(2008/09) Sep 2008

Big toes: which is bigger? Tai Sing or Cheong Choon? They are near to OG Taxi Stand at Upp Cross Street. 3rd flr at HDB flat for Cheong Choon.

shazz...funny rite? I kept thinking abt it the whole day! haha..

What my sis and SIL do is put in a bowl of hot water to "heat" up the EBM at home.. but when they go out,they usually bring FM.

OIC, mickey...then what velcro nappies are my boss talking about?! He said no safety pins required leh? Puzzling...

Bigtoes: There's nothing to be conscious abt when breastfeeding outside. Buy a nice nursing cover when feeding the baby. I actually find it so wonderful and noble for mums to breastfeed their babies in public.
happy.gif

Crayon: The prob with using cloth diapers is you have to change the baby everytime he/she pees/poos, which for a NB, can be every 2 hourly. When commbined with other tasks you have to do, such as nursing, and pumping, bathing, resting and if you have to do household chores etc, may be too overwhelming. We switched to disposal diapers when the CL left us. Cloth diapers is recommended in the beginning weeks cos it allows the baby's genitals to breathe more easily, and supposedly reduces the chances of genital infection.

Flos: I think your boss is referring to the diaper covers. Diaper covers hold the cloth nappy together, so you don't need to use safety pins.

For mattress, I use Safety First or is it Baby Safe (cannot remember the brand). The mattress has holes in them and it's supposedly safer and reduces SIDS - Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Flos
For traditional cloth nappies, you need to get the nappy cloth, which is a huge square piece of cloth which you need to fold, then place it inside the nappy pants & line with the nappy liner. Those in the olden days require safety pins but the nappy pants now comes with velcro fasteners.

California Baby products can be ordered online from this store where I get my Badger Balms..

http://www.whoopeekiddies.com/

I also saw a toiletries shop at Chinatown People's Park (the one where they sell textiles) selling this brand.

Gosh, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome...how morbid-sounding it is
sad.gif

I guess I just hv to check up those nappies at Pigeon for a better picture. My boss, btw is a man, so his description is erm, kinda, warped
sad.gif

Flos: It is morbid but not uncommon.
sad.gif
Another item to stock up is Desitin - ie nappy cream. Everytime you change the baby, apply a layer of the cream to prevent infection. Order from drugstore in overseas spree. Price is less than half what you pay for in SG.

Flos (flos) : sorry I can't recall how much one need to spend to be Mothercare VIP member. When I signed up, they had a promo i think, so it was about $200. Not sure about now.

Mother Works and First Few Years, I think they carry slightly different things. Mother Works stuff are alot more expensive than First Few Years. First Few Years sells some stuff from babymallonline.com. In terms of service, I prefer Mother Works.

As for mattress, I'm no expert and I had problems sourcing for one that is compatible with the cot that was passed on to me. In the end, I give up!

But if I had a choice, I would go for BabySafe's pure latex mattress which is safer like mickey said. But they're pretty pricey!

Can check out this link:

http://www.babysafe.com.sg/

For Tai Sing:
Our Showroom Operating Hours:-
Monday to Saturday : 9.00am to 5.30pm
Sunday : 11.00am to 5.30pm
Public Holiday : Close
Address: 754, North Bridge Road, Singapore 198700. Tel: 65 62912633

http://www.taising.com/combibranding5.html

California Baby Products: Order from usa, it's much cheaper. It's another fav item for overseas sprees.
Check out the following websites:
www.luckyvitamin.com
www.vitaminwarehouse.com

CB products are not really suitable for NB cos they're scented. Wait til the baby is older like 9mths or 1yr. I like their swimmers' defence shampoo and conditioner.
happy.gif
Am using them now if I bring bb swimming.
Another popular CB product is the Calendular cream - helps to reduce ezcema.

shazz,

I like Sebamed cos of the fragrance. It smells really nice. But I only just started using it on my 2 year old son. Not sure how it's like with a newborn's skin.

Flos (flos),

Yah, agree with Mickey, buy california baby (plus desitin) from the US. I have ordered loads of that to be shipped to my hubby who's in the US now (he goes there every 6 months or so, so that's when I stock up). Also can buy First Teeth tooth paste and finger brush at the same time, from www.drugstore.com

crayonshinchan,

I think though what your friends said may be non-encouraging, but it is true. I run out of 1 big pack of diapers in my baby's first week at home. I was in the US with no one to help me with my confinement, so I have to use diapers else I would never recover from my c-section.
happy.gif
I think I used around 11 pcs of diapers a day then? imagine washing 11 soiled cloth diapers a day yourself.
happy.gif

Limay,

I breastfeed in the public in the US, and the people are very tolerant of it. Not too sure how is it here. But I will continue to do that, cos sometimes really v ley chey to bring bottles out, etc. Already got to bring a huge diaper bag liao.

crayonshinchan: You have such funny dreams!! Did I asked for epi? I hope I didn't! Kekek.. When is your & bigtoes EDD? Mine is 5 sep.
happy.gif
So I have no face in ur dreams?

