Catholic moms / moms to be

1bean,
I don't think they'll inform before discarding.. But if accepted, they'll do follow up calls to check on health of mummy n baby..

My hb also non catholic. Our boy is taught to pray b4 bedtime and almost every weekend we'll go church.
My parents r very church goers. so he'll follow them most of the time. My hb respects my religion so he goes along. My MIL doesn't have altar at home cause she's the lazy type but she'll do the usual praying. I won't let my boy get involved.
I guess this is something i won't give in bah.. My son don't go temple. When we go with MIL to temple, my boy n I will sit in the coffeeshop n wait for hb & MIL to be done praying.

@1Bean: My mum has 4 kids - 2 boys 2 girls. I was hoping for 4 also like her. But after this premature birth, I'm a little apprehensive. Maybe try for another in 3 years' time and see if all goes well. If everything is fine, then can try for the next
happy.gif
But right now, everything has to be focused on Kyra first.

@petrina: My FIL also very into fengshui.. even my bb's Chinese name was given based on fengshui =/

Hi ariadne,

From what I heard, fren's brother and sister-in-law were Catholics but not regular church goers and did not marry in Catholic Church.
When they wanted to get their kid baptised, they actually 'got married' again in a church wedding ceremony first.

But I think it's a different case if you converted after getting married.

hi all mummies,

this is my #1
happy.gif
edd Sept.. hubby is a non-catholic, but we did a pre-nup agreement and bb has to be baptise.
anyone staying in the west, attend mass at St.Mary or Church of St. Francis of Assisi?

Hi chew, welcome. Congrats on your pregnancy. Sorry I'm in the east.
@ sunkissed. You are right about taking things 1 step at a time. But for me age is a factor. So we plan to have at least 2 and that means have to start "working" on bby making about a year after our first who is due soon.
@ mums- what were your labour signs? I've been gettin tight tummy lately (24hrs) and feels like my period is coming (something needs to come out).

hi everyone!

@sunkissed - i've been following your posts and want to say hello
happy.gif
i'm at 24 weeks now and have been putting myself in your shoes. happy that you sound so cheerful now. it's impt for baby to have happy mama. stay strong and keep your faith in God. i go to church every week, but not so "holy" these few years... this is an inspiration for me. i want to have 4 kids too! My first 2 are going to be 18 months apart. I thought of taking a break after this, tired of being preggie, but age is a factor for me too... so mebbe no break. will think abt it after my girl is born
happy.gif
my boy's chinese name is also based on feng shui, but i don't mind. i have no ideas anyway, so just use it as a reference point. makes for a good story later too.

@1Bean - no labour signs! but i think you will get paranoid near the EDD and treat everything like a sign. haha. my water bag broke 2 weeks early as i was getting ready for bed. i think nowadays, mummies are usually about 2 weeks early i.e. 38 weeks.

i'm going to BKK for holiday this weekend with a girlfriend! hope will be comfy and then can enjoy!

Hi maryanne, I'm 27 weeks now and expecting third child! . Your EDD should be in july?
I joined the july mummies forum and we have a number of catholic mums there too.

Wanted to have 4 kids too but i doubt i can handle a fourth preg.. My blood count n calcium levels are on low side already. Three is a gd number now. My kids names are long! Cristiano Julius (#1), Alyssa Louise (#2) and Alejandro Jonas (#3)

@Maryanne: Hello!
happy.gif
I used to be rather involved in church too but recently only just go for mass. My mum actually got married early so our age gaps are spaced out like 4 years that kind. Your husband is non-catholic too? And wow.. BKK!! Enjoy yourself
happy.gif
but don't tire yourself out!

@1Bean: Are you excited? It's like mid-April already!

@all those who are pregnant: How is your pregnancy coming along?? Hope you ladies are doing good! I'm supposed to be pregnant now
sad.gif
but maybe God has something else in mind for me..

