Advice pls: Starting on Solids

lilipit,
when i was scrolling down for a moment there i thought you posted a poem lah! hahaha!!

26oz is good for 5mth old...my dd is now 9mths already and her intake ard 20-22oz a day, which is just right. by the time they reach 1yr old it needs to go down to ard 12-20oz only.

the way you thaw pureed pear is correct. me very lazy you know, i used to thaw it in the fridge the night before, then when feeding time just heat up in microwave for about 5-10secs...hehe!

for peas i just buy frozen peas, then boil and puree. very true, so damn leceh to prepare the fresh peas!

tang ling,
in order to thaw frozen food (especially veggies) you can thaw in the fridge overnight, or thaw outside to room temp, but it's best to warm up/heat up a bit before serving.

i doubt there is much loss of nutrition in freezing the foods, as most cookbooks and parenting books actually have recipes that say you can freeze the foods. there is prob more loss of nutrition in boiling as opposed to steaming foods.

thanks lilipit! hope the strainer works just as well... otherwise, really have to invest in blender.

BTW, what types of pears you gals use? there are so many different types in the market - are they any type we should avoid?

for the peas - must remove skin first then boil or boil and remove skin? me v blur..

Hi,
Can I out if anyone has given earth best brown rice cereal and/healthy times brown rice cereal mix with water & EBM? If so, did any of u noticed any black residue settling at the bottom of the bowl towards the end of the feeding? U have to use a white bowl to be able to see the black residue. I'm very 'fan' cos the shop selling tested but said there isn't but so many witnesses at home & now, duno whether to continue to give the brown rice cereal or not Just want to know if it is normal to find little black residue in the brown rice cereal? Thanks.

Hi mummies,

any advice on which brand of blender to buy? i'm just starting my girl on solids..also, after rice cereal, what should i let her try next? some people told me to let her try banana but some say should let her try the vege type of puree first (green peas, sweet potato) cause they say if she takes the sweet type of puree like banana and apple first, she will 'reject' the non-sweet type of peas, carrots etc. any advice?

tuffy,
i just buy any type of green pear at the supermarket (usually NTUC has the USA Anjour Pear), then when I bring home I let it ripen for a few more days, so that it is nice, soft and juicy! My ddd likes it that way.

i'm a mummy,
yes, it's best to introduce pureed veggies first before giving fruits (with the exception of pears & apples, which help in relieving constipation when you 1st wean onto solid foods), because when they get too accustomed to the sweet taste, they will reject veggies. if you can find the Gina Ford book on weaning, then try to read it - it's VERY detailed & useful!!

LSM, I give my baby Healthy Times rice cereal mixed with EBM and have never noticed any black residue. But I don't use a white bowl. I suppose if you are really uncomfortable, you could try buying another box from a different store and see if you have the same problem. Or you could email the manufacturers in the US directly, they are usually very helpful with questions like this.

hi there

i tried giving my bb the healthy times jarred foods, and i think he likes it man!!! so can try if u guys wan to ...

i'm a mummy,
can start with root veg (eg. carrots, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin) and fruit (eg. banana, apple etc). if your bb rejects the non-sweet stuff, u can always mix it with her favorites or add with cereal instead of plain porridge. eg. apples with carrots.

tuffy,
steam/boil the peas, then puree then press thru seive. the pea skin will auto come off. quite easy lah. i just use the frozen ones.
happy.gif

lsm,
i noticed little black specs when i make healthy times oat cereal. they only appear after mixing with milk/water. is that what you are refering to? but the brown rice cereal was ok.

on jar food, i tried Hipp organic jar food. wah, smells really good. but bb likes it better if i mix with plain rice cereal. maybe the taste too strong.

Orchid & Babyboy,

I think after mixing with EBM & feeding my bb the cereal, the tiny black residue will settle down below the cereal onto the white bowl I used. Maybe, i should stop mixing them with my EBM n just use water. But then, my bb takes some milk before & after the cereal so no difference right? Dunno y my EBM causes such a reaction. Only Gerber rice cereal is ok... sigh

Hi all,
I've some questions on this topic too.

Is it ok to feed heinz/gerber jars of food on a daily basis?

I tried to puree fruits and vege but my girl doesn't like it and will cry if i continue to feed her. I'm trying not to upset her feeding session so i did not force feed her. Is it ok to add puree fruit and vege in those cereal with milk?

Should custard be taken as a meal or dessert? My girl likes egg custard so can i give her regularly?

also, can we replace cereal with porridge for as long as it gets and add ingredients to it? This will definitely save a lot of time

Thanks in adv!

i'm a mummy,
best to try borders. most of the other bookstores sometimes OOS.

