(2006/01) Jan 2006 MTBs

orange
My little one is now 6months. She was born 1 day after my birthday at midnight
happy.gif

any of u send ur girls for ballet? I saw this really cool music & dance school called The Ballet and Music Company (or was it Music and Ballet company) and sent my girl in for the free music assessment to assess if A is ready for music classes cuz she kept asking for violin & ballet classes. All was good, the school was FANTASTIC, the teachers were great (all ang mo) until I asked the fees. I don't think I'm ready to commit $170/term for ballet or $170/month for violin classes unless she is really talented or she shows me that she's really interested in it.

In the end, I decided to let her resume ballet classes with Ballet Eastern at Bukit Panjang CC. Only $85/term. As for violin, maybe I'll wait till she's 6yrs then send her for violin at a CC as well since the min age requirement is 6yr.

Hi MamaPanda

Oic. So nice. Next time your gal n you can celebrate birthday on the same day.
My gal went ballet when she was 2.5 yrs old.she learnt for 1.1/2 yrs. And 1 day she told me she dont like ballet anymore, so i stop her ballet.

orange,

Welcome! I have a Dec 05 boy (his EDD was suppsoed to be Jan 06) and a Apr 09 boy.

Wow, ballet at 2.5 yrs old? Isn't it a bit too young? Can your girl keep her concentration?

Flo,
ok, thanks. Will check out Turf City for hte swimming lessions.

MamaPanda,
Also looking around for violin teacher, but not really looking very hard for one yet. Thinking of starting Isaac only next Jan.
I would prefer a private tutor actually.

RE. Art Classes
I'm thinking of sending Isaac to short term art classes... cos he is always drawing something at home. Cannot see much talent, but at least to keep him occupied after school or weekends, rather than being glued to the TV / X-box the whole day! ANy recommendations? Nothing too expensive!

Hi Orange
Welcome! I have a Dec 05 girl

Queen
You can check out Crestar. Mel is currently attending the Junior Picasso class at Thomson Plaza Branch under Teacher Esther. Her class is very lively, the kids adore her.

hello mummies

Hi queen,

My gal was very introvert. i signed her up because i want her to mix around with other gals.

Hi florence

My gal loves drawing too but i didnt enrol her to any art class.

mashy
when come to shopping you veyr onz.

Flo
hee hee Mel is going to be a all rounder, piano, swimming and art. you can start sourcing for dance.

Orange
welcome
Mine is a 2002 gal and a 2006 boy. Also about 4 years apart. Ha ha I am not as lucky, my kids fight like nobody business. Jie Jie cannot lose out and will compare, didi size is big and rough.

Mummies
enjoy while you can. Wait till you join me on the next phase running after the older one to do homework, revise for exam, stress out by teacher ha ha

Hi Mummies,

Apologies but am searching for a Babysafe Mattress for baby.. Do pm me if you've any to let go, with the condition, dimensions, pictures etc.

Appreciate it lots and thanks! =)

CL

hahaha!

you're right about that! I need to get a job next year to keep this up though.

Anyone wanna employ me as personal shopper?
happy.gif
I can shop for the best deals.
happy.gif

mamapanda
You went to the ballet and music company at CCK? My gal is learning her violin there. can see some improvements and she gradually more willing to practice the violin.
happy.gif
you mentioned that the fee is $170/month, is it 45 min?

hi everyone, if anyone's looking for an old piano for your kid, pm me for contact details.

I went to see a Yamaha U1 piano, 29 yrs old over the weekend but decided against getting it (for personal reason). Now helping seller to publicize a little coz he needs to sell it quick.

ps. I don't hv any interest or guarantee in this, just doing a favour.

.ky.

Hi Mommies,
how is everyone doing? I haven't been in here for a long time, I think I 'see' you all more in Facebook than in here
happy.gif
But I need your advise this time round, hope some thoughts will help me straighten my thinking...

Need advise from any mommy.. you know the 2005 kids will be registering for pri 1 next year, s included. I always thought I would put her into Henry Park, being my ala matar, even went and registered to be a alumni already. But lately have been 2nd thoughts as I have been hearing feedback about Henry park paying lots more attention on their GEP students and their top two classes and only sparing minimal attention on the rest of the students. Also have been thinking a school with affiliation is a no fuss way of sec school education. So I'm in quite a dilemna as to what I should do. Another option I have is to send her to CHIJ, either Bukit Timah or Kellock. Friends have been telling me I'm crazy to choose IJ over Henry Park, any advise would be great!

