(2011/01) Jan 2011

Charleen,

My flow is still regulating but it's much better now than 2 wk ago. At least I dun get painful lumps n engorgement n dun leak as much anymore. Now if I latch my bb within 2.5-3hr, the flow is just nice for her. If exceed 3hr then it gets a bit messy already.

U can pump out n store wats in yr right breast but by doing tat u r giving the signal tat more needs to be produced when actually u haven't even begun to feed yr bb from tat breast.

Really depends on wat u want to do lor, if u want some spare to store then u can do tat, or r u trying to regulate to just enough for yr bb.

Charleen,

I'm also facing the same prob as you. Baby don't feed for long plus it's a constant struggle for him to latch on most of the time plus he has to gulp down the milk cuz the flow is so fast, end up taking in alot of wind then cry and cry v hard like in pain. Sigh. But I'm trying to follow the link that grumpus gave. As my boy feeds at unpredictable intervals, I use a 5 hrly guideline, so within that 5 hrs, i will only offer the same breast. My other breast will be v hard and painful so I will hand express just a bit as per the advice frm the website.

Alternatively as the 1st feed frm the super full breast will be v strong flow for the baby, I give EBM. I see how much he drinks and then pump out the exact amt.

Today is only day 2 of this method and baby still cries alot but website says it'll take abt a week to see results.

A few of my friends also hv this prob with their babies, realised a common trait, their babies are relatively smaller than others at birth. My son was only 2.52kg at birth. Guess tt could be the reason ba.

If the situation doesn't get better then I'll just bottle feed EBM all the way, and maybe try latching again when he is older at 2 mths. Else really v stressful for both baby and me. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

chelleybaby,

u r right! it is a prob with smaller bbs cos their appetites are smaller. my girl was 2.49kg at birth. but now she's hit 3kg already and i find she manages a lot better, in addition to using the techniques on the website.

dun stress too much. if u hv to pump and feed ebm then no choice. at least bb still get the benefits of BM. my #1 was 1.86kg at birth only. she totally cannot handle the flow at all. I pumped and bottle fed her for one yr.

Daphne,

thanks for updating the table! Pls add my details too. My baby Daniel was born on 11jan via induction, 2.52kg, 48cm.

Grumpus,

our babies were born on the same day! But my son is only 2.8+kg now as compared to yr girl's 3kg. I'm looking forward to him growing bigger then latching won't be so difficult! I must hang in there!!

I have been bottle feeding bb with ebm due to secondary postpartum haemorrhage five days after delivery. As need more rest. Now he is so used to bottle n getting frustrated with direct latch on. Maybe he knows he has to work harder for milk with direct latch on...really has to depend on his mood. Is 100ml every 2+ to 3hrs a big drinker, he is 16days old now. Demand is higher than supply now [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] supply does not seem increasing le.. Only abt100ml each pump from both sides.

Daphne:Hi please do update my details as follows -

Baby Daylen

Weight: 2.94kg

HC: 34cm

Feeding

I cannot stand it any longer! My inlaws are overfeeding the bb! My bb used to have a schedule, going by every 3 hrs feed. Since I'm taking night shifts and hb went back to work, I left it to them to feed the bb in the day and when I woke up from my nap just now, I was horrified to find that they fed my bb at 4pm (full bottle feed) and then tried to stick him the bottle again at 5.45pm! I was like WTH.... Already told them its 3 hrly feed, why don't they understand? They really think that I will starve my son mah?

kimmy

i've yet to activate. how do i activate it?

so i just have to bank in $$ into OCBC account will do?

my baby's first appt at polyclinic is 8th Feb. dunno in time to do a not.

Bethel,

Every babies are different, if your bb is satisfied with the 60ml and can last 2-3 hr, then continue to do so, until bb feels dissatisfied ( moving the mouth after feeding) then u try to increase the feed.

To all Mummies,

Any of you feeding your EBM to your #1 bb ? My MIL says there is wind in our EBM and not suitable for #1 until after confinement, is it true ?

Daphne,

Thanks for updating the table. My BB gal weighs 3.2kg

Hihi...back home today!

Just tried my new freestyle, but it makes my nipples really enlarged n painful.

Would like to ask if anyone knows the reason why.

Is it the shield size not correct or...?

I used to use PISA but no problem.

Wonder any medela user can advise...Thanks!

Gingersnap,

How old is yr #1? Mine is 3 yr old, I added ebm into her milk for several days. Dun see any diff. In fact the ebm is so watery for her is really drink for 'fun' only.

How can our ebm hv wind n not suitable for older kid but #2 bb ok to drink? Sorry I think it's nonsense.

