Teacher Mummies

Candy White,
Don't worrry too much. You'll think about having another once you have your 1st. Having children of your own is truly wonderful, especially in watching them grow. Routine is quite easy to set if you start right from when baby's born. I was lucky to get lots of advice from my mother and aunts, regarding breastfeeding and taking care of a newborn. You might be overwhelmed initially, but don't let it get you down and things will turn out fine. I only had 3 months ML back when I had my #1, but managed to set a fixed routine so my maid didn't have a problem taking care of her after the 3months.

Jas,
You are still young so recovery'll be faster after childbirth. I'm lactose-intolerant so took lots of calcium tablets. Apart from that, I take lots of anchovies and dark green veg. Actually, it's fine if you have a healthy and balanced diet, especially during confinement.

Sonnig: speaking of confinement food, one can really get sick of it. Everything smells of sesame oil. I haven been eating much vege of late kinda no appetite when I look at them but I do take milk for pregnant mums and it includes folic acid, iron n calcium. I hope that helps. Actually most of us are lactose intolerant. I learnt that you have to drink milk warm n not cold especially in the morning. I get tummy ache too if I take cold milk

Jas,
I know what you mean, but can't recall where I heard it from - sesame oil contains fibre so it helps to prevent constipation. I've tried taking milk of all kinds and warm too, but it doesn't help. Even cooking with any kind of milk upsets my stomach.. sad. At least good for you that you can take warm milk. Take more often.
happy.gif

Sonnig: did u try soy products? I didn't know the benefits of sesame oil. With 4 kids your home must be bustling. Work hard now soon in years to come they will all be grown up. Speaking of a supportive husband, mine love kids but he doesn't like to stay home. So it's been tough. Like when u comes back from work he likes to go out and on his off days he will meddle with the car or organize some outing with his cousins. The activites are not kid friendly so i can't take my son to join him. Stuff like fishing n tennis.. Hope he will change

Jas,
Yes. I'm usually taking soy milk and stuff, but do get sick of it once in a while. Sounds like your husband's still not used to handling kids. Don't worry. It takes time. Mine also took a while initially as I used to point out to him certain activities are not suitable to take kids along. So, he gradually changed his activities to suit the children. Best thing to do is suggest directly to your husband outings where you can take the children, such as picnic by the beach, library trips and playing in the park. If you don't say it, he might take longer to figure it out.
happy.gif

I always believe in discussing with my hubby so we don't end up disappointing our children or each other.

hi all teacher mummies,
how's everyone?
my edd is end next month, about the same as anyone here?
was sent for PSLE marking leh and feeling quite uncomfortable the whole day!
sad.gif

halooo min...

My edd is on the 2nd dec. I was sent for marking also. But my gynae gave me 4 days mc to rest. Back ache rite? Remember to bring a small pillow to rest ur back yeah...

hi haffa,
yah quite uncomfortable and very very hot!
good move to get MC from doctor..
Im going for my appt tmr and will prob get MC for the last two days..

Hi all, yeah we survived 4 days! Back to school on Monday, sigh! Gained some new insight from other teachers the past few days. One asked me to go on NPL after apr increment, jun bonus and july's nwc.. Haha

need to consider... Acually I feel rejuvenated after one week break n hearing so many stories from the experienced colleagues.

One quote that struck me:"I don't care who's the principal or RO as long as I do my job well, nobody can do anything to me"

hi i delivered on 5th dec n applied for NPL for 2010.

Happy new year to all! Didn't realise my post was the last for 2009. Was wondering how come there's no updates from this thread.

Happy new year mummies!! Congrats Jas! I've delivered my girl too on the 26th Nov. Why are u taking npl and not maternity leave dear?

Hi mummies, it's a new year and how has everyone been?

I have a question and wondering if anyone here could help. My maternity leave is ending in Feb and I am now thinking of taking NPL until Oct/Nov this year. I have heard that NPL takes one month to be approved. So is it possible to take NPL immediately after my maternity leave and can my principal reject the application and insist that I go back to work?

Thanks.

blessedcyn,

I'm staying in Pasir Ris

candy_white,

on childcare reasons, your principal has little reason to reject you. You need to apply a month in advance. After I decided to apply, I went to speak to my principal and explained to her why I want the leave and she approved then asked me to submit the form.

Hi Jas, thanks for replying. Any idea can I take NPL immediately after maternity leave so I need not return to school at all or I have to go back report first, then apply and wait one month for approval?

Hi Jas, congrats! Have not log in for a long time. took me awhile to get use to my "new status" and to remember my password! I am currently on npl till term 2.

candy white:

My npl starts immediately after my maternity leave. In fact, I applied npl one mth after I gave birth. need to attached a copy of bb's birth cert together with the application form.

