(2008/09) Sep 2008

Storeberry: Which red patent Kate Spade bag r u referring to? I dun rem seeing such a nice red diaper bag leh...

MILK BOTTLES...

mickey: OK noted with thanks! I thot "bfree" refers to "Born Free" the brand, rather than "BPA-free"?

Sorry, I've more questions:
"and warm the bottle in the warmer til the desired temperature before giving to the baby."

What brand of warmer did u get? Medela? What is the desired temp for bb?

"If the EBM is to be stored for more than 24hrs, then pour into a storage milk bag, and freeze it in the freezer. Write the date of freezing on the milk bag to facilitate bringing out at a later date."

How long can we freeze the EBM? 2 mths? Which brand of milk bag did u get and where can we get them?

How to defrost the frozen EBM?

Big toes: My exact sentiments abt the NUK bottles. So cute! But wonder if they really are practical...So Medela is for storage of EBM only? I've to transfer the milk from my normal Milk Bottles, be they NUK, Avent or Pigeon?

So for those second/third-time moms, how many milk bottles must we buy?

Storage = No.?
Feeding = No.?
Milk Bags = No.?
Teats = silicon or latex better? Which brand?

i am confused about the bottles.. like to check again if i use a medela pump and store the bf milk into a medela bottles, i could later transfer milk to an avent bottle and warm it up to feed rite? Avent is not bfree but it is considered safe?

Which are the Bfree brands?

For milk warmer - the recommended brand is pigeon?

Bigtoes & Sunrays: The bloomers look so cute!! Kekek.. But is it kinda stiff cos the material looks abit stiff..
happy.gif

Aiyoo. my bb name still not confirm yet, still brainstorming. Keke..

Meie: If the breastmilk is freezed, do we use the bottle warmer to warm? or other methods? Still confused. :p

Mrs Yap: You are not stingy lah.. Baby outgrow the clothes very fast anyway, you can use the money to spend on other things... But sometimes we do get carry away with all the cute stuffs!

Flos: The red patent bag is not a diaper bag but a normal tote bag, think not selling on the web already. I saw at Raffles city branch early this yr.. My sis bought Playtex milk bags.

koras,
my hubby heard the pop-up sound too when he places his head on my tummy..he kept calling bb's name and i think our boy responded.
happy.gif

SarahMay: I need to check back at the DS report for her name. It's a Singaporean with a dialect name and she is in her 40's. She was most informative and kind to me. 3D images weren't part of my gynae's DS routine/package, but she let me preview my bb first. I was pleasantly surprised that the teacherly sonographer was almost offering a crash course on the human anatomy to me!

In that case, I won't get NUK. Let me read the blog fwd by RXMOM first. Gives me the creeps to know they are not BPA-free.

sunrays: Are those diapers itchy? I mean, those ribbons are kinda ticklish? But of course, they are soooo Kawaii-ne!

For cloth diapers, u need to insert liners right?

How many cloth diapers must one buy? 1 dozen?

For newborns, do u moms let him or her wear two-piece attire or one-piece rompers? Button-front or shoulder-button is better? Long-sleeved or short? Must bb sleep in a fleece sleeping bag/sack or simply wrap bb with blanket?

Is it a must to place pillows (beansprout or normal), quilt and bolster inside newborn's cot? I thot the cot should be empty except for the bumpers...

Bacon: I have an avent warmer. Pigeon also carries warmers. All warmers are compatible with the feeding bottles.

Bigtoes: A few mums confirmed that bottles that come with the Medela are for storage only. So you do need to buy feeding bottles. The link provided by RXmom shd be useful for you.

LC: Yes, food warmer = bottle warmer. The one that comes in a bundle with the steriliser is the correct one.

Flos: I have the avent warmer.
Milk Temp
No hard and fast rules re the temp. The temp shd not be burning and be as close to our body temp as possible (as that is the temp if the baby were to feed directly from our breasts. If in doubt, pour a few drops of milk on the underside of your hand near your pulse, the milk shd not feel too hot.

FEBM (frozen expressed breaskmilk) can last for up til 6mths. Some nutrients are lost during the freezing process.