Mickey: No, we never meet up before wor...

RXmom (ruixiangsmom) : thanks! Will try it out first when baby is out, will not stock up then. =)

gosh, you're making me lemming for a drugstore spree! but the last time I ordered from them, they cancelled my order! I've had no problems ordering from them before.

Anyone up for the spree at drugstore? hmmn, perhaps for easy calculation, we should only spree for the items mentioned, Desitin cream, First Teeth tooth paste and finger brush, for easy calculation of shipping.

RXMum: Your hb is based on the US? Lucky u then! My bro is currently in the US and has asked me what I need. I dunno if I wanna impose on him as he is on biz trip. CB products will be soooo heavy! And can't imagine asking him to lug those Medela bottles and pumps home for me.

Mickey: But how to find out about those sprees? There are so many in this forum...*BLUR BLUR*

Shazz: $200 only? If I can't find my bedding at Mothers Work, I'll buy from Mothercare or First Few Years liao.

BBsafe is at Jalan Peminpin, that's in SingMing...BabySafe's pure latex mattress it is...OK, need to get a good mattress so that my bb can "sleep like a bb". Dun wanna get racoon eyes...

Tai Sing is not that near to Cheong Choon wor...It's at North Bridge...That's too far from my office at Tg Pagar. They seem to only carry Cmobi products...

Big Toes: Why r u so shy about public BF? Just get a sling or go to some discreet corner will be ok I reckon
happy.gif

OK, that's a lot of info I got from this thread today. I need to list them all down, and buy the best stuffs.

hi ladies,
soooooo many posts in one day and soooo many different questions. would have liked to answer some too but can't stay up too long...

in school today, i started spotting. weird. was scared so went down to see gynae. after checking, she decided that i had to do the test to see if i was having contractions!!!! YIKES!!! anyway, things turned out fine. but at the present moment, i'm confined to bed rest for this week. so i guess tmr i'll have time to read the posts properly and reply. hehe

RXmon, 11 pcs of diaper is A LOT... haaa.. ok.. now one more dilemma to throw in.. kekeke... to use or not to use... Must start to toss coins liao.

Actually my fren was just asking me if i had bot any nursing wraps for breastfeeding outside. But i told her I don think i am that comfy as yet.. prob shy like bigtoes.. hee..

Guess ultimately it depends on whether baby latches on properly. If yes, maybe it'll be easier to decide to breastfeed in public..

Am I evil or not ah? Cos I am just slping on platform with a mattress on it. And i am planning to place baby on the floor on a mattress next to me, instead of a cot. Easier access to baby mah.. don need to stand up and walk to cot.. kekeke..

Storeberry.. haha.. i don rem u asking for epidural. Bigtoes was the first to be pushed into the delivery ward. Then the rest of the dream was abt something else in the hospital liao. Imagine we were calling each other storeberry, crayon and bigtoes.. and yup.. both u and bigtoes were faceless!! haha..
And I just realised! Our EDD is quite near! Mine is on 6th Sept.. MAYBE my dream will just come true! Bigtoes, whens ur EDD???

And flos, I think i've only seen bigtoes' pics on multiply n facebook. That's abt it! hahaa..

alabone... do u walk abt a lot in school? For me now, I simply bo chap. I sit wherever and whenever i can, in class. Baby more impt!

Breastpump Accessories Spree
Am going to order the parts from this website. Anyone keen can join in.

But pls note collection is only at Normanton Park or by postage. Thanks. Once you've placed your orders, pls trasnfer money to posb savings acc 150280532 and post your transaction and nick here. FX rate will be 1.45. Thanks.

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com

Mei: Pampers for NB is recommended. It's used in all hospitals and the first pack is part of the delivery package. Usually we won't finish the whole packet at the hospital, and will have spare to bring home. Then first few weeks, the CL will use cloth diapers. Have time to stock up. To be ooo many, cos bb grows very fast, and soon will need to upgrade to a bigger size. I prefer to use Mamy Poko once the baby graduate from NB.

Guideline in Breastpump Accessories - What are the parts you may need to change?