Henry Park
Pros
1) Academically good school with GEP programme
2) Wide variety of CCAs with history of producing well rounded students
3) History of producing top students

Cons
1) Heard unfavourable reviews from a parent who send his kids there that the new principal is much more 'Academic driven', and pushes the GEP and top classes, whileas the average classes have much much lesser attention.
2) No affiliation to any secondary school, S will need to study well and score well to get into a good sec school

CHIJ
Pros
1) Very holistic environment which focuses on developing student's personal development
2) known for a caring environment where students bond, enjoy their schooling and develop into a morally strong and caring person
3) Affilation to secondary, St theresa and JC

Cons
1) academically not strong and teachers don't push students to study
2) Students focus more on projects and fun CCA
2) limited CCA and facilities

I realise that yoru child's character also matters in the school you choose. Knowing S, I think she will enjoy IJ environment as she herself is a mild person with a very soft heart. She's not very competitive, and I don't know how she will cope with pressure, haven't tested her yet
happy.gif
But I also think that she will be able to cope with Henry Park, with abit of pushing, but dunno how well she will do there. My main worry utimately is I want her to be able to go to a somewhat respectable Secondary school, and to maximise whatever potential she has, to try her best, so to speak.

My next step would be to call the schools to see whether I can get in and take a look, though I know its tough to do so in some schools...

So help, your two cents will be very appreciated, gals!

Sleepingdeer
I have friends' kids in P1/P2 in CHIJ Kellocks will help you ask.

From my neighbour in office whose girl in RGPS and boy P4 in henry park, she is not in favour of henry park

ha ha about the pushing part. Most pple think NYPS is very xiong and I was also worried Charmaine cannot cope. But it is really too early for me to tell based on her first 2 years, i would think the stress comes in P3 onwards.

The pushing will not necessary come from the school. Long long time ago, parents sees it is the responsibility to teach a kid. Now it is the teacher who expect the student to come equip with the info.

Beginning this year, charmaine is totally put off by her Maths teacher. Fierce, and the kids really hate her to the extent some refuse to give her Teacher's day present. Charmaine was one of them in the first quarter and did badly for her first test. I also received call from this teacher who follow up very closely on her attitude. Once I work it out , and the teacher starts to praise her in class she starts to enjoy Maths once again.

So regardless of the school, the teachers play a important part. My fren put her son in a reputable school in the east, in the end, he has changed 4 chinese teacher within first year. So what good does it made if it is a good school, yet no good teachers and no follow thru.

It is not uncommon that the turn over rate is high in school but that school must have enough finance or resources to maintain a certain standard I feel.

FYI, Charmaine's english teacher is not as good as her Primary 1 teacher. I was so glad she got wonderful teachers in year 1 that makes her like the school. but second year has been a challenge for me

Sleepingdeer,
feedback from my fren girl P1 in CHIJ Kellocks:
" I agree they don’t push the kids academically & takes things more easy, as compared to River Valley, which her nieces are attending.

The school takes an encouraging approach to teaching children. For e.g, during National Day Celebrations, they had a Parents & Child Bonding Games Day. After all the games were played, each child went home with a medal and the medals were given in terms of values such as “Best Team Spirit”, “Best Sportsmanship”, instead of Gold, Silver, Bronze. They inculcate the value that each child is a winner, which I think is excellent "

Colleague whose boy is P4 at Henry Park and is in the midst of transferring him out
"If the kid is academically smart go for henry park. Honestly the school , the teacher is disorganised and yes you are right they dun focus on general . Principal will be out soon. if the person taking over the position is VP , this person is not fantastic either.

Another concern do take note, they will move to temp holding school for renovation. "

Hi chicken Little,
thanks for your help! yes, I know what you mean, the teachers make alot of difference, my neighbourhood secondary 'gangster' school had the best teachers I ever came across, compared to Henry Park then, haha!

Do you know why your friend is not in favour of Henry Park?