Hi guys, someone gave me a brand new babysafe playpen mattress which i dont need... but my maid opened it and threw away the plastic bag so i cannot exchange it for something else.

The size is 28in X 41in X 1in ( 70cm x 104cm x 2.5cm). It comes with a bed cover (pink and green) also brand new.

I'm trying to let it go at ard $80 (original retail is around double this at kiddy paloace). PM me for more info.

It can be used as a simple mattress on the floor for daytime naps, etc if you are looking for something like that.

Thanks!!

Hi,

Does anyone know if we can drink DOM if we are breastfeeding? My CL say can drink as long as i give it 2 hrs before expressing the milk. Is this true?

Can I check for mummies express their milk when do you stop? when d milk flow slowdown or wait for last drop of milk?cos I amcan keep pumping n stillve milk but very slow down7poltroon alread .'

Hi Littlepigpig, I initially express milk for half hr each time but very painful after a while, so I will stop when my nipples feel sore. That is also usually when the milk flow decreases and becomes very little. There will still be some leakage but its normal. Just remember to wear your breast pads will do.

Thanks grumpus! I also thot it that way.. I didn't add though but gave her full bottle cos I think freezing is troublesome.

Anyway, I would think if we go to a pd they would say it's gd. Lol.

Little pigpig, I also hv the same question as u. I Pump for half an hr every 3 hrly but the total flow will come within 15 min now. I am also wondering if by pumping only 15-20 mins will decrease the milk flow eventually?

hi mummies,

a horrible 2nd day. baby butt is still raw and red. most probably diaper rash. we tried using cloth diaper and airing of butt. but with this rainin weather, i've exhausted all my cloth diapers (20pc) and need to get a new pack of 12pc.

i noticed that his poo is:

- watery and green. the last 2 days.

- there's even something that looks a little bloody like lochia discharge although it has decrease.

- he cry after poo-ing which din occur in the past.

All these are not normal for a baby who is near 1 mth rite?

heart pain pain and exhausted.

Hi mummies & MTBs,

Interested in getting a neck float for your baby?

Comes in 3 designs:

Winnie the Pooh

Disney Princess

Thomas and Friends

Each at $16, kindly PM me or email me at [email protected]

Thanks [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5077838.jpg][IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5077839.jpg][IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5077840.jpg]

Chabby: I asked same Q abt green poo few weeks ago n asked poly doc n nurses today! They say it is normal with breast feeding babies as long as the poo n pee regularly [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] watery is ok but hard stools or constipation needs attention!

Sherill

thank you. came back from PD jus now.

here's what the PD share:

1. if baby vomit, it's usually becuz he's TOO HUNGRY not becuz of overeating. so shld do on demand feeding. this will reduce him vomiting

2. stools contain 2 colours, green and yellow. green is becuz of FM and yellow is becuz of BM. it's more watery for BM fed babies.

3. it's ok to feed baby gripwater. can mix in milk or feed (or mix w water) directly.

4. not necessary to wear cloth diaper to clear nappy rash. jus change diapers regularly. PD gave a tube of desitin (blue) for his use.

5. if there's blood in stools, there are a possible causes. a.)if your nipples have cracked and bled b.)allergies to food/FM c.)need to rush to hospital

6. a good weight gain is 1kg a month. mine is now 5.47kg. PD say he fat fat for a baby that's not really a month yet.

Chabby: ur welcome ! My baby is six week today n increased exactly 1 kg since birth now and is 3.7 kg today! Doc said it is good enough[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

For green stools , I noticed clearly it was yellow with FM after meconium and changed to green as I increased BM after 5-6 days of birth. So I still agree with y nurse it may be because of BM n something I am eating.

How is ur baby now ?

chabby,

u need to bank in money into cda account, and also need to activate at polyclinic, they will have a special counter called *finance xxxx*, think is counter 11 (bukit batok polyclinic).

wow, 5kg baby..must be very chubby

akaysha,

older ppl really like that. when I started to train my baby for 3hour interval, MIL hint me say baby too small lar, then say baby hungry, tat's y cranky blah blah blah...then i insist to make it 3 hour +-15minutes, then MIL has no choice. cos it's normal when baby cranky, cranky doesn't mean hungry wat...she can ask baby hungry issit..which she just feed her 1hour plus ago..

sherill,

did your baby's face get rashes? nurse from polyclinic told me it's normal.just worried is some allegy due to my food intake. I dun remember what I ate cos now giving her with those milk that I pump out in early Jan

Hi mummies, does your baby get cranky at a certain part of the day? I'm now having problem wif my girl. She gets cranky at around 10.30pm at night, then after we fed her 85ml of her usual intake of milk, she still fussed n cries for more milk. We then gave her 45ml, then 30ml, then another 30ml and it goes on until she finally sleeps. I'm so afraid i m overfeeding her. The rest of the day she is ok wif just 85ml, but at night she demands like twice the intake. Is this actually normal? Any mummies experiencing this too??