Hi gilala, thanks for the info. Think i must act fast if i don't want to return to sch... im only left with 1.5 mth of maternity leave.

Jas: Do you need to call up HQ or any moe dept when it's time to return or moe will send u letter to notify u of your posting? Can we actually approach the sch of interest ourselves?

candy_white,

My colleague told me to approach the school of interest first, then you know where you will be posted to else, MOE will send a letter to notify the posting. You don't have to return school, can just submit the form and birth cert to your office.

gilala,

Thanks! how old is your child now? Mine just turned one month. She's so cute.. Real chubby cheeks..

Blessed, yes i gave birth on 5th dec. I took leave till end of the year. If possible will extend my leave. I'm enjoying myself now. Little stress. Establishing tuition clients. So many referrals i can hardly breathe.

Hi mummies...i'm staying in Tampines too! I will be returning to work in Term 2 and most probably won't be extending my leave.
happy.gif

Im supposed to return to work on 22 Feb but decided to take NPL till end of this year. Sent my P an email abt my decision to take NPL last week. Now pending approval from her. But I have a feeling she won't approve. If she does not then what should I do? Will it help by writing to HR?

wow, so many easterners... too bad you are all returning to work. Just found out my cousin is on NPL too... she plans to resign.. I would if I can save up to pay off the bond. Have 3 months left. Any idea how much that will work out to be?

gilala, wow can flip already.. must be careful. Cannot leave baby alone to take towel, wipes...

I just put my baby on the table and take whatever I need coz cannot flip now mah... Everyday bathe sure to forget one item.. very bad memory

Hi teacher mommies, my twins were delivered on Dec 1st. My leave ends 22 March. I wish to take NPL but really cant coz with twins my expenses really high......
Just yesterday went for the 6in1 jab plus the other jabs.... Paid the package and it came out to $1700 for the both of them. How to take NPL?! Feel quite sad about it actually coz I also want to be here for them all the way.

Jas,
Thanks for your advice.
My brain seems to have "holes" after I gave birth too. Very bad.
sad.gif

Sophia,
Did you use the cda funds to pay for the jabs?
Maybe you can apply for npl from 23 March till mid may? By then your gals will be 6 mths old. Return to work for a few wks, then its hols again. Just have to "lugi" 1.5mths of pay.

Hi Teacher mummies, I delivered my boy on 4th dec
happy.gif

sophia, wow twins.. taking care of one is already not easy, you have two!

my ML is til March, thinking whether to take no pay until may and go back aft june hols.. can give tuition in the meantime, Jas, how did you get referrals? from the same sch?

Me stay in bedok! we are all easterners

Sophia,
you should consider the option of taking them to the polyclinic for their jabs. It's very much cheaper. Consultations are like a dollar plus after subsidy...

My first had all his jabs there. Service is the same as private hospital and even faster coz there is priority queue...

Gilala,
is this your first child?

Min,
I didn't get any referrals from school. I took some from agents and then the parents themselves referred their child's classmates /colleague's kids...

Jas, the polyclinic nearest to my place is packed with people all the time. I was there very often as my twins had mild jaundice after delivery and had to go there for testing every few days. For all the times I was there, I never had the chance to see even the same doctor. I have thought about jabs at polyclinic, but I also wanted a doctor whom I can go to if there were any illnesses my kids suffered from. My experience as a pregnant woman in KKH was scary enough, don't want to go through again with the babies.

Sophia,
I understand what you mean. Initially, I went to the polyclinic near my mum's place. My hubby asked the nurse what is the difference between 5 in 1 and 6 in 1, she could not give us an answer! We left on the spot and told her we changed our mind. Terrible lor. So we went back to my bb's pd to take the jabs.

We can arrange for a meet up since we all stay in the east.

Min: are u in the NOV 2009 mummy thread? I thought I saw your name there

blessedcyn,

At least 1mth in advance. For my case, I informed them around 2 mths in advance cos they need time to get a RT.

Hi jas, congrats! I also applied for 1yr UPL in 2010. Finished my ML in Oct and went back sch jus to clear my sch hols so that I can apply 1 whole yr leave. Like u said, i'm really enjoying all the time with my son now, witnessing all his first milestones
happy.gif
So for those teacher mummies planning to apply UPL, everything is jus worth it!

kittyng, good to hear that! actually I'm quite bored at times when baby is sleeping. I'm giving private tuition now so it kind of give me something to do and time off baby. Night can be so tiring..

blessedcyn: I don't mind a meet up too.. But hope we don't end up talking about work and our students. It always happens when I meet up with teacher friends... Occupational hazard..

A good place to meet up would be Downtown East. It's rather quiet during the weekdays..

btw I've received one big bag of glass bottles from a very nice lady. Collected today. Don't mind sharing coz I don't think I can use up all the bottles. It's for storing breastmilk.

Back