(2005/06) Due in June 2005, Any 1

<font color="ff0000">bbrooster</font>
ya indeed touching line from you. It is gog to be April soon, time for u to give birth to #2 &amp; time for my gal to be 1st 1 here to turn 3 YO. haha..

<font color="0000ff">Sally</font>
mine is still GAIN. Not changing it as she still luv this FM ALOT.

twinklets,
Gain is out for A cos he will LS when he takes that. So PD said Dumex also cant then. so not much choice left ya - friso, enfa, nan, nespray, hmm what else?

Sally,
huh will LS huh.. got any reason for that?
I dunno leh. How abt Dumex? How abt GROW, but also from Abbott lar. dunno A will LS or not lar..

Jo is on Nestle Nestlac 1+. Cheap also $28.50 for 1.8kg. Why are you changing milk for A? I think if you can stick to your old brand would be best because they are so used to the taste it's not easy for them to accept another taste.

Shane
nice to have you back! Enjoying your new surroundings and more food?
happy.gif

LV
saw your post, and had to answer. otherwise, I'l remain one of the guilty silent readers
happy.gif

For our family, the maid's main task is to take care of the kids. One reason is, I'm not like the super mummies here who have high standards for their homes!
happy.gif
And with my hb and my working schedules, the maid plays vital role in taking care of the kids.

However, we are mindful of the attitudes, character and mindsets that comes with the maid, that would inevitably influence the children. This is above the superficial things like language, habits and accent. As we're both working, and our parents as well, we know that this would apply to a nanny, or full-time CC as well.

We chose a maid, cos we wanted someone who speaks English, and who can help out 24/7 with us. And since we grew up with maids ourslves, we kinda figured we didn't turn out too badly too!
happy.gif
hehe..

LV, i think it's all abt managing your expectations. If I had to send my kids to my parents for example, I have to contend with their way of bringing them up. If it was a nanny, it would be maybe dialect or different religious beliefs.

Of course ultimately, doing it yourself would be best. But having a maid does relieve both you and hb of misc stuff like packing the bag, preparing the food, carrying groceries (carrying milk tins and diapers is no joke!!) etc.

Like what jaymom and shane shared, the maids do improve quality of life. Let me share what some of my colleagues do. When they go overseas for holidays with the childrn (anything under 6 yr old), as long as there's more than one child, the'll bring their maids along. To ensure everyone has a good time. That's how much of an asset extra hands are!
happy.gif

I hope that helps! sorry for really long post!

bbrooster
Jia you! we're in this together!
happy.gif

sally
N1 is on Nespray and sometimes fresh milk.
N2 is on Neslac
I think I shared before, it's all abt saving cost! hehe... hb &amp; I tend to think that all the FM is like the differnt grades of petrol. At the end of the day, no difference in octane.

twinklets,
dun noe why lei LS, PD said could be the oil the FM used which A not used to.

bbrooster,
Now he is on pediasure, but pediasure not growing milk, thus wan to change to growing milk when he turns 3. Is neslac dilute? Maybe when I pass u the OTC items, i bring a milk dispenser, u give me two scoops can? 1 scoop 60ml, right? for A to try, heehee

mckee,
me also looking at nespray cos this is the brand we drank when young. heehee N yes veri cheap. :) that is why I looking at. First I thinking of dugro, but also under dumex range, n not sure will LS or not. So scare to dry. N nespray easy to get from my provision shop downstairs. heehee Is nespray dilute? u noe the FM that I used to buy n A would not take in the end, it all went to hb's stomach. heehee cos so wasted, as FM so ex. Even weekends when A cant finish, n hb around, I will ask hb to finish it off. hahahaha

shane,
E picked up the 'anorexic' behaviour of inducing vomit? it must have be another reason to make u jump at her. try reasoning with her cos E v smart, she'll understand. Sometimes K did something bad or undesirable, but i'll tell her what went wrong n why she shouldn't do it. She'll remember it n repeat what is not supposed to do. i find these days so much more fun to communicate with them because it's no longer a one-way communication.

shane,jaymom,
as for maid, i'm soooooo scared that she'll influence my kids greatly if she stays. Because i do hear K picking up some of her language accent for some words.