Oh ya, and she starts getting cranky at 10.30pm, n won't go to sleep until 1+ or 2am. It's really tiring if it continues like that. And stupid me actually forgot to ask doc when we brought her for jaundice check at polyclinic today!

Hi yotsuba,

My little gal too... Usually she full after about 25-30mins direct latch on... But at night (mine start at ard 11) she will start feeding n feeding n feeding till ard 1am... Fcos I run out of bm after around 1.5 hrs of marathon feeding.. So husband had to warm up 50 ml of ebm to feed her.. She also super cranky n hungry... E rest of e day she is guai guai one ley.. Dun get it...

Kimmy: no my baby face is fine .... No rashes so far! Could it be due to heating things u r eating ? EBM should be fine though.

Also, last week I noticed she can recognize me n talk to me looking directly into my eyes. Yesterday after vaccination at poly she talk to me for 5 min making faces as if complaining abt what happened to her n how painful it was !

Even just now after feeding her she talk to me n saw in my eyes for quite long [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] this sure happens when I talk to her touching her chin n cheeks [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Very rewarding after 40 days of confinement n sleepless nights ;)

yotsuba,

my baby also like that. Last time I'm like you, keep feeding her. now i don't. Actually she just wan us to carry her to sleep. so everynite, we gotto cary her, walk around till she completely sleep at around 12-1am..My massage lady told me sometime it's bcos when we pregnant, we din sleep early, so is something like *tai jiao*. I really watch tv till 12amplus last time when she is still inside my stomach. now suffer lor.

Sherill,

I brought her to polyclinic today, just to ensure that it's normal. Doctor say rashes is normal and it will only gone by 2-3 months old. the rashes on her face sometime very obvious, sometime nope and sometime gone.

My MIL always say baby cold, she will cover her with blanket without the fan on. but these few days raining, unlikely is heaty, hopefully is not about alergy..so far so good.

ya ya, my baby also seems recognized me. she will also look at me, but very funny part is when she 皱眉头, as if im some stranger...very funny..i love to look into her eyes too..and yes, very rewarding after the sleepless nights...

To all mummies,

Wish you have a prosperous new year 2011!!! Babies all healthy healthy, mummies all slim-ie slim-ie..

hi mummies..

both my elder son & baby dwn wit runny nose & cough.. pity them especially my bb.. went to c doc jus nw..all 3 incl me c doc at 1 shot cos i oso gg to kena sick..

chabby, ur bb is reali v cute chubby one ar..

my bb oso nw only 3 wks old, chk his weight gain 1kg oready.. my thinking was like wow..so fast 1kg..isit too much? nw he 4.6kg.

anyone did tandem nursing? its v tiring as i tandem nurse both sons..sometimes will feed both at one time wen my elder insists & wudnt wanna wait.. nt to mention e sleepless nites..

Hi,

If my gal falls asleep while I'm bottle feeding her with EBM, shld i try to wake her up to finish the milk? Or put her back in her cot to sleep?

Sherill

baby is better. =) his diaper rash has clear quite well. we try using cotton wool to clean his butt and change diaper more regularly. his poo also look better/normal before his "not-well" saga.

kimmy

he is very heavy.. dun really se his face very chubby. dunno why mine is such a heavy weight champion even after birth. but PD reassure me and say once the vaccination comes in, will most probaby loss some weight/slow down his weight gain.

sputnik

we'll sit the baby up to burp him/shake our thighs which he is sitting on/turn the bottle. so he'll wake up and continue to drink. try to ensre your gal is full. if not you'll not get a 2-3hr rest.

How many days of strict confinement (no hair wash no shower no touch water drink only red dates) does u ladies follow? 28days 30 days or 40 days?

How many days of strict confinement (no hair wash no shower no touch water drink only red dates) does u ladies follow? 28days 30 days or 40 days?

Hi Kimmy, I tried to educate my inlaws liao, but its hard to keep track,cuz I nap in the day and they take over. Once I go into the room, sigh... They will try to feed the bb every chance they can till one day I really was angry and bring the bb into the room and look after myself jus to make my point... Sigh... why they so stubborn and dun wanna listen de? Make me so headache...