@ Maryanne- I think you are right about getting more paranoid as I get closer. When I don't feel her move I get worried too and try to get her moving. Doc has me counting her movements and she's really not a 'routine' type from what I can tell. Oh wells, I guess I'll just have to tell myself it's all in His time.
@sunkissed- I think I'm more nervous then excited. But I am enjoying the experience, I think the part about women being cursed with the pains of bearing a child because of Eve will be true when when the going gets tough but I must say that there's goodness in the process too.
happy.gif
I'm with you in regards to God's plan even though your bby is out early. Your positive attitude, patience and faith serves as an inspiration to us.
@ mums- any suggestions on dealing with swollen feet? I've tried elevating them, soaking in warm water, massaging my feet to get the blood moving but they are still swollen and uncomfortable that hubby says they are troll feet
sad.gif

@jas- how did you come up with the names? Hubby and I haven't been able to agree on any. For the Chinese name, FIL is having his brother identify some characters based on the 'elements', number of strokes etc.

I'm into my 29 weeks and this is my 3rd child too. Getting very tired easily nowadays compared to the previous 2 pregnancies. But I guess age matters too. LOL! Plus the fact that I have to manage the 2 little monsters who are 3.5 and slightly past 2 after work.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

At Elvera,does it get 'boring' now that it's the3rd pregnancy? I think having 3 kids will be fun but I doubt we can financially afford it. All the best with the pregnancy

@Rx wow..nice number! 0707! and nice to find someone who goes to smota! got married there last year..beautiful church, great priest! =P is your hubby a catholic too?

hi all,
i'm still at 18 weeks, after brush teeth will come out acid reflux, evening ard 5.30pm will start to feeling nauseous..this is my first pregnancy and being pregnant is really not easy!ever since i'm pregnant, i got backaches and felt that i'm so so weak..
how do you all manage your 3rd/4th pregnancy? my mum gave birth to 7, and i'm gonna stop at 2!

Hi everyone... its been a while since i last came in here...

@sunkissed - keep up the good work!! you and ur baby are strong and now that she is home, am sure she will grow faster under ur loving care. Will keep you and baby in my prayers.

My EDD is next week...and gynae advise C-sect instead... is there any diet / fd restrictions to be refrain during the confinment? any idea where to buy the binder (beside guardian)?

To all april mummies who have not pop, jia you!!

@ Larson, what type of binder are you looking for, I've seen some at kiddy palace and some other places.
@chew- I had similar issue with you nausea, puke when brushing teeth and backaches in the earlier part of my pregnancy, ( I'm now at 35 weeks and expecting our first, so everything is new to me too). Good news is it will go away, so hang in there. It gets more interesting especially when bby starts moving.

@chew: My MS only went away after some time. I also couldn't keep my food down in the night esp certain types of food like fruits and vegetables. Strangely, hor fun is one dish that I will definitely puke out. Yup hang in there, it will just disappear suddenly without you realising it
happy.gif
It'll get better in second trimester..

@Larson: oops think there was a miscomm, my baby is still in hospital. Now she's 965g, going to reach 1kg soon!!
happy.gif
still some time to go though. Anyway congrats, update us when you pop! So exciting! I got my binder at the KKH pharmacy cos it was a last minute thing. Didn't really use it though :p was too lazy and it was very warm to wear. Saw some being sold online also. Hmmm.. do you have a confinement lady to take care of you? I only know "cooling" stuff, liver, seafood, duck, mutton must be avoided.

Wow i havent visited this post and there are more memebers now.
happy.gif

Sunkissed:Thanks for sharing,hows Kyra doing now?
How have you been as well? You are truly blessed to be strong for yourself and Kyra. Kyra is blessed to have a mum like you.

Baptism
It is not necessary for the parents to be married in the church then only the children can be baptised. As long as one of the parent is a catholic the child can be baptised with a godparent being a catholic as well. As my god-daughter is baptised but both her parents did not go through a church wedding/mass.

Cord Blood Banking
I have signed up a 10yr plan to bank my baby girls cord with Cordlife.
They have a 10yr and 21yr plan, we chose the 10yr plan as we did not want to be locked down to a 21 yr as we had the option later to extend if need be before she turns 6yrs old. That would give us the flexibility to use the CDA cash for other necessity. Cord blood banking can be fully paid by your CDA acc.
If anyone is interested there is a referral programme where both parties will received a $50 voucher,do let me know as i can do the referral. The referral fee is additional on top of the shopping vouchers you will get when you sign up with them.
Do PM me.
happy.gif

@ Larson, will you have a confinement lady helping you? So far i'vebeen told to take hot (temperature wise) food, things with lots of pepper, ginger and old black vinger and sesame oil during confinement.

