(2009/10) October 2009 MTBs

glass > Dre uses Tom's of Maine - http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/toothpaste/product-details/childrens-fluoride-free-toothpaste

We buy it from Vitakids (United Sq, Forum, Paragon). You can also find a good selection of kids toothpaste at any Four Seasons Organic Supermarket (City Sq Mall, Great World City etc.)..we used to get the Weleda Children's toothpaste and Four Seasons carry a really cute mini-sized version at just $3.00 that you could buy to try out first. If rashes, it might be the glycerin that's causing it or the flavouring.

Hi
Been some time since i logged in..just started work adn been bz...Updates: i have been home before 5pm to bathe my boys, feed them dinner adn take them for a walk...tellmyself i must commit to these...coz if i come back any later, i wun have time to bond with them...since they sleep at 8pm...

Now my boys can count from 1-10 and recognize the numbers 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8. They are starting to talk now...even 4 syllabus word like helicopter...kids really learn fast at their age.Amazing for us everyday..

dj : wow good progress! v tiring. work then bathe, feed.. :S but your kids eat fast
happy.gif

dj > what do u work as? good that u can be home by 5pm! your boys are making great progress! well done!
happy.gif

gal > how's the eating nowadays? better?

xoxo : nah. still bad. he still rather not eat. really thank God 5 days a week he eats well at the nanny's. else my boy will be 'bamboo'.

i nearly had a heart attack this morning when he stood up on his high chair and tried to step out. i pretty much screamed STOP!!. and he cried of coz. i explained to him after that. hope he understand and dun do that again next time!!.

how's audrey! she look so chubby :D

gal > that makes her a chubby ikan bilis lol..hehe. sigh, people love pinching her cheeks *ROAR*. we've just returned from a short holiday and otw there, we'd pp pinching/trying to pinch her cheeks...fed up leh!

don't worry lah. E isn't a bamboo at all. is his nanny good?

xoxolight
I am a teacher.Its a personal choice.I told myself i must continue to be hands-on even after i start work.I bathe 2 of them...and feed one of them toegther wif mum who feeds the other.But not before taking them to the park with my mum before bath and dinner. They sleep at 8pm, so i need to be home earlier to spend time with them.

dj > you join the ranks of teachers in this forum. by far the largest demographic me thinks.

Dre sleeps rather early too - slept before 8pm, esp since she started school which means she has to wake up by 7am. i try to sleep with her (so we can dream together..haha) but the prb is, when i sleep that early, i am awake by 3am >.< - on the bright side, it's some precious me time lol...
happy.gif

xoxolight
many teachers here ah? Never own up???hehehe...my boys sleep at 8pm, wake at 7am..they sleep thru..so i can rest...and recently they kicked the habit of pacifier themselves, heng ah...today, they learnt the first phrase of 'rain,rain go away'.i am so happy.

dj, your kids are progessing very well! i agree on the hands-on things, i have been trying to get home early to spend time with my daughter, but i still reach home at 7pm, after settling down and bathing is already 7.30pm, she usually sleep at 10pm so we still have a bit of time together..how do noemally put your both boys to sleep? do they sleep in their own room?

ilovemax> hope things are getting better on your side. When a kid had sore throat, they do not want to eat or drink, you can bring him to doc to have a check if he had this sympton...

<font color="0000ff"><font color="ff0000">Clarin</font>
Thanks so much for keeping me in mind. Yeah... getting better. My boy got his voice back, but still hoarse, sighz.. think from all the crying when he was younger. He still starts crying once we turn into the carpark of his CC.. but can sense he's starting to settle down. Cries lesser now, juz sobs these days, and he's happily playing with the rest of his frens when i go pick him. Ytd when i reached, the moment he saw me, he clapped his hands and said bye to everyone.

<font color="ff0000">dj</font>
u have a v good training for your twins, peifu peifu, and u are v hands-on with them. These days, like you, i also get the 'honour' of spending more time with them coz my maid has left already (transferred to another employer), so it's my responsibility to pick my boys after sch and bring them home, since MIL's maid cannot handle both of them and walk home.