Milk Bags : Many brands carry these. Medela, Pigeon, Avent etc. The popular brand for this forum is Lansinoh milk bags. Most of the time there is an overseas spree going on for this.

Defrosing FEBM: The milk needs to be thawed first. To thaw, take the milk bag out of the freezer and place in the fridge overnight. To use for feeding, just warm it up to the desired temp.

Bacon: Don't get confused. Yes, you can pump the BM into the medela bottles (that come with the PIS). Then for feeding, just transfer them into feeding bottles.

based on RXmom's forwarded report, brands (familiar to me) that are BPA-free are Medela and Born Free. Avent is still questionable. No mention about Pigeon.

Bloomers - hah, hubby told me to change the order to boxers, cos bloomers = panties for baby girls...i thought they were just unisex diaper pants...so blur

mickey,
a steriliser cannot double as a food warmer...am i right? I bought the Avent IQ24 steriliser. So i have to buy another food warmer be it pigeon or avent..right?

Thanks for the clarification..v helpful
happy.gif

Bacon: Avent is not BPA-free. Confirmed.

I have 2 "scientist" mums at the Mar 07 thread. Whether the chemicals leeched from plastic bottles is harmful to the body is still a question. We can be safe to buy BPA-free bottles. Otherwise, the other way os to change the bottles regularly like every 3-6mths.

I'm comfortable to change the bottles every 4-5mths.

Bacon: Cannot. Sterilisers and warmers are 2 separate "equipment" for the baby.

Another method of sterilising:
Boil the bottles in a pot of boiling water. Use boiling water to rinse the bottles.

Another method of warming:
Place the bottle into a cup of hot water.

Koras: How was your tummy ache last fri? Yes, my bb also pushes his body against my tummy!!

I'd been quite ignorant about the position of the bb until last Fri when my sonographer told me my bb's head was on my left that day. And she also told me my bb has risen above my belly button already
happy.gif

Storeberry: OK, that means there isn't a changing mat inside the ordinary tote bag. I think red patent is absolutely gorgeous. Chic mama
happy.gif

Shazz: STOKKE Xplory is very pricey... Are u getting from Mothers Work or First Few Years?

BB Toiletries

Which brand is good? Mustela is good? Or Johnson & Johnsons is good enuff?

BPA-free bottles or not??

I reproduce what 2 other mums said on this topic.

Mum 1: "Hmm, there are several things in consideration for BPA. Firstly, its actual toxicity. It has been tested in lab mice at various concentrations and in some studies proved to be harmless to reproduction even at high levels (but do other damages). There are some studies that showed it may exacerbate cancers. It is found to have higher potency in the test-tubes then in-vivo so maybe the body has some way of metabolizing (neutralizing) it. Again, all these studies done in mice. Remember their size in comparison to humans. I dun think any of these studies did a relative size - dose thing.

Secondly, the other thing to consider is the release of BPA. How much of it really leech from the bottles into the water? I haven't seen much studies with regards to this but then I haven't got the time to even look through all the titles yet.

Hmm, my conclusion in my brief 10 - 15 mins research is that, if you have the money, go ahead to change for a peace of mind, if you dun have the money, dun need to feel bad at all about not changing cuz it may well that BPA is not toxic to humans at whichever level it is leeching into the water. Besides, we have all been exposed to it already, one way or another."

Mum 2: "no worry about the bottles, but dun use OLd bottles, and dun use them for a long time like years. i think every 3-6 months is a good gauge.
If you steam or sterilise your bottles everyday, then discard them slightly earlier lor. i actually steam my bottles only once a month now, or every 3 weeks. nanny steam them every week, but i close my eyes la.

My stand:
chemicals are everywhere now, this BPA is another small chemicals which is SUSPECT to cause this and that but not many studies actually CONFIRm this, u see. everything is also suspected suspected, high chance high chance. Glass bottles are also putting our bb at risk if there is any crack etc? which one is more serious?
I believe our bodies are able to discard and handle these chemicals at very small amount.

I weigh between these bottles(milk bags) vs glass bottles last time, i decided to use milk bag instead cause the glass chips might cause immediate death to my baby if it is very serious. this BPA thing seems less serious liao.

