Catholic moms / moms to be

Maryanne, I'm supposed to be due mid may, but I think it will be soon. Having back and tummy aches already and she's facing down already. I think the Internet and this forum will help keep my sanity during the confinement. I can't stand being cooped up and will definitely need a lot of advice.. This is our first bby, so lots of trial and error I think.
happy.gif

For you to space the kids about a year and a half apart, did you have to stop breast feeding?

@ rx: i was just abt to ask for recommendations for cloth diapers! thanks
happy.gif
i feel that they are more "skin-friendly" than disposables.

@1Bean: ya i was really bored during confinement. that was when i started surfing forums and doing internet shopping. haha. it's coming soon!

my baby just "graduated" from NICU.. she just moved over to special care nursery
happy.gif

Maryanne, are you a robinson member? There's a card member's preview on 1-3 May. Can go check it out. Usually I'll stock up on the Avent teats and Pigeon stuff during the sale.

I have 2 1/2 yr old twins and a 6 month old girl. Also a working mom and really enjoy working. Cant see myself at home looking after them 24/7. Hubby also a non catholic and I guess due to that and with kids that are young, i've stopped going to church. However, I've began feeling guilty and would like to come back to my faith and to introduce the Catholic faith in my kids. Hubby don't mind. Any suggestions how to start?

@sunkissed: you're welcome
happy.gif
do note the shipping from the site i posted will take 2-4 weeks though. i am still looking around. since got pple interested i will update if i find anything else :D
gmarket also has some cheap ones, just search for "cloth diapers" if you wanna try one or two for a start.
i think i will start with the simple napkins and use liners since baby poo is quite a mess at the beginning. they're easier to open up and wash. maybe i will use the modern ones at night later.

@sophia, maybe for a start i guess can try a very simple prayer before meals with your twins... or get hold of some simple bible storybooks to read to them? maybe others here will have better suggestions
happy.gif

@ Sophia - I saw this in the Catholic News, it might be good. There's a talk on Tues 1st May, 2012 @ Church of Holy Spirit by Sr Florence Wong. The Pursuit of Happiness - Finding True Joy in Catholic Motherhood from 8:45am - 1:00pm. Contact Pamela at 92713335 for more info and to register.

@ sunkissed - Congratulations!! So happy for you and your family and the little one is one tough lady!!
happy.gif

o mummies, any recommendations as to where to get nursing bra and nursing tops? I've tried kiddy palace, mothercare, marks and spencers, medela, isetan etc but can't find comfortable ones.

@1Bean: My period came back about 6 months after giving birth... so i thot better stop breastfeeding, in case get pregs again. I heard it's not good to breastfeed and be pregs, cos body is confused about which baby the nutrients should go to...

Re. nursing bra - i tried different brands online, but all no good. In the end, was happy with Mothercare (expensive) and Spring Maternity (much cheaper). Padded, no wire and clip off kind.

@sunkissed: yay on good news!! keep us updated on Kyra's progress
happy.gif

@ Sophia: Thanks for robinsons dates. I suppose anytime after that, the discounts will be on too... I don't really have tips on how to get back to church. I suppose just attending mass, at least can keep in touch (abit) with our religious side, and also set a routine for the family to get them in the mindset for future. Go for a mass time that is comfortable for you, when all the kids are clean and fed. and bring enough help, e.g. husband + helper or parents, since you have so many kids to manage! Go early to get seat and sit at a place where easy to get out if the kid fusses. How about Catholic kindergarten?? I am thinking of that too...

thanks ladies for the suggestions.
actually there are very few catholic kindergartens around. All the more one that can be near our house.
Attending Mass: yah, must force myself to bring at least one of them with me for mass. At least expose them to what's happening during mass.
Anyone attends the church at AMK- Christ the King church?

@ Sophia, I usually attend Holy Spirit church and they have a "cry room" - sound proof room for families with not so quiet kids..
happy.gif
but in my opinion its better to get children join the main congregation so that they can observe how people should behave and get used to it. I've notice kids play and make noise in the 'cry room'and other kids just 'join in the fun'.. I guess some parents are ok with the children behaving that way because they think they are not disturbing the main congregation cause the room is sound proof. As Maryanne recommended, have a routine, fed, not hyped up etc before mass and also explain parts of the mass before mass, so then you don't have to talk so much during mass.. Explain that when the mass starts - ring of the bel, everyone participates in the celebration.. Have the kid sing and follow the mass from the missal ( good way to introducing reading too) etc. Best way to lead is by example and patience.

