(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

Probably because by the 8th month if u take too much 补 the baby will get too big. It's a concern if u are a small sized mummy, hard to push out and may end up csect. Another will be heatiness. Chinese tonics are generally on the heaty side. By 8th month we are supposed to take more cooling stuffs. This is what I understand from my mum! The Korean ginseng in honey is neither heaty nor cooling. Become neutral after soaking for so long in the raw honey. So for #1 I took it till I popped.

Really depends on ur own body. I'm prone to heatiness so I consume more cooling stuffs like coconut water even right now. Some mummies cannot take it though, will get cold easily and fall sick. So really up to individual. U will know ur body best! However, if in doubt, better don't take any unless TCM tells u to. :)

mylilsheep, ginseng (人参) is confirm a no for pregnancy. The one we are talking about is 泡参. Different from the normal Chinese 人参. Don't get mixed up! :)

Ive been a silent reader here..learning from all hour info xchanges! but haha i need to chirp in on this one. Im 25 this year with my first pregnancy. But my aches quite jialat also leh. my back aches are quite a killer! Feel super lethargic easily also... Now i wonder how it will be like when i grow older & have no 2 or 3 :/

Hi, congrats on expecting ur #1. :) I was 24 when I was expecting my first born. Then at 25 I had #2. Now at 29 with #3, I can tell u with all honesty that my body is definitely not as strong as before liao. Hahaa!

One thing very important for young ladies like u, must remember to do a proper confinement. There are useless old wives tales (eg don't shower or wash hair for a month) and there are really true ones like take ur tonics, eat all the heaty stuffs and avoid plain water as much as possible. Plus try not to touch water unecessarily (washing baby bottles and clothes). I had a better confinement with #1 and body was stronger than before pregnancy. With #2, I was more hands-on as I had no maid and got to do everything by myself while my mum looked after #1. Had all sorts of issues like carpal tunnel syndrome in my fingers which was super painful and I'd shiver at night during confinement period. So this time, I'll have to make sure I do it properly. No more "chin chai" do liao. It's my last shot! Haha!

thanks @starrymommy, so we can eat pao shen till labour?

Yes. But I don't really eat the slices. Just double boil and drink the water only. Do this in the morning while u still have an empty stomach. Drinking after food won't be effective! And add 2-3 slices into a mug like what Doraemon_mummy suggested. And don't drink everyday as I doubt too much is good also. Maybe 2x a week when u are feeling especially tired when u wake up.

Thats enfamama i hav at home in chocolate flavour. Haha. And caused me puke all e time. Is drinking soya bean good enough?

And yes I should hav planned family earlier. Dunno why i feel super old with this pregnancy. Everything also no mood. Tired easily. Not effective at work too. All I can think of is when I can go home. Sigh..

I have heard something about not drinking too much soya bean milk esp if you are having a boy. Something abt hormones, not sure if true or not. But everything in moderation shld be fine!

Dun beat yourself up over not planning earlier ah, you got to enjoy alot more couple time and dats precious! Recently me n hubby both forgot our 11th yr pak tor anniversary lol. He said too many anniversaries cant keep track, n now got kid liao celebrate wat. Hmmm I shld ask for a gift to compensate hor…

speaking about anniversary...my hub was saying if my EDD is not end may and falls in mid June will be perfect cos coincide with our wedding anniversary. i told him no way! dont think you can get away with celebrating baby's bday every year and no need celebrate anniversaries in future ok!

that being said, if baby pops in May, i think i will still end up doing confinement in june during anniversary next year...how romantic to be pumping milk and looking fat and frumpy at home. lol.

Hi, congrats on expecting ur #1. :) I was 24 when I was expecting my first born. Then at 25 I had #2. Now at 29 with #3, I can tell u with all honesty that my body is definitely not as strong as before liao. Hahaa!

One thing very important for young ladies like u, must remember to do a proper confinement. There are useless old wives tales (eg don't shower or wash hair for a month) and there are really true ones like take ur tonics, eat all the heaty stuffs and avoid plain water as much as possible. Plus try not to touch water unecessarily (washing baby bottles and clothes). I had a better confinement with #1 and body was stronger than before pregnancy. With #2, I was more hands-on as I had no maid and got to do everything by myself while my mum looked after #1. Had all sorts of issues like carpal tunnel syndrome in my fingers which was super painful and I'd shiver at night during confinement period. So this time, I'll have to make sure I do it properly. No more "chin chai" do liao. It's my last shot! Haha!

