Catholic moms / moms to be

MellyJong: Yes there is a price difference between you and the other mothers on that chat that is why i thought you are expecting twins.

My package is 988. Normal delivery is 2k, i also noticed you mentioned normal delivery is 4k. That is why i was wondering.

Bottle-feeding
I will be introducing the bottle feeds to my girl within the month itself, so a mix of direct latch on and bottle feed. I heard from plenty of people to not wait too long to introduce the bottle to them or else it would be very difficult later on but definately with breast milk and not FM.

Breats Pumps
I had also been in the same position as you ladies and after weighing out all my options and reviews, i decided on a Medele Freestyle as i wanted the ease of carrying it to work.
The weight between the PISA and Freestyle is very different. Try carrying it then you would understand. Both suctions are actually the same according to the specs.
Why i decided to get the local set as compared to the US set because servicing wise it would be cheaper then the US set and as it is a mechanical item it would definately need servicing of the motor after a a period of time. I intend to keep the Freestyle for my next few children we would most likely have as well.
happy.gif

Almost all my friends who either bought the single pump or duo pump from Avent or Medela, will end up buying the Medela Freestyle as all of them are working mums and need the portability. It makes a whole lot of difference.
Hence i decided to invest once and for all in the Freestyle then to eventually have multiple sets.
happy.gif

I bought my set during the Taka baby fair but you would be able to get great deals as well during the Motherhood fair this weekend.

Hope it helps!
happy.gif

bottle-feeding - i used to expressed the night feed and put in bottle so that confinement lady can feed the baby at night. later, it worked so that husband can feed the baby. heard it's good for bonding.

breast pump - i used the medela and quite liked it but had a hard time finding the right size for the breast shield and found it quite painful as my nipple kept rubbing against the side. but got used to it. then it conked out (old) and i borrowed my friend's avent. i find it more comfortable and also the suction was quite good. so i am going to use the avent for this new baby. but both brands performed well for me. Adeline - can i ask why you think the medela is more portable? is it because it is backpack style, instead of tote bag?

massage - do any of you recommend your massage lady?? i am looking for someone to do pre-natal massage but both that i contacted are not available now. i haven't been sleeping well and really need a relaxing massage... thanks!

@Maryanne: which medela pump did you use previously?? Adeline is comparing between 2 different models from medela.

@Adeline: I guess freestyle is more portable but the replacement parts are different from the other models. lol. i already bought some spare parts for my swing. how much did you buy your FS for? and how many kids are you intending to have? haha i also thought about keeping it for my future kids BUT that'll be another few years' time so not sure if it can tahan all the way. think i'll rather sell it off and get a new one again.

Hi Adeline,
How come your package soooo much cheaper than mine??? Must ask the clinic next time I'm there...($998 for how many months?)
From what I understand there are 2 separate charges: hospital charges & doc fees. For gleneagles hospital, normal delivery costs $2k. Then for Dr Chan fees, its $4K for normal delivery.
Hope I got that right! Or I will have to ask the clinic nurse again when I'm there next...

Maryanne: Yes i was comparing the portability between the PISA and Freestyle. Definately the Medela Freestyle is easier and lighter to carry to work.

Prenatal Massage
I have been going to a TCM for my prenatal massage and simply love it.
Details: Jing Jing TCM located @ 7 Neil Rd
Masseur: Ai Tee
Charges: $45 p/hr

Sunkissed: I bought my Freestyle during the Taka fair from the direct supplier which is Mums & Babes after weighing my options between a US and local set. Decided on the local set for warranty purpose,convenience and cost savings in the long run. Hopefully we are planning for a total of 3, however am currently expecting my first and she is due next month. Will then try for one in 2014 and 2015. So it should be able to work well for the next 5 straight years. Hahahaha......

Hi MellyJong,

Yea i told my DH about your package and we dont quite understand why the vast difference. I have to check in which week we started the package, i believe it was week 20+ though.
Do you have any exceptional care needed or all your checks are normal so far?
Yes hospital fee is different from doc fees.

According to the package we signed with gynae, it is stated there that his normal delivery fee is $2k and daily visit is $250 per trip.

Hospital fees/package is according to the brochure given by the hospital or it can be found online. However we signed our hospital package in 2011 as there was a price increased after 26 Dec 2011. Therefore the hospital will honor the old price which we signed for.

