifur,
I think the pumping time will only be shorter once your supply comes in. My breast was only "efficient" when my girl hit 3 months. My pumping was more than 1 hour intially.. Gradually, it went down to 45 mins to get the same amount. Now, it's as fast as 15 mins to achieve that amount and half hour to empty both breast. My collegues told me i should not pump longer than an hour but if i don't, i can't get the amount I needed.. So, i never follow their advice and just keep pumping away..hehe...

sheryl,
If you're persistent enough, yes, it's a good way to increase your supply. I never really try that method out simply because I'm not discipline enough and also scared my girl will cry when she didn't drink enough for me. so, what i do i'll latch her when my breast is full and when i'm not, i'll give FM. The important thing is the intervals of pumping and latching must be quite consistent. If your girl is sleeping and you feel like expressing it out, just express it out. If your girl wakes up 15 mins later and you got no milk, give her FM. Then the next feed, you can latch her again when your breast accumulates enough milk. Slowly let your body adjust but each time when you express or latch, you MUST make sure your breast is totally empty. I only manage to total breastfeed my girl when she's 3 months old. I went back to work when she's 2 months old. I pump 2 times in the office then and each time took me close to 1 hour to achieve 125ml (total from both breast). Gradually, my milk supply increases. Now, she's coming to 5 mths and i'm still breastfeeding her. I can express 180ml in half hour and sometimes 200ml even. By then my breasts are totally soft and empty!

For the night feed, since you don't have enough supply, feed her FM and then find a slot to express your milk. FM can keep her full longer. I did this for the first 3 months too.

Susan,
Last time i use to believe that since i'm a A cup. How many milk ducts can they contains right? But it's not true. As time goes by, my boobs also grow bigger when my supply increases!! So, they will grow to accomodate the milk supply! Sometimes i feel a bit uncomfortable with my new size..

janis,
yes, it's nothing wrong with your milk.

luca,
pumping milk at 3am in the morning is not a way to increase mil. increasing in milk supply is a result of pumping at regular hours. if you sleep through the night and you miss that feed, you're telling your body that you don't need so much milk and hence, you have 1 feed lesser. so, your body will start to adjust the milk production. for mummies that take effort to wake up in the middle of the night to express milk, they're giving their body a signal to produce milk at the exact interval, never miss any timing. so overall, the milk production will increase...

tks ariajo, so i guess i muz wrk extra effort to express. my last express time is usually ard 10+, den nxt will b 4-5 am, at wrk ard 11-12, n 5+pm. kinda long u muz hv tot. i've been doin dis since i started wrk 2 weeks ago, till nw its usually the same amt. i've tried drinkin lotsa water, milk, fish n fenugreek, but doesnt seem 2 help. probably my milk supply can only b dat little, very demoralising n sad, really feel like givin up.

hi ariajo

u mentioned that u pump for 1 hour to achieve 125ml. but is it possible? i mean the longer u pump, the more u get? like me, i only able to get 60ml for half hour pump. so if i pump 1 hour, will i get more?

luca,
you might want to add a new slot at 2+am and shift the 4-5am to 5 to 6am? got to sacrifice a bit of sleep lah.. some of us posted our schedule in the previous thread
schedule

haystack,
no lah..just that for me, i usually pump 1 hour cos "buay gam wan".see so little milk. then one day suddenly i had a let down and manage to collect 125ml. So, i know my breast really have that amount of milk and from then onwards i will try to keep to that amount and will not stop pumping until i get that.

you try to pump 1 hour and see how much you can get. dun be suprised at 45 mins, you get a sudden let down and it contributes another 10 or 20ml
happy.gif
it happens to me..

maureen,
you really have a lot of milk
happy.gif
good for you!

seriously ah... last time i can get ard 100ml. but now only 60ml. just keep dropping. but i oso "buay gam wan".

i dun understand one thing. whenever i pump for the day, the max i can have is only 2 bottles. but when i'm with my gal (eg weekend), i do not need to supplement with FM. my gal seems ok with her consumption. y is it so?

maureen,
oh, i tot you have 700 and 800 of EBM to throw everyday and i was like wow..haha...then when i scroll up, you're actually talking abt your milk in your fridge lor..

haystack,
my gf told me that her gf also has problem expressing out the milk but no problem latching. it's more like a mentality problem because pump is not the same as baby's mouth..what pump are you using? I find that i get better let down with avent manual pump. Also, is your breast very soft after you pump out the 60ml of milk? I mean really really soft..