@1Bean: i thought mothercare bras were not bad.. they were the first ones i bought cos i totally wasn't ready. i bought 1 from the BP section of this forum. autumnz brand.. should be a malaysian brand. it's really qt comfy
happy.gif
$20+ only. the sleep bras are really comfy though esp when you're breastfeeding and need to wear a bra all the time.

this is the seller i bought from:
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/6687684.html?1335545505

there are a few sellers selling the same brands so just shop around
happy.gif

ya i agree with bringing kids to church from young and integrating them into the congregation. i realised the baby room ends up being a noisy room for kids to play in =/ maybe can introduce once the kids are old enough to understand and able to take instructions.

Thanks sunkissed. I just went to spring maternity and bought one for the hospital stay and will see how it goes, cause I've been told that the breast size will change when I start BF.

Meantime, has anyone tried the confinement food from new baby.com.sg or any of the catering ones?

Hi Sunkissed, she's still in the tummy.. Must be cosy in there cause she was in position 2 weeks already, but yet to come out. I'll be at 40 weeks next week..so still waiting. How are you and Kyra doing?

Hi Adeline, wah long time no post.
happy.gif
How's it going for you?
So far I do get some pelvic pains at night or when I get up from lying down (naps in the afternoon). Maybe because of the change in position? But other than some constipation, indigestion, swollen legs, there's nothing much. Except when she moves into certain position then it sort of immobilizes me for some strange reason. I had a crampy feeling one morning, but after putting a hot pack on the back for a few hours it went away. So now just waiting and the crazy weather is not helping.. so hot and humid. I do hope that sitting under the blasting fan or air con room won't have a negative effect on the delivery..

MellyJong - Thanks. When are you due? do you want me to ask my confinement lady if she is available or if she knows of someone who is available? Do you have a preference of where they are from and what they do?

@1Bean: so excited for you!!
happy.gif
bb too comfy in the womb. hehe.. my younger bro also didn't want to come out even after my mum's cervix opened for nearly a day. so gynae said have to do c-section. your gynae didn't mention anything about inducing?

@sunkissed - Nope. Gyn didn't suggest anything yet. But he did ask if I would prefer natural or Csection before.. and I said natural. Maybe she's waiting for the aircon to be installed in our place (this sat) before she comes out. I sometimes talk to her and tell her that she should come out soon but when she makes me really uncomfortable I "scold" by saying she bullying me.. and my mum said maybe that's why she don't want to come out.. haha..

@ Sunkissed. Thanks for sharing the link. Very inspirational. Congrats on Kayla's progress.. Keep posting her progress so we know how is she doing.

@Sophia : I have a pair of twin girls who are 22 months now!! My hats off to you that, taking care of another 6 mth old. I've thought about it but really don't think I can handle one more.

My hubby was non-catholic but was baptised shortly after the girls were born. It would be good if you can bring them to mass, at least let them have a feel of it. I personally think best not to be in the cry room. I sometimes bring the girls to church with only the helper and it can be really really tough. But they pick up on things like doing the sign of the cross, saying amen, the songs, etc. Which you can then continue with bedtime prayers at home.

@mellyjong: happened to chance upon your post on the breastfeeding thread! have you bought your breast pump and related items alr?

thanks marisa for the tip. well didn't plan to have no. 3 actually as my twins are ivf kids, so I thought i would not be able to conceive naturally. My girl is really a gift from God and really came as a surprise. At first I was also worried about being able to cope..... but when faced with the challenge, and with God's help, everything will be ok.
happy.gif

Hi 1Bean,
My EDD is sept 11. Not particular abt confinement nanny, just as long as it is recommended! Read too many stories abt bad ones....

Hi Sunkissed,
Not bought anything yet, waiting for GSS to start
happy.gif

But I've narrowed my choices to Advent brand, electric breast pump, sterilizer set, warmer, newborn milk bottles (advanced gold).

1Bean: Hi Hi!! Been super busy with work!
My pelvic pains seem to have disappeared i think it was just an issue of my ligaments being expanded, i guess.
happy.gif

Now my tummy is just heavy at the bottom as her head position is there.

