Advice pls: Starting on Solids

brownie2003,
i think all the items you have listed are spot-on. if in future you want to start feeding porridge, then i highly recommend you get a small slow cooker too, as it's very convenient to cook porridge in that, rather that in a pot over the stove.

for feeding spoon, i highly recommend the Avent one (it comes in a 2-pc pack). feeding bowl you can use anything. kiddy palace got a wide variety. now my dd is 9.5mths old i feed her with the baby rice bowl (the design is that monkey one), and the portion for lunch and dinner is approx 3/4 of that bowl.

weiwei,
bolognese can only feed after 9mths, pref you wait till at least 10mths. i will post the recipe here later - gotta go find it 1st (it's in the Gina Ford book).

i admire you for taking care of bb all on your own! i really don't know what i would do if my mum weren't around!!

hi lani and orchid, you gals are still here! Happy new year!!

orchid, go to check the SAHM thread.. waiting for your preferred dates.
happy.gif

hi weiwei, how's your gal's eczema condition?
re. bolognaise, it is advisable to feed after you have introduced beef and wheat (if you are using wheat pasta), in addition to tomato, assuming these are the main ingredients you are using.

If your bb's weight gain is slow, it is advisable to ensure her FM/BM intake is high. For bb under 10 months old, milk is a more nutritious and complete diet than solids. If you give too much solids to replace her milk feed, you have to ensure you are feeding high calorie food, otherwise your bb will not be getting enough calories and complete nutrition for her fast growth. Also, at 7.5 months, chances are she would not have eaten a wide variety of food yet to have a truly balanced meal.

wei wei, we have a SAHM thread, currently placed under the "Temporary holding place" section of the forum. Come join us! Lots of SAHMs there exchanging info/support for each other on all areas.

Lani,
thks! pardon me to ask again, i gv porridge with veg n meat/fish to my dd, she can takes 2-3 chinese spoon. Milk intake 5-6oz, 5 times. Is it ok?
nowaday I m tired, so only gv cereal with veg for dinner.

domesticgoddess,
thks for yr concern
happy.gif
has send you a PM.
She is better now, but I m still holding back on introducing her multigrain cereal, tot of waiting till 8mth

my boy just reach seven month.. when do i start giving porridge twice ah.

saw somewhere that cannot give potato and sweet potato cos can cause wind then what to give to a seven month old baby???

btw, bought health times cereal can anyone advise how to mix to formula ah? how many cereal with how much water

hi corrine, can give potato & sweet potato.... it's ok. not much wind... at the most fart more lor. hahah...

add 3 tbsp cereal, pour in formula bit by bit while mixing. about 50 ml.

Re- food grinder

Hi mummies,
Has anyone tried using a food grinder/mill like the munchkin one (see pic below). Is it useful or any good? i read in some books that using a food grinder/mill is better, cause you don't have to puree so much at one time, can grind food fresh for baby each day? and its easy to use, manual?

354724.jpg

Re- rice cereal
my baby girl is 4mths plus, and i have been letting her take heinz rice cereal once a day. Now, i want to introduce other puree like apple, banana, sweet potato etc. Should i feed her these puree directly, or should i mix with the rice cereal and introduce to her slowly? can i mix the puree from baby jars like gerber/heinz with the rice cereal?

Hi Lani

Many tks for the advice. Where can I place my bbs when feeding? Will 5mth old bbs able to sit on high chair? Or can I place them on the bouncer that is inclined 45degree?

Enya,
You can try Petit Maim "Baby" Yoghurt.
I saw it in early Dec at Jasons Supermkt at
Raffles City. Also, 2 weeks back at the
Marketplace Supermkt at Tanglin Mall.
Dunno whether Cold Storagae have or not (i couldnt
find it at Compasspt CS)

brownie,
i usually place my bb in the Bumbo Sitter.
Much easier cos hands are free, donmt have to
struggle with both the bowl and bb.

Folks, my bb is 5.5mths now.
Taking to solids well
happy.gif

So far he has tried the following :
- apple puree
- pumpkin + sugar/sweet beans puree (he likes this..) (i find it yummy too)
- mashed bananas + rice cereal
- carrot + potato puree
- peas + potato puree

next, feel like starting on :
- avocado (but expensive lei)..it turns brown so quickly
- butternut squash

Has anyone tried giving bb JUICE?
i tried giving my bb heinz pear juice mixed with water, but he didnt like it.

i am not sure whether to give him just juice w/o
water...but scared that he will develop sweet-tooth.

but he doesnt seem to be drinking much water.
does anyone give glucose water to bb?
or is it called glucolin?

hi brownie,
your baby can sit on a high chair only if he is able to sit on his own. i.e no support. otherwise you can feed him in a bouncer or on your lap.

liliput,
actually its not necessary to give juice or glucose. water will do.