Hi Mummies,

I just delivered and my week old baby has problems nursing from me, I think I have either got a low supply of BM or short nipples to provide him. Thus, he doesn't want to latch on to me for long. I also can't even seem to get the milk out from my manual pump either; I only ended up with bleeding nipples.

What do I do ? Can I seek TMC for help because I heard that they help to clear blocked milk ducts - is that true ?

haystack,
i see, that means there is milk still in your breast. could be block duct. if you ever reach to a point your breast is really really soft, you'll be able to tell if you have emptied your breast or not. there was one time when i pump for more than an hour and i suddenly had a let down (which is the last one i think) and my breast became of soft that it felt like 2 skin meeting one another.err.. wondering whether you can imagine what i'm trying to say..

sonia,
did you delivered in TMC? If you are, i believe you can just make an appt with the LC there to help you. I think it's chargeble though. I delivered in raffles hospital and i went back to see the LC when my baby is 5 weeks old to get help. I had the worse inverted nipple (now one of them still inverted) and i managed to breastfeed my girl until now. she's 5 months old today
happy.gif
LC will help to massage your breast but you must be prepared. It's extremely painful but it's worth it. My ask for LC the 2nd day after i delivered and LC came and massage/squeeze my breast to extract the colustrum. It was so painful until i teared. But i believe that session has somehow open up the ducts and when day 5 came, i managed to squeeze out 60-70ml of BM after 1 hour of pumpping using dual pump.

Hi,

1.Anyone knows where i can get Mother's milk tea to improve breastsupply??
2.Why is it that one os my breast seem to have more milk than the other. Is that normal??
Thanks.

Where can I get Fenugreek? My friend gave me some (seeds form) but didn't tell me where she got it. Can't contact her these days.

Mandy, you can get from mom in mind. It is normal to have one side more milk supply. Just nurse more on the side where supply is low.

Alicia, you can go GNC, Natural farm, or guardian. Seeds form should be market.

Hi all,

Any experience with the various supplement to help increase BM? I'm not sure what else I can do to increase my supply!! My bb is 2 weeks plus now, she is already drinking way beyond what I can supply her with BM and I need to top up her feed with about 80-90ml of FM after every latch on. She drinks this amount every 2.5-3.5 hours.

I have tried all the various "traditional" method of increasing supply.. Drink the stupid papaya fish soup, eat fish, drink fish tonic (I HATE FISH BTW), drink peanut pig trotter soup, drink BF mummy milk (I HATE MILK ALSO ARGH), drink up to 4 litres of fluid a day, even wake up in mid of night to drink . I let her latch every time she is hungry and use pump to empty my breast after, but I can only get out a miserable 5-10ml from both side combined even with hand massage. I can only give her 1 time of EBM per 24 hours as I simply can't pump enough. Sigh. Any one can recommend whats the best supplements to increase??

Haystack

How old is yr baby now? Mine is 10 mths and my supply is rather low already too. When baby was 4-5 mths, I can easily express about 180 ml every 3-4 hrly but now, I'll get about 60 ml if i express every 4-5 hrly.

I can go about 10 hrs without expressing, then I'll get about 180 ml like that.

I TBF him till about 9 mths but recently, been giving him some Enfapro A+ formula. But whenever I have EBM, I'll mix with the formula.

I guess Im not too detailed on ensuring he's TBF now, coz he eats solids already & I hope whatever BM he's getting would help to boost his immunity too

BlueBerries
Thanks for sharing, now I don't feel so disappointed over my low supply. Guess it's a natural phenomenon that milk supply dips when baby's on solids. Imagine boobs heavy with milk when baby doesn't need them already!~ :p

hi nagia

my gal just turned 1 year old. actually yours not too bad. when ur baby 4-5 mths, i cannot get what u achieve. now i only express ard 60ml every 3 hrly. still giving her total BM. cos i still have the balance in fridge.

Thanks Aria and Maureen for your advice. I am still not giving up yet...even if it's sore nipples...I pray that I will be able to provide him his needs. It's just that I feel inferior as a mother of not being able to supplement his needs.

I am also intaking fenugreek seeds.

I also wanna ask u and the other mummies - Would Milk plus capsules from GNC help to increase the milk flow ? Would it cause any side effects ?

