(2011/01) Jan 2011

R u mummies sterilizing yr soft shields? Sterilizing them will make them turn yellow and degrade very fast. No such prob with the standard hard plastic shields.

grumpus,

i sterilized the shield with hot boil water everytime i use..may be i should stop sterilize it..not cheap to replace, 36dollar per shield.

Medela softfit>

I have been sterlizing mine in pigeon sterilizer after every use too. Also turned yellow. I bought the personalfit and have been using it for 2 weeks already. No problem. Its abt 23.90 if u get it at first few years.

Hi,

I called the medela distributor last week, apparently not suppose to use sterilizer to sterlise any part of the pump (valves, membranes, bottles, breastshield). Just use boiling water. I'm using the hard plastic shield also.

Hi Cookiefleur, grumpus and Sputnik,

are the hard ones ok? the feeling and all? am afraid will be painful or discomfort..

Kimmyksc, i bot these shields from online, cost cheaper either from littlethinkies or prettymoms.com

medela pump

last nite i forgot to wipe my kit (the part that attach to shield) dry before pumping. now i see some water droplets in the tubing. any idea how to get the water droplets out? apparently the tubing is not for sale!! worry if the water reaches the motor, it'll spoil it.

i use hot water to sterilise cuz mum refuse to let me put a steriliser at her place. so far haven't turn yellow.

honestly, it's quite hard to maintain the pump cuz i start to see the shield go out of shape after 2 weeks of usage. if you get the shield from Lengleng's spree, it cost around $14 (US$10 for soft, US$12 for hard) per pair w/o factoring shipping and postage. am waiting for her spree as it is cheaper than getting from first few years even w the VIP card 10% discount.

chabby - for water droplets in the tubing, just on the pump (without attaching the breastshield) and let it run for a few minutes. The droplets will dry out.

Lily - i've been using the hard breastshield all along, for my number 1 i pumped for 1 year. It's ok for me, but i hv not tried the softfit so i dunno how it feels like.

hi Chabby get it from littlethinkies another cheaper alterative as Leng Leng spree just over and after ordering need to wait for 3-4 weeks at least..

Lily> I find the personalfit ok, no problem with it. Dun feel that its hard or what cos the nipple not touching the hard part anyway, only the aerola.

Yeah tanlengleng much cheaper but her parts spree not on now and need time for shipping also.

luckymummy

cannot use water that is boiling. was told by saleserpson at first few years that it is best to use 60 degree temperature. so i'll boil water and let it cool for a while before dipping it in to sterilise. mine is still the same colour as it is.

i use the glass bottles i got from hospital or NUK bottles to attached to the pump. my medela bottles are brand new and never been use before as the material is lousy. it's actually compatible

thanks for your recommendation. will take a look at the other BPs. =)

me using the Avent bottles as i bot the convertor from Leng leng spree..

other than tat i use milk bags to store [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

thanks cookiefleur i will buy the personalfit nex round wait for TLengLeng spree first now i still hav a spare to use first.

I'm using pigeon sterilizer to sterilize my medela pump parts and bottles. So far still ok leh. I called medela previously and they say it is advisable to use hot water but it's not a no no to use sterilizer.

Hi mummies, may I know how much milk is your bb drinking at 2 wks? I'm now quite frustrated w my mil as she kept saying I didn't feed my bb enough, when I've already fed her 80ml bm just 1.5 hrs ago. Normally my gal will sleep around 3 hrs if she drinks that amt. Is it really not enough???? Any mummy can enlighten me? I'm really very Lost as to how much Milk I shd give my bb each time, and each time is always a trial n error amount.

Chabby, thanks for sharing your experience on fenugreek. I'm really hoping my bm ss will increase soon so tt I can catch up wif my bb gal's demand, n hopefully with that, my mil can stop her irritating nagging about me not giving enough milk for my bb.

Chabby: You just detach the funnel from the tubing and turn on the motor. The motor will 'blow' the vapour out of the tubes.

