(2008/01) Jan 2008 MTBs

prata_queen,

Your CL is cheap wor. DOn't know why mine so expensive. Now I just wish everything will turn out fine.

Not washing hair during confinement..

For those of u who intend NOT to wash your hair during your confinement, do u intend to start this practice as soon as u have delivered in the hospital? I was wondering if the shower/bath in the hospital counted or not. Will I feel gross not washing my hair after my delivery..

AhCapp, i have read of CL who charge more...but still, $2,200 is not cheap. Blame it on the CNY period. I guess its fair that they should be compensated for working on the most impt PH for us Chinese.

Regarding bathing in hospital, i tink a lot of mothers bathe in hospital, only start the 'real confinement' at home. Maybe bcos MIL/mothers are not around to control hahaha

Congrtulations to all mums who has popped.

Sassy, why are you freezing your milk so soon? Thought the lactating consultant at Mt. E said wait for a while, when we're almost going back to work.

sassy
yes personally i found it troublesome coz i kept spilling when i transferred from bottle (in pump) to bag, and when defrosting etc. So in the end i bought VIA cups. Pump directly into the VIA cups & store. Easier for defrosting also. Less spillage. They're stackable, unlike glass bottles. Upfront more ex than milk bags, but can be re-used, so i bought quite a lot. Din u get some samples from your prenatal class to try out?

babe
Maybe for some men it's really ok.. eg work stress, family stress, financial stress... they also no mood, haha.

Prata_queen,

I was thinking maybe I will try not to wash my hair during my confinement. But I will like to start off with clean hair, not greasy and sweaty hair after my delivery. =) So that's why wondering how "strict" should I be with myself.

Oh yes, CL is expensive to start off with, be it during or not during CNY. =( I did considered it for a long long time b4 I finally gave in, since this is my first child.

$1800 sounds quite standard for non-CNY for this year and last year (07). I think inflation is all bluff one lah. ;)

Congratulations to aug_22sg, chin_chin & cynling.

Yvonne, hope to hear good news from u soon...

re: Maternity Leave
I have started my Maternity Leave on 2Jan even though my due date is 26jan. have been having backache, tummy tightening, difficulty in walking and breathing. Will be seeing my gynae on Monday. Hope to hear good news from him.

Luvv, how r u? r u feeling better?

Hi all

Today is the 8th day after I delivered on 29 Dec. Ya I'm practicing the traditional confinement ie not bathing and washing hair !!! YUCKS !!! I stink ! Lucky thing is I still get to clean my body everyday with the herbs. But I can only wash my hair after 12th day leh... STINKS !!! eventho the weather is nice u r still bound to sweat cos the food u eat must be HOT HOT HOT. 4 more days to go before i can take my bath !

Chaye,
pei fu...pei fu, you really never wash hair for 12 days ah? I have already decided I will shower every day and wash my hair on alternate days...no herbs, just straight from water heater. My mum also say it's ok as long as I blow dry immediately and don't catch a cold.

hi mommies
was sms-ing chaye on this midwife i encountered in TMC...felt so angry with her that i find it necessary to complain her also.

Jus now i feed and feed my bb..latch on every 3 hourly, must say thanks to sassy and chaye also for helping to "counsel" me yday nite...was very depressed cos got snide comments from PIL saying i not enuff milk must feed bb with water la, FM la...etc. Then today got a bit of "advancement" went to attend a BF class organised by TMC, this ang moh woman worked under Mrs Wong one...wat she described is very spot-on for my situation and very inspirational. Then who knows when i returned to my room, latched baby on every 3 hours, in the evening bb kept crying aft i detached her. Then, jus now got one midwife came in say "one look at ur bb i know she not enuff milk, still hungry" some more she says this RIGHT IN FRONT of my PIL. Of cos my PIL agree lo. She asked me to feed bb with water/glucose. I told her, "eh i tot ur colleague today held a talk say NEVER feed bb with water" She kept quiet and say not true. Then went on and on about how my bb looks hungry. I told her i tot Mrs Wong says at this stage colostrum is sufficient for baby, then she said my bb got big appetite. She even went on to say i shud supplement with FM if necessary...dnot keh kiang go on TOTAL BF!!! Errr..hello? Who hired this woman? How come she's talking the EXACT opposite as the usual TMC motto of BF-ing? And give out the impression of no consistencies in TMC? Confusing 1st time mommies like me!!! One moment one staff say tis, the other moment, another opp stand from another midwife! I felt like i'm talking to a replica of my MIL, not an educated midwife from TMC lo!! SO angry.

hi mylife
yeah. my first time experience in TMC wasn't exactly heaven either.. dunno what Thomson Angel nurse they're talking about. Did u take down her name? Go report to Mrs Wong & her staff. I've consulted the ang mo lady before also.. plump with short curly hair, her specs almost dropping off. I think she's Australian.

