(2013/01) Jan 2013

my 2 mths + baby has been sending her mittens to her mouth too. i dont know if i should remove them cos i worried she might scratch herself

Hi Moshimaro22,
Not sure if my case is similar to yours. I've a 2yo, who used to eat very well. Adventurous will diff types of tastes and has a big appetite. But ever since about 16-18mths old, he starts to become v picky. Very hard to cook for him. The only sure winner food choices are sushi, pumpkin, potato, pasta. However, the strange thing is, he eats v well in child care centre. Food that he normally doesn't eat like noodles, he eats them in school. Maybe this is because of the 'herd instinct'.

I've read somewhere about kids of this age not eating as one of their milestone of asserting control. It's a chance for them to exercise choice of accepting or refusing something. I think mine is more of this case. Well, I'm still figuring out what's the best way to overcome this. To get my son to eat, I try to include at least 1 of his favourite in a meal, and he's also more accepting towards bright coloured food like ABC soup (carrots, corn, etc), papaya soup.

I do give him supplements like probiotics (add to oats), Vit C, flaxseed oil. I also add powdered algae powder to his milk.

Fang fang, my elder son is also like that, guess its transition. They learn to choose things they like ,same with food so I have to "force" him, make him eat things he don't like with the food he likes... Have to use diff methods. In Sch friends also eat so they will follow

Hey Leah Lim (iluvcookie),
if you're keen on joining our fb grp... you can PM me your email address
happy.gif

Hi mummies

I have the following items to let go. Please pm me or contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Philips Avent (Brand New)
1 X 6 piece Breast Shell Set

1 X Moisturising Nipple Cream

2 X 260ml/9oz classic feeding bottles with 1m+ teat

2 X 125ml/4oz classic feeding bottles with 0m+ teat
1 X 125ml/4oz classic feeding bottles with 0m+ teat

2 X classic bottles nipple 1m+

2 X classic bottles nipple 0m+ (2 sets)
4 X classic bottles nipple 0m+ without box

10 X Breast Milk Containers 180ml/6oz

Pigeon (Brand New)
2 X Peristaltic Nipple for Standard-neck Bottle Size S

2 X Peristaltic Nipple for Wide-neck Bottle Size S

2 X Peristaltic Nipple for Standard-neck Bottle Size M (2 sets)

Pumpin’ Pal (used less than 5 times)
Handsfree Breastpumping Strap

Medela (used less than 5 times)
PersonalFit Breastshield - S (21mm)
PersonalFit Breastshield - M (24mm)

Thank you.

Thanks bdmummy... my boy is on mamil Gold 3 too. is that brand recommended by the dietician too? he is taking abt 500ml of milk a day, can't really find space for milk cos we try to make sure he will be abit hungry close to meal times. He loves his milk. How did u schedule it? another prob was that he gets very constipated and they say milk powder makes it worse. Did u have this problem?

fangfang thanks for your advice! whats the benefits of algae powder and flaxseed oil? anyone tried wheatgerm powder?

also, I know alot of people put the brown rice si sen powder into baby's milk from as early as 4-6 mths. How much do you put? and is there any side effects? are the benefits of si sen powder really true?

thanks for any info gals
happy.gif

Moshimaro22,
Mamil Gold is ok, my boy taking that too. He drinks about 600ml daily - 180ml in child care at 12.30pm (lunch is at 11.30am) then naps from 1-3.30pm and drinks another 180ml when he wakes up. 3rd feed of milk is 200-240ml at 10pm before he sleeps. He used to drink in the morn, but he dropped that on his own and he now takes bf at the childcare at 8.15am. He still poos about 2x a day, been like that along, no constipation prob de. The dietician also asked me to give him more fats and oils in his diet - totally the opposite of what adults should be eating! More margarine, add more oil to his vege and stir fried food, can have more fried food etc wor!