Yotsuba: 80ml and 3 hrs of sleep is good. So, I think you got the right amt. I am also feeding my girl same amt when she is bottle fed at night and she can last 2h 45 min to 3 plus hrs with that amt. Or u can do trial and error by giving her another 10 ml. If she can fnish and last a bit longer than, maybe her appetite has increased.

hi gals,

my medala pumps has lasted 2 baby, this is the 3rd one. the shield i sterilise it after every use for my 1st baby, no problem even after 2 months. now got a new shield, but bcos so many bottles to sterilise, I use hot water to pour into the funnel only now and sterilise it at the end of the day. dont notice it yellowing.

julia,

might as well u read the cookbook, ask her to buy the ingrediant and u boil the soup yourself. some are pretty easy to do with slowcooker. My this round confnement also follow cookbook.

hi mummies!

wow so much activity here...i haven't been on the internet ever since i delivered on 18 Jan.

Envy you gals who can still manage to come into the forum.

My first few days were torturous...breastfeeding is tiring, waking up a few times a nite, plus CL is not giving us the trust.

As a 1st time mum going thru all these, i really salute those who can have more than 1 kid!

Anyway my princess is 10 days old, and i'm slowly getting used to her feeding pattern.

Now just praying that my milk supply will increase.

How much can u all pump in 1 session?

It's been day 10 after delivery and i can only get max 50-60ml per session (both sides).

Is this normal? Is it possible for supply to increase later?

Yotsuba, mayb u shud chk with the PD on how much to feed? Diff babies of diff weight need diff amounts of milk.

There is a formula to calculate how much milk ur baby needs. check this out:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-how-much-formula-your-baby-needs_9136.bc

And be careful not to overfeed ur baby, they can get this thing called GERD. Doesn't mean baby drinks everything and doesn't vomit mean he's ok.

Yotsuba

My boy is also taking 80ml of EBM and he is 2 weeks old, this can last him 2-3 hrs. I'm trying to increase to 90ml but he can't finish. So will matintain at 80ml as yet.

Hi,

My gal sleeps a lot, so we usually hv to wake her up every 3 hours to drink. Does any know, for eg if she starts drinking at 6pm, but takes 30 mins to drink meaning she finishes at 6.30pm, the 3 hrs should start from 6pm or 6.30pm?

mine is 3week+ old. he is taking 90ml of FM and will last him 2hrs. BM will last only 1+hr cuz more watery.

Hi mummies & MTBs,

Anyone interested in getting a neck float for your baby?

Comes in 3 designs:

Winnie the Pooh

Disney Princess

Thomas and Friends

Will order only if MOQ is met.

Each at $16, kindly PM me or email me at [email protected].

Thanks [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5066681.jpg][IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5066682.jpg][IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5066683.jpg]

Hi Mummies,

Sorry to interrupt this thread.

I am selling my Medela Freestyle pump (US set). Purchased in Sep 2010, used less than 10 times as I prefer to use manual pump. Selling for S$380.

Contains the following:

1. Medela Freestyle Pump (pump, black tote bag with buttercream trim, tubing, 4 collection bottles in a DayCarrier with a cooling element, handsfree pumping accessories, 1 pair of Soft Fit Breastshield

2. 1 piece of Personal Fit Breastshields for Medela Freestyle Breastpump - Size 27mm

3. 1 piece of Medela Easy Expression Bustier Bra - White - Medium (never use before)

4. 1 set of Avent conversion kit (can use avent bottles instead of Medela bottles)

Kindly PM me if interested.

My baby poo only one time yesterday and all along till now he has been making grunting sound and his face will turn all red. I noe he is trying poo but till now nothing comes out..any advice?

Yotsuba, every bb is different, if ur bb is satisfied after the feed, mouth doesn't move after feeding then e amt u gave is enuff. U can try to increase gradually.. 10ml per feed.