Yes, alot of my friends say NYPS is very tough, my fren was considering NOT putting her gal in cos worried she would study all day and tuition all night, but in the end decided to try it, her thinking is also the same as yours, can transfer if her gal really cannot cope...her gal goes in same year as S...

Hi Chicken Little,

thanks for the great info, this is really helpful! Yup so far, what your fren said is pretty consistent with what I heard about CHIJ, they do lots of team building and character development form within, promoting confidence, bonding and values... they don't push the students in terms of studies and just let them develop at their own pace, which means I will have to be the one who pushes S if I want her to perform academically, and I'm so very slack in thie area!

Wow, to actually transfer your kid out means there's something really seriously wrong huh? I heard about them moving, probably to Raffles JC site, but so far feedback from frens who used to be RJC students say the environment is ok, and facilities adequate, and its just a stone's throw away form Henry Park, so no major concern there. But I'm concerned about what your colleague just confirmed, the not so good princpals and the attitude of the teachers. The other thing is, while all of us parents want our kid to be acaedmically smart, there's only so much your kid can do right? While it will be a lovely surprise if S can make it to the top, I don't aspire or expect for her to do so unless she really do have the brains, and right now, how can you tell? Haha, I look at her and I really don't know whether she will suffer or thrive in Henry Park... sigh... It's like counting your chickens before they hatch, and after hatching, die die must make the requistic number...

yup even for charmaine she still have not "kai qiao" i very much have to push her to do her work and she is looking at me like a evil witch making her do so much work but i am only doing revision ha ha

My colleague was working on transferring out since last year and yes yes imagine she is moving him the bukit panjang primary school woh

this is the next feedback from a mummy P2 in CHIJ Kellock

Pros
1) Very holistic environment which focuses on developing student's personal development
2) known for a caring environment where students bond, enjoy their schooling and develop into a morally strong and caring person
3) Affilation to secondary, St theresa and JC
[vs: Yes, good for #1 and #2. The current principle has a strong focus on the arts. I can see the diff between IJK and my son's school - boring!
I don't know if affiliation to St Theresa is a good thing...it does not perform well academically.]

Cons
1) academically not strong and teachers don't push students to study
2) Students focus more on projects and fun CCA
2) limited CCA and facilities
[vs: depends on which school you are comparing to. #1 - I thought they were academically ok. I'm glad the teachers don't push. However,
I've heard of gals from other classes with super-on teachers. #2 - maybe.
I'm just glad my gal's having fun learning.
#3 - again, depends on who you compare to. Appears fine to me. But then, I've only got a "lagi chiak lat" SJI Junior to compare to.
Bernie's doing tennis & ballet. They have a dance studio, gym, netball court, basketball court, arts room, cool library...don't see it being very bad - I have simple taste "

Ha ha sleeping deer, more feedback from same person on henry park
They are not what they are perceived to be maybe the standard has dropped drastically over the years. The school used to be very parents friendly and their Parent Association used to be very strong but I cant say for now. Much of this I noticed and also understand from parents happens after the current principal took over. I heard he is shipping out but I cant confirm that.

Anyway the damaged done will need a very strong successor to rebuilt.

Advice: if she is a girl I will advice her to try either MSG, SCGS or Nanyang for affiliated schools otherwise RGPS will definitely be a much better choice.

she is going to share with me long story about exactly why she transfer out woh. so haha for more details, you have to wait till i arrange to lunch with her.

then again ha ha she is so against it, the feedback can be geared to an extreme

Hi Sleepingdeer

On Henry Park, I have a fren with her triplets in there and a neighbour who sends her dd all the way there ... so far no complaints (but no fantastic praises either). I recently bumped into a fren who complaint that her P1 girl have so much homework - she takes 1.5 hrs each night to complete... but my neighbour's P1 girl doesn't have that issue (not much homework) ... so really, it could be down to the teacher that your kid got.