For example, the study stated that BPA will make the immune system worst. so for those baby who fall sick easily, if they use glassbottle then will the problem go away? i dun think so. even if there is, the % will be very insignificant."

mickey,
crystal-clear
happy.gif
thanks. i think being a kiasu mom, i will change my avent to medela or born-free bottles. High heat will cause chemical in non-BPA free bottles to leak into the milk..so i guess i could still use avent bottles to store milk in the freezer/fridge?

Hello mummies,

So long never post liao, couldn't even catch up with the posting... very busy with work plus my gal is sick on n off for the past week, wat a Mother's Day celebration
sad.gif

Just came back fm my gynea's appt n detailed scan result is good. Gynea oso mentioned that my placenta is good n baby doing very well inside. Now can feel baby's kick real hard during certain timing like lunch time, late afternoon hours. Oh yes, my 2nd baby is a princess, can Xuanmommy update for me? thanks...

btw, anyone has msn can add me and feel free to chat with me. [email protected]

hi all

wondering whether the isetan pigeon offer is the same as the one that i got from taka last month.. my package includes rapid steam sterilizer, newborn starter kit, 2 wide neck bottles with peristaltlic nipple and breastmilk & babyfood warmer.. all for $149, i think it's a good deal... the newborn starter kit contains 1 silicon pacifier with hood, 2 pcs of wide neck bottles (200ml), 1 pc of wide neck bottle (300ml) and 1 pc Milk Powder Container (revolving).

anyone know where to get cloth diapers from? My SIL said that last time she had a hard time finding.

Koras: That's the baby moving! I feel it everyday now too.
happy.gif
As the babby grows bigger, you'll be able to see how your tummy shifts when the baby karate in the tummy. No kidding.
happy.gif

Flos: I use Cetaphil. One complain abt J&J is it may cause irritation in some babies.

Anyone using glass bottles? Are they safe and are they heavy?

Wow, how come there's more to milk bottles than meets the eye...looks like I need to buy an Avent IQ24 steriliser, an Avent warmer, some milk bags (preferably Lansinoh as Mickey's recommended), some bfree Medela feeding bottles (but largest size is only 160ml), some bfree Medela storage bottles, a thermal bag, a Medela breast pump, and Medela teats (do they sell teats?)

Can Medela bottles fit into Avent sterilisers and warmers?

I read in some other thread that NUK ones are too tall to fit into Avent sterilisers.

Wait wait, mickey, one more question!!

"the other way os to change the bottles regularly like every 3-6mths."

Do u change the teats just as often too? I heard latex is good but smelly after a couple of months' use?

Flos: likely to get from Mothercare as they can arrange to order the car seat adapter for Maxi-Cosi for us. It cost $1945 for the chasis and the seat, not including the basinet, which cost $500. Hubby loves the design and how the baby can can at a higher level and have closer contact with us. He's a sucker for design and mechanism, can't talk him out of spending so much.

I'm not shopping for a playpen with adjustable height for bassinet which I can let baby sleep in from infant to say 6-9 mths. Anyone got recommendations? Checked out Graco's Contour Electra, but the bassinet is abit too low and not adjustable, can only let baby sleep till he's max of 6.5kg.

Flos: Hey, read my post #4066 re glass bottles.
happy.gif
I change the teats when I change the bottles too.
I'm using Avent, they only have 1 type of teats I think.
Medela, (as well as pigeon) bottles can fit into an Avent steriliser.

shazz
Stokke is gorgeous but very pricey.. but their design is awesome. My hubby is going to get the Stokke Tripp chair for our son when he gets bigger.
happy.gif

Flos
Yes, nappy liners are needed to minimise the mess on the cloth diapers. Normally cloth diapers are sold in a bundle pack of 12, I think. I bought one pack.

As for clothes, I bought a combination of all the outfits you mentioned. I also bought some short-sleeved tees & shorts for baby to wear in the day. I bought a sleeping sack (not fleece, I think it's too warm for our weather) for my baby to use when he's 6 months onwards. From 0 to 6 months, I intend to swaddle him.