Hi Moshimaro22,

the algae powder is a mixture of chlorella & spirulina. there're many literature out there on this green whole food's benefits. it's high in proteins and comprehensive range of vitamins and antioxidants.

i started giving flaxseed to my son 'cos of his eczema. Flaxseed oil helps to improve dry skin. Further, it's rich in omega-3 acid, which is an essential brain booster.

i used to give brown rice si shen powder to my son too. Added to his porridge instead of milk. Won't have side effect as it's made up of natural ingredients. it's hard to see or measure the real benefits, but the ingredients are nutritious and there's really no harm giving it to the kids.

hi fangfang,
sounds good. my kid's skin quite dry and sensitive too, we have strong family history of eczema. where's the best place to buy all these supplements from?

Hi,

My boy is 16 weeks plus. He can lift and control his head. However he drinks 150ML of milk, sometimes every 3 hours to 4hours. Is it alright?

However he can sleep through the night with last meal at about 9-10pm, while the next meal at about 4-5am.

He is not on mitten since 1 month plus. However now he keep putting his fingers on his mouth and the saliva, is his teeth growing?

See Today pg 34, there is an article to convince parents shld not feed babies before 6 months. Gd to show to in law if needed

Aspialle, anything bothering u in particular? take it easy....

Ha...my girl has successfully flipped from back to front today!
happy.gif

Celia and fang fang
Years back I went to Melbourne for vacation and left my son at mil hse as requested. At that time I reminded her he has not yet recovered from one month cough, thus do not mix him with sis in law kids who got chicken pox. However she purposely brought him out to mix with sis in law kids. In the end he was hospitalized at Kkh. Since then his health becomes weak, keep falling sick and takes longer time to recover. Everytime he fell sick, I will blame myself for not insisting my son to stay at my own home with maid and my mum. I have never vent my feelings to my in law as i do not want relationships to turn sour. Yesterday , I vent my own anger by punching pillow although my hand is injured. Recently I'm also exhausted as I have no more helper, have to take care of sick elder son and bb.

aspialle, are u still able to get your mum to help? Talk it out with your hub.. U must hang in there. Don't blame yourself over what had happened... Slowly try to build up your elder boy's immunity. I'm sure things will slowly get better as your bb gets bigger and easier to tend to. Jia you!!

fangfang, your girl is so fast! My 3 mth old boy still dun show any signs that he's ready to flp yet

Btw how do u all prevent bb from falling sick for those who have elder sibling schooling ? U never know when they inherent viruses and bring them home.

Hi aspialle, perhaps bathing as soon as they reach home might help before they play with bb. Do take good care of yourself as your babies depend on you. Hope your hand recover soon!

Aspialle,
Hugs!!! Do come in here to share your frustrations and feelings, we are here to lend a listening ear and provide you moral support! Have you tried discussing w your hubby? Be direct and tell him you really need some help ASAP, if he not keen to have helper etc even try out for a short period to ease the current situation is better than no help. Hang in there and stay strong gal!

As for baby getting germs or viruses from older kids, it's hard to prevent. Even when I brought #2 to see pd when he caught flu from kor kor at 3 wks old, pd also agrees that it's tough coz kor kor sometimes just wanna sayang didi so how to keep telling him not to go near didi? I do make it a point to remind kor kor not to touch didi until he washes his hands and feet after he comes home from childcare.

Agree tt it's difficult to be entirely safe. Will take some precaution like asking them not to kiss the face, etc. Once baby is older it should be better. I have 2 older ones so it's quite impossible to tell them to stay away from baby.

Hubby helps a lot compared to before, we have a dilemma whether to get maid. We find that our elder son depends a lot on maid and he will beat the maid. Without maid, he goes student care and we train him to be more independent. There r pros n cons. When I give birth to elder son also got into depression becos at that time there were two cancer patients in family to look after, spent some time to walk out from it . I'm a Buddhist, so my praying also helps but one's mind determine

Aspialle
Maybe just part time helper once or twice a week to clean the house and perhaps help w laundry and ironing? Maid is a longer term commitment la so need to consider carefully especially since your older boy now settled I to student care and more independent. Take care!!!

