Teacher Mummies

Jas, agreed night can be tiring but we hav got the day time to rest. But the thing is my boy is now napping lesser and lesser. So my whole day is practically spent on entertaining him. Wow...all stay around the east? I'm at central.

Yr pte tut is done at your place?

Kittyng,

No tuition done at student's place. Not very convenient with a baby and active toddler. Plus I teach pri sch so the kids can't really travel to my place on their own.. Most of the parents are at work

Hi all,

Happy Chinese New Year! Been busy since I went back to work in Jan.
My baby girl just turned 5 mths last Saturday. She's busy trying to rotate herself since she turned over around 3 months plus. Feeling the stress and fatigue cos baby's still drinking only BM. Think I'm going to start partial formula when she turns 6 months old.

Envy those of you on NPL... Wish to take too but I've just gotten my Connect plan and wish to get my performance bonus in March before I decide.

Jas and Candy White,
Congrats on the birth of your babies!

I realised tuition is not very stable.. contemplating when I should get back to work... CNY so many cancellations... Argh... plus i haven't got my connect plan payout...

Hi Sonnig, thanks! My gal is now 4 mths old and Im returning to work in end Feb... So reluctant to do so.. plus Im in the afternoon session so I think not a lot of time to spend with my darling after work. Gg to miss her and I do hope I don't have to lug work home to mark.

Jas: Pte tut is like that... Holidays are the downtime but the period nearer to exams you will be super busy. U get the time flexibility thou..
happy.gif

candy_white: I like the flexibility... i took up extra assignments to make up for the downtimes but still when cancel, quite sian coz means loss of income... plus i have a few p6 so after psle sure wont continue already...

if i return to service i get half of what I get from tuition... wont be able to survive... then got to give tuition to supplement... = no time for family...

is anyone here emplaced after having graduated from UNISIM? I'm in my first year of studies... thinking of going on NPL till i gradaute... then at least will have more income... hopefully by then can save up quite a bit

Candy_White,
I was like you... missed my baby quite a lot when I went back to work. Getting used to it now. It's the expressing that's getting to me... Trying to find time in between lessons to express and store.
sad.gif
Still on total breastfeed. Think I'll try to wean her off when she turns 6 months old.
Think PM session not so bad. Lower primary, right? I'm taking P2 so load is manageable.

Jas, do think carefully what you want. If it's family, you just have to forgo certain things first like connect plan as it'll be pro-rated.

Jas, ya I also think you need to consider your priorities again...cox bound to make some sacrifices somewhere. How long is your course? Is it possible to take upl till so long?

Sonnigt3, hang in there! One more mth to go...my boy jus turned 7 mths today and i'm already more relaxed with my pumping after he crossed the 6mths mark. Ya the worst thing was the washing and sterilising of the pump in sch...it was such a hassle.

All of you are teaching pri sch? Anyone teaching in sec sch?

Hi ladies, stumbled onto this discussion thread while browsing for stuff
happy.gif
I'm currently teaching part-time at a secondary school in the East. Pay's a bit of a downer but I like that I get to spend more time with my 2 girls. My girls are 3 years old and 9 months old respectively. Planning to stay in part-time track till my younger daughter is at least 3 years old
happy.gif
Happy New Year to all!

hi teacher mummies,
need some advise...
Do we have to serve any bonds after taking NP childcare leave? heard from someone that got to serve moral bond, but not sure if the source is reliable...

Sonnig,

I'm due to receive my first payout in 2011. But since I took childcare leave, I'm still eligible to get pro rated amount? Wow if that's true it's better than nothing. I thought that my payout will be delayed but the duration of npl I take.

Has anyone received pro rated connect plan here?

Hi Jas,

if we take npl must we serve out any minimum time after going back to school or can u choose to leave service straightaway?