Your girl any jaundice?

and by the way, when u are discharged, ask for a feedback form to write lots & lots of comments abt that nurse while you're waiting for the invoice. Or better still, if the head nurse does her rounds and asks how was your stay, u can feedback directly to her. She may even knock off X% from your bill due to the unpleasant experience. I dun think it's a midwife coz midwives hang around on level 2 where the delivery suites are.

Mylife,

I agree with wendyg. I am surprised to hear about such staff at TMC because everyone was saying how they always support TBF. I think really need to complain to Mrs Wong.

Don't let your PIL or anyone affect u. Continue to stay strong and breastfeed your baby. Hang in there!

wendyg
Your hb and you super on leh. with #1, you still have energy to ML 1 to 2 times a week when preg!!! When I not preg oso not so on ah!

Today went gynae checkup. 38wks+, coming to 39 weeks. Gynae told me "see you next week, if you are lucky then see you earlier in labour ward!" I am due 12 Jan, the nurse even book for me an appt to see gynae on 19th Jan liao! I hear liao wan to faint. I ask gynae will he induce if I pass due date, he say usually NO, and for my case, #1 late, #2 may follow suit. Hmmm...

Mom2nat,

My due date is 15 Jan, only 3 days after yours. =) My next appt is 11 Jan. Don't know if I will see my gynae at her clinic or at the hospital too.

For your #1, also overdue? What happened in the end? Induce or c-sec?

Wendyg,
Thanks. My first time was total EBM from day 1 cos my boy stayed in NICU for 3/1/2 mths. Muz deliver freshly expressed milk everyday to NICU. Managed to feed my boy with BM for 7 mth.I froze a lot of packets of milk in my freezer...

This time is total latch on.

Mom2nat, hearing from u I feel so scared mine will also be like that! Aiya..hope he dun procrastinate too much. Think my gynae also not pro induce one...

Mylife, jia you with bf. That nurse shld be Margaret. She's from Scotland and dunno went whereelse then here in sg. Anyway, my MIL also said the same thing when I had no.1. Will comment even infront of relatives who all agreed bb shld supplement with fm and drink water. Anyway I juz smile it off. Bb keep crying like 2hrly somemore and I very depressed but I continued bf. Came to a stage, I juz cried and leave bb to cry. If my MIL didn't want to carry her, then leave her there to cry then coz I hardly rest without a CL ard. Finally, she then said I rest and she carried bb. Sometimes it's not bb hungry but wan some cuddle.
Btw, u can request Mrs Wong to visit u during ur stay in TMC when the nurses come by for their rounds.

prata_queen, urs reasonable rate lahz..mine normal rate is already 2k.

mylife,
wa, i din know the midwife is so abrupt in her choice of words infront of others besides you... she should watch her words! mayb she's an old auntie... don't b so angry n get affected by her comments.. jus latched ur rylee and ears shut...

wendyg,
i really pei fu u.. can still be so active with such big belly.. my hubby don't dare to touch me cos he's so afraid he'll hurt my bb... anyway, i tink u have a v healthy life.. i read on the papers sometime back dat s'poreans are lacking in this aspect compared to overseas couples... the norm is like 2x a month for s'pore couples... so pathetic right??? while the norm in the world should be 3x a wk!!!

AhCapp,
Ya lor.. so long as bb is healthy can liao... i oso dun want too big, if not, i'll push until dunno wat...

blackbatz,

i will ebm whenever im free or watching tv. just in case, i need to go out run errands and bb needs milk, my mum can feed her.
happy.gif
actually, its a mistake to buy the medela PIS cos im a SAHM, since buy already then use lor...

wendy,

errrhhhh...wat is VIA? pardon me for my ignorance. i didn't attend any pre-natal class during preggie. i went to kiddy palace just now to buy the NUK latex teats and screw caps. the caps fit nicely on the similac glass bottles. going to buy somemore tomorrow...

chaye,

i must really SALUTE to u... how not to wash hair for 12 days??? i think i will scratch till my scalp bleed lor.

mylife,

i understand how u feel when ur PIL sing the same tune as tat "midwife". how irritating right??? my MIL also commented tat i dun drink milk tatz why got no milk... wat the Fxxx lor??? cows eat grass also can produce MILK wat... LOL
happy.gif
happy.gif
anyway, when i was in mt E, everyone were so pro BF and encouraging esp the lactation consultant. the nurses are great as well. thumbs up for their service.
happy.gif
newborns can actually survive w/o food for the 1st 2 days if i didn't remember wrongly and colostrum is good enuf. btw, how is ur flow coming along?

sassy,

U make me laugh with your comments about cows eat grass! *LOL*

Breastfeeding while still in hospital...

