Support group for prediabetes & high BP during pregnancy

blackyroses

Hi, I'm week 10 pregnant today, 29yo, unexpected pregnancy but am happy to have a baby growing inside me. Started my first gynae appt at week 4, have been to 3 appts thus far & didn't pass all of the 3 urinal test + BP measurements (always at around 140-160/100+). Finally started methyldopa 250mg twice a day for 5 days now. Did a oral glucose tolerance test during my last gynae appt at week 9 (perhaps due to family history & not passing my urine test thus far hence my gynae suggested for me to take the test) & gotten an urgent call from my gynae on Fri requesting me to get admitting to hospital for observation on Sat as my glucose results came back bad (Fasting at 8mmol/L, 14.6mmol/L 2 hours later). I didn't admit to the hospital, partly worried abt the expenses as my gynae requested me to enter a private hospital. Gotten an appt fixed on 11/05 to see another gynae & endocrinologist in a government hospital. Been feeling really down ever since the call update from my gynae, googling abt birth defects, deformities due to diabetes. Can't help thinking if there's any damage done to the fetus :( I may have diabetes even before pregnancy, but I did not take care of myself, did not go for body checks or blood test. Have been overweight since young, currently at 206lbs. Have never been on any diabetes medication as well. Seeking for some support or anyone who has similar experiences pls.

do you have any other underlying medical condition e.g. PCOS?

I went to did some body check up for my insurance purchase and they told me that my fasting blood sugar test shows i have Prediabetes. To be honest that scared me and kinda made me depressed for quite awhile. I have PCOS so insulin resistance is part of the PCOS package. i have been careful with sugar but i must admit that 3 months before i take the fasting blood sugar test (in Mar), i havent been very diligent. I did have my desserts, sweet drinks, ice cream, etc...

So what i did was since April, i decided to keep a food log to track the amount of sugar both hidden and obvious sugar. Hidden sugar are things like carbs, flour and sugar stuff are your usual cupcakes, ice cream, sweet drinks whatsoever. Because i also know that for PCOS patients, dairy is not recommended neither is soy. There are several school of thoughts behind drinking milk how milk is actually not that great for us and soy messes with our hormones.

So i try to avoid dairy stuff (milk, cheese, yogurt), if no choice i will take soy milk wo sugar, avoid sugar treats e.g. cakes desserts, sugared drinks, and i reduced or avoided carbs. i am waiting for another 2 more months before i monitor my sugar again. Do note that fruit juices are a killer too. You can eat the fruit but avoid drinking fruit juice - inclding those you juice yourself. i have been eating guava, kiwi, dragronfruit, apple to get my sugar.

My BP is usually between 120-130/90-100 however that day my BP was 139/77. I am not sure if my diet helped but i need to monitor as well. It does help that in my first trimester, i dont have much appetite as well.

Remember sugar is a drug and completely not necessary for us since we obtain sugar from the food we eat. Sauces, carbs, fruits etc they all have sugar.

Back