LV,
i'm not a big fan of feeding babies jar baby food everyday. i prefer to prepare the veggies, fruits and meat myself and feed my dd. i guess feeding jar food once in a while (when you're busy) is ok. if your baby is already ard 7mths old you can already prepare fish or chicken porridge mixed with veggies (Must blend/puree) and feed that.

you can definitely add in pureed fruits or veggies into rice cereal. that's what i do for my dd's meals. i think feeding just the pureed veggie alone may be too much, cause the taste may be too overwhelming for them to take. my dd also didn't like to be fed pureed veggies on its own. you're right about not wanting to force feed your dd. if your dd cries or gets upset druing her meals, don't force it on her. stop and then can try again another day. you don't want her to associate stress and despair with feeding times, as it will make it worse and worse. feeding times should be a happy and fun experience for them.

as for egg custard, i don't think it's a good idea to feed it as a meal on its own, as it may not be well balanced enuf (it only contains protein). your bb's meal would need to have carbo (from rice, or cereal, or potato, or sweet potato) and also vitamins and minerals from veggies.

hey everyone,
i made some pea-mash last nite
(normally i make on friday nite for
the week ahead. i am a working mom.)

i made the pea-mash from scratch...
very leicei... bot a pack of snow peas
at 60 cents from carrefour. Removed the peas
from pea pods, then boiled for a very short
while, and tried to puree with blender, but not
so successful cos i think the amt was too
little..in the end have to add boiled potato ...
managed to make 4 cubes with the amt...

i just fed that pea-mash to my ds...i warmed it up, and added some milk to make it less
thick...he loves it
happy.gif
worth the effort..hee..hee...

i am gonna make carrot+potato-mash on
boxing day for ds.

and mommies, i saw SPOTLIGHT (plaza sing)
selling covered ice trays (the cover is for the
whole tray...not the individualised compartment
kind). the cover is not the tight kind. it is
just for u to place over the tray. it is from
japan. selling at $4.95.

i didnt buy tho, cos prefer to cover the ice-
trays with a big plastic bag (used the ones from
carrefour vege section).

BY THE WAY, does anyone know whether can feed bb
baby corn (pureed) ?

hi orchid

where can i get the hipp organic food u are talking about?

is it necessary to steam the avocado before feeding? i bought the japanese sweet potatoes, steamed and mashed it for him to mix with the brown rice cereal. think he luvs it!!

sorrie, another question, puree means blend the vegetables (using a blender) with some water? i am confused. for now, i just mash the food and give to bb leh ...

enya
no you do not have to steam the avocado. avocado are very soft when it's ripe (meaning turn brown in colour). I just scoop and puree using a strainer.

u can puree your food by means of using a blender, strainer, masher etc. as long as the food is easy for the baby to swallow. The baby jar food is a good example of puree food. It's very fine, not too thick and easy to swallow. I do add some water/F.milk to my sweet potato, pumpkin, avocado so that it is not too thick for my baby to swallow.

lani,
Thanks for sharing. You are like a nutritionist
happy.gif
. I tried giving my girl pureed vege/fruits with plain cereal but she just rejects it and use her tongue to spit it out. But if i give her cereal with milk then she takes it better but not with pureed stuff. At 7 months now, do we still need to strain the food?

weiwei,
normally you can start giving mashed foods like veggies, rice or ripened fruits (but not too thick and coarse) at ard 9-10mths. for meat (eg chicken, beef, etc) it must still be pureed till at least 11-12mths.

LV,
start off with a very small amount of the pureed veggie (1 cube) mixed in the rice cereal, then slowly increase the amt.

what do you mean by strain the food?

hi

i check wif u all hor,if i wan to add those puree fruits n vegs into rice cereals,shd i separate the puree fruits n vegs or mixed all together huh?

what puree fruits n vegs shd i add?

i only knw apple...

pol,
i don't understand what you mean by seperating the pureed fruits and veggies?

you can add the pureed veggies into rice cereal. when you first start off, add in only 1 type of veggie.

for eg,
day 1-3: 1 cube sweet potato mixed w/ rice cereal
day 4-6: 1 cube carrot mixed w/ rice cereal
day 7-9: 1 cube green bean mixed...
day 10-12: 1 cube zuchinni mixed...
and so on...you can intro many diff types of veggies, spinach, pumpkin, peas, potato, brocolli, cauliflower, sweet corn, etc, etc, the list is endless

then when your baby has been introduced to most of the above veggies and show no signs of allergies to them, you can start mixing 2 types, eg sweet potato and spinach, pumpkin and green bean, carrot and zuchinni, etc, etc.

as for pureed fruits, i normally feed it on its own and not mixed w/ rice cereal.