Since we are at this topic here, do I tell the nurses to bring the baby to me every 2 hours or whenever he cries? I want to make sure instructions are being passed down and they don't feed my baby with formula.

AhCapp
For #1, she was borned 40 wks 6 days. I was scheduled for induction on the next MOnday, but luckily she came out tat weekend. She was borned 3.6kg. This time ard, my gynae say #2 oso abt there, seems smaller, but ah, let him stay longer I duno ah!

Babe
I ask gynae induction isit more painful, he say Yes, cos you are changing a process tat could take weeks to finish up in a few hours. Hmmm... I hear liao, better dun induce.

Ah Capp, juz insist that u are on tbf and they will bring bb whenever he cries for milk. At least that was the practice for tmc. Usually abt 3hrly coz bb first few days also quite drowsy esp if u have epi or GA.

Mom2nat, I also praying he will come out quickly on his own. I know my gynae is the kind that will wait unless bb distress. But for me coz CL dun wan stay over CNY, will be prob. Might even end up having CL only for 3 wks if he continues to be v happy in my tummy. Today see gynae also not engaged nor dilated so I really dunno..apparently still v active...muz do some pep talk liao..

Babe,

Thanks for the info. =) I giving birth in Mt A. Want to make sure everything is being followed while I am still blur blur after my delivery.

Mom2nat,

Now I also worry about induce. I heard it's painful. =S I just hope my baby will not wait too long before coming to join me and my hb.

Babe
Gynae say my baby not fully engaged, still got water all ard, placenta looks good, we just wait for natural labour!! My CL if stay for CNY I think $2600, but I have to let her go back 5 days, then she come back after the 5 days to finish up and oso make good the 5 days.

mylife
Mils and moms ALWAYS say we got not enough milk, bb crying bcos of tat, why dun do this do tat! I gana for #1, damn depressing, pek chek enough liao, still gimme such useless comments. But the nurses in the hosp where I was at told me baby was crying cos she wants me to carry. So make me put one of my PJs next to baby to smell!! She say dun always carry, but hor, heartpain. So.... end up my girl always wan me to carry and sticky to me. At 2nd month she already recognise me and I walk away she cry... until now she still v sticky to me. The PD and nurses told me, I have to decide who is the "king" lor... end up she is.

So dun be discouraged. My girl's weight dropped for 1 week, cos I din have enough milk and my nipples were bleeding liao... but rem, milk will come in soon. And hor, my girl din take any water until a few months old. Cos I v bo liao, read something abt water intoxication! haha...

Mom2nat,
Bleeding nipples, is it because of wrong latching? For me, milk came in on 3rd day. Now, I have to deal with engorgement.

OMG!!!!! If #1 late, #2 likely to be late also??!!! Think I going to faint liao. My boobs lying on my tummy and tummy resting on my thighs. I dont know how long I can tahan. I dont want to go thru induction AGAIN. YES, its very very painful.

mylife,
Think if I am in your shoe, I will lodge a complaint.

Congrats to the new mummies!! So many of you have delivered already! Gosh...anyway, I also went to see my gynae this morning. Doc said baby is engaged already, so a matter of waiting now. He didn't do any cervix check for me leh...is it very painful?? If I don't feel anything these few days, I will have to go back see gynae again on 11 Jan...wonder when will my baby wanna come out!

Valencia..why is inducing birth very painful???

Btw...for those of you who did not do any Brazilian waxing, how much of your pubic hair did you shave or not shave? Anyone had the experience of the hospital nurse shaving it before delivery???

blackbatz
Yes, cos I have flatter nipples, v hard for me to get my girl to suckle well, I only learnt the trick after I went back to the hosp 1 week later and ask for help. My girl was chewing and chewing lor. Finally I know how, then not so bad.

