very little breast milk

Aiyoh... 900ml is for whole day...

If you wanna increase supply, definitely need to pump at work. I pump abt 6 time a day, 3 of which are in office and I get abt 450ml in total from the 3 pumping sessions.

But must be persistent lah...

Yah I know, but that time was having flu, was afraid I passed the germs to her through contact. Anyway too late now. She absolutely refuse to latch when I try, and I tried multiple times. No choice, so I pump loh.

hi mom to be (in_distress),

don't be upset. last time i oso have the same situation as u. only able to pump ard 40-50ml when my gal was 3 mths old. unable to TBF till she is ard 5+mths. For me, my ss increase when i went back to work. manage to pump out ard 90-100ml each time. but now drop back to 60-70ml. my gal is now 11 mths. so dun despair. just do whatever u can. it's always better than nothing.

Yah I agree with Haystack- must be persistent and keep trying. In the beginning I even pump until I bleed before, but now I am very careful to apply nipple cream.

When my period came or when I fell sick, my supply also dropped, but I worked hard to rebuild it- I go back to pump every 3 hrs which is very siong, but managed to get supply up.

So it can be done lah...
happy.gif

hi jing, can i know how much will drop when the period come back? recently my ss drop... trying very hard to rebuild. now taking the goat's rue... no use leh...

Usually I can pump 900ml per day. When my period first came back, dropped to 5-600ml+. But I didn't notice any drop when my period came back the 2nd time. Hope that helps.

Yeah, agree with Jing, definitely need to wake up in the middle of the night to pump to maintain the ss. Just to share my schedule:
2.45am (most important time)
7.45am
12.15pm (at work)
4.45pm (at work)
9.45pm (last pump be4 I sleep)
happy.gif

2.45am (180ml)
7.45am (190ml)
12.15pm (150ml)
4.45pm (160ml)
9.45pm (180ml)
used to be able to pump 900ml/day. not anymore, after I felt sick/ had mens in early Feb.

Hi ladies,

My bb is due in June and I'm hoping to breastfeed him for at least 6 months. However, I'm also very keen to try for #2 as soon as possible.

I udnerstand when I breastfeed exclusively, I may not be ovulating. Exclusive breastfeeding means feeding every single feed for the bb and feeding at least every 4 hrs (?).

My plan is to express as much milk as possible within the first month, then reduce the number of pumpings for the next few months - to reduce the number of times I express so that I ovulate again, and yet maintain sufficient numbe rof pumping sessions so that I have a decent milk supply for #1 which is sufficient for 6 months.

Do you think this plan is workable? I'm very keen to have #2 as soon as possible, but still want to provide #1 with breastmilk for as long as possible, up to 6 months.

Please let me have your suggestions if you know of any plan which may work?

Thanks in advance!

My gal is 9mth+. So, pump & freeze as much as I can, then slowly cut down when she is abt 11mth old.. getting tired!

Cactus, for me I got pregnant when bf my 2nd child. Depends on individual body. Some may not have menses but ovulating and got pregnant. Normally the milk supply will take about 8-15weeks to stable. I got friends also got pregnant while bf.

Hi maureen,

can I find out how frequently you were bfing your #2 when you got pregnant again?
how much supply did you have at that time? per pump or per day (total amount)?

I have been expressing 3 times a day in office. Before I go work, I will either latch on or pump out.

My schedule is like this
7am
10.30am
1pm
3.30pm
6.30pm
Latch on till next morning. He still wake up middle of the nite.

Each time I will get about 100-130ml.

My friend sometimes do surf here. You can search for Karen can't remember her full nick.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually planning to conceive by Dec this year. The EDD of my bb is 22 June 08. do you think there's any chance if I still plan to breast feed? any suggestions how to increase my chance of conceiving #2?

Actually you don't need to worry too much. After delivery, within 2 yrs it is very easy to get pregnant again. Just bf your baby first. Give your baby all the good stuffs first.

hi maureen, hb and I are very keen to avoid a baby in the year of the tiger. If I don't conceive by Dec this year, we'll have to wait 2 years.

hi haystack,
u mean when ur bb was 3mths old, u oni manage 40-50ml per pump or per day? for me, wana get 40ml per pum oso very hard.. must pump for 1hr+ then oni can get tt much..
sad.gif
so, how u actualli succeed to tbf when ur bb is 5mths? pump n pump? my working hrs quite funny la coz im doing shift work..

hi mom to be,

i mean each time only manage to pump out ard 40-50ml. i take ard 30 mins to pump out. at that time my gal refused to latch on. so have to express. when i started work, one of colleagues told me that i should try to latch and i tot so too cos it would be very tiring for me to wake up in the middle of the night to pump. so i tried to latch her again. surprisingly, she willingly suckle. maybe that's y it starts slowly to increase. but now.... haha... falling. so sad rite?

hi haystack,
oh ok.. mine is oni 40ml max per day.. sigh..

hi maureen,
bb not oni cry ley, he'd push his face away fr the breast wen tried to latch him on..
sad.gif
will try to let him latch again..

mom to be (in_distress),
try not to latch BB on when he's really hungry & crying,
latch him on when he's "in a good mood" for a snack.
happy.gif

Try it when he just woke up & still dreamy dreamy...
happy.gif

mums,
try drinking lactating tea, either traditional medicinal organic mother's tea or yogi tea for nursing mom. It helped me to stabilise my milk when I went back to work. Cos the moment I start work my milk drop by half very discouraging.