BTW, hello all! I'm a silent reader of this forum, teaching in post-sec level and still bonded
happy.gif
gave birth last april, ds turning 10 mths soon! so naughty now and so am contemplating staying home to watch him cuz i feel its a dangerous age and maybe helper is not as good at running after him as i could be? sigh. so many decisions.

Hi all, don't mind me joining in the thread
happy.gif

Wormy baby- I took 1 month NPL after I gave birth to both daughters and so far, there's nothing about any bond to be served
happy.gif

Jas- I'm gonna receive my 2nd Connect Plan payout this year (wheee!) and I'm currently on the part-time track. My guess is they'll pro-rate and snow-ball the extras to my next Connect Plan payout. Just means more money then, I think
happy.gif

Have a great week ahead, ladies
happy.gif

Hi all,

Xsara- Thanks for the info. At least now i know i can quit anytime once i've decided to stay at home. Can't agree more with ratna mishra, now that my boy turning 1 yr, it's even more tiring to look after him, having to run after him all the time!

Xsara, hi how are your hours like for part-time? I know it has to be an arrangement between teacher and principal n varies.. I wonder if part time gets time to give tuition coz it's a good way to be in touch syllabus and still get connect plan..

Hi xsara,

U on half load now?

supposed i'm on half load in 2010, but was working full load in 2009. Wil my PB in mar 2010 be pro-rated?

Anyone who knows can also share, thanks!

Hi ratna mishra,

Now on npl, didn't have much problem when applying. Just that they keep asking :did u consider properly... $wise and career-wise...

Think mummies here who are on npl just have different priorities... and our babies are of cos on the top of our list!
happy.gif

Hi,

Anyone knows if i will get my connect payout in Dec 2010 if i am on NPL for whole of 2010?

Help, advise pls!

Thanks!

Re: NPL
There is a moral of obligation to serve the same length of NPL taken. Meaning to say if you take a year NPL then u must stay in service for 1 yr before you quit. If not, forget abt seeking re-appointment with MOE in future.

Re: Connect plan
If you are due to receive your connect plan pay-out this year, you will need to be in service and not under NPL on 30 Dec. So if you are on NPL the whole of 2010 and only returning in Jan 2011 or later, then you will not get any pay out on 30 Dec. This is what I have checked with HR.

Wormybaby: From what I knw, if you r on half load in 2010, but was working full load in 2009, your PB will not be affected, meaning not pro rated as the PB given in Mar 2010 is based on your performance in 2009.

candy_white:

thanks for the info! Does that mean that if return to service on 30 Dec itself for that one day, connect plan still pays?

Btw is anyone keen in Avent VIA cups to store breast milk? These are preloved ones but like brand new. Used once or twice. Need to clear space. They are retailing 10 Avent VIA cups 180ml for $29.90, am looking to clear each cup with lid at $1. If keen let me know

Jas: Im not so sure abt returning for that 1 day to get the pay-out. But I doubt any P will allow that leh... Usually when you take long term NPL is by months, weeks and not days. Not sure if Im correct here. I didn't ask that HR officer if possible for that scenario. If you want, maybe you want to call or email HR to clarify?

Thanks a lot candy_white!

Thinking of extending my NPL longer since it's ending soon...

if it's like what u mentioned, that means if i want connect, better go back and work for at least term 4...

anyway to check how much we can get for connect since our amount wil be different from our peers cos of our NPL?

can share the HR number?

sorry, so many questions at one go! ;)

Candy_white,

if have to serve the moral of obligation means cannot happily quit during NPL else next time can never go back MOE, even as flexi...

wah, terrible then! take one year NPL have to die die go back one year. Baby how? sob...sob...