<font color="119911">Cheong Choon

Mommies, if u get anything from Cheong Choon at Chinatown, pls tell the lady (Winnie) that I (May) recommended her. I don't think i have anything else to get but see if a couple of us get stuff from her, then maybe we can get a better discount
happy.gif
</font>

Flos, Mei: Nappy diapers are very very useful. And you'll need more than a dozen to rotate. Other than wearing on the baby, when burping the baby, we place the nappy cloth over the shoulder so that the baby's burp won't soil our clothes. Sometimes we use it as a blanket to cover the baby - cos a normal baby blanket will be too warm for our weather if the baby is not sleeping in an aircon room.
Another consideration is whether you want to handwash or machine-wash the diapers and how often you intend to do the baby's laundry. For hand wash, may take a longer time to dry. It's common for a NB baby to pee/poo every 2-3 hours.
Pigeon ones are good.
happy.gif

Mei (meie) : that's the next thing on my hubby's list too! I think it's a guy thing! my hubby is a diehard STOKKE fan! He wanted to get the chair and the baby cot too, which I think is crazy to pay so much lah! The only thing I've given in to is the stroller. My in laws are all for it despite the high cost, cos they figured, if you gonna have more than 1 child, it's very worth it if the child likes to sit in it.

So far, my 2 friends who're using STOKKE Xplory only got these words, "totally worth it!" cos their toddlers enjoy sitting in the stroller and they don't have to transfer them out to a high chair when they dine out at restaurants.

bbmouse
Thanks! I'm clueless when it comes to cloth diapers.. I just bought what my mum told me to.. she used to use cloth diapers on us when we were young.
happy.gif
Yup.. I bought Pigeon ones.

shazz
You saw the huge giant-sized Stokke display table &amp; chair at Mothercare Harbourfront? My hubby went to climb up &amp; sit on it &amp; everyone was looking at him... lol. Oh.. remember to ask for your Mothercare membership card when you purchase the stroller. I was given the membership when I spent $600+ on my cot &amp; some other stuff at Mothercare.

flos
i used to use glass bottles.it was ok i guess. my ILs fed my boy using those bottles not sure how it works coz when im with my boy, he never wanted the bottles.

now, i dun intend to get anymroe bottles. not even teats. most likely nurse straight. my boy is still nursing now...

getting bottles
===============
think it is good to consider now. but just get a couple of basic ones (maybe one avent and one nuk or something like that...). coz if you child is going to be like my boy, (i'll pray hard for you it wont)...then he will totally reject the bottle and whatever teats you put in...then you may end up spoonfeeding...

soemtimes bbs change their preference and will reject some teats after a while, or some bottles..dunno why.

starting bottle training early will not work. sorry to say. but my boy started on bottles (ebm) at day 2 after birth, and then decide to give up on bottles after 3mths.

depends loh, some bbs take to bottles like champ, others like my boy...haiz...(we have all the teats available in the market and nearly all the diff bottles coz ended up have to try which he will take.....)

so if you get a difficult feeder, then those BPA thing is far far away from your mind..

stroller
========
yes, good to get one, but eh....i know a mummy online who sold some expensive maclaren model stroller (airmailed from US) almost BN,coz the bb refuse to stay in it...

so the thing is bb have preference too.

actually the best thing is to have a few models in mind, then when the bb is out, bring him along to choose one he will stay in....(eh, unless you are unlucky enough to have a fickle minded bb)

buahahahah..sorry for being such a wet blanket...but...haiz...

flos, mei
maybe you want to put the bb in disposable the first few days. coz the mecomium secreted might be difficult to wash if you are only using washing machine. and will leave a stain. after 3 days, bb can be inside cloth diapers liaoz...

