Dr Chan from Glen E

Hi Jane

yes, my hubby and i did think abt saving the cord blood and store in cord blood bank...but was considering the cost of it...but if financially can afford, i think its good since this will really save the bb or even us if anything goes wrong...

hi jane,

wow, pap smear also $200? thats plus consultation? but pap smear no scan right? normally, they will send me the results. I have nvr done pap smear by dr chan before.

if got complications during birth, i believe his charges will be super high. no leh, me not civil servant. medisave deductino was standard at abt $1.8K only...

thanks for the tip on not letting others carry bb...i also dun like. hope bb will be fast asleep during full month party so hb & i can have time to entertain our frens
happy.gif

no, after much research and askg ard frens, did not sign up for cord blood banking. wanted to donate it to SCBB but too bad during my birth time, gleneagles hospital has not tied up with SCBB yet.

Hi win win,

i heard SCBB has finally tied up with Gleneagles. u can check if u have decided to donate your bb's cord blood.

Hi lovedogs,

$200 includes the pap smear, ultrasound scan and consultation. He told me that ovarian cancer very hard to detect. Got to look for cycst. No symptoms at all. So must do scan every year.

Just make sure u got someone to carry bb when she is awake. Adults r ok, just scared of kids.

Hi winwin,

Was skeptical about the cord blood thingy till I read abt the case of the boy who received the donated cord blood. Now kind of regret not signing up or donating. Heard that costs about 1K plus a year. Can consider as a form of insurance.
Hope never need to face this situation. Sigh.

Hi Jane

i went to motherhood exhibition on Sunday. Cordlife was there, so i asked them abt the package, apparently there's a one time free of 1400 (they giving 300 discount off so its 1100) and every year a fee of 250...

think hubby more or less decided to sign up...he felt that this is an insurance for bb and 250 per yr quite affordable...

Hello all

I am plannning to choose Dr Chan as my gynae. First time seeing him on Friday - what should i expect on my first visit. I am in my 6 weeks now.

Hi starry70,

Dr Chan is a friendly n brilliant doc. A good choice for new mummies though his rates r higher than others. The staff there r very helpful too.
For first chkup, the clinic assistant will take ur weight n blood pressure. Then urine test using the paper indicator.

As 4 the checkup, since only 6 wks, can see only the yolk sac. Dr Chan will use a probe via vaginal. Super uncomfortable.

Btw, be prepared to wait at least an hr for ur consultation. HIH

just wonder anyone had C section by Dr Chan...my friend just gave birth by C section and looks much easier then natural birth leh....so wondering if i shld opt for C section instead...but also scare of the recovery time and pain....hmmm

hi winwin,

i had c-section last june by dr chan due to some issue..and i've nvr regret at all. his stitches is very gd! and i could get down the bed the very nxt morning! its almost painless for me..recovery was also fast.

dr chan is reali gd! im definately goin back to him for my second one! worth it!

Hello all

i managed to see the yolk sac and the fetus at week 6, strong heartbeat too. Amazing. Looking forward to my next visit,hopefully no more V-scan though..haha..*shys*..

Hi starry70

i think V scan will last till ur 3rd mth....i m in 19 weeks now and last check up is 15weeks and that was the first time the scan done via tummy not v....not sure abt others..

Hi starry70,

Yup, winwin is right.. I just had my visit with Dr.Chan earlier this week (15 weeks). He did the scan via the tummy, no more V-scan.
happy.gif

So when is your next visit?

Hello Botanist!

then i suppose my next visit also v scan cos only 11 months plus. :p

My next visit on the 26th July
happy.gif

Hi,

Can i check on the full name of Dr Chan as i saw that there are many Dr Chans around? Does Dr Chan handle high risk pregnancies meaning those having higher risk of miscarriage and those with fertility problem?

Simp : Dr Chan only delivers in GlenE and the supporting team know him very well. Heard from my friend.. he also goes to SGH for research also.

