very little breast milk

hi sleek, thanks for the info. btw, my mother in law say some ppl really have very little milk by nature, is this true?

Pauline, I would say not true. I pumped with medela PIS for 45 minutes every 2 hours during the first 6 weeks. My output was so miserable! Less than 80ml per pump. not enough for my son who was drinking 100ml every 3 hours!! But i persisted and now, my son is 5 months old. I have 275 bags of milk in freezer ( I gave away 75 bags to another mother) and I'm still pumping 1.7l every 24 hours. I now express only 3 times per 24 hours. I beliee every mother is capable of producing milk, but some mothers take shorter time to produce milk to meet their bb's needs. Others, like me, take a longer time to get there. but importatnly is, we get that at the end of the day. Keep trying k!

Pauline, I always muse that if starving women in Africa can produce enough milk for their babies, then I don't see why well-fed women in developed 1st world countries have problems. A very low percentage of women are truly unable to breastfeed due to various medical/ physical reasons. However breastfeeding in this modern age is not easy cos we don't have our grandmas, mums, etc to learn from and it does take preparation, research, support and effort to be able to successfully breastfeed. Also be careful about supplementation with FM as that means your body produces less 1 (or X number of) feed.

Take care, stay positive and don't stress yourself out
happy.gif

Pauline....
Actually I'm also the one who refuse to believe but til now I dont think I'm producing enough for my bb.. The thing is in my opinion, mom shouldnt stress out over this.. need to have enough rest, food n drink.. all of this which is quite a challenge if we dont have anybody to help us around..

But though I dont think I have enough, last nite bb seemed ok to suckle only.. n cos I think it's not much, I tried to gave FM, she didnt drink it..
So... I mean I dont know.. maybe it's quite enough for her.. but the thing is in a short period she need another feed unlike FM which last longer..

wow cactus,
i envy you so much, i am looking forward to that day, hoping to realize it. but i think your pump is better, i am now using avent manual pump. my mum also say my breast is not hard. that's why no milk, is your breast harder when your supply is very little that time? i'll continue to try while i am still on maternity. also worried because i am going back to work next month, might not be able to pump so often.

sleek,
like what u said, i lack of knowledge about breastfeeding when i deliver, didnt pump regularly although i don't have any milk at early stage. i thought i only need to pump when breast is harder, which i found out this is not the case from the dr sears link that u gave me. so regret for not doing enough homework previously.

ling ling and mummies,
i have a query: usually i feed my baby 8 times of FM in a day, i notice that by latching him on before supplement him with FM everytime,it drags his feeding schedule. in the end he only had 6 to 7 feeds a day, will it affect his growth?

pauline,

i only managed to pump 70ml from both side on 2nd wk. when my bb was back, i latched her on my breasts till last wk, we started to bottle feed her..now back to work & pump 3times during office hrs & get 15oz and after work, i'll latch on again and the first feed in the morning will be latch on one side & pump the other side...

agreed with sleek that stress will decrease supply..I don't believe that we cant get enough milk..when i've my 1st one, nurse, gynae & massage lady told me that my nipples were very dry & not producing enough milk but i insisted & latched on frequently & i've enough milk for my son (too bad, i've to stop 2mths later)..probably u r stress thus not much milk..this happened to me when my mil did my 1st confinement & i was extremely stressed out esp when she insisted on formula & insisted that i've no milk...thus pauline u need to relax..also before u return to work, pls try to get someone to bottle feed her so that she won't refuse bottle..u can do it, dont give up...

Pauline, please don't envy me. Every woman is unique. Your milk will come in and you WILL be able to meet your baby's needs. Please believe in yourself.
happy.gif
Initially, my breasts were not hard at all. really. I only experienced engorgement (hardness) about 4th month. BUT hard breasts DOES NOT mean alot of milk. It is actually a warning sign to please feed the baby or please express the milk.. if not, have blocked ducts / infection. I had infection 3 times already.... I know what engorgement means... it's not a good sign. Soft breasts can still have milk. You m entioned that you worry cos you are going back to work. please don't worry (I know it's so easy for me to say this) but the more relaxed you are about, the quicker your milk productino will meet your bb's needs. You have alot of support from mothers on this forum, so hang in there k.

I agree with Doris. I have a left inverted nipple.. .and was told that it's going to be hard to breast feed. Up to today, the milk from my left is about 20% less than the milk from my right side although I've always used a double pump and pumped both sides at the same time.. but my thinking is, less milk from left side is better than no milk from left side, so I persist. Try to make the best out of your situation. There are moms out there (some part of this world) who have no pump to help them express... you are capable of producing milk (during my first week after delivery, I could only hand express 10ml!!! I didn't express through machine cos I was producing SOOO little, whatever milk I was producing would be left on the breast sheild and not even go down the bottle. I was so pathetic!!)I believe you are capable of meeting your bb's needs if you persevere. Trust your body, gal!

Pauline
Latching the bb then the the FM feed become less, means bb got something from the latch on.. u suppose to b happy
happy.gif
btw, baby r better pump so even thou it looks like u pump very little, bb more able to suck them out
happy.gif

Pauline,

i have the same experience as cactus ie milk on shield instead of bottle cos not much milk but now i am able to do it so dont feel discourage..

Ling Ling,

it seems like your supply has increased, that's a gd sign...