Yotsuba:

My bb also gets cranky, usually from 6 to 9am... and makes me lose sleep cuz of that. What I try to do is carry him and walk around the house or sing to him. Otherwise will put him on my bed to sleep with us. As long as he doesn't cry we will just leave him alone...

Chabby:

Try using Destinin diaper cream, and air the butt for about an hour. It helps to ease the diaper rash on the butt and really works!

Nimkulut:

Hee... my strict confinement was probably the first day in hospital. Subsequently I washed my hands, washed my dishes, washed the bottles, sterilized... did everything and broke all the rules... :p

Long time no post.. Lots to catch up on..

Haiz.. My son refuses to sleep after a feed no matter what we do.. Fed, changed and burped.. So not sure what could be bothering him.. Worried that he's not sleeping enough...

Help!

My boy get frustrated to drink directly from breast n get cranky, mil just took him away to feed with ebm...i feel so sianz....I also need my boy to help suckle my breast to get rid of the engorgement ma....sianz.....really every mil will comments " ur breast got milk or not?" walau....feel so sianz n sad to hear such comments...I suffer so much to give birth my own son..just don't want to hear all these crap...

Darienna,

my son also doesn't sleep after a feed half the time! In the day I try to sing songs, walk around the house and talk to him for awhile after feeding him. At night, I keep the lights low while feeding and changing him and talk to him in a hush hush tone so that he knows it is night time and he must sleep after a feed. It's a routine thing so it takes awhile for baby to get used to it. And I'm still trying too.

Puix2,

my son is also frustrated at times while trying to drink from the breast. Mine is because my milk flow is too fast for him resulting in him choking on my milk at times. I'm working on a solution now trying to reduce my milk flow and things are looking up. Before that my mum who always saw baby and I struggle each time during a feed would ask,"issit got no milk?" And I will always answer,"I've got nothing but milk!" And ad time went by, she didn't give any milk related comments anymore. So don't give up, it could be he doesn't like yr

shampoo/soap smell or the way he is held. Try to establish the reason, don't let anyone discourage you.

Jia you jia you!

Hi mummies, if i'm doing pumping of bm n not latching my baby, will my menses return soon? Or as long as i'm producing bm den my menses will not return?

Hi, I just delivered a baby boy on 28 Jan. Did anyone hv a swollen lump underneath e armpit? Doc said tt it is due to Breastfeeding, did u gals hv it?

LZZ,

as long as u r producing BM yr menses won't return. but regardless of pumping or latching, some ladies get their menses back very early and some much later.

i got mine when my bb was abt 8mths old, even though i was still pumping.

Thks chellybaby.. It's mostly during the day from abt 11am-5pm that he doesn't want to sleep.. So just worried that he's not getting enuff sleep.. He's usually quite good at nite.. Will keep trying.. Jia you to me...

hi mummies,

I got a can of open enfalac for babies who regurgitate easily. Its been open for abt a week and my baby does not want it.

Would like to give it away to anyone who is willing to self collect. Do PM me if interested.

Darienna,

ur bb's tming for not sleeping sounds like mine! Around 11 to 5 like that. So I spend almost the whole afternn catering to her. Feed, burp, change diaper, feed, burp, etc etc. I can't catch a nap or do much else. I'm dead beat by the time husband gets back so there's no dinner either.

How long will this phase last?? Very tiring n frustrating.

Cluster feeding,

my bb also wants more n more milk over a 1 to 2 hr stretch, can be at nite or afternn. Shd I just feed? Cos now I'm giving in just so she doesn't cry.

luckymummy - my gal is the opposite... sleep and sleep during the day, at nite sometimes stay awake quite long after feed! Trying to keep her awake during the day so she will sleep longer at nite. Like yday, she slept almost continuously from 12pm to 11pm...brought her out to my in laws place, a relative's place and my mum's place and she slept thru it all. Hv to wake her to drink milk. But when she is awake during the day, she can lie by herself in her cot for quite long...

Poo frequency,

Can I check how often your babies average per day? Mine was constipated for a while (3 days once), then changed formula to isomil became about once a day. Is that ok? Thinking if I want to change formula once this can is finished. She's partially latching and supplemented by formula.

sputnik,

so she doesn't sleep much at night? Mine still wakes up ard 2-3am for a feed and can last till 6 sometimes 7. It's just that I can't last for long without help if she keeps up this whole-day-don't-sleep pattern.

luckymummy - my gal on full EBM so poo maybe 5-7 times a day? She usually wake up once in the middle of the nite to drink but will sleep maybe 2 hrs later. Then the next feed will be early morning. I'm thinking if she continues this pattern of sleep a lot during the day, may be easier for me to express milk since i will be alone with her during the day after my CL leaves.

Back