(2012/02) Feb 2012

Beverly, My gf took supplements only after a few wks after delivery. She wanted to give up expressing as not much milk. But thru encouragement from friends she persisted.. She is the one who told me is nv too late.. She delivered in oct, now still expressing,

xia, tats what I did for my #1 too. But my motivations comes from my mum. My sis and I were a full bf bb. I even bf till 5yrs old. SO tat motivates me to bf my bb and nvr give up even when my supply drop substantially and I'm pregnant with #2. I force myself to complete my 1 yr bf period (even tot not full bf cos supply drop from 8mths and pregnant). Even if supply nvr increase, jus give watever u hav. BM is always better than FM.

I do hav a friend who really eat a lot lesser and cut down on fatty food jus to slim down fast. In the end she did slim down very fast but milk supply nvr increase but drop. She can only pump abt 50ml even at 3mth to 6mth so she give up in 6mths time. SO gals, pls eat more. I do slim down abt 15kg thru bf. Slimming speed up when I'm back to work cos too tired taking care of bb and work. Still hav 10kg after all the weight lost cos I put on too much weight for #1. I'm eating normal 3 meals a day and less rice for dinner. Of course will snack a bit of my favorite food in the afternoon too. Tat aldy will help in slim down. No need to cut down on diet.

Jia you gals!!! Really hope I hav gd supply for #2. Still waiting game for me. 15days more to EDD.

So gals, don give up. Keep pumping and latching. Record wat u pump down. U will be very happy to see an increase and tat will be a big motivation too.

Xia, bb seen to want more attention at night. In the day, put her alone at cot, she also ok to look ard then fall asleep. At night, she can't stay lie down n wants to be carried. I have cot mobile but no projection one.

Hazel, at night I give mixture of FM n latch. But realised last night, she was fussing because got wind in tummy. Not sure if it's because of FM, bringing her to see PD now.

Oops: I like what you said "Even if your supply nvr increase, jus give whatever u hav". WA!! You were bf till 5 years old. Your mother very power!

DId you drink red raspberry tea leaves, oops? Apparently it increases uterus strength and shortens 2nd stage of labour. Thought I had some 'action' last night cos got very close contractions - but it went off and no action till now.
sad.gif
Mucus plug not dropped yet and tomorrow is my EDD!

Hi Jen, I subscribe to another kind of sleep theory. When my #1 was born, I was quite adament about "sleep training" through a book called baby whisperer. Basically - work according to a 3 hour schedule - which includes feeding, activity, sleeping. Was also told not to carry them/ rock them to sleep, just leave them in the cot, pat them when they cry, and put them down before they are totally asleep. Feed only every 3 hours and not on demand.

Result?: DISASTER.

Baby cried until he looked like he was in shock, even my confinement lady was trying not to say I was very cruel. It went against all my instincts to continue to try this method. Thankfully my supply did not drop even though I was schedule feeding him.

Then I read about peaceful parenting. In this theory - babies CANNOT BE SPOILT if they are less than 6 months: they only have needs, not wants. And since they cannot communicate by words, the only way they can express their frustration is through crying. I also learnt that babies at this age seldom can 'fall asleep' on their own - they need to learn to self-soothe and that's why need us to pat them to sleep. When they are ready they will sleep on their own. There is also no harm, and no such thing as carrying them "too much". After all they were snug in your womb for so long so they crave to be in mommy's arms to feel secure and nested. Feeding is not their only need, physical touch is too.

Anyway for more reading you can try this: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/attachment-parenting/7-benefits-ap

After I changed my 'methods', I had a much better time with my son during my maternity leave. I carried him when he wanted, fed him on his demand. Instead of turning out to be a 'brat' as I initially feared, he grew up secure and well adjusted. These are the words of people who know my son - even the nanny who is taking care of him say that among all the children she has taken care of, he is more kind and obedient. Basically, he became a happy boy. He developed steadily in his milestones and is a joy to be around. All these with me being alone and only with the support of my husband (my mom passed away 2 years back, dad and and in laws are working so very minimal help from them).