If I can afford, i'll love to have more kids
happy.gif

Kinds like M&M chocolates.. hahah
once you start, you can't stop..
Being pregnant is the best feeling ever. I think i'm one of the weird ones who love everything natural. from being pregnant - breastfeeding - child rearing..

Sophia: go to your church, check out the baptism dates and register your child with bc & marriage cert and your baptism cert.

Hey has anyone delivered at Mt A before? Do I need to pack maternity pad? Also will they provide a swaddle cloth when the bby leaves?

Hi mummies & MTBs,
I'm a first time MTB, in 20th week & edd in sept 2012. Hubby is non-catholic, but we attended EE weekend & got married in church. Now hubby is attending RCIA.
So far everything is ok, but we havent bought a single baby item yet! So advice on strollers, cots, carriers, toys, confinement lady & massage lady are welcome!
happy.gif

@mellyjong, congrats and welcome!!
As for what to get, you still have time, so take your time to shop around and at 20 weeks it's still easy to move around so do check prices and compare products. Not sure if you and hubby are ok with 2nd hand things, but there are somethings you can get from friends who had babies recently and see what they can't use anymore. I'm having my first in a few weeks time and only had to buy essentials like bottle sterilizers, bottles, breast pump, wet wipes, cleaning detergents, cot matress etc. Other items ie clothes, socks mittens, sling carrier, diapers etc. were from other mums who had babies recently or those who have " closed shop" and either their bby outgrew or don't like using so they can't use it. This really helps to save a lot of money.
Strollers you can check out and see which style, weight, closing method etc you like, but wait till after baby comes then get it unless you are getting one of those with car seat cause you have a car. Some of the mum's I met regretted getting the stroller before bby came cause they found that either the bby doesn't like being in it or the one they bought didn't meet their needs so they either end up not using it or having to get another one.
What I did, I started window shopping around for things that i think i would need between 4 mths to 6 mths, then around my 7th mth then I started the gathering items that friends were passing to me then buying the missing essentials, by my 8th mth I got most of major items and this was in time before it got harder to move around for extended time and got to rest more. While window shopping I realized that there are somethings that I thought "I need to get before bby comes" but in reality can "wait and see after baby comes" or vice versa. I hope this helped.

Hi 1Bean,
Wow, thank you for your advice! I'm so glad I joined this forum. All the baby stuff are so expensive! Its good to pace yourself & not buy everything at 1 go & burn a big hole in the pocket! So far I have only been window shopping to see what is out there...but the selection can be pretty confusing! But slowly thru friend's recommendation & forums, I'm narrowing down my choices.
So when are you due??
happy.gif

Adeline: I am keen to do cord blood banking. But not sure the difference between Cordlife & Stemcord...Heard can be pretty expensive like 5k etc? Would like to join the referral program...

@ MellyJong. My official EDD is 15th May, but dr says it will be earlier and my TCM doc is estimating sometime between this 2 wks.
I think you should also consider donating the cord blood too because most of the illnesses that the stem cord blood is used for are hereditary, this means that the stem cord already lacks or contains the thing that causes the condition, so usually you'd have to use someone else's stem cells that matches and does not have the condition. BUT donating it doesn't mean that the blood will be stored because it has to go through and pass a lot of tests first. If you pay to bank, they will store it regardless of condition of the blood.

Melly Jong: I am a first time MTB as well, am in my 31st week now!
happy.gif

It has been a fun journey thus far,like what 1Bean mentioned best to window shop and find the best deals in town which is what we did.
We started buying items slowly from the time we found out the gender of our baby, we had a list of items we needed immediately when the baby is born and a list that we set up for relatives and friends to buy for us during our lil girl baptism/full month celebration.

That way we cut down on our expenditure and not receive items that we do not need.
It is expensive but there are always great deals out there,you and hubby just have to work together and search for it. During that time you both get to bond and learn a lot together.
happy.gif

The first thing i did was book my confinement lady!! Very important if you intend to engage one as it is also the dragon year the good ones are taken up early. I book my CL on my 2nd month and she was already booked but due to unforseen circumstances with the other mother who cancelled, i manage to get her.