So effectively, I get to bond with them from 5pm all the way till bed time at about 930pm, and whole days on weekends. It's super tiring coz no other help except myself. I have to do everything like shower and feed both of them myself. I think it's tough, but rewarding. My boys, esp Malcolm, are much closer to me now
happy.gif
</font>

Clarin
When it comes to sleep,i take one and my hubby or my mum (if hubby works late) takes one to pat to sleep. My elder son sleeps with my mum in a differnt room.
Ilovemaxmax
I agree its v shag lor..managing urself...ur hubby got help?and yes, its rewarding..esp when my boys only want me eg at In law house...they always call mama and walk to me and want me to hug or sit on my laps.My maid and mum are at home most of the time taking care of the when i work, but they still stick to me like leech.Do take time off them at times..to keep urself sane..i am doing so this Friday, going out with frens...yay...

Hey gals..here's a recent article in NY Times about biligualism that I thought would be useful to share:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/science/31conversation.html?_r=1

I (narrowly) define bilingualism as being competent in English and Mandarin. Alas, my gal has other ideas. She is more attuned to English and Malay. For the past month, I've been speaking to her exclusively in Mandarin and giving her a good dose of Chinese classics etc daily..ok, some improvement I must say and she seems to be recognising more Chinese characters now though that's nowhere near her competency in English. Her Chinese teacher is also reporting good progress so I think there's a chance to salvage this.

Much work ahead though. Can't believe it that she came home with 10 sheets of homework today, due tomorrow...hahaha...I don't think I was this hardworking when I was 19mo? Having said that, to the kiddo, I don't think she sees it as homework..more like a chance to express the vandal in her! :p

teachers here pls kee chiu for dj ok? hahahaha...

dj > I am still waiting for the weaning to happen! LOL..she is still latching on but either i am bonkers or something but I do enjoy the bonding/nursing time with her, and vice versa. Only prb is that she has no qualms in demanding it loudly, thus causing me embarrassment; and when I don't yield, have the guts to try to get to it herself, i.e. running after me, clambering up, trying to unbutton etc. SCARY!!

Yah, moments like these makes u very happy indeed and I am sure you'll treasure them!
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff"><font color="ff0000">DJ</font>
yeap.. my hb will help if he's home, but most of the time, he will only come back at 8+. my MIL is home to help me except on Mon so it's chaotic on mondays. I bring them home after sch, play, shower, den bring them both over to ILs hs for dinner. They sit on both sides of me n i gotta oversee them eat. It's good that they have learnt to self-feed, but can get quite exasperating when they decide to start playing. So it usually ends up i dun have much appetite for dinner when it's my turn to eat, coz I'm already so frustrated and rice turned cold.

I was telling my hb, though more tiring, its more rewarding, n he can comment "no leh, i think its the same". so i was saying, of coz it's the same manz. i'm taking over ALL that the maid was doing. u are still doing the same one. Imagine I washed both my sons backside like 5 times one of the day. They just both decided to have a super clear out of their systems manz...

Time off? ha, can forget it manz. Previously when i still had a maid, each time i wanted to go meet my gf, my hb will hesitantly let me go. That was when I still had a maid. Now without a maid, i wanna go cut hair oso cannot ah. Feel so unfair at times

<font color="ff0000">xoxolight</font>
wah... homework for a 19mo??????</font>

<font color="0000ff"><font color="ff0000">Growth Spurts</font>
btw.. does anyone know if there's a growth spurt around 19m? Malcolm seems to be having one. Can juz keep eating n eating and his stomach is like a bottomless pit!!