As for wanting more attention at night, my ex CL told me it's normal - because you tend to move more in the daytime when you were carrying your baby so they get lulled to sleep more easily. At night when you're sleeping they will be more alert. It will take some time for them to adjust. Yes, keep it quieter at night with less activity. After a while, they will 'get it' that night is for sleeping.

My experience tells me I can get more sleep when I latch at night (sleep and latch) and bm is easier for their tummies but this is very individual and entirely up to your comfort level. Hope your baby gets comfy with no wind in the tummy and let us know what your PD says!
happy.gif

Serene123: our LC say put lanolin previously to help with the healing and soreness.. I think that helps. We use one that is not available at the local stores.. Medela tender care. Forum got sell. It's pretty good and SoulMummy been using it. Maybe you can consider? Just apply little bit after EBM.

orangeroses, my mum not working so she was able to latch me on demand. Tats y she can bf me for 5yrs. We modern working mums cannot do it at all. And our supply will drop, don knw y. Her supply also a lot, keep telling us proudly that when we latch on one side the other side will spray milk. FOr me only leak loh. So she say don knw y my sis and me hav so little milk. My Sis worst, supply very low and completely gone at 3mths by itself for #2. She don even hav any milk for her #1.

I also gave my #1 full bm once my supply came. I also feed on demand and carry and rock him to sleep at nite. He was able to sleep thru the nite at 3mths old with both bm and rock to sleep. Then slowly, he was able to sleep on his own while we go out of rm to do our hseworks. My parents are old so can't help cos health issues. My PIL refuses to help. So hubby and me also alone. So gd tat you boy is so obedient. My #1 was horrible. Reaching the terrible 2 stage now. Wan us to be with him at nite till he fall asleep then we can go out of rm to do hseworks. Btw, bb's pattern are more than badminton lah. Keep changing. Last time can now cannot liao. Haiz...

Really depends on individual. I know some bb can be trained to be on schedule. But I prefer to let bb choose his own schedule but mus sleep at 9.30pm.

Do u know what will happened if u go overdue?? I'm worried if I go overdue I will hav to c-sect again.

Any recommendations for a nursing pillow? Trying to nurse the baby with just couch pillows and it is causing sore neck and shoulders. Also any suggestions where to buy the pillow?
Thanks.

Opps, how long it takes for your supply to come for no 1?

Me no signs of colustrum yet. Some mummies have before deliver?

GG, my supply came in full force only on the 5th day. Slowly increase from 5ml on the 3rd day for every pump to 60ml on 5th day. My supply for #1 only jus nice for him. I only managed to start storing a bit of milk after full mth.

I think only a few mummies hav colostrum before deliver.

I only hav dirty nipples. Like many yrs nvr bath. But no matter how I rub my nipples, its only get even more dirty. Nurse say its milk but not in liquid form. More of rubber form. Can feel engorgement but when I squeeze my nipples, no milk came out. I do hav dirty nipples when pregnant with #1 too but in the end milk still comes on the 5th day.

Mummies who have given birth, how many days later we need to go back gynae check and also bring bb for pd check?

Opps, there were a couple times my nipple looks sticky and ya like dirty. Rub rub will have like sticky flakes come out but squeeze no milk though. My no 1 milk comes in also around 5 days but I gave up first few weeks when I keep getting like less than 50 ml.

Al, orangeroses and me are different. We are going for VBAC so cannot induce at all. Only way is c-sect again. Don knw whether my gynea will let me wait for how long?

GG, same same as me. Nipples super dirty. Worried bb will eat those dirty flakes when we latch them on for the 1st time.
Don give up this time ok. Jus continue to pump and give watever u hav till u completely dry up. BM always better than FM. My #1 start to fall sick once a mth when he on full FM. How I wish I can bf him for a longer period.

My gynea say cannot induce. She say even waterbag hav to break on it own or she will help to break only when I'm 5cm dilated. I do read up on VBAC and do mentioned not advisable to induce. But I do heard orangeroses's gynea did induce for VBAC cases. Tats y wan to ask orangeroses what will her gynea do for her.. If she induce, I will check with my gynea y cannot induce.