Its quite pleasant to drink and the more water u drink the more milk u will have
happy.gif

hi mommies,

pls share your experience here. i've been TBF baby with morning express (6-hr with 300ml) and night latching. as need to go back to work, i'm on total express plus work stress, every pump (4-hr) was only 80ml. tremendous drop! any mommies have the same experience as me? and managed to increase the milk? i'm still pumping, but have to supplement as every 3-hr baby drinks 100ml. baby now 3.5 mths. tried fenugreek, but allery to it, causes rashes :-( thank you.

hi haystack,
40ml max is solely pumping coz bb dun wana latch on at all. therefore no chance to let him suckle.. im taking more milk plus but finish oredi, have yet to go n buy.. at the moment taking metoclopramide but finish oso.. im oso drinking fenugreek seeds water..

actually i was thinking that taking so much supplements not too good. actually i was like u, taking different supplements for abt continuous of 3 mths... then suddenly dawn to me that i should not take anymore. so i stop totally. and surprisingly, it did not drop but instead went up a bit. haha... i dunno whether it's becos i stop or whatsoever. anyway now i started to take again cos recently really drop very badly plus my office renovating. worried that the ss will drop even further. now have taken for abt 1 week already. still the same. haha...

thanks for sharing, Mother of 3 Princesses. I guess hb and I will just take things as they come then... we really really want to avoid a tiger child yet not have #2 too late.. torn!

dear all, my daughter is cming to 5 weeks n she is drinking 3.50z every 2.5 hrs. is tat alot? however, i cant seem to pump enough for her demand. i pump most of the time as i can keep track of hw much she drinks. but i heard tat latching will increase supply. is it true?

Actually just feed direct so much easier. Supply will increase gradually when she suck more /longer. Your breast will adjust to her needs. Also sometimes there are growth spurts when they are sucking all the time. Both my babies are direct fed.

Dawn, yes latching is better. I only pump in the morning and all the way latch on throughout. Indeed I see increase in supply. I am also taking fenugreek 3 times day.

hi haystack,
at first, had my doubts oso.. but since someone fr here recommended taking more milk plus, i did.. n i actualli saw increase in ss. tried latching bb on just now but to no avail.. called lc fr kkh but they nvr call back.. is it too late to go to lc now? i actualli went once b4 oredi..

hi mom to be

I was like u too. i went to see LC twice. once when my baby ard 2 weeks old and the other time ard 8 weeks old. the last time when i went, my gal refused to latch. nothing that they can do. after that, they just ask me to go home and try. i think it's quite hard to train the baby to latch after so long. i think maybe u should just relax and see what happens. worse come to worse is to express. just tell urself not to be too stress... it's always better to have something than to have nothing to give her. that's what i always tell myself. just take it tat the 40ml EBM is tonic. haha...

btw, when u take the more milk plus, how much increase did u see?

hi haystack,
maybe wat u say is right.. its hard to get bb to latch on aft so long.. no choice but express oni.. tt time whilst taking more milk plus, my ss increased by at least 50ml...

kim,
i'm the opposite. i only manage to TBF my girl when i go back to work..i was supplementing 1 feed from 2 months onwards 3rd month until i manage to TBF. Before that i was supplementing 3 feeds because I could not latch my girl until she's 5 weeks old.

when i'm at the office, i notice that if i drink less water, my milk will decrease. so, every time before i pump i make sure i drink at least 1500ml of water (equavalent to 3 bottles of mineral water). Also, i make sure that i totally empty my breast each time. In the beginning i had to pump at least 45 mins to get 125ml (total from both breast). Many collegues told me i should not pump so long but i just continue to do so. Slowly somehow my breast become efficient and now i take 1/2 to pump out at least 150ml or more depending on the intervals.

My schedule is :

3 to 4am - pump out 70% of my milk. i will ensure i leave some in my breast because my girl will wake up around 5 for a snack.
4-5am - latching if she wakes up for snack. Make sure she empties the breast. Keep squeezing your breast and your baby usually automatically suckle. If she still sleep, you can let your milk accumulate for the next feed or express session
8am - latching (full feed - empty both breast or at least empty the one that produces more milk)
11.30am - express
4.30am - express
8.30 - express or latch if i'm with her. if breast still not empty, pump out the milk until my breast really soft
11 to 12am - latch baby in her sleep. if she refuse, pump out.

So, pls take note to:
1) Drink more water
2) Totally empty your breast (you know that you've emtpy your breast, when your breast is so soft that it feels like it's sagging)
3) Stick to the intervals or at least close to the intervals you set.

By the way, i'm using avent manual pump. I feel that it's very very good at empting my breast, better than the dual i use previously.

Back