I am guessing this is your first born? Are you expecting a girl/boy? Did you sign for a single bedder?

@sunkissed/adeline - i was using the freestyle. it was a friend's old one, she used for 2 kids and then passed to me. and it was working well until one day conked out. but i brought it to the supplier and they just fit in a new power supply pack (about $30 or $50) and it was as good as new after! so i think it can last for a long time...
happy.gif

thanks for sharing the TCM contact. but the location is not convenient for me. i made an appt for home massage this friday. looking forward!

Maryanne: My pleasure, anytime.I normally go after work as it is close by.
happy.gif

How much is your home massage and is it done by a malay lady or TCM?

So looking forward to my massage this evening!

Hi all, I need some advice.
1.How do I get the pump to express more? i've started to express my breast milk but can only get about 40 ml out each time and little one needs a lot more than that for each feed.. Confinement lady spoon fed her 80ml once and she was still crying for more. after pumping breast is still heavy so I know there's more. Currently using Avent pump.
2. Since I know she needs more than 1 packet (40ml) of the expressed milk, what do I do if we need to go out, bring all the packets? (confinement lady says I should not combine the expressed milk before freezing)

@1Bean: how often are you expressing now? recommended to do it 3 hourly right after birth for a month to get your body to produce more milk. do you massage your breasts before expressing? it's to stimulate the breasts so that the milk can come out.

some tips from the breastfeeding booklet from kkh:
- adequate rest
- well-balanced diet and avoid skipping meals
- drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water

i read from other forums that you should drink LOTS of liquid eg soup and water.

i do combine the expressed milk before freezing.. not sure if it's okay though. actually what the LC told me to do is to freeze the half-filled bottle then the next pumping session, cool the milk down in the fridge then top up the frozen milk. but i switched to using milk bags so that wasn't possible. so now i would put the half-filled bag in the fridge then top it up with the next session and freeze it.

can't offer advice about the going out part since i've not experienced it
sad.gif

@maryanne: i saw that your period came back 6 months after giving birth! mine came a few days back so that's nearly 4 months after birth. thought it wouldn't come back so soon! you were breastfeeding exclusively back then?

Hi Adeline,
Tried to send you pm but your setting doesn't accept. Wanted to tell share more...
Anyway went to the clinic today for check-up & asked the nurse abt the difference in charges. Apparently prices have doubles cos of Dragon year
sad.gif

Too bad ...

@sunkissed- thanks.. I do massage but stil cant get everything out.I think I'll combine the expressed milk before freezing. I tried to introduce the bottle to the little one and failed terribly. So I guess I'll just stock up the milk till she's ready.

@Adeline - my massage was by a malay lady, she is quite good. $50. quite cheap for home massage. i think i will use her for normal massage next time. she used clarins oil or lavender oil.... but i thought preggy cannot use lavender?? so i was abit disturbed. but i havent googled yet. might be wrong.

@1Bean - sounds like u got milk left in there cos if empty, it will be flat and soft and saggy. same advice as sunkissed, massage and pump more. how long do u pump for? i can't really remem... but i think about 20min at least. mebbe can call the lactation consultant at your hospital to ask for advice??

combining frozen milk - i think cannot cool down frozen milk and add fresh one!! once frozen things are thawed (even for meats), shouldn't freeze them again cos bacteria grows. I think also not good to add fresh (warm) milk to the cold bottle. but can combine 2 half bottles of cold milk. better be careful when the babies are so young.

@sunkissed - yup, i was breastfeeding exclusively when period came back... u think there is any connection? not sure why some pple's comes back so soon and others only after stop breastfeeding...

MellyJong: Gosh the package has really increased tremendously. Oh well, apparently he is good at what he does. It's my first delivery so i expect pain-free and quick recovery for the price i pay! Hahaha.....
I have change my settings so you can PM me if you like to.

Maryanne: Might try yours next time just for normal massage. Can i get the contact number pls?
Cheers!

Besides me, anyone expecting to pop in June?

@maryanne & mellyjong - thanks for the advice. I've tried to massage now and not much of a difference. I sometime pump before the feed ( cause too much milk comes out too fast and she ends up choking) for 5 min or less, if after the feed I try to pump till breast is limp, but it doesn't always happen, and I've started to pump the breast that she doesn't feed on ( sometimes she only drinks 1 side and is done).
My confinement aunty is leaving next week.. So not looking forward to it...
sad.gif

My Malay massage lady charged $400 for 7 sessions if anyone is interested.