1) Breastshield and connectors $7 each
2) Valve and Membrane $3.25 each
3) Tubings $4.75 each
4) Storage bottles Set $20

1417136.jpg
1417137.jpg
1417138.jpg
1417139.jpg

alabone
eih, did the doc give you duphaston?i have 2 boxes left from spotting in first tri. doc gave too many. you need extra or not??

am trying to give it away but no one seems to want it leh...the first time no one wants expensive things..keekekeke..

rest well...

rsmom
yes im sahm.but i had problem weaning him when i was working. he just went on refusing food when i was at work. and on good days, he will drink maybe 200mls, all spoonfed. on bad days, nothing at all for 12 hours or so. then he had problems starting solids coz he hated them...haiz...anyway, my son's major problem is foos and his weight..just praying the second one wont have the same problem...

crayonshinchan
dun worry, my son is still on cloth nappy...no problem one...

rxmum
11 diapers?! wow, but if it is cloth, will be more coz they are less absorbent!!!
happy.gif

Mei:

I switched to Mamy Poko NB after finishing the pampers NB from TMC. If u look at the Mamy Poko NB diaper, u will notice they shape it slightly differently to accomodate the bb's umbilical cord. U need to take care and clean it conscientiously until the cord drops off to prevent infection.

Nappy Cloth:
I am not a fan of nappy cloth. Especially for breastfed bb. They simply poo too frequently. Having said that, I have lots of nappy clothes for other purposes --- to wrap them up when feeding, to place on bouncinette, to use as makeshift pillow, for burping etc etc.

Bathing product:
For bathing NB, nothing fancy --- I just use lactacyd (recommended by TMC) which can be used on hair and body. The key is to buy non-rinse type. As my son grew older, switched to GAIA which is organic (as my son has sensitive skin and used to suffer from eczema).

Actually for those of u going to attend antenatal class, u might want to hold the purchases. There might be freebies.

Mattress/Bedding:
For bedding set, learning from experience, i don't recommend spending lots of $ on it. Pls be mindful that your young bbs will tend to soil it (like it or not). E.g. I had poo/pee/regurgitated milk on my own bed, on my hair, on the mattress as they can't control !!! Better to invest some money in waterproofing it, protecting mattress against dustmites etc. Also better to stick with standard size no matter how tempting the odd shape cot is. Otherwise, you will soon realize how difficult it is to get the accompanying bedding set / mattress / protectors !

Mrs Yap: By the way, I still have not received the funds from your friend Lisa. Did she get a reject on teh funds? Maybe we wait one or 2 more days.

Mickey...
isit?? How come so long? I will check with her tml... i see her everyday de but she nv mention abt reject leh... sorry about it. I will post here asap when i know wats happening. Maybe ibanking takes 3 working days??

thanks Lok for all the useful tips! You just helped me convince my hubby that Mammy Poko for NB is better than Pampers! I love how soft and thin the new Mammy Poko diapers are and I heard they're very absorbent too, and cheaper than Pampers! My silly hubby has this theory that he wants the best for his son, and that the most expensive one must be the best! So silly right? I have to convince him that not all expensive things are the best!

alabone: thank God you're fine. can take time to rest this week.

crayonshinchan: I also had intention to let baby sleep on mattress on the floor once he outgrows the cot or playpen. But my colleague who had experience sleeping on the floor told me that he fell sick frequently when he was doing that as it's more dusty and unhealthy. I was advised to keep the room super clean and use an air purifer to make sure it's not unhealthy for the baby. You may want to consider that point.

Shazz: You organising for drugstore.com? Kekek.. Spend money again... My nurse fren told me to buy a nappy rash cream from KK pharmacy. I think its sakura or something...

mickey (bbmouse): how are you calculating the shipping charges for this spree?

got a question, I noticed that for PERSONALFIT BREASTSHIELD WITH CONNECTOR, there are 3 sizes, how to determine if one needs a bigger size? Is it depending on the breast size of size of the nipple? Sorry if my question sounds silly, still have not tried on the pump!

crayonshin,
ya. walked about rather frequently. my form class and most classes are on the fourth floor and the staff room is on the second. so walking abt is really inevitable. but last week was marking a lot. so wasn't walking that much already.

l'lCY,
by the time i went to see doc, she said bleeding stopped liao. so at the present moment, i'm not on any medication. she told me to rest so on one week mc. but i missed the kids. so kinda played with them just now.

ladies,
thanks for concern!

shazz,
i also used mamy poko NB for my second child. it's very good. and i like that they shaped it such that it fit the nb's umbilical cord. good good good!

i got my mail abt isetan's pte sale too. sooooo tempting!!! perhaps i can go... kekekeke.

storeberry: yes, I would do a spree for drugstore if there are interest in it, if not I'll just do a private one and buy more stuff from drugstore with my girlfriends. =)

Shazz: This website has direct shipping. I will most prob apportion according to size of the item. For eg: the storage bottles will have higher units of shipping then the membranes or the tubings.