Hi Flos,

For bathing babies, I personally prefer to use scent-free cleansers, like Cetaphil as recommended by Mickey, or Mustela and California Baby. I used California baby for my first born, and switches to Mustela when he had eczema (it was very dry when we were in Arizona, USA). Strongly recommended these.
happy.gif

I only use scented ones for my first born (seba med, Johnson and Johnson) after my son turned 1.5 years old.

lilboymum,

That's kinda scary. My son also doesn't take the bottles when he was young and only started taking them when he was 14 months old, after being forced to learn to drink from it from his nanny when I returned to work when he was 10 months old. He absolutely loved to latched on. But now, he absolutely loves his bottles.
happy.gif

I am thinking not to repeat my mistake for no. 2 (by letting him latch on in the early days, and no formula milk except breast milk). Hopefully it will turn out fine. Fingers crossed.
happy.gif
Anyway, he will have to get used to it, cos I won't be around to let him latched on also.

Are you a stay at home mommy? I find that myself (when I was a SAHM) and my friends who are also SAHMs always have this problem of weaning our babies off the breast...
sad.gif

Mickey: Thanks for the detailed replies!! But with regards to the defrosting of EBM, meaning if we go out &amp; work &amp; MIL need to feed baby, we need to put in the fridge the previous night? Sorry so many questions. Thanks again!

Storeberry: No prob.
happy.gif
Yes, need to ensure there's enough supply in the fridge before freezing. Else, got to supplement with formula milk.

RXmom (ruixiangsmom) : how's SebaMed? I actually bot that during the Robinson sale cos they have promo and I got the trial set and some bundled set. My friend's baby had eczema and that works for her.

Mei: I got the Mothercare discount card already when I bought the basics for baby. Unfortunately, the discount cannot be applied for STOKKE and some other controlled price items. Yes, my hubby tried on the STOKKE chair too! He basically tried on all STOKKE stuff and he can't help but rave about the designer's great deisgn, workmanship, etc etc.

milky (lyn06) : If you're gonna let baby sleep in there, I think a BabySafe mattress for the playpen is recommended. I saw them selling at Robinson and OG for $125 to $148. There's no need for bumper pads for playpens as the sides are ventilated "walls", so baby won't hit their head, be sure not to place the playpen beside any hard objects, furniture or wall.

hee.. been wanting to log in the whole of today but no time until now!!!

last nite i had a reeeeallly funny dream.
GOD KNOWS WHY???
but i dreamt that I was in labour together with storeberry and bigtoes!!!

thru out the whole dream,we were calling each other by our nicks.. aha..and bigtoes was the first to feel the labour pains and asked for epidural!! next to go was storeberry then me!

and when i woke up, it was 5am in the morning.. and i stayed awake til 6am before i got ready to go to work..

i still find it very funny

one more qn here on expressed breastmilk..
say if i am going out with my baby, then how do I bring out the breast milk?

Do i use the frozen one and let it defrost naturally OR do I use the one in the fridge and use the cooler bag to hold my milk til baby needs it. Then how do i warm up? Or baby can drink normal temperature breast milk?

thanks a gazillion

Crayon: Hehehe.. Your dream is indeed funny and strange. Have you girls met up before?

If you're going out, u can latch the baby on mah, don't have to bring out the EBM. Don't forget you'll be the milk cow-on-demand then.

crayonshinchan : your dream cracked me up! haha

not an experienced mummy so can't advise on bringing out BM. But I do know you have to warm it up by putting it in hot water, have to bring out a thermo flask. The BM have to be kept cool in a cooler bag to prevent it from going stale.

Mickey!! arigato...Am so horrified when I read your posting about those glass bottles. They crack? Yikes...

I'll get a dozen or so Pigeon nappies from Kiddy Palace then. Do Pigeon ones come with velcro fasteners? Your description (of nappy doubling up as the towel thrown over your shoulder) seems to suggest otherwise, that it's a huge piece of cloth similar to that we used when we were little.

Btw, do u use baby washing detergent or normal one? Do u machine-wash your nappies then?

Shazz: Your hb sounds like mine. He is a meterosexual who is into design and mechanism. Rem he was so fascinated by Quinny that he couldn't look at other models anymore. When I sent him the Bugaboo link, he was even more entralled...I think he sounded really bored when I talked to him about milk bottles last nite. To him, it's just feeding lor. But for car seat and stroller, THEY'RE HIS FASHION ACCESSORIES...wat to do.

lilboymum: You're pretty rite I guess abt bb's having his/her own whims and preference too. I see my SIL and sis switching teats and bottles all the time. They end up having up to 3 strollers...what a waste of money!