Aspialle,

U r a wonderful mommy.. I'm sure you love your kids so much you wld rather be sick instead of them. ur son fell sick is not ur fault at all, u just trusted ur MIL thats all.. its all in the past

my boy fell sick alot too cos my parents bring him to my sis's house on some days when its their turn to take care of him. He catches bugs from my niece and the other adults. I used to be so upset but less now..I tell myself that getting sick abt 6 times a year is common, esp if kid goes childcare too. and its building up their immunity.. aiyah really boh pian for me cos I am working have to rely on others. so now, I try to find out beforehand if my niece or anyone is sick. sigh, my kid goes indoor gym to play also get sick though they sanitize hands, so its almost unavoidable.

there are many days with the two of them (baby and older boy) that I feel i just waiting for the day to end when they both go to sleep... asking God for strength to get thru the day, cos we all human after all. and they grow up so fast, this will all be bittersweet memories soon..

Take care and jia you Aspialle.. sorry I so cheong hei..

Ladies, i am new here
happy.gif
i gv birth to my son on 18 jan. so he is abt 10 weeks now.

Dunno if anyone faces the same thing as me.. My son tends to hold his poo in for days. Last time we brought him tp pd for not pooping for 7 days. Now it has being 5 days.. Am hesistant to bring him in again as i heard suppository weaken his bowel. He is on 65-70% bm. Is this normal? As the days dragged on without poo, he gets more grouchy n farts alot. Damn smelly.

Bdmummy n moshimaro
Thanks for encouragement
happy.gif

Yes I'm a kan Cheong mum, if my son got fever at times I can stay up all night to ensure his fever is under control, I tried longest record is 6 days never close my eyes, hubby working so I take care both night and say. My hubby is against part time helper.. He wld prefer a maid than part time helper because of $ , he thinks its more worth it

Hi aspialle,

I hope you're feeling better now. Understand the struggles you're going through. I always console myself that all these 'hardships' are a passing phase. Same for kids falling sick, it's part and parcel of growing up. Well, all these make us appreciate our mums even more, isn't it? Try to get a helper soon. That will take away bulk of your stress
happy.gif

Hi Blissfully, welcome here! I've not encountered such constipation issue before, but I can imagine that your son must be feeling unconfortable for not pooing for so many days. Maybe try another PD for alternative opinion on how to resolve this?

Blissfully Frustated,
Sometimes it could be the fm that causes constipation, if you have some samples of other brand of milk powder, maybe you can consider switching. You can also move baby's legs in a bicycle motion to help ease it. When baby reaches 4mo, can ask doctor to ok giving small amt of prune juice to baby. Some apple juice will also help.

Sigh, my boy is the opposite! He is having slight diarrhea, passing some watery stools with each milk feed... Think it is caused by him discovering his fingers and fists being yummy and licking them.... Still wondering if should give him pacifier instead as that should be cleaner than his fingers.

Hi blissfully, could check with the PD if its suitable to give him biogaia (a probiotic). my niece has been taking it since she was a baby.. and my sis says its the reason why she has never had constipation... other than that, maybe sthg in your diet? my baby has cow's milk allergy from the cow milk I took (she's BF 100%). how I realised it was that she started having rashes, fussiness, constipation, colic, vomiting after I started taking 1 big cup of milk at breakfast. After I stopped, all the rashes cleared, symptoms improved and she started pooing more regularly.. afterall, for BF babies, they r what we eat..

bdmummy, I think its good ur baby's exploring already.. also, when they suck their fingers, they are learning to self-soothe. personally i not too keen on pacifiers, almost started for my first kid, but I dont regret not giving him. think they can speak faster becos they are given opportunity to talk and they move away from sucking as a comfort mechanism faster. Also, if cannot wean by a certain age, teeth alignment may be affected.. this is just my personal view, maybe in exchange, i have noisy noisy kids
happy.gif

Thanks fang fang, bdmummy and moshimaru22! The thing is dun think he is constipated as his stool is soft and sticky kind. And once he pooped, it will be a huge pile. He dun have the habit to pass motion everyday. Used to be alternate days but as he grows, the duration btw each motion drags on. And with each day adding on, he gets more grouchy and do alot of forcing to fart. So i am kinda concerned as he is on partial fm, understand that bb with fm tends to pass motion more often but he does seem the case.