And JR seems to like her. everytime she plays with him, he'll smile and giggle or 'talk' with her. he takes a longer time to warm up with me.

yest, maid took initiative to sleep with JR in another room so as to separate the kids due to K's fever. I was remorsefully upset that JR has to be outsourced. sometimes is not because i dont want to do spend time with him but K gets jealous and will do anything to try to get our attention away from JR like crying or disturbing bb (if JR is in our arms). after that, maid will come n say she tends to baby.

keeping the house clean and cooking by the maid are sort of bonuses to me and I can do without it. Cos previously i also engaged part time maid to come in twice weekly to do cleaning. Eating take-away food is also part of my family culture so i can go back to junk food life again (other than cooking for K and JR). so my maid's presence is really just an extra pair of hands to tend to the other child. And i contradict myself with my kids sticking to her and learning to speak like her.

i know of a group study on children looked after by domestic workers(maids) in the first 3 years of their lives. But the results finding not out cos it's still on-going. really hope there's a book on dummies on surviving on having maids!

and jaymom is right. It's so easy for some people to lash out tongues at mummies who go to work and neglect their children at home with maids (to let them suffer??) but there r always difficult sides to a story. By contributing to the family as a woman, i ease my hubby's financial burden, we have better quality life, i can afford my kids enrichment and many more. as much as i want to be a SAHM to my kids, many reasons deter me so for now.

and as for having watchful eyes over the maid when she's with bb alone, again, i'm not blessed with good helpful relatives. Most likely if i keep my maid as ultimate choice, the watcher will be 'CCTV' installed at home. 'Begging' people to help u is terrible. They can come up with the most ridiculous reasons to reject u, regardless how thick the blood is. The best persons to rely on our only ourselves.

I'm sounding a little melancholic this morning cos tended to K during the night and a little lack of sleep. And most impt, still unsure what's my childcare arrangement going to be like. SIgh...

LV,
I fully understand your shoes. That is why I keep delaying on no 2 as we both same, dun have anyone to help. We r just not blessed with any relatives to give a lending hand. Sad ya. Hb n I also dun wan to "beg", so I need to find my own solutions. Yes in the end we suffer lor. A also picks up all the nonesense in school n we have to keep telling him the correct ways. Of cos he will question us why cannot. Last nite I caned him one big time as he threwing a huge tantrum. Then in the end, he knew I wont give in to him, he quickly stopped n behaved. At bedtime, he told me he was veri sad. I asked him why, was it becos I caned him. He said no Akinesh naughty so mummy caned, akinesh sad cos mummy angry, akinesh happy if mummy happy. After hearing it, I wan to cry n feel so guilty in caning him. So I talked to him n explained to him. N he apologised to me n hugged me n said, mummy, pls dun be angry with me, u love me right? Sigh, after caning or smacking him, always feel so guilty. But when the tantrums come, it just drives u nuts. Oh n speaking of maids' language, whenever A goes to my mom's place, he will pick up some words n communicate with my mom's maid. So u see, even i no maid, he also picks up. hee

Hi gals,
thanks for the compliments on my hairstyle..
i think for a long time before i pluck up the courage to do it..

i must apologised for R's behaviour to sally n TL..
this notti tyrant..refused to shared cars with A and JJ...n the cars does not belong to him in the 1st place..faint..

caymom,
yup..the perm is the same as twinklets one..is call digital perm.

sally,
how i wish E will say that to me! E is not afraid of cane. sienz.

LV,
maybe u try to tahan. wait till jnr older, then u send her back and send jnr to cc.

actually sometimes i think i can do with p/t help too. but reality is full time cannot beat p/t. at least when i go home, there's someone to help me carry my bag, clean up the dogs, prepare dinner, wash the bottles, pack E school bag.....

these are the little things that i sometimes take for granted. so if you're w/o maid, u must bear in mind that when u rtn home with the 2 kids, you'll still hv such nitty gritty chores to attend to....

prudential kid's fest
anyone went for it? I brought N1 to Ball Pond Bobby on Monday. And it was really fun Very interactive, and she loved it! I think by next year, we will hve more options for them, as they get older.

LV
there's really a lot of trust involved when we leave the kids with the maid, or for the matter, anyone!