From what I hear CL writes abt the IJ school ... point (1) on cons is impt. I just transferred my son from his school in Bukit Batok back to the original school that I wanted him to go to in CCK ... the former school is more like the IJ school ... more on character building n less push on academic. One concern I have is on Chinese, n for me, coz mine are boys, I tend to want to push them. So far, he's got good teachers in both schools. Ask yourself, if you should get teachers that are no good, can you coach or afford to send to tuition centre to bridge that gap? I recently spoke to a mum whose boys all go to ACS ... no homework, very layback, very little update ... coz school believes that every kid goes to tuition n so a lot of work push back to home. BUT the big plus point is the "discount" given to get into the ACS sec schools is HUGE! Someone said to me before that as a parent, you can help so much and by gaining to help with the point discount with affiliation, it's the most that one can do coz for the next 6 yrs, it's really up to the kid. For me, I transferred son out from the school with affiliation to one without bcos of 2 reasons (1)the latter school is academically much stronger (2)the school is nearer. I gave up on the affilation bcos the point discount is very little n noone can assure how the discount will be like in 6 yrs' time. My neighbour's girl reaches home at 7.25pm, way past almost every kid in my estate. Mine reaches home at 6.50pm n with that extra 1/2 hr, he can done with a swim, bath, n dinner. I really do not believe in sending kids that far away to school ... ok, unless it's NYPS or MGS :->

oh, this girl is doing gym in school. She's asked to join and that to me, it's a + point, coz my son does gym.... BUT you can always supplement these additional CCAs outside school, if you are clear what your focus is.... he was doing badminton in his former school n we gave that up as well but seeking an alt outside school curriculum. Ask the primary schools if they have open house... that's the time to talk to the teachers and see the work, or checkout the PSG websites and coldcall the parents ... that's what I would do if I desperate need to get firsthand info. Oh, Henry Park has ice-skating but it's by external vendor and supported by the PSG, not school .... I hear the renov is only for 1/2 yr though it's stated as longer in the MOE website ... RJC compound has I think 5 (or 4) lecture halls and small classroom ... big field, big gym. nothing fantastic ya ... qn asked is also if the school is a single session n also perhaps the school intake (IJ bukit timah got a max of 6 class each yr or less I think?) ... that's one of the negative point I have with my son's current school now....

.ky.

Hi,
i have a junior bed from Ikea to let go. Please pm me if any of you are interested.

It is as good as brand new..Damien refused to sleep on it.
4609344.jpg

Hi chicken Little and KY,
thanks so much for your advise so far... I know where yoru advise is coming from and wow, it's so hard to decide. I've heard from other friends too, and their view are similar to yours and what I've been thinking. My brain keeps bouncing from one school to another, ahaha...

I've heard good and bad about both schools, and the pros and cons pull me in different direction. I've thought about distance, CCA, teachers, charater building, single or double sessions, co-ed or all girls, extra enrichment... blah blah blah... the two schools are as different as chalk and cheese! One is single session, 1 is partial, one is academic, one is laidback, one is co-ed, 1 is all girls, one has affiliation, 1 doesn't....

KY, yes, even with affiliation it's tough, while the points 'discount' is alot in IJ, do I really want S to go to St. Teresa, which is not really a good sec school? So, I shouldn't bank on it if I don't want her to go to st. theresa right?

There's so much to consider, my next step is to try to go to the schools and see for myself, and have a serious discussion with hb, see whether he can decide, haha

Reg the old RJ compound, the classrooms are too tiny to fit a pri sch class. Maybe they have pulled down the walls to make bigger classrooms? Anyway, I love the school compound last time. And it has a huge track unlike most pri schs where they only have a small field.

Hi Mashy,
yup my neighbour who used to be from RJC also said the same thing, she said she really enjoyed the school when she was studying so she doesn't have concerns about her son, who's in Henry Park now, moving there.

BTW, did you try the sugar bubble?

Sleepingdeer

no, haven't searched the thread yet. So busy this mth with the MRI, numerous hospital appts and took up as a mystery shopper lately. Busy busy busy. Anyone wanna be mystery shopper can let me know. Must hv driver's license and can drive and able to do during weekdays.

Hi mummies,
Good to see our thread alive again... All the talk about schools... Even on sec school and jc. Makes me wonder whether I'm too laid back. I haven't give much thought to this even though Isaac has to register for P1 next year. I'm just going to take the easy way out and put him in my HB's old school. Never think beyond that liao...

Mashy,
What's with the MRI and tests? Hope things are ok ?