Robinsons & Takashimaya has good bundle deals and purchase with purchase deals.
Try and get a Robinsons or Taka credit card as its very good for nursery,kids and household items for future.

Baby Hyperstore has good deals on carseats and strollers.We only got our carseat and ISO fix from there.We bought our stroller from Motherworks at Great World City.

A lot of other items you can research online or speak to friends for recommendation.

For us the big ticket items were carseat + ISO fix,stroller,Medela electric breast pumps,Bloom baby cot and sterilizer + bottle warmer set.

Yes do try to get your items before you hit your last trimester as it might be difficult for you to move around depending on your condition.
happy.gif

Note:Do not buy too many baby clothings as they will outgrow it very fast, as advised by my friends, so i have minimal clothings for my girl as i intend to bring her out shopping after a month of confinement! Hahaha.....

Do book for your post natal massages, you can either find them through recommendation from your friends,forums,free-lance or with an establishment. I chose Jamu Massages as i did not hear good feedback of freelance masseur. Just to share,but do find a reliable one which will not cancel or back out on you last minute.

Regarding the cord blood banking,we decided on cordlife due to the fact that they are accredited,more established and they are able to extract more blood cells then Stemcord according to proven researches. We took the 10yr plan which is fully paid by CDA,it can be expensive but my hubby and i agreed upon it as we do not want to be ever caught in a situation where it becomes a "what if", if you get what i mean. Life nowadays is so precious itself and with the fast moving technology in this world anything can be possible. Of course we do not wish for anything bad to happen but it is always that sense of security there for us. It is a very personal decision in terms of cord blood banking as some people do not believe in it at all, to us we see it as an investment.
If you would like to join the referral program i will PM you my IC no, do let me know if you are keen as the promo ends 30th Apr for both to get the $50 voucher.

Happy Shopping and have a great journey into motherhood, i know i am enjoying every bit of it!
happy.gif

1Bean: It is the same for private cord blood banking as well, your blood cells will go through tests and it has to be certified that it is in good condition before they are allowed to bank it or else it will deem as void and they will inform you after the tests is completed.

It is all stated on the contract that i signed and was briefed by the agent.

Hi 1Bean,
Wow you must be so excited!!! Wishing you a smooth & easy labour & delivery. Pls keep in touch!

Hi Adeline,
Thank you for so much info! I think I better start looking for confinement lady cos as you said Dragon year & I'm due Sept! Also I'll start window shopping this weekend!
So your edd will be June? Gosh I haven't even thought about baby baptism yet...Is it done at 1 month?
Your stroller from Motherworks - is it a Bugaboo?

Hi 1Bean,

Having the 3rd one isn't really that 'boring' just that the 1st time excitement isn't really there... For instance, by this time we had already gotten a name and the baptism name for my 1st one and 2nd one (as 2nd one is a girl). But we have not finalised any name for baby no.3. And by now, I tend to be 'more slacked' on the things I do or eat. For the 1st one, I was very 'guai', refrained from many many foods and activities...never even touch packet drinks.

hmmm I wonder if larson has popped? so exciting.. then next will be 1Bean
happy.gif

Update: Kyra has reached 1kg last Sunday. And she is now breathing on her own!! So happy for her
happy.gif

I also haven't gotten my baby stuff yet! My MIL's friend passed us a baby cot and a rocker. I got my stroller + car seat from OG at $199. Mamalove brand. The deal is unbelievably good so I'm hoping the products can last.. I'll probably be getting hand-me-downs for clothes. Anyone got cloth diapers here? I'm wondering which brand to get.

I noticed that A LOT of parents use Quinny brand but it's so ex =/

Adeline, if the blood test fails, will they refund you. What do they define as good condition?