For the breastshields, the standard size that comes together in the PIS pack is the 24mm. There are 2 types of materials for the breastshields - hard plastic (personal fit) and the new silicone (softfit). Feedback on the softfit is is very good. Softfit comes only in the standard size, personal fit is the one that comes in various sizes.
Re size of breastshields to use: I think most will fit the standard size.

Lok
Thanks for your tip on diapers, then I'll buy Mamy Poko NB.
happy.gif

shazz
If you organise drugstore spree, let me know too! I'm interested.

Mei: Was it you (or Ava) who got the PIS from ebay? You need new accessories?

Bigtoes: Hey, you saw the storage set comes with NB teats in the above pack? Looks quite interesting.

diapers
pampers premium for NB used to be very good, but they phased that out and now it's pampers active, not as good.

if you bb tends to get nappy rash and/or has big thighs, then try huggies. the cutting is high and to be the best for bbs with big thighs and good to accommodate their movements..my boy uses huggies for going out...

flos
you mean you can get CB at kids21? recently left my swimmer's defense at CY's swim school. dun think can retrieve it...haiz.loot from CB will only come end May...so now trying to find good alternative...

mummies who are using swimmer's defense, any suggestion?

shazz
me interested in drugstore too!!!been wanting to get multivits gummies for my boy!!so much cheaper from drugstore!!!

<font color="119911">Flos (flos) - i don't see mommies here in Spore BFing in public, at least not unless there is a baby's room in the mall. At this point, i don't even know how to carry a newborn, so not even thinking of BFing in public &amp; not accidentally exposing myself yet!

mickey (bbmouse) - is the site u mentioned cheaper for Medela parts than their distributor here in Spore? I copied down the distributors' addy from another mommie earlier - their outlet is at AMK Hub (where the TMC pre natal classes are). I was planning to just go &amp; get these at the outlet - at least can bring the PIS along to make sure I get the the right items....</font>

hey Bigtoes, check with you... how to go abt ordering from Cheong Choon? Can we just call them, place the order &amp; ask them to deliver then we pay cash?

gd morning mummies

for those interested in quinny zapp3, CKtang is selling it for $368, citibank cardmembers got additional 10% off frm today til 15may. Today is the cardmember preview sale at tangs..

mickey
My PIS is brand new so dont need accessories, unless mums who have used this before think it's nec to stock up on accesories first?

Baby stuff
Aiyah, was too tired to go shop for more clothes yest, so will have to go JB store instead.

Chewyring
Reject shop is a chain of Malaysian factory outlets. think there is one at City Square near the causeway...but not sure if still there or not. will have to check

Bigtoes
The moms who are breastfeeding in public are probably doing it so discreetly you didn't realise they are bfing! I;ve done it in the middle of Ikea cafeteria even!!!

Mrs Yap: Got the transfer from Lisa Lim. *phew!*
happy.gif

Sunrays: Very tempting offer on the zapp..

Ava: I see.. Erm.. whether you need new accessories. Depends on yourself. I didn't change cos I didn't know at that time I could order from overseas as well. For the breastshields, the personal fit ones caused me some pain and I wanted to change them. This time I'm getting the softfit ones..
happy.gif
You may want to get the softfit breastshields.

Bigtoes: According to my knowledge, the parts are much cheaper ordering from overseas too. But don't take my word for it. Do help check out as well..
happy.gif
Thanks..

thanks mickey for the explaination on sizes! let me go try the standard size when I get the pump! hehe

looks like we have a drugstore spree on! shall we post here or is it better to email me?

Hi morning all MTB..
Wow.. looks like got another spree again.. wanna get the Calendular cream and desitin cream.. let me know if anyone holding k..
happy.gif

Sunray...
Shopping again ah.. kekee..

Bigtoes,
Think nowaday, there's this baby changing room.. saw some mummies bf'ing there too.. like for eg, Takashimaya.. they have a big Baby room at their children session.. and they even have designated areas for mummy who BF.. remember BF'ing there when my no.1 was still latching on..

mickey
wow... finally got thru the transaction
thanks for organising the spree

Ya... any mums who used Medela PIS can advise on which are the inevitable parts/accessories to buy? Cos i also haven use mine before and no idea what i shd stock up
happy.gif

Bigtoes
I saw yr facebook pic
wat is the model of the combi u got? I also wanna get a combi for melody :p

Mrs Yap: No prob. The parts I showed above are the ones I'm replacing with.
happy.gif
Your's is brand new? Then most prob no need lah.

Cot
I wanna ask if any mommy is buying cot bed from Mothercare? If you are, which is the preferred model? those with liftable side or those non-liftable? eg. St Ives and Newbury model

Itchiness
Last nite, i experienced sudden itchiness with my whole body and i spotted brown spots ard my neck...anyone can share how to get ride of it?

Back