MellyJong: For the items that you have narrowed down to buy,Takashimaya Baby Fair has the best deal for Avent Sterilizer & Warmer set(which is the set we bought from the earlier fair).
Do note to get the sets on the first day of the fair as it tends to run out of stock and waiting time may be long for them to replenish the stock or either they might miss your orders due to the overwhelming orders.
If you have a Taka credit card that would be better as you would be able to collect the points(rebates) from your purchases and then subsequently convert them into Taka shopping vouchers for other future baby items you wish to buy.

If i knew earlier that you are looking for a confinement nanny i would have recommended mine to you, I have not personally had her before as i am only delivering next month however she is highly recommended but she is already fully booked till Dec/Jan.

Sunkissed: Its great that Kyra is doing very well, she probably takes after you!! You both are truly blessed. Keep us updated on her progress. God bless!

@MellyJong: I just saw a super good deal at the shop inside Thomson Medical Centre yesterday! Breast pump (double electric) + steriliser + some assorted bottles + lots of other goodies = $600+ instead of $1200. I thought it was a Avent promo available at other places, but not sure.

@1Bean: When is EDD and when are you planning to stop work? I am thinking of stopping 3 weeks before EDD... My pelvic(?) has been feeling abit creaky and stuck. weird feeling. is that the same as pelvic pain?

Hi Adeline,
I've missed the Taka baby fair in March...will there be another one?
No worries abt the conf nanny...will keep looking...

Hi Maryanne,
Thanks for the heads up!
happy.gif

MellyJong: I heard there willbe another Taka Baby fair but i do not have details on that. Perhaps you would like to call and check with Taka nursery department.

Maryanne: Wow, when is your EDD? Have you been doing any pelvic exercises or have you gone swimming? It helps a lot. Probably needs to loosen it up. I had pelvic pain for about a week plus but its all fine now.
happy.gif

Wow envy that you can go for your leave 3 weeks before your EDD!
happy.gif

Hi All, bby came out on 15th May Am now in Mt A recuperating. All is well with little one. She was delivered with a vacuum assistance. Thank God for epidural. I tried to be gangho but failed terribly. Will post more when I'm discharged and home after Fri. So far it's been a learning process but i'm greatful to God's grace and mercy.

Congrats 1Bean!!
happy.gif
Do update us about the delivery.

I went to the last baby fair at expo and I was disappointed! There were so few stores. I think the Taka baby fair was much better. Baby fairs are the best time to get big items cos of the discounts and bundled packages!!

@Mellyjong: I just found out about Ameda breast pump. Seems like it's the only one that has a closed system and prevents back flow of milk, hence more hygienic. You may want to check it out at mumsfairy.com
happy.gif
I personally am using Medela Swing but I really wished I had bought a double electric pump since I'm pumping exclusively!

@Adeline: Kyra is dong well
happy.gif
Back on milk feeds after stopping them for a week plus due to infection.

1Bean: Congrats!! Rest up now and keep us posted. Well done!!

Who's next to pop??
happy.gif

Sunkissed: Great news! You take care of your health as well.

Taka Fair
I found out it might be somewhere in September.

Motherhood Fair
Can try and scout for deals if any at the motherhood fair which is happening end of May.

@mellyjong- do you want me to ask my confinement lady of she's available for you? She's Chinese speaking but am quite happy with her so far. She covers all meals, chores, care for mum and baby. I'm using the advent breast pump and it's not working that well in my opinion. My boobs are still full and it doesnt drain it completely and there's alot of bubbles.
To all mums. This is a really interesting experience and I really thank God and have so much respect for all mothers, especially those who has to go through it without epidural and modern medicine. It HURTS!! Anyways, the little one is definetly makes it all worthwhile. Even hubby gets soft just looking at her.

Congrats 1Bean!!
happy.gif

I can't wait. Another 2 more months... But feel quite comfy being in a pregnant state. Not sure I'm ready for the whole newborn madness again!

Hi 1Bean,
Congrats! Happy 4 u! Now u can experience the joy of being a mother! Yes pls ask you CL if she is available in Sept, but I'm not surprised if she is already booked...
Is your Advent pump an electric one?

Hi Sunkissed,
I'll check out Ameda, thx! Heard that Mendela is recommended by hospitals, but must use electric one, not manual.

Hi Maryanne,
Are you next to pop? Your EDD is July?

Yup I realised Medela pumps seem to be preferred but Avent brand for every other thing is used by most mummies here. KKH uses Medela also and it was recommended by the LC so I went with it. I will definitely get a double electric pump for next baby!!