Yah i thought the dun bathe and dun wash hair part during confinement was ridiculous! When we deliver will be in May, can imagine how hot and sweaty we will be?? Plus we will have lochia after delivery, so gross if dun wash.

But im gonna be guai guai and eat up all the tonics this time. N let the CL do all the washing etc and build up body again. Mothers cannot afford to fall sick!

Thank you all for your prompt replies... Backache is better today with trying warm and cold towels remedies..

Anyone have super cravings for icy stuff? I can eat a few scoop of ice cream a day but many friends told me cannot but the craving is super duper high! And not to forget sweet stuffs!

me! i wanna eat ice cold food like ice cream and drink ice cold pepsi everyday. so shiok. I personally think 2nd trimester should be ok to eat some lah. maybe not every meal drink cold drinks or eat ice cream. but my body is super heaty kind...when I took ginger tea more than 3 times a week to curb the nausea in evenings,, I get nose bleed then fell sick (happened again last week for me).

me! i wanna eat ice cold food like ice cream and drink ice cold pepsi everyday. so shiok. I personally think 2nd trimester should be ok to eat some lah. maybe not every meal drink cold drinks or eat ice cream. but my body is super heaty kind...when I took ginger tea more than 3 times a week to curb the nausea in evenings,, I get nose bleed then fell sick (happened again last week for me).
Wah.. ginger tea makes u nose bleed? Mayb urs was too thick.. i m ok leh. Now drink ginger drink on and off..

But in opposite i dun crave for ice cream at all. No sweet stuff for me. Sour is still my fav.. hehe.

Wah.. ginger tea makes ur nose bleed? Mayb urs was too thick.. i m ok leh. Now drink ginger drink on and off..

But in opposite i dun crave for ice cream at all. No sweet stuff for me. Sour is still my fav.. hehe.

Last edited:
haha i made it very diluted leh...not very spicy liao. i got the one from supermarket, didn't even make it myself and i drink on alternate days. but no choice...body heaty so can't really take it. actually my mom discourage me from taking too much ginger coz she say will cause jaundice in baby plus i so heaty, she ask me take coconut instead.

how's your morning sickness? I just ended my 2 weeks HL and I think (and hope) the nausea is slowly weaning off for me this week. feeling better than past 2 weeks.

Yah i thought the dun bathe and dun wash hair part during confinement was ridiculous! When we deliver will be in May, can imagine how hot and sweaty we will be?? Plus we will have lochia after delivery, so gross if dun wash.

But im gonna be guai guai and eat up all the tonics this time. N let the CL do all the washing etc and build up body again. Mothers cannot afford to fall sick!

May is hot month, just too bad! this time i will be doing confinement at my own house and intend to hide in aircon room if it gets too warm outside. previous two times were at my mum's place. no aircon! it was torture. i would secretly strip and splash cold water on myself when i went toilet. buay tahan!! and imagine nursing baby while all sticky and sweaty. yucks.

speaking about anniversary...my hub was saying if my EDD is not end may and falls in mid June will be perfect cos coincide with our wedding anniversary. i told him no way! dont think you can get away with celebrating baby's bday every year and no need celebrate anniversaries in future ok!

that being said, if baby pops in May, i think i will still end up doing confinement in june during anniversary next year...how romantic to be pumping milk and looking fat and frumpy at home. lol.

Nevermind, ask for a BIG anniversary present hahahha!!!

Yes, I also cannot imagine not to bath esp the pte area! But must use the herbal warm water, pls really don't use cold tap water.
I personally really experienced the piercing pain right thru my fingertips upwards when I tried to juz wash my hands w tap water during #1 confinement. Also can feel the cold pain at my feet when I tried to wash off the brownish herbal bath water off my toilet tiles after shower.
I had CL then but m those vy gian chiong abt hse keeping, cannot wait for CL to help kind. But this last time, must really gian gian let others help to do liao.

50_BBN, must learn to close both eyes for that 28 days. haha! mine was carpal tunnel syndrome, joint pain in the fingers. got so bad that the joints swelled. sounds like arthritis hor? very sacry that pain. so bad that i couldn't hold spoon and fork properly. and when breasts are engorged, i couldn't massage effectively. boobies pain, hands also pain. really tough, those days.. pray hard that I won't get it this time.

Hihi

Im new here, im having 2nd one. I was told to prepare pressie for older kid upon the arrival of new born. So he will treat his sibling well. Any mummy care to share what you did to prepare your kid for arrival of newborn?