My gal is 10 days old, just started her on 100ml bm every 3 hrly cos her mouth kept moving n she wakes up sometimes less than 3 hrly. It's all abt trial n error n must exercise caution nt to overfeed as bb may puke.

Medela shield, mine also turn yellow.. Haiz! I didn't sterilize only use hot water to sterilize for 5 min. I feel that the soft one is more comfy, softer on the breast.

hi mummies, are you giving your baby the 5 in 1 or 6 in one jab? My Pd offers 1 complete package including other non compulsory jabs too but its $1600. Was thinking shld i just bring baby to polyclnic for vacinnations instead?

Littltpigpig, i'm bringing my boy to kkh children pte clinic for vaccination. They hav e 6-in-1 jab. Polyclinic only hav 5-in-1. How come ur pd charge so much? Kkh dun hav pkg one, they charge by per vaccination. Dis is e estimated cost i got from e nurse:

6-in1 at 2 mths : $90

5-in-1 & PCV at 4 mths : $150

6-in-1 & PCV at 6 mths : $200

PCV at 12 mths : $100

MMR at 15 mths : $20

5-in-1 booster at 18 mths : $50

Is it normal for pd to charge so much for vaccination?

medela tube got buble water:

i blow the water out and air dry it. It may cause the motor spoil according to the lady from medela service center. The rubber tat pumping when we on it also will have some water pump into the tube, i air dry after use then wont sterilise tat part for next use since it milk won't pass by there. I sterilise with boil water only. Very ma fan to sterilise every use..

Vaccination.

I bring my baby to polyclinic. Now polyclinic has 6in1 already, cost 360, 5in1 cost 320. Now polyclinic will also recommend the pneumococcal, this injection alone cost 160. Polyclinic charges is so much cheaper than PD. Tat day bring baby to check jauntice, see nurse and doctor, cost only 10.10, then bring baby see PD cos there is a lump at her bottock, it's caused by BCG injection but dunno at tat time, so nervous dunno wat is tat lump. No medicine, see PD only, cost me 50dollar. I brought my baby for hepatitis 2nd dose at policlinic, cost 22dollar only.

Medela shield,

the medela freestyle is soft or hard shield. I dunno got diff type. Dunno how to buy.

Littlepigpig, PCV is pneumococcal. It's a compulsory jab from 4 mths onwards.

Kimmyksc, i juz brought my boy for his last jaundice chk at polyclinic yest. Asked doc abt 6-in-1 n he say polyclinic dun hav it. Only 5-in-1. Dunno how true izzit. Anyway my boy was given appt for hep b 2nd dose. Doc say if we wan to go for 6-in-1 can wait till he 2 mths, as long as i'm not hep b carrier. If mum is hep b carrier den baby need hep b 2nd dose at 1 mth.

Thank u mummies for your input on the amt of milk your babies r taking. It sure is reassuring to know I'm not starving my girl. I'm now Doing direct latching, feeding ebm n fm as and when required, so it's kind of confusing just calculating how much I'm giving my kid, esp when I want to give ebm or fm after latching but always need to guess how much to top up.

Siti,

i learn this 2 tricks from TV.

method 1:

1. use any lotion or even (cooking) sesame oil. put abt a 20 cent amt on palm

2. rub the lotion/oil in palm until hot.

3. rub the baby's tummy in clockwise direction for a min or so.

...4. repeat step 2-3 a few times. add lotion or oil when u feel necessary.

Wait to see for results. the mum who tried this said that her girl poo-ed alot the next morning.

method 2:

1. use vaseline, and apply some around the anus.

2. massge the area around anus using your thumb.

it is said that as you massage, the poo whill start to peek out.

hope this helps.

Kimmy

the one that comes w freestyle is the soft shield. you went to the PD i send you is it? how's the PD? like you, i intend to bring mine to polyclinic for jab, then any problem see PD.

mummies,

u can call the 6355 3000 to make appt for polyclinic. they'll cal you back and help register your baby over the phone. tell you what to bring for appt.