Really got to pray, that while you are with them now, you'llreally get to discern if the maid is good, and trustworthy. So that when you start work, it becomes easier. I guess trust is really built over time. so til then, we just got to keep a watchful eye
happy.gif

I'm in same situation as you. All relatives are busy, no one to help out. And at the same time, got to keep working, if I want to maintain a certain lifestyle standard for the family. Plus, despite being mother of 2 so far, I'm really not a kids person. I think I'll go crazy if I become a SAHM. how ah? this kind of mother!!!

sally
nespray is good and cheap! I don't drink milk now, so can't tell if it's diluted or not. But N1 got no problems with it ...

<font color="0000ff">mckee</font>
Our EDD is so close. Either you or me will pop first. How heavy is your baby now? I am going for check-up next week.

bbrooster
my EDD is Apr 26. Fr N2's experience, I'll probably pop in early Apr. Plus this is #3, so EVERYONE tells me pop date will be very early.

My bb is very small. Still less than 2kg. But again, N1 and N2 were also very tiny babies. Poor mummy has already put on 20kg!!! And still got scolded from Doc for not eating enough. I asked him how to ensure what I eat goes to bb and NOT to me. And he said, sorry, it's your genes!!!!!!!
aiyo, i dread the post natal period, when there's so much weight to lose!!!!

sally,
i just switch to Grow. Gain increase price! so i figured might as well let her go on growing up milk, since year wise, she's 3YO liow
lame.gif

i want to switch to cheap milk ley. but like what bbrooster say, think she use to taste.

now that they're older, quality of milk still matters or not ?

mckee,
so cute, so in the beg of the year, you'll always be hvg birthdays, Feb, Apr and June rite ? So nicely spaced out.
happy.gif

my dear shane...
i think we won't celebrate every child's bday on big scale. sure go POK!
happy.gif

we decided big bdays only for odd numbers. Age 1, 3, 5, 7 etc. But then again, N2's 1st bday was a small bday party. mebbe we do even numbers. But then, we also want to celebrate for N1 this year. sigh... how? aiya... no one told me when we were planning for kids, we've to consider all this!!!

<font color="0000ff">mckee</font>
To date I have put on 14kg. Baby was 1.8kg at 31 weeks. Let's see next week at 34 will he hit 2.2kg.

I also want to have a birthday party for Jo this year but imagine the same group of people for #2 full mth in May and then invite them back again in June for Jo's birthday. A bit too much right.

bbrooster
exactly! that's why we didn't do N2's full month. Cos his full month was March, then N1's bday in Jun. We figured the bday more important than the full month, cos he's not aware anyway! haha!! And to be very honest, we didn't need gifts for N2, cos we already have lots of toys for him. But N1 needed more gifts! haha!!
happy.gif

sally,
That's very mature of A to tell u such things. Actually for people like us, the next best arrangement should be to have a gap of at least 5 years for the next kid. Because the elder 1 is very independent already so u can have more time and effort to tend to the younger one. but then again, it would mean the siblings may not be as close or common things to share next time due to big age gap?

mckee, shane,
it's not about trusting the maid anymore. My biggest concern now is whether my children will pick up her mannerism and the way they speak under long influence. it's true that even if they go CC, they pick up from whomever they come into contact with. But at least they are still singlish.. i dont mind that.
some examples of PH accent and words pron:

Proper VS maid language
dangerous as 'dan-ge-roos'
'i used to do this back at home' as 'before, i do it at home'
'bear' as 'bur'

in short, I'm afraid my kids will speak like a filipino after another 1.5 years!

is nicole, jayden and esher speaking like your maid?

LV
haha! I know what you mean. I had a maid when I was growing up till Sec 2. My sis and I always had fun correcting her:

it's chick-kern, not chick-KAN
or car-zen for cousin, and not car-sin
of course the grammar as well. a bit off the mark.

but at the end, we spoke ok, cos my parents always corrected us. like now, we just correct nicole accordingly. Don't worry, they are very fast, and when they start school, they'll have more contact with singlish/non-filipino english. So your eventual problem would be singlish!
happy.gif
hehe...

<font color="ff6000">Forgetmenot</font>
I have forgotten about it till you mentioned! It's ok lah - please don't feel paisey just becoz Ryan wailed for not sharing toys. Hee.