Lani,
thks! is it a must to give 2 meals per day now? I found that my dd don't eat much at dinner, always cranky, wanting to sleep. And she still wakes up for night feed, sometimes ard 12am or 2am.

some ppl say that too much sweet potato will cause wind, is it true?
I have tried potato, carrot and tomato with porridge, is tasty, and she likes it. (but the tomato need to be skin and seed removed)

morning

morning lani,i got what u meant liao.
understood.
but yesterday when i fed my bb cereal,he will always crying n dun wan to swallow down,i dun kw why? help mi!!

hi pol, maybe it not nice? or he doesn't like the fruit/veg that day? can add his normal milk or his fav fruit.

my girl always makes a fuss when eating papaya. she hates it. haha...

hi enya, i got the Hipp organic food from brown rice paradise (tanglin mall).

Don't need to steam Avocado, but it will turn dark (like banana). if u want to keep it longer can steam.

TOFU - hey ladies, can try tofu. i've added silken tofu to cereal with veg. not bad. and its a good source of protein.

hi enya, i got the Hipp organic food from brown rice paradise (tanglin mall).

Don't need to steam Avocado, but it will turn dark (like banana). if u want to keep it longer can steam.

TOFU - hey ladies, can try tofu. i've added silken tofu to cereal with veg. not bad. and its a good source of protein.

hi orchid

i oso thought of that too,
think i have to try another brand
for him liao...din add any veg
n fruits n already started to scream
so hard to feed him...kinda frustrated.

as i thought shd let him try rice cereals
first b4 proceed him on fruits n vegs
but he give mi that feelings he dun like
...hw to proceed on leh?
so sianz

hi lani,
do we still have to push the pureed vege through the strainer or sieve?

Btw, if we add bananas to the cereal, don't need to puree right? And are there different types of bananas to choose from? I remember during my pregnancy, the fruit seller told me not to buy certain type of bananas as not good for preggies. He told me not to eat del monte. So is it the same for babies?

hi orchid

have u tried the healthy times jarred food? vitakids carries them, and there are alot of interesting flavours .... i am so tempted to go and try the hipp one too. how many flavours are there? how much is one jar?

is it necessary to get the pigeon baby food maker huh?? $35 .... might as well get a blender? but heard using blender introduces alot of "wind" into the homemadebaby food ah??? *confused* ...

btw, is it okay to introduce apricots to 6mth baby??? i read that from annabel karmel's website ... got the annabel karmel's "feeding your baby and toddler" ... a v informative book indeed!!
happy.gif

hi enya,
I juz bought the pigeon food maker. It has a stroage lid for use when storing food in refrigerator, freezer and microwave safe too. It can be sterilized. Some of the other brand may not be heat resistant. Hehe, I spent some time comparing before buying, really handy in making small amt of food instantly.

pol,
some babies need some time to get used to eating sold foods, as they are used to milk and wld prefer to have it. if he cries, then don't force. wait another day or two then try again. when babies are less than 6mths old solid foods are just meant to be first tastes only and not supposed to replace their milk feeds. so basically you're feeding them solids to get them used to it. if he really doens't like the cereal, then expriment with different brands (eg Frisocream, etc) or maybe you adjust the consistency (ie make it more watery or maybe thicker).

weiwei,
at ard 7-9mths usually they are eating 2 meals already, ie lunch and dinner. actually at 7.5mths my dd was already taking 3 meals plus 3 milk feeds. if she is cranky and cries at dinner time, that means her dinner time is too close to her bedtime, that's why she is cranky and won't want to eat. she may be hungry but because she is already over-tired she won't want to eat. babies who are too tired will get very fussy and cranky at mealtimes. try to feed her dinner about 2, 2.5 or 3 hrs before her actual bedtime. so if she goes to bed at 7pm, dinner should be at 5pm (and no later) then milk just before 7pm. if she goes to bed at 8pm then dinner can be anytime b/w 5-6pm and milk just before bedtime. and so on.

enya,
babies 6mths onwards can already take yoghurt. give either those meant for babies, or if you buy adult yoghurt it MUST be plain, full-fat yoghurt. cheese also can already feed from 7-8mth onwards. my dd loves cheese on toast!

weiwei
My mum said sweet potato causes wind. That is why when you eat sweet potato soup dessert they put some ginger in it.
I also read that potato also causes wind. My daughter cannot take sweet potato and potato. She gets stomach upset.
So I will wait till she's abit older and try again.

Lani
oh I can give yoghurt to my baby now? I was asking myself when can I start her on baby yoghurt because I myself love yoghurt.

Lani,
my dd can take 2-3 chinese spoon of porridge (if she is in good mood) during lunch, 1 ch spoon at dinner. Is the intake normal? I am very concern because her weight gain is slow.

bbrooster,
I didn't know that potato can cause wind too, and I give almost everyday. No wonder she has tummy upset now and then.