LZZ,

I also asked the polyclinic they say they dun ve 6-in-one jab. Asked me to do 5-in-one only. Anyone know if what the doc at the polyclinic check baby for at 1 mth? If i gg for 6 in one jab which includes hep B at 2nd mth, do I still need to bring baby for 1st mth check up?

vaccination:

weird then...the polyclinic i went have 6in1. When i bring my baby for 1month jap, din c doctor, nurse ask if i got anything need to consult doctor, which i dun have except baby face got rashes which is normal as per the nurse..

Chabby,

yaya..i went to the PD tat u gave me. Quite gd business but her charges not cheap...

Chabby,

I thought I was the only one until I read your post about baby crying even harder if you carry him unless during latching then quiet, & your parents having to step in to pacify.

My baby also somehow wails even louder whenever I carry her, & even uses her hands to push me away. I have timed her, she can cry non-stop in my arms for half an hour but once my ILs take over, she immediately stops crying. In addition to feeling inadequate as a mum, I am also angry why baby is ok with ILs. (It is not that I carry baby wrongly, all of us carry almost the same manner.) If this goes on, I am so going back to work already cos I do not feel any emotional attachment to baby. But I am also pissed that baby will get even closer to ILs (I do not like them). What a dilemma! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Kimmy; may I know which poly u went for 6 in 1 ? I have appointment next week at Sgh and need to decide over weekend whether to go poly or Sgh for vaccination . Sgh say it is are 500 dollar and if poly is 360 then I will go for it. Any idea what 6pm 1 includes?

chercat,

dun feel pissed over this, my baby sometime also like tat, actually it's not bcos they dun like us, i take it as she behave badly infront of mummy. When i took over again from in law, my baby was ok and even fall asleep fast..they always say baby can sense ur mood, may be cos of u feel like go back to work, baby not happy also..

Sherill,

i went to bukit batok polyclinic. Update tml abt the 6in1 vacin list..how's ur baby? We got the same age baby rite? My baby now refuse to sleep after nite feed at 10plus, wan to carry, and sleep at 12plus, but gd thing is she sleep longer hour at nite, like now, she still sleeping and din ask for milk..

Hi ladies,

When do you stop waking up yr bb to drink? I hv to wake up my bb most of the time every 3 hrs to drink as she sleeps a lot. Wondering when she will begin to wake up on her own when she hungry.

chercat,

do u BF? could it be the baby smell us and then wan to tell us "feed me, feed me" cuz they recognize our smell? so cry louder in response?

it feels frustrating but dun give up ok? that's what i keep telling myself. if i'm losing my nerves, i'll ask some1 else to take over. take over when i feel better to care for him.

kimmy

yeah.. BB polyclinic have.. yeah! dun have to travel so far down since i live behind the CSC hill. =)

was told that the PD biz quite good. remember to use your CDA acct to pay for Khloe's visit. they accept payment from CDA acct.

sputnik

dun need to wake baby up at nite. only feed on demand basis at nite so as to train the baby to go longer w/o feed to sleep thro the nite.

i dun wake baby up for feed. he's pretty punctual in waking up to get his feed. he'll wake earlier if 1.)he vomit in the previous feed, 2.) the feed was purely breast milk, 3.)he left more than 1/3 of the 3-4oz that we fed him.

Kimmy,

U so lucky to hv yr baby sleep quite a bit at 1 stretch at night! If I remember correctly, yr baby is on full breastmilk too right?My 18 day old baby wakes up every 2 hrs for milk, and his 2 hrs is frm the time he wakes up to the next time he wakes up. So by the time I latch + change diaper + burp + he falls asleep, I'm only left with an hr 15mins for myself to sleep. Worse still if I hv to spend time to pump out some milk so the flow won't be too fast for baby the next round. Sigh it's the same story every night. Any suggestions ladies??

chelleybaby,

how about expressing it in advance for nite feed. so some1 else can feed the baby for u. u can rest.

Back