Thanks!
D

Heeeheee.. Went for gynae check today and was told that no ice cream unless maybe once a week cause of the sugar content that will not digest and absorb by your body and baby tends to be big size. If family history with diabetes, good to stay clear with sugary stuffs.

Try not to take too much ginseng as my MIL forbids due to herbs maybe. Not good for pregnant mummy. The best is kampong chicken broth.

Wanna do a poll on the old wives tales about taking sweet stuffs:.

Are expecting a girl or a boy?

Gynae told me that I am expecting a girl! But hubby still want to wait for detailed scan on 26 !

Hihi

Im new here, im having 2nd one. I was told to prepare pressie for older kid upon the arrival of new born. So he will treat his sibling well. Any mummy care to share what you did to prepare your kid for arrival of newborn?

Thanks!
D

i will be buying toys that my girls will like when baby arrives. all wrapped up nicely with a big bow - the whole works. lol! and it helps to show them my tummy and let them feel didi moving inside. or allow them to press their ears against the belly to "listen" to didi. sort of like "inception", give them ample time to get used to the idea of having another family member. :D

i'm having likely a girl...TBC in Jan! ;)
yes, i am not taking too much sweet stuff too...both my parents are diabetics so I am wary.

momocrv, it's a continuous and rhythmic feeling, like baby is bopping about inside. does that make sense? lol! Dr Yam told me the same thing. he even went to the extend of measuring my tummy fat thickness. :p

Yes!!! I experienced it that day so cute and exciting!!

i will be buying toys that my girls will like when baby arrives. all wrapped up nicely with a big bow - the whole works. lol! and it helps to show them my tummy and let them feel didi moving inside. or allow them to press their ears against the belly to "listen" to didi. sort of like "inception", give them ample time to get used to the idea of having another family member. :D

Thanks! I have been telling him about new arrival.. maybe he still too young to understand.. or ipad is more attractive! =(

Heeeheee.. Went for gynae check today and was told that no ice cream unless maybe once a week cause of the sugar content that will not digest and absorb by your body and baby tends to be big size. If family history with diabetes, good to stay clear with sugary stuffs.

Try not to take too much ginseng as my MIL forbids due to herbs maybe. Not good for pregnant mummy. The best is kampong chicken broth.

Wanna do a poll on the old wives tales about taking sweet stuffs:.

Are expecting a girl or a boy?

Gynae told me that I am expecting a girl! But hubby still want to wait for detailed scan on 26 !

yeahh... my gynae also told me not to eat ice cream or cake especially near this christmas and new year season when there will be a lot of sugary food. But dunno why I feel cravings to eat ice cream and even coke which is not good for the baby. Try to resist not to give baby too much ice cream liao. If I cannot tahan, I will buy one, then share with hubby. I am expecting a boy.

starrymommy, so did ur gynae already confirmed that u expecting a boy? good lehh.... finally got one prince at home. hahaha.....

I have itchy skin and cold feet at night (cant get warm by blanket or socks!). Also affect my quality of sleep. Super uncomfortable. I really hope we get over this very soon.
@isenggirl, maybe you can try to soak your feet in warm water before sleep then cover your feet with socks when you sleep. See if it can helps.

starrymommy, so did ur gynae already confirmed that u expecting a boy? good lehh.... finally got one prince at home. hahaha.....

he saw the birdie during our last scan and showed it to us. tried to see if we could spot the 3 lines (means having girl) but couldn't. and he was very sure he wasn't looking at umbilical cord, so likely a boy. BUT, he did say, there is still margin for error. covering his own backside. lol!!

@starrymommy for the Korean ginseng you mentioned before, what is the amount that I should get? Cos if I soak for 2 mths, I will be around 6mths+ by then and can only take till 8th mth of pregnancy right?

cynn04, to be on the safe side, take up till you are 8mths pregnant. thereafter maybe just consume the honey instead of the Korean ginseng. for me, I will just consume all the way till I pop, 3x a week. so that's like 4-6 thin slices a week. can eat during confinement too!

not sure how medical halls sell them. best go for those one whole stick kind then get them to slice it up thinly. I'll ask my mum tonight for more info then let you know k?

he saw the birdie during our last scan and showed it to us. tried to see if we could spot the 3 lines (means having girl) but couldn't. and he was very sure he wasn't looking at umbilical cord, so likely a boy. BUT, he did say, there is still margin for error. covering his own backside. lol!!