Wow bdmummy and moshimaro22, no pacifier given? Oh no! I'd already given my boy the pacifier even before he was 1 month old. It was introduced to him cos he still fussed after his feed so the CL said cannot overfeed and that most likely he just wants to comfort suck. True enough he does calm down when the pacifier is offered. Hmmmm...

Though he is also very much interested in sucking his mittens and hands....

Hi aspialle, hopefully u r feeling much better. With this long weekend and assumingvur hubby not working, hopefully he manages to render some help to at least relieve u for these few days. Take care and do find some mental solace amongst family or friends or here. Cheers!

my baby has been refusing bottle. no matter who feeds her, she rejects. in the end, we resorted into feeding her when she is sleeping. are there any "side effects" for such feeding?

Hi its been awhile since I online. Been busy w my 2 boys. Times passes so fast less than a mth gg back work. Sian.

Anyway can mummies advice, my bb gg to turn 3mth on 8april and he got flu n cough passing down by his bro. At this age there is no medicine other than only nasal drop? He seems to be nose blocked hence no much appetite to drink esp latch. He always struggle hard to latch him now. Anyone has the same situation? Pls advice. Thanks.

Blissfully frustrated ,
My baby also have the same problem, just over this weekend he had not pooed for 5 days. The previous record was about 3 days and when he pooed it was really a big pile. Ad I agree that it does not seems to be constipattion as the poo is still soft. Basically if baby does not fuss or have tummy ache we just let him be. Only on the 4th night that he seems a bit uncomfortable we gave him a little bit of prune juice diluted with a bit of water to help him a bit. He managed to poo the next day. Once he pooed everyone cheered and he had 2 diapers full of poo poo.

Sweetdream,
Oh yes, so sian! I was also thinking that only 1 more month of ML left! The 16 weeks seem to pass very quickly and soon need to go back to work...

At 3 weeks old, pd prescribed Abrilar cough syrup for cough (1ml 3x daily) and to suck out the mucus and use Iladin nose drops. So these meds would be safe also for 3 mth.

Hi jasyln, i used to BF my first kid when he was sleeping too, ard 11 pm at nite before I went to bed. That's called dreamfeeding, found out abt it online.... very convenient.
unfortunately, my baby girl doesnt want/know how to do it..
anyway, dun think there's any side effect, except maybe when they get teeth then its not good for the teeth to be surrounded by milk..

Jaslyn, I have started dreamfeeding my boy ard 11pm if he does not wake up for milk as well, that will last him till next morn ard 4am to 6am. And helps me to have a better night's rest (haha prepping myself for when I need to return to work!).

Hi serene! I totally understand the cheer! Cos that's we do as well when he finally poops! Again, today is the 4th day w/o poop. So diluted prune juice helps? I can give it to a 2 mths plus old baby? though is it ok to do so on a regular basis as my boy seems to be not pooping very often. Now it seemed his routine to poop after 4-5 days
sad.gif

Jaslyn, my boy also went thru that phase when he was 2 mth. It was really hard to feed him cos he'll keep struggling and refuse to drink even though it was past his feeding time.. As if he's not hungry at all. That was when I resort to dream feeding as well... I'll try to keep him awake in betw feeds and let him sleep when near his feeding time. It was the only way he will drink peacefully. This went on for almost a mth.

xycartx, so is your boy feeding well now?

and im glad to know that i am not the only one out there. i was so worried that she is having reflux and i do not want to introduce any medication to her so early.

Back