Opps: I think the dirty stuff on ur nipple will go away. I also had, but towards the end it disappear.

I could squeeze out some white liquid when I was pregnant. Not too sure whether it's milk not. Can't remember whats the progress for first time, this time appeared to be much faster, think cuz just stopped bf not long ago. Milk came in on 2nd day, 3rd day pumped abt 20ml. At the end of first week could get 150ml. So opps, no worries, this time will be better!

Opps: My gynae didn't mention anything about inducing - he is looking at it on a week by week basis. I'll let you know if/when i meet him this Friday - it's my appt this Fri and I'll be overdue by then if baby still insists not to come out!

Hi mummies,

I've the following to let go:

- Tiny Love Musical Mobile $65
- 3 tins of Similac Mum (exp Oct'13), $12 each (*$30 if taking all 3 tins)
- 2 tins of NAN 2 (exp Oct'12) $10 each
- 1 tin of Gain IQ (exp May'12) $10
- 2 btl Gerber puffs (strawberry apple and peach, exp Sep'12) $7
- Lamaze Gardenbug Foot Finder & Wrist Rattle Set @ $10
- Avent twin electronic breast pump full set $350

Kindly PM me if keen/ for pics, thanks!
happy.gif

OMG, ifc teacher jus called informing that there is 1 confirmed case of HFMD in the infant class. Lucky my #1 not in sch whole of last wk. But he hav running nose since 5 Feb. Really worried now. Somemore I'm going to due soon. Really don wan both my #1 and myself to get that virus.

orangeroses, maybe u wan to do more squats, walks and climbing stairs now? All this will help in the delivery process. They may also trigger labour if you did too much. Since your EDD is tmr, maybe u can try to squat, walk and climb stairs more for easy labour and trigger your gal to come out faster.

orangeroses, maybe u wan to do more squats, walks and climbing stairs now? All this will help in the delivery process. They may also trigger labour if you did too much. Since your EDD is tmr, maybe u can try to squat, walk and climb stairs more for easy labour and trigger your gal to come out faster.

Opps, oh my god. Lucky ur no 1 not in IFC last week. Else I'd kena will b big headache man! Esp with no 2 we can't afford them to b sick !!

Just finished off at gynae... I gained 2kgs in 1 wk!?! Sobz. BB 2.94kgs(+200g) @39 wks. Finally engaged after all my walking efforts! Woot! Doc says prob will pop tis wk... Mixed feelings... Haben buy gift from #2 to give #1 yet. Anyone tried? Any suggestions wat to buy? Heh. And FYI dry shampoo at all guardian sold out!?! Dammit! Drag too long. Onli managed to get 1 small bottle at watson's! Jialatz!

Bb whisperer book worked well for me leh. But I started late. =x mebbe not suitable for nb? And ya alot of affection/cuddle/hugs is v impt. Dun let bb cry to zzz. V ke lian... but rocking cannot overdo. Have to put down when drowsy. I had to rock bb to slp till 10mths and hard time weaning off rocking but no choice also cos preggy and bb getting heavier. V tiring! Must let bb learn to ownself fall asleep. My bb was spoilt rotten cos I over believe in the no amt of rocking in 1st 6 mths can spoil bb and Neva learn to let go. i cannot stand hear bb cry at all. Tried weaning off b4 at 3 mths... Total failure so just continued... Guess moderation is the key? But she sure is a happy kid like orangerose's #1! Keke. Onli recently same as Opps' #1. Hahhaa become koala bear! Sticky like glutinous rice! Dun let me go out today. =.=" Also dun overlatch. Latch too often bb become snacker. Mine will latch 5 mins and den 1 hr later wan latch again kind. Mebbe dun happen to alot pple though but is wat I encountered. I latch on to slp also. One period of time bb wake every hour to use me as pacifier to go bac to zzz till I wean her off the breast cos preggy. hope tis time round will b better!