The problem with high risk preggy, is that you need a doc that wont panick under sudden happenings and make accurate diagnose and prescribe the correct treatment. ** remember , it 1 thing to know what is wrong and experience,knowledge and guts to treat**:p

Hi Jgal,

Ya i agree wih you. I am already scared of having cesarean because of my laparoscopy done this year. I am concerned about infection and implications etc. So need a experienced gynae.

How old does dr chan look like?

Hi Simp,

Im delivered by Dr Chan last june 07 thru c-section, i can only say 'Thumbs up" for him! Not only its not painful after the effect of anaesthesia..*(my threshold of pain is very very low) my stitches was nicely done up..one straight line..and believe anot, i got out of my bed the nxt day and walk around!

I guess Dr Chan is not only good in child birth but also good in fertility and other related pregancy issues..

I think Dr Chan is around late 50's?? not very sure but dun worry, your choice is right with him. Im planning for a 2nd one soon..and im sure that im goin back to him..
happy.gif

Dear Tempura76,

Thanks for the info. I am relieved to learn that both gynae i am considering are in their 50s. They must really be experienced and skilled. Ok i can discuss with hubby and try to decide soon.

Hi mummies,
Just to share, i'm in my 34weeks now with Dr Chan.
I also considered quite long before signing him cost he is really on the ex side.
200+ for each appt before signing of package @750 (if i don remember wrongly.)
Checking via v is only for the first visit & 33 weeks for Strep B culture), after that will be via tummy.
Pros about Dr Chan is his scanning skill are really great (of course the equip plays a great part too). Esp for the 4D scan, u can see the baby so clearly :)
Cons are his nagging on the weight issue (but for own good though) & long waiting time.
Cheers!

just to share...

my 5th child was delivered by dr chan. my 4 kids were delivered by another gynae. i switched to dr chan after my gynae retired and under the "heavy" recommendation by friends.

indeed, he is v different. most importantly his stitching is superb! with my ex gynae i still feel the pain after birth, gotta sit down and walk slowly. but amazingly with dr chan, i can literally jump out and onto the bed right after birth, as if i forgotten i just given birth! i asked him why this is so and he told me his sticthing is different from other gynaes thats why i feel less / dun feel the pain.

veriblur
i agree! he is v naggy abt weight issues! haha..

yes yes....i agree that he is very naggy on the weigh...in fact make me quite stress sometime heheh but of coz he meant to be good also lar...

i am 27th week already and so far very happy with Dr Chan...
happy.gif

i intend to sign up with Dr Chan for his package as he is one of the best gynaes I have seen! Now into my end of first trimester, I feel that I am in good hands. His charges are on the high side though but so far, he has been very detailed in his scans!

anyone on his package knows when it is started? his nurses said it will start on the 4th month so which week is that?

Hi,

I heard alot of good comments on Dr Chan. Can anyone comment if Dr Chan is pro-natural birth, ie discourage epidural? Will he explain things slowly and not rush through the session? And how old is he? Thanks alot for sharing
happy.gif

Hi Vitamin

I m 33rd week now and have not discuss abt birth method with Dr Chan...will ask him next week when i get to see him...

he explain very patiently and never rush thru any session.....so far quite satisfy with him...guess he is late 50s? not too sure heheh

Hi Thumbs up for Dr Chan. Both my kids delivered by him. My colleagues also goes to him.

He is recommended by my dr in company. He is good. Even my family GP's 3 kids all delivered by him. I think he is just late 40 near 50, hair white only.

The nurses at GEH full of praises for him. I had both induced labour with epidural. First baby delivered at 10 am, 12 pm i walking around. SEcond baby at 3 pm, they have new rule that I was on epidural must stay in bed but 10 pm, I beg them to let me down. Aiyo no pain, and his stitches are realli good.

For Epidural, first baby I ask him if I should try natural without epidural, he told me what for. Ha ha so i go for epidural. If you ask me , my delivery is painlss man, even after delivery nurse keep asking if I need painkiller I find them mah fan.

You know he has the passion in looking at the babies when he do the scan for you. I enjoy all my visits even my daughter he explain to her when I am expecting my son.