Sunkissed, so happy for you and kyra! Praise the Lord. May He continue to protect you and your family and bless kyra with good health.

elvera- how many kids do you plan to have? Or are you leaving it up to Him? I'm so terrible, expecting my first and did a lot of "don't" ie ice cream, seafood, ice or cold drinks, coffee.. Etc. Some of it was the cravings that I got.. *trying desperately to justify myself here*
Mellyjong- Adeline is right about getting the cards, Isetan allows you to redeem vouchers too, so after getting the must buys, you'll might have enough to get vouchers to help pay the expendables ie wipes etc. I've been "saving up" receipts at spring maternity so that can get their discount cards, but most of the big items have been bought, I might be able to pass them on later, so will most likely post it up here if i do want to pass it on. Meantime, you can ask around on who has what discount cards and share.. So like my friend has mothercare, I have kiddy palace, baby baby (came free when we bought our vacuum cleaner) and now collecting spring maternity. So we see where has more discount and help each other to get the stuff or use each other's "member number"
happy.gif

1Bean: Good condition as free from disease and it is healthy to be stored. There will not be any charges incurred upon signing of the contract as payment will only start after tests has been done and fit to be stored.

However if the cord blood is unable to be stored, they will inform you and the only payment you need to do is the admin fee which is a minimal cost.

I believe it would be best for you to speak to an agent to get a clearer picture. There is a baby fair this comnig Friday on the 27th April.
I will post up details on this forum shortly.
happy.gif

MellyJong: There is currently a Warehouse Sale at this place you can check it out,note today is the las day. Do check on the closing times as well:-

http://www.babystudio.com.sg/

I was there last night to buy my rocker as it is a newly launch rocker from Tiny Love and we loved it.

My EDD is 25 Jun.

Baptism
It is not necessary to do it within a month however i prefer to celebrate her baptism and full month together which will definately cut the costs for me. Also i was baptised ard 1 months old.
You can do it anytime,up to your preference.
happy.gif

Stroller
Yes we got a Bugaboo Bee Plus but we have not received it yet due to the warranty, as we want the warranty to start after a month of her birth as she wont be using it when we are both in confinement, so in a way stretching our dollar in warranty sense.
happy.gif

3 Upcoming Fairs to share:-

Baby Expo 2012
Dates: 27 to 29 Apr 2012
Time: (Fri & Sat) 11a.m. to 9p.m., (Sun) 11a.m. to 8p.m.
Venue: Singapore Expo Hall 5A
Organiser: Vivacious Media Pte Ltd

Baby Baby Exhibition 2012
Dates: 4 to 6 May 2012
Time: 11a.m. to 9p.m.
Venue: Suntec Singapore Hall 401
Organiser: Sphere Exhibits
https://www.facebook.com/babybabysingapore

Motherhood Fair
Dates: 31 May to 3 Jun 2012
Time: 11am-9pm
Venue: Singapore Expo Hall 5B
Organiser: Motherhood Magazine
www.motherhood.com.sg

sad.gif
saw the post on the warehouse sale too late. wasted..

shall go to the fair next weekend to shop around then!

@1Bean: thanks! she's doing very well now
happy.gif
really really glad. How's your pregnancy moving along? It's going to be May next week!!

Sunkissed, so far so good for me,but low energy level n swollen feet is not fun. As much as I'm excited for the little one to arrive, the delivery n confinement is something I'm not looking forward to.
It was cute when the kids from my cat class were told that I'll be having my baby soon. They were like " really?! the baby is coming out?!, is it a boy or girl?" The boys were disappointed that it's a girl... "har...more girls??" (we have about 3 girls to 1 boy in the class). The kids are so adorable.

1Bean: I only wanted 2 initially. But my hubby love kids and he managed to persuade me to have at least 3. And I think that's it...I'm not prepared to go through anymore...Age is catching up! I'm not confident if I can manage anymore pregnancies...and it's so costly... Haha, I do get all those cravings too!! U r not alone!

haha... hi all... never come in for a while and the thread has jumped :D

@chew: i got married in smota in 2010 and have been attending mass here ever since. yes my hubby is catholic too...
happy.gif
you?

my hubby's mum is a convert and his dad non-catholic. this seems to have caused some differences in mindset btw us and my in-laws. recently they expressed concern that i am going to be stay-at-home mum, unlike my MIL who continued working. main reason: finances. they are trying to get me to go to work while they retire and look after baby... but i cannot bear to leave baby behind so young!
sad.gif
i hope to stick by my decision, which my hubby supports
happy.gif

this is my 1st pregnancy. and i realised that though babies generate expenses, if everything goes well it depends on how costly you want it to be... with some research or friends who have things to pass on, some things can get cheaper/2nd hand. hoping to have 2 or 3 kids. see how after this boy first
happy.gif

@adeline, thanks for sharing about the baby fairs!