Doris, good to know I wasn't alone during the first few days... I was so upset and demorislied to see the milk get stuck on the funnel back then. If I had known of your experience earlier, I wouldn't have felt so upset

doris,
ya, u are right, everytime while pumping, i keep thinking why is it still so little milk. in fact i am doing sales job, so have to think abt work although i am on maternity.

cactus,
u are right, i almost give up and do nothing for the 1st 3 weeks after delivery. after joined this forum, encouragement from mummies here really help me hang in there until today. i will continue to work hard towards realizing my dream to produce more BM.

thank for u all. =)

Doris.... hehehe... actually dont really think my supply has increased that much.. NO engorgement at all... Beside I latch baby after many hours only... I felt may not b enough but bb looks quite happy and refuse FM after the latch... but that's after long long hours
sad.gif

and now with nobody helping ard the house, cant really alocate proper time to pump oredi so just latch bb

ling ling,

if u constantly nurse yr baby, u wont get enogorgement..if bb looks happy, she shd be satisfied..i understand, no helper very difficult to pump & sterilise

cactus, though we hardly have milk initially, we strive on & make it..3 cheers for us :)

pauline, during these 3wks maternity leave, i've also being working from home & i do admit tat work stress will affect supply..if i knew there's this forum 4yrs back, i wont feel discouraged as only my hubby supported breastfeeding...latch on or pump more, yr supply will come in

ling ling,
i am same with you, very busy as i am taking care of baby alone.

doris,
yeah,u are right. nowadays although i find pumping milk very tiring(especially i am alone at home) which i have gave up before, but now i am more determined to do it.

Another 2 days more to go, I have been bf my baby for 1 yr. Recently my supply drops badly because there are 2 weeks, I have cut down one session as I have to go back home to bath for my baby. And due to work also. Now I might to supplement my baby with FM. Feeling so sad.

Maureen
Well done girl... !! 1 yr is very good indeed oredi.. pls ont b sad... Just 2 more dayss !! hang in there

mummies, i hav prob here...

my bb is 6wk old now and on TBF, during the 1st 2wk after deliver, i can easily pump an output of 180-200ml but i dun pump often, only 1-2times a day & i will let my bb latch on most of time, then from 3rd wk onwards, i started to go for total latch on but then last week i decided to pump again coz i wanna feed my boy EBM at nite which he can sleep longer which is 3hrs, coz if i latch him on during nite time he will wake up every 1.5-2hrs!!! but now i realised that i cannot pump so much anymore, i try to pump every 3hrs but can only get 60-100ml, if i pump after latch on (1.5hr later) even worse coz i can only get a pathetic amt of 20ml, i hav been trying so hard for almost a week already but my supply is not increasing... wat else can i do, i already pump / latch on so often but milk still so little... i'm so stress until i wanna giving up liao...

Mon I have started to add some FM to BM and he doesn't really like it. I added too much scoop then I have reduced to 3/4 scoop. He is ok. But I will still give him BM and only supplement with FM if EBM is not enough.

mummies,
i have extra frozen beastmilk to give away. Any idea where can i give to?
The date is still within 3 months.
Frozen breastmilk is store at first few years breastmik bag and Avent cups.

hi jes,
if u are stress abt how much breastmilk u can pump out everytime u pump, it'll affect the vol the u can pump out, try to relax. dont ever give up on breastfeeding, because i done that before for 3 weeks during my confinement, also due to stress from jaundice of my baby and not having support from my mother who keep asking me gv baby FM since i have no breastmilk. later i decided to pick it up again at 4th week of my confinement, i pump every 3 hrly. also, i seek lactation consultant help, and i am now on drug to increase my milk supply. your 60-100 ml now is still much better than mine as i am on drug, i can only pump 40ml each time.
since u are on confinement, u might wan to go through this thread and see how mummies here increase their milk supply by having some food. eg: supplement, fish soup, drink more water, eat more threadfin or cod fish etc....
lastly, hang in there and dont give up.my baby is 3mths now and i can persevere because the mummies here is very encouraging and helpful.

Hi mummies,
After reading all these posts, you gals at least found support from this forum.

I've got pressure from my hubby to stop bf. Cos my baby latch on for hours. And i don't produce a lot of BM. Plus my elder son is behaving badly, attention seeking. So I shld stop bf, and divert my time to take good care of elder one & baby.

So sad, right.

Hi SWM, maybe you wanna pump out breastmilk to feed your baby? Then you can ask your husband to feed her ebm while you spend more time with your son. My elder son is also very naughty and attention seeking, like to bully his meimei.. But he already got used to me latching my daughter =) How old are your kids? My son is 3 years old, my daughter is coming to 5 mths old.

My boy is 3 half, brother is 2 months old.
I also got difficulty find time to express, being busy with 2 kids.

Hi,

I have got organic mother's milk tea bag to let go at cheaper price because i am going to stop breastfeeding soon. pls contact me if anyone is keen at 9662 4562. it is to promotes milk supply.

xueyi,

the following link might be useful to u...on how to increase milk supply.

http://sg.******************/articles/how-to-increase-breast-milk-supply/

impt diet tips for bf mum
http://sg.******************/articles/important-diet-tips-for-breastfeeding-moms/

Posting this in a couple of threads cos I'm quite pleased with this recent find.

I found that fenugreek tabs and nursing teas helped increase my milk but are really quite expensive. Found a shop at North Bridge Rd (722 North Bridge Rd) which sells the herb in its natural state - first time I bought, it was only $2 for 50 grams. Good for quite a few cups of tea. Owner (Encik Wahab HP97341700) is very helpful and will teach you how to brew the tea.

I just bought a second round from him today. He also recommended "black seed" to me, also to increase nursing amongst other benefits. I will try it and post results here or somewhere in the forum for all.

[for those who dont mind the cost, I found Sacred Tea to be v effective. Used that during my confinement month. But v ex.
happy.gif
]

Back