This is his meals for Sat:
830am: half bowl of cereal + half pc of bread + 2 slices of swiss roll + half a cup of milk
12pm: yong tau fu with rice (he n gorgor finished the whole bowl of rice, with him eating more)
2pm: 210ml of milk
445pm: 4 kueh bahulu
7pm: zhi char, took about 3 half bowls of fried rice and some plain rice
945pm: 240ml of milk

He's been waking up the middle of the nite asking for milk these days. He dropped this nite feed for about half a yr already, so i'm not sure why this is happening. If i refuse to give him, he juz keeps crying n crying n throw tantrum.</font>

Xoxolight,
I empathise with you! Nowadays, RN will demand to be latched by going "neh neh neh neh" and helping herself to my boobs! And like u, i still enjoy this bonding very much. In fact, a couple of wks ago i was seeing a dip in ss and was pretty upset. I quickly got a small tin of FM as a back-up. Another worry is whether she will take well to fm as well as her brother did when introduced.
Thankfully my ss is still enuff to meet her demands n so e introduction of fm will wait.
happy.gif

ilovemaxmax : wow your boy has a good appetite.

you are amazing. handling two on your own.

xoxo / jrrt : :p wah..... u must have your nursing shawl handy. ready get set go

MMR :
am sure most or all babes in this forum have taken their MMR jab. My boy just had his today. I have some questions :
- did the fever kick in 1 week later for your toddlers or immediate? the nurse told us its 1 week delayed reaction but within 2.5 hrs he had fever.
- any rashes?
- any "swollen" area? (his cheeks look like someone boxed him)

he still seem active. i just want to know if its .. normal?

jrrt > the woes of nursing indeed. in addition to the "broadcast announcement" service that i did not subscribe to, i am also struck with a merry fiddler! they have a term, it's called "free hand" syndrome. have a good laugh reading this link..i can say i am one afflicted victim. scolding, hitting her etc doesn't work! in fact, she gets more emboldened..and this one, i can't actually ignore and pretend nothing is happening. LOL. http://www.myntoddler.com/comments/index.shtml?cat=coping the last one is especially funny. thank goodness (touch wood) mine has not gotten to that stage. >.< how?? argh!! don't worry abt the ss..it will go back up once she latches regularly. i had a dip and then my dear auntie made a comeback after more than 2yrs? then it disappeared again after she reverted to nursing frequencies that were almost like a newborn's. doubt i'll intro fm since..it's like this. dunno whether i should laugh or cry.. *exasperated*

ILMM
wow! Ur boy has got e appetite of my 5-yr old son! *clap clap* i am amazed!

Gal^
e nursing shawl has outlived its purpose long ago. Haha! Eh how? U din reply me... So tmrw yr whole team do pm? Tdy put appt letter fir tmrw alrdy. i only use it as a shield when i
need to pump n there isnt a proper room.
E gd thing is she usually "snacks" for feeds n thus 5 mins is more than enuff when we r out. Only her last feed takes up to 20 mins nw.

Xoxolight
E thing abt RN is tt she had nvr emptied my boobs b4 thus by relying on her latchings will be a doomed bfg career for me. If not coz i had built up my ss right up fr e start, it wldnt hv lasted her till now. I'm not sayg fm is bad but this is juz my own goal of wanting to bf till she turns two, at least. And i cannot deny tt it has saved us alot of $$$!
Mayb dre will outgrow her allergies as she's older... I guess u hv to wait till she self-weans... She will not allow u to quit on her! Haha!

jrrt: eh? "tomorrow whole team do pm? appt letter? *i am lost*. what thing?

jts:
Taime Warehouse Sale this weekend

Date: 2 JUNE 2011(THURSDAY) - 4 JUNE 2011(Saturday)
Time: 9am - 8pm
Venue: Blk 514 Chai Chee Lane #06-06 Bedok Industrial Estate Singapore 469029
Tel 64455778

MANY GREAT BUYS AND OFFERS AVAILABLE!
COME DOWN TO GRAB THEM NOW.