Flo,
I enrolled Isaac in the picasso junior class at Crestar in civic centre.

mashy
me me! sounds quite interesting.....

wow a lot of talk on sch!!! i haven think abt it too cos will jsut send back to nanyang. lucky it
s co-ed and i dun need to fret

but i think it may be quite stressful.

now their cc got homework and i m the one who has to make sure they finish. so little homework jh is already resisiting. cannot imagine how it will be next time. jx is quite excited abt it though so i guess it evens out...

Queen

my boy gotta go for the MRI coz he isn't growing well. Anyway, the results are out, it's clear. His pituitary gland is smaller than normal so that could be the reason for his less than optimal growth hormones. We are to decide whether to give him growth hormones. Prob by this dec. Dr said his response should be very good coz he is lacking in growth hormones and children like this respond very well to the therapy.

Hi Mummies
I m back
happy.gif
lol. I have been teaching my son by using activity books at home. In school, he learn tracing and writing ABC, counting and some simple chinese words and Heng,pie and etc
happy.gif
I heard from his form teacher tat now Nursery only need to trace and write some simple words
happy.gif

Hi Mummies
Anyone alr start letting ur kids to do some activity books for nursery this year??? In fact, In april i alr started to let my son do activity books liao
happy.gif
Recently i bought a few more activity books for him to do for next year when he's going to K1
happy.gif

i got a pair of new Sansha canvas ballet shoes kids size 10 to let go cuz A's ballet teacher insisted that she must wear leather for classes. Anyone interested?

Next year will be a very challenging year for me. Damien will be in k2. Must spend alot efforts on him inorder to get him ready for p1. Primary school is another big issue for me coz my next house will only be ready in 2012. Cannot decide which school to go.

Hi mummies,
Long time no come in. Thread becoming pretty quiet.
Actually wanted to check something with u all. I remembered some of u wanted to go for LASIK some time back. Wanted to check the contact and whether the doc was good...

Hi mummies,

How are all of you?
Yah, the thread has gone quiet...
Wonder anyone of us is having no. 2 or 3?

BP,
How are you going to prepare Damian for P1?
I asked whether isaac's school will give homework in K2. They say no, whatever it'sdone in class is more than enough... I'm so out of touch with the current pri school curriculum than I have no idea what is the standard now. I'm actually quite glad that Isaac is not getting homework, CID it means I don't have to spend time supervising either!

Re. Violin teacher
Any of your kids having regular violin lessons now?
School or private? I'm trying to find a private teacher who's willing to teach myself and Isaac together. Preferably can come to north area. Any recommendation?

Hihi,
kind of quiet here. I didn't come into the thread for sooooo...long.

SH,
I did my lasik more than 6 years ago at SNEC. I think I still trust SNEC better since it's govt clinic. I have friends who went to Mt E and also Paragon, one of the clinic and the results not so ideal. probably also due to the fact that they have high stigmatism.

My hubby is a old boy of Henry Park so in order to save trouble, Clariss will be going Henry Park. However, as we are staying in the north, we will have to move south west to be nearer to the school.
The properties are still so high. really very headache. I still have 1 year to plan but hopefully the property prices will be more manageable.

Mashy
Ha ha i am still plucking my courage will probably go next year. Dr Julian really good even my fil very happy with him. My fil recovers very well from his cataract.

Oh ya guess those on facebook are aware that our Celine has given birth to her 2nd princess.

Congrats congrats.

My gal just broke my specs.
sad.gif
just now called to book LASIK appt and earliest is in mid Jan. Dec all fully booked as dr theng is going away for 2 weeks.

No lei. I make an online appt on the day I posted the qn in this forum. Was thinking of waiting for u all to respond. The clinic only got back last fri. The assistant said he opened up some new slots in dec. So guess I was lucky. On the way there now. A bit scared eh....

long time never come to this thread. how's everyone?

queen
my gal is learning violin in musical school at CCK central. we are changing her to another school w.e.f next Jan 'cos we have communication barrier with the current teacher.

Mummies,
Jamie is still interested in learning violin.
Any other recommendation?

Sunny,
Which sch u changing her to? I tried calling a few, most class are full. And those to home, they dun want to travel to Jurong West. I promised to start her with violin when she is 5yo but cannot find one.

Back