Enjoy and be assured you are in good hands under Dr Chan

Hi winwin,

I absolutely agree with Chicken Little. Both my kids were delivered by him and I can gladly say that he has your best interests at heart. When I decided to go for amnio test, he was very reassuring that everything would go smoothly. I almost could not feel the pain when the needle was drawing the fluid. His hands were very steady and he was quick and precise during the precise.

His charges are high, but u r paying for his expertise. The only grouse I have is that he is very particular about weight gain, till I was also paranoid before the scheduled visits.

Hi

I have just delivered my girl under Dr Chan as well last Monday. Natural with Epi. And true enough, his stitches are so good that u dun even need any painkillers at all....but of course u are paying a premium for his expertise. But i decided its worth it...
happy.gif

starry70

here's the breakdown:

2 bedder (normal delivery w epi) : $1595

Dr Chan's Fees : $2180
Epi Doc Fees : $325
PD Fees : $214

Total charges : $4314

Medisave : $1800
Cash : $2500

Jane
Agree. Ha ha my first pregnancy, I worried so much every time i visited him. My hb even vouched for me dunno why the weight gain up so much even tho i never eat much. Even after pregnancy check, annual check, he will still ask you to lose weight.

starry, winwin

I used Dr YY Yip coz he was my son's PD as well.

As i delivered at 12 plus, Dr Chan visited me around 6.30 pm on the delivery day. Then on the second and third day, he visited me once in the morning about 9 am.

my gal was delivered by Dr Chan on last sat...must say his stitches skill damn good..i can sit up very soon after delivery and hardly feel any pain since then
happy.gif
guess the "higher" doc fee is all worth it

Ya man it is damn good right.

You know all the nurses in the ward sing praises for him. I recommended all my fren who needs referral to him. Never regret going to him.

Congrats winwin
happy.gif

So happy to know he's skilled..hehe..are stitches indefinate? meaning we will definately go through episiotomy? or the stitch is result of a tear?

Does he advocate us to use epidural ah? I was thinking i am more scared of the big needle than the pain..hmmm

hi starry70

Dr Chan is a believer of epidual...and after my experience, i m now a believer of epidual too...i think it helps to reserve energy for the real push (rather to fight with the pain)...btw the epidual put on during contraction time..so the injection pain is nothing compare to contraction pain...Dr Dicky Tay did the epidual for me and he is damn good just like Dr Chan
happy.gif

dear mummies/ mummies to be,

anybody is currently with Dr Chan? I read many positive comments about him in this thread..but just would like to seek recent opinions. thanks

baby_blessed
Wat do you need to know about Dr Chan. My fren just delivered her son under him on 28 Dec. me not expecting but still do my annual check with him

Hi chicken little,
Thanks for replying so fast. Does he take time in explaining things to us, or is he just a rush type and doesn't comment much? Does his stitching skill still very good? Overall, does your friend happy with Dr Chan's service?
hehe..paiseh..so many questions. TIA

Baby_blessed,

I am currently with Dr Chan.

He is that kind of gynae that will manage yr worries to the least.

And yes, he is concerned over weight gaining issue and always will wan mum to be to exercise more.

i just delivered my son via c section last week and amazingly the wound does not hurt at all and i was already up walking in the ward on the 2nd day, and even when i went to remove my stitches 2 days back, there was no pain or keloids.

i definitely will go back to Dr Chan for my 2nd child and yes agree with sunflower, he's the healthy kind of doc so he would always nag at me to exercise more otherwise cannot push baby out, but that was before i opted for c section as he is rather pro-natural.

Hi all,

can someone give me some feedback on Dr. Chan in terms of his service, attitude, beliefs, etc? Is he attentive during each visit, is he liberal, etc?

Thanks!

hello Elynn & Jack

i just delivered in Feb by Dr Chan

he's a rather professional doctor, gives good but frank/direct advise. he's particular abt weight gain, n quite pro epidural (no nonsense person)
happy.gif

dutifully answers your question, yup liberal doc, his staffs r super friendly. overall good service though not cheap

Thanks Starry70..Congratulations to you!

I just found out i am pregnant and am hoping to find a gyane that i am comfortable with, and not the old fashioned school thought doctor...

I have made appointment to see him on Monday...so hope all will go well!

Back