BRANDS AVAILABLE:
- LUCKY BABY – SINGAPORE Brand (Nursery, Toys, Stroller, Carseat etc)
- JU JU BE – USA Brand (Diaper Bags)
- SOFTPLAY – USA (Cloth Interactive Books)
- SASSY – USA (Development Toys from 0 - 36mths)
- CHICCO – ITALY Brand (Feeding, Toys, Toiletries, Stroller, Carseat from Italy)
- CAPELLA – KOREA Brand (Brand for Stroller)
- TINY LOVE - Premium line of Playmats and Cot Mobile
- CARMATE – JAPAN Brand (Brand for Carseat)
- PARADISO – BELGIUM Brand (Outdoor Playthings)

re breastfeeding
Somehow I suddenly think of Amy Yip, the bo ba of the past. I read that she wanted to latch on to her mother until she was 10 years old, and the mother tried a lot of ways to stop it, like put axe oil, chilli padi and so on. And she was quite aggressive as well.

re fiddling
my husband loves to fiddle with his bolster string to go to sleep. After reading that article, I told him babies and young children love to do that, and he probably needs to grow up.

My son likes to twirl my hair or other people's hair in order to sleep. I have long hair, so not so bad. Other family members all have short hair, but he still tries to play with their hair.

Last time when I was bf-ing, he tried to place his hand on my breast, I removed it immediately. Some of those stories look like horror stories!

ilovemaxmax > I concur with you abt the growth at 19mo. The ikan bilis also eats at every opportunity and eats alot at that. Her portions are adult-sized. Kam chek ah!!! the homework is just a scary name lah. the actual worksheets are given just for fun. in the end, i end up doing almost all for her. a sign of times. haha. :p

gal > the nursing shawl is a foregone conclusion. she will just ignore it and dip her hand macham lucky draw box. not to say, she is so much bigger now..so my "fight" with her is very visible indeed. she can get rather, ahem, assertive and will tussle with me to get to what she wants.
sad.gif

jRRt > good job developing your ss to last till now. while it's true that bfg helps to save money but to be sure, it's a relationship that is either destined to happen or not. in any case as u can tell, there are also downsides..or what PAP likes to say, "trade offs". i never planned or wanted this bfg to happen as it did or function as it is...practically being led by the nose by a very determined fella..haiz. evil mom here scheming to put axe oil when she turns 2yo! bwahahaha...she nurses the minute she sees me after school (so i try not to be the one who picks her up cos it can get rather embarrassing); but otherwise she takes a feed in the morning and at night. so i conclude, opportunistic latcher.

glass > hahahaha...i didn't know that! but i did meet someone in Singapore who nursed till her gal was 12yo! wah..jaw dropping. i don't wish to emulate that. in fact, i will be actively thinking of ways to wean her by the time she turns two..and hopefully, i am completely off her case by the time she is 4, max. i never can reconcile this sweet babe with being a ferocious character but she is! it's a sensory thing as the article has mentioned. u click on the link below, takes u to LLL which explains it further. so it's pretty much ingrained in his consciousness/habits. tough to kick it. which reminds me..many of our adult habits..we picked it up from young. luckily Dre is a girl..i bet if she is a boy, i may not be so alright with the fiddling and the nursing habits.

xoxo: yeah i heard about the 12 yo person. ermm, that's way out of my comfort zone. There's an episode about breastfeeding a 6 yo in Desperate Housewives, and Lynette sinisterly plotted to get the boy off (her colleague) by giving him chocolate milk, and the mother screamed in horror when he rejected her.

I guess it's all about our own comfort level
happy.gif

Gal^
omg!!!! Sorry! Tt msg was not meant 4 u! It was a watsapp msg to someone else... I am drafting this post on hp n i think somehow tt nonsense was copied n pasted here! Luckily i din add more confidential stuff! *buries a hole to hide*

Xoxolight
I do agree wif u that sometimes it might not be meant to be... RN is like Dre too! Somehow she needs to latch moment she sees me back home every evening, regardless of whether she juz had dinner or not.
Haha! Put chilli oil on ur nipple? Before u scare dre off, u'll scream for help 1st! Lol!