hahaha... most gynae would like tat one. But I think my gynae more confident, although he said probability 90% correct coz sometime it is baby finger there and not birdie. Then he said but so far he never wrong in predicting baby boy. Then the next visit after I did the detail scan, he read the report then said very confidently to me, see I told you is baby boy. lols.....

mylilsheep, next appointment for me will be coming Monday. looking forward to it. :) been feeling him moving and hearing his heartbeat for the past 3 weeks, yet still nothing compared to seeing the image on the ultrasound machine!

mylilsheep, next appointment for me will be coming Monday. looking forward to it. :) been feeling him moving and hearing his heartbeat for the past 3 weeks, yet still nothing compared to seeing the image on the ultrasound machine!
Will you be doing detail scan the coming monday or only routine check up with gynae? I am quite addicted to those longer scan like oscar scan, detail scan, coz can see baby show longer. Routine check up with gynae usually last only few minutes, too short. :p

Thanks starry!!

My detailed checkup on 2 Jan, still a long time away… cant wait to find out boy or girl, got so many sales going on now and I cant buy anything!! I wanna buy cute rompers!!!

Will you be doing detail scan the coming monday or only routine check up with gynae? I am quite addicted to those longer scan like oscar scan, detail scan, coz can see baby show longer. Routine check up with gynae usually last only few minutes, too short. :p

Monday one still routine wor.. don't know why my gynae booked me for detailed scan on 7th Jan. will be 23 weeks then! when I called up the clinic to double confirm, the nurse on duty said it is fine to do detailed scan at that gestational age too since cut off is around 24 weeks. oh well.. just wait lor!

me too love those longer scans. can see more things and may even catch baby yawning or dancing inside. really cute. :)

cynn04, very fast your turn. now festive season, time will pass by very very fast what with all the eating and celebrating. it will be the perfect New Year's gift for you and your hubby too, isn't it??

I hope so! Just bought a pair of Melissa shoes at the Robinsons sale, so happy.

Anyone ordering tingkat and is nice? I tink im being too ambitious these days. Picked up my gal after work in e evening, bathe her, cook for e 3 of us, wash dishes, clear up. Just a few days liddat I feel my back is breaking. Maybe switching to tingkat can lessen my load and not so tired.

So far everything is okay for you? as in blood test and urine test all showing normal results?

yeah everything normal for me so far...but I am careful coz now 2nd trim alrdy.
i think partly is because actually I cannot eat much still la.....i don't take normal sweets, milk or any carbs now (kind of dislike rice/pasta dont know why) coz appetite still poor. i haven't gain back the 5kg i lost in first trim. so sometimes i take glucolin just for energy boost.

I hope so! Just bought a pair of Melissa shoes at the Robinsons sale, so happy.

Anyone ordering tingkat and is nice? I tink im being too ambitious these days. Picked up my gal after work in e evening, bathe her, cook for e 3 of us, wash dishes, clear up. Just a few days liddat I feel my back is breaking. Maybe switching to tingkat can lessen my load and not so tired.

wah!! u do so much everyday - u are superwoman! i actually already thinking of tingkat delivery now. haha!

Thanks starry!!

My detailed checkup on 2 Jan, still a long time away… cant wait to find out boy or girl, got so many sales going on now and I cant buy anything!! I wanna buy cute rompers!!!
@cynn04, dun worry, after your detail scan you still have another chance to buy a lot of things during baby fair next year jan 2015. lols.......
Anyway, I still have not buy any baby stuff yet ..... stay cool. :cool: But have asked my sister to start to pack her baby stuff that she is going to pass to me. So I'll just see if there any need to buy on my own. :p

Hi.. Just joined this forum. Expecting my no. 2 in end may. Looking for confinement lady.. Not sure whether shld book thru agency. Any advice?

Hi everyone.... new to this thread....
expecting #2... #1 is 7 years gap... :p
too long ago for me to remember how to take care a newborn....

wah!! u do so much everyday - u are superwoman! i actually already thinking of tingkat delivery now. haha!

No la im not superwoman, only like this since last week when my gal go fulltime cc and now i cannot tahan hahaha! I used to order tingkat from hilltop, but it became very bad now according to my fren. Tingkat saves the hassle of buying groceries and cooking, but very hard to find a good one.

@starrymommy im also seeing Dr Yam coming monday hehe.. will be 19wks plus but he didnt schedule me for detailed scan e last time i visit. Duno isit he forgot.. So see what he says on mon...

Back