Mummies,

I scroll through this thread very quickly and just want to mention that weaning is actually a very exciting process and definitely not scary or difficult at all! My son is 16 months now and I have been through what some of you are going through. I just armed myself with lots of books and read a lot regarding weaning and cooking etc and it was a really fun and easy process for me. Hope you will have lots of fun too. Don't worry about lacking information as the Internet has plenty of resources.

lilipit, for avocado, you can save half of it in fridge for another 2 days if you keep the stone. Usually i will cut it lengthwise and you will always have the stone in one half of the fruit. That is the half to save as the stone keeps the fruit from turning brown. If bb can't finish the other half at one go, you can either eat it yourself (it is yummy) or freeze. I haven't frozen avocado before as i read it doesn't freeze well.

Juice
i don't give glucose water and won't advise it either. It is definitely advisable to dilute baby juice as all the Heinz and Gerber brands are still very sweet. If he doesn't like pear juice, maybe try apple juice? BTW, it is not necessary to give 5.5 months bb juice unless of special medical reasons. The high calories may discourage your bb from eating other more nutritious food.

weiwei, I haven't received your PM. Maybe something is wrong with the PM function. Glad to know that your gal is better.
happy.gif

brownie, before my son was able to sit independently, i used to feed my son in his pram in the most upright position. It worked best for us. Some friends of mine feed theirs in car seat.

enya, you can buy Petit Miam baby yogurt from Cold Storage too.

mummytobe, I heard from another mummy that the Munchkin grinder is very hard to use, as in you need to grind a long time to get the required texture and consistency, so time consuming and labour intensive. I use Philips blender and it can blend a small batch. And you can add purees from those Heinz and Gerber jars to any food you want to feed. Like mashed banana or cereals with Gerber pureed applesauce.

weiwei,
you said your dd takes about 2-3 chinese rice spoon of porridge, and drinks milk 5x/day...do you feed her milk during her lunch and dinner also? if you do then maybe you want to try stopping this, and her food intake may increase. if the milk is not fed during lunch/dinner time, then how far apart are the feeding times? maybe the reason she is eating little is because she is too full from her milk.

i'm not too sure whether your porridge is the thin or thick kind, but my dd's is very thick (she likes it that way) and the cooked rice porridge amount now at 9.5mths (plain, before adding in veggies and chicken) is approx 2 full tbsp for lunch and 3 full tbsp for dinner.

if you're too tired to cook then why don't you batch cook the chicken and veggies and then freeze? then when time for meals can just heat up in microwave. it saves lots of time.

brownie,
when my dd was 5mths i fed her either in her bumbo or high chair (she could sit in the high chair on her won already). nowadays i very bo chap one, most times feed her in her exersaucer, as she likes to sit there and play with the toys or watch tv while eating. sometimes i even feed her in her pram! haha!

not advisable to feed them in a bouncer, esp if it is inclined, in case they choke. they need to be sitting upright when eating. if your baby is not able to sit in a high chair yet then your best bet would be the bumbo chair. it certainly came in VERY useful for me for the first couple of mths when she still couldn't sit upright on her own yet. i brought the bumbo out EVERYWHERE i went! hehe!

lilipit,
so happy that your bb is taking to solids well!! congrats!! i can still remember the times you psoted all your questions and concerns here about introdcing solids to your bb! it seems like a lifetime away huh??
happy.gif

my dd doesn't like juice, but LOVES water, so i just feed her water after her meals. on average she drinks about 2-4oz of water per day. now she drinks all her water from the sippy cup. i plan to teach her to use the straw cup very soon. i tried it about 1.5 mths back but she only bites the straw (haha!) so maybe now she will instinctively know how to "suck" the straw.

hi mummies,
i TOTALLY agree with DG's statement

"I scroll through this thread very quickly and just want to mention that weaning is actually a very exciting process and definitely not scary or difficult at all! My son is 16 months now and I have been through what some of you are going through. I just armed myself with lots of books and read a lot regarding weaning and cooking etc and it was a really fun and easy process for me. Hope you will have lots of fun too. Don't worry about lacking information as the Internet has plenty of resources".

i too found the entire weaning process extemely exciting and fun for me!!
happy.gif

afternoon

enya,i find it useful lor...but depend on ur bb size,n i din buy le...cos my bb big size mah

btw...anyone of u try Si Sen ikan bilis brown rice powder form? i let my bb try,he like it,but heard that it content salt?not gd for bb?