Candy white, does the 1yr of service after 1yr NPL include trying out for #2? Meaning since i'm on NPL for yr2010 and i'm returning to my sch in 2011. And i would like to try for #2...WILL my ML be affected?

wormybaby: Im not so sure how to check the amount we will be getting if it's pro rated for the connect plan. But maybe when you call HR can ask them too? HR no.: 68796879. If not can also email them if you need black and white. Will need to check intranet for the email add. Exactly how long I need to be in service prior to the payout on 30 Dec I didn't ask... Hee.. Cos my not so understanding P refused to approve my NPL when I applied to take immediately after my ML in Feb and threatened to write an adverse report on me if I insisted on applying. That's why I called up HR to check and was disappointed when the officer said "the P is like the CEO of a company so she has the final say..."
sad.gif
However, she did mention she will approvr if I apply later. Sigh.. In anyway, I have already offended P and given her character she will surely make things difficult for me. I will apply again and if not for the connect plan pay-out (next year) I would have left MOE for good. So intend to apply for at least 6 mths to put me in central pool and get out of her clutches hopefully.

For the moral of obligation to be in service after NPL. I think there's a cap of 3 years. But if you intend to take NPL again, I think need to serve for the period of NPL taken or 1 yr (whichever is shorter) before you can apply again.

kittyng: Not very sure too... but I know must be in sch for at least a term to be eligible for ML.

In any case, I would suggest that you read the circular regarding all these leave matters carefully. If need to seek clarification before acting.

Jas,

I have extended my NPL to end of Dec. Supposed to get my connect plan this year. As I am on NPL, will get my connect plan next yr when I rejoin the service, the same goes for my promotion. Btw, are you aware that for every 3 days of NPL we take during term time, MOE will deduct one day of pay from our hols?

Hi all, sorry for not replying to some questions- been a whirlwind few weeks in school
sad.gif

To questions regarding my workload- so far my school has been quite accomodating, but kudos really has to go to my HOD. I personally feel it's MUCH easier knowing that someone's on your team and has your back. My HOD planned the deployment in such a way that I managed to go on half-load, another colleague is on ML, coming back for a month and then going off for a year of NPL while another colleague who's also a BT, is on one year of NPL. Think it helps if the HOD is able to convince the management too.

My workload at half-pay is as follows:
- Full Upper Sec Lit.
- 9 periods per week, 3 periods per day.
- Asst. Form teachership.
- No CCA.
- Attend meetings.

What do you guys think? Fair deal?

Dear Candy_white,
will call HR to check my connect plan, thanks!
ur P is really very mean! thought if NPCCL sure will approve? what's the reason u gave? If no one can look after your bb then of cos have to approve your leave right?
i have a fren's P also don't approve her leave. She went to HQ and applied thru HQ then they inform P to approve her leave. So maybe u can try again, since u already offended her...
thought my P was mean, now that i know about your case, think she was kind enough to approve once she hears that it's for bb...

Dear Xsara,
Wah! ur HOD superb! so many trs with so many different arrangements she still can cope and manage... really very kind and truly concern HOD! (not like some KP only talk, when realy need help then say 'organisational needs... blah... blah...')

think your deal is great!

so u only 3 day week? how many hours u have to be physically in school?

went back to work and really reduced reduced time for my darling le... by the time i got home, bb looked so tired and going to zz soon...
sad.gif

xsara: The deal seems ok leh... So gd.. got an understand HOD.
happy.gif

wormybaby: I told P that there's no one to take care of bb as my mil is old and has my 2 other young nieces to take care of and it would be tiring for me and my hubby to pick my bb up after work every weekday. We are not staying near each other, I don't drive and my hubby knocks off work at different timings everyday. Bb can't stay there as no space and not so nice to impose on my sil (mil staying with them). But P said I shouldn't stop working.. duh.. not everyone is so ambitious like her lor... Ur fren who applied thru HQ... how does she do it? I looked at the application form.. P can indeed choose to tick not approved and give remarks for it leh... Anyway... ever since she found out I was pregnant she had no kind words for me... even before I went on ML her only concern was whether I have completed teaching the syllabus.. Sigh... there are many ridiculous things she said and done... and I definitely think it's unhealthy for new mothers to work in such a stressful environment... I need to get out...