Glass
I din know amy yip's story till now! Tts such funny ways to wean her off e boobs! Haha!

glass > to be sure, i know the day will surely come when Dre will become independent. but it's not now and not exactly anytime in the near future, in our case. sure i can foresee i'll have withdrawal blues, be nostalgic abt things etc but i just gotta keep positive and when it happens, be thankful that she has just taken yet another step in her development.

jRRT > wah..ok, forget abt the chilli oil! duh!!! did u actually think i'd do that? bwahahaha..no no no, i am not a masochist..at least not yet!
:p

RN and Dre are simply expressing the fact that they miss us...and nursing is their way of re-establishing the bond.

Actually i found a perspective in LLL that resonates with me wrt to weaning off the breast. it says to do it ever so gently and full of love - never offer but never reject as well.

mums have to realise that weaning is not a linear process (this i agree - she goes from nursing like a newborn on some days to not needing much the next) and it should not be used as a tool of discipline, ie never push the issue as one where mother and child have to do battle and if the child does not "comply", the mum has to exact her iron will on the baby (ok, confessional: i don't think i can ever do this cos Dre is one iron-willed, stubborn calf). just my opinion...and really, whatever floats your boat yah?
happy.gif

xoxo/jrrt : really peifu u two still bf-ing and still have supply.
happy.gif
jiayou.
out of curiousity, till now u still latch pump latch pump?

jrrt: R has grown a lot taller!

gal > to your curious qn: i am stuck with ms barracuda. pump in cold storage. about ss, if u read LLL's book, many mothers make the mistake of thinking they have "no supply", i.e. they feel that the weight of milk has dropped or the sensation of being full/hard is not there and so, they think that there's no supply after 4-6 months of breastfeeding. some conclude they have no supply when they can't pump out any milk. LLL's guide says that actually, an established supply will create these scenarios. i took a long time to reach "established" supply stage where the breast does not harden or feel full or have a letdown. But, the supply is there. The minute u latch the baby, the supply will come. As for using the pump and not "seeing" any output, this occurs especially for mothers who are doing a mix of latching and pumping - our breasts are actually smart enough to switch off output when u try the pump on it! in any case, a "low supply" issue can be rectified with a good diet, rest and by latching on regularly. i just thought of sharing this so that for future kids, and if u are keen on bfg..do read LLL. to be sure, i know mums on this thread who had to give up the bfg journey for work or medical reasons and we have to respect/accept that. i read the sunday times' report that low wage mums ought to breastfeed..and somehow, i felt the author missed the point. if a mum is on low-wage and need to return to work..it's almost beyond her capability to afford the time required to nurse unless u are prepared to have the baby cry hoarse for milk. that's what i struggled with in the earlier days when Dre refused the bottles (and still do), so pumping was out of the question and a rather useless endeavour. emerging from that, i found babies (really, not just Dre!) in general are very adaptable..there is something called reverse cycling but esp before she turns 6mo, engaging in that mode too much can really affect ss. our society as a whole needs to change and support bfg - my MIL and my own mum have made up their minds that i'm kinda gross..haha. but i'm too far in to pull out now.

hihi,

can i check if anyone has already bring our belove oct babies to watch a movie yet? can i check how much it costs and what's the experience ah? i wonder if my boy can keep still and "quiet" in the cinema...

oricule
heehhee, my boys havent even started watching TV....i cant imagine cinema....i think they will be glued..eyes big big

Gal^,
I am still doing both - expressing n latching. Like wat xoxolight said, ss will still b there. As long as one do not stop latching, i am quite sure that ss does not cease.
RN has grown vertically but not horizontally. Each time e nurse measured her during vaccinations, i'll go like "what? She's only xx cm?! So short!" to which e nurse said "she's average... U wan her to be a supermodel?" duh!!!!
Xoxolight
Yeah i read that article too... And concluded i helped to save $2k off milk powder! Lol!!!
I agree that our breasts has adjusted themselves n seldom feel engorged or full anymore. And yes, i think my boobs getting immune to e suction of e pump nw. Exasperating! I can still feel that there r milk in my boobs but they cannot b emptied by e pump. Argh!!!
Disgusting? Why?
I will either wait till my ss dipped till its almost non existent or when RN decides to wean on her own. I am in no hurry to stop for now...

hi mommies! i'm looking for a preowned Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo. If you've one to sell, pls do let me know by PM the price, condition and location. many thanks!