I also have alot dirty stuff on nipple leh. Onli can wash off in shower. If dry try to scratch out sensitive sia! Keke. Issit clean for bb to latch if I leave it alone? I clean out le will kip coming bac... =(

Orangerose - how old ur #1 ah?

Opps - ur mum v steady leh. U latch or ur mum pump out BM for u?

Hazel - so just throw inside the soup? Nid to do anything to the bones b4 hand?

xia, last time no pump machine. I latch on fully. Till my mum dry up when I'm 5yrs old and I still request to suck for comfort. Hehee....

Yup, that dirty stuff keeps coming back very fast after I bath and clean. I will feel contractions when I clean leh. Nipple stimulation will trigger contraction!!! So I don dare to clean so often. I do let my #1 latch directly from my dirty breast leh. Cos in hospital cannot clean that well infront of the nurse lah. Paisei!

My hubby bought a set of new clothings for my #1 and will say from #2. Aldy wrap nicely and put inside my delivery bag liao. -_^

Otangeroses #1 same age as your #1. Will be 17mths when her #2 born.

Happy Valentines' Day!!!

Xia, thanks for the useful tips to increase milk supply. Think discipline is the key in successful breastfeeding. Am just too lazy to pump every 2-3 hrs although many experienced mums has advised me to do so......sigh! Nowadays FM is damn expensive so I must try harder to produce more milk!!!

Hazel, ya we shouldn't give up so easily.....jia you!

Re fish soup, my mum would use sesame oil to pan fry the fish before adding water to boil the soup...not fishy at all
happy.gif

beemummy, I bought my nursing pillow last week. Got it from KKH pharmacy and they are having a promotion now....less than $70 for MyBrestFriend.....but only left 2 when I bought it so not sure if they still have stock now. I find using nursing pillow is helpful and I feel more relaxed now when latching my baby.

OOps: Good memory on how old is my #1!
happy.gif
Yes I have been going out everyday walking but she just wants to stay in leh. Actually my EDD was a bit muffled - at first said it's 21st Feb but later it moved forward. Tt was because my period wasn't very regular around the time I conceived. So maybe she is not THAT late? hmm (trying to make myself feel better)

Xia: Yep, my #1 is turning 17 months tomorrow - and tt is my EDD as well?! hahaha! I used JW as my gynae the first time too! ;) Anyway ya they are going through a developmental phase now so will be more cranky/ clingy but sld be fine in a moment.

Dear all

Does anybody knows any good english tuition around marine parade , bedok or east area, as my child is having psle this year .......and her grade was not improving ... extremly worried
sad.gif

Things to do:

1. Register bb name
2. Fill in the bb bonus form
3. Book catering for full mth
4. Order cakes for full mth
5. Buy full mth voucher for people who give gifts
6. Send out invite to friends full mth celebration

All have to complete by this week.

Hi all,
I popped last mon (6 Feb) to my tiny girl, weighing just 2.65kg!
happy.gif
she's my #2.
She's such a feisty gal, my nipples cracked since day 2.. It's super painful now, and I can see blood in the milk when I pumped. I am thinking of pumping to let them heal 1st, but worried she wont wanna latch next time... Any advice??
Thankssssss so much!

Hi orangeroses, thanx for the advice! Think I must go read up on the baby whisperer. Hope my gal could be like your son! Bb first visit to PD today was assuring. At least now I know wat was wrong wif her. PD said I overfed bb wif the hrly on demand feeding n Also bb was suffering from mild Constipation due to Enfalac supplement. PD ask me to let bb drink abt 100mls per day so it's abt 10-15mls each time to help digestion. Any other mummies taking enfalac for their babies too? Not sure how to not let bb overfed, try giving her water in substitute for milk, but bb quite smart leh, drink a bit and then din want anymore. Hahaha.

Xia, think my gal is exactly wat u describe as snacker now,like marathon buffet- latch a bit n then fall asleep sucking my nipple. Then wake up in a hr or so, want to feed again.