"maybe you want to put the bb in disposable the first few days. coz the mecomium secreted might be difficult to wash if you are only using washing machine. and will leave a stain. after 3 days, bb can be inside cloth diapers liaoz..."

OK, but if I've a CL to help, can I start with the nappies right away?

Mei: Huh, that gigantic table at Mothercare Harbourfront is a Stokke table? I was quite amused by that. I wonder why they left such a huge furniture there...

u know, the thing about the Bugaboo pram is that the handle doesn't allow me to loop my diaper bag and grocery bags. I think I need to get a storage module to tuck it beneath the pram rite?

Big Toes: What a coincidence, I just called Cheong Choon this afternoon. I'll drop by there this week when I've the time. It's very near to my office. They sell Medela PIS set, and nappies too.

RXmom: Califorina Baby is sold at Kids 21 is that rite?

So where is this other place called TAI SING? Anyone to advise me?!! tks!

but mickey..i am just worried that i might have difficulty in getting baby to latch on.. hee.. cos kept reading that its not so easy ;-( so just want to have other alternatives.

hahaa.. we are like walking cows.. milk on demand!

and nope.. the funny thing is, we've not met up before!! thats why i find the dream super funny..

Flos: The nappy cloth we use now is the same as those that were used 20-30 yrs ago. It's the only thing that hasn't changed!
happy.gif
No velcro, just a big piece of cloth.
My maid hand-washed the diapers and bb clothes for the first 2 mths, after that, we machine-washed bbn stuff separately. My CL has didn't have to wash the bb clothes. After my CL left, we switched to disposal diapers.
Yes, got to use baby detergent for NB and got to wash their clothes separately from ours. Pigeon, Kodomo carries bb detergent. My girl is 15mths now, and we're still using bb detergent for her stuff - clothes, towels, bedsheets, bibs etc.

i'm also planning to use cloth nappies.. hee.. since I have CL to help me with the washing and baby can sort of like get use to it..

when do we stop using the cloth nappies? I shudder everytime i have to change my niece's or nephew's disposable diapers. its like firefighting all the time. They wriggle like worms and i really wonder how we are going to be able to pin the cloth nappies on once they learnt to wriggle like worms!!!

And seems like pple around me all snigger a bit when i say i want to use cloth nappies ;-(
They all said the same.. "wait til u try"
bah! so demoralizing!

<font color="119911">crayonshinchan (crayonshinchan) - ha, i hv been having alot of funny dreams ever since i got preggers too! But haven't been in labour in any of my dreams yet! And yes - if i was going for natural, i would ask for an epidural of cos, the sooner the beter!
happy.gif

mickey (bbmouse)- nope I have not met crayonshinchan before &amp; don't think we know how the other looks like!
happy.gif
Btw, don't think 1st time mommies would be comfy BFing outside...at least not me. Would have to express &amp; bring out some BM, else taking some FM out.

Flos (flos) - yes, i saw Medela PIS at Cheong Choon for $600+. On Tai Sing, I posted the addy above - its nearby as well, but their Combi prices were the same as everywhere else when i called to enquire.</font>

crayon: You hv met storeberry and bigtoes before? So hilarious!!!

Shazz: how much must one spend at Mothercare to get the membership card? I want to be a member too.

Have u been to Mothers Work? Is it more comprehensive that First Few Years at Paragon? This quest and hunt for bedding is killing me...I've odd taste.

Shazz: since you're on the topic of mattress, may I hear from you all where I can get good spring mattress for my bb cot? I saw one at First Few Years selling at $400+. Those at Kiddy are cheaper. My mom told me foam mattress is too hot for Singapore weather. Is that true? Will my bb sweat like hell?!

Crayon: It is not easy to latch the baby on properly. If you want to bring EBM out, got to carry the bottles in a freezer bag. (If you buy the Medela PIS, a freezer bag comes with the package). When feeding, place the milk bottle in a mug container hot water to warm up the milk. Alternatively, use formula to substitute when you're outside.

Back