Hello Adeline! When is your EDD again? Should be real soon right?

Think the doctors are planning for her discharge
happy.gif
should be in 2 to 3 weeks time. just that she has problem with drinking cos she'll get tired after awhile. Most likely will be discharged with tube feeding and oxygen also.

Hi Sunkissed. So happy for you that bby will be going home soon.
Last Sunday I brought Bby Gracelyn to church for our first mass since confinement ended. It went well but had to make a quick dash out when she showed signs of her going to start to cry. But it was a false alarm. We didn't go into the cry room cause I think it's much noisier in there and she was starting to doze off.
How's everyone? The thread seems to have slowed down.
happy.gif

Hi sunkissed,
Edd was 25 June but my girl decided to give us a surprise on the 17 June(Father's Day), definitely a memorable day for my hubby! Hahaha....

Good to hear everything is going well for the both of u. Hows Kyra doing now?

1Bean: Have you baptized your gal yet? My gal will be baptized first week of Aug. So bought her baptism gown and etcs.
happy.gif
Which parish do you go to again?

Any mummies baptizing our child yet?

Hello Adeline! Congrats (thought a bit late :p) ya your hubby must have been really happy.

Kyra was supposed to be discharged this weekend but she went back on oxygen on thursday and developed a fever on friday
sad.gif
oh well. have to be patient and trust in the Lord.

Probably won't be baptizing her so soon as she requires oxygen and the feeding tube.

Sunkissed, thanks!
Hope dear Kyra will get well soon and dont worry babies have all their angels watching over them.
I truly admire how strong you are, stay strong and healthy for yourself too.

When she is all well you can then organize her baptism and am sure it will be soon.
happy.gif

Kyra and your family are in my prayers.

God Bless!

Hi Adeline congratulations! How are u ad the baby doing so far?
I missed the paperwork submission date for my daughter, so she'll be baptized in Sept, if we get the paperwork in order. Will be baptizing her at Holy Family Church.
Sunkissed, is everything alright with Kyra? She's a fighter and God is definitely watching over her. Do let us know when she's good to go home. What is her weight now and how is her development?

Hello!

Kyra is well and very active. She has reached the age where she loves ppl to play with her and carry her. Doctors are trying to wean off the oxygen so probably will keep her for 2-3 weeks more. Her weight is 3.66kg yesterday. Grown a lot since birth
happy.gif
Development in terms of corrected age is on track I think. Haven't really spoken to the doctor about her development though.

Thanks ladies for your prayers
happy.gif

1Bean,my daughter and I are doing well. She is in her 7th week and growing well. I had her documents submitted for the Aug baptism. She will be baptized this Sunday at Holy Family Church.
Whhich mass session do u normally attended at Holy Family?

Sunkissed, good to know that Kyra is growing well. Is she still under observation in the hospital? How have u been?

seems like it's more likely daughters here! haha. yup she's still in hospital but was weaned off oxygen since thursday night
happy.gif
seems to be doing well and super active now.

i've been fine, just waiting for her to be discharged so i can prepare her stuff!

Congratulations Sunkissed.
Adeline- I used to attend the Sat 6pm mass but since Gracelyn came, I've been going to St Joseph with my mum if Gracelyn is ready in time. ( cause its not air coned, I can easily take her out when she starts crying and stil participate in mass). My friend had her daughter baptized during the Aug mass. I'll see if we can make it for the Sept, if not it will have to be Nov.

Hi all,

I have a question regarding baptism. I am having twins and am wondering does it means that I have to get 2 sets of godparents for them?

Thanks.

Hi Adeline,

I'm new here. Read that your baby was baptized at Holy Family. I'm hoping to baptise my soon-to-be 5-mth-old there. Haven't been successful in praying for a godparent. I finally found a friend who's willing to be baby's godma but Fr Patrick said no bec she's a divorcee
sad.gif
Headache.....

Welcome dancing queen. Your mum or a relative can be a godparent and it's not restricted to the same gender as the child that is being baptized.
Ariadne, I believe they can have the same Godparents.
Anyone has a good part time maid to recommend?

1Bean: I attend the Sunday mass @ 11.15am.