Lani,

I just started my 6.5 mths baby on rice cereals this week, once a day.
For the first day, he took about 2 tsps, and following days, he finished all the 4-5 tsp
that I have prepared, in addition to the FM.

What's next?
Still stick to the once a day and introduce other pureed vegetables? (along with his usual FM feeds)
Or should I replace one of his FM feed to just rice cereal?
When to increase to 2 cereal feeds a day?

bbrooster, Hi! surprise to see you here.
happy.gif

tang ling,
i started my dd on solids at 5mths old. on days 1-4 i fed the rice cereal after her lunch milk feeding, then from day 5 onwards i also fed some rice cereal after her dinner milk feed too.

when she was 6mths old, i still continued to feed solids after lunch and dinner milk feeds, but during this month i used the tier method of feeding, ie. give half milk feed, then solid foods, then followed by the rest of the milk feeds.

from 7 mths onwards, her lunch and dinner milk feeds were totally replaced by solid food (because i started to introduce fish and chicken). so now she has milk at 8am, 3pm and 9pm, and b'fast at 9am, lunct at 12pm and dinner at 6pm.

i think at 6.5mths old you can sort of "accelerate" the process a little bit, as opposed to mine, since i started at 5mths.

weiwei,
is the porridge just plain porridge or already mixed w/ veggies and/or fish/chicken?

it's very hard to say if it's too little, cause every baby is different, and each will have different appetites. some will need to eat more, while others less. maybe just let your baby take the lead for now. they normally won't make themselves go hungry one. but if you are concerned about the amt, i saw on the KKH website that for a 7mth old, the amount of plain porridge (ie before adding in veggies and meat/fish) is about half rice bowl. so by the time you add in the veggies and fish/meat, it will come up to about 3/4 rice bowl. at around 7-8mths old my dd was eating 3/4 rice bowl per meal. now she is eating a full rice bowl per meal! very greedy girl! haha!

btw, you feed your dd tomatoes already ah? i was told to wait till at least 9-10 mths cause tomatoes may cause allergies. but if your dd is ok with it and show no signs of allergies, then i guess it's fine.

bbrooster,
if your bb past 6mths old def can take yoghurt already. a good time to give is at b'fast or tea time. start out with the yoghurt for baby (i think it's by petit miam, can find at cold storage). they have vanilla, banana, pear and apple flavours.

LV,
if you puree the veggies already then no need to push thru sieve liao. and bananas no need to puree, can just mash-mash and feed. i think any kind of bananas should be fine. i just feed my dd the del monte ones.

btw, somebody asked if can feed apricots/peaches at 6mths right? can't remember who liao. anyway, i know for peaches, if bb is below 6mths, must still cook and puree the peach. if over 6mths then no need to cook anymore, can just mash-mash (or puree) and feed. i'm not too sure about apricots, as i've never fed my dd that before.

Hi all, Happy New Year!

Lani,
I have given her tomato thrice, so far ok. (heng, didn't know that can cause allergy) wow, really can learn a lot from you.
I am SAHM without any help, so sometimes panic when I am stuck with a problem. This thread is very useful to me
happy.gif

weiwei,
if she is fine w/ tomatoes then it's ok to continue. that means soon you can cook and feed baby spahhetti bolognese liao (yum yum!).

i am also a SAHM, but my mum helps me out on weekdays, so i am very fortunate. don't worry, we all face probs and get panicky. for me i will just refer to the books that i have or just research on the internet.

hi enya, yes i've tried healthy times too. price of hipp is about the same as healthy times. can't remember how much $2 something?

but i don't like the ones with meat (eg. lamb, chicken, beef) i find that the smell/taste too strong.

Hi,

My bbs are 4.5 mths now. Plan to ask start introducing solids when they turn 5mth. Few stupid questions:
1) What are the things/equipment we need to start? Any other things apart from those listed below? Any recommendation on brands, size, material, etc?
- feeding spoon
- feeding bowl
- small pot for cooking/boiling
- mini blender, chopper, mixer
- ice cube tray with cover
- ziplog bag

2) Given that bb won't be able to sit yet, where can we put them when feeding? High chair? Bouncer that is inclined 45 degreee?

Lani,
How to prepare the spahhetti bolognese? can feed this to 7.5mth bb now? (hehe,, very exciting)
biggrin.gif

I fed her pumpkin for the 1st time today, keeping finger cross, hope is ok. Have been bored by cooking same thing again n again, so trying to explore new veg.

I hv no help bcoz my mum passed away, MIL working, so 'kan cheong' when I don't know what's wrong with dd.
I refer to books for guide on feeding, but sometimes so blur blur loh. Unsure whether am i on the right track.

Back