hi enya,

i used to use the bumbo for my baby. but after she could sit on her own she didn't like the bumbo.... if you want, i can sell it to you second hand.
happy.gif
pm me if you are interested.

hi there

cos rite now, i am using a rocker, which can be adjusted to upright position, so its q gd lor. got it for 50 bucks from kiddy palace ...

i heard that the eu yan sang si shen fen is gd for babies. wonder how true that is. and yes i heard that the moon rabbit what ikan bilis one is gd, but are all these safe for babies??

i will go and get the yoghurt tonite. the yoplait petit maim ones ah? any flavours will do?

enya

yalor...that y i wan to knw whether is gd for bbs...trying to ask whom got let their bbs try moon rabbit si sen ikan bilis brown powder?

but dunno whether safe to give anot hor, cos sometimes these things may have some herbs or high in salt etc which may be bad for bbs

Lani,
Many thks for the advice. Really need lot of patient to feed her, realise when she is busy with something, can feed her more.

hi enya,

the tcm shop at my mom's place say that the brown rice powder with si shen fen helps the bones to grow stronger, give baby better apetite, makes baby tougher & less susceptible to sickness (donno true or not lah). i'm pretty suspect when it comes to these tcm stuff cos they never tell you what exactly is inside and even if they do, you don't know what they really do, and everything they sell supposed to be good for everything one. know what i mean?

anyway, tcm shop sell 2 typs of home made brown rice powder. they have one type without the extra 'good' stuff (i.e. just plain brown rice powder) and one type with. i only buy the plain one. quite fragrant.

hi wei wei,

how old is your bb?
gradually milk intake should go down to only 3 times a day (early morning, mid afternoon & last feed), solids 3 times a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). give water in between or while feeding solids.

hi orchid

i know what u mean man, somehow or rather, u never know what goes inside the si shen fen. but i think maybe can try the eu yan sang brown rice si shen fen. heard its v gd for the bb lor ...

i think i feel safer giving bb organic brown rice cereal, or i cook brown rice porridge for him ...

just to check, any recommendations for warmer bowls with suction pad?

hi enya,

i like the ikea green frog one. cheap & good.
happy.gif
it has a rubber pad so quite non-slip but no warmer. actually i don't think there's a need for warmer in our climate. i'm more concerned with food being too hot than too cold
happy.gif

but by the time bb finishes the porridge, may turn cold which may be bad for him lor ... so i wan to find something that can keep the food warm ....

also bot heat sensor spoons to make sure food is not too hot ....

Hi mummies,
Tks for the advice. My hb was also suggesting the car seat.

Hi Orchid,
Can let me know how much u are asking for the bumbo? May be interested. Can pm me the picture and price?

Hi Orchid,

my bb 7.5mth. Hv not start giving breakfast yet. So milk feed when she wakes up, and milk again mid-morning. I am quite happy today that she is able to eat more for 2 meals. Maybe she has enough sleep. Her intake can fluctuate according to her mood, or if she has tummy upset, before she poo poo

weiwei,
you can start feeding your bb b'fast once she is well-established on solids for lunch and dinner, and eating those meals well. you don't want her to cut down on her lunch and dinner intake when she is just starting to eat well. also, another indication to start feeding b'fast is when she starts showing sighns of being hungry way before her scheduled lunch time. then you will know her morning milk is not enuf and it's time to feed her some b'fast. hope this info helps!

mummies,
i am glad this thread was started! i remember when sarah was ard 4mths old and i was also quite kan cheong about how to go about weaning to solids, i couldn't find any thread here that discussed this topic in detail. so end up i had to ask lots of questions to so many mummies on some of the other threads, and also do TONS of reading up on my own.

fushiastar,
for me, the best book so far is the one by Gina Ford, The Contented Little Baby Book of Weaning. It was like a 'weaning bible' for me! Alot of the bookstores always go OOS for this title, so it's best you quickly go and get a copy and start reading so that you have ample time to prepare before weaning begins. Yesterday i happen to be at Times Tampines Mall and i saw they had 2 copies avail.