Dancing Queen: Yea get a relative then, i got my cousin to be my daughters godparent. The logic behind being a godparent is so that the godparent can ensure and be a role model through living the christian life.
RC does not acknowledges divorcees unfortunately.
AM sure you will be able to find a good godparent for your baby.

Hi all! long updates!!
I delivered my gal on 6/6.. surprised as my edd was 17th..
gynae wasn't ard.
sad.gif
so replacement gynae handled badly. not up to my expectation. luckily he charge cheaper..
16hrs labour.. super tired. emergency c-sec.

i'm baptizing my gal in SMOTA on 7th Oct 3pm.

Hihi! I've been meaning to post for ages!!
I gave birth on Aug 1 by planned c-sect cos bb was breeched and refused to turn even though my doc tried ECV(?) 3 times. I also went to chiropractor, but didn't work.

First month was quite tough, but getting better now. I also have lots of help. Thankful for that.

I haven't thought about baptism yet. But you can find lots of nice white outfits (for girls and boys) from Chateau De Sable
happy.gif

Sounds like lots of mummies go to Holy Fam! I attend the 11.15am mass there too but don't remember seeing so many pregnant ladies there
happy.gif
Will prob be baptizing at Queen of Peace as it is nearer to my new place.

congrats Maryanne.
I'm trying different churches n times for the mass cause sometimes my daughter fuses or the cry room is too noisy etc.
My daughter just turned 4mths n there are days that are so tough that I pray for God to help me through
Anyone knows how kyra is doing?
Does anyone here need a sarong bouncer?

HELLO EVERYONE
happy.gif

Sorry, haven't been visiting here. Kyra was discharged on national day but unfortunately, admitted 4 days later for a week plus. Now she's back and a healthy 5.5kg
happy.gif

She's growing well but went home with oxygen and feeding tube. Didn't have oxygen initially but we decided to bring her back on oxygen after she was warded cos didn't want to keep her there and expose her to sick kids.

Anyway, many east side mummies here
happy.gif
I go to divine mercy for mass.

hi sunkissed
ur gal is doing well
happy.gif
5.5kg.. my gal is going for her baptism on 7/10/12..
so exciting!!
her godma bought her a suit with shoes then i got her a white headband..
my gal will be 4mths nxt friday. @ 3mths, she weighs 5.9kg.

Hi mummies, do you know of anyone who wants breastmilk? I have a catholic friend who has too much frozen ones n wants to give away.

Hello ladies,
Sorry for not posting sooner...
I have given birth on 10 sept to a healthy baby gal, 3.6kg and 51cm. It was both an exhilirating and excruciating experience! We have named baby Isabella (Bella for short).
I'm a east side mummy too, and attend Queen of Peace. Yes a gathering is good...although I'm in confinement now...Really can't wait for it to end...
Can advice on how to arrange for baptism? And at what age?

hi Mellyjong, congrats.. I know what you mean by exhilarating. and excruciating..my daughter was born a little longer n heavier than Bella by assisted delivery. I had to sit on a round tube for almost 3 weeks.
For baptism you can go to the church's office to pick up a form and ask when is the next baptism. For Holy Family, we needed to submit copies of our wedding cert, church wedding cert and god parent's confirmation cert. My girl will get baptised next mth. she'll be 5 mths by then
happy.gif

congrats! MellyJong
happy.gif

Good that u have a happy birthing experience
happy.gif

I'd suggest baptism when she can lift her head up so that photo takings will be nice.. haha
4-5mths will be good gauge.

Hi Adeline, lo was born 15th May.
For anyone looking for baptism gown (the really long gown) can check out Katong Catholic Bookstore / Novena church's book shop / Franciscan Missionaries of Mary @ 49c Holland Road. *Note it's not the old fashion type with lace etc. Just a simple satin or cotton drap over long dress. But the one from Franciscan Missionaries of Mary is made by the sisters there.

I bought Alyssa's christening gown from http://www.christeninggowns.com/ they have really cute dresses and accesories. I am keeping the gown as a new family tradition to be pass on and worn for baptism thru the generation.
happy.gif

Yes lets do a meet-up since most of us are from the east.

Where abts do you all live? Then can plan for somewhere centralized.

Hi everyone, Christmas is almost here. I wish everyone a blessed Christmas and joy with your family in the new year. How about meeting up in Jan?

Back