Sonia, as long as you don't give up you are on the way to succeed. When I bf my 2nd child each time I only get 100ml. Now for this 3rd child I get slightly more. Now I am back to work. I also feeling so sian of expressing too. No choice just to give the good things to my baby so I continued. Whenever I am with him, I will latch on.

Ming, starting stage expressing the supply are low. For my first few weeks till 4 - 5 weeks, I can only get 80ml. So I almost gave up expressing. I only express once in the morning when I wake up, the rest of the time is just latch on and latch on. Now my baby is 10 weeks old. I start taking fenugreeks 3 times a day since 5th week until now. My supply is not that much but I still can get 5oz. Drink more water supply will increase. Yes I also wake up middle of the nite to drink water too. Don't give too much stress on yourself. Relax while express.

hi ming,
i know how u feel.. till now bb still cant tbf.. n hes gonna be 4mths on wed.. just imagine tt.. i read somewhere in the papers tt some women got tis 'syndrome' of low milk ss (cant remember wat it called though).. i wonder if im in tt catergory.. *sigh*.. anyway, ur bb still very young compared to mine.. u still got hope.. so dun give up yah.. must perservere on..

hi mom to be
u r not alone. im also 1 of the low milk ones. my bb gona b 3 mths dis wed, so i suppose our bb juz a mth difference in age. nw im trying to pump 5 times daily, but sometimes gt trouble finding a place 2 pump at wrk, seems like alot of obstacles. sigh..had tried to latch on again after stopped since 2nd wk after givin birth, hopin dat my supply will increase..
Going to perservere after all this will b the last time i breastfeed as i close shop oredy.

hi luca,
the feeling sucks rite? its so disheartening for me ley to see all the mummies here having success stories to share.. kinda jealous of tehm in fact.. of course im very motivated/encouraged to persevere hearing their stories.. oso read abt this woman who actualli stopped bf then continued again aft bb is like 3 mths old n succeeded.. but im getting tired actualli. sigh
sad.gif

Me recently have just go back to work. During office time when expressing, I found that very difficult to get letdown. Sometimes need to take about 45 mins just to get 3 letdown. Feeling so sian when going back to work.

mom_to_be
yes, same here. but wat else can we do but to push on, after all its for the gd of our bb. So lets strive on, ok?
happy.gif

Hi ming,

U r in the early stage of breastfeeding, so u may hv more options than some of the mummies here in increasing your supply.
For a start, your bb may be going thru a growth spurt now, so may need more milk, which means that u will hv to "work" much harder to match bb's demand.
If I were u, this is wat I will do...
1) Eat oats with milo every morning for breakfast.
2) Drink your red dates w longan drink n drink enuff of it.
3) Eat well, esp load up on proteins e.g. fish, pork, etc.
4) Hold back supplementing w FM.
5) Every time bb cries, put him to your breasts to stimulate more milk. Never mind if it is not milk time yet. Actually, I feel that your milk interval is too wide for a bb this young. For me, the average is abt 2hrs, sometimes it's even lesser.
6) Relax n watch TV or read when u r breastfeeding....dun need to look at the clock. Keep bb on one side of the breasts to empty it n if bb still fuss, give him the other side. You need to do this 'cos the hindmilk will keep bb fuller
happy.gif

maureen,
it's like that. initially i pump 1 hour to get the amount i wanted too. my gf suggested looking at my baby photos videos while pumping. it's suppose to stimulate let down faster. anyway, after a while, you breast will be efficient lah. just don't give up, ok?

naqia,
i'm going to start solid on my girl next month when she turns 6 mths old. i guess i'll be expecting dropping in supply then..your supply drops because you pump lesser?

just want to share that suggestion given by Morningstar to take seaweed soup + another suggestion to drink alot of water (i m trying 3-4litres everyone) works for me! Managed to increase 40ml for the whole day. Thanks for sharing!

Aria jo, yes it is slowly getting better liao. Maybe me just return back to work need some time to adjust. I did see the pic but not really use.

Jennifer, yes drinking alot of water really helps. Eat more jing zhen gu also.

hi all,

how to tell if there milk has been emptied out fully?

I had tried to express out for 30mins, but each time when i try to squeeze my breast, there are still some flow.. But when i use the pumps again, nothing comes out..
will squeezing damage the milk darts?

happylittledots, milk won't stop. just that pump are not that good suction like baby.

mom to be, mushrooms long long one.

Back