Anyone knws where shd i post thread on my boy diet. He used to enjoyfood but these few days, he was not eating much, refused to eat cerealnor poached egg. He got such a temper when i tried to put him for nap.I dont knw could it be growing spur or has anything got to do with the'junk' food that my dad intro to him. Lucikly he still loves his milkbut he is also cutting back on night feed.

hi newmum:
i have issues feeding my toddler normally :p so i may not have great advice.

my toddler did have temper tantrums until one day my hb went to disciplinarian mode. now my little angel is back. so am guessing its a phase and need to just be firm.

for food..try different variety/textures? perhaps it will help? recently i bought small seashell shape pasta and he seem to like it. so variety?

mummies i need your help.

do u know if our toddler can take nim jion pei pa kao???? my boy have a bad sore throat and my nanny just gave him a teaspoon. i look at the box it only states 3-6yo dosage and above. but din say anything about below 3.

gal > Hmmm..once off in a small amt should be alright. I suppose the key reason is that most herbal meds are not advisable as they aren't studied carefully for under 3yos, not proven safe. If it's a bad throat, giving a little paracetamol to take away the pain is ok. Should it develop into a cough, you can buy over-the-counter rhinathiol to help. Hope Elias gets well soon!

newmum > Have you tried to vary his diet? Is he teething? These babes go thru' phases so don't worry too much...just keep the variety there and let him come round to it. Hunger is the biggest motivator (so no snacking).. :p

jRRt > i told SF i might join the LLL chapter in SG to learn more abt toddler nursing. it's a whole new ball game. and, there's a recently published study that shows a combi of ALA + probiotics in the mother's diet can help the ikan bilis case of ours..hahaha. I take alot of ALA and omega 3,6,9 but not enough of probiotics. Time to load up! http://www.nutraingredients.com/On-your-radar/Omega-3/Omega-3-plus-probiotics-may-boost-health-profile-of-breast-milk

ytd, my staff told me she is expecting and you should have seen her face when she told me she will return to work after 8 weeks, presumably to preserve the remaining 2 months for leave or what not...and I told her, how's the baby going to nurse? what are you feeding? (overstepping boundary liao)..and she was like..bottles? and i shot back, "don't be too sure!"..it's humourous actually, seeing how she don't quite seem to "get" what i was saying..and moi, for the sake of not wanting to put her off motherhood completely, did not bother to elaborate. :p

Fellow Mums,

i am in touch with Bridget Tan, president of Humanitarian Organization for Migration Economics (HOME) who is visiting the family of the maid who took her own life after failing her English tests thrice earlier this month.

Bridget is visiting the deceased's family in Java next Tues (this has been verified by The Straits Times) and sadly, the maid had a 1.5yo daughter (same age as our kids)..so I do feel alot for the child's circumstances. We talk about our kids having separation anxieties and so on..this child from the media reports, obviously misses her mum.
Read: http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/indonesia/family-of-dead-indonesian-maid-in-shock/445702

Whatever her reasons were, she must have been very desperate. In any case, Bridget will be able to pass condolences and money (the family owes $1K to the recruitment agents) to them.

If you feel like making a contribution, you can reach her at [email protected]. I've her mobile as well so for those who know me, you can let me know if you'd want to be in touch just in case you want to give something else and wish to find out if it's appropriate.

Gal
I dun trust chinese medication.My FIL took some chinese med and had to be admitted to hospital. Esp for young kids, better not try..If nothing happ, good for you. If something happ, then u will have more than '5 yrs to repent'...hehehhe..but seriously, better to control wat ur nanny gives lah...even my own mum, i will dictate what i want to give. So far, my boys never sore throat.

Back