Lani,
oic thks, again she is eating well today
happy.gif
hope she keeps it that way. I hv reschedule her nap time, and seem to work.

weiwei,
that's great to hear!!
happy.gif
once bb is ard 6mths old they only need 2 naps a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. just make sure she is not over-tired or over-sleepy when you're feeding her solids, so that she will eat well.

hi wei wei,
can start breakfast. don't need to give alot. can give just fruit. or cereal with fruit, or no sugar bean curd (tao huey).

my bb very funny. she likes to poop while eating. then she continue eating. haha... abit gros.. :p

orchid,
my dd also like to poo-poo during her meals, then can just continue eating like nothing happened...then when cleaning time alamak, all flat-flat already liao, like pancake...LOL!!! damn gross...

weiwei,
orchid is right. can start b'fast now already if you want (my dd started b'fast at ard 6mths), but start with very little portion, ie. start off w/ 1tsp cereal after her morning milk, then slowly increase amt when you think she can take more. baby oatmeal cereal is a good b'fast cereal to start off with. btw, once you start b'fast it's probabbly a good idea to drop her mid-morning milk feed.

hi

does anyone know where to get ice cube trays with cover for storing homemade baby food? couldn't find them at the supermarkets eg. cold storage, ntuc, giant etc.

thks!

i saw sherbert trays before at ntuc, mayb u can try? or isetan?

i bot the yoghurt petit miam, but must finish the whole tub at one go? can i scoop out what i wan to give, and keep the rest in the fridge to fnish within the day?

enya,
the petit miam yoghurt is the one specifically for babies right? it has pic of a baby on the pack, i think comes in a 2-pack. they have apple, pear, banana or vanilla flavour. you can't feed your bb any other yoghurt except this one (can also feed regular full-fat plain yoghurt).

Hi enya,
I saw First Few Years (paragon) selling a baby bowl with warmer and suction. The warmer part is actually a compartment below where you fill with hot water to keep the food above warm. Its selling for $19+..by munchkin i think..

re-yoghurt
How old must our baby be before we can feed her yoghurt?

thks orchid & lani
happy.gif

ok, now I understand liao. She is eating well again today
happy.gif
She has just adapted to 2 naps now. Thanks for the advices, will try to start her on b'fast.

Seem to be funny, my dd also poo during meals.

I saw *Petit Maim Baby Yoghurt* at Cold Storage (compasspoint) today. Came in 4 pack. price is $4+. the flavours at compasspoint was vanilla, and banana. I saw tat the pack was labelled for 6mths & above...woohoo...cant wait to start bb on the yoghurt...

Bacookie, spotlight (plaza sing) has got ice tray with cover (but the cover is just to place over. not tight fitting one) come from japan. think cost btn $4-$5plus. quite ex lei.

Lani, thanks. i saw saw your post much earlier on. yes, i am so grateful to this forum..i could pick up so many things from the other mommies. started out blur on solids...but now so glad that bb is taking well to it. and the best part is...now that he is on solids, he is sleeping the whole night thru !!! Am gonna start him on rusks soon
happy.gif

lilipit,
you're very welcome. yes, that's the baby yoghurt i am referring to! and yes, they seem to sleep well once they start on solids! and sometimes in the mornings they also don't wanna wake up liao! can faint ah...

hi morning,

i feeling moody..
my boy dun like heinz & dumex rice cereal,oso dun like si sen brown rice...only like si sen brown rice wif ikan bilis.

i try to let him eat si sen brown rice wan,cry n cry...so sianz le...

nw i dun kw what to feed him?any suggestions?

Hi pol,
How about Frisocream?

As for Heinz, izit plain Heinz cereal or can add in one other ingredients like baby biscuit, carrot, tofu, apple, banana etc?

Keep experimenting.

Cheers

Baby Yoghurt
Yoghurt is very cold when taken out of the fridge. Do you feed immediately or you put it outside till it is room temperature
or warm up the yoghurt. I'm afraid straight from the fridge too cold will cause stomach upset.

hi pol, have you tried healthy times brown rice cereal? its quite nice.

or you can add banana to the cereal. my girl hates plain cereal need to add fruit (banana/apple/pear)

Bacookie & Lilipit,
OG at Albert complex (near Bugis Junction) has ice-trays with covers for $2.90 (made in japan) It comes with a cover and has many sizes and shapes for you to choose from. In the Japanese section, same level as baby stuff. You could have a look.
happy.gif

Lani,
Yes, totally agree that have to read up. I was really lost as to where to start for weaning. But I have just picked up a book to read about it, and now, I am more excited than worried or anxious.
happy.gif

Hi mummies,
I couldn't get my hands on the Gina Ford book Lani mentioned, but this one is informative and easy to read too: "Feed Me!" by Gerrie Hawes. It is easy to read and has detailed instructions for food preparation and even has meal planners all the way to 2 years old. Got it from MPH at Citylink.

Back