You know, one thing I like about going out with forum mums is that we all know their 'cao kuan' (tods) and won't mind a bit. When I saw R cry till so poor thing also don't have the heart to take the toy away. Hee. If we are alone outside, strangers would stare, but when we are in this group, I don't see any paisey faces, coz no need to be. ok?
happy.gif

<font color="ff6000">Sally</font>
Wah, A so matured - can say all those to you. JJ not there yet. 2 days ago, JJdad punished for stepping on his laptop bag (luckily laptop ok) and after that I think JJ not happy with Daddy. He squeezed beside me. Then I have to remind JJ that he did something wrong and that's why Daddy punish him.

LV,
so far E is ok (or maybe i don't take notice *opps!*) i don't hear much maybe cos my maid is quite assimilated into S'pore as she worked here before. abit too well assimilated actually, i think she understand bits of chinese and can speak some words too. she also speaks with a singlish pattern also, alot of ya, lah, ah. but sentence structure very bad. and yes, E do pick the singlish bit! E picks up more from us and mil cos we spend the most time with her. I realise she speaks like my mil and me... haha, it's quite funi.

conversation now with her is really interesting. she can rationalise more things now.

mckee,
i don't mean a big party.... just a cake and blowing the cake. for my family, every birthday will have a cake but not a big do all the time. sure POK! hee hee....

bbrooster,
ya the first mth v close to J birthday. But I think relative wouldn't mind if you're close to them. Maybe u can consider inviting different gps for each occasions. Like relatives for Jnr full mth and friends for J birthday.

FMN,
Ya agree with TL. we all know their 'chao kuan' haha... so we all understand. no need to pai say. hee hee...
but when i'm with strangers or outside then quite stressed when she kicks up tantrums.

bbrooster
hahahahahaa
so this yr I am determined to hold a b-dae for my 2 S..esp Sky

Sky first birthday in Jun 06.... my housewarming in july..so din do a big one
Sky 2nd birthday in Jun07...mei mei first month in Jul...so again had to be a small one...
this yr..NOTHING will come in between...the birthday party for my 2..

<font color="ff0000">Sally,</font>
I should be switching to Grow since cay is on Gain now.

<font color="0077aa">FMN,</font>
I see. I think I need a lot of courage to do that as well. My previous perm didn't turn out well.
lame.gif

<font color="ff6000">Shane,</font>
Wow, you switched to Grow so fast? I noticed the increase in Gain's price. At first I thought it is an improved version but I compared it with the old one and realised there ain't any change.

Shane/LV/TL,
Ya his vocal actually improved so much that at times, I am realli impressed n lost in speech. Shocked at times he can say such thing. Just amazing how much they improved each day. kekeke Whenever I angry, he will sweet talk to me "mommy, come on, dun wori, no prob, dun be angry, mommy, u r a princess, u so pretty u noe, come come I sayang u, dun be angry, ok ok i kiss u, blah blah blah" After hearing, yr heart just melts lor.

FM,
thanks mommies for the feedback! Will go n check it out! Now more narrow from the choices in the market liao. heehee

caymom,
ya lor wanna save money =P but then i realised i forgot to check how much is the 1.8kg one. Scully same price.
sad.gif
then no much savings from the switch.

I bot the 900g tin to try out first. so far ok. the only thing is i wanted the 'normal/regular' one. but they only had vanilla and chocolate. do you know is it only these 2 types for Grow ? I'm afraid E will get used to drinking 'tasty' milk.

oh i also noticed Grow has less bubbles...

bbrooster,
I can go n pass to u on tuesday morning. sms u on monday if going. Or if Jodad wan to come n pick up on sunday, also can. SMS to arrange. :)

Hmmm thread so quiet.

Glayz,
still not back ah?

Anyone keen on childrens place spree if got 15% additional disc?