Val
Not trying to scare you. Each pregnancy is different lor. But my gynae not pro induction, he say unless I feel strongly abt it, like v heavy, I can't take it liao or wat.
Today hor, he oso din bother to take baby's measurements or weight. He told me b4 as baby gets bigger, the estimation not so accurate. And his concern is everything looking good, not really to measure the exact increase or wat. End up I oso dare not ask! hee....

guess wat... the disposable latex NUK teats looks exactly as those i bought from kiddy palace just now. *faint* i threw away all liao... only 1 left. any idea if i can still re-use it???

hammies
I just explained why induction more painful... cos you forcing a process tat is might take weeks to finish up in a few hours. Tat means baby might take another 2 weeks, but induction speed up the process so much... or cos you endure more pain. Errr... layman terms lah, tats how my gynae explain to me.

congrats to mum (aug_22sg), Luvv, Chan Chin Chin
babyling and Lynn ....

wow Chaye ur prince really handsome!!!!

mylife hack care what they say ...... hate all these comments ..... just one ear in one ear out lodge complaint! dun care!

sassy,
Since its called as disposable, then I dont think you should keep it.

mom2nat,
For Randall, I was wk 41 already and estimated weight then was 3.92kg. With my frame, was afraid couldnt go thru natural. Thus, went thru induction. This time round, this gynae nv say anything. Juz said "we shall wait and see how". How meaning what then I truly got no idea.

hammies,
For me, the contraction comes immediately my gynae broke the water bag. And the contraction was very very very intense. Usual case maybe contraction 1 hr interval and slowly reduce the interval. But for induction, within 1-2hrs, each contraction comes within minutes.

Hi, mummies.
happy.gif

Back from Vivocity. Watched AVP2 with hubby, ate at Carl Junior cos super long queue at Marche and it was raining. Gold Class seats were comfortable but since tickets are expensive $30 each, will save for special occasions only. Thanks to Steph, I went for toilet break at the right time and skipped the mummy giving birth to aliens part. hee.
happy.gif

Bought the Panasonic ionic hair straightener from Best Denki, $49. Hiao, want to bring it to hospital so that my first photo with BB won't be so awful with messy hair. Will try it out first, hope it works. ;)

My CL also charges $2.6k. I don't know if she's going back for CNY. Hope not since I'm already paying her $800 more than her usual rate. :p

val
same same... my gynae oso say we just wait! Your gynae and mine maybe go same class learn same things tog, some tots. Haha... I hope I give birth by next week. He tell me "if you are lucky".

Sassy
The teats not tat exp right? Just buy lah!!! Please, spend say $20 in all, you can save the trouble of worrying can reuse or not, safe or not!

Kitsune hahaha .... wow u bought straightener ..... me wanna buy jus now althought I have one at home but i feel that one not tat strong! I bought a hair dryer instead wanna secretly go bath when MIL not ard hahah then quickly blow it dry hahahah

hammies,

I didn't go for any wax or shave myself. For my gynae, she said no need to shave my pubic hair if I am going for natural. But for c-sec, she'll shave off a bit from the top for the c-sec cut.

kitsune,

My CL same rate as yours during CNY.

hammies03,
i just went for my checkup this afternoon & gynae did a cervix check cos i told him i got menses cramp this morning from 6.45 to 8+ am... cannot sleep at all due to the on & off pain.... so he ask me if i want to induce but he need to check if cervix open then he can help to induce by bursting the waterbag at hospital... well, what he did was put his finger in & 'dig dig' then tell me not yet loh... erm not painful but i told hb what gynae did & he say he feel like his wife got molest by another man leh.. but bopian cos we dunno how to determine whether cervix open or not mah.... so my cramp this morning is a false alarm though i m praying hard that bb will be born this weekend so that i can start my maternity leave this monday!! :p

haha QQ, I can't wait to try. The one I bought got some sticker saying "Singapore Women's Weekly Award", so hope it's good. Thought of trying today but too late liao. Straighten then go and sleep, like so stupid.
happy.gif

SuperBee, my gynae will only do cervix check at 39 weeks. Hope it's not painful. I also a bit scared. :p

Past midnight, hubby's birthday is today. Joked with him that I wanted to let BB be his BD present but she don't want to come out. He said never mind, still got 24 hours. Haha. ;)

Haha, true QQ, mine also female gynae.
happy.gif
But she's leaving for pte practice liao and I can't follow cos no company subsidy for pte gynae. Boo hoo hoo.
sad.gif

kitsune, i m @ week 38 & gynae check today becos i tot my contractions start liao & can't wait to get my bb out too... hehee... :p anyway no worries... i wont say painful but feel 'molest' by anothe man.... :p ur hubby is correct, got 23hrs to go.. so it can b possible leh! happy celebration ya.
happy.gif

Haha, SuperBee, think hubby joking only lar. Cos BB's head not even engaged yet, how to come out. But ya, think he really doesn't mind sharing BD with BB, unlike me. I like my BD to be unique. Your BB engaged at 38 weeks liao?
happy.gif

But hope she comes out on Sat morning so that I can save 2 days of ML cos asked HR, ML starts on Monday if admission date is Sat. Already need to lugi 3.5days because of CNY Eve, CNY & Good Friday. Hope to cut my 'losses' to the minimum. Haha.
happy.gif

Back