Thanks everyone. Oh yes if you are delivering at Mt A don't forget to ask for a presentation before you leave. The sister will present your family and the new born to the Lord and the prayer offered is beautiful.
@ mellyjong- yup mine is a electric and manual pump. It's really terrible.
I just checked with the confinement lady and she's booked for sept but her sister also does confinement so you want me to ask her? FYI they are from Indonesia and so it's cheaper. The arrangement is to call them when you are being discharged and they will take a ferry over then you can either pick her up from harbourfront or ask her to take a taxi to your place then give a 'ang pow' for the fare.
At mum's what's the fastest way for down there to heal? My piles also hurts, so it hurts to sit and move.
@maryanne. - I think it's a wonderful thing to have new additions to the family. It really reminds us of how great He is

MellyJong: Are you With Dr Chan KH as well?
happy.gif
I saw your posting there.

How many weeks are you and whens your edd?

Hi Adeline,
Yes I am with Dr Chan KH! I am now 24wks & EDD early Sept.
What abt you? Maybe we can see each other in the clinic!
happy.gif

MellyJong: I am in my 35week tomorrow & EDD mid June. We might but my visits are now weekly and if i reach full term its only abt another 4 visits.

I noticed you mentioned your package is $1600?? What package is that?

@ mellyjong- I check with my confinement lady, her sister is available. Can you give me your contact and I'll give you the contact information.

All the best to all your deliveries.

hi Adeline,
my last visit to Dr Chan's clinic in early may, the nurse informed me abt the clinic package - 1 time payment of $1600 which covers all my future visits till delivery including multivitamins.
delivery charges not included.

Hi 1Bean,
will pm u my contact details. Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Mellyjong, sorry, I've changed the settings and have emailed you. Let me know of you didn't get the email.

@'mums, how do you avoid nipple confusion? Am thinking if I should express some but am worried about nipple confusion and rejection of the breast.

@1Bean: that's what i'm worried about too! or some may even reject bottle if they're too used to breast. been asking around but no clear answer.

some tips i've gotten or read online:

1) use a teat that simulates the breast e.g. wide and slow flow. got a few that i've found - medela's calma teat, doctor brown's. think there's one more born free or something.

2) do not introduce bottle too late. apparently 6-8 weeks is best so that they don't get too used to breast and reject bottle.

however, some babies are not fussy and can switch between without problem so i guess to each his own..

Hi Adeline,
No I'm not expecting twins...why? Am I paying more?? What were you charged?

Hi 1Bean,
Yes I got your email. Thx a lot! Will call your contact this week.
Was at Mothercare & the nursery advisor suggested using Tommy Tippee as the teat shape is most identical to nipple...
On a different note, a friend of mine breastfed her daughter exclusively for 6months so when she introduced the bottle, her baby rejected... So now her baby is 9mths, and she is still breastfeeding (but weaning off as introducing puree foods as well). So I guess introducing early is a good move?

Hi sunkissed,
I saw the Ameda pump at Robinsons - its really expensive! Now I'm confused...Avent, Medela or Ameda?

FYI bookfairs now on : Popular at Singapore Expo Hall 6A & Singapore Book Fair at Suntec Hall 401 (level 4). Many children's books, some up to 40% off or buy 2 get 1 free deals...

@mellyjong: actually i'm also contemplating buying a double electric pump but thinking whether it's pointless as my baby will be discharged in the upcoming weeks and i can latch her on. there are some sellers who order it direct from US so it's cheaper but without warranty. it's a gamble i guess? what you can do is try renting pumps to test the suction. i think the breastfeeding mothers group allows you to test on your thigh area. read reviews on the pumps too..

what i've read so far is that medela's suction power is stronger seems like its products are more lasting. ameda can adjust up to 32 configurations on speed and suction power. and it's a closed system hence more hygienic. maybe can ask users of ameda on the forum how it's like? most ppl use medela so easy to get opinions.

i'm personally leaning towards medela freestyle cos it's more compact but i heard reviews that PISA has better suction power but then again too strong also painful for your breast. haha. so confusing right!

anyway you must also consider how long and frequent you think you'll be using it. OR you can just shortlist the pump then get it after you have problems latching your baby on cos i've heard cases where the mums realise they don't need it as they have little milk so hand-expressing is easier.

saw these few sellers:

http://megababystore.wordpress.com/
http://babyswonderful.blogspot.com/p/pre-order.html

you can check out the bulk purchase or spree sections of this forum also
happy.gif

Back