Shane,
chance upon that the learning vision at grassroots club also has MIM in Me enrichment prog, emailed them, now awaiting for reply. Also emailed little skool hse at AMK hub to check on the prog. Keep u posted. Meantime, u see pics from learning vision, their enrichment is under learning horizon, but same thing, just they divide, learning vision = cc, learning horizon= enrichment progs.
http://www.learninghorizon.com.sg/gallery/album.aspx?id=4

Mommies who are keen for yr gals to have ballet lessons, learning horizon also has:
http://www.learninghorizon.com.sg/Programmes/junior_ballet.aspx
http://www.learninghorizon.com.sg/gallery/album.aspx?id=3

So tired....

baby fair..not much to buy..and items not really cheap..but I still buy..as I will need to buy eventually... haiz

Caymom,Glayz,LV
do u both need finger brush from first teeth for yr no 2? I have 3 brand new. Can pass to u all. or anyone need?
Glayz, I took out yesterday, but forgot to ask u. heehee

sally,
thanks. i've some left from my own buying last time.

shane,
so fast can switch to GROW? i'm thinking of switching milk brand to Enfa or Friso because GROW only has vanilla/choc flavour which i dont want. Pediasure is already her choice of vanilla in the afternn. so i want to get to take the typical normal milk taste in the morning and night.

Re: maid influence on kids
looks like i have overcome this psychological barrier of mine. And we as parents try to speak more to the kids.I really dont wish go back to the days of sleeping only 3 hrs a day, think i'll break down. so have decided to keep the maid for long unless she's up to nonsense for me to send her away.

Term 1 coming to an end, time realli flies:
Today is the second time, Akinesh brought back his clear folder with all his arts n crafts done in school to keep at home. But surprised to find two books inside with his name stickers label on them. Shocked to have him received the books to keep. Din noe the kindy actually gives out n let them keep. He is so excited to read to me n tell me story based on the books. I m impressed with the books cos at the last page, teaching points to guide us in reading n what methods can be used to teach them n inspire to think. Even incl what activities you can come up based on the book. The book is not thick n simple words with colourful pics to capture their attention. I have not come across these books before, anyone has? Rigby Literacy. I find it veri interesting for them to read and learn, realli cater to their age group.
http://www.edventurebooks.com/Rigby/index.html
http://www.edventurebooks.com/Rigby/emergent.htm
Tomolo I must ask his teacher, what other titles will be given to them.

LV,
u need help or not in May when u get back to work? If u cant find anyone to oversee yr maid, u wan to bring bb JR n maid over to my place? I jagar for u? I usu back after dropping A around 9 to 9.30am, can make it for u to rush to work? May after that is june holidays. U can work something out then. If not, meantime I can help u jagar if u wan. Let me noe if u realli need help hor.

Sally
At taka

Finger brush..I WANT!!! PLS PLS PLS!!!!
anyway..to update... mei mei first tooth had being out!!! this morning la... ytd still flesh onli...so Sally u miss it...wahahahahahahhahaha

LV going back to work soon? Thought she extended her leave. So fast over? Sally, you want to be nanny is it or practise first before you have #2. I go holiday after birth and engage your service can or not? hahahaha......

Glayz,
okie can. Remember to take from me ya.

bbrooster,
Just lending her a hand lah if she needs help. We same boat mah, understand the stress of no helper n no one to lean on. U noe the feeling veri sad kind. Last time I will always cry out of the blue when I realli stress cos 24/7 not able to breathe esp when I sick. Now I guess numb already, but veri scare to go thru again. I told my hb last nite, maybe we should just stop at 1. heehee u dun need me lah, yr mil wont allow.

bbrooster,
yes yes hua hin is a much better place compare to phuket, romantic place. I din make it there last time, cos that time chose to stay at four seasons bangkok instead. My fren been there, n those frens from thailand will recommend there. There is a nice small luxury hotel there, good spa for relaxation n couple time. Yr fren going with kids? I go find the hotel name for u.

I going for 2nd honeymoon after birth. Kids not allowed! Initially plan for Bali but till now no news of Mas Selamat. I scared his sampan reach Indo by now. If he's there I don't want to go Bali anymore.

Alternatively, is go San Franc but bring Jo along.

bbrooster, then choose evason hotel hua hin, realli romantic. Must use the six sense spa. Maybe after the trip, no 3 coming along. heehee

bbrooster,
bali is nice too. I stayed both in FS jimbaran n ubud. Shiok. Villa pool is veri private, even u go nake, also no one see. heehee

yes that is my idea. that's why want to find a villa with private pool. and with the fats and stretchmarks you think i dare to expose myself at the poolside?

I see Evason with private pool is 12,000+ baht excluding 10% tax. Don't know how much is that? I have to check exchange rate.

Back