Dear Candy white,

Ur P is really, really too much! I really think she is not in the position to ask u to work lor! it's your child and not hers!

don't rush to quit! i'm sure there are other more 'human' p around. Do ask around and maybe change school.

anyone in HQ u know that can help?

i'll try to ask my fren... no promises... but really want to help cos it's really not fair...

hang on! school's starting again!
sad.gif

i'm super upset. I'm on NPL now, got some money from PB, and now they want to take my money back. more than$1k. Money is tight now and I would have spent it. Now need to return. Sian ah.

hey people, do you think there will be a market for online tuition? what are your thoughts?
I have the software for that.

simply thinking about travelling to students' houses to give tuition is out. I did that right after A levels, uni and then while working, and I think I'm sick of tuition, though the money is easier to make.

actually, there are other ways to make money apart from tuition.

<font color="aa00aa">candywhite:
what wormybaby said is very true indeed. its the principal and the culture of the school.

i am with a new sch this year and its a marked difference. not that my old boss was horrible but this current one is definitely a very people-person. the rest of the sch population is equally understanding and that makes a lot of difference.

glass:
i did consider giving tuition... but gave it up cuz i dont want to work evenings and weekends when the husband and kid are free and at home.

what suggestions do you have? pm me? hee </font>

pSi: Ya.. that's y i want to get out .. No guarantee better but just try... i need to work with humans and not machines.

glass: online tution?? Something new to me.. Not sure how it works... u got other ways to make money besides tuition? Count me in leh...
happy.gif

wormybaby: thanks! Now looking at taking npl from semester2 onwards which she promised to approve... but ranking definitely suffers... who cares anyway...

Hi, I just tendered while on child care leave and found out that I needed to pay one month in lieu of my salary...super upset now. Any teachers out there interested to do ad hoc jobs and come together to build educational packages to sell to schools out there? ONLY MUMMIES PLEASE so that there is a natural understanding for our needs. I'm not sure about the other schools, but the one I came from surely lack manipulatives. Still relying mostly on powerpoint and worksheets only. There is a need out there for manipulatives as mainstream teachers surely don't have enough time to do all these. I did those for my school and we have very good ideas, except no time to explore it and have it fabricated. If you are interested please pm me. Or, any teachers out there doing music....I am looking for opportunities...I'm mad! Don't want to invest heavily. I want to best of both worlds, to have flexi time with my kids. To bring them to school, but still would like to do jobs which I enjoy....can we ever find that in real life? Maybe if I...can finally.... have more contentment.

hi,

any 1 noe if what is the time frame we can utilise the last 2 mths ML?any 1 has a good CL to recommend?i just started to look for 1,but all taken up :<

Hi you all, I am giving tuition on NPL leave.. money's quite good... but it's getting quite tiring... I have an idea to set up student care..If really keen PM me... and yes, must come up with capital one...

Hi mummies, u all think it's better to go on half load or take NPL and give tuition? My colleagues tell me that take half load means take half the pay but do the same..haiz..headache..

<font color="aa00aa">rin:

thats true.. cuz my colleague... on the 3 days that she is around, she has lessons back to back. </font>

can anyone advise me on this.
On maternity leave till end August, reciving my connect plan this end of year 2010. thought of going on no-pay leave during Sept and Oct. Will I still be able to get my connect plan?

I am not sure if u can get your connect plan payout. It is better to call HR directly and ask. Not sure if u have been on NPL before so would like to advise u of the following:

1. your pay in NOV will be pro-rated as you will not be entitled to the full holidays.
2. your connect plan deposit of 2010, end-of-year bonus, performance bonus of 2010 (which u will receive in march 2011) will be pro-rated (minus 2 months plus).

tannies, i went thru the same thing as u last yr. u wil get your connect plan but it will be prorated for this yr. wil get yr nd bonus too but very lil cos they take into account u haven worked for a few months..hope it helps=)

Back