@sunkissed, your story is inspiring. you are strong!

@ rx, I took a break from work over a year ago to work on bby project,which I don't regret because we now have a little one who is almost here..( I had 2 mc ) but I'm conflicted like you.. financially we need me to work, but a big part of me thinks that the early years are important and we hope to have 1 more kid and I don't think I should wait too long to have a2nd one cause of age too.. For now, I'll take 1 step at a time and remind myself of the Sunday reading on my last week of work, ( i wasn't sure if I was making the right choice to resign). Mathew 6 24-36.
@ Elvera, are you a stay at home mum or working?

1Bean: I'm a working mum... Like many of you, I had intentions to be a stay at home mum when i found out I was expecting the 1st child. My hubby was also very supportive of it. However, my MIL kept saying I was still young and I should continue working. I wonder if she's just concerned that it will be hard on her son or she really meant it... So I gave myself some time to think about it. Just as I was going to make a decision, I found out I was preggie again when my boy was 6 months old. I reckon we are concerned about the future finances so I continue to work...During these 2-3 years, circumstances also changed as my hubby started his own business. So hopefully his business will take off and I can be a stay at home mum soon...

1Bean, thanks for sharing.

at first i was very worried when my MIL talked to me. she actually mentioned the same thing as Elvara's MIL
sad.gif
but after thinking abt it and deciding to be determined abt staying home to look aft baby, i felt peace... and i knew i had made the right decision
happy.gif

btw anyone going to do cloth diapering? after searching around on the web i found a pretty reliable and affordable bamboo diaper supplier from china: www.alvababy.com. will buy some from them in may. free shipping too! looked too good to be true but after doing some searches and finding reviews it has proven to be quite credible.

@ rx, I was thinking of using cloth diapers because its more environmentally friendly and I think it will be cheaper, BUT I don't think I can deal with so much washing. I'll have to see how it goes.

1Bean: Thanks!

rx: Really admire you ladies who are able to persevere and quit your job to be SAHM. I guess most MILs are like that. My SIL's MIL initially told her no need to work and just be a SAHM. But after that she changed her mind and hinted my SIL to go find a job!

I used cloth diapers aka nappies for both my boy and girl. Especially my girl who had sensitive skin. It really helps to 'air' their bottoms. But the nappies are those traditional white color types.

thanks to a colleague i went to toys r us fair @ united square during lunchtime. dangerous for pregnant women! so many pple and the things are messy...got some offers on strollers if anyone is interested. otherwise very few baby stuff.

1Bean - When are you due?? Should be anytime! Don't stress, just take it easy. Hope you will be as active on the forum after you deliver, altho bb is a full-time job! Re. nappies, I only used when my bb had a rash. Very hard leh... I think don't bother. I bought mothercare ones, but i think the size is abit small. But mebbe all standard size.

To other mummies with more kids - I wonder when it starts to get easier... I am a working mum too, and not that "sticky" to my child. I don't think I could stay at home all day. But I wanna have lots! and just outsource... haha.
Elvara and Jas - How far apart are your kids? Mine will be 1.5 years apart. I am a little tired of being preggie all the time, but wondering if I should just continue to have them close in age or take a break first. But am already 34, so that is also a consideration.

My kids names are Camper and Summer (will be born in July!). Very in theme. The dad is a hippy. Non-catholic too. I use the bb as an excuse to get him to come to church with me.

Bugaboo - I bought a second hand Bugaboo Cameleon from one of the forums. Second hand was still about $800.... but really like it. Very stable. Got some suspension thing. Will use it for no.2 as well. Heavy tho and difficult to assemble, but you will get used to it. Mummies are very super creatures.

Please post when there are Robinsons or Taka bb fair. Need to stock up on regular stuff and buy some new toys for the new girl. If not, she will only have kor kor's toys.

Back