Beemummy- I'm using my best friend pillow as well. It's good as it keeps your back upright n you dOn have to carry baby during latching. I just put my gal on top of pillow n let her latch. The pillow is a bit on the ex side though, if you r on budget, can consider getting From chewie.
happy.gif

Heya Jen, sorry I don't think sld feed newborns water leh. see http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/baby-water.html:

For newborns (especially under 4-5 weeks), water supplements can be risky

Babies under two months should not be given supplemental water.
Water supplements are associated with increased bilirubin levels in jaundiced newborns.
Too much water can lead to a serious condition called oral water intoxication.
Water supplements fill baby up without adding calories, so water supplements can result in weight loss (or insufficient weight gain) for the baby.
Babies who get water supplements are less interested in nursing. If baby is not nursing as often as he should, it will take longer for mom's milk to come in and can delay or prevent mom from establishing an optimum milk supply.

For babies past the newborn stage

Too much water can interfere with breastfeeding because it fills baby up so that he nurses less. Babies need the nutrition and calories in breastmilk to grow - water has none of these.
Breastmilk has all the water your baby needs, even in very hot weather.
When your 4-6 month old baby is learning to use a cup, giving him a few sips of water a couple of times a day (no more than 2 ounces per 24 hours) is fine and fun.
Once baby starts solids, you might want to give him a few sips of expressed milk or water with his solids - some babies need this to prevent constipation.

Anyway, sorry I must have confused you! the baby whisperer didn't actually work for me. hee hee. it worked for xia though!
happy.gif
So it probably depends if your baby works well with the method. Mine didn't!

Orangeroses, the article does say the risk but then how? PD said give leh. Maybe I add a bit in my ebm n give bb instead? Bb start fussing again, notice its always at this hr, could it be colic?

Jen - mite b just wind. U try massage the tummy? Should help with the constipation also. Can also Cycle her legs or Try put her over your shoulder and pat her also? U got watch the dunstan video? Can differentiate her cry? If really Bo Bian den let her snack ba. I tink tats by far the best cure to all cries(can tell I really hate hearing bb cry? Cos tis was my solution for #1) =x mebbe she wan pacifier? when she bigger and better the time den try drag feeding timing apart ba. Must trial and error see which works better for u. But snacking every hr really v tiring for the mummy. Hope ur bb get better soon! =) btw the bb whisperer book I din follow v strictly cos must see circumstance for bb also and adjust accordingly. I read 3 bks on sleeping probs for bb when my #1 was abt 5 mths(she onli cat naps in the afternoon and slps v little compared to other bbs) and bb whisperer is so far wat I liked best cos it emphasizes on treating bb how u would like to b treated. Must ask orangerose for the title of the book she read. Heh. All the best!!!

Opps, orangerose - waaaa our #1 age all v near! So qiao! Heh. Tink we quite efficient eh? ;p

Opps - ur mum really v li hai!!! I dun tink I got the patience to do it for so long. And can latch for comfort?!? U v nottie ah! Hehe. I din notice whether my nipple was dirty for #1 not. If can just dun clean and latch I dun clean liao. Sensitive sia!

Orangerose - I love jw. #1 I also with her. Scarli we see each other at acj b4. Keke. she's really comforting and spends time explaining alot of my weird questions and most imptly She allows me to drink 1 can coke a day =x. So #2 I just stick to her. Her onli prob is waiting time long! Today my appt delayed for 1.5 hrs... Paul next door nia v near. Mebbe we still bump into each other but dunno. Heh. Btw u inducing later or waiting? Ur bb engaged le?

Beverly - thanks! Will ask my mummy to try tat if I cannot tahan the fishy taste. =)

Smiling merlion - grats and welcome! =)

GG - ur #1 is how old ah? wat toy u bot? I bot soft toy but I scared My #1 dun like.

Yeocouple - tink if ur bb latches on well from the start den shouldn't b a prob to pump and bottle feed for 1-2 days to let nipple heal. I did tat for my #1. But tink I still latch her at least once a day on the not so pain side. Cannot really remember. She was still able to latch afterwards and prefers latching to bottle. Ultimately still up to individual bb I guess. some pple would prefer cup/syringe feeding to b on the safer side so as to avoid nipple confusion.

Back